Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194782 times)

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #3475 on: October 02, 2015, 01:49:39 AM »
Fen I know you are reading this should I buy The Beginner's Guide immediately.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: October 02, 2015, 02:12:06 AM »
Man I feel dumb about the tsundere plane pun

nah any pun that requires you to mispronounce words is real dumb to begin with

It's exchanges like this that make me wary of playing the game. Nothing I've seen or heard so far seems like humor I'd appreciate (and fourth-wall breaking is just no stop).

You can do what I did and play the demo, decide you were bored, then look up the story to see what the big deal is and still not get why no one wanted to talk about it.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: October 02, 2015, 02:22:12 AM »
Regarding Seymour Natus, I mastered it by making liberal use of multi-target attacks like Quake.  By attacking Seymour and Morty at the same time it's like getting an extra hit because Morty drains Seymour.  Granted most of my soul breaks are aoes, so this strategy might not work for you.  I had Magic Break on Balthier and his sequence was break Seymour, break Morty, do some other attack, then start over at breaking Seymour.  I used Stoneskin RW, but Boon would be even better.

...Defender X has a lot of hp.  And having one of Selphie's slots taken up by Berserk isn't helping.  Either need to run a second white mage or do more honing.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: October 02, 2015, 02:41:06 AM »
Running a second White Mage honestly isn't a bad idea. If you have even a 4* rod, you can pull off pretty solid shenanigans.

Final Fantasy Help Me I'm Autobattlin' - Auron event is out, did the usual 100-gem pull. Got a 5* FF4 Gold Hairpin. Sure, I'll take it.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: October 02, 2015, 04:17:15 AM »
Man, the Zack event was easy.

Plowing thru the auron event.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3480 on: October 02, 2015, 07:36:04 AM »
Fen I know you are reading this should I buy The Beginner's Guide immediately.

Yes.

Don't get too hyped or anything though

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: October 02, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »
FFRK - plowing through the Auron event, just picked up the newly released character.

...And as I said in chat not long ago...   <MagicFanatic> ...I keep staring at the most recent banner in FFRK, wanting to spend more money for gems to make equipment pulls, and have to keep telling myself I shouldn't.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: October 02, 2015, 10:46:42 AM »
You probably should stop playing if it tingles your gambling instincts that badly.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3483 on: October 02, 2015, 11:27:28 AM »
Yeah, I'm with Snow here. FFRK is fun, but not $100/month fun.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3485 on: October 02, 2015, 12:35:48 PM »
So majestic~

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: October 02, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
I will fully admit that most of what had me excited about Undertale was knowing other works Toby Fox is associated with and enjoying them quite a bit. For what it's worth, I still think it's probably my game of the year and honestly find some comments about it bewildering ("I don't like being told I'm a bad person for doing bad things because video game characters don't real" striking me as particularly, "uh...") but I also accept and understand that you are all plebeians and that is something outside of my control.

FFRK - The FF7AC event makes me a little angry that I spent one of my free MC1 gifts on Sephiroth's since I just got his again (and after looking up Record Materia, I really want Luneth's. Auto-haste, but it's 20 story dungeons away >_<), but ah well. I feel like that's just going to be a pattern with this game and will not worry too much about it. Too busy worrying about wasting Stamina.

Running through story dungeons now while I wait for the EX battles to drop. Almost to the Summoner MC, now that I've been converted to the Valefor faith, so that's good. My collection of Level 50 organ banks keeps growing, so that's also good. Terra hit 80, and the rest of my A-team are all above Level 70 sans Aerith, who is climbing the ranks while playing babysitter to my organ banks, so that's also good. Lots of people with Cloud's new ridiculous "what does power creep mean" SB keep showing up as RWs for me, so that is also good.

And I haven't spent any money on this game still, which is also good. This means I am winning. Magic, you need to get better at this game.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: October 02, 2015, 02:47:41 PM »
I will fully admit that most of what had me excited about Undertale was knowing other works Toby Fox is associated with and enjoying them quite a bit. For what it's worth, I still think it's probably my game of the year and honestly find some comments about it bewildering ("I don't like being told I'm a bad person for doing bad things because video game characters don't real" striking me as particularly, "uh...") but I also accept and understand that you are all plebeians and that is something outside of my control

As Zennyish as that post was I'd actually like having a proper discussion about this!

To repeat something I said to Gourry, what if , when opening Duck Game for the second time you'd get a message that says "You, player. Please stop playing Duck Game. So the ducks can finally be at peace." You'd laugh.
Undertale does the same thing, except it is actually serious, and considers this as Very Important, and players genuinely see this as powerful.
Sorry but 2 dumb. And I don't like the implication that continuing playing makes you a badman.

The game is still good overall, don't worry Cid

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: October 02, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »
Also note the fact that Zenny also does things for the explicit purpose of being told that he is a bad person.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3489 on: October 02, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
FFRK: Sweet, Auron is out, welcome to the party! I finally have a new character who can use Retaliate who isn't max levelled! Shut up, Cyan doesn't count.

Picked up Kimahri's Memory Crystal... it's more like a burden than a reward. Now I -have- to level him up to 50...

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: October 02, 2015, 04:06:50 PM »
To repeat something I said to Gourry, what if , when opening Duck Game for the second time you'd get a message that says "You, player. Please stop playing Duck Game. So the ducks can finally be at peace." You'd laugh.
Undertale does the same thing, except it is actually serious, and considers this as Very Important, and players genuinely see this as powerful.
Sorry but 2 dumb. And I don't like the implication that continuing playing makes you a badman.

Sure, I'll take a stab.  Undertale and Duck Game are extremely different works, and lumping them together because "they're both video games" or more widely "they're both fiction, they're not real" doesn't sit well with me. 

Not being able to empathize with fictional characters in general is... something I cannot understand. You care about flesh and blood people you meet in real life, right?  Well, how about people you only meet over the internet, but maybe only meet in person once or never?  How often do you hear people saying things like "I thought I liked you but I actually just liked my mental image of you"?  How much can anyone say they really know their grandparents, or great grandparents, compared to a mental fiction of what those people were like?  How about historical figures?  How about historical figures going further back where some amount of fiction is undoubtedly worked into the history?  How about going back to mythical figures who may or may not have existed but probably had some base in reality, unless maybe they didn't? 

The line between reality and fiction in people's minds is not really all that clear.  I prefer to err on the side of caring about people and empathizing with them, and I find value in doing that whether or not they are "real."

On another axis, fiction has creators, media is a communication between the author and the audience.  Duck Game's creator doesn't ask that you take Duck Game's characters seriously and care about them.  That is clearly communicated through the tone of the game.  Toby Fox does ask, implicitly, that you take Undertale's characters seriously for maximum enjoyment.  That is also clearly communicated through the tone of the game!  Maybe not case by case, he surely is thick skinned enough to care about individuals or groups not doing so, but if *no one* took the game seriously and cared about the characters, you have to imagine he'd be unhappy.  So no matter how you slice it, there is a Definitely Real Person being slighted there, if only at an expected and atomic level.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: October 02, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
Picked up Kimahri's Memory Crystal... it's more like a burden than a reward. Now I -have- to level him up to 50...

Even better, you have to level him up before the event ends, since bringing him is a target score req on the Biran/Yenke ++ fight! Have fun, I egged him way back in Forbidden Treasure because of that shit.

Final Fantasy Chant Of The Autobattle - Currently mowing through Auron's event, beelined for both his and Blue XIII's Memory Crystals and cap-broke both. Tidus actually delivers on FFX events when he's running around with a 6* Official Ball, by the way.

EDIT: The FFRK subreddit is currently a barrel of monkeys with all the people bemoaning pulling Kimahri's Dusk Spear. I've never seen people get so angry over scoring a character relic. And the spear itself isn't even bad!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:17:22 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3492 on: October 02, 2015, 05:13:55 PM »
FFRK: Well, at least it means I'll be able to field a full FFX party in FFX dungeons now. Kimahri can at least pretend to be useful at max level with record synergy. And hey, he can use Boost! That's... something?

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3493 on: October 02, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »
Re: Undertale's RPGness:  Nah, can't buy it.  I know RPG is a loose definition, and you all are getting consumed by Record "Autobattle" Keeper, but still.  RPGs, even Dragon Warrior, tend to have you make a few decisions about how to fight encounters, and have stats and equipment be important ish.  Undertale, even in Genocide Mode, does not.  Every encounter is "Press Fight for X turns, maybe heal when your HP is low" and that's it.  Not just figuratively it, like an easy RPG, but literally it, there is nothing else.  No other battle commands that matter when Fighting, no other PCs, no usable items except healing, maybe one equipment choice ever, no stats but HP/attack/defense and nothing you do really alters them.  The only actual gameplay to be had is shmup-style dodging for survival.  We're not talking "Tales of is sort of like a fighting game" here, there is not any RPG to be had at all, at least in my mental book.

If Undertale was a PnP we'd say that it's fluff, not mechanics, centric.  Having role-playing games' identity is rooted in a combat system is something that Indie games could probably benefit from moving away from, especially if they want to do weird experimental shit.  Probably it suffers from not de-emphasizing it MORE.  Like, I see what they're trying to do and they didn't go far enough.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:41:05 PM by Anthony Edward Stark »

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: October 02, 2015, 08:55:09 PM »
Can we please not turn this into a "My game is better than your game" topic?

After watching videos, reading wikis, playing the demo, et cetera, I have a not negative review of Undertale. I'd post it somewhere, but out of respect for the anti-spoiler crowd, I'm not sure how to actually do this.

EDIT
"Review" is probably best reserved for completing something myself. I have a not negative detached criticism of the game that praises some things and explains why it didn't come close to grabbing me, personally.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:56:54 PM by Veryslightlymad »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: October 02, 2015, 09:59:14 PM »
Make a topic that says "Undertale Critique *SPOILERS*" or do a small text post?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: October 02, 2015, 10:38:42 PM »
15 pages a day of FF:RK, and we're going to criticize people talking about other games?

I haven't played any of these games, but the discussion re: Undertale has been the most interesting thing I've seen in this topic in a long time.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: October 02, 2015, 10:49:25 PM »
Idly, I realize it might partly just be because folks aren't doing a lot else, but it might be worth considering giving RK it's own topic. It feels like it is consuming far more of the topic airspace for far longer than any other game we've had (even FE stuff).

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: October 03, 2015, 12:06:49 AM »

Sure, I'll take a stab.  Undertale and Duck Game are extremely different works, and lumping them together because "they're both video games" or more widely "they're both fiction, they're not real" doesn't sit well with me. 

Not being able to empathize with fictional characters in general is... something I cannot understand. You care about flesh and blood people you meet in real life, right?  Well, how about people you only meet over the internet, but maybe only meet in person once or never?  How often do you hear people saying things like "I thought I liked you but I actually just liked my mental image of you"?  How much can anyone say they really know their grandparents, or great grandparents, compared to a mental fiction of what those people were like?  How about historical figures?  How about historical figures going further back where some amount of fiction is undoubtedly worked into the history?  How about going back to mythical figures who may or may not have existed but probably had some base in reality, unless maybe they didn't? 

The line between reality and fiction in people's minds is not really all that clear.  I prefer to err on the side of caring about people and empathizing with them, and I find value in doing that whether or not they are "real."

On another axis, fiction has creators, media is a communication between the author and the audience.  Duck Game's creator doesn't ask that you take Duck Game's characters seriously and care about them.  That is clearly communicated through the tone of the game.  Toby Fox does ask, implicitly, that you take Undertale's characters seriously for maximum enjoyment.  That is also clearly communicated through the tone of the game!  Maybe not case by case, he surely is thick skinned enough to care about individuals or groups not doing so, but if *no one* took the game seriously and cared about the characters, you have to imagine he'd be unhappy.  So no matter how you slice it, there is a Definitely Real Person being slighted there, if only at an expected and atomic level.

Hmmmmmm

I agree with the first part of your post, but I feel that the question here is not : "Is caring about fictional characters fine?" (the answer is: yes) but : "Is not caring about these fictional characters fine?"

I mean, if Duck Game told you to stop killing ducks:
- Some people would stop killing ducks because they truly care about these mean ducks (That would be you and Gourry)
- Some people would still like to kill ducks because Duck Game is fun and these ducks are... JUST... MERE... DATA, but they would then experience weird cognitive dissonance because the game would tell them they're super jerks (That would be me)
- Some people would not give any shit about what the dev's point is and whether it matters (That would be Djinn and very probably Zenny )

TBH, I do find it interesting that the game goes "If you truly care about these characters, then never replay this game, just move on" and if players like me have to be ignored, so you guys can have something like that, then k it's not a problem.

Something else bothering me though.

I would agree that in this kind of game, characters are an extension of the mind of the dev, and if you choose to hurt these characters, you are dismissing the dev's point of view. Fair point.

In a regular game, your only options are: playing along with the game, or closing it and doing something else. Go with the game or get out.
Undertale gives you an additional nihilistic option of destroying everything, and then it directly chastizes you for using it. It's very... crazy defensive? And immature? It feels like Toby Fox playing Genesis God, with the ability to kill ingame being the metaphorical apple?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: October 03, 2015, 12:10:24 AM »
Can we please not turn this into a "My game is better than your game" topic?

When did that happen?