Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194741 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #1700 on: June 29, 2015, 12:37:40 AM »
One thing worth mentioning about FE14's path split is that making the choice is super heartbreaking as both families genuinely care about Kamui and I damn near cried when one of the not!Japan siblings was like "I've been holding onto the hope that you've been alive for all these years... What was all that for?" So at least in terms of character writing/feels, the game has been delivering.

Except for that creepy face petting mini game. Seriously IS what the fuck.

Huh and apparently the game has same sex S level supports. I don't know if S supports result in time traveling children in this particular FE (I would suspect not but who knows). But hey it'll be nice to marry Owain to the Avatar or whatever S support means this time.

FFRK: ugh. I give up on NORG. Level broke Squall but still having trouble. Pro Snow strats needed. Leveling up in general to prep for Sephiroth/Zack event (not sure which SOLDIER they're teasing at.) At least the game has the courtesy to not wall PCs behind ridiculously hard boss fights like NORG. So I'll be able to pick up another FF playing card to add to my deck.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: June 29, 2015, 01:07:58 AM »
FFRK: ugh. I give up on NORG. Level broke Squall but still having trouble. Pro Snow strats needed.

Give eggs to bard, up to level 50. Make a solo bard team, go to a low stamina req dungeon and fight until you get Zealot. Give Zealot to Squall.
Squall/Cloud/Vivi/Garnet/Wakka is probably optimal, depends on your pulls.

Have Squall attack every round against Norg. When your mages are out of juice, use his spellblades on the body and have the mages physically attack the orbs from now on.
Give only healing to your healer and keep everybody fully healed through the whole fight, because Norg has some random super high damage move.
Use weaker skills with more charges rather than strong skills with 2 charges, as you'll probably run out during the fight.
His second form is weak to wind so try to exploit that. Do not use lightning.
Pray that he doesn't use Protect/Shell, or at least not immediately

That's the most reliable way to beat him with a weak party.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: June 29, 2015, 01:15:28 AM »
Pretty sure they're bringing Sephiroth back, since they have a "COMES BACK AGAIN" sign and Zack certainly hasn't been released yet in global. He might come in the pack as a second PC, maybe?

Anyhow, NORG is a pile of HP that can be a grind on resources (I know I mentioned him being doable with no Mythril, but I -did- blow a Mythril there because I wasted a lot of resources on the damned Oilboyles), but he's not really hard to control if you pack like 16 Curagas. I -do- have two rank 3 Curagas, sooooo. ALTHOUGH Fenny's advice on having Zealot for him is top-notch, since it trivializes orb control. I honestly have -never- seen the uber damage move Fen's talking about, the best he ever did to me was like 1900 with his Psycho Blaster.

Final Fantasy Future Autobattle Heroes - Futzing around, doing random FF9 and 12 Elite dungeons for their Mythril. Level cap-broke Squall because why not, since I capped his level with the XP dungeon. Mostly waiting for the next event, since those are where the interesting battles really lie.

Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker - Well, more of the same. I chose Hard difficulty, but Day 1 certainly doesn't have much punch behind it gameplay-wise (no potential walls like that fucking Wendigo on DS1 yet). Music is considerably better, though, and the VA work here is top-notch - even better than DS1. Female Tico-Tico just fucking KILLS me every time she speaks, her intonation is absolutely hilarious.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:18:30 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: June 29, 2015, 01:31:24 AM »
FFRK: ugh. I wish I knew how to quite you NORG.

Fallout Shelter - got 200 dwellers and from then it is just expanding buildings out so people aren't always on coffee break and fishing for rare item finds.  So I guess I am done.

Fallout Shelter - Started a new shelter.  No super amazing weapon from Lunchbox at the start so raiders and exploring is harder out the gate, but still got like a Rusty Laser Pistole which is better than 80% of the chaffe you find early, so that's good enough.  Tidying up layout to that stuff is easier to oversee this time.  Nuke the first Living Quarters and turn entire first layer into Diner so you gun down raiders easy.  Nuke the Power Station just to turn whole second level section into Water Treatment, could go the other way if I had more caps early enough to place an Elevator down to start Water Treatment on third level instead.  Second set of elevators going after the Diners and then down, so rooms are in a configuration of 3E3E2.  Should be most efficient for room placement and travel (first bunker had elevators at the back of the area and that just increased travel time when the second elevator was most appropriate, clogs up first elevator a bit.  Also note: efficiency with elevator travel is pretty much meaningless).  Going to try and leave 2 room allocated to Storage and stat up rooms.  This will mean early on I have to dig deeper which will cost more coin, but will make staff management easier.

Racing to 50 dwellers to get all stat boosting rooms available (ie racing to Luck because Luck is literally the most important stat) then probably going to chill at that for a while.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: June 29, 2015, 02:44:10 AM »
Final Fantasy For The Love Of Autobattle - Sephiroth event is out! And the side PC is... Red XIII, no Memory Crystal. Bummer on the latter.

THIS SAID, I did another 50-Mythril draw, which netted me a bunch of junk, another Ten-Gallon Hat (neat enough, I used it to raise my Ten-Gallon Hat's rarity further... AND TWO COPIES OF RED XIII'S UNIQUE WEAPON. And given his unique Soul Break and skill loadout (Support 5? Black Magic 4? MT PROTECT AND HASTE ON THE LIMIT?), I think I have a Wakka replacement.

EDIT: Hell, I can even craft Wrath and use it for freeloading on Lunatic High besides having him as a magic/buster status whore and high-level debuffer. Diamond Pin Red XIII is actually pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:02:23 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: June 29, 2015, 04:03:18 AM »
Holy shit at that gatcha luck, Snow.

My personal favorite part of the Sephiroth event is reading the description and realizing they kept the 'Touph Ring' typo intact. Now just go back and fix Ultros' name and all will be forgiven, DeNA.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1706 on: June 29, 2015, 05:21:03 AM »
Gatcha luck of the gods. I got a four star staff as my best draw. Grrrr. At least Red XIII has the sickest sprite ever.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: June 29, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »
Pokemon X- Beaten. Game was way, way, way too easy with EXP Share, but honestly, I hate the EXP allocation without it (Switching in for EXP is fine on FFX where it's seemless. It's sloglike in a Pokemon game). Otherwise, I would almost say it's shocking how little the games have changed. For all the mechanical changes, I can't say it felt really different from the first game (much to it's detriment; 6 games in or so and it should feel different). Game started well, but about mid game, I was crushing things too mindlessly. I got around this by switching in lots of Pokemon.

Xerneas- Is the Legendary, rules...etc. Gave it a great Thunder attack
Klefki- Very, very, very cool. Great balanced stats, awesome Fairy type.
Electrode- Pretty good. Surprisingly good SAtk. Didn't make the final team since there was a great Thunder-element TM.
Blastoise- Great for having Strength/Waterfall/Surf. Even with Mega, it didn't feel like it could hang with the final team.
Lucario- Wasn't going to use in my final team, but I figured that having that attack AND magic stat made it worth it.
Absol- Insane tank.
Garchomp- Wasn't going to make it in my final team, but I used it when running around with super underlevelled Pokemon and it hit 48, and then it was fantastic.
Pumpkaboo- Extremely fun to use.
Cryogonal- Fun, if not the best
Quagsire- Was good, but I felt like my main team already covered at least half it's damage too well
Talonflame- Very fun to use; good early, can be adapted late
Vivillion- Cool early game use. Dropped around L20
Chatot- Yikes. I don't have an explanation. I could put Fly on it, but I can't believe that this thing didn't have an evolution
Pikachu- Didn't take it too far once I just saw that Raichu was unimpressive stat wise.
Lampent- Hideously bad starting spells. Didn't really have any good ones coming up. Would have been passable, but without relearning, was a failure.
Snorlax- Cool. Awesome early. I didn't keep using it, although there's no reason I couldn't have.
Axem- Didn't really carry it's weight. I know it has to evolve, but it wasn't soon enough for me.
Roserade- YES. Toxic+65 Move Power that Doubles when target is poisoned=amazing super early combo. Roselia was clearly the best for that, in addition to just being good at staying alive.
Victrebeel- Eh. Not impressive.
Sigilyph- Cool at first, felt like it was hitting a damage wall for me. But was good
Hawlucha- Very cool and fun. Didn't take it all the way to th
Staravia- Wasn't bad, but just wasn't standing out.
Emolga- Held up well enough at first, but needed an upgrade.
Haunter- No trading, so as much of Gengarite was tempting, it wasn't going to happen.
Lunatone- It was okay. Never struct me as particularly special, but it worked for filler.
Krokorok- Fun to play with, albeit lacking damage. When I was running around with massively underlevelled Pokemon, accuracy down worked well.
Zoroark- Was not impressive
Durant- Late, so I didn't get to use it long, but held up well and did good damage.
Trevenant- Tried to make something on it, but it doesn't work so well.
Altaria- Late, but wrked well.

But still easy. They should really have Gym be hybrid elemental, because they are just jokes as of now. Two of the elite four were swept by the same overpowered Pokemon that the game throws directly at you. I guess I could have just used more underlevelled Pokemon to force more challenge.
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: June 29, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »
Final Fantasy Sea, Autobattle Me - Relevant discoveries of the day: Lost Number can be paralyzed and Materia Keeper is vulnerable to Stop. That's two out of four bosses who can be hilariously trivialized in the JENOVA event. Jenova BIRTH Elite is gonna -suck-, though. Double-acting with MT damage is -not- going to be fun on those power levels.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:03:15 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1709 on: June 29, 2015, 02:08:12 PM »
FFRK: Almost got Red XIII! I'm so super-excited for the adorable furball~

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: June 29, 2015, 02:19:42 PM »
The Red XIII sprite is indeed pretty sick. Got him, fed those Growth Eggs from the classic version up to L31. I'll do some equipment material grinding in order to level the other Diamond Pin and the Ten-Gallon Hat next. It's pretty funny watching a L31 Nanaki deal more damage than L56 Tidus due to stacking synergy bonuses.

EDIT: Annnnd one trip to the Heroic Daily Dungeon later, I have fully upgraded and combined Ten-Gallon Hat and a Rarity-6 Diamond Pin. I also got Sephiroth, but who the hell cares about him.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:24:18 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1711 on: June 29, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
Update @Red XIII: You're a kitty!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: June 29, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »
Final Fantasy Keep Your Children In Autobattle - Aw crap, Jenova Birth requires Sephiroth for one of its target scores and it has 200k HP on Elite. This is gonna suck so hard.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: June 29, 2015, 07:56:19 PM »
Fuck this I got my first 5*less 11x mithril pull
Nooooo

FFT: Last battle of chapter 1
This remains the hardest game everyone pretends is really easy. I swear everytime I play I get thrown in an alternate reality in which it is the hardest game ever.
I am getting one reset at least once every story battle despite having played it too many times already

I'm looking at a single character challenge faq and it's all "Oh Chapter 1 is really easy, just haste Knight Delita and he'll solo everything" and I'm like WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT everybody piles on him and he dies in one or two rounds.  How do you get anywhere with a single archer when my varied full team is getting wrecked. Why is this happening, I beat a bunch of FE hard modes.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: June 29, 2015, 08:17:08 PM »
Anyone who says FFT is easy is someone who has probably played it too many times and has no idea what they're talking about. For some reason it's fun to pretend FFs are easier than they actually are and FFT is no exception. As far as SRPGs go it's certainly way harder than the likes of Vandal Hearts.

That said C1 isn't tooo bad I don't think (Dorter Slums is a bit of a rude spike, and Zeakden's decent). ~70 Faith female/Ramza Wizards really make a mess of it (40 damage at the chapter start, 60 at the end with an element-boosting rod, range 4 AOE doesn't trigger counters which FFT has way too many of). Knight's actually okay in C1 as you discovered because of that HP/power lead outside of Wiegraf (a foreshadowing of how wretched they are in the duel).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: June 29, 2015, 08:25:02 PM »
Fire Emblem if: Apparently it's going to be called "Fates" in America. For a while I thought THIS was the FExSMT crossover, for a couple of reasons, not the least of which being that there's a game called Shin Megami Tensei if.

Anyway, for those that don't know, the premise is that your Avatar is a special snowflake Dragonborn-something-or-other who was born a prince of not!Japan but then was kidnapped as a baby and raised by the King of not!England as a prince and not told his own identity, and indeed even the actual Princes and Princesses think he's family. He's given a bullshit reason why he's not allowed to leave the kingdom, so he's raised among a close-knit family for his whole life until King of not!England decides to use him as some kind of trump card and sends him out to battle, whereupon he's captured by the army of not!Japan. The royal family of not!Japan quickly realizes his identity and are overjoyed at finding their long-lost brother and son, and quickly invite him to rejoin their family. After King of not!England activates his trap card involving special-snowflake Kamui (Avatar), the not!Japan army brings him to the frontlines of the battle, where both of Kamui's families are now staring eachother down and demanding that Kamui come back to them.

Ha wha? No. Kamui was hold hostage because of a hostage exchange. He was given to Not!England just like how Aqua was given to Not!Japan.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: June 29, 2015, 08:32:13 PM »
Fire Emblem if: Apparently it's going to be called "Fates" in America. For a while I thought THIS was the FExSMT crossover, for a couple of reasons, not the least of which being that there's a game called Shin Megami Tensei if.

Anyway, for those that don't know, the premise is that your Avatar is a special snowflake Dragonborn-something-or-other who was born a prince of not!Japan but then was kidnapped as a baby and raised by the King of not!England as a prince and not told his own identity, and indeed even the actual Princes and Princesses think he's family. He's given a bullshit reason why he's not allowed to leave the kingdom, so he's raised among a close-knit family for his whole life until King of not!England decides to use him as some kind of trump card and sends him out to battle, whereupon he's captured by the army of not!Japan. The royal family of not!Japan quickly realizes his identity and are overjoyed at finding their long-lost brother and son, and quickly invite him to rejoin their family. After King of not!England activates his trap card involving special-snowflake Kamui (Avatar), the not!Japan army brings him to the frontlines of the battle, where both of Kamui's families are now staring eachother down and demanding that Kamui come back to them.

Ha wha? No. Kamui was hold hostage because of a hostage exchange. He was given to Not!England just like how Aqua was given to Not!Japan.

I had thought I had read that in the promotional materials somewhere.  Glad to see it repeated.  Between that and the Djinn report stuff, I am getting kinda stoked about the game.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: June 29, 2015, 08:49:31 PM »
Anyone who says FFT is easy is someone who has probably played it too many times and has no idea what they're talking about. For some reason it's fun to pretend FFs are easier than they actually are and FFT is no exception. As far as SRPGs go it's certainly way harder than the likes of Vandal Hearts.

I agree with this but want to make an addendum of "looked up a lot of stuff ahead of time about the games!"  Though, FF7 and FF8 (super bosses not withstanding) I haven't seen anyone claim are hard in any stretch outside of occasional fights like Carry Armor (having just seen my sister fight Carry Armor, he's indeed legit as I remember.  Why is it the RANDOM ROBOT WITH CRANES ON IT one of FF7's best boss fights?  And it's not even "Good by FF7 standards", it's just straight up a good boss in general!)  and I suppose in FF8's case, it's very possible for someone to not understand how the game works (particularly junctioning), so I shouldn't say those games are straight up easy.

I think the most facepalm inducing "FF games are too easy!" statement was in regards to FF13, because "there's no penalty for dying, so it's super easy to beat anything!"  Um, not really; it just means FF13 doesn't waste your time as much as other games.  Dying 5 times to a boss in FF13 is no different than dying 5 times to a boss in another game; the main difference is that FF13 let's you get more practice in on the boss between each failure because you can jump right back in, on top of removing a lot of the frustration factor.  As a contrast, dying ONCE to Cloud of Darkness in FF3 (either version, assuming no save states) will cause way more frustration than dying multiple times to any FF13 boss, and not because she's so hard (though she's a good fight make no mistake), but because each death is 1-2 hours worth of lost progress.  A reset to any given fight in FF13 is maybe 10 minutes tops of lost progress.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: June 29, 2015, 08:53:08 PM »
Some other reports on FE if:

HP growth is recognizably lower in this game. The game also has a far more strict RNG on growth making tweaking states a lot harder.
This made the Black route significantly harder as you can't do any grinding on the route.

My Castle is abusive. You can find a friend to set up decent castle with nice shop and skill for you to conquer.
The combo of fetching the cash related skills from a friends castle and then purchase good stuff from a late game level castle is game breaking.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: June 29, 2015, 09:16:30 PM »

That said C1 isn't tooo bad I don't think (Dorter Slums is a bit of a rude spike, and Zeakden's decent). ~70 Faith female/Ramza Wizards really make a mess of it (40 damage at the chapter start, 60 at the end with an element-boosting rod, range 4 AOE doesn't trigger counters which FFT has way too many of). Knight's actually okay in C1 as you discovered because of that HP/power lead outside of Wiegraf (a foreshadowing of how wretched they are in the duel).

Oh yeah I definitely agree re: FF difficulty. (Except FF7/9, they're very easy eve if you know nothing about RPGs)
FFT takes the cake though. Very few people on the internet would consider Tactics Ogre less difficult for example. But really, it is.

I used a female black mage but she did way less damage (only had 50 faith). I was too lazy to recruit one with higher faith. Anyway most new players wouldn't know about elemental weapons boosting elemental damage, or brave/faith shennanigans, or female having higher magic etc.

BTW naming Ramza "You fool!" really really works. Especially in War of the Lions. It almost fits the dialogue all the time.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: June 29, 2015, 10:09:58 PM »
The part about elemental weapons is right there in the help description (but you do need to know about that I suppose) or you could reasonably figure it out by experimentation (even if you just do best fit you'll end up with one of the elemental rods for a huge part of the game, then you may start noticing that certain spells do more damage)... but yeah FFT explains brave/faith badly. (My first experience with Monk was a 40-something brave female, don't do what I do.) I'm kinda surprised you didn't know about the importance of Faith in 2015 I'll admit, but it's certainly a reasonable trap to fall into in general.

Agreed that FF7 through FF9 are indeed pretty damn easy (they have the odd moment, mostly some pretty good final bosses, the one place they are harder than FFT!). I can't objectively discuss TO difficulty due to playing it like 15 years after FFT (it was certainly easier for me personally) and you're probably talking about PSX anyway in which case no clue.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: June 29, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »
Tactics Ogre PSX difficulty is pretty much inversely proportional to the number of archers you use.  (This may or may not hold true for the PSP remake as well, which I can't actually authoritatively say is an improvement on the PSX version because it has so many design choices that are just bad and I sour on them more every time I play/think about it).

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: June 29, 2015, 11:04:57 PM »
I found Tacticss Ogre PSX considerably harder than FFT.  Between perma-deaths, the game having wonky mechanics and logic, and the fact that you really have to just grind a lot to win, no question I found FFT Easiser.  True I had some difficulty my first FFT playthrough (Riovanes as a whole), and it was a tough game but definitely found TO PSX a harder game than FFT.

And yeah, FFT does a crap job with Faith and Brave explanations.  I remember reading about them and it sounded like Faith only applied to Magic on the Defensive side.  Also I had a similar experience with Monk where I used a low brave character (wasn't necessarily female) and saw them hit for very disappointing damage.  I also used N Ninja Ramza with Hammers for a decent part of Chap 3 (I did learn pretty fast that Axes were crap at least!)

But anyway, onto a different Job System related game!

FF3 Dualplay:  Beat Tower of Owen, then went to Gishal and Town of Ancients.  So thoughts and such!

-Tower of Owen is completely opposite in both games.  NES version, the randoms are fairly competent, the dungeon can be taxing on your resources unless you bought a crap load of potions, enemies can hit hard, and they hurl status (as a side note, PC#2 remains the Butt Monkey for all enemy status effects.  Sure, when casting Mute on anyone else, it misses, but when you cast it on him?  IT HITS!  He's a Monk, so this of course was the worst thing in the world.)  Medusa, by contrast  is a complete push over, doing 5HKO damage to Monk (frailest PC to physicals given the set up; Mages are in Back Row which makes a HUGE difference, and Fighter is obviously much higher defense), and an inaccurate slow petrify spell.  The DS version, the randoms are pretty tame; only thing that might be scary is one enemy can cast Blizzara and it's rare.  The random encounter limit also shows up here; NES version you fight on average 3 to 4 enemies per fight.  DS version, you regularly fight 2 (even though it's capable of having 3), and unlike previous dungeons, enemies aren't stronger to compensate.  Medusa, on the otherhand, is the best boss fight thus far.  Her Ara spells hurt a lot (outside of the one character with the Mage Robe and even they take some notable damage), and her basic physical can inflict Silence, and given this is FF3, she always uses it every turn (sometimes twice, but that means she's not using an Ara.)  Worse yet, she has really high defense, so if your spellcaster gets silenced, it's hard to damage through her unless you've got a decent stock of expandable Ara casting items.  Speaking of her defense, that too is flipped, as the NES version, her physical defense is standard but her magic defense is pretty darn high, complete opposite of the DS version.

Not sure which I prefer.  On one hand, NES version is way more frustrating because every random gets on your nerves, but the DS version runs a serious risk of getting to the top of the tower (and it's not a short dungeon) only to die to the boss and have to redo everything all over again.  I guess it's like choosing what would you prefer? Constant punches in the arm, or one big smack of a hammer.  The former is going to consistently annoy you but the latter is going to hurt way more than all those other punches, but it's over and done with in one fell swoop...except that's a perfect parallel because the hammer in this case is waiting about 30 minutes before it actually swings, so you're sitting there with anxiety waiting for it to just drop <_<

-Again, reiterating that NES version handles dungeons better.  The DS version I twice in Tower of Owen went the right way when I wanted to get treasure and had to turn around since the draw distance is ass.  NES version, that didn't happen, because you can see 70% of the entire floor at once so when you go the right way and miss chests, you're more likely to turn around much sooner than the DS version. 
--As a side note, this is one thing I'll give FF4DS credit for.  While it still has this issue, it added a Minimap which marks your progress so you know where you've been and where the exits are, on top of rewarding you for 100% completion of each floor, giving you further incentive.  It doesn't fix the doubling back issue but it does make navigating smoother, at least.

-Sailing is better in the NES version.  Both versions have annoying encounter rates on the sea, and while the DS version allows for 8 directions as opposed to 4, the NES version moves notably faster.

-...on the other hand, the DS version has the constant map helping you keep track of where you are.  The NES version requires using Dwarf Breads for that, and only now Sight has finally showed up, though at least they were smart enough to make it a level 1 spell, which White Mage has plenty, but even then, the DS version still has the ever present Map so it still wins, especially when you get off the Floating Continent and Sight only shows a portion of the World Map, as the world gets much bigger.

-Tower of Owen is where Thief actually starts to stop lagging.  It's still way behind Warrior, but it's physical damage starts registering, especially after the 2nd Spark Dagger, which in addition to a considerable attack upgrade, also gives another +2 Agility; Thief is finally at a speed where it goes first a lot more regularly than others (though the randomness still exists.)  Interestingly, Tower of Owen is where the NES Monk starts to become somewhat more consistent.  It has more hits, and while still relying on Nunchaku's, the damage per hit is typically high enough that missing some isn't such a big deal.  Around this time is when fists start competing with nunchaku's too.  For reference, 3 Part + Tonfa is about 64 at 82% accuracy, unarmed is about 56 at 87% accuracy.  Haven't been using DS Monk, but in my experience, you always have it with Claws if you aren't JLevel grinding, since it's unarmed physical generally will not outdo Claw damage.
--For why I'm not using Monk in the DS version?  It's a short term investment I feel.  Thief has far more long term uses, especially since I intend to nab Gungnir, and better utility thanks to the speed.  Monk's fine for a fair amount of the game, but definitely reaches a point where it's damage isn't much better than other fighters, and they all have other qualities (be it having heavy armor, Speed/Back Row damage like Thief, Viking's Provoke tanking, etc.)  In the NES version, all Fighters are a short term investment regardless, since the game is set up that they get obsoleted by superior jobs later (Fighter -> Knight for example), and Thief doesn't exist in FF3NES this early anyway (though if it did, it'd be god awful, since it'd rely on Mithril Daggers.)

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: June 29, 2015, 11:05:28 PM »
Bullshit and you know it Elf.

Brave is Courage.

Also I expect given Fenrir that the 50 faith is way more "I couldn't be fucked rerolling recruits" more than not understanding the mechanics.

I can say as someone that compulsively reads about games well in advance of touching them if possible, foreknowledge of FFT doesn't help.  There is far too many moving parts with (comparable to other FF games) high risk outcomes.  Say what you will about Golem in FFT, it isn't full map 80% healing or anything

also ff13 is easy as fuck because it is just easy and plays itself this is mostly a joke please don't hate me

Edit - OH I reckon you should be trying to milk FFT for that Fenrirness.  Bring back that 50 faith mage.  Make that old hypothetical "best PVP" character build which was Female Ninja with Move +2 equipped with hand bag and threw hammers and axes at things.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:07:49 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: June 29, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
Also I expect given Fenrir that the 50 faith is way more "I couldn't be fucked rerolling recruits" more than not understanding the mechanics.

Yes
Though I didn't think the difference between 50 faith and 70 faith would be that big

Edit - OH I reckon you should be trying to milk FFT for that Fenrirness.  Bring back that 50 faith mage.  Make that old hypothetical "best PVP" character build which was Female Ninja with Move +2 equipped with hand bag and threw hammers and axes at things.
Oh man that does sound like a cool build. She will take forever to get to ninja though unless the future dancer/bard help a lot with spillover JP

TO is a bit rough at the very beginning (like FFT) but while people die instantly, casualties matter way less, and you should pretty soon find out that Archers and Canopus w/ bows = Win. Then you get the revival spell which is totally awesome. The game's over before FFT.
PSX TO and PSP TO are pretty similar difficultywise