Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194741 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #1475 on: June 13, 2015, 03:47:04 PM »
If only I'd found a way to do that.

Actually I used her the very first time I played the game because I saw "cavalier + earth affinity" and figured it was only chapter 7 so I could make the bad stats pay off (poor, naive, me). I didn't grind her up the way the thread did, but I did give her the Energy Drop + a couple levels of BExp + a really good forged weapon (hit matters even more than atk for her) + fished for kills wherever I could find them. She was terrible until late part 3, although she does eventually become pretty good which is more than I can say for Astrid I suppose.

Fire Emblem - Just beat Cog of Destiny, which means Hector is promoted. The main team is Hector, Florina, Fiora, Kent, Sain, Raven, Lucius, Priscilla, Serra, Pent, Louise, Heath, and Nino. Eliwood and Lyn both got badly speed-screwed so I ended up dropping them except for high-deployment maps, Guy was Str-screwed so I got him to Level 20 then dropped him. Matthew and Legault have both been used extensively but neither will be promoted. Heath and Nino are somewhat the result of my wanting to baby people for the Exp ranking, but Heath does pay off some in Night of Farewells and should be respectable the rest of the way. Nino, as a contrast to Fiona, is at least very easy to level (accurate, ranged damage with good offensive stats for her level), and promoted at the end of Cog of Destiny and killed Linus because whynot. Obviously not objectively worth it at all but a good reminder that she is far better than the true scrubs of the series. Currently have five stars in everything.

Hyrule Warriors - Think I'm approaching the burnout point for this game again. Not just yet though. Master Quest map is totally complete for things I care about (i.e. not heart containers), Twilight map is objectively quite fun though because of its high challenge level.

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - Oh wowww Emerald must have boosted Flannery a lot. Seriously between reverting her to a far inferior setup and levels being higher in AS (even without the Exp Share) the fight was just kinda sad. This is definitely Gen 3 "Gen 6-ified", with better random trainers and worse bosses (though not quite to the degree of gen 6?).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:28:35 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: June 13, 2015, 10:57:21 PM »
Roundabout: Finished. You can run over thousands of people and no one cares, but help out one anarchist with sufficiently poor fashion sense to have gauged ears in the seventies (or I guess any time) and suddenly the cops are all over you.

Evidently this game was made by one half of the party responsible for the Saint's Row 2 LP. I'm just going to suggest that this explains everything about Roundabout. Panzer is an agent of chaos.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: June 14, 2015, 01:09:24 AM »
Suikoden Tierkreis thoughts: What an odd game.  Finished it ~10 days ago as noted, but writeup time.  It has got some really strong elements and some really awful elements.  Luckily I'm the type of person who's happy to enjoy the good elements and gloss over the bad parts, but sheesh.  The bad parts are REALLY bad.  So I'm going to whine about that first.  Spoilers, of course.

The dungeon crawling is just...  horrible.  As is the combat.  This is a game where there's a person who's the Viki-esque person with the oft-noted plot power to teleport anywhere she's been before, and you *still cannot teleport on your own*.  (Outside of a few very specific points which she isn't even related to.)  And the game doesn't plot-accelerate you out of several dungeons, so you have to trudge back the exact same way you came.  And this all wouldn't be so bad if the dungeons were, y'know, interesting experiences, but they're incredibly bland.  Not too many doodads, just empty corridors that are zoomed in too close such that it happened more than once that I got turned around unknowingly after a battle.  I'm a person with a decent memory for such things, too.  The combat is wholly uninteresting autobattle nonsense, but I've accepted that for other games (other Suikodens!) so this isn't necessarily a killer.  I will say that if you're going to have easy randoms, make them like FF6 randoms which are at least very fast to fight.  Speed this up, darn it.

So...  a brief aside.  I have a friend who didn't like Silent Hill because he felt it was insufficiently difficult.  You know, you need to be scared in survival horror, so therefore he wasn't scared because he could hit nurses with a pipe all day or whatever.  This is...  silly.  Silent Hill is scary for other reasons.  Still, there's a limit to this. Effortlessly OHKOing Ganon in a Zelda game would be a huge anticlimax.  So there clearly does come a point where gameplay can be so easy that it dulls the desired feel of the game.

Okay, back to Tierkreis.  We all know, elite gamers here, that your average turn-based RPG is secretly rather easy.  You can give fancy moves to the enemy, but if you simply revive dead party members ASAP and perhaps occasionally heal, you're going to win eventually.  But you can still at least give the illusion of challenge.  Let it feel like an epic confrontation, even if you aren't really going to lose short of catastrophic errors of judgment.  Grandia II bosses are not particularly powerful, but dang if they aren't fun & rewarding to fight.  In the same way, I can appreciate a Suikoden boss fight that's supposed to be an epic struggle against a mighty foe that isn't ACTUALLY hard, but feels rewarding to defeat anyway.  And the plot sure does hype a lot of fights as difficult, complete with the party members panting afterward, that didn't threaten at all (or, in one case, that I literally one-rounded!).  But whatever!  It can work.  So...  a mostly good example: the HQ attack 3/4 of the way through the game.  If you look at the boss stats I posted, objectively speaking, these guys suck.  And...  it makes little sense from a plot perspective, too.  Why aren't they sending an army to support these guys?  Aren't they concerned about losing the precious Chronicles?  Why are they attacking from 3 directions at once?  And yet, who cares.  As a set piece - an excuse for a bunch of big fights, a chance for it to feel like recruiting all these dudes meant something - it's great.  ('sup, Mass Effect 2.)  You get to split up into 4 groups and take on 5 boss battles in a row.  Bring it on!  This is cool.  Sure, I'd rather they upped the difficulty on the bosses some, but I get what the game was going for here, and I like it.  It's like FF6's Narshe defense or XG's Shevat defense sequence.  You don't even WANT it to be super-super difficult if you have someone who really neglected their party members too much.

But...  I was ranting about the bad parts.  The game never replicates this again, despite having room for up to 5 (!) parties.  You have to make some other parties for an assault later on Cynas, and the fights are just...  awful.  I suppose the logic is you might have screwed up and only deployed one person, or be horribly underlevel, or something, but then just allow these other parties to be modified / grind after the fact.  Instead, if you bring a real force, your other parties get 1 battle each which are all *insanely* easy.  I'm talking "oh 2 enemies, you OHKO both with 2 actions while the other 2 party members twiddle their thumbs."  Kefka's Tower this is not.  Like...  rip off Kefka's Tower entirely.  Have 3-5 groups you can switch between and gear up / grind with all of them, and give them all *real* boss fights, and have them be right after save points.  This isn't even a break with series tradition, both Suiko3 & Suiko5 make you deploy 3 parties in the final dungeon (if for a much shorter period of time).  Look, I just want to have my other parties have something to do so that this is the 108 Stars of Destiny, not the 5 Stars of Destiny.  Letting me purchase from the Stars who are cooks / smiths / salesmen / etc. would be nice, too!  Ugh.

Now, after all this asking for more difficulty, or at least more fake difficulty (triple all endgame boss HP!), a complaint about something being too difficult.  The frue final is very fast and, late in his sequence, has a strong MT 2HKO.  And initiative is fairly random.  So even if you spam an MT healing spell every round, it's possible via luck of the draw to have your healing spell uselessly go first one round, boss uses MT doom, boss uses MT doom at start of next round, rekt.  This would be...  fine!  If you had a save point right before the boss.  You don't, so there's basically old Dragon Quest difficulty of "I hope the AI RNG doesn't screw me."  Granted, blitzing is not that hard and means that the number of chances for the boss to do this won't be very many, but it is possible, and if I'd run across it it'd have been frustrating, not fun.  As is, I didn't run into that, so it was a cakewalk, because if you don't get unlucky it's the usual "do you know that healing is a useful thing, if y win."  Still not a particularly rewarding win, and yet can still randomly wipe you if you're unlucky.  Ugh.

I'll add that while there's some joy in figuring out optimal setups, I think the Pokemon-esque 4 move limit was a mistake with a cast this large.  It just means there's a huge amount of bookkeepping to do every time you grab a new skill as you check what it is for every person and what you should take out for it.  Just manage this for me and auto-upgrade skills.  Every character gets a passive and 3 moves, and sometimes the passive / moves upgrade based on grabbing Chronicles.  There you go.  Would probably make characters *more* unique by forcing some more tough choices, too.

Moving on to plot whines...  hmm.  I don't think they really sold some of the heel/face turns well, or more generally "get" what the Order was up to in a proper sympathetic way.  I think it's perfectly fine to play with a point you want to criticize to make its bad implications more stark - the "futile acceptance" part of a world which is predestined, here.  And everybody knows religions can be hypocritical and inconsistent, so it's weird how The Order simultaneously crows about its predictions (Which are only useful if used to save lives - e.g. Macoute crowing about knowing about snowslides in the mountains) but also preaches that attempting to avoid disasters is pointless, but it's plausible, sure.  But that isn't the angle the PCs use; for some reason they seem to think that a predestined world clearly has no joy or happiness, which is weird.  For example, Chrodechild's argument to Fredegund (who, for being introduced as an OMG big time problem villain, ends up barely doing anything) is something along the lines of "I love you, how could that be true in a predestined world".  Pish posh, especially from what we see of Valfred's eternal day later on.  She could plausible have answered back that love exists BECAUSE the One King has predestined everything to be awesome, and it's perfectly compatible and why can't you see that.  I mean, come on, you can actually check what real-life Calvinists believe / believed, and at its strongest form you ended up with Candide-esque "God has ordained the BEST POSSIBLE WORLD which is AWESOME".

But hey, at least they tried to explain Fredegund.  Sophia, on the other hand, was apparently beat her up -> suddenly she is on our side because.  I guess maybe getting beaten up washes off vague nonsensical brainwashing?  It's still a bit of a clash, as it's implied that Dirk survives having a Chronicle implanted in him via some ubermenschen Triumph Of The Will type deal.  So it stands to reason that somebody else who survives this for a long time would also be a zealot.  But oh well, I guess this vague unexplained brainwashing that falls off after fighting is a bit of a staple in bad RPG tropes, so whatever.

While ST handled a multidimensions plot better than many, I think it was a poor choice to have the others called "The Infinity", though.  Worlds are getting munched in The Infinity?  By definition, they're probably getting munched then created all the time.  The game tries to hype this as a big thing, too, but this is really a bit too abstract...  are you willing to fight so that there will be invisible other dimensions maybe in the many-dimensions version of quantum mechanics?!  No?  You want me to care, do what Bravely Default did - there are 108 dimensions, and now there are only 5 left, better act now before they're all connected into one or something.

This is going to be general and vague complaint, and it isn't uncommon, but some of the plotlines didn't really seem to cohere.  For example, there's this bizarre incident in the home village of the Furious Roar where the bad guys attack, and you fight them, and win, then Dirk comes by and says "lol thanks for the distraction we win!!1!" and Diluf is all "clearly you are the real demons."  Okay, so I guess Dirk stole the Chronicle while we weren't looking and then Diluf has horrible judgment about who to trust.  Except...  the Chronicle isn't actually stolen?  So...  what did Dirk do he was bragging about then and why would Diluf even be mad?  (Incidentally, that Chronicle DOES get stolen...  later...  and it goes to Dirk, who was crowing about stealing it here...  so I have to wonder if they stuck in two different spots for it to be stolen, and then half undid one spot after they realized they didn't want to have the same Chronicle stolen then recovered twice in a row.) 

Some of the characters were pretty lame, but I guess that's to be expected with 108 stars.  I'll call out a few in particular:
* Zenoa.  Ugh.  Zerase was terrible too and they decided to recreate her.  "lolol you suck and I disrespect you and I know the plot but I'm not going to tell you but will help you anyway."  Don't get me wrong, you can't tell the plot to the player too early, and I'm fine with having characters inexplicably delay on telling you key details, but don't draw attention to this fact unless you ACTUALLY have a narrative reason to do so (e.g. Citan).  Especially weird since she knows the true nature of the One King yet doesn't warn you off the bad end, because...   because.  They never explain WTF is going on with Ordovic & her's "resurrection" either, although I suppose that's okay.
* Icas & Morrin.  Okay, token womanizer, even cartoonishly played up, fine.  But Morrin wants Our Heroes to...  what...  kidnap her lost love who very openly is not the type to settle down with one person?  This is...  pathetic.  And for whatever reason these idiots get tons of scenes and never have any character development, or at least other characters commenting on the lack of ability to grow up.  Could have been okay as a side joke, was expanded into something lame instead.
* Buchse.  What, you say?  The random silent gunner with no lines?  How can he be lame, he's just there to show Geschutz has some reports!  Well he gets one scene in the final castle bit, and it's really dumb.  He takes a shot at whoever was coming through the door, and somehow misses.  (This is Our Hero, and he's apparently aiming at Tsaubern because he was annoyed at him or something.)  Wat.  Talk about failed humor.  Lol I tried to murder someone but I suck so lucky, I'll apologize for not trying to murder the right person for no reason?

There was some plot wonkiness with the final showdown, too, aside from the poor life decision to have it only be 1 party.  So... the last Chronicle attacking us really was just a rando-test?  And...  no final plot twist with respect to the final boss?  Obviously referring to my earlier speculation that it'd be Atrie or alternate-dimension hero or the hero's father or something.  Definitely missing some plot there, I think it was a bad call to just make it the equivalent of a giant space monster.  Even worse is that it's apparently involuntary mind control space monster, since he's all thankful after you beat him up.  This is a horrible choice in a Suikoden game: the villain needs to choose their path voluntarily, even if for some crazypants reason.  It's not very much of a clash of beliefs or ideologies to face off against a guy who can't even defend why having 1 star was needed.  It's not that hard: some horrible threat arose and the only way to stop it was to CONTROL FATE BY EATING STARS or something, I dunno, this wouldn't be great but it'd be something.  It's especially weird since normally you can at least transfer "blame" for a mind control plotline to whoever's doing the mind control, but there's no entity that ever explains why some random Tenkai Star got forced into doing this, or why Our Hero would too in the Bad End.  Like, control fate, fine, but what *for*?  I'd assume it'd be the priorities of that Tenkai Star, not a new mission of "evangelize controlling fate and eat worlds."  Bah.  Some real missed opportunities.  Not that it would necessarily have made tons of sense for Atrie to be the villain, but crazy melodramatic twists are worth something if it puts some personal stakes on the table for that final fight.

Okay, this was long and ranty, so let me talk about the good parts.  ST gets across the implications of these "world-combination" plotlines WAY better than the vast majority of media that dips their toe here (e.g. the likes of FF5).  I really like how they try and figure out the implications, and how lots of them are not good!  e.g. the mountain expert who becomes a senile crazy old man when his mountains mostly disappear, Maybelle going totally crazy, everybody knowing to avoid the weird wasteland to the northwest of Pharamond (but hey, the monsters are passive, they've never attacked us in the past!  ...true...)  It's a little weird how some worlds are blatantly "exactly the same people as ours" while others are apparently radically different, but whatevs.  Anyway, I liked that massive adjustments of reality actually got noticed and had implications.  I also think that The Order was all in all an interesting villain; nobody else seems to have a religion, which as we all know from both Civ5 and real-life, makes it hard to resist prostletyization.  Much easier when you can say "nope, we already found God and you're really servants of a demon" than "uh, sure, you offer eternal happiness, but YOU'RE WRONG" or something.  Mentioned this already, but I liked the Hero / Dirk plotline as well.  The final castle scene pretty good, along with more generally all the interaction you could do - I whined about some characters above, but the others were memorable / amusing enough in their own way, even if they often had too little to do.

So.  In conclusion, the combat is bad.  Alas.  But I liked some of the plot, so yay.

Next up: Another old RPG.  In fact, an RPG that I used to vote on in the old DL despite not really playing the game.  We'll see if it lives up to the hype.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:23:33 AM by SnowFire »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: June 14, 2015, 03:39:47 AM »
Captain Toad: What the hell game?  We face main villain and you beat him with GIANT TURNIPS! Seriously! Where's your idea of INTENSE BATTLE and BAD ASS RIVAL SHOW DOWN!!

At least the credits are rolling and so the game is over.

*Episode 2 now unlocked*

ffffffff
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1479 on: June 14, 2015, 05:42:50 AM »
Re: Snowfire on Suiko Tierkreis
That is a very measured and accurate review of Suikoden Tierkreis. You brought up a lot more bad points in the game than I remembered. I suspect the good parts of the game stick with the player more than the bad in this particular game, so perhaps you will have fonder memories of it than during the actual experience of the game. That last paragraph at least, is something worth mentioning. ST does a better job of this 'merging dimensions' plotline than any other take on it I've seen in -any- media, games, TV, or novels. I'm sure it's been done better -somewhere-, but the little details and the overall premise of the Order and how our heroes go about figuring out what's happening is really well done and worth being lauded.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: June 14, 2015, 06:23:55 AM »
I agree with all the criticisms about the gameplay but generally cared far less. It has bad gameplay, that kinda sucks, but I'm pretty accepting of games that only do one of plot or gameplay well, so long as they definitely do it well. And at least ST's gameplay isn't brutally time-wasting or feature long loading times. (I bring the last point up particularly because S5, a similar game in terms of gameplay and story worth, features said loading times. I do think S5 is better anyway, mind.)

For Sophia, I haven't played the game as recently and don't have a great memory of that particular scene, but I thought her dad getting through to her was a big part of it? RPGs lean pretty heavily on "defeat = friendship" but I didn't have a huge issue with that scene due to Nova's presence.

Icas/Morin were indeed quite lame, and gunner guy I barely remember sounds like it too, but I didn't have too big a problem with Zenoa. I wouldn't call her a favourite by any means, but I liked her design and found her smarm to be more endearing than Zerase's dismissiveness. I'd really rather read more about which characters you liked than which you disliked!

I like the Order a lot but it's true that they don't always explore the philosophical arguments they could have properly, definitely agree on the Chrodechild/Fredegund scene you quote.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: June 14, 2015, 07:04:57 AM »
Yeah it was more my post was getting extremely long so I cut off some more potential ramblings.

Djinn, mentioned it in chat, but yes, I'm the type of person happy to defend FF8 for its strengths and ignore its weaknesses, so ST is a bit similar.  Also FF8's battles, while also easy, let you have nice eye candy and over-the-top Limits so felt slightly more rewarding than ST.  Dunno.

For Suiko5, I wonder if old, bitter SF could handle the battles nowadays!  I never thought the loading times were THAT bad despite knowing others complained about them.  I shudder to attempt to find out, though.

Nova's presence helped sell Sophia's conversion a little, but it didn't work the first two times but does work the 3rd time, and the difference is that the 3rd time you beat her up.  Still, fair point.

For characters I liked...  well the Hero is pretty big on the list!  Similar issues to how in Mass Effect, Shepard is weirdly enough one of the best characters, so it's a good one to pick.  Most of the Citro crew was fine too.  Since I *mostly* liked the Order plotline, the Greyridge crew + Darrow/Savnia worked well enough as well (although random dude trapped in an alternate dimension doesn't count, too random and too few lines.  Lubberkin?).  I mostly liked the Auster plotline, so Vaslof & Resno (but not Muro, per earlier complaints)...  they sold both some of the implications of the world-merging AND gave them a solid excuse to join the bad guys AND gave them a solid excuse to leave, so well done.  The Porpoise priestess whose name I forget was amusing enough in her schtick, and I also liked both the Lonamakua pirates & Hina (despite never ever using the pirates in battle).  I was also pleasantly surprised that they didn't go full CK fanservice mode on Yula and have h0t lesbian princess-on-princess action or the like, which was frankly what I was expecting, and instead were a bit more subtle and gave out an appropriate amount of both hints & mystery.  Tsaurabern (Ritterschild noble guy) was also amusing enough for his tiny role, I liked that they acknowledged that people could PROBABLY puzzle out what was really going on if they kept careful track of events.  Lastly, I liked giving the devil their due a bit with Rizwan, who's presented rather antagonistically yet nevertheless helps save Salsabil with the Chronicle, which makes sense.  (They, uh, kinda forgot to include either a tragic ending for Manaril OR have some quest / explanation for how she got better, but oh well, whatevs.)

The Scribe's Village & Furious Roar camp were okay, served their role I suppose.  Magedom folk I'm a bit more conflicted on in general, I like some of the broad arcs but dislike some of the specifics there, and they totally should have had Shams RIP (have more nice characters we like die), but oh well.

But yeah, in general I liked most of the ST cast, so there's a lot of it to go through!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:06:38 AM by SnowFire »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1482 on: June 14, 2015, 07:56:59 AM »
Porpoise priestess is the best. Ninulnina I think her name is? I kind of want someone to avatar her "Praise Be To The Lord" portrait. Mostly Tal. I always think of Tal when I think of Ninulnina.

Though, bringing her up, that IS another religion in the game that does oppose the Order.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: June 14, 2015, 12:52:55 PM »
Games night yesterday, we played Towerfall for 2 hours, then tried Smash Bros Melee for 10 minutes, then went back to Towerfall for 3 hours.
The new king is here
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:25:41 PM by Fenrir »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: June 14, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
I started up VP2 last night after some crazy person's speedrun reminded me it'd been in line for replay for a long time. It's nice to be back. Smashing enemies literally to pieces remains very viscerally satisfying, although thus far [played through the super short first two chapters] everything is much more stupidly easy than I'd remembered. The opening FMV still looks pretty great, in-engine cutscenes less so. There's a lot of the general murkiness you get when something not designed for HD is subjected to it, but they still packed in an admirable amount of detail for a PS2 game. Environments are crammed with lots of random bric-a-brac, even NPC houses you never need to visit (I am being really thorough and doing the Talk to Everyone thing just because it's been so long since I played this), and it's probably not news that I like seeing effort applied to making places feel lived-in.

Dylan is curiously knowledgeable. Also Lezard's battle VAs really clash with the humble persona he tries to affect in cutscenes, which really should've been a clue the first time I played the game but I guess I didn't question him much for the same reason I didn't give Dylan a second thought: I was too busy yelling "Leone is obviously Hrist why isn't anyone doing anything about this?" at the entire cast to suspect anyone else. VP2 more smartly written than we should expect from a Tri-Ace game (at least until everything completely falls apart in the last chapter).

I forgot Dallas wears a dog collar. I know you want to accessorize guy and that's okay but please rethink your life decisions.

EDIT: you know what's weird after maining PS4 games for a few months? Going back to a Sony controller that didn't weigh ten pounds.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: June 14, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »
Necrodancer: I played this game all day instead of cleaning. Haven't yet cleared Zone 4 with Cadence, but have unlocked everything else. The game is pretty hard in that you can be doing wonderfully through the entire run then OH SHIT 10 DUDES ON THE SCREEN TIME TO MANAGE ALL THEIR GIMMICKS fuck fuck fuck no lost the rhythm SHIT dead.  Bows are OP, Whips are probably better but require you to be good.  Glass weapons are for people who suck less than I do. Obsidian is probably my favorite upgrade path because it rewards having rhythm but doesn't punish you terribly for getting flustered and getting hit.

This game is great. Half off on steam for the sale.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1486 on: June 14, 2015, 04:28:42 PM »
FFRK: For those still playing this off and on, (game seems to have run its course here, which is fine, though my own reasons for playing it still haven't changed so I guess I'll still be mentioning it as I play on the daily train ride) the Global version is giving out a free 5-star sword for signing in today. Nice! Tidus and Wakka are now both over level 50 and sporting cool new Record Materia (and a 5-star sword). I also did another 11-relic draw and got two 5-star weapons! Both of them Tomes exclusively for the recordkeeper Tyro. Dammit. Well, at least I got two of them so I can give him a cool new Soul Break AND have a 6-star weapon (even if it sucks). I guess he'll be cool when I can break the level cap with him.

FFD: Beaten again. The ending is still really satisfying.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: June 14, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »
the Global version is giving out a free 5-star sword for signing in today.

Why the fuck can't Cyan use Zantetsuken?  It's a broadsword despite having the sprite of a Japanese sword.  *facepalm*

Got Tidus, working on getting their memory crystals.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: June 14, 2015, 05:38:53 PM »
Because Cyan is the worst.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: June 14, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »
"We badly need to boost Cloud and nerf Cyan"

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: June 14, 2015, 06:40:56 PM »
Okay guys I admit it I'm the one behind FFRK pc balance

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: June 14, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Okay guys I admit it I'm the one behind FFRK pc balance

i knew it

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: June 14, 2015, 10:12:53 PM »
Zantetsuken/Scimitar is actually classified as a sword in FF6, so RK is technically being mostly true to the source material there. Sadly for Cyan RK doesn't allow for compatibility to be set on a per-weapon basis like FF6 does, so he gets screwed even though he could technically equip it in FF6.

Also I should mention that I spend more time reading about Record Keeper than actually playing it these days. The setups people use to take on elite event bosses are interesting, but repeatedly forcing closing the app until the RNG stops being a dick isn't. Farming orbs for ability honing endlessly is not my idea of fun, either. My short term goal is to wait for a half-decent spear user who isn't named Kain and doesn't have Mage-tier HP and defense like Gordon. Long term goal is to wait for PC Gilgamesh, who is a brilliant idea on the developers' part. In the meantime, I'll spend 30-60 minutes a day autobattling when I want a mindless time killer and reading up on the more interesting mechanics stuff occasionally.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:29:03 PM by hinode »

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: June 14, 2015, 11:34:16 PM »
Apparently there will be a thing (which JPN already has) where if you keep a piece of equipment with a soul break equipped you'll eventually master that soul break, and then will be able to use the soul break without having to stick with that equipment, and switch between soul breaks as desired depending on situation, so I think I will keep all of Tyro's books (yeah I pulled both Healing and Sentinel in the same draw too, along with a FFVII Murasame and some random lesser stuff~) for now~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1494 on: June 15, 2015, 02:31:07 AM »
FFRK: And... the Vivi event is live. (Okay it is technically a Garnet event, but you can get Vivi so that's what matters.)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: June 15, 2015, 08:37:13 AM »
It's a trap, the farming simulator event is still up and you should spend all your time there

Edit: my core white/black mages are almost level 50, four other characters are level 50, all my 3* + armor is upgraded to max and most of my weapons also are, I have a bunch of exp eggs and 1 million gils

Hinode, I really think this saving/loading thing is The Dark Side, don't give in and you won't have a miserable time
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:08:14 AM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: June 15, 2015, 10:49:51 AM »
Screw everything, I already got Vivi and I'm about to recruit Garnet. Since both Vanille and Lenna are already L50 and I can't imagine they'll release their Memory Crystals anytime soon, I'll just raise those two and Tidus. Not being Kain-reliant good.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: June 15, 2015, 11:20:41 AM »
You were only ever "reliant" because you let yourself be.  You could have taken the moral high ground and run a party of 4.

Also bollocks to that Fenrir, gotta get another 50 Mithril pull in before Soul Break events are over.  Gil and EXP are stamina locked, piles of Mithril is time locked.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: June 15, 2015, 11:28:23 AM »
Yeah but the farming simulator event will end way before the FF9 event.

When it's exp day you should drop everything and get exp. Well this event is exp day + gil day + armor upgrade day + weapon upgrade day for a week. And you can also get some exp eggs. It is ridiculous. Heroic difficulty is also super easy this time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:30:30 AM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: June 15, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
You were only ever "reliant" because you let yourself be.  You could have taken the moral high ground and run a party of 4.

I'm already playing this game, moral high grounds are entirely lost on me - particularly when the game handed me a five-star spear early.

I already capped the Gold Saucer event. I'll use the event to raise Garnet and Vivi some anyhow (Tidus also could use the XP, he's only level 37), but recruiting the FF9 folks is higher priority and I'm almost there anyway.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:39:34 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »