Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194657 times)

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2125 on: July 17, 2015, 08:49:47 PM »
Ffrk

Beyond the daily dungeon...

Where are you guys going to farm greater non elemental orbs at?
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: July 17, 2015, 09:08:23 PM »
Quote from: Fenny
Wait in your post, doesn't R3 alternatively mean "3* skill" and "A skill honed two times"?
You should probably level Josef up at one point, both his RMs look like some of the top RMs for melee fighters. (Auto Doublecut being only really good for Retaliate though)

R3 I usually mention as rank 3 spells. Honed twice, 6 uses. I'm already shifting out of the R3s and entering the age of R4s, though. I may have used R3s at some point for rarity-3, too, I mix up the terminology at points.

Regarding Josef: I should, but lazy. He's one of the people I'm eventually going to level, at least. I also levelled WM and BM, but didn't list them for reasons of lol. I also did the same to Kain, same reasons of lol apply.

Another advantage of your skills is that you can also use two black mages right away, while my second would only have two measly R3 -agas.

Well, you prioritized specific Spellblade -ras. For physicals, I prioritized breaks and busters, since I read in advance about the mage meta and realized, by the time Concentration and Mana Spring kicked in, that we're on the cusp of the mage age. I still have R3 -ra Strikes pretty much universally, but I'm unlikely to go beyond that, since they'll be obsoleted by the -gas and the -ras already don't really cut it for pure damage anymore when not hitting weakness.

Anyway I'm glad I didn't spend my greater earth orbs right away, so I can immediately break the two loser guards in the Ex+. I think I'll go Yuna/Vivi/Vanille/Front row Danjuro Wakka/Tidus for the ex+, Vanille carrying one black magic and one white magic spell.
Regular Ex looks fairly manageable.

EX Plus, I'm probably running Heat Lance Balthier/Official Ball Wakka/Vivi/Yuna/one of Garnet, Vanille or Red XIII. Garnet gives me more leeway on defensive loadout, but Vanille and Red let me save a Vivi offense slot. I have both Break and Death, and I might even craft a second Break for less S/Ling. Regular EX, I'm only benching Cloud and loading up on Garnet, since Carbuncle + another heal/Dia/Slowga battery (see, besides the R5 Curaga, I also have a -second- R4 Curaga!) would be sorta nice.

Now, for Scar: there are specific maps where you can farm them, you can look up on Google or Reddit. It's a pretty long and inefficient process, though, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're close to being able to hone/craft an ability. I usually just craft the R4s from the spoils I get through dungeon rummaging and event clearing.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: July 17, 2015, 10:24:22 PM »
I have no regrets about spellblades, I don't think I could have three chocobo'd some tough event battles without them. And soon, Bio strike and Break strike will exist. Way 2 cool

Kain's actually not too right now, I think he got a boost. Pretty good stats for a normal fighter, and he can use one of those regular breaks we have honed to hell. (because support guys can't quite carry 4 breakdowns at once) If you have one of those 5* spears lying around he's not the worst choice especially if you just want to 5 speed auto stuff.

Now that I'm looking at stat comparisons though, I see that he's basically Balthier trading Support 3, Thief 4 and Celerity 4 for Dragoon 5. That's... Yeah.
At least he can totally Horizontal Jump 8 / Vertical Jump 8 stuff. Also Lancet is probably coming? Please be excited
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:30:30 PM by Fenrir »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 17, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
I'm also planning on using Quistis/Selphie some, maybe Tifa if I get her a good knuckle (lulz), definitely Steiner... this will likely play into having better general options for different realms in the long term. I should level the NES FF losers for their Mythril at least, but there's a lot of stuff that takes priority.

Eiko is almost certainly the best of the near-future event chars, baring favorable gatcha luck (in which case Sazh probably takes the cake). ~400 less HP than Yuna/Garnet at L65, but she gets Mass Shell as her default SB and Bard 4 is almost certainly more useful than Support 2/3; MT attack and magic buffs, MT sleep, and a 2* non-elemental ability with the same multiplier as Diara (2*) that scales off magic.

Eiko being this good kinda saddens me, but I suppose I put up with Kain in my party for a long time, so I'll just have to deal with it.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: July 18, 2015, 12:33:09 AM »
Huh, she gets Bard 4? That so does make up for the crap stats. I was fearing she'd be a Garnet mirror.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: July 18, 2015, 01:57:56 AM »
FFRK:  Cecil boss rush was very hard compared to the regular dungeons.  Scarmiglione with constant counters and Cecil's crazy crits.

Yuna Elite dungeons are just kicking my ass in general.  I'm using Tidus but not Yuna or Wakka, so missing a lot of stars there.  Oh did I mention I just got wrecked by Undead Evrae twice?  First time he Stone Gazes Balthier and Garnet.  Okay, just bad luck, spend a mythril to do it again.  Everything's going great, I hit blind on him with first attack, I'm beating him down nicely.  Then he Stone Gazes Garnet.  Again.  Suddenly I have no healing and those 400 damage hits from Photon Spray add up quickly.  *throws phone*

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: July 18, 2015, 02:54:27 PM »
Final Fantasy She-Autobattles From The Deep - I couldn't resist and upgraded Firaja to R2. Back to the drawing board. Also amassed enough NE Orbs for Comet R4. Now, all my efforts will be focused on gil farming for today. 115k gil for 45 timebux isn't a bad deal, at least.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: July 18, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »
FFFFFF I bought the wrong Etrian Odyssey from the store. I bought the one that's an easier remake of the first Etrian Odyssey. Which is, as far as I am concerned, the worst thing.

Fortunately you can from the select a classic mode instead of story mode, and a hard difficulty: the game becomes regular good old EO1, with mechanical/graphical improvements.

So I've started a Troubadour SCC on hard mode. What could possibly go wrong?

Troubadours can use a ton of boosts that last three turns. Atk, def, hit, speed. They can spellblades regular attacks, and lower enemy resistance to the corresponding elements. Since they have no attack skills, boosting regular attacks looks pretty hot. They can dispel, and have weird HP/TP healing skills. They also have some other skills which look pretty cool.

YEAH!

My guild name is Bardz. One floor in and I realize I'm fucked. Damage is pretty low and doesn't look it will be improving any time soon. The worst enemies 2HKO and I have no healing, so I have to haul my ass back to the inn after every battle. The inn is way more expensive than what I get from a single battle so I'm losing money. Buffs seem fucking useless at low levels.

At level 2 one of the bards gets some inexpensive out of battle HP healing, so I can start slowly getting some cash for new equipment. Getting money is usually painless in EO,you just create a few characters with all the gathering skills, go to some key points in the dungeon, and leave. Unfortunately bards only have the Take gathering skill, and apparently I can't Take any stuff on floor 1. And floor 2 is so far away.

I am deathly afraid of exiting the very first area (like, the first small square, not the first floor), because enemies get super nasty right away. I grab a skill that lowers encounter rate, so I can rush to the chopping point to grab one measly ingredient and rush back to the inn. But I'm not sure if the lower encounter rate is real or if it's just a placebo effect at this point. What's with all the shitty skills, man

tl;dr: Bards

RK: Wow I am pretty close to finishing every stage that has 2 Timebux shards as a reward
Don't laugh Snow
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 07:10:22 PM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: July 18, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
Low Stamina is pretty much the second highest thing on Snow's list of reasons to break up.

Also dude, plz no.  Don't do that to yourself.  That is some trancey level self bondage right there.  Just play the ezez mode and make fun of the plot for me.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: July 18, 2015, 08:04:53 PM »
Low Stamina is pretty much the second highest thing on Snow's list of reasons to break up.
Pretty good

Also dude, plz no.  Don't do that to yourself.  That is some trancey level self bondage right there.  Just play the ezez mode and make fun of the plot for me.

Can't, if EO picks characters for me, I know they'll be moe as hell.
Like, during character creation in a standard EO, 80% of the characters are moe and I have to look hard for the UOMs and bears
I also have some pretty fond memory of EO plot, and this would probably ruin all the good parts

Anyway, I got some +10HP helms on my front row fighters(the HP boost is amazing) and managed to map the first floor and complete the first quest.

I nearly cried when I found 100 gold during exploration. Then I got 500 gold from Rhada hall for finishing the mapping quest. 
Rhada hall you are amazing, I am ready to genocide an entire race just to satisfy your terrible expantionist philosophy, if you want (who knows??)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: July 19, 2015, 01:19:06 AM »

Lies, that's only fourth-highest.

FF5 - Drakenvale accomplished. The dragon randoms are kinda nasty, but Control is simply -great- at wrecking them. Rescuing Golem was kinda tricky due to my party being so MT-centric, so I actually needed to tone down on my offense and my usual cheese tactics were being finicky to connect. I ended up busting out an Elixir for safety on Golem, but it ultimately worked out. Dragon Grass was pretty much a Titan conga line where none of the enemies ever saw the light of day. Summoner is so busted as crowd control. I'll have to go back for the Bone Mail, though, assuming I care enough about it. I'm not sure I do.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2136 on: July 19, 2015, 08:42:37 AM »
FFRK: Woo-hoo got triple-chocobo on Yuna's Boss Rush on the first try! It was nail-biting but actually a really intense battle. Valefor nearly ended my run 3 times with Sonic Wings before I could take it out. Luckily it misses fairly often. In general, the hardest fight was the triple-Aeon Isaru battle because I had to keep reapplying my debuffs but couldn't use them as a damage source because I needed to conserve that shit for the next two major bosses. I should really finish upgrading all of my Breaks to R4.

Anyway, yay I got Ixion (who I wonder if I'll ever even use...) and a Major Egg!

And... what's this... ANOTHER Bonus fight? EX++? Seymour and Anima? Oh cool it's only twenty stamin- why am I dead already?

Well, at least it'll be EXP day in about twenty minutes.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: July 19, 2015, 08:52:59 AM »

I see you either changed more or you lied to me even more.

FF5 - I have had a couple of spots I struggled until Ex-Death's Castle where I realised that even though Monk isn't as cray as some earlier incarnations, it still scales mad dumb with Character level.  I have Chemist.  If I have setup time then nothing stands much of a chance.  Bard is only going to make that more stupid if I didn't fuck up pianos.  Time mate gives me that setup time most of the time.  Ex-Death still had some bad runs though, he is legit.  Dragon Grass was lol though.  You don't need anything as strong as Titan there.  Kick rolls that fight.  Kick.  Which incidentally is better than I used to give it credit.  Even before level boost nonsense it is okay MT physical that ignores row.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: July 19, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »
My second fiesta run is near its end  (Natural Red Mage/Summoner/Blue Mage/White Mage)

It's always hilarious to me that Antlion is one of the tougher fights for Summoner.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: July 19, 2015, 01:03:26 PM »
Etrian Odyssey Untold Troubadour SCC:

I'm nearly done with Floor 2. Look just how fast I go through the game.
Floor 2 introduces FOEs, and my reaction to FOEs right now is : Nope nope nope nope

I have three front row bards with swords and two back row bards with bows, because I can't possibly have only two bards eating all the front row damage. They'd die immediately. Every front row bard has at least HP Up 1 since it's a nice 10% HP bonus, for one skill point.

I have one bard focused on the def+/mdef+ song and one focused on the atk+ song. Both songs are maxed, so I can notice their effects in battle! Amazing!
One bard is aiming for the healing skills, we'll see how good they are. I am guessing: not good.
One bard is focused on the fire-spellblade song, because I know my favourite ice wolf is the 5th stratum boss and my bards really cannot possibly be prepared enough for this fight.
One bard has the out of battle healing skill, and is going to get that one song that raises max HP soon.
Maybe, just maybe, I can kill Fenrir with atk+/def+/HP+/fire attacks on everybody. That'd be sweet.

People get moved by bard songs so they become better in combat, right?  But how could 5 bards singing different songs at the same time possibly help anyone?

Untold introduces a new extremely JRPGish system of Grimoires. In battle there's a % chance that you'll get another % chance of getting a thing after battle, that gives you skills, and you can combine these things according to extremely obscure mechanics, etc etc. JRPGs, man.
Basically this means I can get enemy skills (useless) and skills from... bards. (also useless)

I started with one extremely useful grimoire skill though: It's basically CPR. It costs 2 TP, works only outside of battle, and gives a ~20% chance to revive an ally. Beforehand my only source of rez was an expensive storebought item.

In this remake, I can also buy some passive abilities that last for an entire day. Right now, there's one that costs 10 gold and restores 10% HP at the end of every round. Yes plz

RK: Exp day = Level 50 Brosef

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: July 19, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »

I see you either changed more or you lied to me even more.

With age, comes change.

Final Fantasy Autobattle Opens A Boutique - Yuna event boss rush mastered with zero mythrils spent, that was pretty easy comparatively (don't get me wrong, it was leagues more involved than Cecil's boss rush, which is just kind of lol. But no fight really broke past the 80k HP mark, so blitzing bosses was a lot easier. Reta-meta for Evrae 1 and Isaaru, straight up blitz Evrae Altana and Seymour Natus. I also lucked out some on the Ethers, so I was in great shape for Natus, with two Waterja charges, overkill Blizzagas, four Magic Breakdowns and three Armor Breaks). I also completed the EX ++ boss fight, which is interesting, but I don't think I'm in position to easily master. See, it replicates the first Seymour fight: two tankish Guardians, Seymour slinging magic, then Anima, then Seymour again, now with -ga spells. You can petrify or ID the Guardians - and you pretty much HAVE to if you want to have a serious shot at mastering this - and Seymour eats it bad to Carbuncle/Runic Blade. Problem is Anima, who is a damage race with painful attacks (at least, outside Oblivion, they're all ST). If she gets off Oblivion, you also instantly lost mastery. So, there are these moving parts which make the fight itself fairly sane, but the mastery conditions are pretty brutal. If I manage to hone a second charge of Carbuncle this week, I may try my hand at it again, at least.

Also just L50'd Josef with eggs and some XP dungeoning. Why the fuck not.

FF5 - This is pretty fun, guys. Went to Atomos' Tower and realized much to my chagrin that half the spells I wanted to learn there required Reflect... on the enemies. Oh fuck this noise. At least I learned Time Slip and Off-Guard there and nabbed by pure accident a Reflect Ring (AND A DREAM HARP!!!11111!!!1). Atomos... I thought this party wouldn't be so hot at handling him (having to face his MEvade, even if modest, for cheesing him out with Sleep and he's just obscenely brutal otherwise), but then I realized he's L41. Dark Spark => L5 Death => lols. Then, I got a submarine and instead of moving the plot forward, I decided to pick up Catoblepas. I captured an Ironback on the way there. I tossed it at Catoblepas. *5860 DAMAGE* *lol ohko* uh.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 02:58:37 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: July 19, 2015, 03:04:11 PM »
I take back everything I said about S/L because fuck break.
My plan for the mastery is :
1) Carbuncle, break on one guard, pile on the other
2) Snow's dog +Waterja Vivi + Firaga Vanille + Breaks Wakka + Breaks Cloud + Curaga Yuna against Anima
3) Carbuncle again for the last fight.
Should be enough right?

EO Untold: I can only have three buffs on an ally at a time? This is bad. Really really bad. And I had started thinking my bards team could be good.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: July 19, 2015, 03:04:56 PM »
Now you guys get to have the fun of trying to get Josef's second materia.  Which I got last night *taunts*.  It's two hits against random enemies, either one can crit independently.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: July 19, 2015, 03:33:32 PM »
I take back everything I said about S/L because fuck break.
My plan for the mastery is :
1) Carbuncle, break on one guard, pile on the other
2) Snow's dog +Waterja Vivi + Firaga Vanille + Breaks Wakka + Breaks Cloud + Curaga Yuna against Anima
3) Carbuncle again for the last fight.
Should be enough right?

I'd also recommend bringing a Celes RW for backup instead of Red, since Carbuncle being up against Anima is seriously bad news. Lunatic High is nice for being able to pile up damage on Anima faster, but I suspect you have enough resources to bumrush Anima as long as she doesn't start charging for Oblivion -too- early.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 03:35:16 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2144 on: July 19, 2015, 07:32:02 PM »
Goddammit I have been trying to get Josef's second RM for like a week now.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: July 19, 2015, 07:49:57 PM »
I'm really not too sure why people are so excited about Josef's RM2. I mean, it's cool for Reta-meta, but otherwise, it's bad for cleaning trash due to unfocusing and spreading its 1.3 mult between hits. His first RM is a far bigger deal, nearly 20% effective boost on Atk AND Def in exchange for starting the battle with a menial status, that's a freaking sweet deal.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2146 on: July 19, 2015, 07:56:26 PM »
Because one is "always useful and has no downside" which is more than most RM which are all bordering on useless lately...

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: July 19, 2015, 08:07:23 PM »
Every site seems to have different values for the multipliers, I have no idea what the correct ones are.  I wouldn't call Sap a menial status though.  The constant ticks add up quickly in elite dungeons.  It also doesn't seem to expire over time, so you're stuck with it.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: July 19, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »
Sap's pretty bad for Brosef as he's one of the least durable fighters already, but I'm sure someone like Cloud could do wonders with this materia.

I think that the other materia does +10% atk and this translates to +20% damage or something. Mechanics are weird.
Kain's adds 20% atk, it's awesome. It's just a royal pain having Vivi smack your Cloud at the beginning of every battle

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: July 19, 2015, 09:23:12 PM »
It's just a royal pain having Vivi smack your Cloud at the beginning of every battle

SOLDIER boy off in this hoe
Watch me spank it
Watch me roll
Watch me spank that SOLDIER boy
Then super man that hoe
Now watch me you
(spank that SOLDIER boy)
Now watch me you
(spank that SOLDIER boy)
Now watch me you
(spank that SOLDIER boy)
Now watch me you