Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194774 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #575 on: March 09, 2015, 04:25:43 PM »
Well, that certainly explains a lot.  I have my own theories about the game but I don't want to say what they are until they're confirmed one way or another, but that does explain why Shaddar is the EVIL BIG BAD from everyone's perspective, but he's clearly just a minion to the titular white witch.

Also explains the one council member guy doing stuff,  when there's 12 of them.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 09, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »
So I am officially Smashscum now. I joined smashboards.com and now I am meticulously learning the inner workings of a freakin' fighting game.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3SM8yOKKwU8PYqwsNP5rGA

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 09, 2015, 08:44:42 PM »
Thage's special attack is actually awesome as hell considering it's 1 range on Thage (100% Fear is awesome). Probably not so awesome against a boss, but once I got it, I probably used it in every battle.

I didn't use it much due to risk of putting Thage in melee. I may have been overly worried in this regard. To illustrate: she took damage precisely once over the course of both runs.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 10, 2015, 01:48:22 AM »
Ni No Kuni: Just beat Shadar.

Yeah, it's exceedingly obvious he was the original final boss.  He's a completely functional and full villain on his own without the White Witch scenes, and her role in his back-story (basically just her going "I like that you're evil, you are now my Dark Djinn!"  She doesn't even appear, it's just her voice over in a scene completely absent from him) is so clearly shoe-horned in to go "This person is important and totally the reason behind everything!"  but even then, it feels fake.  Shadar as a character feels complete without any White Witch aspects.

Without being spoilerific, the characters treat him as the main villain throughout, and the rest of the world is all "The Dark Djinn is to blame" in various ways.  You confront him halfway into the game, get beaten by him because "Mid-game villain showdown" scenario, and has the usual "We must get stronger to beat him!"  By the time you fight Shadar, it's clear he and Oliver are opposites, between Oliver being the Light Wizard Boy and Shadar being the Old Dark Djinn.  Heck, their ultimate spells are even obviously opposing one another (Mornstar vs. Evenstar.)  After beating him, game divulges his past, explains where he came from, etc., and we see his motives and all that.  All of it fits nicely without the need of a 3rd party person above him.

I know I said the White Witch scenes were at least shown, thus establishing her character, but they're all so inconsequential up to this point; I suspect they'll start mattering here because "oh, right, we beat Shadar, the ORIGINAL villain, we have to make the characters acknowledge the existence of that OTHER MORE POWERFUL VILLAIN we keep showing." To demonstrate just how...shoe-horned the White Witch is...

Every scene with her is just her viewing things from afar.  She's your crystal ball viewing evil woman doing nothing but "oh no, the hero is actually succeeding rather than dying, we must make him dying instead of succeeding, SHADAR WHY HAVEN'T YOU KILLED HIM YET!?"  Oh but she interacts directly with Shadar so clearly important right!?

I'll give her one thing; her design is creative, what with the space cape and all that.  Still, you can totally tell everything related to her was not part of the original story.  The original story was definitely intended to be Shadar as the main villain, and it's extremely obvious once you actually fight him.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 10, 2015, 03:56:37 AM »
Thage's special attack is actually awesome as hell considering it's 1 range on Thage (100% Fear is awesome). Probably not so awesome against a boss, but once I got it, I probably used it in every battle.

I didn't use it much due to risk of putting Thage in melee. I may have been overly worried in this regard. To illustrate: she took damage precisely once over the course of both runs.

Yeah, the move is so good because on the chance that a random is not dead, it is not acting again and is easy prey for overkill. If it's the only enemy near her, then you are very much in the clear (Hmm...EP would be a good game for In Game Character Use Ranking. Thage might be good enough to smash into the top 20).
...into the nightfall.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 10, 2015, 04:03:21 AM »
Dragonball Xenoverse:  I have become an official member of the Ginyu Force.  Life complete.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 10, 2015, 11:19:47 AM »
Donkey Kong Country 3D - Minecarts stole my balloons and killed my lives. They're my favorite stage designs in this game so far anyway.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 11, 2015, 03:53:35 AM »
Kirby Triple Deluxe: True Arena is beat!  Take that stupid evil final boss of doom.

Final Run I got lucky and managed to get Stone against Shadow DeDeDe, which I gave up Archer early for because the invincibility is invaluable for the following two fights.  Getting through Dark Meta Knight with minimal damage can be tough as is though I can do decent against Soul of Sectonia's first half, but "decent" isn't good enough when the 2nd half goes psycho.  Lots of Stone cheese was abused but it's a legitimate strategy and I won!

Probably won't touch Kirby Triple Deluxe for a while bceause the True Arena took a lot out of me...clearly I must go do that in Return to Dreamland...or I WOULD but I lack access to it :(

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 11, 2015, 05:12:57 AM »
That is a lot of attack patterns to memorize.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 11, 2015, 05:38:01 AM »
That boss has the most "It's comin' right for ya!"s per minute I've ever seen. Thanks 3DS games.
The first part looks really easy but that 2nd one, after a boss rush looks legit challenging.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 11, 2015, 02:40:46 PM »
yeah, that's basically the situation.  What video doesn't show so much is while avoiding damage in the first part isn't so hard, a simple screw up can really punish you since those lasers hit hard, and it is possible to be Instant Death'd in the pit via those vines and such.  Not hard, but you can't afford screw ups because of that second part.

Also what powers being used can make a difference.  Hammer seems pretty effective on that first part, but I didn't have that because Archer is just too good for the first bunch of bosses and you're only given one power option between boss fights (though there are 2 mini-boss rushes that can give you powers, and Hammer is there, but the first 7 fights are randomized order, so also not reliable), on top of if the boss has a power to share as well.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 11, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »
Hotline Miami 4: Wrong Number

I thought this would be an experimental title, this being the final game and everything, but so far it is just more Hotline Miami. Which is nice.
Locked masks makes it feel like there's a "correct way" to beat the levels, which is a step back. On the other hand they change gameplay more radically, so there's a lot of variety that was absent in the original. I guess the tradeoff is fine so far.
Music is dope

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 11, 2015, 11:06:51 PM »
Ni No Kuni: Finished.  Tell you now, game is 4/10.  It's pretty, decent music, and some ok to decent character and plot work, which is why it's not lower considering the flaws are big.

In chat, someone expressed the game as "aggressively mediocre"; from any gameplay perspective, this is pretty much spot on.  The game has a pseudo-ARPG battle system but functions more like ATB and Turn based in some regards...no, I don't mean "either or" I mean it takes elements of both.  It's hard to explain but it's a very poorly play tested system.  It has potential if they actually did more with it and fleshed it out but unfortunately they keep it to the barebones so things just become a bore.

The real issue, which is what most of the game's problems stem from, is it's lack of polish.  I already covered the resource issue earlier, and this does get better as game goes on and you can actually afford more and better items, but it's always present in some regard, because your AI is just stupid.  I'll grant the 4th PC helps mitigate this a lot since he's got basically a combination of Oliver's stats with higher MP, a fast, MT Spell that has low recharge rate that is stronger than expected, and generally seems better at not throwing away his MP on useless stuff the way Esther is (Esther having much lower MP than you'd expect from Bard Mage Girl.)  I digress though, as when that issue stops, the game rears a different issue of polish and that's animations.

Let's look at a game like the Tales series for a second, at least modern games.  Everything here is real time outside some big heavy cinematic attacks, mostly Mystic Artes, but I'll get to those later.  When you use an item or start charging a spell, that aspect is initiated independently of everything else.  Items are instant, to boot, so when you use them, you get the immediate rewards.  Spells with charge times?  Well, you can interrupt them by getting hit, but if Yuri gets hit by a big spell and Rita is charging a spell, Rita will continue to charge the spell!  When Mystic Artes pop up, the same logic applies, only there's a break in the action; again, if Yuri is hit by a Mystic Arte, Rita is unaffected, and the battle literally picks up exactly as it was before.

Ni No Kuni says bollocks to that, because SCREW logical design decisions!  Let's look at all the problems, and keep in mind the Tales example at all times:

-Items have lengthy animations, at least for items.  They're not super long, but they don't activate immediately, but only when the animation ends.  This means you can throw a healing item onto a character to save them only for them to die before they're appropriately healed by the item, despite the item having already targeted them.  I guess this can happen in a Tales game too but the window of opportunity for this to happen is so small, it's not really notable.

-Items stop the character using the item from doing any action until the item resolves; they can still run around and evade basic attacks, but still.  This wouldn't be too bad because hey, all actions prevent you from doing other actions, so that's consistency...

-...except it also prevents the target from doing something if they aren't already initiated in an action.  This applies to support spells too.  There are times I'd have Oliver run to try and pick up a healing/MP orb, and suddenly he'd stop in his tracks because Esther cast a support spell.  Yes, the game punishes you for using MT Support moves meant to be beneficial, and yes, everyone becomes inactive if you try MT Healing items.  Anything MT should have been cinematic, just putting a brief stop on the action to prevent this, including MT Healing Items.   To credit the game, MT Healing spells were cinematic, so that didn't come up.
--This issue actually cost me a reset on the final boss.  There's an MT Resurrection item, which I desperately needed to activate, so I used it!  Then a cinematic happened (see below), resetting it.  Then I used it again, and my character stopped in place, couldn't move out of the way of the OBVIOUS MELEE ATTACKS, got slammed about 5 times, and before the item resolved, he died.

-To compound the issue further, if a cinematic attack is used during the item animation, the ENTIRE ITEM IS CANCELLED.  yes, you can go 4 out of the 5 seconds for the item to resolve (not literal, just being an example) only for the enemy to use some attack, even if it's a worthless status move that hit no one, to interrupt your action.  It gets even better when one of your AI partners casts a spell that does something similar.  Again, remember how Tales just sort of pauses action and lets things continue where it left off with cinematics; this game doesn't do that.  It's especially bad when the cinematic didn't even target your team, so you got interrupted over...nothing?  At least the game doesn't take Items or MP if the effect didn't resolve, so you're not wasting resources.
--It does, however, count as using the action for the purposes of recharging the command.  So even though you didn't use the item, you still did the action, so you still need to wait to use it again.

-Enemies can move during cinematics, thus cheat.  yes, you heard that right; enemies can still move while a cinematic is going off.  They can't attack or do anything meaningful mind you, so it's not COMPLETELY cheating, but it does matter in a different way.  For standard Single Target and Full Screen Attacks, not a big deal; those will hit the enemy anywhere, so whatever (though sometimes in MT moves, the perspective makes it such that you can't see the effects on everyone, which is another problem, if more minor.  It does show damage to off camera enemies at least.)  Thing is, when you have AoE attacks and moves with ranges?  Your character will generally go to the maximum range and fire the attack off if they're not in range already; when the attack initiates, they usually will hit too.  Thing is, enemies under some circumstances can move, so they can in fact walk out of the range depending on arbitrary circumstance so you blow MP on the attack, in a game where resources are not casual.

-If it's not obvious by all of the above, resurrecting is as a result a complete pain in the ass.  Compounding the issue further is it's only done via items, so your AI PCs can't revive you ever.  Now note that enemies can have Instant Death that can come out of nowhere and gimp you.  No one has MT Instant Death, thankfully, but still, nothing is more disconcerting than having a full HP PC just suddenly drop to 0 because an enemy threw an instant death attack, and the move isn't even a cinematic so you have this "Why did I just die!?" moment.  Branching from that, enemies love Sleep and Paralysis, which have similar issues.  IN some regards, those are worse; if your leader dies, you are forced to swap to a different PC, which is fair enough, but if you're asleep or Paralyzed?  Guess what? YOU GET TO STOP PLAYING UNTIL THE STATUS RESOLVES!  Same applies to Confusion for that matter, and both Sleep and Confuse last stupid long amounts of time if the enemy doesn't target you.

-AI is completely uncontrollable beyond telling them to "All Defend" or "All Attack"; the former is the only way AI will defend.  Latter theoretically makes them more aggressive but it's hard to tell if it's meaningful, other than cancelling "All Defend."  You can't do something like have Oliver charge a spell, swap to Esther and control her while he's charging; you have to sit there and play as your sitting duck PC.  Again, using Tales as a comparison, I could be playing as Yuri and have Yuri tell Rita to start casting a spell via menu.  I think you can even do something like select Rita, use a spell, then swap to Yuri while she's charging, and continue playing but could be wrong.

Combine this with all my complaints before and then remember these are constant problems, and you can see why this is such a big deal.  It's a prime example of a game that clearly wasn't play tested well and thus poorly polished; they were definitely put minimal focus on the gameplay after the rough idea of what they wanted was done, as there's no way I can look at this and go "yeah, these were totally conscious decisions that people thought were good ideas!"  Make matters worse, the final boss seems to completely abuse all of the above, such that he's a drastic difficulty spike compared to the previous two bosses...quoting Sage from Chat...

[15:47] <SageAcrin> ah yes, long multiform bosses where the last form is a difficulty jump.
[15:47] <SageAcrin> Have I mentioned those are stupid.

To be fair, previous forms aren't too durable, and the last battle does give you an invincible 4th PC with a lot of meaningful actions (though the PC doesn't count as a living PC for game over purposes, so yeah) which is a nice gesture considering the plot circumstances (I was thinking the game wouldn't do this even though the plot suggests "THIS CHARACTER SHOULD BE ASSISTING DIRECTLY!" but then suddenly there the character is, so props to the game for actually following through.)  Speaking of the final boss, as shoe-horned in as the White Witch related stuff is (I'll get to that in a bit), the Final Boss fight is even worse.  By this point, everything is resolved, and the game could have ended there.  Then suddenly RETURN OF THE COUNCIL, which we just established is actually a figment of Cassiopeia's imagination given illusionary form due to her magic, comes and goes NO NOW YOU FIGHT US.  There's no narrative value to this fight, and no purpose other than to force one last boss fight here.  I get they wanted a 3 stage final boss, but why not just make the character before have a 3rd form?  It was logical before; you fight her in her base form, the she uses magic to transform herself into a super form, and you beat that.  Is it really so hard to just go "And then she uses her trump card to go into Ultra form!?"  No, instead we pull that completely pointless stunt.

Compare that to Shadar for a second, the obvious originally intended final boss.  First form is his base, Executor form we see throughout, logically.  2nd form isn't actually him, but a high powered Dark Knight he summons; considering his plot, this actually fits as a 2nd fight since Shadar is Oliver's Soulmate, and they just established a few hours earlier that Oliver can tap into the elemental stones using the Unleash spell to summon Nature spirits to fight for him briefly, so this could just be him summoning the Spirit of the Nevermore Marshes.  Alternatively, it's just an extension of Oliver's ability to use Familiars, but corrupted and such., so fair enough.  Then you beat the Dark Knight and Shadar basically pulls a "Gloves come off!" and goes into his Dark Djinn super form, in desperation to kill you.  This is all fitting of a final boss and works well, because everything here is stemmed from Shadar in one way or another.  The actual Final Boss after fighting the White Witch (...not a spoiler considering the game is called "Wrath of the White Witch") is just an asspull because they want one more fight.

Speaking of the White Witch, she really needed to be put into a different game or story altogether.  Her role in the plot during Shadar's arc is completely pointless; I've covered this already, won't go into details again.  When she makes herself known to the heroes, the story...has actually neat ideas...kind of.  I say kind of because after thinking about it, she's literally the same character as Shadar.

Both Shadar and Cassiopeia started as young, naive people who wished to do well.  Then they both had to face a harsh reality, leading them to do something to try and make amends for it, which in turn only backfired and made them go into the insane mindset of "The world must be destroyed because it's evil!

Really the only difference is one was driven by the sense of futility, the other by solitude.  I do think the White Witch could have been an interesting character if they actually explored her throughout the game, rather than shove her entire back-story into the last 3 hours of the game, leading to a quick legitimate introduction and resolution.  She gets absolutely no development before the last 3 hours.  The best parallel I can think of is how she's pretty much Queen Beryl from the first season of Sailor Moon; exists to sit on a throne and bark orders and do EVIL EXPOSITION, but is otherwise completely pointless, as it's her minions that we care about (well, Minion in NNK's case, because Shadar's the only one.)  It's not like the game even tries to show parallels between the two or make an attempt to tie-in anything she does to the main story until after Shadar.

The other issue I have is...well...the way the game presents itself, the White Witch really doesn't work in the story at all.  The entire Shadar arc, if we factor out the White Witch stuff (which wasn't in the original story apparently), the game actually has an interesting philosophical angle that seems to explain what's really going on.

Namely, the story seems to be nothing more than an escapist fantasy that Oliver came up with to deal with the loss of his mother's death.  Ignoring the White Witch scenes, until his mother dies, the game is completely mundane.  Oliver lives in a normal town circa the early 1900s I think it is, and everything is standard.  Then his mother dies suddenly, which he feels responsible for (which is understandable), and being a 10 year old boy raised by a single mother, he naturally takes this pretty harshly.  THEN suddenly, holding his stuffed animal, it comes to life, with the same weird design because "he cried and is a pure heart!"  From here, all the fantasy elements start kicking in.

Some signs that point me to this are the following:
-Drippy's title is "Lord High Lord of the Fairies."  Yes, he did use the term "Lord" twice in there.
-Random encounters are small and cutesy, only the bosses are big and monstrous, kind of like how a 10 year old would view the difference between Strong and Weak.
-Soulmates are all conveniently in his town.  Given he's 10, it'd make sense that he doesn't think of the world much beyond his own town, because at that age, the real world to you is only what's in proximity.
-Speaking of Soulmates, the fantasy world versions always seem exaggerated versions of his friends.  The most obvious is Leila vs. the Cowlipha.  Leila is this obese woman who Oliver gets milk from all the time.  Her Soulmate, the Cowlipha, is a 20 foot tall cow woman.
-Shadar, as a villain, is pretty standard evil bad guy; he's made to look and seem like your typical evil old man wizard.  Nothing subtle about him, again, that'd fit in with the imagination of a 10 year old since while kids can be creative, they do tend to have narrow view of "Good vs. Evil" and Shadar fits "evil" straight to a tee.
-No one can see Oliver's friends in his world, almost like they're imaginary. 
-He does solve supernatural problems in the real world, but they could just be him having his imagination run wild.  For example, one case involves a father/husband whose been mean lately and acting like a real jerk.  Oliver goes and fights the shadow of his heart and restores his kindness!  He goes back to normal!  Is it possible what really happened is that fight never happened, just the man overworked himself and Oliver being there helped make him come to his senses, such that when his wife comforts him, he finally recognizes how he's been and turns over a new leaf?  We're seeing the game through Oliver's eyes remember, so again, expect exaggerated situations.
-The Wizard book just HAPPENS to be found in his fireplace...and only after his mother dies...
-Last and most importantly?  The goal of his mission isn't to save the world, but revive his mother by saving her Soulmate.  He's clearly not come to grips with the idea that "my mother is dead and I will never see her again!" and to him, his mother was this saint-like figure, so naturally he views her as an amazing Sage, who simply got beat by an evil wizard and he has to save her "soulmate" and by doing so, he can bring his mother back.

I can go on but you can see there's a lot of things that all just fit in well if the story is nothing more than Oliver's escapist imagination "coming to life" as a means to cope with his mother's death.  The big plot twist comes when he learns that Alicia, the Sage, isn't his mother's soulmate, but actually his mother, teleported through time and space through Breach Time spell to reach his world.  In learning this, naturally it means his mother is gone for good.  This to me came as the moment where Oliver had finally come to grips with the idea of death and that "my mother is gone and can't come back no matter what I do" and no amount of imagination can undo it, which is why he "goes into a coma."  After mulling it over and thinking of all the people he "helped" was his way of going "I need to move on, I can't keep being sad!"  The final battle with Shadar then has Oliver with the dilemma of "I die, you die too, SOULMATE!"  which to me was Oliver's way of saying "if you beat me, then this great adventure comes to an end!  You'll have to go back to boring reality!" then he comes up with a story that makes Shadar not seem like a bad guy, just someone who had misfortunes because "he's my soulmate, there has to be SOME good in him!" and Oliver was the one who purified his broken heart.

Pea of course is the hardest character character to explain.  On one hand, I can believe she was also an addition since her main role comes in the last 3 hours, which if that was the case, then yeah, the theory only fits stronger as she was an addition.  On the other hand, unlike Cassiopeia, Pea's purpose actually did fit with the story, as she interacts with Oliver and tended to have answers he didn't have.  The best I can come up with is Pea was some sort of manifestation of Oliver's subconscious, a part of his mind even he didn't register and thus couldn't understand.  It's worth noting that no one but Oliver can see Pea, even the others from the Fantastic world.  As a result, if it was an aspect of his imagination he didn't know existed, and formed because he's letting his imagination run wild, well there you go.

I don't know if that was the intent, but the story just fits so well and would be a nice, different angle if that was what was going on; the White Witch just kind of throws a wrench in it, and her being a later addition just makes me further believe that was the original intent.   Even the post-credits ending fits with the theory I presented as it's basically Oliver gets home, on a broomstick that NO ONE happens to see, and telling himself he's finally ready to move on with his life and he doesn't need his mother anymore.

Speaking of endings, the fake ending when Shadar is defeated is far more of an ending than when you beat the real final boss.  Typical "load bearing final boss" situation followed by "we saved the world" and celebrations, and yeah, everything feels wrapped up, all that's missing is credits rolling but instead we get to Ding Dong Dell and the game goes "So...White Witch...remember her?  Yeah, she's finally going to do stuff now."  Then you beat the subsequent arc and the ending can be summed up as "And they lived happily ever after, ROLL THE CREDITS!"   No, that's not really a spoiler because there's nothing TO spoil; the important stuff honestly happens right before the final boss, who as I said is a bullshit "we need one more fight, DEAL WITH IT!"

And yes, the post Shadar stuff in Ni No Kuni is comparable to F-arc in Tales of Graces F.  The difference, though, is that F-Arc felt like a genuine extension of ToG's plot and characters.  It followed up on ideas established in the main story, furthered the development of characters, and worked as extra world building.  It also was more honest, as ToGf said "You beat the game!" when you beat the main story then goes "if you want to see more, play F-Arc!" so it's clear "THIS IS AN EXPANSION!" Ni No Kuni tries to pretend it's all one story.  Yes, I am in fact saying Ni No Kuni would have benefited from having the credits after Shadar and then having an ominous voice over by the White Witch hinting "there's more to the story!" 

As a final note, one last thing I'll give the game credit for is having a different protagonist than what jRPGs have.  Most jRPG Protagonists range from teenager to early 20s.  Having a protagonist who is legitimately a young boy, as in 10 years old, and not be annoying about it, was a nice change of pace.  There's an air of innocence and naivete you get from Oliver that feels more genuine as a result than some of these "inexperienced teen protagonists" that are a dime a dozen.  Add in some semi-competent writing and pacing for the most part, and Ni No Kuni isn't half bad of a story.  Not something I'll hype mind you, but I was curious where the game was going at times (for all that it didn't throw many curve balls but sometimes you don't need to be different to be entertaining) and even when the game had filler, the filler felt well implemented, as it came off as "breathing room between plot points" as opposed to being outright padding.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 12, 2015, 12:54:48 AM »
For me, it was the AI that really killed the game.  I can forgive the White Witch stuff since it wasn't in the original game, I can forgive a lot of things.  But from start to finish, the ally AI is so bad it makes any strategy other than pure melee pointless.

I wrote this back when I finished the game.  Not as detailed, but we had many of the same issues:
http://jshreviews.blogspot.com/2013/07/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-white-witch_25.html

I personally would have liked the game way more if the magic world was just Oliver playing pretend to cope with his mother's death.  Both me and another friend thought this was what was happening until the end of the game and were disappointed when proven wrong.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 12, 2015, 02:28:09 AM »
EP: Finished up Ro-man's chapter. He was kind of a drag most of the time, right? He's all "Grr, must kill Morpheus even though he's already dead," and he won't explain anything to his sidekick about why he thinks he needs to re-kill a dude he already killed, so we don't understand anything about him either. But Count Trollphaston's pretty great this whole time so that's something at least? Then you get to the final battle and Rondemion's just like, actually, Count, I was trolling you the whole time. And that was pretty great.

Just have Spoilertastic's chapter left now. Huh, dude starts with a lot of majin in stock and the town's weirdly depopulated. ...Oh. Oh, I see. I guess there's no avoiding monster majin party this time.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 12, 2015, 03:37:10 AM »
For me, it was the AI that really killed the game.  I can forgive the White Witch stuff since it wasn't in the original game, I can forgive a lot of things.  But from start to finish, the ally AI is so bad it makes any strategy other than pure melee pointless.

I wrote this back when I finished the game.  Not as detailed, but we had many of the same issues:
http://jshreviews.blogspot.com/2013/07/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-white-witch_25.html

I personally would have liked the game way more if the magic world was just Oliver playing pretend to cope with his mother's death.  Both me and another friend thought this was what was happening until the end of the game and were disappointed when proven wrong.

Reading the AI part of your review, I am reminded just how bad they are at this.  I noticed that the AI will only use 2 Familiars at best, and usually the one in the 3rd slot never gets used at all, regardless how good/bad it is.

Generally, they use one familiar, and sometimes the 2nd will pop out based on the first's Stamina and such, or they'll go back and act on their own (which is another issue because Esther so often will run up to physical things when her physical damage never does more than 1 per hit...)  I can't say I've ever seen AI so bad in an RPG like this.  Even Tales of Destiny, with it's mostly lethargic AI, was better as at least Bruiser felt active and if the PCs had magic, they would cast it on a regular basis (especially notable with Rutee due to healing), and while that game had bad AI, it was still somehow adequate enough for the game.  NNK's AI is a whole other level of badness, and that combined with the MP issues (especially early game)...ugh.

I think it's most notable that the 4th PC who joins in the last 3 hours gets Thunderstorm, which is an amazing spell in every sense (20 MP for 120-150~ damage to all enemies, rarely resisted, fast casting AND recharge time?  SIGN ME UP!) and he'll never use it, instead opting for crap like Frostbite and Arrow of Light (ok, latter I guess isn't much worse on bosses and costs less MP, but he'll use it on randoms.)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 12, 2015, 11:37:11 PM »
Hotline Miami 2:

This comes off as a big surprise: HM2 is not good. At all. It's not entirely unpleasant and it has some highs (like the ending)  But it is not refined, it has nothing interesting to say, it lacks ambition. The atmosphere never quite clicks. (Edit: EXCEPT IN THE ENDING)
It is a lot harder, which is almost always a plus for me, but it's the Hard Mode of a game that's not meant to have a Hard Mode. The levels are way bigger with more enemies: The open ended areas mean million deaths from offscreen fire, and the higher number of enemies meant almost clearing a level like a pro then dying because of a glitch, or because you didn't hit the last dog at the exact right moment. Hitting at the right moment with melee was never really that interesting in HM1, but it didn't matter because you never lost too much.
This game doesn't deserve its awesome licensed soundtrack.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:43:08 PM by Fenrir »

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 13, 2015, 01:47:08 AM »
Hotline Miami 2:

This comes off as a big surprise: HM2 is not good. At all. It's not entirely unpleasant and it has some highs (like the ending)  But it is not refined, it has nothing interesting to say, it lacks ambition. The atmosphere never quite clicks. (Edit: EXCEPT IN THE ENDING)
It is a lot harder, which is almost always a plus for me, but it's the Hard Mode of a game that's not meant to have a Hard Mode. The levels are way bigger with more enemies: The open ended areas mean million deaths from offscreen fire, and the higher number of enemies meant almost clearing a level like a pro then dying because of a glitch, or because you didn't hit the last dog at the exact right moment. Hitting at the right moment with melee was never really that interesting in HM1, but it didn't matter because you never lost too much.
This is super disappointing. Not even worth $15?

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 13, 2015, 04:22:14 AM »
Meeple, re Ni No Kuni plot:

Pea is actually just thrown into the storyline much like the White Witch. I think the original DS version didn't feature her. Mostly you could excise her completely and it wouldn't change much of anything. Think of when she warns Oliver about 3 'guardians' and there was a scene with the White Witch regarding this too... it wouldn't have changed anything at all had this not happened.

And yeah 4th PC's Thunderstorm is sweet. Knocks enemies down too, which is just gravy on a move that ridiculously fast.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 13, 2015, 05:23:01 AM »
Hotline Miami 2:

This is super disappointing. Not even worth $15?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 13, 2015, 01:47:30 PM »
Meeple, re Ni No Kuni plot:

Pea is actually just thrown into the storyline much like the White Witch. I think the original DS version didn't feature her. Mostly you could excise her completely and it wouldn't change much of anything. Think of when she warns Oliver about 3 'guardians' and there was a scene with the White Witch regarding this too... it wouldn't have changed anything at all had this not happened.

And yeah 4th PC's Thunderstorm is sweet. Knocks enemies down too, which is just gravy on a move that ridiculously fast.

Ok, that makes sense for Pea.  I wasn't trying to say she was super significant, just she didn't feel disconnected from the story the way the White Witch did.  She was playing a role, if a superficial one, and interacted directly with Oliver.  It only further suggests the original intent of the game was Oliver's getting lost in his own imagination to help cope with his mother's death and for some reason, they decided to not do this.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 13, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
I'd say no.

I'll elaborate some more because my post was pretty shitty.

I think the only part of the game I really like is the music (I see it as even better than the first game's), but it fits the game less well than HM1, because HM2's higher difficulty makes is more about planning and less about instinct. When playing HM2 you're very rarely in that HM1 transe-like state, so the OST is less effective.
The game also actually made me start disliking one track I love, because it looped badly, and I was listening to it over and over while dying for stupid reasons.

The game might handle a lot better on PC. The Vita was good enough for HM1, but the higher difficulty in HM2 asks for more precise and intuitive controls that aren't there.
On PC, looking ahead is mapped to Shift (instead of the fucking touchscreen) so you can actually look around and still do something else at the same time.
Using the keyboard keys for moving around is also a lot better than whatever you want to use on Vita (I switched from the Vita analog stick to the crappy Vita d-pad midway through the game, because I was getting stuck on doors all the time)
PC controls could make later levels a lot less frustrating, but even on PC, user reception is lukewarm.

I mentioned that the game is more about planning than instinct.
Essentially, if you're like me you'll try going in guns blazing, raking combos like in Hotline Miami 1. You'll die from a million offscreen deaths, get frustrated, and then start going more slowly, carefully looking ahead all the time, killing enemies one by one by luring them. You'll get through levels more easily that way, but fighting will be less fun, each death will be more frustrating, and the game will greet you with "I give your performance a C- rating, you are shit" at the end of every level.
The only way to play more skillfully and get good ratings, is perfect memorization of enemy placement and level design (and then a perfect execution of your plan to go through the level), which is a pretty significant departure from Hotline Miami 1. I am not interested in playing the game further to get good grades, even though I had a hell of a lot of fun getting an A+ rating in each HM1 level. Needless to say, I am not interested in this game's Hard Mode either.

At first, I thought that nearly removing masks would force a different playstyle and make the game more varied. But not really.
Essentially you either play like you have no special power, or are forced to go melee only (often with a beefed up melee attack), and that's about it. Let's see:

- Zebra has the most useless dodgeroll
- Bear has a move that looked amazingly cool but useless in trailers. I wondered how they were going to make this useful in game by using good level design. Guess what happened.
- Tiger is melee-only
- Swans are one melee and one ranged character at the same time, like Ice Climbers. You control both character's attack, but only the chainsaw girl's movement. In a very precise game, having one AI controlled character that constantly lags behind you is bad. The best strategy with the swans is to go melee only with the chainsaw girl and only use the second character to shoot loudly at walls, to attract enemies so you can kill them near doors with melee. It is actually super mega OP. But in the end you're just a melee only-character and having an ability that trivializes the game (for like three levels. You can't use swans that much)
- The journalist is a pacifist. It sounds like there are major gameplay implications to this, but if you grab a melee weapon on your first enemy (there's no reason not to), you get another melee-only character with no drawbacks.
- The army dude can switch between a knife and a ranged weapon at will, but cannot pick up weapons. Since you fight big dudes immune to melee in his levels, you end up always saving ammo for the big dudes and fighting everybody else with melee, sometimes luring with a single gunshot. Nothing interesting here either.
- Jake gets lethal throws. Allright, one point for Hotline Miami 2, still not too great.
- And then there are a few characters with no special powers at all, like the cop.

much variety, wow. A reminder that all this replaces the mask system.

I should mention that Hotline Miami 2 took those big enemies who die from a few bullet shots and are entirely immune to melee attacks... and then it gave them assault rifles?
Even if you have the best approach, shooting them from behind while strafing like crazy, the're a good chance they still might be able to turn around and spray-kill you. Amazing. These guys are like goombas that would become lethal on touch at completely random intervals in a Mario game. Pray the RNG gods are with you.
These enemies rarely appear but I think they're a nice example of the stupid decisions the game took, for the sake of higher difficulty.

I've mentioned the ending being nice, but while it looks and sounds cool, it's still really dumb. (Spoiler: Mafia mob takes too much LSD so he goes crazy and kills his entire gang)
The game as a whole is like that. You will get nothing out of the storyline, and won't even care that much about what happens next because you'll be jumping through time and changing characters every two levels. Sometimes the HM1 main character (with his rooster mask) will appear in hallucinations to taunt the current playable character and say something nihilistic.
Whatever.

I still enjoyed the game at first, because it was still more Hotline Miami, but by the end I started really actively disliking it, as should be pretty clear by now.

Oh, I read a really interesting post on Gamasutra about Binding of Isaac's themes and have changed my mind about its themes. I think it's less cruel than self pitying.
I got the remake on Vita and played through it a few times already, I'm feeling I'm getting better at it.
It's a pretty big step up in gameplay from the non remake. It can become a complete mess with some powers and in the boss rush, but that's part of what makes it work, I think. At least until I try playing with the low HP hard mode characters.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 15, 2015, 12:19:10 AM »
EP: Master D's chapter is weird. Super short (just the third/fourth stratum, and fourth is just a boss fight), which is probably fine since full-on monster party would probably wear out its welcome over the full game. Also short because monster party encourages you to work fast since your allies all have turn limits before they port out for nappies (this definitely feels different from the rest of the game, so that's fine). Isapolis is bizarrely depopulated here and that's just odd to see. You get boatloads of money that you can't do anything with because D's classed as a monster and doesn't use equipment. You don't have to worry about overkilling anything because you can't capture anything, all the enemies are now washed-out palette swaps of their normal selves (that also appear to be immune to status, boo). Also the dude has no respect whatsoever for the fourth wall (and as it turns out in the ending, neither does Thage). My immersion, you guys.

Apparently the king is the boss alien from Edge of Tomorrow or something.

Altogether now! full-protagonist tactical squad is pretty much the best way to handle the last battle in a game like this. But man, did they really have to give the final boss regen? 300 healing per round is a pretty substantial amount to chip through every turn if you've already burned through all your special attacks against her support (which I didn't, fortunately, but I could see how someone might gimp themself by wearing their team out against the hands and having to deal with a real long haul for the head). Especially considering she does horrific amounts of damage at long range to a wide radius and has so many spell charges that you'll assuredly run out of healing before she exhausts her firepower, it can be tough to keep up when you've got to detail at least a couple people for healing (I sort of regreted here sending Ashley down the path of Superior Asskicking/Nametaking instead of support, because she couldn't keep up on her own, and I had to lean on summoned majin to help keep people patched up--so hey, once in a while there is actually a use for them other than grist for the magic cuisinart). Only saving grace is that LASER BEAMS has a tremendous amount of self-inflicted delay so you can usually count on everyone immediately doubleturning her when she uses it.

This doesn't necessarily mean that it was difficult, just that it made me go "Whoa, big numbers, I'll have to save up the top-notch firepower and go all out at the last minute." Eternal Poison is rarely, if ever, genuinely difficult, and if it ever is that's likely just because you misjudged enemy movement range and accidentally aggro'd more dudes than you meant to. I had no game overs (though I did reset a couple early Ashley maps because someone immediately died due to stupid initial positioning). The AI is extremely easy to manipulate in most circumstances, and though it doesn't give you damage projections the game's damage mechanics are nonetheless so straightforward that you can easily mentally calculate what you'll get. Straight subtractive defense -> result modified by elemental resistance (which is just +/- the percentage stated). Simple to guess on the fly, which is convenient since acquisition of a lot of neat things requires you to overkill enemies past certain thresholds of damage.

Also, Olifen, "Kneel before Atona!" not the most appropriate battle cry when we're, you know, murdering Atona. Then afterward Thage tells people it's not a good time to talk about religion even though we just killed god. Right. Thage totally the unofficial main character, by the way. It's so obvious someone on staff thought of her that way: she's the only one who can trigger combos in the last battle, her death there is the failure condition, her character art is on the soundtrack disc ("Thage vs. the Majin"), she figures out the time loop jiggery independently, etcetera. Which is okay, really, because she's actually pretty cool. "The more they boast, the better they roast." Also her representations notably outnumber everyone else's in the unlocked library of concept art (I didn't clear all of Stones of Fate, but I did enough of it to notice this). One of the early sketches has an extreme close-up of her bust, with some scrawled Japanese writing next to it that I have to assume translates as "You guys it's SUPER IMPORTANT that we get her cleavage rendered just right, can you see that I am serious?"

Pretty neat game? Worth a try if you just want a simple SRPG with some odd (usually good odd) quirks. Technically you are taking all five protagonists through the same dungeon, but there are multiple different routes and opportunities to switch between them midway, so while you're going to see some overlap eventually it doesn't feel so much like doing the same thing over and over again as it conceivably could have (everyone has personalized intro battle chains and plot bosses, too). The only really dickish thing is some obscure final chapter unlocks. Ashley's and Olifen's good endings are easy to sort out because the cast outright directs you down the proper path through clear dialogue references. For Thage, the only reason I knew to hit the dark path was that I knew from a previous character's run what the constant scythe references meant, and even then it turned out I couldn't do what I needed to do because I hadn't captured a specific optional boss on a specific map that is apparently plot-relevant for Thage even though the game in no way instructs you that taking this particular second stratum path is even important for her. Argh! Getting a full index of monsters (required for final chapter unlock) is also potentially tricky unless you go out of your way from the start to hit every optional boss. Chances are you're going to need to replay something to access the final chapter unless you do some FAQ-diving ahead of time. So that was annoying, but mostly the game avoids that feeling of wheel-spinning despite conceptually involving a lot of repetition.

Mercs recruited for each chapter:

Ashley: Ares, Yuri, Nena, Irina.
Olifen: Ares, Yuri, Vivian.
Thage: Ares, Yuri, Thage-- Nena, Alexei's Ridiculous Accent okay I guess Alexei's kinda worth using for battle prowess too.
Rondemion: Ares, Yuri, Vivian, Velnor, Irina.
Totally Not Hitler: I mostly stuck with the default array of, um...damn majin names. There was an archer dog and a dog dog and grasshopper chick and GARUDA and I think an unseelie and a lapis sylph? It hardly matters who you use here, his chapter is even easier than most.

Ares is amazing and I can't not recruit her at every opportunity. Compared to plot PCs she's a little fragile and just a tad lacking in damage, but she gets all the turns, runs halfway across the world, innately gets Dual Attack as well as a unique special, and has a mess of equip options that no one else can use. Yuri is probably technically the most valuable merc though just because of all those heals (you get lots of fighter recruits, not so much dedicated MT heals). Outside of those two it's almost academic who you recruit, anyone else tends to feel superfluous. The twins and Irina are adequate support characters but incapable of excelling at anything. Alexei deals truckloads of damage but is just sooooooo slooooooow. I never used Stein much because he was basically Nena except not a girl. Ditto Komori since he's a Yuri that trades some overall effectiveness for Fortify. This isn't really a winning trade. Koona are just haha no (I felt bad beating them up in Ro-man's chapter, though).

Probably gonna try and knock out some unfinished replays (CT, FFX, SC2) over the next week before Bloodborne comes out the Tuesday after next and my life is over (again).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:46:35 AM by El Cideon »

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 15, 2015, 04:04:52 AM »
HLM2: cleared the game in one sitting today out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

Pretty much what Fenrir said?  I'd forgive everything if I liked the level design but I don't, the stages are too big and there's glass everywhere and you can't really play it like you would HLM1.  Blitzing through the first game's Hot & Heavy stage as fast as you can is hard, but a very fun kind of hard.  Getting shot by someone you can't even see while shift-looking as far as you can in that direction because there's just that much open space in the level isn't fun.

I also want to register a complaint about the patrolling dogs in that night club stage where the screen's super dark and they're almost impossible to see.  I ended up having to take the level really really slow to avoid getting chomped on by invisidogs.  Verdict: queue up the HLM2 soundtrack and replay HLM1.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 15, 2015, 04:58:23 AM »
Codename STEAM: So Henry Flemming, John Henry, the Cowardly Lion and Tiger Lily all took down a giant ice spewing Lovecraftian Horror with a giant cannon on it's head, while Abraham Lincoln insures the safety of Queen Victoria.

...why don't History Books tell us this part of world history?