imageRegister

Author Topic: King of RPGDL nominations: It's happening  (Read 306 times)

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
King of RPGDL nominations: It's happening
« on: February 05, 2023, 08:57:44 PM »
Inspired somewhat by RPGVO, this is a tourney modeled in a King of Fighters format.  Teams of 3 battle each other in a bid to be named the King of fighters.  Matches take place in 1 on 1 bouts.  When one fighter is knocked out, the next member of the team comes in to take their place and the match continues from there.  Winner of a match is the one who knocks out the other team's fighters.

Nomination guidelines:

There will be two divisions: lightweight and heayweight
Lightweight is for light tier fighters and those on the border of light-middle
Heavyweight is for heavy tier fighters and those on the border of middle-heavy
Middle tier fighters don't get a separate division but they'll lean one direction or the other.  So use your own judgment to determine which side of the power curve they're on.

Godlike tier fighters will not be participating in this tourney, to prevent boring, one sided stomps where a single godlike crushes an entire team.  Heavy-godlike borderline noms are also discouraged for a similar reason.

Up to 4 team nominations per division per person.  This is an upper limit; there's no pressure to use them all.  Character order matters: the listed order is the order the fighters will go in the matches.
- You are permitted to nominate punies for lightweight.  As long as you're OK with them getting pummeled.  Not really recommended but the entertainment potential is enough to have it as an option.
- While godlikes aren't part of this tourney, you may nominate a single godlike. (separate from the other noms)  No promises I'll use them but it does seem fitting to have 1-2 SNK bosses to go with an SNK game inspired tourney.

Probably close nominations by the end of next Sunday, Feb. 12.  I think that's all the necessary info.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
Re: King of RPGDL nominations: It's happening
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 10:03:28 PM »
Heavyweight:

FE Heroes: Ike, Lyn, Ephraim
Magic Swordgirls: Nina1, Kloe (Trails in the Sky), Asselus (Saga Frontier)

Lightweight:

Isekai: Aurora (Child of Light), Frederick (Eternal Sonata), Rabbid Peach (Mario+Rabbids)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 04:58:45 AM »
Heavy:

Team Speed Manip: Fie (Cold Steel) / Arnaud / Tidus
Team Outlast: Nel / Ness / Lilka
Team SMASH: Geno / Alexia / Zerase
Team Fellowship of the Ring: Athos / Rufus (VP2) / Geddoe

Kind of waffle on the anchors, but they make sense in theory. Tidus with Sonic Steel doesn't care as much about starting with possible CT disadvantage. Facing Lilka if you've been drained of most of your resources against Nel/Ness is pretty bad if you're relying on a finite resource since she can heal forever, etc.

Light:

Team Doggo: Koromaru / Poshul / Blanca
Team Kitteh: Purugly (Pkmn) / Daena (LoM) / Mao
Team Palmer: Olivier (WA3) / Linny (FM3) / Palmer
Team Superaielman: Kain / Noel / Nergal

Poshul is pretty unideal as a teammate, but whatever. Gotta run with the themes! I seem to recall Purugly having moves that are good on the first round or something, so I have it first. Mao and Daena are both pretty lol as an anchor, but Mao's probably better. Team Palmer obviously runs Palmer as an anchor. As for team SUPER, it's pretty self explanatory. Gotta save the best for last as the anchor!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 03:43:18 AM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 07:02:10 PM »
Going to extend the nomination period through Feb. 15 or if both divisions hit 16 nominations, whichever comes first.  8 teams are enough for a tourney to run though.

Hadn't planned on adding noms myself but came up with a few silly ideas anyways so here they are.

Heavyweight -

Sexy Beasts: Rei (BoF3), Nikki (MK), Kevin (SD3)

Nikki has limited resources so she's better off not going first.  And Kevin is very obnoxious to kill even if someone can deal with his offense.

Lightweight -

Wussy Bards: Edward (FF4), Bard (FF5), Bard (FFT)

Somebody's getting an easy win off these jokers.  I didn't even try to place them strategically just going by chronological appearance.

C-tier ninjas: Akahgi (Suiko 4), Frank (SH3), Sheena (ToS)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 04:53:57 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 11:55:28 PM »
Heavyweights:
Team Surprisingly Deadly Thieves: Eric (DQ11), Therion (8PT), Morgana (P5)
Therion, like other Octopath characters, is a bit worse in this format since using up all his resources to kill one dueler leaves him much worse off for the next one in line.  I'm a little hesitant on what to do with P5 Phantom Thieves since their worth swings a lot on whether they get the extra auto-revive or not so playing it safe with a High Middle there (who definitely becomes Heavy given a free extra life).  Feel free to replace one of the more obscure characters with FF7 Yuffie if desired for better votability, DK0, since these are all "recentish" in the sense of post-2015 games.

Team ...: Crono (CT), Luminary (DQ11), Freyjadour (Suiko V)

Team Fliers: Nina (Breath of Fire 4), Sumia (FE Awakening), Rose (Legend of Dragoon)
Rose is a little interp-splitting on starting Dragoon vs. not, so maybe I'll edit in someone more consistent.  Maybe.

Lightweight:
Team Mostly Harmless Thieves: Ashe (FE 3H), Chad (FE6), Male Thief (FFT)
They had best hope Ashe kills everyone, because it's not looking great afterward.  Locke is excluded because he says he's not a thief.

Team Servants
Gremio (S1), Brey/Borya (DQ4), Jakob (FE Fates),
Yes, boss.

Team Cats & Frogs Living Together: Cray (Breath of Fire 4), Lethe (FE9), Frog (CT)
Self-explanatory.  Cats & Dogs would be dangerous, so better play it safe.

Team Mostly Harmless Dancers:
Primrose (8PT), Dancer (FFT), Azura (FE Fates)
Yep.  I considered having a "dangerous" team too but who to stick there after Dancer (FF5) / Jean (Lunar2)?  I considered BD Performer here but they're just too horrible even as a joke nom.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 08:31:17 PM »
Even though regular nominations have closed, there's still a role for other fun team ideas that missed the deadline.  Because matches can end in Double KO, the Reserves option is that both teams are eliminated and a different team that originally wasn't entered takes its place. If Reserves is invoked, a replacement team will be chosen by RNG from all eligible options.  This includes both teams that didn't make it in as well as any additional ideas that come in.

No upper limit on noms here.  It's entirely up to chance whether any entrants from this point see action.

Here's mine which I thought of but forgot to include.

Lightweight:

No Offense Healers: Raja (PS4), Amy (PS2 Numan Revolutions), Mint (ToP)

Expecting a lot of timeouts with these clowns.