Author Topic: King of RPGDL: Losers Bracket 2  (Read 250 times)

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
King of RPGDL: Losers Bracket 2
« on: March 18, 2023, 01:22:10 AM »
Winners bracket 2 will remain open for the conventional one week voting window.

Wasn't going to repost the match format writeup but I already had it open in a separate window so it's a 20 second cut-and-paste job.  So it follows.  There are a few additional rulings, for the curious and to clear up potential confusion.

- Though the teams are 3 members each, matches take place as a series of 1 on 1 bouts.  First bout starts with the first member of each team.  When one fighter is knocked out, the next member of the team in sequence steps up and the fight continues from that point.  Winner of the match is the team that knocks out all 3 of the other team's fighters.
- Each bout is timed.  After 50 turns (shared by both fighters) if neither fighter is knocked out a Time Over will be declared. Both will be considered defeated and the next bout will begin with the next members of each team.  Hopefully it's obvious but the timer does reset to full after any KO.
- A fighter who knocks out an opponent will receive a small amount of HP recovery.  This starts at 20%HP if winning in one action and scales linearly downward to 0.4% recovery for winning on turn 50.  Note that this winner's HP recovery is scaled to an average HP fighter.  To use the Wild ARMS 3 crew as an example.  Virginia would regain more life proportional to her max HP than Gallows and Clive would under equal win conditions.  I originally envisioned this as an event based heal that bypasses statuses but I found the idea that Disease or similar statuses that prevent in-battle healing also blocking this recovery so amusing I decided to incorporate it as standard.  So if a winning fighter is under a status effect that would prevent HP recovery, they get nothing.  Undead reversal does not apply to this recovery so any states that would reverse cures aren't applicable here.
- Other than this HP recovery, the winning fighter continues from where they left off.  HP, MP, skill charges, and other resources will remain depleted.  Meter gain, if applicable, also carries over.  So do all status effects and stat changes, positive or negative and their durations.  This is different from fighting games, which will clear all status buffs and debuffs between rounds.
- Turn order is reinitialized when a new fighter comes in.  This is for interpretation simplicity.  No initiative advantage from KO'ing an opponent with a counter, too bad.  The re-initialization only applies to turn order.  Any independent effects such as Mana Khemia timed cards remain active.
- No dead team member bonuses or penalties.  The fights are 1 on 1 after all.
- There is a new voting option.  Double KO, if the match ends with a Time Over with the last member of both teams.  There are a number of options to handle this.  Decision (cast vote either way based on whatever personal criteria you please), Coinflip, or (my favorite comedy option) Reserves, which I've made a post about in the nomination topic going into greater detail.

Heavyweight -

Team Surprisingly Deadly Thieves: Eric (DQ11), Therion (8PT), Morgana (P5) vs Team Speed Manip: Fie (Cold Steel) / Arnaud / Tidus

Team Fliers: Nina (Breath of Fire 4), Sumia (FE Awakening), Rose (Legend of Dragoon) vs Team Fellowship of the Ring: Athos / Rufus (VP2) / Geddoe

Lightweight -

Team Palmer: Olivier (WA3) / Linny (FM3) / Palmer vs Team Superaielman: Kain / Noel / Nergal

Team Cats & Frogs Living Together: Cray (Breath of Fire 4), Lethe (FE9), Frog (CT) vs Team C-tier ninjas: Akahgi (Suiko 4), Frank (SH3), Sheena (ToS)

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: King of RPGDL: Losers Bracket 2
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 10:36:47 AM »
Heavyweight -

Team Surprisingly Deadly Thieves: Eric (DQ11), Therion (8PT), Morgana (P5) vs Team Speed Manip: Fie (Cold Steel) / Arnaud / Tidus - Kneejerk

Team Fliers: Nina (Breath of Fire 4), Sumia (FE Awakening), Rose (Legend of Dragoon) vs Team Fellowship of the Ring: Athos / Rufus (VP2) / Geddoe

Lightweight -

Team Palmer: Olivier (WA3) / Linny (FM3) / Palmer vs Team Superaielman: Kain / Noel / Nergal - Considerably less incompetent.

Team Cats & Frogs Living Together: Cray (Breath of Fire 4), Lethe (FE9), Frog (CT) vs Team C-tier ninjas: Akahgi (Suiko 4), Frank (SH3), Sheena (ToS)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:57:10 PM by Random Consonant »

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 10:02:45 PM »
Team Palmer: Olivier (WA3) / Linny (FM3) / Palmer vs Team Superaielman: Kain / Noel / Nergal

Yeah, this looks right.  A closer look.

Scaling down Olivier's gimmick for a 1 on 1, Kain wins in two swings of a Holy Lance.  I see him as faster so Olivier is inflicting either poison or disease but not both.  For this example, I'm going to use disease because it's more straightforward to interpret.  So Kain goes into the next match slightly damaged; disease denying the heal.

Linny isn't taking down Kain before he runs out of missile ammo.  Front Mission 3 treats missiles as fire type and I see it running into Kain's elemental resistance.  For even more insult, I treat FM3 missiles as physical fire damage.  Because of how resistance works in FF4, that means the power is being halved and then it runs into Kain's good defense stat.  And then there's the evasion.
  Linny's not getting all his shots off in practice.  Kain is going to down him with Jumps before then and missile wanzers are on the low end of durability.  As an estimate, I'd figure Linny takes out 20-40% of Kain's physical durability before going down.

Palmer next.  Kain is still at over half health.  Palmer's going to need a lot of shots to take it down since his damage also rams into Kain's elemental resistance.  As Mako Gun is magical, it's going to be doing a bit under half its normal damage.  Not as neutered as a fire physical but still significantly slows Palmer's damage output.  Palmer probably has enough shots for the task but it could be argued that Kain outslugs him first.

Kain solos.  Who saw that coming?  (and even if Palmer beats him, he's too drained to deal with Noel)  Less of a slaughter if Kain is poisoned depending on how one interprets it but Palmer cannot pressure Noel at all regardless.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 06:49:21 AM »
Team Surprisingly Deadly Thieves: Eric (DQ11), Therion (8PT), Morgana (P5) vs Team Speed Manip: Fie (Cold Steel) / Arnaud / Tidus
Uhhh.  I guess if you squint, DQ11 turn skip is kind of like Cold Steel delay, although...  not really, since CS has its own separate faint status.  OTOH, Eric does have an evade stat and evasion is one of the ways CS2 enemies can actually not get Delay-locked.  Anyway, IF Fie can kill Eric, Speed Manip surely wins, Therion & Morgana have major problems handling Arnaud even if Fie is out of gas.  If Eric lives, he can probably take Arnaud with some evade-ignoring Critical Claim strats...  although even then, he has trouble with Tidus (if he even still has MP left), and Tidus very well might solo the rest of the team.  I'll abstain for now I suppose, would require FIE MATH to have a better guess.

Luna strats seem good vs. Nina?  Switch to Nosferatu vs. Sumia.  Athos might get ID'd by Rose, but regardless of Dragoon interp, she has to run out of juice at some point, and then she probably gets cleaned up by Rufus or Geddoe.

Lightweight -

This is a slugfest, but I have to assume that worst comes to worst, Frog alone gives major problems to Frank & Sheena.  I guess Frank has plenty of SP and can hope to threaten some Double with Stock but the damage still isn't THAT amazing (and Lethe might well have forced his hand earlier with her counterattacks) and Frog isn't really heal-locked, and Sheena just walks into Frog Squash.