Author Topic: How was your 2008?  (Read 4048 times)

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Re: How was your 2008?
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 09:30:47 PM »
I'm having a hard time remembering more than one or two memorable things from last year, and I think that about covers it for me: 2008 was pretty much nothing to me. I didn't do anything, I didn't try anything, I didn't really go anywhere (with one notable exception), nothing really happened.

The end of the year sucked pretty royally, what with the economy deciding to take this moment to tank, my dad's job being uncertain, and my grandfather dying.

The only things I can recall off-hand were DLCon (which was an awesome week) and going to Seattle.

8 might represent fortune in Chinese, but fuck if it had anything to do with me. I'm going to go with the much more Christian (even though I'm not, I'm about 5 generations W-H-I-T-E American, and a few generations British before that) 9 and hope 2009 is a bit more than 2008 was.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 11:46:34 PM »
DLC Con was awesome fun, it was pretty much worth the expensive price tag, let alone just the general travel stuff with awesome people is a real nice added bonus.  HOLY CRAP DIFFERENCE ENGINE.  I drifted away from general DL stuff way to much, but meh, I guess my threshhold for fail hasn't kept up.

Was a pretty high and low year for games.  There was a few real shining gems this year and then there was an ocean of absolute uninspired drivel on the FPS front, which was the only front really strongly represented this year.  Still NWN2 expansion might have some hope for it.  Some other shit.  This is boring and I am going to stop now.

Oh wait no I am not.  The expected impending credit bubble burst happened, which is shit but was expected and fucked people over that it shouldn't have (ie like the rest of the world that had nothing to do with it).  The Republican party almost got us into another Cold War over a war that was instigated -against- Russia and this was entirely fuelled by the failure that is our western media.  Hmmmmm what else happened.  Dark Knight came out and it was brilliant.  One more Ledger movie to watch before his legacy is put to rest.

Yeah I am done.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Idun

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 02:58:46 PM »
Oh, at first I told Charles that '08 was the worst year I ever had. But through personal events and upcoming graduation either this year or next Spring depending on the nonchalant factor for Summer school or Summer break, I think '08 was fine. Turned 21 and somehow I have more magical freedom than my mother would originally allow, which is nice. Been reading, doing art, discovering new music groups and bands I really like such as Brokencyde and Zap Mama . . .  It's been a building year I suppose and I like that because I've discovered new things about myself that are interesting.

Plus I joined 2 message boards including this one as an outlet for gaming. I find my activity extremely low, but at least it helped me get rid of a good chunk of backlog from Nov to Dec that would have remained stagnant were I to still be a member of an older forum. So I haven't lost what I loved as a child, and I'm gaining new things as a woman 'n ah feel gud, dunununun nun nun.

Learned that sarcasm or cheekiness can only be attractive so long until someone just becomes gut-wrenchingly putrid, annoying and a waste of oxygen.

2009, I plan on making a family tree. We have one but it's extremely small and undeveloped. So far, it appears that my mother can trace back to her great grandfather, but on my father's side, we can trace back to my great grandmother, but not my great grandfather on my paternal side because my grandmother was the product of a forceful union of some white guy and my great grandmother ---- soooo, I want to at least trace back to my great greats, or great great greats and also add my cousins onto the family tree. I figure this project will give me a chance to be more family oriented than I normally am. Hey, it made me talk to cousins I haven't talked to in years.  I know I won't be able to trace too far, given the history of slaves (etc), but I'm going to try. Then maybe take a DNA test with my mom because I'm just curious about it and I don't feel as if it would hurt.