Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194806 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2250 on: July 25, 2015, 02:24:06 AM »
Final Fantasy and the Sorceror's RNG: Finished getting all the secondary Record Materia on my Level-broken PCs. Garnet's and Josef's took literal -days- worth of stamina, which puts me behind everyone else. I haven't even beaten the last SeeD fight yet. Flipside, Garnet's RM2 is awesome for autobattling. Just stick it on a mage and now they're contributing mild healing throughout all the trash mobs, and they can still do something helpful if they run out of magic charges in bosses. It's great. It even auto-targets the lowest-health PC like a regular healing spell. Josef's double attack RM2 is helping the Reta-Meta a lot too, so I'm gonna start taking on the 90+ regular Elite dungeons soon. Got up to 111 stamina, and honed all my Agas to R4, with Diara and the Ara Strikes at R3. Quake and my Breakdowns are only at R2, though roughly half my Breaks are R4, but at least R3. Other skills actually seeing some use? Ramuh/Kirin at R2, Leg Shot R3, and Protectga~

I'm considering forging Wrath to help Tidus get his Soul Break even MORE often so that he can keep being essentially my only source of damage... but MORE often!
(Seriously, I hope I get a 5* Staff or Rod before this "Mage Meta" kicks in because even Vivi isn't outdamaging my 5* Sword wielders, even with element-boosting 4* Rods unless he's got Record Synergy.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:26:33 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: July 25, 2015, 02:34:33 AM »
Yeah my Vivi semi-sucks as well, just don't have anything to replace him with.  Nice to know how Garnet's RM works, I might go ahead and farm that.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: July 25, 2015, 02:38:36 AM »
(a) Wrath is a 4* ability, Tidus can't use it.

(b) It takes three uses of Wrath to get one bar of soul break gauge. That's pretty lame for a 4* ability.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2253 on: July 25, 2015, 02:42:02 AM »
Well damn, dodged that bullet. Thanks hinode :D

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: July 25, 2015, 03:22:28 AM »
If you make sure to get Big Guard before Exdeath it'll probably never be much of an issue.

I have it already, so uh yeah. Goodbye, FF5, I hardly knew ye.

Final Fantasy Spleen And Autobattle - I'm currently doing the Selphie/Quistis boss rush, currently on the big train (I REFUSE to figure out the alphabetical mess that is the name of that boss) and abusing the flee/Concentration and Mana Spring synergy for maximum smash. I'll likely have three Soul Break gauges for Seifer, which means Vivi will rip nearly half his health in three swings, hooray poison weakness. I even came with a seriously suboptimal setup (lol R3 Curaga on Yuna, lol no Magic Breakdown, lol Mental Break), but eh.

Also, Djinn: if you're seriously killing for mage weapons, the nearest mage-heavy banner coming up is the Golbez/Tellah one, which should come up after the Rinoa reissue. It's a while away, though, and the second SB celebration should kick in right after it too.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2255 on: July 25, 2015, 05:59:29 AM »
Bravely Default: Ominas Crowe was really rough! (on hard) I had to fully use Brave & especially Default even though it's just the beginning of the game.
Also, wow @ that music. Is that SSH? That was way too intense for that fight (not that I mind)

Revo, actually!  It gets more obvious when you start finding the vocals.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: July 25, 2015, 08:04:19 AM »
FF5 - Ex-Death died.  No idea what the boosted level was. It was quite high.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: July 25, 2015, 09:36:27 AM »
Bravely Default: Ominas Crowe was really rough! (on hard) I had to fully use Brave & especially Default even though it's just the beginning of the game.
Also, wow @ that music. Is that SSH? That was way too intense for that fight (not that I mind)

Revo, actually!  It gets more obvious when you start finding the vocals.

I googled that name and only found pictures of cars + an androgynous japanese vampire.
I'm assuming Revo's the latter

Final Fantasy and the Sorceror's RNG: Finished getting all the secondary Record Materia on my Level-broken PCs. Garnet's and Josef's took literal -days- worth of stamina, which puts me behind everyone else. I haven't even beaten the last SeeD fight yet. Flipside, Garnet's RM2 is awesome for autobattling. Just stick it on a mage and now they're contributing mild healing throughout all the trash mobs, and they can still do something helpful if they run out of magic charges in bosses. It's great. It even auto-targets the lowest-health PC like a regular healing spell. Josef's double attack RM2 is helping the Reta-Meta a lot too, so I'm gonna start taking on the 90+ regular Elite dungeons soon. Got up to 111 stamina, and honed all my Agas to R4, with Diara and the Ara Strikes at R3. Quake and my Breakdowns are only at R2, though roughly half my Breaks are R4, but at least R3. Other skills actually seeing some use? Ramuh/Kirin at R2, Leg Shot R3, and Protectga~

I'm considering forging Wrath to help Tidus get his Soul Break even MORE often so that he can keep being essentially my only source of damage... but MORE often!
(Seriously, I hope I get a 5* Staff or Rod before this "Mage Meta" kicks in because even Vivi isn't outdamaging my 5* Sword wielders, even with element-boosting 4* Rods unless he's got Record Synergy.)

That materia quite good if you run two white mages.

I'm not sure about the autobattle use though. If you autobattle you often don't really need healing. And auto is not really an option at that point anymore. At 111 stamina, you can't just use physical attacks against mobs anymore. Elite dailies are also a bit too dangerous for low level characters to autobattle through.

Using Break on Tiamat is the best moment in the game so far

The answer to Riovanes roof if you don't have a good ninja is pretty much always naked strategy: remove all HP-boosting equips from one party member to hopefully bait the assassins into targetting him/her instead. Sometimes double naked is necessary to bait'em both.
What do you do when you have two less bards and have to get Celia/Lede/Elmdor to critical HP with three bards? Reset until Rafa gets 4 hits on the same target?

Edit: Ahahahahah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AExBHGp1Npo
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:29:19 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: July 25, 2015, 12:12:51 PM »
Final Fantasy For We Are The King Of The Autobattle - Mastered the Selquis event. Big bad train is scary and OHKOs your backrow characters sans damage mitigation! Too bad it's 100% physical and 100% Blind-vulnerable. Still a good idea to apply mitigation as needed, though. Leaving Edea for a time -after- running Quistis through the Sunday daily, though.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: July 25, 2015, 12:21:22 PM »
Revo's band is Linked Horizon? They did a virally popular anime opening I think. Bravely Default soundtrack is great though. Could have used more tracks I suppose.

Arc The Lad 2: replaying for stat topic purposes.

FUN FACT: Equipping a magic Apple automatically gives 1 charge (but no higher) This is +75% damage AND makes the PCs attack ITE. Wtf.

Baiting enemies and then killing them with AoE magic is still a very efficient way of handling business though. And Invincible is still the best way to bait enemies.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: July 25, 2015, 01:45:55 PM »
Final Fantasy When My Boy Autobattles Down The Street - *Edea fight.* *Blizzaga OHKOs a L50 Selphie under Realm Synergy.* Ow ow ow ow ow no god why
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:00:46 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: July 25, 2015, 02:20:57 PM »
FF6 - Cactaur get. I'm not entirely sure how you're supposed to get around the death counter; Reraise doesn't guarantee success, and you can't Libra to check Gigantaur's HP so it's hard to line up something like Jump to make sure one person lives. Perhaps coming in with someone having Birdicite equipped and having everyone jump when he's at low health, and hoping for the best? Ah well, in any case I won so whatever.

I decide that I'm not gonna bother getting more powerful equipment before the final dungeon, it should be easy enough as is. I probably will before the Dragon's Den, though (if I even play that, I'm starting to get pretty tired of the game). Anyway, onto Kefka's Tower.

I split my main party into two with scrubs and have my semicompetents form a party by themselves. I realize my semicompetents don't have anyone who can cast Ultima, but that is completely unnecessary, and besides Magic Urn Gau is on that team so whatever. I look up what parties have the earliest opportunities to off the last dragon bosses and start with Party 2. Holy shit Gogo's stats suck. I knew this from old DL arguments, but this is the first time I've played that I bothered to check. Goddamn how terrible. Good thing being a heal battery / Tools / Blitz doesn't really need good stats but jeeze.

Gold Dragon goes down to 2 quick + Ultima rounds. Silly.

And then out of nowhere, I almost get wiped out by 2 Ninjas + Caster, didn't catch their names, since they countered everything. Whoadang. Tricky.

Switch to party three (Celes/Strago/Locke/Mog), no problems, destroy skull dragon. Get Crusader. Not to complain about being overpowered, but really since you can't get it until about halfway through the game's last dungeon, this really should have been the magicite to teach Ultima. Like, then you'd actually have to think about which spells to cast to maximize damage up until this point.  On that note, I have had the Cursed Shield equipped since I got the bloody thing, and always had someone in my active party using it. Jesus what a stupid secret. You must really have to grind to get this thing, and by that time you've probably already got Aegis/Gengi/Elemental Shields and Ragnarok. I guess you could have taken the Sword like a dumbass instead, so this would be your only way to Unlock Ultima afterwards? But jeeze at that point you may as well just restart the game. It'll probably take you less time. Stupid stupid dumb.

Back to Party 1 (Edgar/Sabin/Shadow/Gau). I find out the Minerva isn't effected by the Merit Award, and my new dream of Sexy Edgar is dashed before I even knew I had it. :(  Things go relatively smoothly. Gau aside, they're all characters who are fine right out of the box, and Gau only needs a little bit of knowledge about which Rages to get. Nobody has Ultima so I throw Crusader on to get Meteor. Things go smoothly until L5 Death wipes out my whole party in one go. -_- Great. Retry with some Safety Bits/Memento Rings and yeah. Fortunately, this game has good save point placement and (especially with frameskip) I'm back to where I was in only 5 minutes or so.

Fighting with this party is actually pretty interesting, since I have to rely heavily on status to get anything done. I probably said it before, but for some reason I was under the impression that status sucked in this game when I was a kid; it definitely does not. Berserk, Confuse, Stop, and ID in particular all have been consistently useful throughout the game, until the point where it was just easier to blow things up and frameskip.

Beat Demon, meh not hard.  Beat Fiend, was a bit more challenging since it was my Shadow/Edgar team. On this fight, though, I finally get the Paladin's Shield, so yay? Whatever. So without grinding, you basically have to have the thing on from as soon as you can get it until the end of the game. Dumb.

So, Kefka. 62000 HP. That's a little over 6 castings of Ultima. I wanna try something. I throw on a Soul of Thamasa and Gold Hairpin on Terra, then Who Gives a Shit.  Unfortunately, I couldn't kill him before he got a turn because Dualcast takes forever. However, Terra did get off 5 ultimas in one turn for all intents and purposes, and that was neat. Celes had to pick up the slack and cast it twice more. :( 

Ending was the ending.

So yeah that definitely scratched a nostalgia itch. While I enjoyed it a lot now, I have the feeling that if it was my first time playing the game I'd have a much less high opinion of it. Lots of parts have not aged very well. For one, the character writing is a lot weaker than I recalled. Two, the dungeon design is really shitty in the last half of the game, and this shittiness shines through in Ebot's Rock, Odin's Castle, and the Fanatic's Tower. The last dungeon is fine, actually, but there's a lot of dungeons that are just a chore to explore. The cave to Odin's Castle in particular had an obnoxious combination of low view distance, sprites overlaid on places you can walk that make it look like there are walls where there aren't any, and overall labyrinthine feel to it.

The combat is actually pretty enjoyable if you take away Ultima, though there is definitely something to be said for being able to stamp everything under your boot with little to no effort. While having such a large cast was interesting for character work, as far as combat goes I can't say I'm terribly fond of the FF6-7-8-12 Philosophy of "every character can access every skill at once." Class systems are just way more interesting, and I am not terribly surprised that interest in FF5 is surging again with the Fiesta challenges. It could be interesting to split the magicite evenly across the cast -Umaro and allow each one to only be used once and see what sort of "classes" get built that way, but honestly that still sounds not very fun.

Though, there's one area it still shines just as much as it did back during the SNES days - Graphics and Sound. The OST is just really enjoyable to listen to, and there's a reason FF:RK sprites are all in the style of FF6 instead of adapting from FF4 or 5.

Still one of my favorite games due to nostalgia, but there's no way I'd enjoy it as much without that. It's just aged too poorly. Probably won't do the aftergame after all. Going through the new dungeon just brings up feelings of apathy and honestly I got other things I should be doing with my time and other games I could be playing.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: July 25, 2015, 05:21:14 PM »
That was a fun read. On the whole I agree with most of your commentary.

Re the specific magicite idea: the problem with just giving everyone their specific magicite is that it doesn't turn the game into an FF5/T/etc., but into an FF4/9, where everyone has fixed progression. It's slightly more interesting because new abilities are tied to things besides level (in some cases, at least, such as Edgar, Gau, Mog) and certainly the relic system would go a long way towards giving the player some choice in how to design his/her characters, but I still find those sorts of fixed-progression games pretty inferior and they definitely have less replayability. Even, say, Wild Arms 4, which I'd argue is the best fixed-progression RPG gameplaywise, uses a system to give the player a lot of choice in abilities (the GC Graph or whatever it's called) and has a really fun battle system.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: July 25, 2015, 05:50:48 PM »
It could be interesting to split the magicite evenly across the cast -Umaro and allow each one to only be used once and see what sort of "classes" get built that way, but honestly that still sounds not very fun.

This is more or less exactly what the Brave New World romhack Djinn mentioned does, yeah (each character gets a list of I think 2-4 magicite they can equip, some of it overlaps).  They still have stat mods, too, so replay value comes in experimenting with different statup loadouts for the PCs.

On my end, finished LFT replay.  Reis kind of stomps all over the remainder of the game if you get her early, although she was probably actually LVP against Altima with the setup I used.  My final team looked like this, going from my final pre-Altima save:

1) Squire Ramza with Yin-Yang Magic, Dragon Spirit, Attack UP and Move-HP Up.  Finished the game at level 59, with 97 brave and 70 faith.  I ran Ramza as a utility caster most of the game (he has Geomancer mastered and the full YYM spellset), but transitioned to the physical setup at the end because of the 97 Brave.  For the final battle he was equipped with Ragnarok, Aegis Shield, Thief Hat, Maximillian and Salty Rage.

2) A generic Lancer with Punch Art, Blade Grasp, Attack UP and Move+3.  Finished the game at level 56, with 75 brave and 60 faith.  One of my starting generics, featured in almost every battle in the game.  He ran the dreaded MP Switch/Move-MP Up combo for a while, but in the later game I valued the mobility of Move +3 more and so switched to Blade Grasp.  Probably the character whose setup varied the most over the game, he ultimately mastered all of Monk, Lancer, Ninja and Bard, although I don't think I ever actually used Song in more than one or two fights.  Once I got the Blood Lance from Nelveska, I never looked back.  Final battle saw him equipped with Blood Lance, Paladin Shield, Grand Helmet, Crystal Mail and Bracer.

3) A generic Squire with Time Magic, Damage Split, Short Charge and Move-MP Up.  Finished the game at level 55, with 76 brave and 70 faith.  Another of my starting generics, featured in most battles.  She missed out on some C1 battles with only 4 deployment slots.  She actually only ran Squire primary very early and very late; she was a Summoner for the actual meat of the game, and ended up with Wizard mastered.  Summoner would be mastered but for Zodiac.  As it turned out, her secondary would prove meaningless in the final fight, though.  She was equipped with the Materia Blade (left over from running Summon/Black earlier in the final gauntlet), Flash Hat, Light Robe and Setiemson.

4) Dragoner Reis with Elemental, PA Save, Equip Armor and Move-HP Up.  Finished the game at level 56, with 62 brave and 64 faith.  Geomancy damage from her is absolutely insane, routinely breaking 200.  Holy Breath is hilariously YOLO, I got decent mileage out of it too.  Probably LVP against Altima herself though, that fight doesn't play to this setup's strengths.  I probably should have switched her to Punch Art for Altima, oh well (she had the full set).  Equipment was Crystal Helmet, Crystal Mail and Salty Rage.

5) Divine Knight Meliadoul with White Magic, HP Restore, Short Charge and Move-HP Up.  Finished the game at level 55, with 76 brave and 68 faith.  The ultimate expression of tanky white mage support.  Her job gives her plenty of MP to work with, and Speed Ruin is absolutely awesome and probably the best skill in her kit.  Equipment was Save the Queen, Genji Shield, Genji Helmet, Genji Armor, and Genji Gauntlet.  I probably should have given her Excalibur but given that everything she does in the Altima fight is charged it wouldn't have mattered much.  Turned out to be absolutely worth the effort of getting her about 2000 priest JP (that and the rest of her RSM is all I grinded out though).

Honorable mentions (characters that featured heavily in the run but didn't get used at the end):

6) Generic #3.  Meliadoul replaced her, being the same thing but better with low effort.  She had mastered Knight, Geomancer, and Priest and spent most of the time in some permutation of those three jobs, being a support character with generally low damage, often running Equip Gun with a Blaze Gun as her primary offense.  She was level 52 at the end, so she got plenty of action, still, and was generally invaluable in her role.

7) Agrias.  Agrias was great all through chapter 2 and 3 and, I felt, started to fall off some in chapter 4.  For one, although she has an RSM advantage against Orlandu, he crushes her in raw damage output with swordskills.  Holy Knight's poor stats also hold her back, and her options for other feasible primary jobs are limited due to the swords restriction (Punches notwithstanding) - once the better Knight Swords started rolling in (like Excalibur) I found it increasingly hard to justify using a job that couldn't equip them, once I reached the point where even Scorpion Tail-powered swordskills weren't reliably OHKOing.  I never really settled on a good secondary set for her, and so the lack of focus eventually was her downfall and she ended up being replaced by Reis.  I probably should have brought her back for the final battle, though.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: July 25, 2015, 06:56:42 PM »
That was a fun read. On the whole I agree with most of your commentary.

Re the specific magicite idea: the problem with just giving everyone their specific magicite is that it doesn't turn the game into an FF5/T/etc., but into an FF4/9, where everyone has fixed progression. It's slightly more interesting because new abilities are tied to things besides level (in some cases, at least, such as Edgar, Gau, Mog) and certainly the relic system would go a long way towards giving the player some choice in how to design his/her characters, but I still find those sorts of fixed-progression games pretty inferior and they definitely have less replayability. Even, say, Wild Arms 4, which I'd argue is the best fixed-progression RPG gameplaywise, uses a system to give the player a lot of choice in abilities (the GC Graph or whatever it's called) and has a really fun battle system.

Very true, but for my part I think I'd still enjoy that more than the current system. At least with FF4/9, the characters are very obviously different. As interesting as jobs? Definitely not. More interesting than what FF6/7/8 turn into without self imposed restrictions? I would say yes, though honestly not by much. 100% agreed that there's little to no replayability there, for what it's worth, but that's not high on my list of priorities for games (EDIT: RPGs) TBH. Like, of my top 10 list of RPGs (not including Roguelikes like FTL or Necrodancer), the only game that breaks 3 replays is Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2. And, uh, Kingdom of Loathing, I guess, but that doesn't really count. Discounting that, MAYBE FFT and Earthbound have 4. Maybe.

It could be interesting to split the magicite evenly across the cast -Umaro and allow each one to only be used once and see what sort of "classes" get built that way, but honestly that still sounds not very fun.

This is more or less exactly what the Brave New World romhack Djinn mentioned does, yeah (each character gets a list of I think 2-4 magicite they can equip, some of it overlaps).  They still have stat mods, too, so replay value comes in experimenting with different statup loadouts for the PCs.

Oh man I forgot about that. Meh, I'm so burned out on FF6 now (the dungeons I saved for the end in WoR really soured the experience) that that one's gonna have to wait another 6 years before I play it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:21:06 PM by Makkotah »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: July 25, 2015, 07:37:48 PM »
Yeah, putting replayability as a low priority is entirely fair (these games tend not to be short to start with). Personally, I do feel that it has an effect since even if I don't hit 4+ playthroughs that often either (though more often than you, certainly), a game with very fixed character builds may struggle to hit even two or three playthroughs. It's pretty much why I haven't played Radiant Historia, for instance, despite enjoying its battle system a fair deal (not that this example means much to you. I'd use FF4 as an example, but I actually have replayed that multiple times despite never being a big fan because I was young and stupid).

EDIT: To be clear I'm talking about replaying games for gameplay purposes. Obviously someone might wish to replay something like Xenogears, Earthbound, etc., for other reasons whatever their character build methods.

I still think the FF6 model does have an inherent edge on the FF4 model because you can restrict yourself to essentially turn the former into the latter, but it's pretty reasonable to feel differently regarding self-imposed restrictions, and it's not like I'm that big a fan of the FF6 model anyway (though the stat/equipment differences make it better than FF7-8 by a ways IMO, at least).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:45:57 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: July 25, 2015, 07:48:03 PM »
Regarding Cactuar:

You beat the death counter by having a combined party HP of over 10k HP; Reraise helps this though yes, being unable to Scan him is flat out stupid since it means you can't even plan around it, just need to keep track of it.

It's another example of how the guys Square-enix outsourced the GBA ports too were just going "yeah, this sounds like a good idea!" without actually play testing or thinking about it fully, though really all the new ideas show some issue in this regard.  Gilgamesh is tedious to access, Leviathan gives a new spell that is gotten too late to be worth anything, Cactuar you discussed, and Diabolos has the always moronic "requires beating aftergame dungeon to access!"  I've already ranted about Dragon's Den weapons enough that all I'll add is the things they got right there were either because of a low bar to clear (like Shadow or Cyan) or weren't weapons at all (Umaro and Gau.)  Dragon's Den was clearly not play tested since you can't gain Magic Points there, which doesn't seem like a very logical decision because there's little reason to hold back there; the real reason is likely because they shoved all the formations on the formations that can't yield Magic Points and didn't bother to test this (because again, the game shows more signs of lack of play-testing in new content than intentional design decisions.)  The only thing I think they really got right were the Dragon Refights in Dragon's Den, and if it weren't for Ultima trivializing one of it's major gimmicks, Kaiser Dragon is a well done and unique super boss.

EDIT: Also, I'll add in that I agree with Elfboy that FF6's model lends itself to the potential of making actual character differences via restrictions.  One thing I will note though is a way to get around the "fixed" model is to offer enough options to work with, something FF9 does so you can at least say "ok, I used this team on my first playthrough, let's try something different!" Games with fixed parties and fixed growths tend to have no real offer in replay-ability.  FF4DS did try to add augments to alleviate that granted, but they screwed that up by making the game outright punish you for sub-optimal usage of key ones, and having no leeway whatsoever, to the point where it doesn't even promote the idea of "play around and see what works."  I maintain FF4DS could have used something to allow you to reset augments, like maybe an item (an expensive one even to avoid abusing it!) that removes augment from the character and lets you use it on someone else.

And I don't buy "the level 70+ stat growth!" argument because that an entire idea is stupid to begin with, and just replacing FF4's original stupidity of "Randomized growths after level 70 because reasons! Oh yeah, stats can go down too."

Also don't think it's entirely fair to say FF6 is on the same level as FF7/8, because in those games barring some very key examples (Tifa's weapons of awesome, Squall's Auto Crits, Limits), the characters are completely defined by what you equip them with.   Granted neither FF7/8 are anywhere near as extreme as FF2 or FF12, where the character differences are basically non-existent beyond some minor base stat things (and in FF2's case, that'll stop mattering after a point anyway.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:00:47 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: July 25, 2015, 08:35:23 PM »
One thing I will note though is a way to get around the "fixed" model is to offer enough options to work with, something FF9 does so you can at least say "ok, I used this team on my first playthrough, let's try something different!"

Yeah, when I said that I was thinking more along the lines of FF9/Chrono Trigger/DQ4/Valkyrie Profile/Most other games that use this system, where all characters are static but you have a large(ish) variety to choose from rather than FF4/Earthbound/Wild ARMs/DQ8, where your party is unchangeable and without much customization. In those types of games, while every character may be the same in every play through, you can at least play with party composition, whereas party composition is meaningless in the 7/8 model. Of course it's a matter of preference, but yeah. I can confidently say that when I replay Earthbound/Mother 3, it sure as hell won't be for combat reasons because y'all are right--replaying those games isn't going to provide much of interest in that arena.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: July 25, 2015, 10:10:39 PM »
To be fair to Dragon Quest 8, it allows some level of customization since while the characters are the same, you can make them in different builds due to the skill system, though I think there's a number of key skills learned via levels regardless that compromises the skill-point system anyway, meaning character changes between files aren't so drastic.

But yeah, I think it is key factor in all of this.  A game with a static cast like DQ8 works if you give enough customization to make it that the characters can have different builds between games, and a static growth system works fine if you have an actual say of who to use.   The whole reason FF4TAY's second half is better than it's first half, and similarly, why it's gameplay is a significant improvement over FF4, is because TAY allows for full party options and you can build a team how you want.

...well, ok, 2nd half of TAY is also better than the first half because it completely guts the fan-fic level intrusive plot in favor of just "look, you have a bunch of characters, some old, some new, now make a team of them and kick some ass for the next 10 hours."
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: July 26, 2015, 01:07:05 AM »
Revo's band is Linked Horizon?

Sound Horizon.  Whenever they team up with other bands, they switch it over to Linked Horizon because they're working with others.  Dunno why they bother but hey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: July 26, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »
The FF6 super dungeon is not very interesting. I played the FF6 version just for that dungeon, and quit halfway through it. It's a FF6 megadungeon in which you use your stupid unbeatable setups and go through a ton of battles against HP meatbags.

I think people like Offering + Genji stuff because they can just autobattle and press less buttons

I shouldn't have mentioned Civ battles in RK with Snow since i almost feel a little part of me wanting to spend money on stamina refresh, and: nope.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2271 on: July 26, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
Final Fantasy and the RNG of Secrets: Got Selphie to Level 50. Her Record Materia is Slots, which sometimes changes a basic physical to a magical attack. I guess that's good if I'm running multiple mages. The novelty of it is nice at least. Selphie herself hasn't been too bad as far as a replacement healer goes so I'm not wasting EXP. Garnet is the better option, and I don't have enough Staves to justify using both of them most of the time. Also, I just -like- Yuna more, despite her inferior Soul Break. Man, I can't wait for Summoner's Materia so I can finally start spamming summons.

Quistis is just awful, though. If they gave her White Magic 4, she'd be viable as a magic damage + Reflect/Protectga/Silencega carrier, but as-is it seems only Tyro can wield both decent Black and White magic. Well, so can Vanille/Rinoa, but she's capped at 50 instead of 65, so useless to me for now.

I can't overstate how important that level cap is for PCs to be viable anymore. If they can't break 50, they can't use Materia, and that just makes them useless. It's really disappointing. I've even got Locke's Soul Break weapon, but he's capped at 50, so he's weaker than all my main fighters, can't gain more EXP, AND can't use shiny new Materia to help him get around his weaknesses. It's sad because I would LOVE to be able to spam MT Damage+Slow in boss rushes...

Alternately, if the RNG would give me a fucking 5-star Staff, that'd work just fine too.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: July 26, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »
Level 4 support is way better than level 4 white magic Djinn, Support 4 is honestly the best skillset in the game right now.
I'm expecting that once we'll have properly honed breakdowns, Quistis'll contribute more to the team with Firaga + Mental/Armor Breakdown
than a pure black mage with two BM spells, even if her damage with breakdowns is utterly pathetic

Regarding level cap: I agree. A level 50 character in his realm will still be respectable, but less useful than a level 65 character from another realm, so ...

I'm using Fran right now, she's really good. With a 5* spear, she shines a lot more than Wakka with a 5* dagger. She's going to take his place as the default support in my team. I thought that as a support, she'd be too frail for the front row, but she has Tiduslike durability and can use power/magic breakdowns.

SMT4: Hot imagery

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61L7r1HvNQL._SL1024_.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/p2sjdmk

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: July 26, 2015, 11:03:03 PM »
Quistis' 4 Support is pretty nice for slotting extra breaks and status, I feel like you always want more slots for that in the current metagame. Another cool use for it is being an extra Intimidate slot for no real downside. Her crappy offensive stats are a bummer, though (barely higher base Mag than Red XIII? Ew). Her SBs are also terrible.

Fran, by the way, is a surprisingly good Wakka substitute if you have even a decent spear or bow and minimally honed Breakdowns. Her stats are pretty good for a Support-type. Until Full Break becomes a thing, you could honestly do much worse, though she can't use low-level breaks due to no Combat levels, but that's honestly okay.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: July 27, 2015, 02:41:25 AM »
Final Fantasy The Desperate Autobattles You Made Me Do - After getting Quistis all the way up to L46 and handing Yuna's equipment to Selphie, I took another swipe at the Edea battle. Setup was Cloud with Retaliate/Thundara Strike, Vivi with Firaja/Waterja, Wakka with Magic Breakdown/Magic Break, Selphie with Curaga/Diara and Quistis with Boost/Armor Breakdown, Sentinel's Grimoire as my RW. Setup was essentially "eke out as much DPS out of Reta-meta as humanly possible" along with "shave off the rest of Edea's HP as fast as it can be done". With R2 -jas consistently dealing 9999 damage to her with absolutely no buffing/debuffing and Armor Breakdown + Boost allowing for 3.7k damage basic Cloud physicals, this proved rather fruitful - enough to land mastery, nonetheless. When I won the fight, the Magic Break I brought for insurance in case her 214k HP outlasted both Magic Breakdown spam and two SGs proved frankly unnecessary. This ++ fight feels a lot closer to Jenova BIRTH than to Seymour - rather than a puzzle battle, it's mostly an ugly slugfest that relies on your ability to juggle offense and damage mitigation. Just don't believe Dr. Mog and try to cheese her with Reflect: besides Edea having MT Dispel and being rather trigger-happy with it, her MT damage isn't reflectable anyway.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:49:04 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »