Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194709 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2650 on: August 20, 2015, 11:07:07 PM »
Some of that isn't graphics so much as a decreased willingness to accept poor translations. Can you imagine a "This guy are sick" in a contemporary release?

And HD means some things need to be changed graphically, for sure. Like, I feel like you could still have Ultros, but having him dive into water that doesn't exist would be much odder, somehow. On the other hand, I don't see why you can't just have him dart around when he wants to re-position. Octopi are FAST.

The entire Edward/Dark Elf sequence in FFIV seems like something that'd never be recreated, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work in high fidelity graphics. It's like our willingness to accept absurd has changed---but specifically in Final Fantasy. Why -can't- someone equip a Megaphone or Harp anymore? Dynasty Warriors has HD graphics and I'm pretty sure fans would REVOLT if they took away Zhenji's flute.

On the other hand, you could have an attempt to go back to the series' roots wind up in another FFIX, which is my least favorite game of the series, barring the original. So.... Ugh. I'll let the storytellers tell the stories they want and hope they decide to go -weird- for XVI, or hitherto unreleased parts of XV.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: August 20, 2015, 11:10:04 PM »
A page of people saying the whimsy in FF games is gone but FF13 Lightning Returns is literally S-E recreating Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden with a ginormous budget
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 20, 2015, 11:12:24 PM »
I hate you for making me wonder even for a split second whether LR might be worth playing, Tonfa.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: August 20, 2015, 11:29:47 PM »
I think the shift to more realistic graphics has impacted how players react to surreal moments in FF games. I'm pretty sure that stuff like the Leblanc message minigame and Chocolina would've gotten very different reactions had they occured in a game with SNES sprites. Conversely, the "M-M-M-M-MAGIC?" scene from FF6 would likely play out very differently in a game with FF13-level graphics and especially facial expressions.

I think this is the key. In old games, you could make jumping off an airship onto land be a 6 second sprite animation. In FFX, that would come off as completely absurd graphically. This becomes really noticeable replaying old games; they are in a way so barebones that the writing they use at times just wouldn't work very well in today's high budget games. It worked really well then, but it would fall flat now. Something like equipment is different since it's just a pure visual.

Early FFs had a heavy dose of sci-fi. FF 6 had Magitek, trains, genetic engineering and an airship. I think that advancing graphical technology has given them the ability to make the sci-fi more blatant and impressive. I can't say that FF9 or FF12 feel less "fantasy" than the early games in terms of overall setting.
...into the nightfall.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: August 20, 2015, 11:40:18 PM »
Early FFs had a heavy dose of sci-fi. FF 6 had Magitek, trains, genetic engineering and an airship. I think that advancing graphical technology has given them the ability to make the sci-fi more blatant and impressive. I can't say that FF9 or FF12 feel less "fantasy" than the early games in terms of overall setting.

I'll address other stuff when I have a little more time, but I just straight up blanked on 9/12 when doing numbers. I'm derp.

6 (and other FFs largely)... I realize we're getting into semantics here, but 6 was way, way more Steampunk than Sci-Fi. Where you want to draw the line between fantasy and sci-fi/sci-fantasy can obviously vary, but if we go by aesthetics (which, honestly, is where the difference tends to lie), FF6 and the like feels more fantasy while 7, 10, 13 feel more sci-fi.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: August 21, 2015, 01:29:58 AM »

Welp, that's the best 11 draw I've gotten yet. Goodbye Bard RW, it's been a good run.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: August 21, 2015, 01:37:37 AM »
Two Edincoats what the hell
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: August 21, 2015, 01:42:52 AM »
That's a Gold Armlet, not an Edincoat. Stats aren't as good, but it does have Protectga as a shared SB.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:53:18 AM by hinode »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: August 21, 2015, 01:52:32 AM »
That's pretty nice, anyway. I wish I could spare more Mythril for Aerith's event, I need to save up for the SB Celebration and Orb Festival.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: August 21, 2015, 02:29:58 AM »

I'll address other stuff when I have a little more time, but I just straight up blanked on 9/12 when doing numbers. I'm derp.

6 (and other FFs largely)... I realize we're getting into semantics here, but 6 was way, way more Steampunk than Sci-Fi. Where you want to draw the line between fantasy and sci-fi/sci-fantasy can obviously vary, but if we go by aesthetics (which, honestly, is where the difference tends to lie), FF6 and the like feels more fantasy while 7, 10, 13 feel more sci-fi.

In fairness, if you remove Midgar, FF 7 really doesn't feel that notably different than FF 6 and from what a remember, the FF 6 Empire's city was basically a bunch of tech that maybe not have really been all that different from Shinra HQ? I know FF 7 added things like broadcast signals and such that would be some differentiation. Now I would say that things like Crisis Core may have retconned exactly how technically advanced the world was.

Of course, I don't really consume anything steampunk (beyond a few hybrid fantasy/steampunk novels), so I have no idea what that truly encompasses.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: August 21, 2015, 02:57:20 AM »
FF7 has cars, motorcycles, electric power, aeroplanes, and television. It's hardly just Midgar; this extends very much to at the very least Kalm, Junon, Costa del Sol, and the Gold Saucer as well (EDIT: as well as Rocket Town and Icicle Village, and even the ninja village feels kinda like a tourist attraction for a pseudo-modern market rather than anything authentic). FF7 feels like an alternate, fantasy interpretation of our present (or at least a time close to it) while FF6 definitely feels like it's more trying to channel something from another era, maybe a bit more Industrial Revolution / Victorian to judge from things like Narshe and Jidoor. It's a pretty notable difference.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:00:42 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: August 21, 2015, 03:07:58 AM »
Ffrk

Beat the wall. Blind nerfs it bad.

Just in time for the boss rush.

"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: August 21, 2015, 03:20:58 AM »
Shovel Knight - Finished this off, boss rush was amazing, and I really enjoyed some of the alter stages. The game's plot is still a total joke and Shield Knight is bad and should feel bad, but it's a cool game. I think I will have to play HM at some point.

Devil Survivor - Just got another boring male PC, Keisuke. The party is complete, though~ Rescue missions in this game are the pits.

Deemo - I got the ending. Great game, lovely music, and beautiful art.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: August 21, 2015, 03:49:21 AM »
Final Fantasy Autobattle And Cigarettes - In the end, the Greater Orb farming day led me to five Greater Fire Orbs and one Greater Ice Orb, which frankly isn't half-bad. Depending on how Non-Elemental farming goes on Saturday, I may have Waterja R3 for Eiko's event. I also have enough orbs for Quake R4 as of now, but I'm saving the Dark Orbs for Bioga honing when it comes out.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: August 21, 2015, 04:14:57 AM »
Having just replayed FF5 and FF6 a lot of the whimsy moments are in fact stupid anime bullshit. The games just simply EDIT: AREN'T as good as we remember them on that front.  FF6 was at it's best when it was being experimental srs business (Opera scene, Celes's suicide attempt). Ultros was fine but without nostalgia goggles I wouldn't know what the big deal is. He is also decidedly anime bullshit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 06:18:04 PM by Makkotah »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2665 on: August 21, 2015, 04:16:52 AM »
FF7 has cars, motorcycles, electric power, aeroplanes, and television. It's hardly just Midgar; this extends very much to at the very least Kalm, Junon, Costa del Sol, and the Gold Saucer as well (EDIT: as well as Rocket Town and Icicle Village, and even the ninja village feels kinda like a tourist attraction for a pseudo-modern market rather than anything authentic). FF7 feels like an alternate, fantasy interpretation of our present (or at least a time close to it) while FF6 definitely feels like it's more trying to channel something from another era, maybe a bit more Industrial Revolution / Victorian to judge from things like Narshe and Jidoor. It's a pretty notable difference.

I think if you'd let technological development continue uninterrupted from FFVI (say Kefka and Geshtahl perish in a hair cutting accident), in about 30-40 years you'd probably get something that looks quite a bit like FFVII technologically.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: August 21, 2015, 07:05:37 AM »
Devil Survivor 2: Actually hold that thought.

Goofiness vs. stupidity in games: I actually quite respect games that mix in humor.  This is a GAME after all, I want to simultaneously save the world and be entertained by cute cats or whatever.  There's a lot of parts of games where *theoretically* the weird cast o' characters should really let boring professionals do the job, or otherwise take things way more seriously than they seem to be, but...  whatever.  It's just like how in crossovers, REALLY characters should probably be suffering massive crises of faith that so much of their world they knew turned out to be wrong and everything is different and OMG etc., but that's lame and repetitive, so just roll with it and move on.

And on that note...

Devil Survivor 2: Sheesh, the game takes a turn for the lame on day 4.  The setting for the first 3 days is quite grimdark, which is fine.  The apocalypse has happened, it's an explicit plot point that one of the main characters has SEEN her parents die, everybody else is - at minimum - unhinged from the world they knew and its certainties, not having seen their families and knowing that due to the disaster things like getting or growing food is a huge problem.  Let alone the fact that zillions of people are DEAD.  Even if all the rampaging demons disappeared tomorrow, life is going to be screwed up for a LONG time (the characters don't know there's probably a magic reset switch awaiting them).  To the extent that people aren't just breaking down and crying, it's amazing.  BUT, they're the heroes, so pressing forward into the game is totally fine, and even preferred.  Parcel out some melodrama but keep things moving.

Day 4 decides to amp up the comedy!  Which..  could be fine.  Except it's lame anime bullshit.  Lame hur-hur gurls r purdy bullshit, specifically.   Like.  To be clear, I'm totally fine with romance in games, and for that matter saucy flirting is okay by me too!  Shadow Hearts 2 is good times.  Just.  Day 4 is the cruddy junior high otaku "haha i can see up a girl's skirt" stuff.  Like, one thing I'd be totally okay with buying is that, it's the apocalypse, we might die tomorrow, I dun wanna die a virgin, fuck me noooooooow and hard.  Lots of emotions & hormones jangling around.  So *actual romance* would be cool by me.  For that matter something like Honeybee Manor, which, for all its silliness, is involving actual real life things - prostitutes, sex slavery (but that is secretly kinda cool in a really sleazy way because it's fiction and you can do that there), cross dressing, whatever.  Basically what I'm saying is that if DS2 had gone full on eroge that'd almost have made more sense than juvenile tittering over sneaking over to watch the girl's physicals from the doctor and spy on their conversation where they compare breast sizes to each other and get jealous.  HELLO IT IS THE APOCALYPSE WHAT IS THIS.  The whole thing rings false.  I'm reminded of one of Elf's comments on something he liked about Xenogears: that game pretty heavily implies that Fei & Elly actually get it on at some point, and at a time where it makes a certain amount of sense that hey, life is short, let's hurry this up 'cuz we might die tomorrow and enjoy things.  If you want to have people reverting to the shit in DS2, at least have them be NPCs who have gone crazy and are coping by adopting childlike behaviors or some such.  But I suppose the target audience in Japan thinks that this is all perfectly normal and also hilarious comedy so what do I know.

Seriously!  This extends outside the above scenes, too.  There's, like, an argument over a crepes stand in the mall and whether a 19 year old would fit in if it's a hangout for high-school girls.  In something like Persona 4, fine, these are normal high schoolers living mostly normal lives, this is something they'd worry about.  When said stand is probably unstaffed and all the food-making materials looted, the conversation makes no sense, at least not without bursting into tears at the end or something, so just don't do it.  Sheesh.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:08:49 AM by SnowFire »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: August 21, 2015, 12:13:10 PM »
Regarding Anime bullshit, see how fucking weird and awkward Vanille and Hope feel in FF13.  They are "anime as fuck" but the over exaggerated weird animation would slot in pretty straight to a sprite game since everything needs to be over acted by necessity.

Also Mr Thou scene legit nearly as bad as FFX laughing scene even just in text  (and both better than hatehatehatehate)
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: August 21, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
Final Fantasy Stone Temple Autobattlers - Crushed both the boss rush and the Reno/Rude fight, closing my involvement with Aerith's event. For the boss rush, the setup was mostly cheesing the hell out of the fights: three bosses can be Intimidated, almost all of them can be blinded (while being heavily physical) and you can take it from there. Intimidate only really worked on Red Dragon, but that was all it took anyway. Demon Wall didn't get blinded, but was safely blitzed with SG + Power Breakdown + Lunatic High anyway. Hilariously, my best physical damage dealer was Red XIII due to Diamond Pin's obscene L6 synergy. Why yes, I -do- want 5.5k damage Dark Busters.

Reno and Rude... well, didn't even take a single S/L. Blind landed on Reno on my second attempt (from which he never really recovered. The goggles, they do nothing), Sentinel's Grimoire went off before any of them had an opening turn and all of my Slowgas landed, so it was smooth sailing from there. Quake on Vivi and Mental Breakdown on Wakka guaranteed a fast enough fight. To make matters simpler, Reno spent the last turns of the fight spamming Pyramid instead of attacking, at a point where it just wouldn't be useful. Do keep in mind that Pyramid dispels buffs, though, so keep an eye for it if he uses it early. I'm so ready for the Eiko event. And I even honed Diaga to R2, making it my first ST offense -ja-level spell to have six uses. Now, to farm Dark Orbs.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:58:38 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: August 21, 2015, 04:38:51 PM »
Mastered boss rush, but it wasn't fun.

Nanaki had dark buster and boost, so I figured flower girl would be my paralyze applier.

Nope!

Hold sucks balls.

Not only did it never stick. It basically gave me a useless/wasted slot that could have been used as a kirinor protectga.

Blind helped a lot though. The dam wall spammed cave in which really hurt.

Onto the turks!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: August 21, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »
Hold is bugged at 1% hitrate and isn't likely to ever be fixed (it may be even an in-joke, considering how bad the spell usually is in the source games). It's pretty much the worst ability in the game. If you want to paralyze anything, you use Intimidate.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:44:54 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: August 21, 2015, 05:56:17 PM »
Too much effort to quote.

NEB pretty much nails my thoughts on something like FF6 vs FF7. Like I said, you can draw the lines differently (I'm sure plenty of people would consider FF6 way too industrial to be fantasy), but there is a definite gap between the two.

And I think some combination of Grefter and Zenny nails the rest. Some of the stuff is just a matter of nostalgia holding things up, some of it is a difference in presentation causing things to be received differently, and some of it is just straight up changes in humor/structure/etc.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: August 21, 2015, 06:20:11 PM »
Just now noticed that my post was unclear thanks to missing a word.

I posit that the whimsy bullshit VSM is remembering fondly actually sucks and is stupid anime bullshit. The tone didn't really change all that much, we just played the later games when we were old enough to be sick of that nonsense.

Side note, I also don't get the whole big deal about the wood elf stuff and only remember that because it was a dungeon with a stupid gimmick that you could completely circumvent by changing equipment mid battle.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: August 21, 2015, 07:27:51 PM »
Bravely Default is very much an old FF, except with voice acting and stuff, and it's definitely more anime BS than charming whimsy so far, and I bet it gets worse as it goes on

That PSX sound chip was complete ass at some things.
FF7 and 8 original game music is Midi as fuck.

They still managed to do great things like the boss theme.
The worst songs are the ones that abused the Irritating Fake Midi Flutes & Horns. BTW if you want to groan at my opinions, I looked up the name of the terrible track I mentioned and it's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1VYCy3HW00&list=RDs1VYCy3HW00
So bad
IIRC FF8 is even more full of this and you should basically auto-mute outside of battles

RK: Man I really don't want to farm 4* orbs.... I might just waste all my stamina waiting for events/dungeon updates in the future. This should not be TOO much of a problem right?

I went two fights in the Aeris boss rush before realizing I had brought no support character. I had no damage mitigation whatsoever aside from Boon? I still went all the way to the last fight then got atomized by Evil Wall's unmitigated unblinded MT.
Still that's some pretty easy boss rush, because that shit wouldn't have flied in the last events.

Reno & Rude was not as nice. I had Nanaki with Dark Buster and it didn't ever land. I had to retry this fight a few times and it just never worked. Maybe Nanaki's lowish level had an effect on this skill's hitrate? That would be annoying.

PROTIP: I think bringing two white mages, instead of one white mage and one support, is a good idea. Support just isn't that useful here. The white mages can share between them Curaga / Slowga / Diaga / Protectga, and all be awesome.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: August 21, 2015, 07:43:15 PM »
FFRK:  Beat the boss rush fairly easily, would have mastered it if I had Aerith.  Turks were a pretty ugly fight.  Dark Buster only hit 2/6 times, Leg Shot hit 0/6.  They killed Cloud but I rezzed him which gave me his 3 stars but took away the 3 for nobody dying.

Honed my Diaga straight to rank 3 because I could and because I'm better than Snow.