Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194736 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2275 on: July 27, 2015, 03:12:15 AM »
It could be interesting to split the magicite evenly across the cast -Umaro and allow each one to only be used once and see what sort of "classes" get built that way, but honestly that still sounds not very fun.

This is more or less exactly what the Brave New World romhack Djinn mentioned does, yeah (each character gets a list of I think 2-4 magicite they can equip, some of it overlaps).  They still have stat mods, too, so replay value comes in experimenting with different statup loadouts for the PCs.

BNW lost me when I found out that the guy went through and changed all the steal tables on non-human enemies to having nothing in them because it was more realistic this way.  Kleptomania is a way of life in Final Fantasy and fuck you for trying to change it.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2276 on: July 27, 2015, 03:51:04 AM »
Honestly though? That's one of the best changes he made. Not having to try to Steal from every enemy in the game made Stealing much less tedious. You Steal from the humanoid ones and generally get -good- things, so it's worth spending turns on it.

Final Fantasy the Prisoner of RNG:
EXP Day! I decided to level Quistis up anyway for the Edea fight, and am maxing out Squall, Selphie, PalaCecil, and Summoner while I'm at it. Speaking of Summoner, NEW DUNGEONS! Sweet now I can get Summoner's Materia and cast Valefor/Ixion all day everyday.
I keep hoping every time my Daily Login chart refreshes that it'll have another free 5* weapon on it, particularly a staff. No such luck.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: July 27, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »
FFD - Got up to Deist in Chapter 2.

Enemies in the cave up to Deist were kicking my butt, since I was trying to run a Red Mage/Thief/Black Mage/Summoner team - there's just too many encounters in there that sap up MP use.  Every save spot I found was more along the lines of "Oh god I can use a Tent again."

Still haven't spent any of the JP I was given at the start of the chapter, since I have no idea what I should be spending it on for a first run.

I can already tell that magic's the way to go this early on for power, and Silence/Frog/Mini has seen considerable use in the end of chapter 1.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: July 27, 2015, 12:01:20 PM »
Final Fantasy The House Of Autobattle - SPHERIMORPH IN SPRITE FORM YEEEEEEESSSSSS

Oh, I guess I also honed Quake to R3 after beating Sinspawn Gui's Elite dungeon.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2279 on: July 27, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »
Re: FFD
Well, you definitely want to get those Red Mage levels out of the way as early as possible for Chain Magic/Spellblade, while it's still semi-usable. You should probably consider a melee character. Fighter is always good, but doesn't synergize all that well later on. Monk isn't great, but it has a decent skillset and maxing it out is the key to the two big Fusion Abilities lategame, so you might want to try getting those levels out of the way early on while it's still useful. Thief sucks, you can probably safely ignore Thief the whole game and then just level one up towards the endgame to help with the rare item steals. The only thing Thief even offers is SPD+, which you can certainly aim for, but if you're having trouble, then you probably wanna use the Thief's slot to use a stronger Job to help clear the immediate threats rather than prepping for the long run.
In Ch. 2 Summoner is probably hitting its midgame slump, might be time to switch to White Mage (or a second Red Mage if you're planning to use the Summoner long term you're gonna want Chain Magic.) Notably, the Dark Warriors get a really good F-Ability with Shiva and Black Magic, so if you've got a higher-level Black Mage/Summoner there, you might want to prep for that F-Ability, it basically destroys Ch3/4 mobs that aren't ice-immune. This also means that you of course don't want to miss Shiva...

So... I guess I'd recommend Red Mage, Monk, Red Mage (sub BLM), White Mage (sub SUM)? If that's too much magic-focus for you, change out White/Sum for Ranger or Red Mage for Dragoon (depending on Dark/Light chapters).

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: July 27, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Final Fantasy 3: So I beat Saronia Catacombs, found a hidden area in the DS version, saw it gave a bunch of Elixirs and Phoenix Downs, proceeded to load up the NES version specifically to get those!  I might be slightly overleveled in the NES version as a result, but I'm pretty sure bee-lining half a dungeon shouldn't make a big deal.  This has been a useless comment, so onto the useful stuff!

-DS version gimped Doga's basement significantly...and I'm fine with that.  It's a filler dungeon with the annoying Mini gimmick, albeit after Geomancers showed up so you have unlimited reasonable offense in both versions, well after that gimmick has over-stayed it's welcome.  Thanfully this is the last time.  NES version I probably made it harder on myself using Conjurer since the lower MP vs. Black Mage is really felt here, though again, Geomancers exist, so you use a few of those.  Also NES version loved back attacks.

At this point, 3 possible dungeons to go to; to keep things fair, I tackle them in the same order in both versions.  Sunken Cave -> Temple of Time -> Saronia Catacombs.

-...poor life decision in the NES version.  The Sunken Cave stands out as a dungeon that the game NEVER tells you about, you just kind of have to stumble upon.  Everything else has some hint, whether it's people in Saronia talking about a hidden passage to Odin, seeing a large ominous lake in the distance over impassable terrain, etc.  In any event, the NES version, this dungeon is the hardest of the 3, probably intentionally so.  Something I noticed is the Ambush and Back Attack rate is stupid high here, which I believe is something that Level helps prevent, suggesting that I tackled this dungeon too early.  The enemies, while do-able, are clearly stronger than the other dungeons, the rewards are much better, etc.  I believe the intent was they wanted you to do Temple of Time first, because the game spells out where it is, and then later you're suppose to go "hey, wonder what else is down here?" and find the Sunken Cave.   Cannot say the same about the DS version, though the rewards relative to other dungeons didn't change (Air Knife is stupid amazing for Thief.)   This dungeon is clearly easier than Temple of Time (not sure about the Catacombs), and offers rewards that help a lot there, like Reflect Mail for Fighters, Diamond gear, weapon upgrades, etc.

-Just going to note that rewards in both games for Sunken Cave are pretty stellar, and it's worth doing regardless.  In fact, a key thing about the DS version is they buffed the Ancient sword a lot to be "just weaker than Defender", which makes Knights and Warriors way better, as that + the Defender Sword in the Temple of Time means they now have two reasonably powered weapons.  Granted, Warrior wasn't TOO gimped since Axes exist, but generally prefers Swords due to weight issues.  I guess I should note the NES version gives you the Blood Lance here, which is fantastic.

-Temple of Time is kind of lol-worthy in the NES version but probably because I just did a much harder dungeon before it.  If I didn't, it'd probably be unremarkable still, since enemies just aren't scary.  DS version?  Ok, enemies are clearly frailer than the Sunken Cave, but the offense is way higher.  Chimera's Lightning is a dick move, doing high 2HKO damage to any Fighter w/out Diamond Gear, and 3HKO damage to mages without Diamond Bracers, and you can be ambushed by 3 in a single fight.  I thought those were just an anomaly...until I fought an enemy who cast Blizzaga on the party doing similar damage, and this is an element that can only be resisted by Armored units using a weak armor (Flame Mail); Sunken Cave's best attack is an enemy casting Blizzara for half that damage.  Behemoths are in both but in NES version, they're shrugworthy, DS version, they're pseudo-bosses.  A Pseudo-boss is something that appears pretty frequently in FF3DS determined by their solo appearance, high HP, and dual acting like bosses.  Behemoth's Physical focused on a PC can kill them if they aren't a higher defensive unit; a Reflect Armor using Dragoon may not suffice.

Overall, I think the NES version definitely did it better.  While the Sunken cave is a dick, it's at least optional and rewards you.  The mindset probably was to scare people off with the powerful randoms who were un-prepared, as a "come back here when you're stronger!" means.  This is not an uncommon tactic used in older RPGs, after all.  Also, Sunken Cave is 100% optional, Temple of Time is required.  Scaling one dungeon around the fact that someone MIGHT go to this other dungeon that has no reference whatsoever first as opposed to continuing the plot is poor design; by contrast, FF3 NES assumes Temple of Time is being taken by those who just left Doga's Mansion.  I'd rather a dungeon be too easy because you did a side-quest earlier than they intended rather than a dungeon being too hard because they wanted to factor in those who did those side quests.  Side-quests should be the harder dungeons, IMO, because they're optional.  The point of them is rewarding you for taking the time to do them, not punish you for not realizing they exist.

-Saronia Catacombs...is uneventful.  No, seriously, the enemies here are bland and easily killed, not much else to say.  You could do this dungeon before Temple of Time in the DS version and get a lot of worthwhile rewards (there's a Reflect Mail and some Diamond gear here) and the dungeon is at least acknowledged, but I still don't think it's right to assume people find this dungeon before Temple of Time.

-Odin is way better in the NES version.  A critical by him, which is more common than you think, can completely destroy a Viking, let alone a lesser armored unit, and Atom Edge is reasonable MT damage.  Odin in the DS version is pretty much a large sack of health that hits twice for reasonable damage, who is only scary if he focuses those hits. 

-I did steal Gungnir from Odin in the DS version, but I had to grind for about 30 minutes to get JLevels up for Refia (other 3 were killed off, so no benefit.)  Thief Refia has been kind of broken since I got Air Knife; I saw her hit the 9999 damage display cap, albeit that was a Critical vs. an enemy weak to Wind.  The massive JLevels for the Catacombs made that laughable too though i should note the JLevels didn't have an impact here, Saronia Catacombs are just not very good.  This also affirms that yes, you definitely need grinding to get Gungnir, which hurts Dragoon's use.  I'll probably stop using Thief since the last Locked Door segment is finished, and with the amount of JLevels, it feels unfair, though Thief also lacks any equipment upgrades until the final dungeon too, so using one despite it's damage can be a liability.  Thinking of going Viking until Dark Knight gear shows up.

-Conjurer > Evoker.  While Evoker does more damage on the damage summons, Conjurer in most cases does "enough" that it could one shot enemies, and Shiva/Ramuh are just so much better since their MT status' are extremely good while in FF3DS, I saw Mindblast hit like twice on one enemy, and Mesermize missed every-turn.  basically, Conjurer is reliable because you know you're getting something good out of them, Evoker is 50% chance of deceny.  To Evoker's credit, it definitely has the better Ifrit, due to the healing being exceptional, while the NES version's Healing is a huge pile of Meh.  Then again, that's FF3NES vs. DS in a nutshell right there: FF3NES' status >>>> FF3DS' status, but FF3DS Healing >> FF3NES healing.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: July 27, 2015, 03:34:33 PM »
SMT4 (No fusion, agi/luck only) : Minotaur is a total roadblock. Tons of HP and damage, even after 3 Rakukaja, and nobody has phys res here.

I really like how you get app points every level and can buy new apps, which only help indirectly. I focused on Fundraiser to get money from demons (because this game is very stingy with money), and demon slots.
I also just got another one that lets me talk to unintelligible demons, because I figured maybe one of these demons would have access to better buffs, but so far it's not happening. God damn it.
I really need some Suku against Minotaur plz
Edit: One of those unintelligible demons gave me Sukukaja, plan went perfectly. I beat Minotaur on the very last action the team could do before being wiped out. 6 demons + the MC died in the battle.

RK: I've used Armor Breakdown against Edea and it wasn't much better than Armor Break. Damage went from 8000 with Armor Break to 8500 with Armor Breakdown? For now I suggest giving your support dude magic/power breakdown and sticking to armor break / mental break on your combat dude.
2 FF8 five stars swords trivialized the event, Cloud and Squall were competing to see who has the biggest sword. I ended both boss rush and Edea fight with a ton of charges left.
I'll actually probably do a pull in the FF13 banner because I have no good FF13 weapon and still no gun.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:13:35 PM by Fenrir »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2282 on: July 27, 2015, 05:02:35 PM »
Honestly though? That's one of the best changes he made. Not having to try to Steal from every enemy in the game made Stealing much less tedious. You Steal from the humanoid ones and generally get -good- things, so it's worth spending turns on it.

"Having to?" This isn't FF9.  You're talking about it like it's something you spend multiple turns on at the beginning of every fight while everyone else plays with their dick.  If his goal was less tedium, emphasizing buffs more in fights undercuts that far more, since that's multiple turns from multiple characters at the beginning of fights and it's far less optional in boss fights than stealing is. 

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: July 27, 2015, 05:03:49 PM »
Looking at the FF13 banner, there's only -one- equip there I wouldn't ever want (and all the others I want kinda bad), so it totally warrants an 11-pull from me. Doesn't hurt that the upcoming Super Figaro Bros. banner is really bad and the Tifa reissue one doesn't sound at all promising either.

Also, Fenny, regarding Minotaur, he's a complete doozy. I'll be honest, Sukukaja did -not- help me there, I ended up packing more Bufu spam and Tarunda against him and won mostly by virtue of luck (smirking boosts your evade more significantly than only using Sukukaja or Sukunda. You really need to stack up -both- to make his accuracy problems significant and I don't even know how viable that is at that point). Minotaur also marks pretty much the absolute apex of SMT4 difficulty. From there, the gamebreaking tools start slowly lining up towards you and you know what that entails in SMT.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: July 27, 2015, 05:24:41 PM »

"Having to?" This isn't FF9.  You're talking about it like it's something you spend multiple turns on at the beginning of every fight while everyone else plays with their dick.  If his goal was less tedium, emphasizing buffs more in fights undercuts that far more, since that's multiple turns from multiple characters at the beginning of fights and it's far less optional in boss fights than stealing is.

I don't know where you get this "Steal from everything" mentality in FF9; I'll avoid going into specifics, but I'll just say FF12 is more the example of what you want, seeing as Stealing is basically your main source of funds and materials for a large part of the game.

ON THE OTHERHAND, I agree with the rest of your statement.  If you have a skill like Steal, there should be things to steal on a regular basis.  It's there to reward people who for willing to sacrifice a turn in order to beef their inventory up, or alternatively, those who have a well built team that sacrificing the action isn't a big deal.  It's why games with low steal rates are dumb.  In fact, applying "realism" as your excuse to any mechanic I feel is dumb unless there's a damn good reason for it; rarely does being realistic actually enhance the experience unless the point of the game is for a strong sense of immersion. 

Yes, Slam Dancers shouldn't have Level 2 Magic in Zozo because that spits in the face of FF6's plot...but for the sake of making enemies more interesting, gameplay variety, etc., we can overlook this because that's just how these things work.  It's nice when gameplay and plot are integrated (Galuf's Death in FF5 is one of the best examples of this), but often it needs to be sacrificed.  Yes, it's unrealistic that a random monster has a sword or armor on them, but then it's unrealistic that an island resort place like Mideel would have far superior gear than the Urban, Heavily Shinra Run area that is Junon.  Why would Black Mages in the Black Mage village have any kind of gear other than stuff that Vivi can equip?  Why does Mysidia sell stuff that only a Paladin can equip when the game establishes that there have been no successful Paladins until Cecil?  Speaking of FF4, why does Kain have more White Magic than Cecil when Cecil's been using it for 17 years, and Kain just learned it on the spot (Ceodore had two white magic using parents, one of whom specialized in it, so makes sense he's better than his father)?  How can a character like Wakka or Tidus hope to have strength close to someone like Auron who wields a huge Katana, been fighting for over 10 years, and regarded as a legend?

All these questions can easily be answered with "because Gameplay happened" and we just move on.  Stealing being unrealistic and allowing for real rewards?  That falls under that. 

The best way to handle steal is to make the rewards interesting, but also skippable.  That way, you reward the person who bothers with it, while not punishing those who don't use it.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: July 27, 2015, 05:50:45 PM »
Final Fantasy BBC Radiophonic Autobattle - Busting down the new dungeon batch, just unlocked Macalania Temple Elite in order to pick up Summoner's Memory Crystal. Getting Summoning Spring II is completely going to suck, though: it's one of those random grinding Record Materias. Well, might as well grind for Josef's RM2 and random Greater Orbs while at it or something.

EDIT: Holy crap, Kimahri's PC sprite is a fucking mess.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:54:06 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: July 27, 2015, 06:10:38 PM »
Looking at the FF13 banner, there's only -one- equip there I wouldn't ever want (and all the others I want kinda bad), so it totally warrants an 11-pull from me. Doesn't hurt that the upcoming Super Figaro Bros. banner is really bad and the Tifa reissue one doesn't sound at all promising either.

Also, Fenny, regarding Minotaur, he's a complete doozy. I'll be honest, Sukukaja did -not- help me there, I ended up packing more Bufu spam and Tarunda against him and won mostly by virtue of luck (smirking boosts your evade more significantly than only using Sukukaja or Sukunda. You really need to stack up -both- to make his accuracy problems significant and I don't even know how viable that is at that point). Minotaur also marks pretty much the absolute apex of SMT4 difficulty. From there, the gamebreaking tools start slowly lining up towards you and you know what that entails in SMT.

Oh, I edited my post. Sukukaja actually helped me win that fight (barely)

My Flynn has around 25 agi and 50 luck so that must have also helped. He dodged Oni-Kagura three times (!), including a charged one that'd have been complete overkill. I also had 3 Rakukajas/3 Rakundas on.

Minotaur is pretty much SMT4's Matador, huh. I think the difficulty will stay relatively high because I won't be able to transfer OP skills to new demons (no fusion rule) and Flynn will stay as pure support with no damage since he has base str/dex/mag.

I do like that demon revival is now cost-free, because I'm spending pretty much every difficult battle chain-summoning demons to replace the other ones who just died. In a total panic. This would have been an insanely costly strategy in Nocturne.

RK: Is Kimahri the worst character in the game excluding cores? I'm thinking yes
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:16:23 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: July 27, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »
Oh god, I'm trying to think of someone worse than Kimahri outside the cores and seriously blanking. Specializing in DRAGOON, with 3* BLACK MAGIC and Support secondaries, and -zero- Combat? No Memory Crystal? Not even an SB weapon? Sub-Wakka stat spread? Hooooooly crap, guys.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: July 27, 2015, 06:32:55 PM »
Gordon's definitely better despite the abmysal stats, since he's the only one outside Tyro who has a support/white mage niche, which can definitely be handy.

Cyan vs Kimahri is close, but I think Cyan is better, he has a lot more attack (that's just sad) and more HP/def. Combat 5 is also probably better than Dragoon 5 and Support 3/ Black Magic 3 with no rods.
For what it's worth, Cyan also has Samurai 5. It's worth nothing because no one ever is going to turn Cyan into their retaliator.

Kihmari does have access to spears, which are more common than katanas.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: July 27, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
Cyan having access to a Memory Crystal -definitely- ekes him ahead of Kimahri in my eyes. I'd honestly say Reta-meta is a more relevant point than you make it sound at this level of slapfesting, but your mileage may vary, since nobody with a katana ever would use Cyan instead of Sephiroth if the idea is Retaliating. Hell, if you -don't- have Katanas, you might be better off using Loserface Tyro as a Retaliator depending on your weapon load.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: July 27, 2015, 07:24:01 PM »
I meant that, if you use Retaliate, the retaliator becomes the most important member of your team, and that better not be fucking Cyan

Anyway, the Tower of Babil level needs Jump, Holy, Water, Ice, Thunder for the mastery. A crapton of mastery conditions, including Jump.
This is it: The one dungeon in which Kimahri's access to Dragoon 5 and BM 3 could shine

Here are your options:

1) Use Kimahri with Jump/Blizzaga. You only need one WM, one BM/spellblade to meet the mastery reqs, so you can use two other characters of your choosing.
The downside is that Kimahri will do next to no damage with Blizzaga and mediocre damage with Jump.

2) Use Kain. You then need one WM, two BM/spellblades, and then one character of your choosing.
Kain has record synergy, does way more damage than Kimahri with jump, and can use some combat skills... Not to mention the likely massive level advantage

3) Use Loser with Jump + Blizzaga/ja.
You can give him a rod and put him in the back row, he'll do more damage than Kimahri and have more durability

Both Loser and Kain can break the level cap and get a materia while Kim can't
God damn it Kim, you had one job and you're still the worst
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:20:28 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: July 27, 2015, 07:29:55 PM »
Move over, Cyan, Kimahri is the new worst. Maybe he'll become less horrifically pointless when Auron's event sweeps in.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2292 on: July 27, 2015, 07:56:46 PM »
RK: They're sitting on Kimahri's REAL potential until they reveal the new and overpowered Blue Magic skillset! ...maybe. I mean, they've had Blue Magic tags coded into the game since the beginning, but we're coming up on a year or so of gamelife in Japan and they STILL haven't unveiled the Blue Magic skillset so maybe it's just a relic of coding that was dummied out?

But if it exists, Kimahri will TOTALLY be awesome! (And likely competing with Strago/Quistis/Quina for a niche, which might actually make him worth something as he's definitely the most physically-oriented of the bunch... for all that would matter for a Blue Mage...)

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: July 27, 2015, 08:05:19 PM »
Kimahri would need rods added to be any good w/ blue magic even if it's implemented. Only spear that boosts magic meaningfully is GORDON'S, which is so crappy that nobody complained about DeNA skipping it entirely for global.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: July 27, 2015, 08:30:49 PM »
Hey you don't need good magic for Mighty Guard !
Jump + Mighty Guard setup = Pretty good!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: July 27, 2015, 08:36:30 PM »
From what I hear, they still want to implement Blue Magic, but haven't found a proper way to do so yet. I'm honestly not sure it'd help all that much, most Blue Magic we've seen in the game is pretty generic.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: July 27, 2015, 11:52:26 PM »
FFRK:  Beat Selphie Boss Rush.  Seifer was a dick (surprise!) and killed Sephiroth right before he himself died, knocking 4 stars off my total.  Yet somehow I still got Mastery, so yay.  Not trying Edea until I finish leveling Quistis (49 atm) and make a Carbuncle, which I am one orb short on.

Got Selphie's 5-star weapon today, so she gets to be my new healer.  It's a rod, but the Mind stat is as good as the 5-star Judgement Staff that I have and has a lot more magic and attack.  She still doesn't have an amazing magic stat but it's respectable enough that you could stick an -aga on her without feeling you wasted a slot.  Don't see any point in Celerity 3 because Leg Shot is lame.  Her Soul Break is a multi-target Cura, not Curaga.  But I'll take it, this game needs MT healing so bad.

Think I'll keep Quistis as well because Black 4 and Support 4 are both good and she actually has a soul break that does something unlike Vivi.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: July 28, 2015, 12:15:25 AM »
Focus is a pretty ridiculous MAG boost. It's actually one of the best default SBs for offensive magic. It lasts a short time, but that time has him dealing -ja-level damage with -ga spells.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: July 28, 2015, 01:48:15 AM »
I meant that, if you use Retaliate, the retaliator becomes the most important member of your team, and that better not be fucking Cyan

The funny part is that I think Retaliate was inspired in part by Cyan's Retort skill (though the jp names are different, iirc) that you use maybe once or twice in FF6. Record Keeper's spiritual successor turned out to be an uberskill, but one that almost no one actually uses on Cyan in favor of two non-Samurai from FF7 who semi-randomly get Samurai skills. Well okay, Seph is famous for wielding a katana but otherwise isn't really a Samurai, and Cloud getting Sam 3 was just totally random. Unless DeNA secretly did intentionally make Retaliate uber just to make everyone use Cloud even more than they already would otherwise.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: July 28, 2015, 02:39:27 AM »
Final Fantasy Autobattles For The Deaf - Grinding Summoner's RM2 along with Josef's. Life is suffering.

FF5 - I did pretty much everything optional I could. Fork Tower, check. Istory Falls, check. Phoenix Tower, check. Bahamut, check. All that is left is the Rift. One thing I'm wondering is how would I go dealing with Omega through this party. I remember Elfboy pointing out Calm'd allow me to stall Omega to a degree, but I'm not sure how would the strategy effectively go. Slowly plinking it down while three people Calmspam? Or what? The only time I bothered with Omega involved utterly simplistic Rapidfire dualwield Thundaga Sword, so I never really -learned- Omega at all.