Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194768 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2975 on: September 07, 2015, 07:06:49 AM »
Had a fun fight v the boss under junon, which I beat with Gordon/Rydia/Wakka/Irvine/Sazh, 3/5s of which are not in my primary party and about 10 levels lower than the rest of my team. "can't be hit by melee" made this a really interesting fight.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2976 on: September 07, 2015, 07:16:53 AM »
There's no way to intentionally lose a follower. But it will happen naturally as long as you aren't following them back. If someone else puts in your friend code or if they choose to follow you after you show up randomly on their rotation, it'll bump out the oldest follower on your list that you aren't mutually following. When you hit 100, you're "full" for about a day. Then new people can start bumping old non mutual followers.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: September 07, 2015, 07:54:13 AM »
I think the writers ran out of ideas for how to do the Fate-level 5 (=max S-Link's) events.  They are way too melodramatic.  They are all some variant on "character comes to some revelation that they are awesome despite their doubts, then goes on a demon killing spree to save someone," and them thanking Our Hero for inexplicably showing up for this to offer some bland encouragement.  Mix things up!  Daichi saves Hinako, Jungo (human) saves Jungo (cat), Keita saves Jungo (human), Makoto saves rioters while Ronaldo saves gov't agents.  Io / Joe / Airi get the best ones and they don't directly involve demon combat, so more of that, please. (I'm even missing out on the Dera-Deka sidequest...  grumble grumble).

I guess you'll like what happened in Tri-arc better than.
They mixed things up a bit more there and not as MC dependent as the Sept-arc.
Well, except Daichi, Yamato, and Al. They became even more deep end MC fanboys (when they already were) due to circumstances.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: September 07, 2015, 09:43:42 AM »
Another 11 pull. A third Diamond Armor, a second Red Jacket and 2 more Man Eaters, meaning I could boost my first one up to 6* EDIT: Never mind Sword Breakers and Man Eaters have the same goddamn thumbnail. Still, that equals another 5* Dagger so that's cool. I guess I know where my weapon materials are getting dumped into now.

Is there any point to keeping all the random 3* weapons I've been accumulating if I don't have two copies of it? Like, leveled up and synergizing with the dungeon, will a 3* be more useful than a similarly leveled 5* without synergy?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:49:32 AM by Makkotah »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: September 07, 2015, 10:02:05 AM »
From what I've seen overall a 3* with synergy is worse than a 5* without
A 3*+ is about the same
A 3*++ is better

I keep them all just in case I run into copies and I'm too lazy to figure out which ones are never going to be useful

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: September 07, 2015, 03:08:29 PM »
Never mind Sword Breakers and Man Eaters have the same goddamn thumbnail.

You should see how many 3-star Dancing Daggers there are in the game.  I'm beginning to think there's one for every game with the same thumbnail.

I've been dumping everything from I, II, and III that doesn't have a cool special effect since they're not going to have event synergy.  Then I dump stuff that is redundant with what I already have (have Zantetsuken and Enhancer, so don't need a 3-star FF6 sword, etc.).

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: September 07, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
FF3 has a lot of story dungeons left, I'd keep anything from there that's potentially better than a 5* after synergy at least. Lake Dohr is 140 difficulty on Elite and there's still more to come.

FF1 and 2 are done for story dungeons, but in JP they are getting short non-collab events right now that we'll probably actually get. The FF1 event is named, "Accessories of Light" because everything involving WoL has to be named of LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT apparantly. It also has a 140 diff Garland fight that might set a new record for RK to original game challenge ratio.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: September 07, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
Hm. Yeah, I think Captain has it right. Literally all of my 5* and 4*+ equips are FF6, so theres no real reason for me to keep any 3* things from that game.

It has become apparent this evening that now what is holding me back is lack of honed skills, and what is holding me back from that is Mid-grade Black Orbs.

Oh, look, Tuesday is Black Power Day. Well, good bye hopes of getting a 4th 11 pull. Good bye Kefka SB. At least I'll get to use you with all those wandering warriors I made sure to follow. Getting skills to pay the bills and maybe eek my way through the rest of the FF6 event areas for that second Terra level crystal is more important. I may blow whatever mythril I have left at the end of the day tomorrow so I can get everyone equipped with high level -agas.

can i stop thinking about this game yet i swear i did things other than obsess about it before I downloaded it again last week

edit: i just realized I haven't even mentioned what game i was talking about for the last several posts because there are no other games
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:11:34 PM by Makkotah »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: September 07, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »
Final Fantasy Autobattle Street - I have nothing to do on the daily and I already completed day 2 of the Forbidden Treasure trove, so I'm farming Greater Lightning Orbs for R3 Thundaja. Only six to go.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: September 07, 2015, 06:00:40 PM »
Are any of you guys "Opus" with a Selphie RW? I find it odd that someone random wants to follow my Gordon.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: September 07, 2015, 06:28:59 PM »
Since making questionable choices about what games we play is currently all the rage at RPGDL I have decided to play Super Mario Bros. 2j / Lost Levels / whatever we're calling it. I played this game briefly two decades ago and it didn't interest me much, but hey I've played all the other mainline Mario games except Sunshine (do I want to play a game often regarded as an inferior SM64, fuck no) so why not.

It is Super Mario Bros: The Romhack pretty much. Ridiculously lazy sequel, we seriously still have all the same music, 98% of the same graphics, and Toads who still say "Thank you Mario but our princess is in another castle" okay. It also seems to fix practically none of the bugs present in SMB1, and makes them matter more (e.g. the fact that SMB1 can only process one mushroom/flower/star/beanstalk on screen at once) or introduces new ones (e.g. in 3-1 you can use a springboard to jump over the flagpole... if you move to the right from there, you get stuck and have to wait for a timeout).

Like most romhacks it is also pretty hard. That's kinda fun in its own way, though the challenge can be a touch inconsistent. I'm generally fine with it but then you get random spikes like this one relatively early in the game (it's harder than it looks IMO; SMB1 physics make it so that if you jump clean onto or over the first invisible block with your running jump, that your momentum will carry you off it and into the pit). Also warp zones that take you back to previous worlds. Obviously you don't go in one of those pipes if you find them, instead you commit suicide using the pit they helpfully provide, but uhhh really game, that just amounts to trap zones. Congratulations for finding this hidden area, players!

Anyway because I enjoy Mario well enough I can't say I am not having fun a decent amount of the time anyway, and it is fun to see the occasional Mario things which actually originated in this game (such as piranha plants who come downwards out of ceiling pipes) but yeah this game remains a good lesson about how not to build a sequel. NoA made a pretty excellent decision to give us a reskinned Doki Doki Panic in its place.

Star Ocean 3 - I thought there was a dialog option to leave Roger in the cage, but I didn't get one. Oh well. Probably not going to use him anyway, just using Fayt/Cliff/Nel for now. The playthrough is kinda confirming all my old memories: the techs you have before Level 10 are bad, Cliff dominates Level 10-14 with Hammer of Might (even though you can't combo after it), and now Berserk Ice Daggers is really great (and things which mock ice tend to be weak to fire, so HoM wrecks). I still have trouble getting Side Kick to combo properly.

Fire Emblem 8 - Up to Last Hope now. Using Eirika, Ephraim, Seth, Franz, Vanessa, Tana, Lute, Saleh, Gerik, Marisa, Tethys, and Cormag primarilly, with Rennac occasionally because I let Colm die Grefter I'm sorrrryyyyy. Having fun!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: September 07, 2015, 06:36:27 PM »
You can definitely avoid finding Roger altogether (which I did first time through the game, and was retroactively pleased about this when I did find him on a replay). I could swear at some point I got an ending sequence that involved Roger still being in the cage, but maybe that is just what happens if you never find him as opposed to there being an option to leave him inside.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: September 07, 2015, 06:44:48 PM »
That would make sense. The internet and multiple people have confirmed that such an ending exists. For some reason I thought you were given a choice in that scene. The party members certainly consider leaving him there, which is fun enough.

Maybe.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: September 07, 2015, 07:24:17 PM »
Oh right, I play games too.

Final Fantasy The Autobattle And The Beast: I am somewhere in between the two Metas right now due to the abilities I've gained and my Gatcha luck giving me very little that's actually useful. (Thanks for the 3rd 5* Sword, I was really hoping to use MORE FIGHTERS). I am too far into game for Reta-Meta to be fully useful, but I have very little outside of those swords, so I'm currently running

Cloud with full damage outfit, R5 Retaliate, and the Break/Spellsword of choice for any given boss fight.
Vivi with full M. damage outfit, R2 Waterja, and either my R3 Quake or R3 -aga spell to hit weakness.
Rinoa with my M. damage scraps, R1 Firaja, R2 Thundaja. When she runs out of spell charges she starts attacking Cloud
Yuna with my Healing Rod (!!!! Only non-sword/non-Lance!), R3 Curaga, and I split Protectga/Shellga/R2 Kirin/R2 Diaga/R3 Diara/Alexander/Phoenix between her and Aerith as the situation demands. Typically Diaga/Kirin, though.
Aerith with shit that keeps her alive because I did manage to get her Keepsake Ribbon during the "ONE-TIME ONLY" draw for her event, so by the time people run out of charges, typically she's able to use Planet Protector and then everyone begins mauling Cloud so he can AA the way to frue victory. Oh, and if I have no special need one way or the other I typically give her Faith/Boost, with Boost being totally replaceable for something else if need be.

It's an odd mix trying to get through dungeons and still have enough health/medals left to beat the boss fights and get Dungeon Mastery, but oh well it just means I've actually got an RPG to play.

Oh yeah, friend code: QRtu and mine is Aerith with Planet Protector because I'm a scrub still stuck in the past/who only has one Unique Equip.

Fire Emblem: if: Been playing this through the Hoshido side, trying to look as few things up as necessary. The difficulty has definitely been ramping up much harder than I remember it ever happening in previous games, as in it's not just a spike, it is a legitimate curve and it fucking hurts. I don't know how much of the difficulty is the enemies actually having variety in skills and/or weapons and me being unable to read Japanese, and how much is the game just trying to give some real challenge.

One of the first Nice Things I noticed is that EXP gain is vastly more level-dependent than previous. If you're 5 levels above an enemy, prepare to gain maybe 3 xp from killing them. On the other hand, being underleveled means you gain a bunch. I like this, because it means that you're stuck in line with the story missions to a certain degree and can't just grind your way to victory. Unless you want to pay money or spend hours upon hours doing so, but I'm not crazy.

Won't say too much because I don't really know what's been going on in the story anyway except Bad Things, but I am definitely very excited to replay this in English when it comes out over here.

...okay, maybe I am crazy, but shh.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: September 07, 2015, 07:34:58 PM »
One of the first Nice Things I noticed is that EXP gain is vastly more level-dependent than previous. If you're 5 levels above an enemy, prepare to gain maybe 3 xp from killing them. On the other hand, being underleveled means you gain a bunch. I like this, because it means that you're stuck in line with the story missions to a certain degree and can't just grind your way to victory. Unless you want to pay money or spend hours upon hours doing so, but I'm not crazy.

Eeeh I hope they boost the prepromotes to compensate, because they lose a big advantage. And they're already a bit underused.

BTW you should maybe rename your Tyro! And give him a wonderful 30 characters quote.
And give your RW Aeris whatever that can give her mind, just to improve the duration of Planet Protector a bit.

Edit: completely fucking Seymour over with mental break, carbuncle and faith on himself never gets old
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:49:00 PM by Fenrir »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: September 07, 2015, 07:52:04 PM »
I've read more about the game than I probably should and there are a few prepromos that people are really raving about. Prepromos in general have been really good in recent games, I think. They'll always be used a little less than they "should" be because raising people is more fun to many people, and that's okay.

The change the EXP formula is super-welcome IMO because what it really punishes is trying to use a smaller group of people. In many earlier FEs, using say 3-6 PCs instead of 10-12 was incredibly OP because they gained a lot more EXP than normal and became unkillable gods. Pretty much the only reason not to do that is because it isn't as much fun as using a full party. If you constrain the EXP overlevelled people get, this strategy becomes much less effective.

Maybe.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: September 07, 2015, 08:15:54 PM »
I don't know if this is true for the class or the character, but your maid/butler is a pre-promo that gains exp at the same rate as if they were not a pre-promo of the same level.

And I'll re-name my Tyro, butI've already given her pretty much everything that boosts Mind. You seem to be confusing me for someone who actually has decent equipment to choose from. >_>

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: September 07, 2015, 08:59:24 PM »
Straight stat buffs like Planet Protector have a fixed duration. What Mind matters for are for named status effects like Protect, Shell, Reflect, Regen, etc.

Also most negative status moves (paralysis, silence, blind, etc.), with caster mind increasing duration and target mind decreasing it, although there are a few exceptions like POIZN where mind doesn't matter.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: September 07, 2015, 10:02:23 PM »
FFRK - Decided to do an 11-pull early, despite it not being phase 3 yet.

Got 9 3* things and two 5* things - a Flame Sword and a Rising Sun (FF6).

I don't even have Locke yet!

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: September 07, 2015, 10:06:32 PM »
Oh, 5* equipment. It must be nice. SO NICE. One day I, too, will partake.

What do the orange elixirs do? You'd THINK they restore ability points to your dudes, but I've had several battles where I've gotten them and then, NOPE. Abilities are still depleted.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: September 07, 2015, 10:24:42 PM »
They do restore charges, but they may restore only the charges of the abilities you haven't used?

Hinode: So SG doesn't last longer with mind but Boon does because it's (MT) Haste+Shell?

NEB: Yeah I guess. Also makes it easier to bench a character if he's RNG screwed (something that never seems to happen to me though)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2996 on: September 07, 2015, 11:23:20 PM »
FFRK:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q-7YHNFigCqzOITIY7PrXtCM7qw5Y89eTcU6cqDyR_o/edit#gid=1933251675
Why has no one posted this before? This could save a life. (Greater Orb farming locations, FINALLY I can waste my timebux efficiently!)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: September 08, 2015, 12:01:50 AM »
Final Fantasy 3 Dual Playthrough: Completed!  In the same timeframe, I finished the Crystal Tower of FF14 again so I think I'm Crystal Tower'd out...but screw it, now you are all obligated to listen to this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uObYHzgtCwc

So here are...THE THOUGHTS OF EACH PART!

-Syrcus Tower gives a very different feel in both.  The NES version is longer in terms of shear number of rooms and tiring as a result, FF3DS' just takes longer because everything in FF3DS takes longer except for characters running.  Also FF3DS' camera nonsense hits here because there's a number of forks in the road that you cannot see enough, which the NES version you could.

-Enemies, likewise, have a different feel.  FF3o's enemies aren't bad so much as clearly not scaled to take on Ninja and Sage.   It's easy in a way that makes you feel Overpowered rather than enemies feeling weak, kind of like BoF4 easy vs. BoF1 Easy.  It's only easy because of the tools you have and if you're willing to use them (which you really should, because Sage is fun!), not because enemies suck.  FF3DS, by contrast, enemies suck because they're basically pseudo-bosses that don't have anything close to remotely scary enough.  They double act, and might use some modest MT damage, but you should have plenty of healing and blitz through them; fights are annoying because they take a while, and no real way to speed them since they're Single Target, and generally status immune.  The exceptions are Ninjas and such.

-...speaking of which, a really cool thing FF3NES did that was lost in FF3DS stylistically is enemy design, namely that Ninja aspect.  FF3NES makes it clear that "Ninjas are the ultimate physical job" even as early as Fargabad where they are referenced.  You fight 2 Human Bosses in Eureka...who are both Ninjas (namely Ninja and Kunoichi) and all the human enemies in Syrcus and World of Darkness are Ninjas as well, unless you count the D. General guys who seem more like monstrous ogre things than humans.   This is actually a really neat attention to detail that I wouldn't expect out of something like an NES game, and feels like it was intentional because there's a lot of human sprites they could have used and basically avoided all of them but the Ninja-style ones, so cool job there.  Why is this lost in the DS version?  Because Ninja is no longer treated as the Ultimate Physical Job, just a generic late game one; the Ninja thing is still kept for enemies but only because enemies are kept the same between the games...

-...except for Thors.  For some reason they appear in Syrcus even though I'm certain they didn't do so until WoD in the NES version.  Could be wrong.  Not really meaningful; they're not exactly big scary enemies only noteworthy thing is MT Lightning damage (which is the easiest element to resist in the DS version and...hardest in NES version because Ribbons miss them, heh; mind you, their damage isn't high enough to really be threatening in the NES version.)

-There is on exception to the whole enemies feeling lackluster outside of HP in the DS version, and that's Dragons.  These things are tough and mean and running into one could kill you easily.  They're harder than most bosses in the game, and rare.  I wiped once to a Green Dragon because I couldn't get a run away move up.  Second playthrough, I ran into a Red Dragon, swore, managed to get a Teleport spell up last minute and escape.  NES version has Dragons in one room I believe, but they're nowhere near this hard.  I honestly hate design like this; yes, Warmech in FF1 was similar levels of bullshit.  I believe FF2 had something similar in the Iron Giant except it only appeared in an optional room that got you the game's best weapon, so yes, I am saying that FF2 of all things handled the "random super monster in final dungeon" best of the NES games...and yes, I am aware that Warmech is not the final dungeon, and technically Syrcus isn't either.

-Xande kind of sucks in both versions.  NES version, he skips every other turn and only scary move he has is Meteor, which if he casts, you use ST Cure 4 on everyone (ST it's full healing, MT it's like 550, so 2 Sages MT Cure 4ing heal about 25% HP...yes, MT Healing in FF3 NES isn't very good.)  DS version, he always acts, but sometimes wastes turns casting Protect or something, and he generally can't KO Mages in back row in one turn, so someone constantly casting Curaga/Curaja should keep you alive.

-The 5 Dragon scene is silly in both versions.  Of note, though, it's another example of FF3DS making use of the ability to have multiple characters move at once, as the 4 Old Men appear on the screen at the same time, while FF3NES, they had to come one at a time.  Similarly, you had to watch each character walk into the cloud of Darkness room one at a time in the NES version; DS version just shows them already standing there with fade aways because DRAMATIC and such.  See, this is how you do better exposition with simplistic chibis and such...making the Aria scene look all the worse (and basically half of what goes on in FF4DS.)  These two scenes are most annoying because each wipe in WoD means you have to go through the entire sequence AGAIN...

-...by the way, shock and awe, lack of save points in both versions REALLY ****ING SUCKS.  In the NES version, I had the worst RNG luck of all time repeatedly that I broke down and used save states and fast forwarding just to get back to where I wiped.  How bad was my RNG?  Xande Clone #3 back attacked me and used 2 Meteors in a row; there's pretty much no realistic way to survive that unless you have an FEOK and there's absolutely nothing you can do to prevent that; it's pure RNG.  I am a bit more lenient to the NES version because "Save Points" weren't a thing yet then, but it's still a flaw the game has and an example of it not aging well as a result, so I still hold that against it.  It's MORE frustrating in the DS version of course where they even considered putting Save Points in then said "nah."  The game really needed at very least a save prompt after Xande, but apparently polling Japanese Fans who wanted the FRUE ORIGINAL EXPERIENCE!!! was more important...even though a simple "Save Points On/Off" option in the menu would have accomplished the same thing.  I mean, FF Origins actually had a whole bunch of option toggles so you can play the game as close to the original as you want, like "Auto Retarget On/Off" and such.

-Dark Guardians are basically inverted in terms of how good they are in each version.  So here we go, in the order I fought them!

NES version, he'll murder anyone in the front row, no questions asked.  Back Row, someone might survive in the RNG Gods bless them.  The result is basically just having a lot of revival and not caring about firm HP scores; if he kills your reviver, just have both characters use resurrection and you're at worst in the same position you were before.  Since he's pure ST, this makes him one of the easier ones and failing to kill a character sometimes is a thing that happens.  DS version, he splits his physicals up and can kill a character if he focuses, and things like Crits exist so if RNG is off, he can get scary since if characters die, it can be hard to revive since he acts twice.  Generally, he's not too bad though 2nd hardest Dark Guardian in the DS version but mostly by default, you'll see why.  In the DS version, I had my Red Mage go into pure Tank Mode and he basically couldn't die.

NES version is mean and evil and unfair and WHY DID SHURIKENS DO ONLY 1000-2000 TO HIM I WASTED 4 OF THOSE THINGS GRAH!!! Yeah, you'll learn more about that hate later.  The big thing here is Meteor is unfairly cruel; if he fires that off, you could be screwed.  Quake is not as bad but still hits really hard especially if it's paired with Meteor; even with Ribbons, Quake can sting.  The entire fight is on your seat as a result.  His Elemental MT damage isn't too bad otherwise, and you might get lucky seeing him heal himself for laughably low damage, but nonetheless, he's a cruel bastard in the NES version.  DS version, he's an utter joke; his physical is laughable, his MT damage is barely scary, he will waste time healing for damage way less than what you can deal, AND he is weak to Wind, so Dragoons can tear him a new one (probably Archers too.)  The worst Dark Guardian easily in the DS version.

Echidna is Ahriman-lite in the NES version.  She can hurl Meteor on occasion and has Quake but it's not as strong.  More to the point, she uses a lot of turns casting Status after you will have at least 2 Ribbons, and doesn't have his evasion.  Her Drain at least does damage...not a lot but it's something!  DS version is basically the same but with way less damage; double acting with a basic physical doesn't make up for it.  FF3DS Status is worse for starters, her Drain actually can't break Mage Magic Defense, and I don't think she has stuff like Meteor to hit you with.  She's harder than Ahriman since at least she can hurt people not using Ribbons and her physical is better, and doesn't die horribly to Wind damage, but she's still not very good.

Cerberus spams one move in the NES version SOMETIMES using a shitty physical but the one move is a 4HKO Lightning spell you have no problems healing.  hey, it gets past ribbons!  If you have Diamond Gear, he's all the worse.  He's laughably bad in the NES version.  In the DS version, he's the best Dark Guardian by far.  Not only is his MT damage legitimately scary, and better than all the others, he triple acts, so he hits two characters for reasonable physical damage.  It's really absurd just how much better he is.  He can also sometimes ST his spells and do high damage with that which isn't much of a save when he triple acts and can easily gang up on a character.  I barely beat him in the NES version thanks to Blood Lance hax, even with my Red Mage in full on tank mode.

-And of course, the final boss time!

NES version, she spams one move and you pray turn order doesn't bite you in the ass.  The interesting thing is I use to never have problems with her since with Shurikens I could overpower her in a race to damage with Cure 4.  This is the first time the game says otherwise; Shurikens were doing really low damage for some reason, which is odd.  We're talking getting in like 2-5 hits and doing 1000-3000 damage, when I'm use to seeing more like 4-8k...and that's AFTER casting Haste in the former's case, so this was downright ridiculous how many times I had to fight her because the RNG was just that bad.  Combine that with how the first turn is so hard to figure out because you have no clue what damage will happen when, so you don't know what your Sages should do, etc.  I eventually won after a lot of swearing, resetting, etc., but good god was the RNG just painful.  DS version, it was a tense fight but beat her on the first try, since I knew some quirks about the fight, like "kill the Tentacles first" and "Protect is your friend" and such.  I did gimp myself having only 2 Arises before needing an Elixir since I was using Sage + Red Mage as a healer, but it's nice that I used the same team I did in my first playthrough WITHOUT having to alter them specifically for this fight. 

Overall, this was a neat experience and I feel like the two games are similarly good in their own right.  One thing that stands out about the DS version though is it seems to take very few attempts to actually improve upon the NES game, more goes out of it's way to be different.  Honestly, I don't think that was the right decision; they should have put more effort on banging out the issues the NES game had, but to the game's credit, it doesn't really add any serious flaws that weren't already present in the NES version.  There were also times I felt the game went out of it's way to do something because the NES version did it.  Even ignoring Save Points, an obvious glaring one to me is the existence of Black Belt, Devout and Magus.  Feels like the only reason they were kept is because "the NES version had them!" and they really didn't do much to justify their existence.  NES version, jobs obsoleting other jobs was just how that game rolled, so they made sense; here, they try to go "well, White Mage has more low level spell charges but Devout has more high level ones!" but seriously, Devout has better stats and who cares about having more Cures and Curas when you Curaga and Curaja are the spells you care about?  Black Belt is even more insulting since they made a high JSkill intensive job LATER than it originally was thereby killing any potential use it could have.  Feels like they should have ditched those three, and focused more on fine-tuning the other jobs.  Yes, I'm saying less jobs may have helped, because they artificially balanced redundant jobs, trying to pretend they all have a use even though no one in their right mind will look at Black Mage and go "yeah, that totally looks worth using over Magus late game!", where as deleting a handful of redundant Jobs and working on banging out the kinks might have made the options more interesting. 

Oh, something worth noting about the DS version is that it strangely lacks conventions that existed since the SNES games, like using L/R to scroll quickly through items and such.  There's no reason you should be forced to go through menus one at a time when FF6 and such let you scroll down by pages using buttons that existed on the DS.  NES version? Yeah, no choice, but the DS version really should have implemented at least THAT much.

Interesting experiment nonetheless.  I would consider doing it with something else, except not sure what else I'd do it with.  I mean, yes, FF4 exists but FF4DS is not something I'm really excited to replay at this point.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: September 08, 2015, 12:20:03 AM »

Hinode: So SG doesn't last longer with mind but Boon does because it's (MT) Haste+Shell?

Yes.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: September 08, 2015, 12:26:31 AM »

Which Type-0 character is this?  She hasn't joined my party yet.

@VSM:  Elixirs seem to be totally random as far as whether they work or not.  Which makes them near-worthless.