Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194655 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #1875 on: July 07, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »
It's mostly that the factory screws are machine-screwed and lodged in very, very tight.  If you don't use a *perfect* screwdriver or slightly mess up, the screw will become stripped enough to be even harder to get out.

Spoilers: take her trolley

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: July 07, 2015, 11:05:38 PM »
Am I mixing up which Silent Hill it is?  Is it the one with the vagina tree?  That was Downpour wasn't it?  Dammit.

I remembered Andy talking about it by name but remembered talking about sequences with Alex (about Downpour?) and didn't have the names associated correctly.  Damn you neural networks and your always on fuzzy search.

Edit - googling.  It is Homecoming, it is a Tree Baby, not a vagina, adding Vagina to a query for "silent hill x" is useless and brings up 90% of the wiki pages.  Like the first hit was the SH2 rape bed monster.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:12:57 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: July 07, 2015, 11:13:17 PM »
Nice!

I like how realistic each option is, and how videogame logic plays against you here. One of the first things you'd probably do is "Talk to woman" and that obviously does not end well because you can't just talk to strangers in a supermarket in real life. Then you try other options like eat gnocchi, punch gnocchi, kiss woman, cry, sing, whistle, etc, and every time you come across as a total creep and everybody is glancing nervously at you. It's nice

This Silent Hill is the one with the psychologist

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: July 07, 2015, 11:43:32 PM »
FFRK:  Beat all of Balthier's event.  Got expert on the last two elite dungeons and the boss rush but whatever, I got my Rose Corsage.  Don't think I'll try and finish Sephiroth's, it'll just make me angry.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: July 07, 2015, 11:58:27 PM »
I decided to play something super old school~

Zelda 1 - I just finished the fourth castle and walked into the sixth and it was like... boom, wizard guys, you are dead, so now I am raising a fund for a new shield. I should make a Kickstarter. I actually found the eighth castle second but I was too terrified to even try it.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: July 08, 2015, 02:02:01 AM »
So I was looking into Sam Barlow, who did Her Story, and saw that he worked on some of the latter Silent Hill games, which I never touched. Can anyone vouch for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories in particular? It looks like a Silent Hill retelling with an interesting framing device but reviewers don't seem to love it.

SHSM is an amazing, incredible,  fantastic game and my opinion of it continues to rise over time.  A lot of what it does right is subtle, introspective and not very traditionally game-like, so reviewers and players who come in expecting a "horror video game" tend to be confused and dissatisfied.  And, yeah, the chase sequence bits are awful and sometimes frustrating.  They are a minority of the experience though - for the most part it is an exploration/adventure/roleplaying game. 

It is completely unique and I can't recommend it enough.  Play the Wii version if at all possible, the motion controls add a ton to the experience as well (one of very few games I can ever truthfully say that about!)
Alex, I'll go ahead and say that you'll likely really enjoy Her Story. I'll send you the $5 if you don't.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: July 08, 2015, 03:22:19 AM »
FF5 - Just went past North Mountain and Walse Tower! Randoms on North Mountain are fairly perfunctory, Goblin Punch 2HKOs them. Magisa and Forza... well, Magisa durability is kind of a thing, she fell to a few Aeros focused on her. She -did- get to cast Drain once on Lenna, but she missed the OHKO by a hair and ate a Vampire back. Forza... well, he's just not very good under Flash.

Walse Tower was almost as simple, though enemies no longer get 2HKOed by Goblin Punch. Garula was hilariously useless, Pond's Choir completely trivializes the fight. So, I get my second crystal and my second job! Which is... Summoner. Goodbye, game.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: July 08, 2015, 03:25:40 AM »
I decided to play something super old school~

Zelda 1 - I just finished the fourth castle and walked into the sixth and it was like... boom, wizard guys, you are dead, so now I am raising a fund for a new shield. I should make a Kickstarter. I actually found the eighth castle second but I was too terrified to even try it.

That sounds relatively normal.  The game itself came with a manual that told you where the first dungeon is (not that it's hard to find or anything), and had a map that showed you enough of the world to find dungeon 2; from there you were expected to find everything on your own.  The game was designed with the idea of rewarding exploration and experimentation, though still had situations like "can't get through here without proper item!" (Step Ladder comes to mind.)

It's interesting how the franchise, for better or worse, basically has thrown away a large part of that and become just linear "Go here, do plot, do menial tasks, get to dungeon, complete, continue!" with some optional side stuff.  It's interesting that Zelda Wii U seems to want to go back to the game's routes and be legitimate non-linear open world.

For the record, this is mostly me musing and such and not trying to make a point or anything...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1883 on: July 08, 2015, 06:04:28 AM »
Miyamoto's original inspiration for the Legend of Zelda was exploring the woods he grew up by and finding a pond in it that he never knew existed so I've always found the movement to linear plotting kind of strange given that.  But hey, the first idea for the X-Men was an analogy for puberty, so people can move away from their first idea.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 08, 2015, 06:10:35 AM »
fenrir link

first thing i tried was "punch self in dick"

game responded "I only understood as far as you wanting to punch yourself."

satisfied.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: July 08, 2015, 11:53:17 AM »
Simon The Sorcerer 4: Chaos Happens - played through

On the plus side, it didn't crash anywhere near as much as Simon 3D (although who can say how much of that was the fault of my failing video card). Doesn't have wide expanses of useless space and has generally more competent-looking graphics, although I don't remember enough about 3D's to say whether they hold up in the style department. Being 3D-on-2D means it avoids the issues that Simon 3D had being 3D-on-3D, for all that it shouldn't really score any points for that.

On the other sides, the voice acting is often terrible, and not just because the actors were different. It only pays lip service to the ending of 3D, although to be fair 3D only paid lip service to the ending of 2. Simon is annoyingly still a jerk, although I can't remember 3D well enough to judge whether he's more of one or not... the solution to 'getting a skateboard' probably beats out pretty much anything he could have done in 3D, though, and the events which happen later don't counteract it.

After completing the game, I checked over the manual and found that there was a hotspot display key I hadn't found, so this is partially my fault depending on how you look at it - but I was stuck for a while because I needed a knife or something similar and I couldn't find anything. Which is to say, I could at least find a kitchen knife, but Simon refused to pick it up. Ultimately the solution required a different kitchen knife which was inexplicably lying on the ground in a hard-ish to see location in a different area. (Noting that the incorrect kitchen knife was lying on a table in a kitchen.)

Ultimately I didn't get stuck anywhere near as much in the game as I did in 3D, which is always a relief. Can't tell whether the game was noticeably shorter than 3D or not - if it was, that could be the reason more than the game being friendlier. Definitely nothing approaching the level of 2's Wear Dog.

The roleplayers didn't show up, which was somewhat disappointing.

Out There Somewhere - played through

Short and dandy.

Didn't get all the collectibles, but I'm not planning on replaying to try for them - the central mechanic hasn't worn out its welcome by the time the game ended, but I feel like it would quickly do that once I started on the harder puzzle rooms.

Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space - played through

Awful.

I was playing on Adventure - Hard, Action - Easy. Not sure how the experience changes if Adventure is set to Easy.

Lots of issues with things being difficult to see, or not showing up in the hotspot detection, or being broken, or being absurd.

The hotspot detection, for some reason, briefly pulses across the outlines of (most) detectable objects. In a 3D game. Meaning you need to keep turning around and tapping the key. And it doesn't trigger if the last pulse is still considered to be happening. And the character makes one of a small set of 'helpful' comments each time which get old fast. And you have to hope that there isn't anything which is too far away to be visible or which is obscured by something else.

The worst parts that come to mind:
- Divining that you can walk up a very sheer girder the boiler room
- Having to continually provide distractions in the generator room. Having the character continually reference using the hand for this even after you no longer have it.
- Building a ladder up a pipe with pipe segments as follows: Take a pipe segment. Hold it behind the pipe. Fire a rivet into the front of the pipe. Somehow this a) attaches the pipe segment to the back of the pipe and b) doesn't lead to the pipe segment just swivelling downwards when you put your weight on it. Also you have to manually add each pipe segment separately.
- I haven't exactly done any climbing, so maybe this is legit and just seems really unintuitive. But you're climbing without any footholds and have to deal with your arms getting tired. You do this by taking the tired arm off the surface and just hanging there for a time with the other arm.

There is hardly any action actually in the game. It's always possible that having action set to easy removed a bunch of enemies, I suppose, but you don't have any worthwhile weapon to fight them with for the majority of the game. Furthermore, I died several times to the action sequence at the start of the cave, and when I survived I had completely run out of ammunition, so I have no idea how that ends up playing out in action settings above Easy.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: July 08, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »
Snow I was going to say you are probably going to prefer Advanced version than iOS because it has a slight pause when ATB gauges fill that lets you have an easier time locking down Omega and the like with the right jobs and I know you like cheesing superbosses.

But then I started my play and remember RICHARD stars as Lenna's dad and Farris' side eye is like the best piece of Amano Art ever.

Sucks to be you chump.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: July 08, 2015, 12:56:03 PM »
Miyamoto's original inspiration for the Legend of Zelda was exploring the woods he grew up by and finding a pond in it that he never knew existed so I've always found the movement to linear plotting kind of strange given that.  But hey, the first idea for the X-Men was an analogy for puberty, so people can move away from their first idea.

I think it's because he made Ocarina of Time and then kind of never stopped making it because "PERFECT GAME!" or some such.  Majora's Mask and  A Link Between Worlds feel like the only truly original games in the franchise that weren't just "OoT with some sort of cheap gimmick" (Wind Waker's sailing, Twilight Princess' wolf, etc.), and the former was something that sort of happened by accident due to ideas being dropped and needing ways to compensate mid-development (apparently the vision was basically "OoT 2.0") and ALBW was made because Aonuma finally went "we've done this formulaic structure too damn much since 1998, maybe we should do something DIFFERENT"; ironic that the game that started as an ALttP remake ended up being the one to challenge the Zelda formula.

I hear Skyward Sword was actually going to be similar in that regard, but being a 20th Anniversary special game or some such, they realized playing with expectations may not be the wisest of ideas.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:41:52 AM by Meeplelard »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 08, 2015, 12:56:29 PM »
The thing with GBA is mainly the frameskip convenience. I'm also wondering if I'll try Omega, but I'll plan around it -after- my party is fully assembled. Not sure how well decked Summoner and Blue Mage are for handling that in a vaccuum, my FF5 knowledge is hardly encyclopaedic as it stands. Portable FF5 could ruin my life in levels that Civilization could only dream of, to boot.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1889 on: July 08, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »
FFRK: With less than a day left I managed to snipe-master Sephiroth's Boss Rush and claim some serious prizes in Power Breakdown, a Major Growth Egg, and a Major Wind Orb Valefor. Seriously came down the wire, I was just poking Jenova Birth with physicals and Cloud had like 2 HP left when it finally poofed. I am surprised at how satisfying that was. Missed out on a lot of Black Power day, though...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: July 08, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »
Final Fantasy Why Do You Autobattle Me - After massive black power grinding, I have: R4 Firaga, R3 Thundaga, Blizzaga, Fira and Thundara Strike, along with R3 Silence Buster. Sleep Buster R3 will wait for white power day (jesus this sounds horrible). This was pretty productive.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 08, 2015, 03:53:15 PM »
You mean every day?  What's next Snow, ”Where's my pride parade?"

I am not sure I read the priority queue for actions of Garula properly, but I swear he countered my monk's counters.  So that was fucked.  I poked a bit and just decided level 10 yolo focus and hope for critz.  I didn't get many critz, but the jump from 9 to 10 made punches go from 63 damage a hit to 98, so Focus does some work and Garula spreads out damage super evenly and no one even dies.

Then I guess cause I was talking some shit before I got Berserker.  Which is to say a charity got some money.

Edit - I paid for time Mage since it was equal cost to re rolling and is one I haven't had before.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:04:32 PM by Grefter »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: July 08, 2015, 03:59:29 PM »
You mean every day?  What's next Snow, ”Where's my pride parade?"

I'M SORRY OKAY

Quote from: Grefter
I am not sure I read the priority queue for actions of Garula properly, but I swear he countered my monk's counters.  So that was fucked.  I poked a bit and just decided level 10 yolo focus and hope for critz.  I didn't get many critz, but the jump from 9 to 10 made punches go from 63 damage a hit to 98, so Focus does some work and Garula spreads out damage super evenly and no one even dies.

Then I guess cause I was talking some shit before I got Berserker.  Which is to say a charity got some money.

At least, Monk will last you through world 1 still. Hope you get something better from the Fire Crystal, but hey, at least your suffering will make some charity group happy!

Also, this playthrough really drives home how badly I used to overlevel. I left Walse Tower at L11 on Faris and Bartz and I don't think I ever beat it so low. I probably should start running from fights more as well, since Excalibur will be all kinds of useless for this run.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: July 08, 2015, 05:48:36 PM »
Also, this playthrough really drives home how badly I used to overlevel. I left Walse Tower at L11 on Faris and Bartz and I don't think I ever beat it so low. I probably should start running from fights more as well, since Excalibur will be all kinds of useless for this run.

Pretty sure you mean Brave Blade here?  Because Excalibur has nothing to do with running last I checked.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: July 08, 2015, 06:22:28 PM »
Well they will both be all kinds of useless, to be fair.

Not that Chicken Knife will necessarily be much good either. I just finished my own run with Summoner and they clear randoms more effortlessly that against many enemies it's "why run?". Of course I actually needed the levels a bit more than Snow for some insurance against Earthshaker and Almagest, he has Blue Mage so lulz.

As for Omega you certainly -can- win with the party you have, but it'll be tricky as you'll have to find a way to set Float before the fight, not die, and abuse reflected Search to do damage. Obviously if you get Bard or Chemist or Beastmaster it'll be another matter.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: July 08, 2015, 06:23:26 PM »
Bravely Defaulting On Governement Debt:
I wanted to name the main characters Tsipras and Kirchner but apparently I have to wait until Chapter 5. I am pissed. 0/10 Delete game

Super Mario 3D Land:
Up to World 7.
This game has so much creativity and it's all kind of wasted because of the complete lack of challenge. I'm on autopilot in a Mario game. My very few deaths came from not paying attention. (or trying to get some hard to reach medals without the tanooki suit)
I know more levels are unlocked later but right now none of what I've already played matters.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: July 08, 2015, 06:31:31 PM »
I wanted to name the main characters Tsipras and Kirchner but apparently I have to wait until Chapter 5. I am pissed. 0/10 Delete game

You're my hero.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 08, 2015, 06:34:59 PM »
As for Omega you certainly -can- win with the party you have, but it'll be tricky as you'll have to find a way to set Float before the fight, not die, and abuse reflected Search to do damage. Obviously if you get Bard or Chemist or Beastmaster it'll be another matter.

For Float, IIRC, Mighty Guard sets it, no? If it lasts post-battle, that's a problem solved right there.

Quote from: Meeplelard
Pretty sure you mean Brave Blade here?  Because Excalibur has nothing to do with running last I checked.

Yeah, it's Brave Blade, my bad.

EDIT:

I fucking love you, man.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:37:27 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: July 08, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »
Oh right I forgot that it does that.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 08, 2015, 08:57:44 PM »
Final Fantasy Take Me To Your Autobattle - Shuffling between Gil hoarding (those honing sessions get -expensive-) and random dungeon clearing for Mythrils. Things of note: Tiamat is vulnerable to Break, like in the original, and isn't particularly hard to hit with it, unlike the original. Gottos was hilarious because, between Slow, Sleep and Stop, it didn't get a single offensive action. Slowga is badass and you should craft it as soon as humanly possible. This lull where I have no real event blazing to do, but there's a decent enough amount of timeless stuff to do, is kinda pleasant.