Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194762 times)

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #3425 on: September 28, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »
I kind of wish there were versions of Undertale's final encounter(s) that were just straight up fights since they just become pretty cool challenges that way.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: September 28, 2015, 07:37:10 PM »
To Snow Fire:

Ha? Wha? What did they do to the translation?
Yamato is not like that. He is just another chuuni who hates people because he thinks people suck.
Really, he is just a kid inside who think he is better than everyone and is not satisfied with his current standing that he has to take orders from what he considered as bunch of low life.
Thus he developed this extremely childish idea of making a world that'll only have competent people like him.

So the truth is he just want friends, but people out there are just not good enough to be one. The very reason why he eventually became MC's fanboy. Who the game wants you to believe as a superhuman being.

He is so chuuni genre savy that I don't know if he is funny or not.

As for Nicea in Tri-arc.
They talked about not giving the program to civillians because well... the raids of demons rampaging around in Sept-arc is a direct result of that.
So why not avoid the casaulties by giving Nicea to people that he already know won't let the demons out in rampage? Common sense?
There is also no need to test the humanity's will again. Because Al already know who is going to work from the expereince of the last cycle.

BTW, the Nicea logo and version number in Tri-Arc, guess if you can figure it out what it implies.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: September 28, 2015, 07:47:05 PM »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3428 on: September 28, 2015, 09:27:47 PM »
Picked up LISA because it was described as post-apocalyptic EarthBound with pro wrestling.  Fights take way too long because enemies seem to have a jillion health. Decided to just spoil the story for myself and I feel like the people who recommended it to me misrepresented what I was getting into.  There's sad and then there's absurdly grimdark.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: September 28, 2015, 10:30:36 PM »
Irvine's schtick as a great sniper gets disproven both by plot and gameplay, though, so I'm -completely- fine with that getting no recognition. Fucking Selphie gets perfect accuracy on her weapon and Irvine doesn't, so I'm not shedding a single tear over Irvine not getting a skillset that only makes sense for him if you delude yourself into thinking he's light-years more competent than he actually is.

...I hate to be the FF8 DEFENDER or something but my OCD is acting up.

No, FF8 does not disprove Irvine's sniper hype in plot at all; stop pretending this is the case.  He actually was dead on with Edea; he failed because of a barrier.  He shoots his gun at one other point during the prison break and apparently hits the guys no problem since after he shoots, they stop firing back.  Look, I get hating Irvine, I don't have much love for him myself, but that doesn't mean you can continually go on about this "HE IS BAD AS A SNIPER IN PLOT BWAHAHAH!" because no, there's nothing to support that, because as I said before, the one time we do see him taking a sniping shot, his failure had nothing to do with his aim.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: September 28, 2015, 10:42:10 PM »
There's sad, there's absurdly grimdark, and there's Warhammer 40K.

Heresy will not be tolerated.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3431 on: September 29, 2015, 12:01:40 AM »
40k is less grimdark than LISA, if only because 40k doesn't really seem to incorporate sexual abuse.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: September 29, 2015, 12:07:53 AM »
Jokes aside, I think it can get fairly vile depending on the writers you're dealing with? But I can't imagine it'd actually be pound for pound worse than a game actually dealing with it.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: September 29, 2015, 12:42:56 AM »
It is tame compared to Drakengard!

I've been listening to Undertale tracks, I hadn't really noticed that the OST was so good. I like how minor fights got some awesome themes (Dummy / Spider)

Big Pharma: I think I got this game down. I mastered a few maps already. The key is to go massively in debt and buy a ton of shit and invest in a ton of R&D and hurrying the hell up before collapsing under the weight of the debt. It doesn't always work but it's exciting.

The game is supposed to make you evil? So far:
- The only thing I care about when choosing to make a drug over another is profit, period.
- At the beginning of the game I tried to remove every side effect from my medicine. Now? I give 0 fucks, I keep all terrible side effects on because I'm lazy as hell, and I just make creams instead of pills to reduce side effects a bit so sales are higher. Better make 2 wonky pills than 1 really good one.
- I am happy anytime there's a catastrophic world event like an epidemy or something, because it means higher demand for my products. I am sad when they end.
Okay yes it has worked.

Unfortunately you cannot go all Martin Shkreli in this game, marketing isn't a part of it and you can't choose the prices you sell your product.
(There are patents though)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: September 29, 2015, 01:30:28 AM »
Niu: Oh I agree, Yamato ACTUALLY is just a spoiled kid who wants friends, but I dunno.  They seem to play him off as somebody who's serious about his goals at least somewhat even if said goals are ludicrous, a la Code Geass.  Certainly the Tri arc has Daichi - a "voice of reason" type usually - saying "you were a jerk but you were ultimately a good guy" basically, like trying to set up some bizarre magical dictatorship was no big deal and you were a bro by the end.  (And also presumably in contrast to Miyako, who is very nice but probably evil.)

For the demons, I guess it depends on how many demons were released because cell phone demon contracts gone wrong vs. explicit attacks by the Septentriones.  My personal assumption was that there was enough of the latter going on that giving the populace demons to defend themselves with seems pretty important.  But I guess it's hard to say.  (Also, not that this logic ever comes up in RPGs, but even if you know who the biggest 14 badasses with a cell phone are in advance, it might still be worth some risks to have the 140 biggest badasses ready in case they fail?)

The PCs were already pretty explicit in noting the new logo & 2.0 for Nicea, but not having particularly helpful thoughts on what it meant.  Most obvious is that somebody else is in charge (despite the Ticos being the same, and still talking about His Excellency blah blah?) since the game wants to sell handing out demons to everyone as something that Saidduq would *not* do (again, despite him allegedly doing similar things as Prometheus-lite in the past), but I suppose I'll see, no need for spoilers.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: September 29, 2015, 01:32:31 AM »
It's kinda comforting to know that, worst case, if a boss that's giving me fits is purely physical and I don't care about mastery, I can just slap the Loner Record Materia and both R5 Retaliates on Seph and most likely win.

There are videos of an earlier Yojimbo +++ fight getting soloed by Retaliate Auron without a sweat, by the way. There's a reason purely physical bosses without NAT backup have become so uncommon.

Conveniently DK Cecil makes a reappearance in the Pick 4 MC2 event as a 110 difficulty boss with no pesky trash to get in the way of silly gimmicks, and I'm pretty sure Darkness is still PHYS instead of NAT. I'm still debating whether it'd be funnier to attempt that with solo Cloud + Advance RW or go for the quintruple Retaliate.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: September 29, 2015, 02:41:18 AM »
Only problem with quintuple Retaliate is that it's a -lot- of Lesser Power Orb farming, and those are the most annoying to pick up from dungeon rummaging, I found. Farming lesser orbs on dailies is kind of a pain with the unusually high rate of 3* orb drops. Also, Gilgamesh/Loserface make funnier options.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: September 29, 2015, 03:04:48 AM »
Just realized that I forgot to switch Vivi's RM to Devotion again for the Zack bonus battles. Eh, that's the sort of mistake I can easily absorb with 5* FF7 rod and bracer equipped.

(I also forgot to swap Waterja for Thundaga for Prod Clod, did 9999 anyways)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: September 29, 2015, 03:16:20 AM »
I just brought both Waterja and Thundaga because why not have one for the Jamar Armor and one for the loser? Not like the event really takes a whole lot of effort, this one was easier than the Eiko event and it wasn't even as cheesable.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: September 29, 2015, 03:23:59 AM »
I had Quake in the other slot to damage both at the same time. :p

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: September 29, 2015, 03:34:47 AM »
That's what a second mage is for!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: September 29, 2015, 05:38:50 AM »
Quote from: Jo'ou Ranbu
Farming lesser orbs on dailies is kind of a pain with the unusually high rate of 3* orb drops.

Oh, you Global plebs with your inability to trade orbs. Need lesser orbs? Crush one two ranks above it and get 100.

---

Fenrir, if you like the Undertale OST I recommend checking out the Homestuck albums on Bandcamp. Toby Fox did a lot of the songs associated with that comic, so if you like the OST you'll probably like his work on those albums too. I can toss up a link when I get home.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: September 29, 2015, 09:11:39 AM »
VtM: Bloodlines - Finished this up finally.  Chinatown is super dense compared to earlier sections, which I guess is good because while it has a little less stuff in it, what is there is easy to get to and has less running around.  I was Tremere and went Anarchs ending.  Blood Strike is still useful even though it hasn't 4HKOed all targets in the game for a long time, but mostly for kiting and killing bosses earlier and weaving in for damage later one between melee/shooting (why are you not shooting).  I should have used Auspex to buff my Ranged Combat above 10 but always forgot.  Stuff died to the Steyr more than I remember them doing so.  Final boss fight was a rifle job though, so it was the best choice for like half the boss fights in the end of the game.

Blood Theft is just great, it tends to be blood positive on trash mobs and even if the thing you hit isn't trash it stun locks them.  While you can't shoot through the whole animation you can still get range on things while you do it so that is still crazy good.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: September 29, 2015, 11:25:41 AM »
Undertale

I finished this a couple days ago, and let it percolate because I was too braindead to muster coherent commentary immediately.  That, in fact, may still be true, but I have nothing better to do now.

That was the best and also the worst video game I've played in a long time.  But mostly the best.

Most people's reviews, as well as the game's own marketing, emphasize the pacifism vs violence choices and multiple playthrough aspects.  I think that is nonsensical and a regrettably poor choice of things to focus on.  Those aspects are not very well developed or engaging at all.  It's the usual indie game pacifism Hitler vs Jesus dynamic, with nothing particularly new or compelling to say on the subject.  Fenrir and Gourry covered all that pretty well already, if people are interested just go back and read their posts (including the spoilers, which honestly aren't very spoilery).  But in a single normal playthrough by someone who likes the game, none of that stuff is going to matter in the slightest.

Undertale is probably the best written and most detailed game I've ever played.  Every single character, every single music track, every single NPC, every single random "enemy," every single room, every single action and line and thing that a player might possibly do are placed perfectly and then showered in polish and attention.  It's rare to see an interaction where the interface ISN'T breaking in some way.  It begs the player to get immersed, to enjoy the game world and take it seriously, and to also break the fourth wall and not take it too seriously and then use THAT as a way to take it MORE seriously... and it puts more effort towards all that end than any other game.  Planescape: Torment has nothing on the artfulness and earnesty of this game.  Bioshock Infinite spends the entire game trying and trying to make the player love companion NPC Elizabeth, but Undertale can make you care more about a random one-off encounter with just a few lines of text and sprite art.

There are a million tiny things I could talk about and I don't even know where to begin.  This is a bar raiser for me.  Every future game I play, I'm going to have to look at aspects and compare them and go "well, this would've been a 10/10 game for its realization of atmosphere, but really, it's no Undertale..."

It's also a terrible game that falls completely flat if you don't get into it.  The mechanics are weak and poorly explained.  Very often you're choosing options at random, with no clue as to what they do, whether you're doing the right thing and just need to do it more, or figure out something, or perhaps nothing you do matters and you just need to survive X turns, or maybe it's a plot fight and you need to get hit, etc etc.  Movement is slow and there's no run button and scant fast travel until the endgame.  There are no technical options of any sort, except fullscreen vs windowed, and the game hogs more resources than a Source engine FPS.  And if you ever fall out of emotional immersion, or never got immersed in the first place, then suddenly you become the sarcastic teenager walking through the haunted house rolling their eyes, and there is no fun to be had anywhere.

Such are the perils of going for emotional engagement and depth: you can't please everyone.  What is deeply meaningful for some groups of people is an unintelligible turnoff for others.  It's a familiar problem in the psychological horror and character-heavy dating sim genres, and it's no coincidence that those are the genres Undertale most resembles and pays regular homage to (the surface disguise of "RPG" lasts about 30 seconds).  This is also why triple-A mass market games so rarely even attempt similar themes.  They're very risky, and indeed, Undertale is not for everyone.  I'm not sure I would recommend it to most of the DL, honestly. 

This is a game where there is an enemy named Tsunderplane.  It is a jet plane wearing a mob cap, and it is definitely not jealous that the other enemies in its formation are paying attention to do.  To defeat Tsunderplane, you must get close to it (but not too close), accept its gifts graciously, and wait patiently for it to work out its issues and figure out that it wasn't really attacted to you, but to the idea of being in love with you.  If reading that makes you crack a smile and giggle, maybe look up what a mob cap is, you will like this game.  If you are more concerned about what exactly you need to press to do those things, or you're just rolling your eyes because you believe that anime isn't real... you're gonna have a bad time.  And that's ok.

For me personally, my buttons were pushed, and pushed hard, from the beginning all the way to the end.  I cried a river during all the final battles.  The only major disappointment I felt at the end was that the game was too easy.  For supposedly being bullet hell inspired, and pushing a "pacifism is rewarding" theme, it sure didn't make a convincing case.  Pacifism never felt like a difficult choice to make, and there was only one fight in the entire game where shmup skills felt like they even came into play and helped me. 

But then Gatewalker talked about the game, raging about the difficulty of that exact fight and how it made him feel punished for having gone pacifist and not gaining levels.  So apparently it DOES work, it just didn't work for me because I'm too experienced or w/e.  That made me feel a lot better.  It made him want to quit playing, because it broke his emotional immersion.  So.  Best and worst.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: September 29, 2015, 05:15:59 PM »
I also had issues with that fight because I was using a terrible weapon that increased my defenses instead of my attacks(which was normally good for pacifist) but this was the one freaking time I had to punch something. Going back and getting real fighting equipment helped that massively(shockingly, over doubling your damage output is helpful!). Also having a bigger stock of better healing items.

So yeah, Undertale beaten. I did normal ending and Frue Jesus ending. Spoiled myself on the couple of cool things from Hitler path as I have no real desire to actually play that route.

Overall my opinions can basically be summed up as:

Story/Writing - Fantastic
Thematics/Atmosphere - Amazing, outside of a couple of decisions.
Gameplay - Bad.

I definitely overall enjoyed it, but the times where it dropped the ball, it did it in ways that pushed with sniper like precision my annoyance buttons. Gotta backtrack to find shit/do sidequests/etc and there is no run button. And the walking speed is slow. Bunch of stuff involving the final sequence(but not frue final sequence) that would be spoilers to talk about and I don't feel like doing smalltext, but it made the game feel very patronizing during those points.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: September 29, 2015, 08:37:24 PM »
Huh, I felt the gameplay was overall awesome. The lack of information to the player constitutes the only interesting thing about the Jesus vs Hitler thing. (Jesus requiring more work) Some peaceful solutions to the player felt wicked clever, like the tsundere plane, laughing at some monster's joke, throwing sticks at dogs, etc.
I also thought The boss destroying the mercy option was clear enough.
I was only disappointed by the amount of plot fights, the lack of normal boss fights like Papyrus is a shame.

Zenny do provide links

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: September 29, 2015, 09:01:25 PM »
I also quite liked Undertale's gameplay, it did a lot of clever things and there was enough variety in the enemies to make each encounter interesting. I don't get the thing about poorly explained mechanics, you mostly just check the enemy first and it was usually pretty clear what you were supposed to do after (certainly this is a lot less byzantine than Shin Megami Tensei demon negotiation where the monsters are the moodiest things ever). There's a certain order some things are to be done in but most of the time the battle dialogue told you what that was going to be (dog's not ready to be petted yet, you don't smell quite right, etc). It is overall really easy but that didn't bother me very much.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: September 29, 2015, 09:07:03 PM »
For whatever it's worth, as a comment from the peanut gallery that didn't play Undertale, a tsunderplane enemy sounds potentially hilarious.  But The Duck's original screenshots about skeleton fish ladies & politics was not even unfunny to me, more like "not a joke, I'm only reading it like one because I'm being told to."  About as funny dialogue as "I'm a farmer."

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: September 29, 2015, 11:34:24 PM »
I drink my own drool because my caretaker for mentally disabled adults thinks it is funny to make me do so.

EDIT: Fen: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Music/TobyFox

I don't remember exact tracks off hand but that should give you a good start
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 12:04:54 AM by Makkotah »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: September 30, 2015, 03:35:43 AM »
(Also, not that this logic ever comes up in RPGs, but even if you know who the biggest 14 badasses with a cell phone are in advance, it might still be worth some risks to have the 140 biggest badasses ready in case they fail?)

Giving it to the populace or not is not the problem itself, for the reason you mentioned. The problem is that it is out there for everyone.
Since Al already know who can handle it and who doesn't. Under this prerequisite and still give everyone the cellphone is nothing more than asking for demon outbreak.
The logical development here is that Al would take action to prevent those who can't handle it from acquiring the Nicea.

The PCs were already pretty explicit in noting the new logo & 2.0 for Nicea, but not having particularly helpful thoughts on what it meant.  Most obvious is that somebody else is in charge (despite the Ticos being the same, and still talking about His Excellency blah blah?) since the game wants to sell handing out demons to everyone as something that Saidduq would *not* do (again, despite him allegedly doing similar things as Prometheus-lite in the past), but I suppose I'll see, no need for spoilers.

Well, it seems you already fell for what the game is trying to do to misguide you.
This is an answer is too obvious so it makes you overlook it type of trick.
I'll just point this out without spoiler: the logo and the version number is pointing at two different plot points.
The logo hint was also something that was done in the Sept arc already.