Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194729 times)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #1950 on: July 11, 2015, 01:25:09 AM »
Figaro Castle is all sorts of hilarious to me now. Like, I never understood how Edgar was hitting on Terra in their first scene except the game was telling me that he was. After living in Japan I understand that the "Are you my type" question is way more flirty than it would be in the US... and it still is confusing and doesn't make any goddamn sense. Epitome of telling instead of showing.

One of his reasons is "your beauty has captivated me" and you still didn't put it together?

I wasn't a very bright child and to be honest I forgot about that as soon as he said it last night too.

OK so Dog Hitler totally is a thing other people saw. His Amano art is of an old dude so I guess the ears and dog nose are supposed to be hair but no fuck it Dog Hitler.

Guys. Guys. The answer is that basic physicals don't matter. That is rule 1 of getting anything done in FF6.  On an actual FF6 mechanics question, did FF6a fix the MEvade glitch? Does Evade actually matter? Similarly, does Blind do what it's supposed to do and not just give you bitchin shades?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:27:06 AM by Makkotah »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: July 11, 2015, 01:29:53 AM »
For what it's worth I also thought and still think that Gestahl looks like some sort of dog.

Yeah, those bugs are fixed in FF6a so sadly you can't rock shades without a (slight) performance hit any more.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: July 11, 2015, 01:50:59 AM »
:( this game sucks 0/10

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: July 11, 2015, 01:53:06 AM »
I finished Zelda 1 today. Interestingly, the palace I had the most difficultly with was the sixth one, with the seventh one being pretty lol terrible (including the boss which gets hilariously owned by the Magic Wand). Final dungeon was kind of like a longer version of the sixth palace with less required Wizzrobes and with more dead ends. Fuck those jelly guys that permanently eat your magic shield in the ass. I had so many resets over that.

I think the first part of the game was a little rough going since you have to feel out where you are going and you get really confused at first, but as time went on and I had a much better clue of where I was going, the game was more fun.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: July 11, 2015, 01:58:09 AM »
Yeah IIRC The 6th palace was always the hard one. Wizzrobes are some bullshit.

Are you gonna do the second quest? Unlike Zelda 2's second quest it's actually worth playing. Different dungeon placement, a handful of new enemies, and a couple mechanics that playing without an FAQ are probably either kinda interesting or extremely frustrating (false one-way walls).

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: July 11, 2015, 04:17:32 AM »
Guys. Guys. The answer is that basic physicals don't matter. That is rule 1 of getting anything done in FF6.  On an actual FF6 mechanics question, did FF6a fix the MEvade glitch? Does Evade actually matter? Similarly, does Blind do what it's supposed to do and not just give you bitchin shades?

Yeah, it's fixed.  On top of this, a few other quirks got fixed alongside it.  For example, Beads on top of 20% Evasion also flat out halves accuracy of on-coming enemy physicals (so they're a lot better than they appear.)  A few status have a 25% impact in the same vain, both positive and negative (like Haste and Slow with the expected results.)  oddly, Seizure of all things BOOSTS Evasion, and Reraise Lowers it.   Forget what happens if you have something like Haste + Reraise.

Another bug fixed was Vanish/Doom, which on top of fixing it, they also made just about every boss immune to Vanish as a precaution.

A new bug that shows up, though, is the Imp one.  Any spell that toggles Imp status can be immuned by nulling Imp.  This means Bad Breath becomes a glorified Imp spell and thus kind of completely worthless as a result.

There's also an item dupe bug but considering it's a pain in the ass to activates and only happens at the final boss...forget I even brought it up.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: July 11, 2015, 04:52:00 AM »
I'm not sure, but FF6a may have the same random battle bug as FF5a too, where the formations you run in to are fixed after saving and reloading.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: July 11, 2015, 05:07:23 AM »

Yeah, it's fixed.  On top of this, a few other quirks got fixed alongside it.  For example, Beads on top of 20% Evasion also flat out halves accuracy of on-coming enemy physicals (so they're a lot better than they appear.)  A few status have a 25% impact in the same vain, both positive and negative (like Haste and Slow with the expected results.)  oddly, Seizure of all things BOOSTS Evasion, and Reraise Lowers it.   Forget what happens if you have something like Haste + Reraise.

Another bug fixed was Vanish/Doom, which on top of fixing it, they also made just about every boss immune to Vanish as a precaution.

A new bug that shows up, though, is the Imp one.  Any spell that toggles Imp status can be immuned by nulling Imp.  This means Bad Breath becomes a glorified Imp spell and thus kind of completely worthless as a result.

There's also an item dupe bug but considering it's a pain in the ass to activates and only happens at the final boss...forget I even brought it up.

Huh, invest in Bead futures eh.

Continuing from last night, up to the Veldt after beating the other two scenarios.

Noiseblaster > Lethe River. Really all there is to say on the matter.

Ultros and the tentacle rape reference. I can't imagine that line was in the SNES translation. 1 reset here, MT tentacle followed by ST tentacle and a physical wiped out half my party from full HP. Put Terra in the back row and the problem was solved. I remember getting walled here a lot as a kid to the point where each time I had to start over (oh, the days of cartridge rentals) I would just level until I had drain or something stupid like that. Turns out 10 year olds don't understand that yeah row kinda fuckin' matters.

The star wars refrance pile doesnt stop getting taller. Curious to see if these were in the original Japanese but I doubt it.

Are there any Rages worth getting at this point except for Stray Cat? I never really used Gau that much in the WoB but may use him a bit to change things up until I unlock espers.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: July 11, 2015, 05:20:06 AM »
Ultros' lines were universally different in the SNES version, and while Kefka was mostly maintained (and eveng ained MORE One-liners) they were pretty much for the worse since they were all literal changes.  In the tentacle rape case, it was "Delicious Morsel, let me get my bib!" 

The big loss for Ultros is "That's it.  Game Over!  Don't tease the Octopus kids!" being replaced with "You're up the creek without a paddle!"  Sure, the former is completely out of nowhere...but isn't that Ultros' thing?  The ladder is just a generic idiom that meh.  Worst part is they always reference the new Ultros translation and like to pretend Woolsey never happened.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: July 11, 2015, 05:22:44 AM »
Some of the names may have been retranslated in GBA, I dunno.

Marshall (the boss from the Narshe mines) has a strong always-MT wind attack. They're kinda rare IIRC.
Templar (heavily armoured imperial soldier with an axe) has Fire 2 and Auto-Protect.
Hazers and Ghosts from the Phantom Forest both have Bolt 2, the former is slightly preferable if you get both because it isn't undead.
Bomb has Blaze, slightly stronger than Fire 2 but no Auto-Protect.
A few enemies have Break... Dark Wind (brown bird from the first overworld area) is definitely one.
Rhodox (squirrel-like creature from S. Figaro overworld) have Snare, which is death-counter-bypassing instant death.

Maybe.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: July 11, 2015, 06:08:00 AM »
OK. Getting all of those sounds kinda tedious and unnecessary so I'll just grab a handful whatever of those pops up first. Thanks, Elf.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: July 11, 2015, 07:52:26 AM »
Yeah, pretty much, that list is definitely more "these are some cool things to keep an eye out for" than "you must get all of them".

Maybe.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: July 11, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
Incidentally, I got Guard Leader/Marshal like the second fight, and Templar not long after. Gau basically soloed the entire Protect the Esper sequence.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: July 11, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »

Bees?

RK: I got a little ahead, but then I tried to do dailies just for mithril, and real life stuff got in a way, and tomorrow is exp day so I'm pretty much already way behind again. FFRK in a nutshell.

Combat 5 is pretty good for me right now since all my breaks are R4. So I guess I can find some use out of Seph and D.Cecil.
Did another 11 mithril pull with 3 five stars relic. Seems to be the norm with me. I've got 16 natural 5* now, not including that useless accessory we got last event.
I have also used mithril to upgrade inventory a little but it feels so terrible.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: July 11, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »
I also thought Gestahl looked like a dog, the same kind of dog as in Valkyrie Profile 2's Seraphic Gate.

To be fair he does have a weird character design, basically all hair and eyes:

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: July 11, 2015, 01:44:27 PM »
Incidentally, I got Guard Leader/Marshal like the second fight, and Templar not long after. Gau basically soloed the entire Protect the Esper sequence.

Lucky bastard.  Marshall's a pain in the ass to get since it's one formation that's shared with a bunch of others that you're basically not missing.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 11, 2015, 02:44:13 PM »
Fenrir: the R4 breaks are -Support-type-. And later bosses (starting at right about now, Ghis already sports it) resist Breaks, lowering their effect, albeit not their accuracy. This is why having only Combat ranks sucks for breakers. This is more or less why I'm not benching Wakka/Red XIII anytime soon. At least, Support 3 gets you the status Busters, which are pretty big for spoiling bosses.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: July 11, 2015, 03:14:20 PM »

Bees?

Fuck why wasn't I up at 4AM to say this first.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: July 11, 2015, 03:17:48 PM »
Just checked out some JP Record Keeper stats, and holy shit the power creep is real. Faris has Support 5/Celerity 4/Thief 5/Dancer 4 with Dagger/Sword/Spear/Bow/Throwing/Harp/Whip for weapons and literally everything for armor. Krile has Black 5/Summon 5 with a magic stat only 5 points behind Vivi/Lulu and better defenses than them. Whips too, just to make Rydia even more irrelevant.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: July 11, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »
Jesus fuck. And doesn't Thief eventually become the king and queen of debuffing too? Looking at the stat thieving skills, my mind went-blank-.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: July 11, 2015, 03:28:23 PM »
Yeah, Power Steal and Armor Steal have the same debuff levels as their Breakdown counterparts plus buffs on the user, while still being only 4 star for rarity. Only drawback is that we'll have to wait forever to get them.

Funny how Steal ends up being way better than usual in RK because DeNA is unwilling to code in steal tables.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: July 11, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »
Krile has Black 5/Summon 5 with a magic stat only 5 points behind Vivi/Lulu and better defenses than them. Whips too, just to make Rydia even more irrelevant.

Doesn't matter, North America will never get Krile.  *drops mic*

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: July 11, 2015, 06:33:45 PM »
Final Fantasy Love Of Autobattle - Cap-broke White Mage and got both her Record Materias. Free Protectga/ healing charge every fight forever and ever.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: July 11, 2015, 08:08:12 PM »
FF5 - Currently doing side stuff in preparation for Ronka ruins. Galuf just learned Control, which I promptly used to learn Transfusion, and I'm going to pick Flamethrower and Missile as well. Not sure I should bother with Self-Destruct and I certainly didn't bother with Dischord (is it even learnable in FF5?) and Magic Hammer, trivializing Byblos with Ifrit and Death Claw was much better. Aqua Breath and L5 Death obviously saw use so far, hail that Elf Mantle.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: July 11, 2015, 08:40:46 PM »
Self destruct can one shot Azulmagia.  He's easy enough though.