Author Topic: Thoughts on gamergate  (Read 26553 times)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on gamergate
« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2015, 08:07:21 PM »
Sounds very similar to the way movies are rated here. I recall watching a short documentary about the South Park guys trying to get their movie approved by the MPAA and it sounds really dang similar. No accountability, no real vetting process for who gets on the board, and the board's word is the LAAAAAAAAW.

I remember that interview. Also the part where they were like "Yeah, so instead we actually made a movie making fun of the MPAA, which we also thought was much more offensive, and they said it was okay, so whatevs."

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »
Some humor, when someone was told she was white:

https://storify.com/IjeomaOluo/when-you-suddenly-find-out-you-re-white

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »
Turns out there was a fourth SWAT, the victim is choosing to try to stay quiet, but people on 8chan are celebrating the fact that actual bullets were fired and their family dog died:

https://archive.today/nu4Lv
https://twitter.com/iglvzx/status/557241721856069632

I don't know who the victim is; a few people have claimed to have spoken to the victim and confirmed it, but obviously are not releasing names due to the victim's wishes.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2015, 10:58:40 PM »
#JonWick

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 20, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »
I really shouldn't beat this dead horse into the ground, but fuck it.

I'm finding both "pro-GG" and "anti-GG" sentiments increasingly frustrating.

people on 8chan are celebrating the fact that actual bullets were fired and their family dog died

people on 8chan are celebrating the fact ... [the victim's] family dog died

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2015, 08:05:56 PM »
I really shouldn't beat this dead horse into the ground, but fuck it.

I'm finding both "pro-GG" and "anti-GG" sentiments increasingly frustrating.

people on 8chan are celebrating the fact that actual bullets were fired and their family dog died

people on 8chan are celebrating the fact ... [the victim's] family dog died

You should. But I also shouldn't admit I've still been reading this topic. But hey. We both make mistakes.

Yes, two months down the road, I'm definitely, unquestionably wrong.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2015, 12:09:31 AM »
Yeah you definitely should not have done all the things gamergate did, which were definitely done by you, and you definitely should have not endorsed all those things gamergate did, which you endorsed at the time you said you were "frustrated" with them, which endorsement obviously endorsed all their future actions as well.  Also you should not have joined a SWAT team and shot that person's dog.  bad Andy.  bad.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2015, 09:20:37 AM »
While yes he never endorsed nor condoned the toxic actions of GamerGate, the vehement willful ignorance toward the toxicity of the movement, the false equivalencies drawn between both pro-GG and anti-GG sides, and commitment to neutrality despite the blatantly obvious* evidence that the core of GamerGate is and was a toxic harassment campaign that only paid lip service to its stated aims, not just on Andy and Ashley's part but on the part of a large majority of the GamerGate crowd that have been trickling away and abandoning the movement as the harassment ramps up to threats of violence to actual violence, is exactly the attitude that let this group become so noteworthy. Without people holding this attitude, without the people who got played like fuckin' fiddles by /pol/ and 8chan, Gamergate would have been a blip in the news in Indie gaming circles and never would have had the legitimacy it had for a few months.

*No, not just in hindsight. If you didn't see some horrible shit coming out of GG from the very beginning you were fucking wearing blinders.

That having been said, I am sorry, Andy, because I really should just let this go because Jim's right despite my protests in the last paragraph. You never condoned the actions and frankly the core group of harassers were probably going to ramp up to shit like SWATing anyway. It justs bothers me because SO MANY PEOPLE I know, not just you and Ashley, but a lot of my gamer friends on Facebook back in Albuquerque and Norwich fell hook line and sinker for the ethics in game journalism line and gave this movement way, way more legitimacy than it ever deserved.

EDIT: Met was right below, I meant /pol/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:59:40 PM by Makkotah »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2015, 09:51:26 AM »
Hey if we are beating dead horses, I should quote that link MC posted with the deluge of really impressively convincing GG propaganda. Seriously, I read that stuff and I was like "well, I can definitely see how someone would buy into some of this, it is pretty well made."

Also, I generally agree that remaining staunchly neutral on most debates is a good place to start. Especially if you are still gathering information on a topic.

Also also, there is still something positive about all of this in that it's clear video games are going to be taken seriously as a medium at some point very soon. Once the damage GG has done(and kind of still is doing) has healed over at least.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »
without the people who got played like fuckin' fiddles by /r/pol/ and 8chan, Gamergate would have been a blip in the news in Indie gaming circles and never would have had the legitimacy it had for a few months.

I believe you mean /pol/ not /r/pol.  /pol/ is the neonazi board on 4chan which now moved to 8chan.  /r/pol is a subreddit with 200 readers.

Like...to be clear, /pol/ is involved in gamergate.  One of the key players was called KingOfPol.  Neonazi website formed by a former Grand Wizard of the KKK (Stormfront) openly supported gamergate due to "userbase overlap."  One of the gamergate propaganda images which used a warfare theme had Adolf Hitler on their side to represent /pol/; let's see...well you can't zoom in on the image, but you can still make out Hitler in this archive:

https://archive.today/VFWUP

(They later updated the image to remove Hitler).

But let's be clear here, gamergate and /pol/ are different beasts with different political views.  Like...when Hotwheels wrote an article for a Neonazi website to try and court /pol/ into staying on 8chan rather than returning to 4chan, and suggested a few ideas like a free speech article, /pol/ pointed out to him that Nazi's don't care much for free speech.  This is a very different political stance from gamergate, which at least pays lots of lipservice to free speech.  For another example, while NotYourShield was a bit of a sham in terms of some of the minorities it claimed to represent, it was founded by a black man and four white guys, and the first person I heard really advocating for gamergate was African American.  And while gamergate has been bleeding away some minorities (transgender in particular, seeing as it has shifted to hating on transgender people as an even bigger "source of evil SJWness" than women) it seems to have retained key African American figures like Oliver.  I would assume that /pol/ does not have equivalent popular African American community figureheads, seeing as /pol/ explicitly hates black people.

So...yeah, while some of the gamergate population came from /pol/, and the influences of /pol/ can still be felt, gamergate is its own beast with its own political views.  (And arguably a smaller movement.  /gamergate/ on 8chan has 2k active users; /pol/ on 8chan has 3k active users).

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2015, 10:42:07 PM »
Yeah, uh, even if you're not actually a nazi, associating with nazis is a pretty huge red flag.* 

I'm not sure what you're getting at with that paragraph about how there are still African American figures in GamerGate. Yeah, sure, they're not full blown nazis. But... If nothing else it reminds me of my early teens when I was trying to be edgy and ironic because I wanted attention. "See? I'm not actually racist, I have a black friend! Who thinks my racist jokes are funny! Now excuse me while I go tell really racist jokes to him and about 10 white people."  And in any case, it really doesn't excuse calling in shooting threats to a college to get people they don't like to cancel speaking events**, nor does it excuse members who don't condone actions like that to go "oh wow hell no" and recognize that that was just the first step in a really shitty road to SWATing*** and start divorcing themselves from the movement... which frankly is a bigger concern to me than whether there are POCs or GSMs involved in GamerGate. Minorities can be shitty people too (Link otherwise unrelated).

*Is that idiom even applicable? The USSR hated Nazis.
**This was well known about the time I started getting real pissed about everyone's tolerance for GG, around November.
***Of course there was no reason to expect SWATing in particular to happen, but surely this pointed to harassment tactics getting way worse and way more dangerous... which they did.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2015, 11:38:01 PM »
Quick question: is the battle still raging out there in internetland?  Is GamerGate still something that matters?  At this point, does any new revelation about GamerGate actually change anything?  Because from where I stand it looks like continuing interest is just indulging in outrage as a recreation.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2015, 01:02:35 AM »
Question: Did four different people not just have SWAT teams called to their houses?

Yeah, most people no longer care. Good, the movement is no longer legitimate.  It is still highly toxic and having a real, negative impact on people.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2015, 01:21:09 AM »
Question: Did four different people not just have SWAT teams called to their houses?

Did Boko Haram not just massacre an entire village?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2015, 02:16:35 AM »
Does rape in Africa make continued discussions of the wage gap illegitimate?

Multiple terrible things can happen at once and they aren't always equivalent.

Do I think we could get better coverage of Boko Haram in the politics thread maybe?  If there was more media coverage and if more media coverage was actually obtainable since everyone is actively looking away (the local government doesn't want the negative light set on the upcoming election...), absolutely.

Is it a problem to keep having discussion about people having completely irrational outbursts in its own thread here? 

Is it something that I follow more closely than I have to out of interest around the culture of fellow hobbyists?  Yeah I guess?  But I also closely follow career paths of developers I will never get to meet or talk to.  I personally am pretty invested in this video games thing and care about the future of both how it impacts the developer and consumer community and how it colours that community to others.

Like perspective?  All the children of my generation of family are girls.  I would love to be able to share some of this whole video games thing with them.  Gamer Gate happened.  I don't really want to introduce my 10 year old niece to Steam this Christmas because of it.  I am still tentative on maybe making an account for her and her sister and sharing my game library.  I just want to find a way to shield them from this kind of bullshit while they are still new to things beyond just playing platforming games with local coop.  Even if they only play single player  it is still right there in the storefront that you have access to even if you have parental lockdown to prevent them making purchases.

So yeah.  It is a thing that I still give a bit of a fuck about.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2015, 02:36:48 AM »
Well... It's selfish, but a big reason I still care about '0 days since GG did something terrible'?

Also also, there is still something positive about all of this in that it's clear video games are going to be taken seriously as a medium at some point very soon. Once the damage GG has done(and kind of still is doing) has healed over at least.

I think it will be decades before this is true.  Frankly, all during the height of GG, seeing otherwise rational folks give them the slightest benefit of the doubt?  Gaming doesn't DESERVE to be taken as a serious medium yet.  And most days?  I think by the time it is, they won't really make games worthy of that seriousness.

GG has driven me to renounce a bit if myself to which I can basically attribute every friend I have.  It's something I've tried to do professionally.  But... we're in the twilight of it all.  And these fucks put on the last nails.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2015, 04:14:30 AM »

Did Boko Haram not just massacre an entire village?

Jim, you're better than trying to end a dicussion like this. Shall we bring Nazism into this and go full Godwin? Oh snap GamerGate already did.

To wit, you're right. We should be focusing way more on the atrocities being committed in Nigeria than we are. To fill everyone else in on the only reason you bring this up, yes the attack on the Charlie Hebdo offices is also a larger, frankly way more important travesty than this. So am I a hypocrite for harping on GamerGate while everyone else wants to let it die down, while posting articles on Facebook calling attention to how the world by and large is obsessing over and lionizing Charlie Hebdo while ignoring atrocities going on in the non-European parts of the world?

Perhaps. I'll cop to that.

But that's a strawman and a half you're building there. I don't see world leaders marching in a grand PR event to show solidarity against terrorism in light of these SWAT incidents. I barely even see any members of gaming communities condemning them. This is the only forum I've seen it even discussed on.

What I DO see are people who, through being duped into thinking GamerGate actually cared about ethics in gaym journalism and refusing to acknowledge the big red flags in front of them helped empower Gamergate to hold the brief taste of legitimacy they had, want to now just sweep the whole thing under the rug and pretend like it never happened despite having a real, negative impact on real people and the reputation of the medium as a whole.

Nobody I know personally was tried to ignore the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, nobody I know personally tried to ignore the Boko Haram attacks. People I know personally ARE trying to ignore the harmful actions of GamerGate. 

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2015, 04:26:59 AM »
Frankly, all during the height of GG, seeing otherwise rational folks give them the slightest benefit of the doubt?

This is the problem I have that made me post in this topic in the first place.

Who the hell is "them?" The swatters? The hurdur SJW people? The people who wanted to talk game's journalism? The ones trying to use the momentum of the hashtag to bring certain talking points to the front? People who just want to watch the world burn?

At the beginning there were lots of people using the hashtag as a positive thing and tried use it to guide an actual, legitimate discussion. It did happen. Really. There were also a ton of fucks who were using it to be obnoxious douches. Which was the problem and why I took the stance I did. Engaging with the douches and letting them run the conversation only really gave them more power. It drowned out the people who did want to actually talk and, perhaps worse, made people on the fringes more defensive.

You know why people reacted so badly to the gamers are dead articles? Because they felt attacked. Obviously we could ramble about the irony of feeling persecuted and alienated, but shock and amaze, it happens. Its a nerd thing. They have their own issues of being cultural misfits. What we're seeing now, unfortunately, feels like the logical endplace: the reasonable and rational people abandoned ship and left the crazies in charge.

Basically, I'm not sure (especially early on) exactly what attacking "GG" as an entity really did except maybe hasten the inevitable implosion. Perhaps it was totally impossible to co-opt from the get-go! Perhaps too much of the base was rooted in the "hurdur SJW" thing. But I feel attempting to guide positive discussion and shutting out the assholes certainly couldn't have done worse.

I dunno, this sort of thing puts me in mind of the recent protests in East Bay. When people loot and vandalize during the protests, should we blame the whole of the protest or do we shun the morons? And yes, there does obviously need to be a line drawn where the things are unsalvagable. We're certainly at that stage now.

But back a few months ago? I felt there was enough split in the base that, even if it was just a momentary glint, that it might be able to be directed in a useful direction. That you could get people to actaully shun the scum and talk. It didn't go that way, obviously, but I also didn't see particular harm in trying then either.

Edit: And just to be abundantly clear. This does not mean you should not call out and/or shun the assholes. Everyone should be doing that. They should not even be part of the discussion. This does not mean the history of what was happened should be whitewashed or ignored. Just that, back oh so long ago, that going "lolgamergater go kill yourself" and "Oh, you're part of gamergate? Fuck you you misogynist!" did nothing to help.

Gaming doesn't DESERVE to be taken as a serious medium yet.

See, this is what I mean. Why are you letting the morons dictate things? They do not even deserve to be part of the conversation. The fucks who are swatting probably also enjoy watching movies, listen to music, and I bet some have even read books, and they probably bitch about the "dur sjw infestation" there too. Should we declassify them as artistic mediums that deserve to be taken seriously? No. Things deserve to be taken seriously on their own merits.

Don't diminish people's hard work because there are assholes out there. It is insulting.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:07:40 AM by AndrewRogue »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2015, 05:09:50 AM »
Nobody I know personally was tried to ignore the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, nobody I know personally tried to ignore the Boko Haram attacks. People I know personally ARE trying to ignore the harmful actions of GamerGate.

Fair enough.  And I realize it didn't come off this way, but I really was more curious as to why you continue focusing on it than I am trying to shut you up or shame you or whatever.  I brought up Boko Haram just to make the point that there are a lot of awful things in this world, and that awfulness in and of itself isn't a reason to pay attention to something.  Except Florida Man.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:13:54 AM by NotMiki »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2015, 05:12:48 AM »

Gaming doesn't DESERVE to be taken as a serious medium yet.

See, this is what I mean. Why are you letting the morons dictate things? They do not even deserve to be part of the conversation. The fucks who are swatting probably also enjoy watching movies, listen to music, and I bet some have even read books, and they probably bitch about the "dur sjw infestation" there too. Should we declassify them as artistic mediums that deserve to be taken seriously? No. Things deserve to be taken seriously on their own merits.

Don't diminish people's hard work because there are assholes out there. It is insulting.

What all this said to me is that the art form cannot advance without acts of terrorism being committed.  That we cannot build a canon of gaming because nobody in gaming criticism understands that they have to ignore the frothing mobs who call for objectivity in a discipline that is by definition subjective. 

And because frankly if gaming can't be better than the mediums that came before, and rise above the petty bigotry inherent to the human race then it's failed to properly express the feelings of the generation it raised, and what is the fucking point.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2015, 05:15:52 AM »
what is the fucking point.

Games are fucking awesome, man, that's what the point is.  Have you played, like, FFX?  Shit's dope.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2015, 05:54:23 AM »
What all this said to me is that the art form cannot advance without acts of terrorism being committed.

Depending on the way you mean that:

1. Except it has? 

2. Once again we're invalidating all other art forms. We just had a bunch of comedians get fucking murdered for practicing their art. Is writing dead?

That we cannot build a canon of gaming because nobody in gaming criticism understands that they have to ignore the frothing mobs who call for objectivity in a discipline that is by definition subjective.

Except they do? Have you ever considered you're reading the wrong people if they're the ones caving to the cries of "Be objective!"

More to the point you're comparing apples and oranges. Criticism (as in consumer reviews) and criticism (as in critical analysis) are kinda different beasts.

And because frankly if gaming can't be better than the mediums that came before, and rise above the petty bigotry inherent to the human race then it's failed to properly express the feelings of the generation it raised,

Except that plenty of games (and, in fact, plenty of people) do exactly that? And, not to put to fine a point on it, but the generation is apparently having mixed feelings.

and what is the fucking point.

To acknowledge the beauty and artistry that people have put into amazing games instead of taking a shit on them because you're annoyed by a bunch of assholes?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:56:29 AM by AndrewRogue »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2015, 07:27:44 AM »

Fair enough.  And I realize it didn't come off this way, but I really was more curious as to why you continue focusing on it than I am trying to shut you up or shame you or whatever.  I brought up Boko Haram just to make the point that there are a lot of awful things in this world, and that awfulness in and of itself isn't a reason to pay attention to something.  Except Florida Man.

Word, gotcha. Arguments on the internet, tone and body language get lost, etc.

Going to respond to Andy shortly, but I'm gonna chew on it a bit before I do. A few things don't quite sit right with me there but I can't quite articulate why yet.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2015, 07:45:03 AM »
Going to respond to Andy shortly, but I'm gonna chew on it a bit before I do. A few things don't quite sit right with me there but I can't quite articulate why yet.

There's a fair number of reasons, starting, foremost, with the fact that it may not work to begin with and that lack of open opposition can equal unintentional endorsement. You also need to have believed that there was a shred of legitimacy in the hashtag to begin with (which can be debated), that a large enough portion of the following is open to that idea (also fair game), and, perhaps most problematically, whether you agree with the idea of opportunism (i.e. can you transform something that came from a shitty place, but is arguably aimed in the right direction).

Especially now, it would be like attempting to co-opt MRA to talk about actual men's rights issues (custody/child support/draft stuff, for example) which... does leave a bad taste in the mouth.

I dunno. I feel like maybe because of the circles I run outside of you guys I got a very different view of what GG "could be" and what some people were trying to do with it? A lot of my "positive" exposure was TB and his stuff, which all seemed very genuine interest and tended to focus on the journalism stuff as opposed to the hurdursjw stuff that you'd see at, say, KiA or the outright aggression at the chans or something.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:47:04 AM by AndrewRogue »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2015, 08:01:51 AM »
I do think that's largely it.  GG struck me from the beginning not as a protest that rioters and looters co-opted to do nefarious deeds but as a riot that paid lip service to what some protesters cared about in order to cloak themselves in legitimacy.  The whole thing started when an indie dev's vindictive ex-boyfriend made some accusatory posts by and large in order to get an Anon army to harass the shit out of her, and it never changed. It was a harassment campaign from the start.  You asked, why are we letting the morons dictate things? Because they were dictating and moving the discourse from the very beginning.

As for whether opportunism is a good thing... well, in most cases yes, but if you're consciously using this as an opportunity to talk about issues you don't get to complain when people harp on the fact that the movement you're trying to co-opt is and was a harassment campaign.

EDIT: Honestly it may have been for the best, in that case, for the talking point to be, "Yes, you know what? This started with a bunch of assholes trying to harass someone. But now that it's gotten media attention, we're gonna steal their thunder and use it to actually talk about shit." But it never was. It was always, "No no, that's not every Gamer Gater, that's just a small subset of assholes who don't REALLY care" when that was so very clearly and patently false.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:09:07 AM by Makkotah »