imageRegister

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 182875 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2275 on: October 13, 2014, 01:55:24 PM »
Grefter: in fairness to the music, most of the standout tracks (in my opinion) turn up fairly late in the game. Song of the Ancients ~ Fate, Emil ~ Karma, Shadowlord all endgame songs, though I also quite like the sisters' duet and the gloomy Aerie BGM, and the mansion has some really nice tension-building mood music. OH RIGHT, Gods Bound By Rules, outstanding fight theme for a totally random boss, shows up nowhere else in the game. Those are some drums right there.

The songs you hear the most (for the wilderness around your hometown) I grew deathly sick of over the course of too many repetitious sidequests.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: October 13, 2014, 02:17:46 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles - Anime meets World War I. That's some stunningly pretty art direction, though.

Learn to love the scout rush.

Defense Grid 2- Near the end of chapter 3. It's not clicking with me quite as much as defense grid 1 but it is a lot of fun even so.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: October 13, 2014, 03:57:13 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles - Anime meets World War I. That's some stunningly pretty art direction, though.

It's definitely anime World War II.  Note that Gunther's father fought in *First* Europan War in the backstory?  Also throw in an oppressed minority whom both sides hate?  Less with the trenches, more with the tanks, too.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: October 13, 2014, 05:22:38 PM »
IIRC most Nier sidequests are filler and can be skipped (outside of the lighthouse one)

Grefter: in fairness to the music, most of the standout tracks (in my opinion) turn up fairly late in the game. Song of the Ancients ~ Fate, Emil ~ Karma, Shadowlord all endgame songs, though I also quite like the sisters' duet and the gloomy Aerie BGM, and the mansion has some really nice tension-building mood music. OH RIGHT, Gods Bound By Rules, outstanding fight theme for a totally random boss, shows up nowhere else in the game. Those are some drums right there.

The songs you hear the most (for the wilderness around your hometown) I grew deathly sick of over the course of too many repetitious sidequests.

Word.
I hate Hills of Radiant Winds so much. So much.

As far as I'm concerned in-game music reaches a peak earlygame with the first dungeon (and its seamless music transition between voice + instruments (during a fight) and just instruments (outside fights)) and the Aerie.
Outside of the mansion music and some boss fights nothing grabbed me as much.

FFX-2 Yattaf solo: Finished Chapter 3, got all dresspheres except Mascot.
Dark Knight is pretty cool, finally there's a class with competent MT damage. (Black mage and Lady Luck are the alternative. Fuck them)
Berserker is also fun. I have a dressphere with +15 str nodes everywhere (that activate if you switch dresspheres the right way) So against some enemies I just use Haste, change clothes 4 times for +60 strength, then use Berserk. Very Psycho Cyan-esque.
I'm pretty sure this +60 Strength thing would be even better with Gunner's Trigger Happy. I'll try that out later.

I kept X pressed for ten minutes as I was fighting a monster, spamming Free Hi Potion every turn to unlock Free Ether. Don't judge me. Free Ethers, man.

The biggest threat right now is all those gravity attacks. 30% cHP, 50% cHP, 99,9% cHP. They're everywhere. There's also that weird skeleton in a wall thing that does 100% cHP damage (lol) for his physical attack.
I'm not sure if gravity protection could actually protect me against these, or if it only works against spells like Demi.

Edit: Oh god, the dance minigame
In horror, I just left my vita sitting there and got 0 points
The game still awarded me with an accessory
Neat!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:14:13 PM by Fenrir »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: October 13, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »
Add me to list of people who thought Nier's OST was nothing particularly special.  Has some pretty tracks, but there's so much forgettable filler, it's your typical jRPG OST in that regard.

Chibirhythm Sequel: Return of the Chibis: Unlocked a few more characters, notably Cloud, Onion Knight and Zidane.  Actually, Cosmos is the only Red Shard character left!  I blame Street Pass defaulting to a 3 Red Shard short map and Comic-Con.  Still haven't played an Ultimate Song, been too busy playing...

Smash: Smashing stuff.  Lots of Smashing.  Still haven't given Pac-Man or Duck Hunt Dog actual use yet, and I feel bad about it!

Bayonetta 2 Demo: Well, it's the same as I played as Comic-con last year, but now I can do it at my couch...14 more times...that should be enough to last me until I get the actual game.  It's basically more of the first game with a few new features, and I totally approve of a Devil Trigger like option in Umbran Climax to use instead of Torture Attacks.  Makes your magic gauge meaningful against Bosses.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: October 14, 2014, 04:22:25 AM »
My global smash power in All Star mode with Bowser is 1,101,056.  8-)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: October 14, 2014, 04:32:44 AM »

Learn to love the scout rush.

I'm still on C2 and the game's already telling me Alicia's destiny is to commando the universe.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: October 14, 2014, 05:45:52 AM »
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn: Lost Aran in 3-12, Fiona in 3-13, Rhys in 3-Endgame, and Leanne in 4-Prologue. I'm on a roll! Fortunately I'm through the part I was most worried about (Dawn Brigade part 3) and 3-13 was actually surprisingly easy despite being five PCs short and having a super-trashy Nolan (who decided to become less trashy by gaining 4 speed in a row during that fight). Honestly, having the yellow units wall the west side and at least five non-Micaiah able-bodied units, only two of which really need to fight (and Sothe/Tauroneo are forced/can't die), should be enough to handle that map, although at the bare minimum it could be dicy. I was well above said minimum though.

Smash 4 - Having lots of fun with this. Palutena, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Mega Man, Lucina, Sheik, and both Samuses are the characters I'm using most, though I'm of course experimenting with a bunch more. I've mostly retreated from using Robin, s/he just really wasn't working out for me. Pikachu I also feel way, way worse at than I did in Brawl. I keep trying to use Thunder as a killing move and it doesn't work. This could be the first Smash game where Pikachu isn't at least in my top five for use.

Lightning Returns - Beat this. 44 hours or so, 42 sidequests done.

An interesting game which for the most part doesn't manage to be more than that. Its gameplay is fine for a solo RPG, with just enough timed defence mechanics to keep you interested and a pretty nice setup for choosing attacks (three paradigms means you can switch between them with L/R, four attacks each easily mapped to the face buttons). But ultimately it feels pretty shallow. Staggering is still important but the game is now very vague about it; the stagger gauge is mostly hidden except for a far more qualitative sinewave thing. Really dampens the otherwise potentially interesting system of staggering different enemies in different ways. Past that it's just timed block what you can and hope your resources hold out otherwise. Debuffs are still neat at least, nice to see that FF13 series staple returns.

The way the game handles resources is quite unique. Healing is strictly limited by a tight inventory and a limited EP gauge. Battles are fought not for levels but for gold and EP which replenish these resources, and in the case of EP can also be used to prolong the amount of time you have in the game which is key to doing quests (which do give the game's "levels"). It's a different paradigm than the norm and I found that shake-up rather pleasant. It was arguably at its best early when gold was handed out in small enough amounts so that just getting enough to affore more potions required attention, but that part melted away quickly as potions became dirt cheap and gold become useful only for buying the super-overpriced equips which you didn't really need anyway since you got enough good ones through plot and the odd random drop.

One thing I really missed was the old FF13/-2 retry option. If you came in with the wrong skills (say you really needed lightning to stagger a certain enemy, but it wasn't on your setup) then you had to waste resources on the fight because you weren't psychic. You could use Escape but one hour of game time felt like a really punitive measure for that. Definitely a step backwards, and I appreciated that the final dungeon made Escape free again. Should have done that all game! On the plus side, though, randoms were back to being fully avoidable so you could make the decision as to whether they were worth fighting yourself (important given the aforementioned balance of resources the game has going).

Writing-wise yeah it's not very good. There are some positives. The setting is excellent, pretty much asking "what would happen if everyone stopped aging + no new births for 500 years" and running with it. It's neat! Unfortunately the dialog is bad and overly wordy, and the main plot just isn't much. It has some good ideas but they're not strung together very well, and suffers badly from literally only giving a damn about one new character (the Order being a faceless mass was a huge mistake IMO). Lumina was a fairly fun character but her resolution was weak, and the game didn't really add much to the returning cast, outside of maybe giving some closure for Noel which he lacked in 13-2.

Music's largely forgettable. I dunno. Graphics are nice enough though a bit glitchy at points; the game certainly keeps alive the Final Fantasy sequel tradition of being low-budget.

Decent enough game and I don't regret playing it. But not really great. 5/10 seems right.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: October 14, 2014, 08:53:02 AM »
Atelier Rorona - I just watched a sequence where a teenage girl was sexually assaulted by a middle aged widow.   Then the next day the teenage girl awkwardly trying to go to the widow's shop and buy something and being thankful that the widow was too drunk to remember molesting her.

Still more interested in it than going back to Nier...
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2284 on: October 14, 2014, 09:12:57 AM »
Oh my god we could have had this in Layton vs Phoenix and didn't: http://31.media.tumblr.com/43ded5a5966b441b0679193069b75d69/tumblr_mnes0pMahp1qgtwgso1_500.png

LOOK AT THAT.

Grefter.  Grefter we need fashion policing on this shit stat.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2285 on: October 14, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »
Grefter: re: Nier
Doing sidequests in a cavia game and then complaining it's boring? *shrug* Though I agree the Forest of Myth is kinda trolling, particularly if you're not in the mood for a text adventure. Still, the gameplay's best feature is probably its 'let's randomly change gameplay genres in quick succession', so if you're not liking that dissonance, then that's understandable and I honestly wouldn't defend it as a 'for-everybody' gimmick.
Didn't you also spoil yourself on the entirety of the game's story and its supplemental stuff or am I thinking of some other DLers?

As for music, maybe it's just preference, but I really like the vocals and the generally powerful tracks. I hear a lot of JRPG OSTs that generally just drone in the background, but Nier's presentation seemed to highlight the music very well. The layering method for transitioning between tracks in different areas or for ramping up the intensity in battle just really made the music shine in-game. Admittedly, I like the entire OST out-of-game just as much because the full intense songs sound like actual songs to me instead of just 'ambiance setters'. I concede that Shadow Hearts and SMT music tend to do this pretty well too! These OSTs also find themselves on my playlist quite often, though I feel there's a lot more 'forgettable' tracks on their more expansive OSTs. The only tracks in Nier I generally find myself skipping are the plains music, but even those I tend to enjoy when I haven't heard them in a long while.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: October 14, 2014, 11:28:05 AM »
I could talk plenty about Edgeworth there, but I don't have much on Larry other than renfairedjinn.png

I will complain about sidequests being shitty in a game when the game goes out of its way to be all about style and presentation, has those side quests be really good methods of presenting this theme of parenthood in a lot of really interesting ways, going about it in the most boring grindy way it possibly can and then my game hard locking and eating 3 or 4 hours of progress.  Like literally it is that last thing that is the problem here.  I chose to do the side quests while I sat there and listened to podcasts I can enjoy.  Just the concept of doing it again isn't appealling, the rest of the gameplay is also not super appealing enough to push me to just deal with it and move on when I would rather just play something else.

I will give you the game mixing of the tracks is pretty good yeah.

POKEDUDES - Caught Aramis.  I am super disappointed they present them to you in the wrong order.  Athos, Aramis then Porthos?  laaaaaame.  I have d'Artagnan in a box to use if I reaaaally feel like, but d'Artagnan is snooze town.  Tempted run Musketteer team once I get Porthos.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: October 15, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »
Kirby's Return to Dreamland - Beat the final boss but didn't access the frue final boss. Oh well.

Smash - Trying to mostly free-for-all the Level 8 CPUs to train to play other players.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: October 15, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate - In the new content now. Tamamo can apparently just walk up and one-shot my slightly underleveled officers that I manage to clear the rest of the map including several officer rushes with. *SIGH* Time to grind I GUESS. Or be non-stubborn and just use my already build up peeps to play instead of insisting on using the recommended team. But where's the fun in that, I like swapping chars every level~
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: October 15, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »
Pokemon Black 2 -

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2290 on: October 15, 2014, 09:16:58 PM »
"UOM Cap'n K would like to battle!"
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: October 16, 2014, 03:51:38 AM »
And yes that is my real facial hair.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: October 16, 2014, 08:29:42 AM »
Vandal Hearts: Got bored and decided to replay this, blew through 4 chapters in one marathon sitting.  I decided to go for maximum class variety over optimum setup, so Clint went down the Guardsman tree, Diego and Amon went down the Hawknight tree, and Eleni and Sara went down the Monk tree.  Game is generally easier than I remembered it, which doesn't surprise me much.  Really I think the best way to sum up VH difficulty is that it is actually decently hard if you want to perfect stages but the actual incentive to do so is fairly low (while you lose money for PC deaths in a stage, the game still gives you approximately 3 times as much money as you can possibly use by midgame). 

I honestly think the Guardsman tree is kind of underrated (or, perhaps, more accurately, that the Swordsman tree is overrated).  Guardsman and Swordsman feel pretty clearly like the two worst classes in the game to me; both have extreme trouble moving over bad terrain, height differences, etc. (Guardsman is even worse in this regard), Swordsmen do consistently unimpressive damage and really are not very durable at all (they tend to get 3HKOed, maybe 4HKOed at best).  Guardsmen may be weak to magic but they weather physical hits a hell of a lot better _and_ they output better damage as well, and VH is an SRPG which actually fairly strongly rewards defensive play much of the time in a way that, say, Fire Emblem doesn't nearly as often, which makes the lack of movement less of a liability.  If you want to get into arguments of what's optimal, I'd say it's probably optimal to make Clint a Guardsman, Dolan a Swordsman, and Grog can be either.  This has nothing to do with stats (they all differ from each other by no more than 1 stat point), but rather to do with battle-start formations, since you cannot customize them in VH.  Clint almost always starts at the front of the party, and Dolan almost always starts at the back of the party.  Grog alternates at various points. 

I'm generally inclined to feel that Hawknight is the superior class tree to Bowman, but with that being said, making Diego a Hawknight is a seriously bad idea in retrospect, since it leaves you completely archerless for almost all of chapter 3, which is full of dangerous flying enemies that an archer Diego could handily OHKO.  On the reverse side of the token, Hawknight is pretty clearly superior for Amon because it makes 3-5 (the first part of the prison escape) waaaaay easier when he can just fly over the juggernauts and stab them in the back.  If I replay this again I'll probably go 3 hawknight/1 bowman with Diego being the bowman.

Monk is a tricky case.  It's very clearly the inferior promotion option for both of the classes that get it (mage and priest), but having played with 2 of them in this run, I am emphatically convinced that you want to have one in your team ultimately.  (And probably only one.)  Priest->Monk is less of a downgrade than Mage->Monk is.  I'd say that Sara is probably the optimal candidate to take up martial arts; it frankly kind of fits her aggressive personality, too.  I say that you definitely want a single Monk because their complete ignorance of terrain penalties combined with what I think is the second highest movement stat in the game (behind hawknights) is an incredible asset for, say, charging in and destroying enemy archers.  They don't take hits any worse (or better) than swordsmen and they do fairly similar damage (a little lower but usually enough to OHKO archers still), and their magic, while inferior to either the bishop or sorcerer spell lists, does have some uses.  Making all the spellcasters monks might make for an interesting challenge play sometime, given how much magic normally bends VH over (LOL PHASE SHIFT).  Monk Eleni makes 3-6, which is already probably the hardest map in the game, notably harder, but I still got it on the first try.

I wish more SRPGs had map objectives as varied as VH's sometimes are.

FF4 TAY Android: No real progress on this, but may make some this weekend as I'll be out of the house for 4 days (starting Friday morning) and I'm not taking the 3DS with me for various reasons, so this and FFD will basically be the only games I have with me. 

I really wish S-E would bring out FFD on a non-phone platform of some kind though, tilebased movement on a phone (especially a small one) is incredibly clunky with touch controls and to make matters worse it's the kind of game that kind of wants you to have an FAQ handy due to (apparent) missables.  Sigh.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: October 16, 2014, 11:16:31 AM »
Pokedudes Black 2 - Recruited Porthos.

"This dress is comfy and easy to wear..."

Literally the best pokemon game ever made.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: October 16, 2014, 12:36:20 PM »
Super Smash Brothers 3DS - When did they give Robin Shadowgift!?

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: October 16, 2014, 06:27:38 PM »
Devil May Cry - Decided to finally give this a spin. Finished the first two missions with one death, but then I encountered the always-lovable Phantom. Had 12 resets last night, then I turned the game on this morning and kicked his ass on the first try (with the aid of a trusty Vital Star). Seems fun so far aside from the hilariously bad camera.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: October 17, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »
Super Smash Bros. 3DS - I love Mega Man.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2297 on: October 17, 2014, 07:23:28 PM »
Re: Nier side quests, they are literally trolling. The easier they are to do the better the awards. The ones that are time-consuming and super frustrating usually give no reward.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: October 18, 2014, 04:35:59 AM »
Pokemon Black 2 -
<Ghetsis>
    After being defeated

(steps back) "How can this be? I'm the creator of Team Plasma! I'm perfect! I'm the absolute ruler who will change the world! And I've lost to some unknown Trainer not once, but TWICE?!" (paces, then turns to N) "I can't accept this! This isn't possible! I can't be bested by fools who can't even use Pokémon correctly!"
<Captain N the Boring Master>"It's hard to call you this, but... Father! Please understand. Pokémon are not tools. Pokémon and humans take each other to greater heights. They are our wonderful partners. Some humans understand this. Why can't you?"
<Ghetsis>    (turns away) "Shut your mouth! Shut up! Shut up! Shut UP! Don't talk like a person, you freak! No real person could talk to Pokémon!"

All that Ciatos.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: October 18, 2014, 04:51:38 AM »
FF10 HD: So...I played through the rest of Makalania a while ago, stopped when I got to Bikanel due to time reasons, sat on my ass then finally picked it up against nearly a month later.  I need to stop being lazy with this game!  So I rewatched the scene I was struggling to remember just in case right before this.

So the team falls under the ice, so Tidus' reaction?  More or less what he does all other times: Talk to everyone!  Auron gives him advice and Tidus has an immature impatient reaction of "oh boy a lecture!"  This is more Tidus trying to act cool and making an ass of himself more than anything else...not whining...yes, I have to emphasize it's not whining.

Wakka has an existential crisis because "OMG I AM NOW A HERETIC HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!?"  Tidus is quick to remind Wakka to not blame Rikku because she's in the exact same situation and "BLAME THE AL BHED!" solves nothing.  Rikku, by contrast, is taking the situation pretty well and is more curious how everyone else is doing.  This somehow leads to Rikku insinuating "we could totally date when I'm older!"  Ok, what it really was is a talk about maturity and how Lulu is all grown up, but the way Tidus backs off and changes the subject to asking Kimhari how to get off, yeah, pretty sure we're suppose to assume Rikku was going for that double entendre.

By the way, this sequence is more painful in retrospect.  Why?  Because in FF10-2, Rikku is 2 years older, and clearly acts way less mature.  One thing I am noticing is that for all of Rikku being clearly the youngest member on the team, and despite the sequence, she's actually fairly mature for her age.  Oh sure, she has those teen moments, but the way she composes herself in serious moments, talks about real life issues, etc., she's actually pretty grounded in reality.  It makes her FF10-2 self, who basically exists to be a pure slap-stick parody laugh to contrast Paine that much more painful, because "let's compromise one of Rikku's more subtle qualities just to emphasize LET'S PART GIRLS WHEE!!! OH NO THIS IS DISASTERIRRIFIC!" 

Anyway, that tangent aside, Rikku notices the change in subject (see? She's not an idiot in this game! GOD DAMN IT FF10-2!), and Kimhari finds a way to answer both Tidus and Rikku at the same time:

"We climb.  Only those who try become." 

How convenient that speaking literally and metaphorically manages to work here!  I guess what I get out of this is...Rikku climbed the latter of maturity, then fell off it and fell into the basement between FF10 and FF10-2.  One problem with this scene is FF10 sort of spells out what Kimhari is saying by Tidus mansplaining it to Rikku, but whatever.  Kimhari ends with "I think Rikku should stay Rikku" so this is totally a "Be happy with yourself!" after school special.  What I'm reading from this is if the Gagazet Ronso didn't all get nearly genocided by Seymour by the end of the game, Kimhari wouldn't have become Chief and instead would have created his own special educational TV series for kids: "Kimhari and Friends"

In the end, Rikku gets angry at this, and Tidus laughs it off.  This is actually neat because it shows a good sense of cast chemistry, with Tidus being able to laugh at his friends...again, as usual, Tidus is very good at dealing with bad situations, and staying positive, despite what many think.  Rikku obviously is too, considering she's more angry at the "HEY, WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN"T BE LIKE LULU!?" and not the "WE'RE DOOMED!!!!" situation.  Wakka gets angry at this.  Way to spoil the moment Wakka!

Then Yuna wakes up, explains her motivations which were pretty clear to the player at this point but good to establish the party members understand.  Auron tells Yuna to stop worrying, it's in the past, and move on (Rikku complaining that Auron is being a little too mean); Auron is just concerned with the pilgrimage, even stating that if heresy is the price to pay to finish the pilgrimage, then so be it.  Naturally, the team is surprised by Auron's statements, but this line is important because it shows where Auron's loyalties lie, or at least finally implies it:

He doesn't care about Yevon or any of this.  He just cares that Sin dies and believes the Final Aeon is the only method (at least, so we're to believe here; replays you know Auron has ulterior motives.)  It's clear he was siding with Yevon because why make them your enemy?  We all want the same thing, better Yevon support you than try to kill you.  Here Auron establishes that if it's a choice between Heretics on a Pilgrimage or Loyally Following Yevon, always go with the former!

Wakka goes on about circular reasoning here.  First says he wants no part of it, and to ATONE FOR SINS!  Then says he never liked Maester Seymour anyway, so hey, not bad that they killed him I think he's implying...then states fighting Bevelle makes no sense.  I have to wonder if there's a slight translation mix up here though.  I'm wondering if when Wakka said "It's not like I ever liked Maester Seymour anyway", he meant to say "I'll admit I was never a fan of Maester Seymour, but still, this is wrong!"  The way he words it, it almost sounds like "I don't like Seymour" was a way of justifying his actions but it just doesn't mesh 100% here.  I dunno, but in short, Wakka's being Wakka.
Then Yuna says "off to Bevelle, we'll speak to Maester Mika about Seymour."  Hey look! Yuna's taking charge, just like she's suppose to, and even better, she made this decision entirely on her own and even justifies the reason for it.  It's not just "Let's go to bevelle because that's the next part on the world map!"  I mostly just bring this up because a lot of people forget that Yuna is the leader of the group, not Tidus, and this is just a prime example of Yuna playing that part.  It's worth reminding that despite Tidus being the PoV character, the only real decisions he makes are pretty much "What can I do to help Yuna?" and the like situations.  Yuna's the one controlling the team, being the summoner and all that.

Then a bit of fun cast chemistry happens!  Auron calls himself the troublemaker, Tidus just bounces off that and teases Auron about it, Rikku joins in, and Auron reciprocates "I never asked you to follow me" with a slight facetious tone and Tidus goes "well, that's what friends are for!" Cute to see the team poke fun at Auron, mostly, because it almost never happens, and Auron retorting in a way that is both in character but also in-line with the teasing. 

Then the Hum of the Fayth scene occurs, mostly just being the moment where Tidus finally realizes Zanarkand and Spira have some connection.  He also gets a little annoyed Auron eavesdropped, understandably so because it's embarrassing, but Auron did justify it saying it made him nostalgic for Spira, and it wasn't because "what the hell is he doing?"  Also it's when Tidus finally has proof that Sin = Link between Zanarkand and Spira; seems he expected that to be the case, but still hoped it wasn't it, but after Auron's Non-response, he just stopped trying to fool himself.  I'll repeat myself; Tidus may not be a genius, but he's not an idiot either, he's very average in intelligence, so I'm more convinced he would expect the Sin connection given how he got the Spira, and the "proof" was more "any hope that he could be wrong just got flushed down the toilet."

So...more character work right? NOPE! RANDOM SIN OUT OF NOWHERE BEWARE THE TOXINS!!!  Ok, this is like the last time the Toxins get brought up and might be the only instance to support they really exist, as Tidus does go into a hazy moment.  On the otherhand, why would he see Jecht's thoughts and why would Jecht's thoughts disappear as soon as Tidus says "You're Sin now."  Basically, yeah, not Toxins, Jecht using mystical Sin bullshit powers to cause a psychic link between him and Tidus, and was showing him his own dreams and yo know what? Fuck it, WE GOT CACTUARS TO SLAY!

So Bikanel, Tidus ends up alone, rejoins with the others pretty fast.  Auron and Lulu mostly just meet up uneventfully, Kimhari's insistent on trudging along to find Yuna, though sort of directionless, but hey, at least he's trying to do something about it.  Wakka's sitting around moping about how life sucks and how he fails as a guardian.  Then we have Rikku who adds a glimmer of hope to the team, by stating this is where the Al Bhed live, so they're not completely lost, and chances are Yuna's safe at Home.  Wakka of course tries to blame Rikku, the others tell him to shut up and move on.

CUE LONG GAMEPLAY SEGMENT WITH LOTS OF PLOT!  I'd show an 80s Montage of Bikanel Island stuff, but I don't think it exists and my video editting skills are not good enough.  And yes, there would be Wakka doing sit ups.

At Home, it's under attack!  This is a segment where Rikku acts 100% serious from start to finish, a rare instance mostly because Rikku's character is very much a "team cheerleader" so she's got to be optimistic, so it's hard to find in-character moments for her to take this stance.  Luckily, Home is one such instance that Rikku being serious with no strings attached is completely understandable, so it's good they actually took advantage of this.  Anyway, team doesn't know what's going on, Wakka again tries to label the blame entirely on the Al Bhed saying they deserve it.  After some discussion, you find that Yevon and the Guado attacked Home looking for Yuna.

One could argue this is a plothole, as "how would Yevon know of the Al Bhed's hidden home?"  Rikku just had a whole "DON'T TELL ANYONE, OK?" moment, with Wakka being all upset about this, but whatever, it's almost like Wakka hates Al Bhed or something!  A few arguments I can think of to explain this:

-Yevon always knew where Home was, they just never bothered to take action because the Al Bhed were behaving, and let them think they were hidden to give a false sense of security.  They were only kidnapping Summoners recently, and there was no proof linking it to the Al Bhed until very recently at Macalania.   Now that they know this, Yevon has an excuse to attack the Al Bhed head on.  Why not kill them before and cut out the only people using Machina?  Well, not everyone hates the Al Bhed; there are plenty of people in Spira who, not liking the Al Bhed methods, still view them as people.  Proof of this is of course how the Al Bhed are allowed to play Blitz Ball with the others, so clearly there is some level of acceptance in Spira among the general populace.  If Yevon were to attack the Al Bhed with no legitimate excuse, things could get ugly, fast, and with a giant death whale flying around...well, one could say Sin's next attack would be blamed on "YOU ATTACKED THE AL BHED!" spun against Yevon quickly, POLITICAL BREAK DOWN!

-Yevon merely followed the bread crumbs.  The game specifies it's the Guado, who were in Macalania at the time.  Now, following the river and all that, very possible they traced it down to Bikanel Island, and saw hints of the Al Bhed there, and just came to the conclusion "SHE'S THERE!"  How they got there before the team?  Well, if you watch, you see Garudas and such flying around, so the Guado probably just jumped on birds and flew towards it.

It's still debatably a plot hole, but one that could probably be explained, I guess.  The game never does cover how the Guado/Yevon found Home in any event, when it's suppose to be hidden.

BACK TO THE STORY THOUGH!

The big thing that happens here is Rikku exposits some of the Al Bhed's past after Wakka notes how Home is basically fucked.  Now what's interesting is why would Wakka care about Home and be the one to say that?  It suggests that Wakka, being right there and seeing the Al Bhed being murdered left and right and the building collapsing, is finally understanding that the Al Bhed are people just like everyone else, and starting to feel bad about it himself.  Combine this with how his faith in Yevon has shaken and how they're the ones who staged the attack, it makes sense that Wakka would have this reaction instead of "This is what you guys deserved!"  Rikku simply explains how the Al Bhed have been screwed by Sin in the same way as everyone else, and she starts to break down crying.  In a nice little attention to detail, it's Wakka who acts as the sleeve for Rikku to cry into, which unfortunately isn't much of a moment because it's off to the side and they're quick into the "we must go!" thing.

After discussing the Summoner kidnappings, Tidus goes "well, Guardians just do their jobs and the Summoner is safe!"  Then awkward silence, and Tidus finally starts to get a hint.  Then the big reveal by Rikku happens moments later, and Tidus goes on his whole crying fest, feeling betrayed, and that he's been an idiot all along, etc.  Everyone else seems to agree with Tidus that "Summoners dying aren't good" except Donna and Isaaru, the other Summoners, who assure Tidus that part of becoming a Summoner is being resolved to make that sacrifice for everyone.

Now before someone says "Well duh Yuna was going to die from the Final Aeon, it's obvious!", that's not true at all.  The game doesn't really throw many strong hints that Yuna is going to die as a result of the pilgrimage; I don't think they even state that "Braska is dead" anywhere.  We just know that Jecht disappeared, Auron came back, and there's no mention of what happened to Braska one way or another; if nothing else, that at least hints his fate is known and since he's nowhere to be found, probably dead.  Additionally, and this is something so many people seem to forget about fictional characters:

They are not genre savvy.  They don't know the cliches and tropes that affect them, that's kind of why they're part of the story.  It's fiction, but to the characters, you need to remember they're treating this as reality.  So it doesn't matter how obvious it is to the player, the question is "how obvious would it be to someone who is thinking this is real life and story conventions won't apply?"  This isn't a 4th wall breaking comedy, it's drama.  You don't assume a Hollywood ending to tragedies in real life where everyone comes out a-ok, you don't assume that the ruler of a country is really planning to unleash a cosmic horror on the world in an attempt for world dominat-...ok, that's a bad example.

In the end, it makes perfect sense for Tidus to have been completely in the dark.  He knows nothing of Spira, "obvious genre conventions" don't apply to fictional character knowledge, and why does everyone else know but he doesn't?  Well gee, it's almost everyone else grew up in Spira and was taught the obvious lore, and lived with that their entire lives.  It's almost like the WHOLE POINT of the character is that he DOESN'T know anything, thus being a proxy for the player that the characters can explain things to.  When all is said and done, Tidus' reaction is completely understandable here.  A total mental break down and everything; everything he was glorifying just took a huge negative turn.

Oh, Isaaru and Donna both state that the Al Bhed deserve a sending for protecting them.  From what I gather, this scene further highlights that the main issue with Al Bhed is that they sacrificed all the benefits granted by Yevon due to their blasphemous ways, such as sending, aide by the Crusaders, etc., but they're not considered horrible people.  It's just a case of "If you follow Yevon, Yevon will protect you" and the Al Bhed chose not to.  Giving the a sending is of course the summoners' way of saying "Thank you for your sacrifice"; Isaaru even says something along the lines of "they deserve at least this much."  No, this isn't really anything new, more just further emphasizing that Al Bhed are not viewed as "bad people" so much as just aren't part of Yevon. 

So Tidus takes his anger out on Cid next, mostly demanding to find Yuna, Cid and Tidus argue a bit with Tidus ultimately saying "SHE WON'T DIE" and Cid going "remember those words."  I think this part just emphasizes why the Al Bhed took action recently and not sometime earlier:

It's entirely Yuna.  Remember that Cid and Yuna are family, so it makes sense that Cid would finally care about the Summoners dying and take action.  Yes, it could be argued a selfish position, but it's based on an emotional context.  He wasn't acting out of idiocy is my point.  This was discussed a while back that the Al Bhed were being morons preventing the Summoner pilgrimages because this is the only known way to stop Sin and they're preventing it.  I think the way Cid talks about Yuna specifically suggests that it's not summoners he's worried about, it's Yuna; he doesn't want Yuna to die.  So why go the Summoner route?  Probably as a smokescreen; by stating "we're preventing all pilgrimages!" it makes sense to send multiple Al Bhed out to do it, but saying "We're protecting my niece!" does sound selfish.

So with Home being blown up, the Al Bhed are upset, THEN WAKKA TO THE RESCUE!

"Hey cheer up, it's like Happy Festival Fireworks, ya!?"

Yeah, that'll do it, thanks a lot Wakka.  Let's be fair; Wakka's heart was in the right place.  He was trying to put a positive spin on it for purposes of cheering Rikku up, going with a "But man, wasn't that explosion so cool looking!?"  The problem of course is Wakka's an idiot, so he completely drops the ball on this one.  And just to make things clear, Wakka being an idiot isn't a bad thing, as that's how the character was written intentionally; just see Lulu's constant "Wakka shut up" statements early game and the way he responds to anything that Tidus and Rikku second guess him on.

And that's more or less where I ended.  Tidus did have a major whine moment here...except technically, "whining" is unjustified complaining and considering what Tidus just learned, I wouldn't call his outburst unreasonable.  In fact, no one is even telling Tidus he overreacted; the character's responses seem to imply they actually understand what he's going through, as there was no way he was mentally prepared for such a reveal.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A