Register

Author Topic: What's for dinner, DL?  (Read 41629 times)

Idun

Re: What's for dinner, DL?
« Reply #250 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:24 PM »
Looks good. [= Cream sauce? Like, homemade cream sauce with HWC? Man, so tasty but makes my body shutdown. ;-;

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2013, 06:32:30 AM »
Yep! I try to make most things from scratch. Not pesto though, because pesto is annoying and expensive to make on your own. I just wait for it to be on sale. :p
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Idun

« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »
Chickpea tiki masala, garlic & butter jasmine rice --- with peeled chunky tomatoes. broccoli and white onions added.
side: small thing of cucumbers, salt/pepper and italian dressing.
side: three strawberries sliced
side: small bag of Sun Chips
side: small can of strawberry Seltzer
----
cost: $15 for an entire week's worth of lunch. Even have leftover chickpeas for other things (but I already have two bins of hummus. I have a -problem-

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 25, 2013, 12:14:39 PM »
Gaiz

gaiz I figured out how to make Salad not suck

add a lot of things that aren't salad to it

Fry up onions and garlic in butter, simmer until translucent, add chicken, season (I used pepper, parsley, and basil), continue to simmer on low (otherwise the butter burns up).  Take cabbage, sprouts, and spinach and toss that fucker like he killed your kid.  Add tomato, walnuts, and cheese.  Cut up chicken once grilled, throw it on the salad, and use butter and onion sauce for dressing. 

I don't know if this is actually healthy but it is still technically a salad.  Diet!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:26:33 PM by Makkotah »

Idun

« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2013, 10:54:30 PM »
What a nice medley!

Crockpotted three-bean veggie chili. It is actually amazing, yeah. Got to use my mini processor finally.

Idun

« Reply #255 on: November 14, 2013, 04:03:37 AM »
coconut curry chickpea soup on a bed of basmati rice

next up, since the weather is nice: apple butternut squash soup

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 04, 2019, 11:35:14 PM »
DUN DUN DUN.

So. I wanna bump this because I've been figuring out snacks to make to quell a lot of my angry midday hunger, which is also when I tend to binge. I finally pulled out my white truffle oil to make truffle popcorn. I've had this oil for MAYBE two or three, or four-- actually, yeah, four, it was with me in Austin-- years and didn't want to open it because I treasured the fact of ever buying truffle oil?

Anyway. I found this recipe:

https://www.willcookforsmiles.com/italian-truffle-oil-popcorn/

0 from 0 votes
 Print
Italian Truffle Oil Popcorn
Ingredients
1 bag of Skinnygirl popcorn
1 1/2 Tbsp truffle oil
1 tsp fresh minced basil
1 tsp fresh minced Italian parsley
1/4 tsp garlic powder
fresh cracked pepper
2 Tbsp dry Parmesan
Instructions
In a large bowl, combine truffle oil, herbs and pepper and mix well.
Pop the popcorn according to the package instructions.
Add to oil mixture
--

BUT, fuck buying Skinny Girl Popcorn. Just stovetop 1/3 cup of kernels in 2tbsp of your preferred oil. Going in knowing what I know now, I would simply season the popcorn rather than making a mixture so you can save a bowl. 1/3 makes a shit ton of popcorn, so get a big bowl. It is absolutely delicious. I saved a small container's worth though for late-time snacking. Ate it without the parmesan. Too ritzy.

Also?

Tuna salad on crackers with sliced parmesan. Very good snack:

2 cans of tuna (AND WHATEVER YOU WANT TO PUT IN IT, TBH)
half of an apple
1/4 cup onions
1/3 cup diced celery
whatever amount of mayo you want to your consistency

mix.

top on a cracker when you have a craving.

I've been downing Gummy Bears and Sour Gummy Worms like none other this last week and decided enuff was enuff.

*looks up. sees old account. shakes head. moves on*
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:36:59 PM by dunie »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 05, 2019, 11:15:53 PM »
I've been downing Gummy Bears and Sour Gummy Worms like none other this last week and decided enuff was enuff.

Then give the rest to me.

*glomp*

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 06, 2019, 01:01:35 AM »
I have not one but two new kitchen appliances since I last talked to anyone about what I was cooking and I can count on one hand the number of times I've used them in the past year. (Okay, to be fair, one is BRAND new, from Christmas, but still - I just took it out of the box this weekend.)

Kidthing and lack of kitchen space are major bummers when it comes to actually cooking, the former due to time and the latter due to mess and storage, but I'm trying to edge back toward cooking at home like a normal human being. Andrew helps with that a lot since he seems to care more, and food really stresses me out. Like, been seeing a therapist because my approach to food is actively dangerous stresses me out.

Suffice to say that we have been pretty low on the "recipe" front. It's a lot more dumping some spices on a basic protein and serving it with a side of a basic vegetable/salad and calling it good. When recipes are called on, it's mostly just to get proportions right, not to try something new. Beef stroganoff in the Instant Pot is one, for example! Andrew wants to try one or more lifestyle diets (e.g., Paleo) and I'm nominally on board as long as I don't have to do too much of the planning. The last time I broke down over food was at the grocery store trying to decide between meats based on whether they had nitrites or not and nothing was labeled and the internet wasn't working so I couldn't check and - why, no, I have not gained any chill since that happened 6 years ago.

But I have an Instant Pot, a food processor, a stand mixer, and a stick blender, and I want to move past simply having the kitchen stocked as if I cook.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 07, 2019, 05:07:24 AM »
I got a multipot for christmas, myself. Been using it a fair bit. Toss protein in there, add broth and seasonings, call it good. Has been working pretty well. Used it for pork roast, pork carnitas, beef curry, bbq pulled pork, and just shredded chicken so far. Also for cream of asparagus soup which was very nice.

I should go over there sometime to poke the kidthing and invade the kitchen to make you two(and a half) a thing sometime~
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2019, 09:20:37 PM »
That makes 5 DLers with an Instapot or Insta-inspired-pot!

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 06, 2019, 10:39:50 PM »
How fascinating.

ETA: This was in response to a spam post, since removed, wherein the person wrote a story about trying a recipe for the first time after buying a house in the French Riveria (which was linked) and oh by the way he was going to propose to his girlfriend.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:17:02 PM by Lady Door »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 06, 2019, 10:52:41 PM »
I was going to cook tonight but an unexpected patch of mud when enjoying the nice evening has resulted in takeout, shame, and a lot of ice packs.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 07, 2019, 04:42:44 PM »
Checks out.  Mud hides rogue PS2s.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 15, 2019, 05:23:45 AM »
Because I am off for summer break, I've been delving into trying out some new stuff.

First two recipes are from books that I was gifted by family members; first was from my grandma and second was from my auntie.

1. https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/pork-chops-with-apples-and-creamy-bacon-cheese-grits/

To be honest, I replaced the grits with mashed potatoes, so I really just made the pork chops. Really good with the maple and apple sauce, and the sauce makes a delightful topping for the potatoes (although I like my potatoes cheesy and without gravy typically). The cookbook version also recommended adding a bit of rosemary, which I did. Great decision. Not the world's biggest pork fan, a little on the dry side, but pretty damn good for pork.

*Note: I halved the recipe for 2 people and had enough for the meal and no more. Leftover pork sounds questionable.

Verdict: 4/5; great dish if you like pork, pretty good even for me.

2. https://www.rachaelray.com/recipes/thai-it-youll-like-it-hot-curry-beef-noodle-bowls/

This is a funky recipe with a mixture of the curry paste and the hot peppers. The original recipe book, which I was using to make the recipe, omitted the 3 tablespoons of cornstarch present in this recipe (not sure if just an error?) but the product ended up being pretty watery (and to be honest, if I had tried to boil the water off the peppers would have rapidly gotten really gross.). It tasted good and had a nice kick, but the consistency was definitely off. Since I used powdered broth mix rather than real broth, I would probably just add some broth mix and a little bit of water instead of the way-too-much-water that I added this time. Basil is, not gonna lie, super great in pretty much all southeast Asian style recipes.

*Note: The recipe is enough for 2 leftovers.

Verdict: 3/5; pretty good but not exceptional.

3. I decided to double down on new recipes and make a couple of new Indian foods. The first recipe is from the cookbook of this amazing Indian InstantPot woman; I discovered her website when looking for a dahl InstantPot dish and decided to pick up her Indian InstantPot cookbook. She hasn't let me down yet! Second recipe is just something I decided to search up after having a fabulous version of it at an Indian restaurant. Of course, this sets you up for disappointment. I just found one that was highly rated and didn't seem too fatty / cream heavy.

https://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-chana-masala-punjabi-chole-spiced-chickpea-curry/

https://www.easycookingwithmolly.com/2016/02/indian-methi-chicken-murg-methi/

Note: In all recipes, I omit ginger because it makes my stomach hurt. I also replaced the 2 crushed tomatoes with 2.5 tablespoons of tomato paste and 1/2 cup of water.

This was definitely a kickass meal.

The chickpeas were just the right consistency (I thought to myself 35 minutes of pressure cooking? but it was correct) and the tomato paste added the right amount of a tomato taste without overpowering. This recipe has a lot of spices, but thankfully I live next to a huge spice store, so I was able to get everything for it. The one minor bit of pain was the roasted cumin powder; as it turns out, the pepper grinder isn't very good for grinding large quantities of things. Oh well. :D The other nice thing about this recipe is that chickpeas, especially without the presence of creamy bases, are really damn healthy. Lots of protein, fiber, and not too caloric.

The methi ended up being quite good even if I was concerned at first as the yogurt in the recipe began curdling pretty quickly. The fenugreek leaves are what really gives it its flavor. This one had quite a kick due to the green chiles and cayenne pepper (I added half of what she recommended and I felt like that was a good space for me, someone who likes some spice but not too much). Ultimately, because the sauce was not the focal point of the recipe, the yogurt ended up just sticking to the chicken and it was fine.

*Note: I made this with steamed rice and had three meals worth of leftovers at the end.

Verdict: 5/5 for the chana masala and 4.5/5 for the methi. I would definitely make both of these again. The half a point mostly represents how much easier the chana masala was to make.

Just as an extra note, here's the original dahl recipe that inspired me to buy this book.

https://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-dal-makhani/

and here's a bunch of other InstantPot recipes for soups and stews:

https://encouragingmomsathome.com/100-best-instant-pot-recipes-soups-stews/

I've tried a handful of these (Hearty Broccoli Soup, Beef Curry, the dahl mahkani above, African Peanut Butter Stew, Smoky Lentil and Potato Soup, 10 minute baked potato soup) and most of them are pretty damn nice. Smoky Lentil and Potato Soup has become a staple in our house. It's a nice starting place for the InstantPot if you don't know exactly where to start.

I also adapted Saika's Portuguese chicken stew for the instantpot as well, which worked pretty well even if cooking the chicken was a bit time-consuming at the beginning.

Desserts:
I bought https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/sallys-cookbooks/sallys-cookie-addiction/ after reading an article on Buzzfeed about the best recipe books on the market. I am largely pretty happy with my selection of non-dessert recipe books, but I picked up a couple of dessert-special books. So far I've tried the pecan chocolate chip, the brown butter snickerdoodle, the pistachio molasses (I caved and put ginger powder in this), the peanut butter, and the vanilla spice slice-n-bake. Every single one has been better than any cookies I've baked in my life.

I'm gonna keep experimenting. I have some particularities with recipes; in particular, I do not like tomatoes in their slimy form. For recipes that require tomatoes as a base, I usually use tomato paste. For recipes that want them chunky, I usually use red peppers. It has worked pretty well for me. Excited to try more new stuff. ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 05:26:46 AM by Luther Lansfeld »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2019, 04:42:51 AM »
More foods:

4. Pulled pork / broccoli scalloped potatoes

So about seven or eight years ago my grandma gave me this big stack of recipes that she wrote on index cards. Because my grandmother writes in cursive, I found them hard to read so I mostly just left them without using them for a long time. I decided to dig them up as part of this summer’s experiments, though.

Pulled pork:
Ingredients:
~2 lb pork loin
1 onion
seasoning (salt + pepper or BBQ rub)
1 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 cup mustard
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth

1. In InstantPot, sear seasoned meat cut into 8-10 chunks, along with the onions for 6-8 min
2. Pour all other ingredients over meat.
3. Cook in InstantPot on high / Meat setting for 45 minutes.

This was soooo damn tasty. I received a bottle of Rudy’s Rub from my in-laws, and I decided to cover the pulled pork with it. It was not as authentic as smokehouse BBQ, but it was so juicy and tender and just great. 

Broccoli scalloped potatoes:
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
5 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon peppers
1/8 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups swiss cheese, shredded and divided in half.
2 lb potatoes, thin sliced (I used Yukon gold)
2 cups of broccoli florets

1. Saute onions for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for a little while longer.
2. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. then the milk until thick.
3. Add 1 cup of the swiss cheese and stir until the cheese is melted into the sauce.
4. Add potatoes and broccoli to 13 x 9 greased baking dish
5. Pour and mix in cheese sauce and bake for 40 minutes.
6. Sprinkle the other cup of swiss cheese on top and cook for 20 minutes more.

This was very creamy and cheesy. It was decent but it was a pain in the ass to make and it wasn’t really better than just making mashed potatoes. It’s something to make for a special occasion, but not too often.

Verdict: Pulled pork 5/5 scalloped potatoes 3/5

5. Zuppa Toscana
https://encouragingmomsathome.com/whole30-instant-pot-zuppa-toscana/

So I guess I made a Whole30 version, which mostly just meant that it has coconut milk instead of regular milk? Well, whatever. I used spicy sausage and fresh spinach. It was pretty tasty, nice meal starter. I’m not sure if it replaces my favorite soups but it’s a nice shakeup if I wanted something different. It’s quite brothy and fills you up nicely before eating.

Verdict: 4/5

6. Punjabi potato and green beans
https://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-aloo-beans/

I had some extra green beans that needed to be used up, so here we are. Another good dish from this website. It is a dry Indian dish, so it doesn’t have much in the way of a sauce. It’s a nice dish, even if not quite as yummy as some of her other ones.

Verdict: 4/5

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2019, 05:34:56 PM »
New apartment, same recipes, and everything's not quite where it should be.  This is in large part from switching from electric to gas stove, in small part from switching grocery stores and not having quite the same versions of the ingredients (my new ras el hanout is way to cinnamony).  I'll get there but it's pretty frustrating for the time being.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 05:39:34 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2019, 09:04:08 PM »
Yeah, we just moved too, so I've been adjusting to the stove heating up way faster than at the old place. Burned a couple of bottoms of pans.  :'(

Gas is supposedly really nice for cooking but I've only really used my mom's gas stove, which is ancient and you have to light manually. Probably not the most unbiased source on such things.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:05:55 PM by Luther Lansfeld »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2019, 09:37:03 PM »
Gas is mostly about having a lot of control over the heat, rather than having to wait for the heat to rise/lower as the elements heat and cool.  That's super important for high level cooking, weirdly sorta annoying for most of the small-dish stuff you're likely to do at home unless you do a lot of entertaining or have a pretty big family.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 23, 2019, 12:48:54 AM »
This seemed relevant to slide in here: Berkeley first city in California to ban natural gas in new buildings

So be grateful for your ability to use gas ranges, I guess. They're so cool even Berkeley banned them.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2019, 01:36:36 PM »
I'm two weeks in to cooking excessive amounts of soup for dinner. Perfect for cold weather and cheaper heating bills~ The first was the ever-simple apple butternut squash soup, and today's the last day for my vegan tuscan soup (that I also added Italian tofurky slices to, because, why not make it a confused wedding soup?). Sunday night, I'm making:

Hominy and Spinach in Tomato-Garlic Broth (*vegan)
1 cup dried hominy
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced red onion
7 cloves garlic minced
1 can plum tomatoes
5 cups veggie stock
sunflower oil (to fry the veggies, hard things but not the hominy)
1 cup spinach (which I strongly suggest changing to 2 cups, because, spinach's notorious shrink)
ground white pepper and salt to taste
2 tbs minced parsley garnish

You can also garnish this "soup" with extra hominy

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 20, 2019, 02:26:47 AM »
https://www.primaverakitchen.com/spicy-chicken-with-cauliflower-rice/

Made this for dinner tonight, except replacing 1/2 of the paprika from the chicken marinade with chipotle chili powder. The recipe as-is didn't seem as spicy as I like so I decided to heat it up a bit. I made it with broccoli mashed potatoes and steamed green beans. Overall, another nice dish, and healthy too. I think it does need the extra kick on the chicken marinade.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 05, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17846/incredibly-easy-chicken-and-noodles/ We added carrots and lettuce. Very basic but easy and tasty; made a ton of leftovers too.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2019, 08:50:14 PM »
What are people doing for Christmas? I'm always unduly concerned about duplicating Thanksgiving food and bridging enough healthy options between the holidays to maintain my weight. Thus far I'm aiming for something colorful: garlicky roasted veggies (like carrots, brussels, the likes...), a meat roast with cranberries, a vegan "roast" with cranberries, chivey scalloped potatoes, and either a snickerdoodle pie or a lemon and raspberry cake. Trying to only make enough for two nights of leftovers. . . .

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 04, 2020, 05:28:13 AM »
More new recipes:

https://therecipecritic.com/garlic-beef-and-broccoli-noodles/

Verdict: 3.5/5. Decent, but nothing really outstanding that blew my mind. It was easy at least.

https://damndelicious.net/2014/10/03/easy-lo-mein/

Verdict: 4/5. The Sriracha made it quite spicy, and it was fresh and delicious and meat-free. Score!

https://www.hummusapien.com/instant-pot-pad-thai-stir-fry/

Verdict: 4.5/5. Again, meatless stir fry, this time with a pad thai twist, although not the tamarind version. This one also has Sriracha, but the extra peanut butter make it a bit saucier than the other one, which I liked.

https://pantryportfolio.com/2018/03/11/mushroom-barley-risotto-instant-pot/

Verdict: 4.5/5. I added sage, rosemary, and thyme to this recipe, as well as a couple of handfuls of spinach. The barley makes it have a nice nutty taste without even adding nuts!

I also made a Mongolian Beef Stir Fry with snap peas and bok choy, but it was only so-so. Oh well, you win some, you lose some~