Author Topic: Earthbound Zero/Mother  (Read 2479 times)

gorha

• New User
    • View Profile
Earthbound Zero/Mother
« on: May 01, 2008, 07:18:02 AM »
This topic will only cover the three "standard" endgame PCs for now. If anyone has a save where they still have access to Teddy or a boss, and wants to put up their stats, please do.

Stats in the game

HP: Lose this and die. Rolling HP is not a factor in this game, unlike Earthbound.
PP: Needed to use PSI, the magic of this game.
Offense: Increases damage dealt by a physical.
Defense: Decreases damage received from physicals. When Offense > Defense, damage = Offense - (Defense/2); otherwise, damage = [Offense - (Defense/4)]/2. Scale as you will, the important concept here is that every point of Defense past the point that reduces an attack to 50% of its base damage only counts for half.
Fight: Supposed to increase critical hit rate, though . Crits in EB0 ignore defense and deal damage equal to the offense stat, random variance aside.
Speed: Determines turn order.
Wisdom: Affects the chance of inflicting status ailments.
Strength: Supposed to reduce the chance of being hit with physical status. I didn't see much of a difference, but that might just be because enemies use status attacks so rarely to begin with. Probably needs more testing.
Force: Like strength, but for mental status. Same disclaimer applies.

I have used a few stat boosting items, but it really shouldn't matter; none of them boost Offense or Defense, everyone's been boosted equally in Speed, and the other stats don't do much. The random stat gains when levelling up ensure that my stats are well within the ranges they would be naturally anyway. Also, Ninten is a few levels higher than the others since they join several dungeons into the game and start at level 1.

Damage tests were done on B.B.Gangs due to the ease of fighting them repeatedly. They have 125 Defense.

Ninten - Level 34

HP: 204
PP: 125
Offense: 139
Defense: 132
Fight: 99
Speed: 89
Wisdom: 89
Strength: 92
Force: 85

Physical: 77
Telepathy: Talk to animals or people who've lost their dentures. In a duel.
Teleport: Warp to any town you've been to before. In a duel.
Lifeup α: Restores about 30 HP. 3 PP.
Lifeup β: Restores about 75 HP. 5 PP.
Lifeup γ: Full healing. 9 PP.
Healing α: Cures poison. 3 PP.
Healing β: Cures paralyze. 5 PP.
Healing γ: Cures petrify. 6 PP.
Healing π: Cures sleep. 6 PP.
PSIShield α: Halves all damage received from any source. Lasts until dispelled. 4 PP.
PSIShield β: As above, but MT. 9 PP.
PowerShield: Reflects all damage received. 9 PP.
OffenseUp: Doubles Offense. Permanent, doesn't stack. 6 PP.
Physical after OffenseUp: 175.
DefenseUp α: Doubles Defense. Permanent, doesn't stack. 3 PP.
DefenseUp β: As above, but MT. 8 PP.
QuickUp: Raises Speed by about 20. Stacks until Speed is double its base value. 3 PP.
Def.Down α: Lowers Defense by about 40. Stacks until defense is 1. Each use of this increases the physical damage the target receives by 20. 3 PP.
Def.Down β: As above, but MT. 9 PP.
4th-D Slip: Escape from combat. In a duel!
Hypnosis: Inflicts sleep, 40% chance. Sleeping opponents wake up after one or two turns of inaction; being hit does not wake them up. 5 PP.

If you allow it, Ninten has a plot given Franklin Badge that reflects PK Beam γ, this game's ID spell. Unlike the one in Earthbound, it does not reflect thunder, nor does it work on the other levels of PK Beam. Good speed, durability, cheap full healing and a very solid buffing game already make him good enough for heavy. With PowerShield, he spoils anyone who relies on damage to win and can't kill him before he casts it, which is the vast majority of duellers. Godlike.

Ana - Level 30

HP: 116
PP: 201
Offense: 50
Defense: 99
Fight: 14
Speed: 55
Wisdom: 110
Strength: 48
Force: 132

Physical: 6
Telepathy: Talk to animals or people who've lost their dentures. In a duel.
Teleport: Warp to any town you've been to before. In a duel.
Lifeup β: Restores about 75 HP. 5 PP.
Lifeup γ: Full healing. 9 PP.
Lifeup π: Restores about 60 HP. MT. 17 PP.
Healing α: Cures poison. 3 PP.
Healing β: Cures paralyze. 5 PP.
Healing γ: Cures petrify. 6 PP.
Healing π: Cures sleep. 6 PP.
SuprHealing: Revives one ally with full HP. 36 PP.
PSIShield α: Halves all damage received from any source. Lasts until dispelled. 4 PP.
PSIShield β: As above, but MT. 9 PP.
PowerShield: Reflects all damage received. 9 PP.
BrainShock: Inflicts confusion. Confused opponents choose targets randomly, but can still attack Ana. Taking damage, including self-inflicted damage, seems to cure this about 1/4 of the time, and I haven't seen it wear off otherwise. 5 PP.
BrainCyclon: As above, but MT. 12 PP.
Hypnosis: Inflicts sleep, 60% chance. Sleeping opponents wake up after one or two turns of inaction; being hit does not wake them up. 5 PP.
Paralysis: Inflicts paralysis, 60% chance. Paralyzed opponents cannot act. This status does not wear off and is thus a win for Ana if it hits. 8 PP.
Darkness: Inflicts blindness, 60% chance. B.B.Gang's hit rate against me fell from near 100% to 40% after this. Doesn't wear off. 10 PP.
PSI-Magnet: Drains 10 PP from the target, 60% chance.
Shield-Off: Dispels any shield spell on the target. 8 PP.
PSI-Block: Blocks opponent's PSI use, 60% chance. Permanent. 5 PP.
PK Freeze α: 10, ice element. 3 PP.
PK Freeze β: 40, ice element. 5 PP.
PK Freeze γ: Reduces target's HP to single digits, 100% chance. Neither ID immunity nor ice resistance can make this fail. 8 PP.
PK Freeze Ω: 65, ice element, MT. 13 PP.
PK Fire α: 20, fire element, MT. 8 PP.
PK Fire β: 55, fire element, MT. 12 PP.
PK Fire γ: 100, fire element, MT. 14 PP.
PK Fire Ω: 100% ID, MT, ignores immunity. 30 PP. Learned at level 35. I don't allow this, but listing it for those who allow aftergame spells or take her at a higher level.
PK Beam α: 30, beam element. Take that as you will, I personally see this hitting light/holy resistance. 4 PP.
PK Beam β: 80, beam element. 7 PP.
PK Beam γ: 100% ID unless target is immune. Beam resistance does not prevent this from working. 12 PP.
PK Beam Ω: 100-200, beam element. MT. 24 PP. Learned at level 33. It's not unreasonable to give her this, though I don't.
PK Thunder α: 12, thunder element. 3 PP.
PK Thunder β: 50, thunder element. 6 PP.
PK Thunder γ: as above, but MT. 12 PP.

Beam γ makes her a better Nina2. PowerShield is a lot less good on her than on Ninten due to her lousy HP and so-so speed; she'd have trouble surviving to her first turn in godlike, but she's still a heck of a Heavy.

Lloyd - level 31

HP: 158
PP: 0
Offense: 104
Defense: 86
Fight: 66
Speed: 43
Wisdom: 136
Strength: 70
Force: 48

Physical: 45
Like Earthbound's Jeff, Lloyd has no PSI, but can use a variety of gadgets that are unique to him. Most of these are storebought at prices that are reasonable by endgame standards.
Bottle Rocket: 20, fire element. MT.
Bomb: 30, fire element. MT.
Fl Thrower: 100, fire element. MT. This is the only one of Lloyd's items that isn't buyable; instead, it's dropped by B.B.Gangs. While I was testing damage and status against them, I killed several dozen of this enemy and only received this drop once, so it is pretty rare. The item can be used multiple times, however, and it's easy to farm B.B.Gangs, so I allow it. It also doesn't matter at all, though, as you'll see.
Laser Beam: 30, beam element.
Plasma Beam: 80, beam element.
StkyMachine: I think it paralyzes the target? I haven't really tested this. Again, though, it doesn't matter, because of the...
Super Bomb: 100% ID, MT, ignores immunity. Duplicates the PK Fire Ω effect, but requires no extra effort to get beyond going back to the shop that sells them when you run out.

Awful speed and defense hold him back at times, but he wins if he gets a turn, no questions asked. HP is just good enough that most heavies will have trouble OHKOing him, and silence or MP busting won't stop him. Quite possibly the worst stats in Godlike.

Averages!

HP: 159
PP: 109 (163 without Lloyd)
Offense: 98
Defense: 106
Fight: 60
Speed: 62
Wisdom: 112
Strength: 70
Force: 88

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Earthbound Zero/Mother
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:41:06 AM »
This immunity-ignoring ID... does it kill bosses in-game? Because if not, it's hitting some immunity, just perhaps not the same one as standard death spells, and I'm sure a lot of people would see various immunities covering it in the DL.

It it does, um, hell, that's just broken. As if that damage reflection buff isn't broken enough.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

gorha

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:12:57 AM »
I believe Super Bombs work on everything but the final boss, who also can't be killed by damage. For what it's worth, PowerShield also fails during that fight, so there's some kind of anti-cheap-spells field on him or something.

You could let fire immunity block it; the animation (and name, in the case of Fire Ω) suggests that it's fiery, and nothing in game has full immunity to any element. I see it as just an instant win, though.

Edit: I wasn't really thinking about this last night, but I'd also let magic evasion work on Super Bombs and any other magical attacks from EB0, so that's another possible counter to Lloyd.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 10:36:54 PM by gorha »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 11:21:45 AM »
The final boss can't be killed by any of that because...

it can't be killed. Except by the Sing command.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 06:02:27 PM »
So awesome. Absolutely hilarious duelling cast. To Not Ranked with them all!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 06:05:14 PM by Mad Fnorder »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:34:34 AM »
That is unreal. Is that completely broken in game? (The ID)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 06:46:38 AM »
Yes, it is that broken. EB0 PSI is a hairy prison inmate, and the enemies are your tender asshole.