Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194785 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #900 on: April 12, 2015, 01:38:16 AM »
Well "standard industry product" -> Corporate / focus tested to hell / ubisofty. These games have less potential for disaster, but aren't going to be that interesting.
For a Souls game that's damning, since they got successful in part by breaking videogame conventions (here, a fake screen http://i.imgur.com/pYpAfgh.jpg) and putting some really weird fascniating elements in there.

I still find the spark is there in Dark Souls 2, in simple things like the sex change coffin and the pit in Majula.

Oh yeah I've actually been really enjoying Strider Gourryuh on PS4 and it is one of the most corporate games I've tried lately. It looks like Strider (with gorgeous environments) but doesn't really play like Strider, it's a Metroidvania and you can take a million hits. Instead of like 3. The speed is so fast, I feel like playing Mario 2 with Luigi and jumping above everything.
Also you have a digital scarf that can change color with the D-pad.

Dark Souls 2:
I've died 5 times without even beating a boss, that's what I get for trying to main daggers.
Here is what happens with daggers: You use them early on, you find them pretty good, you switch for another weapon anyway, but you still think that daggers could have been viable.
WRONG.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 12, 2015, 02:17:58 AM »
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. - Mission 2 cleared, I can has a Lion, who by himself opened a really good array of strategic mobility options. That's just how freaking good Lion Launch is. GRANTED, unlocking secondary weapons is also cool beans and also works into making the whole thing more flexible. I also learned save points are a thing and also have tons of strategic use, since you can heal an agent/party once per point for a sum of coins. And now that I'm getting used to the interface, I'm actually seriously digging this game as of now.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 12, 2015, 04:12:14 AM »
Dark Souls 2:I've died 5 times without even beating a boss, that's what I get for trying to main daggers.
Here is what happens with daggers: You use them early on, you find them pretty good, you switch for another weapon anyway, but you still think that daggers could have been viable.
WRONG.

Daggers are totally viable man, here's what you do:

-Backstab a lot if it's vulnerable to backstabs
-Burn an ascetic in Earthen Peak to get another Mytha's for everything that's vulnerable to poison
-Cry a lot if something's immune to backstabs and poison

I wouldn't defend them as good, but better than expected, sure. Dual dagger setup is definitely viable if you're fine with using weapons that are basically marginally faster but weaker caestuses that don't benefit from the godly strike element. Uh. Look, it worked fine when I did it just pumping DEX and ADP through the roof.

Anyway, Astraea is up to the Dragon Aerie. I wish Dark Souls 2 let you actually see your current HP (why doesn't it?) because I'm pretty sure I was sitting at all of 1 HP when I beat Darklurker. Now I can look forward to never dealing with that fucking quest ever again (I only bothered here because I wanted max miracle casting speed). Anyway, on a whim I tossed on Gilligan's scimitar for a backup weapon and it's working out pretty well. Fast two-handed R1, hits a broad arc, slightly stronger than the mace for me (minimal physical stats, 12 STR/DEX, everything's going into ATT/FTH) so only loses out vs armored jerks. The Sacred Oath/Sunlight Blade buff machine is in effect and I can put out 2,000 damage in a couple seconds if I'm free to burn through a whole stamina bar (of course I'm sure DLC elemental resists will spit on this strategy like they usually do).

There are more Don't You Dare! messages. Whyyyyyyyy. Also I don't know how to get into the locked wing of Aldia anymore, never found the key in the usual spot. Speaking of treasure I couldn't get, there are actually a couple of loot drops I've never managed to access in any run through Dark Souls 2:

-Lower Tseldora, the item in the house sticking out from the wall just over the vortex (beneath the roof the crystal lizard scurries over in vanilla DS2). How do you even get in there? I always fell into the pit whenever I tried.

-Harvest Valley, there's a large mutant behind a wooden wall, which he punches down. Shiny things lurk on the other side of another wooden wall behind him. I presume you're supposed to get him to punch it down but I've always been too scared to stand in the way and bait the attack.

I have actually taken a dive off the bridge below the Grave of Saints to pick up the Disc Chime, because I wanted it to accompany a Dragonslayer Spear build. Stuck the landing first try, definitely worth the risk for aesthetics alone but mechanically can't recommend it any grounds really. It's a functional thing for casting Sacred Oath, that's about it.

I was really hoping the rerelease would see the covenant ranking requirements for Blue Sentinels and Bloodbros cut down to something sane, but sadly this appears not to have happened. Gawd why. So WotG still not realistically attainable short of NG++.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 12, 2015, 07:16:11 AM »
Tactics Ogre: The Man Who Would Be King- Finished.

So, mentioned this in my stat topic update, but hinode was right all those ages ago.  The would-be King of Valeria can prepare for the capture of Heim via boldly heading into the swamp where he slaughters octopi and their foul worshippers alone in the muck, and suddenly be much more powerful.  This.  is.  stupid, but better a stupid option (like grinding back up Arycelle's loyalty - which weirdly enough skyrocketed for some reason later, she became super loyal) than no option, I suppose.  I like to imagine Denam said "This is for Leonar" before killing Catiua, but no, things proceeded as they always do, she's just as crazy as ever.  The only thing you fear is your brother deserting you, and so you desert him, and when he comes back you do...  that.  Got it.

The battle with Brantyn is still pretty awesome, one of the best in the game.  He's one of the very rare highly damaging mages; why is he so awesome at it when the others aren't?  But he's balanced by having his 'tank' line be largely Terror Knights wielding 2H weapons, which, well, they've got Rampart Aura so they make you deal with them, but they aren't ACTUALLY annoying supertanks like Knights or Golems.  So it's reasonable to whittle you way through 'em while also being able to have Canopus dive the backlines and assassinate other clerics / mages.  Good times.

While on the Terror Knight note, Dievold was a pleasant surprise.  PC Terror Knights are actually okay since you'll be smart enough to equip Spellstrike, so they can toss out reasonably solid Paralytic Waves before engaging or if not in range, and Sleep is actually pretty decent if you can't close, too.  Against bosses or annoying knights with Phalanx, Drain Power is quite solid: certainly spamming Drain Power on the final boss was quite helpful to see fewer of his ultimates.  And if you want/need to actually kill a supertank dragon or golem, Frightened is pretty useful for speeding up the clock.  So yeah, he was alright, although dat speed.

Hanging Gardens were just as boring as ever, although the Andoras fight is good fun.  I cannot imagine how many horrible accidents Dorgalua's servants had navigating it.

Surprisingly enough, Lord path gets to actually do a minor bit of Kingdom Policy post-Heim: after checking the Interwebs, I was surprised to learn that you actually want to ignore soldiers in your own army raping & looting Heim, mostly because it makes recruiting Cressida easier in the Chaotic path.  I can see it now: "Why won't you join me Cressida?"  "You jerk, you punished rapists.  You don't have the backbone or moral fiber to lead and make tough calls."  Uh huh.  Interesting, anyway, it's a classic hard problem even if the effects are wacky.  (The Galgastani & Walister army you just lead like it if you let 'em off the hook, but the Bakram hate you.  If you punish them, it's the reverse.) 

On that note, worst assassin ever.  Checking the loyalty of new recruits, the Walister liked me, the Galgastani were okay with me, and the Bakram hated my guts.  So clearly I should be assassinated by unhappy Bakram supporters, right?  Nope, it's Walister fanatics yelling "Glory to the Walister" that gun me down.  YOU MORONS, you have one of your own on the throne, lay off the crazy pills man.  It's a small touch, but I wish they slightly adjusted the ending based on which faction hated you the most and having that faction kill King Denam.  Also Cistina/Cerya you are FIRED from running my security, run guests through the darn fusil detector.

I do kinda like how the game portrays Denam being King at least: he got there the way many royal dynasties get there, by having the first guy basically be a warlord who conquers the place with an army, then his supporters say hooray he's a noble king.  Less surprise royal blood from nowhere, more "me and my 11 friends with swords all say I'm King, you agree, right?  Right?"  And that this approach doesn't always work, either.

Anyway, fun times, but I really doubt I will do the aftergame, again.  Especially since Lord ending inexplicably locks you off from the Coda or something, along with already not having Gildas who's needed to unlock a major aftergame quest.  I guess I could World tarot back and cruise through Law on EZ mode and get a Princessy ending, but that'd be really boring, so no.  Alas.

Back to Awakening equal-XP, most likely.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:22:39 AM by SnowFire »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 12, 2015, 07:24:05 AM »
-Lower Tseldora, the item in the house sticking out from the wall just over the vortex (beneath the roof the crystal lizard scurries over in vanilla DS2). How do you even get in there? I always fell into the pit whenever I tried.

-Harvest Valley, there's a large mutant behind a wooden wall, which he punches down. Shiny things lurk on the other side of another wooden wall behind him. I presume you're supposed to get him to punch it down but I've always been too scared to stand in the way and bait the attack.

There's some fancy jumping and dropping required and the reward isn't worth it whatsoever.  I don't even remember what it was other than disappointment.

Yeah, that's exactly what you gotta do.  There's an Old Knight Halberd and some other decent goodies in there.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 12, 2015, 10:34:41 AM »

The drop in Tseldora is a Large Titanite Shard. It actually doens't involve anything fancy at all. Walk/roll off onto the roof and then very carefully drop from it down to the ledge sticking out next to the door. Don't get owned by sorcerers casting at you while you try to do this.

For Harvest Valley, yes, just bait him. It's actually not that scary. The ambush before that fellow with four Edward Hookhands is way scarier.

Cid: Do you know the exact machinations of what RoB and Sacred Oath do on infused weapons? I'm running both, plus the Thunder Clutch Ring and Flynn, with a +5 Lightning Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe. Supposedly it's one of the weird weapons (along with Black Knight weapons and other weapons with innate elements that upgrade with Twinkling Titanite or Petrified Dragon Bones) that don't get hit with the 50% nerf on RoB/Sacred Oath despite having elemental damage, but it's unclear whether this is true if you infuse them on top of all of that. I've read on separate sources that they either retain the full bonus or a larger share than 50% (like some site quoted 80%) and I have no idea whether it's total BS or not.

Mainly I need to know because the lightning infusion pumps up other things (better raw base stats, albeit split; better synergy with Sunlight Blade; 45 AR out of the Thunder Clutch Ring instead of 30) but if it renders RoB/Sacred to be inefficient, I'll want to tweak my build some.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 12, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »
Ring of Blades gives only half the attack bonus to elementally-infused* weapons, same goes for Flynn's Ring. Consequently, I don't find either of them worth the ring slot when using elementally-infused weapons. Note that this reduction does not apply to weapons that innately have elemental damage, which can make stuff like the Chaos Rapier insanely good because you can stack RoB/Flynn's/buffs all at once. Supposedly some reduction applies to Sacred Oath too but I'm not really sure how much.

If there's a different degree of damage reduction for weapons that innately have elemental damage and are subsequently infused elementally, I'm not sure what it would be. Never heard that before, but I also rarely use a weapon like that (I rarely even use elementally-infused weapons, save for wholly physically incapable casters like Astraea). EDIT: noting that it was confirmed in chat that this is true, RoB is reduced to like 80% instead of 50%. How totally random. Also Flynn's apparently doesn't care about anything. Flynn's is amazing.

(*Raw-infused weapons still get the full bonus, which is why Black Scorpion Stinger is too good. Speaking of, anyone found this thing in Scholar? The normal mimic drop in Doors of Pharros is not there and I have no idea where they moved it. Maybe making friends with Tark actually gives you his weapon instead of a crappy ring this time, should probably go talk to him.)

Just don't ask me how mundane works, I have no goddamn idea.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:27:23 AM by El Cideon »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 12, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »
Dark Souls 2: Tried co-op with Cid, got some mega lag.
We fought Pursuer on the rooftop. The eagle did some trippy strobe effects and dropped Pursuer in the mountain range in the background instead of, you know, the rooftop. Except he was still there in Cid's game.
I realize now that I should have used this chance to get in front of Cid and spam him with emotes.

Ring of Blades pretty much doubled my damage so the daggers are not as terrible now? I'm still really looking forward to that precious twinblade. My build will be Twinblade + Magic Weapon + Some pyromancy to compensate for the repair mechanic.

As far as surprises go, I really liked Dennis the menace (what a jerk) and that key in the chest in Lost Bastille. "This room has always been surprisingly empty, I'm sure they've added something to it" -> "...Guess not" -> "....I FUCKING KNEW IT"

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 12, 2015, 08:08:18 PM »
What I take from this experience is that Fenrir is invincible and can teleport at will.

It's really weird because Bloodborne was lag-free when we tried co-op there.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 12, 2015, 09:08:46 PM »
Some things never change.

I suppose PC Dark Souls was finish for me when hackers weren't being completely invincible.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 12, 2015, 09:45:21 PM »
Also Cid's voice is A+ would hear again.

Pursuer Souls 2: I now have a neon blue twinblade +6. I'm pretty sure this is the best way to main twinblades (two handed, magic weapon) but they're not really fancy. Lots of variety but high commitment and low range. Fun to use at least. Makes me want to do a neon blue giant club run.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: April 12, 2015, 09:48:47 PM »
Flynn actually worked with infused weapons the whole time.  Not scaling properly was an interface bug.  Community tested and From fixed the bug in 1.10 patch.  Not sure about RoB though.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 13, 2015, 12:36:47 AM »
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. - Currently in mission 5-2, where an obscure character from Moby Dick joins our forces. Previously, we had a Lovecraftian Beast punched in the face by Abe Lincolnzord (yes). Right now, I'm pretty much accostumed to the interface shenanigans and the clunkiness rarely bothers me anymore (helps being able to control the camera more precisely using both buttons and the stylus). To make matters better, map design is actually sorta cool, even though there's way too much goal-reaching as of now. So far, the characters I've gotten that I've managed to get a handle on:

Henry Fleming - You know, I keep thinking that I should be more impressed than I am here, but I'm just not so sure. On paper, Henry's pretty solid: shoving things around is a pretty useful tool to extend reach for your other team members (the same way it is in Fire Emblem), his base weapon has high maximum damage and it's easy to use and it also means he's the best overwatch PC so far. This said, his durability isn't so hot and he needs to be close to his targets in order to actually do the damage he wants - and off typical distance, he usually misses a shot out of three. Not a great combo. His special attack (Eagle Strike), however, is really good: a high damage, long range, AoE thrown projectile that deals 220 damage to everything it reaches. That alone props him up a lot. Still, he feels like he should work better than he does on average.

John Henry - His Bear Grenade is great utility, but honestly deals less damage than I'd like. 65 damage off 4 steam and no overwatch can be pretty sketchy. ON THE OTHER HAND, its arc trajectory makes for great sniping and the mild AoE is good for spreading damage. Exploding golden crates and most scenery is also pretty helpful, though it can be replicated by other subweapons later on. Decent durability too, for all that Heavy Boilers aren't great for flexibility. His special is also pretty solid at melee range - AoE 150 damage + scenery breaking is decent.

Lion - Dear god, Lion Launch -rules-. For starters, it's amazing for mobility. Sometimes letting you cheat movement limitations and letting you jump between places is just great shakes. Then, it's also oddly useful for offense - 75 damage for 4 steam is less bang for your buck than I'd like, but it leaves Lion close to his enemy and often at a prime position for hitting weak points. That's great synergy with weapons like the Steam Crossbow (which he starts with) and the Steam Shuriken. Game-best HP and a passive that raises the -entire team's defense- pad him out. The special isn't -great, but stunning isn't bad utility. MVP so far.

Tiger Lily - Bad HP and uses the same boilers as Henry, which isn't a great start. Medi-Mortar is an amazing weapon for your party's survivability, though: AoE 50 HP healing for 4 Steam is crazy efficient (the next best is the Med-Carbine, which is ST 20 HP healing for 2 Steam. Um yeah) and her special even provides -even better healing- if you need it. She's entirely reliant on subweapons for offense, however.

Tom Sawyer - When I saw him on his joining map, I thought "man, this kid must suck. Sub-Tiger Lily HP? LAND MINES as his special? 20 damage plinks off his weapon?". But it's hard to overstate just how much action economy he brings to the table. Light Boilers provide huge steam reserves and his Tommy Punch is obscenely cost-efficient for 1 Steam a pop and about the same range as a typical shot weapon. He can chip enemies, stun then for improved damage with said chipping, cover -tons- of ground with his insane movement and position foes for his allies in order to maximize damage elsewhere. He can even overwatch with the Tommy Punch, which is useful enough given how it's much easier to save steam for him than anyone else. The game's pleasant surprise so far.

Game continues to be quite fun. Also, character balance has been quite solid so far and so has the difficulty curve once Lion showed up.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:01:17 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 13, 2015, 01:02:24 AM »
You get both the Black Scorpion Stinger and the Second Dragon Ring from Mr. Manscorpion now.

Also I tested it this morning with Cid around and found:
1. Flynn gives full AR bonus if you meet the weight prereqs, on whatever you use, no questions asked (infused, catalyst, whatever)
2. RoB gives 50% of its AR on normal infused weapons, 80% on special infused weapons (special being a weird category but seemingly weapons upgraded by Twinkling Titanite or Petrified Dragon Bones; at the very least it applies to Black Knight weapons and the Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe), and 100% on non-infused anything

Sacred Oath supposedly behaves identically to RoB.

Oh Cid said all of this in his edited post. Well here you have it.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 13, 2015, 01:37:37 AM »
It is "well what is it?" Laggy you scrub.  Get your dark souls memes right.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: April 13, 2015, 01:47:25 AM »
Kid Icarus Uprising: Man, it feels almost weird to fight an enemy grunt who -doesn't- appear in Smash Run. Those Aurum chapters almost felt like I was playing a different game.

Pretty much been using bows exclusively, since I like the long range partial homing attacks. Camera control during melee combat is kinda tricky for me, so I try to stay at range as much as possible.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 13, 2015, 03:29:24 AM »
But Grefter Dark Souls 2 doesn't have Well, What Is It!

You get both the Black Scorpion Stinger and the Second Dragon Ring from Mr. Manscorpion now.

Yeah, his dialogue there I think triggers after beating Freja. Was hoping for earlier access than that. Ah well. I still don't know how to get into the locked wing of Aldia, though!

I've done everything maingame except beating Vendrick (and christ the Dragon Shrine is brutal now), which I will actually be doing this time (and probably never again) just to access the new final boss. Will probably want to dive into Shulva to grab Denial for that fight because that's the kind of cheese a slow, tedious, OHKO boss asks for. Of course instead of actually doing either of those things I'm screwing around with a new file. Quelaag = Chaos Rapier + Flame Weapon + whatever other pyromancies I can cram in with 30 ATT + only revealing clothes this time because Quelaag. Want to run to Shulva as soon as possible to get ridiculous priestess hat + Flynn's but this is probably a terrible idea. I expect I'll do it anyway.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 13, 2015, 11:48:40 AM »
They actually made the Dragon Shrine worse?  HOW.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 13, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. - Wow, this game moves at a really rapid clip on campaign mode. Gave Mission 6-1 a go (it's a one-map mission!) and got into a situation where I'd -definitely- lose Scarecrow. Reset. This said, two new PCs joined the fray, and there's some stuff to say about them:

Queequeg - The Moby Dick representative is really, really good. Second-best HP and a passive that boosts the entire entourage's damage by 10% are a good start, but his main weapon just rules. Basically, he drops a walking penguin that trots along in a straight line until it slams into an enemy/wall/obstacle (these obstacles include potholes and your own allies), dealing AoE 70 or so damage. For 4 steam, this is clearly better than John's grenades at pure offense and it's also far more flexible when you're playing in a remotely open field. His special isn't so hot, though: 80 damage that hits a bunch of enemies in a straight line is okay, but not a really impressive finisher like Hammer Blow and Eagle Strike are. Still, that's a damned good package, only held back by the fact he's a Heavy Boiler character.

Scarecrow - The Wizard of Oz ensemble thickens. This said, Scarecrow's WEIRD. Light Boiler is a nice start for mobility, of course, but his main weapon is very strange. Pumpkin Stunner drops a pumpkin bomb that, once popped by a shot from your allies or in the next turn, explodes into a net that deals 20 damage to an area and stuns its victims (with the added caveat that it doesn't incur friendly fire, which is a rarity in and out of itself: even HEALING can target enemies, to give you an idea). That can be quite useful, since Stun doubles the damage dealt by the next hit and disables overwatch attacks from enemies, and, while it's expensive (4 to shoot the bomb+whatever the cost of the next shot to pop the pumpkin), this can be quite an efficient way to boost damage, especially GT. His special is kinda terrible, though: spreading random land mines+minor healing/steam recovery items is worse than Tom's land mine toss, which he can at least push people into with his Punch Gun. Sub-Tom Sawyer HP is also bad and he doesn't have the useful chipping/repositioning game Tom himself sports, so he's a lot more vulnerable than his Light Boiler buddy. Still, the strategies to be had with the Pumpkin Stunner are interesting and he starts in a map where that ability shines like a diamond. Let's see how it works. Oh, and he's stun-immune! That would've come in handy on 4-2 with the stun fly aliens plinking me all day.

The weird aesthetics part is how Scarecrow in S.T.E.A.M. is actually a mishmash of Oz's Scarecrow -and- Pumpkinhead.

Seriously, guys, this game is great.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:39:51 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 13, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »
I don't know how the Dragon Shrine was in vanilla DS2 but giant hammer dude and double greatsword dude were pretty brutal.

I avoided aggroing the billion of other dudes there so I assume I'm doing something right

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #920 on: April 13, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »
Encouraged by Snow's enthusiastic posts and the reminder that there's a 3x speed up patch out now, I have started

Code Name S.T.E.A.M.
And have immediately sped through roughly 90% of the game. Getting all the medals and gears to unlock more Boilers and Subweapons would probably help as I'm getting my ass kicked on Chapter 15 (of I think 16 or 17?).

The game is Djinn-bait for being such an eclectic collection of ideas thematically, plus being Valkyria Chronicles with Tall-Tale Story/American Classic Lit characters. Having Ike is also cool. (dammit I want a Marth amiibo)

Ike himself is actually kind of lackluster for gameplay worth, but I use him anyway because -Ike-. His Ragnell shoots shockwaves that move slowly and sort of push enemies along, repeatedly hitting for minor damage each push. Great damage -potential- but in practice it's better just to use Urvan for a single hit of ~80 dmg. Locked Subweapon and Boiler kind of hurts him. His "Boiler", the Ike's Cape, doesn't have any particularly stand out features either. He -does- get Henry's Push ability and a decent Special, so I suppose if you hate Henry, Ike can substitute? (And I can certainly understand liking Ike more than Henry.)

I wanna talk about the other characters, but I don't want to spoil Snow (and I like reading his writeups on them).

Just based on the ones he's gotten so far, I'd kneejerk an ingame use ranking as something like:

Queequeg > Lion > Tiger Lily = Tom Sawyer = Henry Fleming > Ike > John Henry > Scarecrow
Queequeg's ranged AoE damage and durability combo just obsoletes John Henry, and usually cements him as the main damage dealer until some later characters show up.
Lion's mobility and passive defense boost and durability put him slightly above the pack.
Lily heals, which isn't really -necessary- if you're running the high-durability characters, but it doesn't hurt and with a good Overwatch subweapon, she's a useful contribution.
Tom similarly can play a support role and can scout well, so he might be a good choice for a fourth unit. Probably wouldn't run both Tom and Lily though.
Henry is just kind of a solid average option with good Overwatch and a good OPB nuke.
John is redundant, but if you run all heavy durability characters, he's your fourth option.
Scarecrow is certainly -usable-, but his niche specialties don't come up often enough to matter and Stun tends not to work on bosses. Also, gameworst durability...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 13, 2015, 05:10:19 PM »
I also intend to make a stat topic for the game. Its mechanics are incredibly simple and transparent and it'd be a pretty quick work. In that sense, more than any other, it's an IntSys game through and through.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 13, 2015, 08:46:15 PM »
They actually made the Dragon Shrine worse?  HOW.

Do you remember the final staircase where there were like half a dozen dudes up there but they were stupid enough that you could pick off one at a time with arrows?

They're not that stupid anymore.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 13, 2015, 09:17:31 PM »
Usually at this point I'm out of sunny d and just run past everything.

Cid, I found no one on the road to sinner except a respawnable flexile sentry (WHY) also, invaders seem to invade even if you're a zombie, so that's pretty cool. Not that I ever die of course.

The new enemies in the girl's wharf scared the hell out of me." Why is this Longarms attacking me so violently oh man it is not a Longarms run run run"

I'm this close to respeccing everything and using like a big magic blue axe instead of the twinblade. I feel that I care way too little about Star Wars to continue with this twinblade madness.

Also: Yes. Pursuers. I get it.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 13, 2015, 09:40:30 PM »
There are still explosion zombies in Sinner's Rise, but yeah, it feels weirdly depopulated with one downgraded boss instead of multiple mutants. Also you could always be invaded while hollow in DS2.

Try to endure until you get to the castle and can pick up a stone twinblade from the ninja statues. It's almost decent! (The basic Bastile twinblade is outright terrible.) Supposedly the red iron twinblade is the one fans like, but I've never tried it. It looked like it didn't have the same ridiculous moveset, and if not why even use it?

Of course if you're really pro you'll impress us all by maining SORCERER'S TWINBLADE.