Author Topic: 2017 games in review  (Read 2183 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
2017 games in review
« on: January 01, 2018, 10:03:07 PM »
Since nobody's posted it yet, I guess I'll do the honors.  2017!  Games!

Previous years: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, 2016.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: 2017 games in review
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:26:24 PM »
Like many recent years there wasn’t a lot of game playing going on for me in 2017.  It was however a very strange year in one respect: all five of these games are in fact 2017 releases.  Guess the backlog will just have to suffer another year.

Presented now in rough ranking format.

5. Sonic Mania (PS4, 2017)

So I didn’t actually play this until about October, and I find myself almost forgetting I played it this year.  Which is sad, it’s really a striking game when it wants to be, with super vivid backgrounds and some pretty great level gimmicks.

Actually shoot, starting over.  So Sonic Mania is part of Sega’s next milestone year for Sonic, a sort of prelude to the main Sonic Team game, done by essentially an indie-style team of really dedicated fans headed up by the guy that created the PC ports for Sonic CD.

So yeah, 100% a Sonic game in the Genesis mold.  Except made by fans who’ve had 20-odd years to think of things they could do with 16-bit layouts that fit Sonic’s Gotta Go Fast attitude.  There’s a lot of love here.

The main trouble is the game gets pretty rude at points.  Last level I think I had to play like 10 times to various degrees to figure out the boss at the end, and not every attempt got that far.  I suppose maybe that’s a core appeal thing for some platformers but… as much as I’ve played me some Sonic games that probably shouldn’t come up.

6/10

4. Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep A Fragmentary Passage (PS4, 2017)

I am in love with the backgrounds in this game.  I don’t want to diminish the overall aesthetic value of a later game on the list, but well this is the only high budget big presentation game I played this year and Kingdom Hearts has always excelled at capturing the look of the constituent Disney bits and it’s the first KH game on a console in ten years and oh yeah this is the prologue to Kingdom Hearts III so yeah.

There’s uh.  Not a whole lot else going on in this game.  It did away with the command deck for… some reason?  Probably trying to be more like KHII, but in that event it does smooth out some of the dumb rough edges with it and carried over some of the command change mechanics from BbS, so that’s promising.  And they do get to do some stuff with Aqua since it’s basically 2 hours of her slowly losing her mind due to unknowably long periods of time in isolation followed by a kinda great retcon of KH1.  It’s cute.

But sure it’s fairly disposable, but can’t hate on it.

7/10

3. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS, 2017)

Normally I find that games tend to have strong climaxes (if not always great endings, endings are hard y’all) but take quite a while to get going.  Of course I also play the jRPGs.  Anyway, FE15 has a pretty great opening.  I immediately got Alm, Celica, and the bond between them.  And the pacing of the first chapter for each of them was pretty nice.  Made a point of doing all the side content, almost always a sign that it’s doing a lot right.

It loses the thread about halfway through.  Part of this is leftover dumb decisions from the original NES FE2: the main big bad for most of the game is presented entirely positively for no real reason, and in a way that kinda betrays a lot of the stuff they were trying to do with Alm.  And y’know the bit where the heroine has to spend the last chapter locked up and then is suddenly dumped on the final map without a chance to do last minute leveling or what have you.  Bleh.

But more than that the basic gameplay gimmick boils down to “Dungeons?  In my Fire Emblems?  It’s more likely than you think.”  And it’s kinda neat for a while during the early game dungeons which are a couple of rooms and you can hunt loot.  Everyone loves loot.  But once they get to be actually involved in the vein of a regular jRPG dungeon?  Well, no game has ever managed to make an encounter that lasts over 5 minutes not disorienting and a complete momentum killer and that trend remains unbroken.

There’s a bunch of minutia I could get into with the rest of this but I’m not sure it’d be meaningful to a general audience.  It’s pretty fun if you know your Fire Emblem but not a great entry point to the series and not necessarily compelling without that contrast to the rest of it.

7/10

2. Night in the Woods (Steam, 2017)

The main writer on this is a fellow from rural Pennsylvania.  The middle bits of Pennsylvania are mostly mining or steel mill towns separated by large mixes of fields and mountains.  Put in auto parts plants and remove the mountains, and you have just described the rural bits of Michigan.

Night in the Woods is about the antics of one girl with some really fucked up issues, her much more normal friends, and the strains she’s managed to put between all of them, but it’s equally about the harsh realities of the world around them.  The reality of the world is inseparable from the themes of the story, and the themes of the story are inseparable from the characters and how they try to live.  They can only be who they are, and they can only do what they do, because that’s just the world.  There’s an uncomfortable amount of “It Me” in this game, but simultaneously Mae is incredibly distinct; I’ve never done most of the things she’s done but I instantly recognize how she decided to do them all.  So maybe it’s not me, but it could have been perhaps.

But I think what I’m feeling from the game, sitting on it for a few months?  It’s a game that’s willing to sit down, breathe, and ask the hardest question: is there a future?

And it’s willing to give an honest answer:  I don’t know.  And it’s okay to live accordingly.

Um/10

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky The 3rd (Steam, 2017)

So after that philosophical comment you’d think there wouldn’t be another game above it, but here we are.  There’s a few special factors here:

The Trails series has become really the last video games I’m well and truly excited about.  I absolutely still play the remaining touchstones from the golden ages of jRPGs.  Or if not play, intend to play.  Fire Emblem still exists, I’ll get to FFXV… y’know, someday, I should probably pick up the newest Pokémon game.  But the knowledge there’s three of this series out there I can’t play because I foolishly didn’t spend the last 15 years studiously studying Japanese gnaws at me sometimes, and I feel a little jolt when the XSeed twitter account makes jokes.

It’s a thing.

This particular game is a sort of combination of two things, an epilogue to the preceeding Trails in the Sky game and extensive foreshadowing and lore building for future entries in the series.  Which doesn’t sound like GotY material, and probably isn’t, for all the main plot here is fine, the new lead character is interesting and has a couple real gut-wrenchers in his backstory, and… god damned if some of the goodbyes in the finale didn’t get me.

Every Trails game has reminded me strongly of all the things I’ve always stayed with this genre for, so even if 3rd was kinda average as a Trails game it’d score quite highly.

But there’s really two specific parts of the game that put it on top.

The first Trails in the Sky opens with Estelle and Joshua first meeting, but here in 3rd, now that we know Josh’s full backstory and have the full sense of the characters, they show us the rest, the moments that broke down Josh’s walls  and… well, the game’s main theme is called Whereabouts of Light.  It’s a song that Joshua plays on ocarina in-universe.  Guess what it ends up referring to.  And it works.  And… Estelle got more nuanced and capable as she grew up, but y’know what?  This younger Estelle is a lot more… her.  Estelle concentrate.  This is a girl that converts supervillains, bends stubborn fools to the light, and if it comes down to it, the gods will answer to HER.  And it’s on full display here and I love it.

The other is… just art.  The way they managed to present Dissociative Identity Disorder by switching to a format a bit like a visual novel was incredibly effective, beautifully captures the unreality of it.  Using that as a way to show the sheer crushing horror of the story, while not delving into detail, and also showing deftly how the character came out the other side alive and even remotely functional?  It’s haunting, but my faith in Falcom to pull off storytelling shot right the hell up.

But yeah, where NitW gave me complex things to much over in between and after playing the game and generated a lot of feels and respect after the fact and in conversation with others (not unlike Undertale in that respect, although I think I lilke NitW more just as a game), 3rd got me in the moment, with some actual tearbending.  That’ll almost always win the year.

9/10
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 01:53:43 AM »
With the birth of my first child in June, grad school ramping up to its finale, and teaching a course, I got far fewer games finished this year than I normally would have played, but I still played some good ones and am looking forward to things I missed at some point in the future (particularly Nier: Automata). Currently, I'm playing through Dragon Quest Monsters, which is fun but antiquated.

Shoutouts to Dragon Quest VII and VIII, which took up a lot of my game time in 2016 and 2017, but were not strictly-speaking new games to me. I preferred the original DQVII and liked the 3DS port of VIII more than the original. Both are amazing games worth playing for anyone.

8. Night in the Woods
This game seems to have touched a lot of people, but I felt very indifferent after finishing it. It's nihilistic at its core, which is cool I guess, but I felt the game was attempting to build to some point and never got there. The final act of the story was also rushed and felt out of place. Visual design was nice, but I just wasn't feeling it. Wins the award for least likeable main character of any game I played this year!

7. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
I was in no hurry to play this, and to be honest, I never actually did. I just watched a streamer's run. Playing games is hard with a baby around, okay? Anyway, I think this was actually an improvement over the second Walking Dead game; it didn't rely much on the past games for investment in characters and had a more interesting take on the settlement scenario. Still, I never got attached to the characters like I did in season 1. I think S1 was lightning in a bottle. There was a lot of blatant deus ex machina going on this time around, particularly near the end, when a character named Jesus literally shows up at the last minute and saves everyone. I guffawed.

6. Environmental Station Alpha
A pretty nice Metroid clone; good atmosphere and some interesting level design. I didn't care for the bosses and felt like the controls took a bit too much getting used to, but I can't say the game faltered all that much either in execution. It was fun, but I didn't leave it wowed or anything. Recommended if you need more Metroid clones in your life.

5. Bravely Second: End Layer
If I was scoring this entirely on creativity, I'd rank it more highly. I thought it was really cool that the developers came up with so many interesting new classes in what is essentially a tried and true JRPG. Unfortunately, the game itself doesn't feel balanced for all the different stuff it gives you, so I didn't feel challenged or invested like I did in the original Bravely Default. The script is hot garbage and it has one of the worst original soundtracks I've heard in an RPG. Everything else is pretty good. Despite bad writing, I liked the characters, particularly the two new main ones. It has all the bells and whistles that made BD's gameplay feel tight. It's a fun sequel, but nothing really special. Hopefully they get a solid team for the third game.

4. Final Fantasy XII (IZJS edition)
After all these years, I finally beat FFXII! Now I've finished all the mainline Final Fantasy games and can properly complain about this one. The thing is, I'm too tired to do that, and part of the reason is that this game was just so exasperating to play. It never ends, the combat ceases being interesting halfway through, and the plot just never picks up or gets exciting. The best parts of the game were the world design touches, which were admittedly well-handled, though it's a shame the first third of the game is spent in deserts without much variation. That was half the reason I got bored the first three times I tried to play through this. I'd say overall it's better than the first two Final Fantasy games, but that's about it. I'll tie it with FFXV as third-worst.

My opinion is that this game is virtually unplayable without the features added in IZJS (or The Zodiac Age). It's an insanely slow game, so having a built-in fast forward button was a godsend. Long load times, lots of waiting for the ATB/charge times to fill up so the AI can attack for you, and a walking speed that is just glacial all add up. I'd say roughly 30 of the hours I spent (out of 60 or so) were probably waiting for things to happen during combat, and I seriously doubt I'm exaggerating. I am not sure how so many people find this fun and think it's the best Final Fantasy game. I don't care if it makes me a dodo; I prefer the simpler combat in the earlier games and even the horribly broken battles of FFXV to this.

On a positive note, again IZJS related, the class system makes the game a lot more fun. For one, it offers a built-in challenge variant for people who want that. For another, it helps people who get overwhelmed with gigantic skill trees make decisions on how to build their characters. The game is strictly better for new players with this stuff. Too bad you'll still spend hours waiting on Cure spells to charge up no matter how you play!

3. Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle
Somehow, the only new tabletop game I played all year. It's fun, but feels a little scripted. It's a cooperative deckbuilder, sort of like Ascension (better than Ascension) but nowhere near as good as Dominion. The cooperative elements are lacking a bit, as there's no real reason to have hidden information or try and finagle a strategy among players. You could just as easily play the game solitaire as all four heroes and have a good time, i think.

I've seen criticisms of the theme, but I felt like it was very strong myself. The mechanics fit well with Harry Potter, and aside from impossible canon scenarios, you do kind of feel like you're fighting the Death Eaters. It was cool that the four playable characters develop their own skillsets over seven years. I also greatly enjoyed the Dice elements that get added starting in Year 4. A nice mixture of randomness with strategic decision making.

Overall, the game is very light, but it is actually quite challenging to win in the later years. I think it suits its audience well. Most are probably not hardcore gamers, but even they should be able to walk into victory with good enough draws. Cool game to play with other HP fans.

2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5
Just to be brief, P5 is P4 but mostly better in every way. (Aside from the core cast, which I felt was stronger in P4) Atlus truly did go out of their way to make the Persona experience as fine-tuned as possible. I'm not sure they can really improve on their formula anymore, and I hope they do something different if they continue with this series. While I loved this game, it honestly doesn't stand out much since it's just so similar to the previous game. 100% worth playing for any RPG fan ever, but nothing bold or innovative to see here.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Man, Nintendo did it. They got me to fully enjoy an open world game. This game sucked me in and didn't let me go for God knows how many hours. Sure, it's heavily flawed. Sure, it's a major departure for Zelda (not actually a bad thing). Sure, I'll probably never play it again since I found everything in it. None of that takes away from the sheer experience this game offers; with the sparse amount of risks Nintendo has taken with their core franchises recently, I'm shocked this got greenlit and produced. I don't even understand how a game makes holding up to climb mountains over and over such a fulfilling thing. Even the combat, while not great, is a major step up for the series. There are countless things I could praise about this, but I'd be here all day and I have to wake up in a few hours probably. All I can really say is that you should play this game and it will be totally worth it! Videos don't do it justice. Writing about it doesn't either. BOTW is a potential game-changer for the medium; I guess time will tell how that goes.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:42:37 AM »
Since nobody's posted it yet, I guess I'll do the honors.  2017!  Games!

I was just waiting for you to do it out of tradition and all.

6. Environmental Station Alpha
A pretty nice Metroid clone; good atmosphere and some interesting level design. I didn't care for the bosses and felt like the controls took a bit too much getting used to, but I can't say the game faltered all that much either in execution. It was fun, but I didn't leave it wowed or anything. Recommended if you need more Metroid clones in your life.

Where ESA sets itself apart is a robust and aftergame filled with puzzle-solving.  If translating alien languages and deciphering clues is your bag, that's where it sets itself apart.  If not, that's where it doesn't.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 05:18:25 AM »
5. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Feels old and clunky and generally like a bad black sheep of the family. I have very little to say about this game, its plot is bad, its gameplay is inferior, its art is worse than the other games, its in-game graphics are worse than other games, I’m not sure why it even exists. It’s not a huge chore to play or anything and if you want a pretty generic SRPG I guess it’s okay.

4. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

This game is quite a bit better than Shadow Dragon, with its good art and fun characters. Its gameplay is different and sometimes hit and miss, but at least it’s a little more interesting than the bore that is Shadow Dragon. The game has really nice voice acting and is in general really stylish. However, some of its plot points are very questionable and at times sexist. I know it is taking that partially from its source material, but it didn’t really help itself.

3. Bravely Second: End Layer

The game is basically Bravely Default with a new coat of paint with some very interesting class choices, but I felt that its battle design for bosses was a little less interesting than the previous game. I think that the other stuff about the game’s gameplay is technically better, but where the game really has issues is its coherency plotwise. Why is there suddenly an empire from nowhere in the last two years? Do you guys even know what an empire is? And the reasons for getting the asterisk from the last game is just… over the top ridiculous in a way that I find is a bit setting-defying (it reminds me of Pokemon, except without the inherent weirdness of Pokemon’s setting.) The character work isn’t as good as the previous game. I do like Yew and thing he is a funny little nerd, but I thought that Edea and Agnes were both not nearly as well done as they were in the previous game and that’s a shame. It’s still a decent game, but could have been great without the bad writing. The final boss sequence is awful.

2. Fire Emblem Heroes

Trash mobile game. Despite that, it’s actually pretty fun, strategic, and generally I have a good time playing it and collecting stuff in it. The fanservice game that I needed in my life this year.

1. XCOM 2

XCOM 2’s a pretty good time. It’s a lot like the first game, but with some key mechanics that make it a friendlier or more balanced experience. Grenadier, the replacement class for Heavy, is way better because of a variety of factors, but they add up to making them quite a useful class instead of a weakass class. The Concealment system is another thing that I really like because it let you look around the map more freely without worrying about fucking the whole mission up, which I appreciate and thought was a great feature. Lastly, I like the Doomsday clock style game over limit more than the “Depend on random events to go your way to not piss off countries” mechanic in 1. The final battle is also more stylish and more enjoyable.

Ranger is still pretty OP, though.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 05:29:02 AM »
Grade: Incomplete

Persona 5 - 3 palaces in, I feel it wouldn't be meaningful to judge the game. it started off very strong, has regressed a fair amount, which is disappointing but not entirely unexpected, and we shall see where it goes from here.

Yakuza Kiwami
- Remake of Yakuza 1 that I'm about halfway through.  Feels pretty shallow after playing Y0, but that's to be expected.  The plot...well, there's a chapter titled Funeral of Fists. so it's got that going for it!  It's all deliciously melodramatic.

GG Xrd Rev 2
- hard to rank this because it's a fighting game and most of what I'd rank would be the story mode. which is a good 8-10 hours of all told, and is solid, and occasionally brilliant. (there's a running gag that Sol and Ky both freak out whenever anyone asks questions about Dizzy that would imply that Sol is Ky's father-in-law. iiiiiiiiiiiit's great.) And all this attached to the best-looking fighting game ever created.

Touhou 16: Hidden Star in Four Seasons - a solid entry in the series. I've beaten it on normal with 1 character but I don't feel like I've really seen enough of it to judge it.

Other things I played that I'm not gonna rank:

1. A boatload of iOS rhythm games including but not limited to Tokyo 7th sisters, Theater Days, Deemo, LLSIF, deresute, and SB69
2. Reigns.  Too much of a timewaster to fit into srs bzns game ranks
3. Ys VI, which I played through on catastrophe mode for the first time. It's a game, does medium size cast of NPCs very well, in the Falcom tradition. Combat and level design they hadn't quite figured out yet.
4. ToME Embers of Rage - finished the Orc campaign.  ToME is difficult to rank because it requires SO much game system knowledge to really get the most out of it.  I like it and I'd recommend it, but it's a whole thing.  I will say that the Orc campaign writing is a step up from the main game in the deadpan humor category, and that's saying something.
5. Thumper, another rhythm game.  Decently cool; haven't played much of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ranking all the games I finished or at least am done with this year from worst to best, as one does.

16. Professor Layton and the Curious Village - not really very good. oh well!

15. Sundered - it's fun in places but ultimately a drag.  Had a pretty bad screen-tearing issue on PC that I could never figure out how to fix.  I wish I could rate this game higher, because it does a lot of things right, and is occasionally a lot of fun.  But the overall experience is not great.  Hate to see a game that is less than the sum of its parts, but that's a pretty accurate description.

14. Project Diva: X - a disappointment, frankly. they added RPG-ish elements to the game, and it was a bad design decision. the music videos are pared back, too, so that mostly they just consist of divas dancing on various stages instead of the more elaborate stuff from prior games. has some pretty great music, at least! Brain Revolution Girl is a delight.

13. Elliot Quest - Finally finished this after a couple false starts.

I like Elliot Quest, but it is just too damn slow for its own good.  Has a cool world map, interesting plot, some neat boss fights, great level design.  And everything is just too damn slow.  It is remarkable - and not in a good way - how a compelling platformer in the mold of Zelda 2 can produce so much frustration.  All that said...I still recommend it for anyone who loves poking around nooks and crannies.  There are so many places to go, and they connect very satisfyingly.

---------------This is the dividing line between games I would recommend and games I wouldn't.  There are a lot of games above this line, I am happy to report.

12. Odin Sphere: Lieftrasir - a worthy remake of a game that is very creative but also drags a bit too much. It's hard to overstate how much better and more fun combat is in the remake.

11. Ys Seven - probably doesn't help that I played this in the same year as Ys 8. It's a good game, mostly overshadowed by its sequel. hack-and-slash combat is a blast, bosses are cool, plot is serviceable, Dogi is great.

10. Ace Attorney 6: Spirit of Justice - good AA entry, liked it a lot better than AA5. Cases are generally good, divination was a neat idea and they explored it so thoroughly that I hope they're basically done with it now. (The game reminds me a little bit of F:s/N in its sheer dedication to dissecting and deconstructing its central gimmick.) I have high hopes for the series going forward.

9. Nioh - It's a testament to how damn good 2017 was for games that Nioh is so far down my list.  Nioh is great and I played the hell out of it.

8. Dark Souls 3 - a worthy sendoff to the series, technically polished, extremely strong level/weapon/boss design, but it also makes it pretty clear that From has run out of insights into Dark Souls mythology.  And this shouldn't be too much of a surprise considering that the a core part of the Dark Souls mythology seems to be that everything that happened in the whole of human history is barely important in the grand scheme of things. Anyway. This game is stylish as fuck and a ton of tense fun, and anyone who played it but never got around to the DLC can look forward to some of the coolest bosses in this or any other game.

7. Yakuza 0 - https://twitter.com/camperjon/status/905632458485276674?lang=en

Crime man doing crimes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj8F3tDRzXo

Crime man doing karaoke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Mo7U0XSFo

6. Nier - did not disappoint. holy shit this game. the thesis of the game is that people are capable of committing horrific atrocities as long as they have a firm belief in the righteousness of their cause. the method of delivering that message - by having you do the same damn plot over again, this time with the player (but not the character) having added perspective, works very well. also the music. wow.

5. Project Diva: Future Tone - an exemplary rhythm game. also? hard.

Game over return of Charleston

4. Ys 8: Lacramosa of Dana - I've raved about it plenty. Don't have much more to say now other than it's some of the most fun you could have in a hack-and-slash game, and the music is superb. would easily be the best soundtrack for a new game this year if it weren't for Nier:A.

3. Hollow Knight - Still PC only, but when it coes out on Switch you can rest assured I will resume hounding people to play it. I think this is the very best metroidvania I've played in a long time, and for my money there have been some solid ones in the past few years. Great music, superb art and animation, truckloads of content, heavily customizable loadout, challenging bosses you can approach in a number of ways, cool plot, admirably nonlinear.

2. Bloodborne - I've just posted my review of this so I won't say much more other than that if you don't have a ps4, this is a compelling reason to get one.

1. Nier:Automata - Hell of a game.

EDIT: added Sundered
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:50:44 PM by NotMiki »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 08:01:10 AM »
10. Path of Exile: Fall of Oriath (PC)

I mean I guess that expansion is large enough for it to count for the purposes of this list, despite me playing PoE when it was in open beta.  Mainly reinforces my non-fandom of Diablo-likes but at least it's kind of interesting in places and sometimes I just feel the need to run a thing that vomits Tornado Shot at everything.

9. Disgaea D2 (PS3)

Not gonna lie I mostly played this because I heard Flonne hype.  The game does play better than the other two Disgaea games I played but it's still better off approached as a puzzle game than an SRPG.  Also it's not terribly funny, which is a sad thing to see in the series.

8. Suikoden Tactics (PS2)

So this is kind of sort of cheating since I tried my hand at it a few years ago and petered out about midway through and then decided y'know I should actually finish this.  It's not particularly great at being Suikoden and spends more time explaining S4's unanswered plot points than its own but it was still enjoyable enough for what it was.

7. Trails of Cold Steel 1 (PC)

I'm not nearly as enamored with Trails as a series as some (despite being silly enough to play the Crossbell games), especially Sky FC/SC, but I have to agree that this is a bit of a disappointment in places.  On the one hand, better gameplay, yay!  On the other hand wtf is that ending, unthing.  Also more anime, which is a mistake (not that previous games weren't fairly anime, but they didn't have ALISA R, AGENT OF MYSTERY).  Le sigh.

6. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)

This wants to be great, but it probably would've been better off if it had burned down the kagatopia and rewrote acts 4/5 instead of trying to expand on it, and like Ciato said the writing is bizarrely sexist at times.  The game also kept some particularly bad design decisions from the original that the series was better off leaving dead, but hey the game is still a fairly fresh departure from a lot of series norms and is at least a better and more interesting remake than Shadow Dragon and New Mystery were.

5. Pokemon Sun (3DS)

The good: Team Skull, grass owl, Mimikyu, HMs ARE DEAD PRAISE THE LORD
The bad: SOS battles, holy shit this lags my 3DS like mad in team fights, why won't the ending end

Otherwise, is Pokemon.

4. Trails in the Sky 3rd (PC)

So the Sky 3rd is strange and a bit hard to rate fairly, but still the sort of game that I wouldn't be displeased to see more of.  Unfortunately elaborating on it goes into heavy spoilers but in all I think I like it the best out of the Sky games?

3. Persona 5 (PS3)

I'm even less enamored with nuPersona than I am with Trails and yet here it is, a nuPersona in my top 3, what a year.  It commits a few too many missteps for me to say it's truly great at what it wants to do but it has fun doing it, which is more than I felt from P3 and 4 (3 in particular), and while the gameplay isn't anything groundbreaking, at least they straightened out a fair amount of problems the previous games had.

2. Tonfa Fantasy 7 (PSX)

I basically haven't played FF7 in forever, was generally ambivalent towards it, and this raised my estimation of it by about 3 points so it totally counts (PS play TF7).

1. Tangledeep (PC)

And my top game this year is a roguelike, which outside of a few exceptions is a genre I have extremely little regard for, and currently in early access to boot.  What a year.  Anyways it is a charming little game with a 16-bit era aesthetic with a FF5-like job system and manages to be highly accessable and fair.  It doesn't pull a lot of the cheap death tricks, out-of-depth enemy spawns, or information-hiding nonsense that one associates with the worst parts of the genre, instead emphasising smart, tactical play and demanding that you pay attention or you'll die (probably to something that summons frogs at you because there is always more and it is always frog summoners) because your healing is limited and, with I believe the grand total of one exception that only heals you if you're poisoned (which is actually somewhat rare), entirely dependent on your stock of consumeables, which may not necessarily be as potent or act as quickly as you need them to be (or paying a turtle increasing amounts of money back at the main hub), and it'll be pretty much entirely your fault if you do die.

Oh yeah it also has permadeath settings and various optional junk that effectively behaves as a difficulty slider based on how much/little of it you want to partake of but really not only has it become my favorite roguelike it's also the only game on this list I'd call great.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 05:23:47 AM »
Like many others, this was a slower gaming year for me than many in the past; life got in the way (in a good way, generally!).

Games I replayed this year:

Final Fantasy 13: Did a brutally hard challenge run (no crystarium until C9 -> secondary roles only from C10 on).
Final Fantasy Dimensions: Did a brutally hard challenge run (solo).
Final Fantasy 5: Did a fiesta run, #krile mode (change earth job at that point). 2 Red Mages, a Mystic Knight, and a Blue Mage -> Ninja. It was, fortunately, not brutally hard.
Undertale:: Did a challenge run (no items + initial armour, relaxed to just no items against Asgare), but mostly this was about experiencing Undertale goodness again.
Super Mario 3D World: Still the best platformer of the past decade, at least.
Zelda 2: Random enjoyable game from my childhood.
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright Lunatic, and now Conquest Lunatic (though that one's not yet complete). If I'm being honest, Fire Emblem Fates is my game of the year (again). Not only did I play it twice, but how much I liked it had a direct influence on 3 of the 10 new games I played this year (especially Heroes and Warriors).

Games I played this year in a new way!

Shovel Knight - Played as Spectre Knight. Stages are re-designed and are a lot of fun with Spectre Knight's unique way of platforming. Bosses sadly are a step back, but the stage design is good enough that I wasn't too bothered. Plot is still pretty bad.

Tonfa Fantasy 7 - An excellent hack of FF7 which rebalances it. Challenge is in a tougher but very fair place, character balance is good/interesting, all of FF7's systems just work better. It's pretty great. I like a lot of things about FF7 but its easy and poorly balanced nature make it a hard game to play often in the 21st century, so it'll be good to run through this one again whenever the FF7 mood strikes me.

And finally, the new games!

10. Divinity: Original Sin (PC, Larian, 2014)

I played this game for about five hours or so. The fact that I dropped it isn't entirely a criticism on its quality; I was playing it going into the events surrounding the wedding this summer so that'd derail most games. I felt it did have unusually good gameplay for the type of game it is; proper turn-based an action system similar to that of various stratey-esque tabletop games. It didn't really seem like the gameplay would be good enough to carry the game though.

And really the game wasn't engaging me too much otherwise. The first few hours of the game felt like extremely stock, mediocre D&D-type adventure which I guess is a selling point for WRPG fans, but falls flat for me. Too much NPCs talking at you, with character development taking a backseat to forced roleplaying, too much wasting time. I played five hours and I felt like I hadn't even started scratching the surface of the game. Ain't got time for that any more, not unless a game is really wowing me.

I may return to it at some point, but no clue.

No rating

9. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U, Nintendo/Retro, 2014)

In this game you play as Donkey Kong as he battles fiends causing winter on his tropical island. Or at least that's how the game starts and ends, I think it forgets about this in the middle.

If you've played Donkey Kong Country games before you kinda know what to expect with this one. As always, there are a bunch of secrets to hunt for if you care (I don't). As always, you can't really do much besides jump and roll. Like with Returns, I felt the game was at its best when you were either riding in a rocket barrel or mine cart, or escaping from something crazy; when the game is hectic, it has an identity. The rest of the time it is rather forgettable.

It doesn't do much terribly wrong but nor does it do that much that really makes it stand out from all the other quality platformers I've played in recent years. The biggest positive thing I can say is that it's pretty! The biggest negative thing is that its bosses are terrible, generally taking way too long (I timed one as like 5 minutes, which is longer than most stages) as you wait for your opening to attack.

Rating: 5/10

8. Invisible Inc. (PlayStation 4, Klei, 2015)

It's a strategy game, that's cool! And with no randomness in the execution of its battles. You sneak through levels, getting the drop on guards to stun them, all while a timer presses you on. Pretty fun hook.

But ultimately I didn't really like this game as much as I'd hoped to. Maps are designed procedurally and despite taking a while, can easily turn out "trivially easy" or "well that was a dick move" as a result. One of the best strategies of the game is to drag stunned guards around for a while which is really boring. I feel like the game would have been a lot more fun with pre-designed maps for you to puzzle your way through.

When I beat the game it told me to play it again on a higher difficulty, which makes sense since by the end I was finding things very easy. I check that out and the higher difficulty is a rogue-like "restart entire playthrough if things go wrong"? lol no thanks.

Rating: 5.5/10

7. Mighty No. 9 (Wii U, Comcept, 2016)

I should have played more games this year so this could be two spots lower.

Anyway, it's a Mega Man game. It's actally less "file the serial numbers of Mega Man" than you might have expected, since the airdash mechanic gives it a very different feel as a platformer. But you still beat up eight robots and collect their powers.

The internet apparently decided it hated this game before it came out, and at times the detractors have a point. I don't object to using the 2.5D style of Mega Man 8/etc. over the NES style like some, but it is a rather ugly game. And it doesn't play quite as smoothly as I'd like.

But it's still quite a bit of fun anyway. The bosses have more personality than your usual slate of MM bosses, the new weapons are fun, and there are some extremely fun boss fights in that usual Mega Man way. Stage design is a mix but not really great overall.

So... yeah, it's a below average Mega Man. That's still decent enough for me, but if you didn't like Mega Man this game probably isn't going to change your mind.

Rating: 6/10

6. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, 2017)

I played three Fire Emblem games this year, and the "real" one is the worst, go figure. It's still pretty good though.

The game embraces the fact that it's a remake of a very weird game. At times, the differences are a breath of fresh air. Spells costing HP is a neat mechanic. Archers having an actual niche instead of just being bad is nice as well. Terrain has a huge impact... well, interesting at least.

At times, though, Gaiden's old clunkiness shines through; there are too many maps which limit your movement or have poorly thought-out enemy positioning. The ability to only use one weapon drains a lot of the life out of Fire Emblem to me. Dungeons are just... not much fun, getting into procedurally generated FE fights on boring maps as a form of random encounter turns out to be kinda bleh. Forging is the worst implementation yet, with a system of hidden upgrades you have to use a guide for.

The game also wins the award for most frustrating plot in years. To some extent this is a reflection of one of the game's strengths: it does a good job of characterisation (the pretty art and good voice acting help), so when the plot goes super-mega-dumb in the final act (and in several ways at once), it stings.

Rating: 6.5/10

5. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Wii U, WayForward, 2016)

It's the third year in a row I've played a Shantae game. Half-Genie Hero, fortunately, falls much closer to Pirate's Curse than it does to Risky's Revenge, for all that mechanically it's more of an updated version of the latter. Genie transformation powers make their return from Risky's Revenge, but they're both more varied/interesting and the transformation sequence for getting them is much faster.

The game is definitely more linear than previous Shantae games, more Mega Man than Metroidvania. I'm pretty okay with this. It still delivers some pretty fun stages, and the boss fights are generally great. As with previous Shantae games, you can pretty much cruise to a free win by spamming items, but I find the game's challenge to be a good place if I didn't, so that was a problem with an easy solution.

Also as with other Shantae games, there's some snappy writing and memorable characters to keep you entertained. It's not perfect in this regard, but it ensures that the game beats out the other platformers I played this year.

Rating: 7/10

4. Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch, Nintendo/Koei Tecmon, 2017)

Hyrule Warriors was a game I ended up liking way more than I expected, so I was certainly up for more, with a coat of paint more to my liking. Fire Emblem Warriors, like all Warriors games, is about the ridiculousness of your controlling one powerful warrior to take on literally thousands of soldiers by themselves, which isn't really my favourite concept at base, but being a big fan of some of the characters does help.

The game ups the strategy elements of the series by allowing you to control up to four different units (either directly or by giving them orders) so it actually feels more like a proper battle instead of a one-man show. This is welcome, especially since Fire Emblem's trademark weapon triangle features prominently and helps reward using different units to deal with different situations.

The stylishness/fanservice is fun enough, and extends in particular to the music, with its rockin' takes on some Fire Emblem tracks.

The game does have a few missteps compared to Hyrule Warriors, and other ways I wish the game had improved more than it did. The biggest step back is that enemy commanders and bosses aren't nearly as well designed. Hyrule Warriors wasn't Bayonetta, but it was passingly close in the way it rewarded you to learn enemy patterns and react to and punish them. There's little need for that in FEW, both because enemies are simpler and also because you can just use combos to expose their weak points, so it's hardly ever worth it to do much besides bash away at 'em. The fighting styles of the playable cast aren't as varied overall, probably because they were constrained by the weapons which already existed in Fire Emblem.

Rating: 7.5/10

3. Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, 2017)

Gacha is bad and should feel bad, but darned if this game wasn't fun anyway. I played two Fire Emblem fanservice games this year and ultimately this was the one I was happier with. It's a shockingly well-balanced little strategy RPG and has benefitted from being a living game in that it has improved significantly as the year has gone on.

Gameplay-wise it's four characters on a 6x8 grid with greatly lowered movement, but ends up working well. Gameplay is non-random which is a nice twist (not saying I'd want it for every game, but it works well here). Like Fates there are lots of skill interactions and enemy AI to consider, and planning out moves is a lot of fun. It's also got a fun skill system (and though the pieces for it are trapped behind RNG, you get a lot of them even without spending money if you stick with the game long enough) so building teams for the game's various content is fun. Some of the game's content explicitly rewards making many teams (up to 7) so it's not just a matter of using one powerful team all the time, and some other of the content reaches very high levels of difficulty and is fun to plan for.

As a fanservice game it delivers well too, with lots of pretty art (and some not so pretty; the Elibe games do not bat well here...) and adorable chibi sprites. It draws from a larger pool of games than Warriors does, though the draw of music isn't as good. The game has been a bit slow with getting characters in, I feel, probably because they're trying to stretch things out over the better part of a decade.

There are limits to how high I want to rank a game of this type but it's a lot of fun. I'm still into it even now (the game's structre makes it near-endlessly engaging) and there's zero doubt it's the game I spent the most time playing this year.

Rating: 7.5/10

2. XCOM 2 (Playstation 4, 2K Games/Firaxis, 2016)

XCOM 2's basically a straight improvement on the first game, which is a nice thing to say since I already liked the first game a fair deal.

XCOM 1 was a good time but I had a few complaints. Some are definitely addressed here! XCOM gameplay is at its worst when you slowly crawl around waiting to trigger enemies; most missions now have time limits to press you forward and hey this makes the game more fun. There's a great variety in mission types (I was getting new ones up to near the end of the game). Enemy balance is better (no more lategame Thin Men and enemies are generally more interesting. Class balance is better too, with most of the classes feeling useful and no one dominating too hard (Ranger probably would but moving forward often has a big downside in XCOM).

Speaking of that downside, one of XCOM 1's other big problems is still there, where activating two enemy groups at once is something you need to try to avoid and it can sometimes be nonsensical; if you move into a sight line with a new enemy group near the end of your turn (and it's pretty easy to do this by accident on some maps) you trigger a group of enemies that gets to act right away. I'm not certain what the fix is for this, really. In the game's defence I'll note that it has a way of handling reinforcements which is generally much better, giving you a warning before they appear.

The plot has an interesting hook but you ain't playing this game for plot anyway; the aliens remain so over-the-top comically evil that any attempts at nuanced plot fall flat.

Overall though this is just another solid SRPG goodness, weighing the probabilities of your actions and trying to find the safest way to complete your mission alive.

Rating: 8/10

1. Nier: Automata (Playstation 4, Square Enix/Platinum, 2017)

So sometimes it's nice to have games that I do play for writing.

Let's talk about the other things Nier: Automata does first. It's made by Platinum, so you know you have some solid 3D action content coming your way. It's not the best of the genre at this (in fact, it's fair to say that if the game had mediocre/no story, I'd recommend passing on this) but combat is smooth and generally a lot of fun to play. Like the first Nier there's some definitely genre mix-up in here as well; space shooters of various form feature prominently, as does a hacking "mini-game" which ends up being quite a large amount of the game's content which kinda resembles Asteroids of all things (and probably some other things since; that's not a genre I've kept up with!). No one form of gameplay is pulled off perfectly but the varied and often story-appropriate experiences are engaging. Even more than Shantae, item-spam breaks the game in half (and sadly it's too hard to play without items, I felt) so there's a lack of feeling of real challenge but there are worse criticisms to level at a plot game.

The writing though, is good stuff. Without spoiling anything... the setting is unique and intriguing. The characters seem like they might be shallow at first but by the end of the game, you dig down into them really deep. Strong emotions come into play here; you see the characters deal with some incredible difficulties and the game does not shy away from the terrible effects these have. The game is relentlessly dark, at times crushingly so, but also a game of hope and whimsy, and mixes in some wicked humour even during some of its darkest periods. And finally, the game is beautifully translated; one of the few Japanese games where the English text and voice acting (which is stellar, incidentally) feel entirely, 100% natural.

I do have some reservations, things that keep Nier: Automata from being an all-time great for me. At the end of the day, as great as the game is, it could have been even better. Gameplay's one obvious place, I won't mention that again. And the plot, well... it's good, but some of the lategame stuff could have been amazing but definitely fell short of that level.

Also the music (and the use of it in-game) is amazing but you probably don't need me to tell you that. If there was any doubt this was going to be my best new game of the year, the soundtrack pushes it over the top.

Rating: 8.5/10

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 09:39:49 AM »
First of all how dare you.

Second of all Lucina’s wedding dress is amazing and how dare you.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
a hacking "mini-game" which ends up being quite a large amount of the game's content which kinda resembles Asteroids of all things (and probably some other things since; that's not a genre I've kept up with!).

they're called twin-stick shooters /pedantic

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 05:23:12 PM »
Hardly pedantic; like I said, I haven't kept up with the genre, so knowing the proper label for it is good. :)

(NA didn't convince me I want to go out and play more games like it but it was a fun diversion within the game itself.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 11:00:53 PM »
Twin stick shooters are one of those genres I love in theory and never seem to find a great exemplar of.  One fascinating game that is LIKE a twin stick shooter is Bleed (Also Bleed 2 but I haven't played it yet) which is a 2d platformer with 360 degree aiming a la twin stick shooters.  It also has bullet time and a unique double jump that you can aim in any direction.  It is about as good a simulation of what The Matrix must have felt like as you could imagine.  Slo mo jump in the air and dodge projectiles by changing direction whilst shooting in any direction: yes, please.  (The only knock on the game, and it's regrettably a big one, is that it is hard to find the number of fingers on your hand to actually DO all that stuff at once.  But when you do man you feel so cool.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA0OqXpgebg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:02:37 PM by NotMiki »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 11:52:41 PM »
Persona 5 (PS4) - Always rebel
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (PC) - Miu is my spirit animal
Doki Doki Literature Club (PC) - n o t h i n g ' s  w r o n g
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS  (3DS) - I didn't actually make any levels but there's a challenge mode with premade levels and achievements which is super solid, 100%ed that
DOOM (PC) - Oddly competent and the cinematic takedowns help by enabling my badness
Super Metroid (SNES) - I took a drink for every failed walljump and grapple and now I'm actually dead
Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (PC) - g e n t l e
Destiny 2 (PC) - If you put a mediocre shooter on the PC it's at least playable
Cthulhu Saves the World (PC) - Zeboyd is a bit too minimalistic for me, Angels run stalled out at Dacre
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! S (PC) - Why is this game not any other genre other than the one it is, I'd rather see people be hit by stop signs
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:49:56 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 05:10:57 AM »
This year I played a ton of new games, but like over half of them are from Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy.

Persona 5: The best GUI to ever tell a story about sexual abuse-induced attempted suicide and then play up the cheesecake and crack jokes about a girl flaunting her naked body to achieve her goals within 3 hours of story-telling. Apart from that HUGE misstep, this game is great, and I actually 100%-ed the Persona Dex. The streamlined system is so much more enjoyable to play around with and it actually rewards proper persona planning. Makoto is best girl. Kawakami can die in a fire.

Pokemon Sun: Oh hey, a Pokemon game with an actual anime plot. How novel! All the new additions to this iteration of the Pokemon formula are a welcome change. I think we have finally reached the point where if we compared the current game in the series to the first game in the series, it would look as different as Zelda 1 does from Zelda 2. Maybe.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: Technically haven't finished this yet, but I love this battle system so much I want another JRPG to crib this formula PLEASE!

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Open-world solo RPGs still aren't my thing. Heavy exploration games wear me out after about an hour. I REALLY liked that hour, though! After that, I beelined through the main plot dungeons and gathered all the story bits. I love this cast. Sidon gets a special mention for being simply perfect. I actually felt some genuine emotion for Zelda in this game, and that's a series first!

Donkey Kong Country Returns: I really wanted a platformer to play with one of my buddies who loves platformers. I heard this game was a great return to form for the DK series. It... sufficed. I think I should have grabbed Tropical Freeze instead.

Fire Emblem 4 Geneology of the Holy War: Wow, I did NOT realize how much Fire Emblem was into incest. I mean, I knew FE8 had that weird thing going on, but I figured that was just people reading into it too much. FE4 proved me wrong! Despite that, I actually found myself quite taken with the strange departure from the usual series trappings. The huge maps sounded awful on paper, but I enjoyed how it mixed up the formula for me after playing FEs 11-14 all within a relatively short amount of time from eachother. I thought the abundance of cool holy dragoon weapons was a pretty cool method of making geneology a relevant plotpoint AND gameplay mechanic. Some nice touches in this ancient SNES game. But again, shame about all the incest. And the way the gameplay rewards the player for pairing incestuous couples. ...seriously.

Fire Emblem 5 Thracia 667: Same world, more localized focus, darker plot, smaller maps, more modern FE conventions, less incest! Sounds like the perfect game, right? But then you realize you are playing Fire Emblem Thracia 667. I am going to slap the man who invented Ninja Reinforcements. And those aren't even the MOST egregious sin that Thracia 667 commits. Just the most common. That said, I did find myself really liking a lot of the darker plot points in this game. I would have liked to see a little more of this world.

Shovel Knight  (WiiU) - Hey this got updated! It's pretty great. I really would like to see this developer actually make a new game at some point though...

Doki Doki Literature Club  (Steam) - MONIKA/10. If there's anyone who hasn't played/watched this yet, get on that.

Romancing SaGa 2  (iPhone) - Man, I love SaGa weirdness, but I was not prepared for this game. It is certainly unique. It goes up there with FE11's Trial by Devil Axe and Valkyrie Profile DS in the list of 'Games that make you kill off your friends'. It's unpleasant. Mechanically interesting if you do your homework BEFORE jumping in and playing it. I don't know how little Japanese kids played this on their own in the SNES era before gameFAQs...

Fire Emblem Heroes  (iPhone) - Bite-sized FE on the go! I love it, but my ever-growing rage at Gacha games is eroding my good will for even Nintendo.

Final Fantasy Dimensions 2  (iPhone) - On the other side of the coin, here is a game that was designed with Gacha, but then ended it, and removed the Gacha bullshit. The story is pretty rough early on, but I think this is probably my Favorite Mobile Game, not just of this year, but to date. A worthy successor to FFD1, despite initial impressions.

Lunar Walking School  (GG) - My retro game this year. It's so bad you guys. The fan translation has a few chuckles, but it is impressively bad to play. I haven't seen a difficulty curve this horizontal since Rhapsody. Technically this is older than Rhapsody, so this might literally be "Baby's First JRPG."

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth  (PS3) - Oh hey, it's Shin Megami Tensei but with a less bullshit plot. Instead it's cheesy saturday morning cartoon drama! Sign me the fuck up! I had a great time with this little distraction. Haven't had this much fun with a Monster-collection RPG in a while. Pokemon, you need to mix things up more.

I Am Setsuna  (Steam) - The most aggressively 5/10 game of all time. I still highly recommend it for anyone who has replayed Chrono Trigger 5 times and wants to play it again, only with a new aesthetic and character builds. You should probably be a big fan of FFX's plot, too.

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance  (PS4) - And this. God dammit. I have ranted repeatedly about this game for six months.
Disgaea 5 is the best Disgaea game to play while skipping the plot sequences. And it pains me so much to admit that. I am the biggest fan of Nippon Ichi, but Disgaea 5 missed everything about the previous Disgaea games that made their stories special and worthwhile.
The main protagonist is so bland that I genuinely thought his blandness was supposed to be a parody of how JRPG protagonists are usually so dull and cookie-cutter. I was literally halfway through the game before the realization sunk in that this wasn't a joke.
There's even a character (Red Magnus) who starts out hilarious, but then he gets a character arc that seems designed solely to make him stop being a fun Disgaea character, and instead becomes a JRPG trope... It's just disappointing all around. A betrayal from my favorite game series.
For those who've always thought "Hey, y'know that Disgaea series sure would be great if only it was exactly like every other power-of-friendship JRPG you've ever played, only everyone has bat wings", this is the game for you!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:12:28 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 06:01:02 AM »
Trails in Cold Steel 1 and 2: Just doing these together. 1 is a fantastic fun time, fantasy Persona 4 and all. Smooth battle system, very good prologue intro (almost more anime than game-ish). Despite some tropey missteps, 1 is just great until the very very end which I can't help but ding a point for but even I know I'm being overly harsh. But that's just how good everything was before it and how cheap it felt. 2 just bites off more than it can chew, and eccentric boss squad, like in TitS2, is not as interesting as they seem to think. Still some good moments though. Best 150 hours you can spend outside maybe playing 2 Personas?

Pokémon Moon: I'm not as high on this game as other people. While yes, it's an attempt to have an actual story it's very shallow and rushed. Very similar to Black. However, BW's supporting cast was much more fun, and generally things were handled better. Black's problem is just that it was way too padded out outside the plot, while SunMoon was way too short to support the story it wanted to tell. Gave me a new appreciation of BW anyway... Gameplay continues to chug along and improve incrementally. Series still needs a hard mode. Great to see Poison types get such a boost with all the Grass types running around. If there was one type that needed a time to shine...

Persona 5: Lots I could say about the game. Almost disturbingly topical at the time it came out.  On the one hand I wouldn't mind if they finally moved on from this system, on the other I would really, really want to see what they could do centering one around adults. Mishima is human garbage, of course. I'd write more, but my goddamn cat says I have to go to bed.

Destiny 2: How do you make a sequel to a game that's had 4 years to fine-tune itself? Release a sequel where it's obvious they learned nothing the first time around. Throws out all the interesting lore, all the interesting gameplay options, all the interesting locations... I'll give the game this. It does actually set up a compelling reason everything resets, and sets up the new guy as a legitimate threat. The first couple story missions are fantastic. Except... obviously they don't let anything last. All too quick and easy status quo is re-established and it all feels wasted. Except now you're left with a pit of shallow options whereas before you had a ton of content, and barely any of the changes were for the better. It's still fun I guess, but going back to Destiny 1 it feels like THAT is the sequel with how polished and full it is.

Vandal Hearts 2: The surprise of the year, honestly. Once you get past the wonky SRPG combat system there's a meaty story to be found here for the PS1 era. Very similar to FFT, actually. Civil war plot, though with multiple sides with each having outside benefactors with their own aims. All the characters have motivations, from your NPC allies to the majority of the villain cast important and minor. While nothing overly complex, it's well thought out, for the time and even in general. And everyone gets an epilogue! It's a slow starter, to the point where I dropped it for a while, but it well and truly tips and I played the rest of the 75% of the game in record time. Seriously, if you're curious for a unique sort of PS1 era SRPG, try it out. Once you figure out how to manipulate the AI even the wonky slow battle system becomes pretty fun.

Doki Doki Literature Club: Just Monika
Just Monika
Just Monika
Just Monika
Just Monika

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 06:03:03 AM »
Yeah but VH2 doesn’t have nearly as chunky audio and Ninja Scroll ass blood fountains Sopko so it sucks.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 07:00:48 PM »
I mostly play mobile games, but also played:

Persona 5:  Good, but worse than 3 and 4.

Pokemon Sun:  Quite good!  I would probably enjoy it more if I wasn't so fucking burned out on Pokemon forever. (Also, my kid got me Ultra Moon for Christmas.  I have to pretend I want to play it now)

Overwatch:  is life.  Go Dallas Fuel.  I would say go Houston Outlaws also, but their colors are boring.

============
Mobile games

Devil Breaker remains the game I will recommend to anyone who wants a nice mobile experience without being fucked in the ass by greedy developers.  Strategy game that doesn't do anything terribly innovative, just does everything well.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius continues to be a solid title.  A bit grindy at times (back to back Mog King events?  fuck you). but good gameplay and fair to f2p unlike FFRK.

Dragon Project:  Pleasant surprise of recent times.  MMO Monster Hunter without the slow-paced monster chasing.  Good combat system, good fashion souls.

South Park Phone Destroyer:  I'm not totally in love with this but I still play it.  Very unique gameplay that works well for mobile.

Spell Chaser:  was amazing but the devs randomly shut it down.  I cry :(

Monster Cry:  was great but the devs got super greedy and ramped up the gacha screwing to max so I quit.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 10:07:34 AM »
wants a nice mobile experience without being fucked in the ass by greedy developers

you can't kink shame me

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
Not in any particular order or rankings

Nier Automata - Hey, Taro finally got that budget he always wanted (unlike Drakenguard 3 that game was shit).  Next time please tone down the bullet hell stuff, no one likes bullet hell.

Tales of Berseria - On the all time Tales ranking List this game goes below Abyss and Veserpia but above the rest.  I feel like the series still hasn't made that gen leap from the PS2 days aside from slightly nicer graphics.  Also I have never seen a character talk so fucking much than Eizen.  Goddamn dude just shut up you don't have to explain every single little detail.

Zelda Breath of the Wild - Finally an open world game other than New Vegas that got my attendition for more than 4 hours.  BotW is just a fun game to dick around and explore and find new shit without a bunch of doll-like NPCs spewing thousands of little sidequest that you can do.  Big Props to letting you run out nearly naked straight to Ganon and kill him with a mop or pitchfork.

Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia - they had the chance to make it LESS like Gaiden but choose to keep the dumb bullshit maps and unbalanced character design in favor of full voice acting, REAL dungeons and a brand new character to cater to cuck fetishes.

Persona 5 - Stylish game.  The last 3 hours were dumb as fuck but not as dumb as Persona 4 or SMTIV Apocalypse.  I really really hate Morganna with a passion though.

Xcom 2 War of the Chosen - a real expansion that doesn't have the bullshit of Long War mods but still doesn't have the raw potential that it could.  Bonus points for more Trump and Tommy Wiseau voice mods

Doki Doki Literature Club - The new trashy meme game after Katawa Shoujo and Undertale.  A genre disguised as something else for shock value.  If you want a real visual novel, play Nekopara.

Tales of Cold Steel 2 - I appreciate the move from a school setting to actual real war but can I play through the eyes of the cooler adult characters like Olivier, Laura's dad and the hot maid chick instead of high school students?

Metroid 2 Samus Returns - now this is how Nintendo should have remake an old busted game.   The free aiming option was great, enemy telegraphed attacks help you dodge and weave though monsters if you don't feel the need to fight, that random giant robot boss was one of the series best and one final showdown with youknowho at the end was a great way to finsih the game.

Fire Emblem Warriors - I think this is my favorite Warriors title simply because for once your AI teammates actually get shit done.  It's nice that I can send Ryoma down to kill someone and he actually does it.  It's still a good game to plug in and turn off your brain while you hit some buttons.

Super Mario Odyssey -  I don't know. I wasn't feeling this Mario title.  Too many terrible world and not enough good ones.  I think it's borderline Donkey Kong 64 in terms of collectables and I think they could have cut about 200 moons from the game without hurting the overall game.

Xenoblade 2 - I opened a crystal and got a giant furry bunny with huge boobs and it still somehow wasn't the most ridiculous looking character in the game.  I think the game is bugged in sleep mode or something because there's no way I spent 140 hours on this game.

Bonus random mobile game shit:

Fire Emblem Heroes - crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates crates

Fate Grand Order - When I told someone I was free to play with seven 5* servants I get called a liar when I found out they're a 1% summon with no pity rate.  I can go 200 orbs in FEH with nothing but 6 quartz summon Francis Drake and Jeanne d' Arc back to back.

Shadowverse - It's anime Hearthstone but it someway somehow it's more broken and unbalanced than Hearthstone itself.  That is an impressive feat. 

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 10:36:39 PM »
I played a lot of good stuff in 2017.  Much better than 2016, which had 2 standout games and then a big falloff.

The list, the short version for people not up for extended ranting about Trails:
14. The Bottom of the Well
13. Chase: Cold Case Investigations - Distant Memories
12. Fire Emblem Heroes
11. Her Story
10. AM2R
9. A Rose in the Twilight
8. Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor: Overclocked
7. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
6. Shovel Knight
5. Fire Emblem Echoes
4. Trails of Cold Steel II
3. Undertale
2. Persona 5
1. Trails of Cold Steel

Full writeups:

Okay (6/10)

14. The Bottom of the Well (PC)
Short, free visual novel off Steam that it reminds me I played at the beginning of this year.  It's a vaguely Alice & Wonderland themed nuclear apocalypse where you get to experiment with various different survival strategies.  There's a bit of a 999-esque metaplot to explain why you're playing the game multiple times, but the actual final "puzzle" is both lame and doesn't really have a payoff (not even a BAD one, just the equivalent of "Congratulations, you did the thing!").  That said, it's not bad or anything.

13. Chase: Cold Case Investigations - Distant Memories (3DS)
Another short visual novel, though this one is 3DS eShop.  It's a police procedural from the team that did Hotel Dusk, Last Window, & Trace Memory.  It is good!  Gameplay is strictly "did you pick the right conversation dialogue option", which half the time is just reciting back what you just learned, but there are a few good prompts, and they wrote unique dialogue for every wrong answer, which I appreciate.  It's got a good plot and good characters and good dialogue.
So why this low?  It's just too short and unfinished (but it is cheap as a result).  They clearly ran out of money and shoved what they'd finished out the door before the 3DS dried up.  Alas.

12. Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile)
It's a shockingly excellent take on Fire Emblem on mobile.  And there's a good mix of carefully designed challenge maps made by designers, and endless challenge from PvP in Arena maps against other player teams.  Great UI and great art too - well, the chibi art at least, the full-art is annoyingly modern "waifu" style.  Oh well.

So why so low?  This is, hands down, the most expensive game I have ever played, with some of the worst marginal return on investment ever.  It's playable with just freely available units, sure, but if you want a specific character you like or who has a useful skill you want, hoo boy.  I would consider a reasonable "Getting started" pack for this game to run around 120 dollars, and if you have any limited-time units that catch your fancy that you don't get lucky on, prepare to open your wallet to the tune of 40-160 bucks.  Each time.  And not even any guarantee you'll get it!  The only game even in consideration for competition is Magic: The Gathering Online, and it isn't, because that gave me many more hours of (voluntary, high-quality) play for the investment, and hell, I could even still cash out if I really wanted to.  And...  I'm not even an actual "whale"!    But it's not just expensive in money; it's expensive in TIME.  On one hand, it's great that there's an incentive to constantly release new content, but on the other hand, all of the BS activity bonuses mean that there's a strong incentive to just play even if it isn't fun.  And some of the content is just plain grindy as all hell, but offers some substantial rewards, making skipping it awkward.  (Still the correct thing to do skip it though, of course.)  On release, the game was also just way too stingy with XP and SP for improving characters for various reasons, although the game has gotten considerably better about this since, at least.

Good (7/10)

11. Her Story (PC)
It's short and interesting.  Yes, it's a tad pretentious, but you really DO feel like a detective in this game, puzzling together a story out-of-order and on your own terms.  That's not a common feeling in games, so I respect the game for doing something off-beat. 

As for the story…  well, they clearly intentionally wanted a story that has multiple potential interpretations for players to argue about, but it doesn't quite work as some of the bait thrown in for explanation X contradicts explanation Y.  And I don't mean "unreliable narrator" type info, that's par for the course, I mean "easily checkable by the police factual claims that should take an hour to conclusively prove or disprove."  But…  said claims can't ALL be true, so bah.  Yeah this is real vague, but spoilers.  Play the game and see yourself.

10. AM2R (PC)
It's Metroid 2 except if it controlled like Super Metroid and had modern quality-of-life features.  This is a good formula.  There's just about the right amount of optional exploration, too - not TOO much, but some.  The game also wisely keeps the amount of chattiness to a minimum, after the opening, a trap recent Metroids have tripped up on - but this is a remake of an old Metroid, so hey. 

The main thing of note about this game is that the difficulty curve is wacky.  I'm not sure this is even a complaint, really.  But the game starts off really easy, gets really hard to the point of being a tad frustrating, then gets really easy again.  Some of this is intentional in that they want to let Samus feel awesome when she gets her final upgrades, so they don't throw hordes of Screw-Attack immune enemies at you or anything; some of this is honoring the original Metroid 2 design (where the play control was much clunkier and slower, so Samus was a bit less agile & powerful inherently); but...  it's a little TOO much.  The final sections and final boss are basically target practice.  Oh well.

9. A Rose in the Twilight (PS Vita)
Creepy, atmospheric puzzle game.  I liked it.  It's got horror in it but it isn't a horror game, if that makes any sense - this isn't Resident Evil.  Certainly establishing your protagonist as flat immortal from the start helps defang the impact of the various horrible ways to die there are in the castle.  There are parts that are a bit twitchy - whoops Rose fell 3 pixels too far and died - but you lose very little progress until the very end of the game.  There's only 2 bosses, but they're very memorable and tough puzzle fights in a good way.

Anyway, it's good, but the puzzles in the final section are too hard, and the plot doesn't even attempt to go into too much detail about WTF is "really" going on.

Great (8/10)

8. Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor: Overclocked (3DS)
Well, the strategy RPG is basically the greatest of all genres, and this is a strategy RPG.  I liked Devil Survivor 2's remake, and Devil Survivor 1 is almost the same damn system.  Harshly restricting skill loadouts makes SMT's love of elemental weakness slightly more interesting; it's difficult to create squads that crush everything, which encourages specialization.
The plot is totally insane and crammed with tons of just random stuff.  Oh by the way we have an oracular email service and this is a footnote, it's a stocking stuffer for our demon summoning app which harnesses angry people on the Internet to summon demons and also give you super-strength.  But it's mostly insane in a good way.  And for all the craziness, it's oddly sensible at times…  Devil Survivor 1 is weirdly better than DS2 at acknowledging that random civilians exist and are probably panicing, while DS2 has literally EVERYONE DYING and yet far less screentime or player-character acknowledgement of this.  All that said, I think I prefer DS2 more still, but DS1 is solid.

7. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS)
A charming and zany Metroidvania.  Like...  really zany.  This is a game that has PLOT you are going to watch and it is going to be insane.  Luckily the core idea of "no cheaty magic powerz, but gotta save the day anyway" is actually a good one to make a game around.

The combat is too easy if you use items (much like C:SOTN), but is engaging enough and fun, so sure.  It's really about platforming & exploration anyway.  If I had to complain, there's an obligatory "captured and must do a stealth section with a limited skillset!" section (seen before in Metroid Zero Mission and other areas), but it's kinda BS unfair and doesn't explain its own rules very well.  Oh well.  One annoying level isn't so bad.

6. Shovel Knight (PS Vita)
Others have written more about this than me.  This is NES nostalgia with all the good parts kept and all the bad parts removed.  Infinite continues that don't cost you progress means that there's a cap on how frustrating any section can get (damn you, Propeller Knight!).  Just very charming.

I played both the original & the spinoffs of Plague Knight & Spectre Knight's campaign.  Those were both fun as well.  If I had to complain, I think the team overcorrected a little in Spectre Knight's campaign…  they realized that Plague Knight was a little too intimidating to people who are bad, so they made Spectre Knight a little too easy.  Yeah yeah there's the tower of doom and the various challenges, which if anything are too hard, but I kinda wish there was some more content in the "middle" that was harder than the base game but not as restricted as the challenges.

5. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)

Well, I liked this one a lot.  It's a solid update of an old NES game as far as keeping some wacky old-skool mechanics but chucking various anti-fun features and adding in modern Quality of Life features.  If nothing else, it is a different and unique spin on Fire Emblem, so even to the extent I wouldn't want some of its design decisions in other FEs, I appreciate them getting a chance to shine again here.  (Like, a LITTLE dungeon crawling is fine.  I am fine with that not coming back though considering that it becomes annoying if the dungeon is any large at all, that is, the final dungeon & postgame dungeon.)  I especially liked the various maps that were a little "gamier" and less "realistic" - massive mono-typed enemies, ridiculous fortress designs that are interesting, etc.
I also like that all the love triangle intrigues have canonical end pairs that are set in Echoes - allows them to actually write around it in the plot, rather than have no idea who's dating who (an issue in recent Fire Emblems).

The villainy, well, others have talked about it already.  There's some good work, but also some bad work.  Berkut and Fernand are largely well-done; both are a bit over-the-top at times, but they're solid foils.  Emperor Rudolf & Jedah have issues though.  (Spoilers!)  Basically, they needed to swap slants: Jedah needed to be the Sympathetic Villain With an Extreme Plan But For Good Reasons, while Rudolf needed to be an insane tyrant.  Hell, if they REALLY wanted a sympathetic Rudolf, this is a rare case where having him be mind-controlled or possessed would have been preferable.  And Jedah, well, the germ of a good plan is sometimes there, but he lapses into "har har I am a baby-eater" too much if we are expected to take Celica going along with his plan *willingly* seriously, especially since he uses "har har I will kill Alm mwahaha" as the reason to convince her.  That said, despite all this, Echoes is solidly top tier within recent Fire Emblems as far as its villainy, which I suppose says something about the crappy quality of FE11/12/14 villains.  (At least Fates's straight-up villains like Garon, Iago, & Hans - excluding "the other cast" for BR/CQ.)

Also, unlike many other FEs, you get to deploy your whole team most of Echoes, and the game has revival fountains to ensure you didn't ENTIRELY shoot yourself in the foot with perma-deaths.  I like that as far as balancing around a smaller team - a character might be "bad" but still better than nothing, and thus gets to see use.  It does compromise the replay value a little, no "let me try a different team" option, but eh, this is the only game (barring Undertale, which doesn't really count) that I did a replay of this year, so clearly it doesn't hurt replay value that badly.

4. Trails of Cold Steel II (PS Vita)
Well, it's more Trails.  If you take an insulin shot to get past the anime shmaltz, this is good stuff for the most part.  There's still, as usual, a ton of stuff to love: great UI, great fast-travel features, great in-game documentation, well-written and extensive dialogue, secondary characters who actually have names, and a for-the-most-part sympathetic and cool cast.  Picking up immediately where ToCS1 left off without any sort of mysterious gameplay abilities reset is also cool.  And while the battle system is busted (more on this below), it's for the most part a fun kind of busted: your characters feel appropriately powerful, and battles are generally fun.  The prologue, Act I, and some of Act 3 are generally interesting plotwise, too.  And this game is huge, with just tons and tons of charming content to explore.

The downsides in CS2 compared to CS1 are pretty notable, though.  Game drops the ball on its own plot.  It's weird, because if you asked 2016 SnowFire, epic civil war sounds way more interesting than high school anime drama.  I can think of several ways to take CS2's plot, and the game picks an arc that is simultaneously lame AND nonsensical.  Act 2, where the civil war is basically fought and takes center stage (rather than the Mass Effect 2 "rebuild your team" plot of Act 1), is annoyingly nonsensical entirely too often.
  • CS2 does not want to take its own plot seriously, ever.  This is a game about a civil war, but it blatantly doesn't actually want to be about a civil war; nobody dies and nothing bad happens and the bad things that do happen and people whine about are almost offensively minor (yay side 1 repealed the war taxes side 2 raised!  Wait what, doesn't side 1 need supplies & shit too?  This seems doubtful).  Now, a little of this is fine in that Our Heroes are generally high schoolers, and I guess the game doesn't want to traumatize them by having them directly participate in the war?  But it's not even seriously happening in the background either.  There are more deaths in the first 10 minutes of ToCS 1 than in the ENTIRE GAME of Trails of Cold Steel 2.  Chew on that.  The problem isn't just at a macro level; it's at a micro level, too, with characters inexplicably claiming that nothing bad will happen and people's lives aren't really in danger even if they're being held by a desperate losing side in a civil war, which is completely insane.  As a note, a plot element in Act 3 could, maybe, kind of justify the idea that this is a "fake" civil war; problem is, if so, Our Heroes / civilians / canny generals portrayed as smart should really have dialogue indicating that something fishy is going on, almost as if one side isn't even trying to win.  But there isn't.
  • Related to the above, since you're not supposed to be fighting the civil war directly, instead you get to fight eccentric superboss squad who, with maybe one exception, aren't even interested in defeating you and either have Allegedly Sympathetic Goals or are outright traitors to their own side, but are fighting you anyway because ??? (training?).  There's something to be said for having villains who aren't all HURT KILL DESTROY, but CS2 goes too far on this, and this idea isn't THAT interesting per Sopko anyway.  It also totally forgets about anything bad that happened in CS1, so certain characters get sympathetic get-out-of-jail free passes because they're secretly on your side or something.  I dunno.
  • And ranted about this in WGAYP, but god damn does CS2 abuse the "win battle fight, look exhausted afterward, have NPC make dramatic appearance to save the day" schtick.  Every!  Single!  Time!  And your characters are Pretty Badass by this point in the plot, and it's often not even named enemy baddies that get this treatment, but totally random nameless mercenaries!
  • I played CS2 on Nightmare, and it was easier than Hard mode of ToCS1 or Trails in the Sky SC.  Falcom fix your shit.  That said, this is a fixable problem; just don't abuse the most broken of the mechanics, and the battles go back to being pretty awesome, and the optional superbosses if you fight them as soon as possible are pretty tricky.  (I'll add that it's one thing in games that let you totally break them, but it requires lategame equips / figuring out some degenerate setup.  The biggest offender in CS2, Delay, is directly built into the main character's skillset and utterly breaks the game.  How they could have not noticed that the ability they hand to you = instant win, I'm not sure.)
  • Divine Knight battles and plot aren't really my thing, but I guess they are for others who are mech fans.  They're harmless I guess, except when they bail the party out of interesting jam by going "eh I have a magic robot I win."  (And everyone is too polite to attack Rean while summoning said robot.)
  • As usual, Elise & Angelica are terrible characters.  Let me add another personal rant.  Elise is a miserable character so I'm happy for any excuse to sideline her, and so the game does; she promptly gets kidnapped (for dopey reasons).  Fine.  But...  everybody seemingly forgets about this?  Having a loved one kidnapped is an almost cliche hero motivation plot point used to rouse ambivalent or less violent characters into action.  But nobody cares; Rean & his parents hardly have any lines about this.  It's *weird*!  It'd be okay if they actually owned this directly as a plot point: that Rean & his parents don't actually care that much about Elise.  But the writers don't do that.  You'd think from the soundtrack art that this is a game about a clash between a passionate, Fire-Dark aligned character (Rean) and his cooly rational Water-aligned foil (Spoilerz), so Rean would have plenty of opportunities to get MAD about the various indiginities the Other Side subjects him to (like, an arrest warrant for him, attack his hometown, and kidnapping his sister for starters).  But Rean doesn't seem to ever get particularly upset, and isn't even explaining how he really cares about XYZ, but knows that the best thing is to be merciful.  About the only thing that does get Rean upset is things like rare enemy deaths, which could work if they wanted to portray pacifist angel Rean, but they kinda don't do that either.
  • The timeframe for the game is weirdly fast as well.  This is more of a nitpick, and goes with "is it intentional that this civil war is 'fake'" question, but after establishing just how vast Erebonia is quite well in CS1, CS2 is determined to have characters flying around and doing multiple sidequests across a continent in a single morning.

That said, I don't want to come across as too harsh.  This is a huge, huge game that is eminently playable and gripping, so the highlights outweigh the lowlights, but sheesh.  The plot is just so strangely off in Act 2 & most of 3.  To the game's credit, I do like one character heaping crap on the Chief Villainess for having her stupid plans entirely go down in flames due to her own idiocy.  He's like the only guy tuned in to how bad the enemy's plan is, and ends up maybe more sympathetic than expected as a result!

3. Undertale (PS Vita)
Well, metric reams of ink have been spilled on this one elsewhere on the Internet, and I guess I'm still not technically finished with everything.  Suffice to say that while some of the humor is a miss for me, the dramatic side was shockingly good.

Excellent (9/10)

2. Persona 5 (PS4)
Another game that others have talked about way more than me.  I'm not even a modern Persona fan by default - P3 has enough creepy aspects to seriously put me off from attempting to play it, and while P4 seems better, it still didn't quite seem my cup of tea.  P5, however, was pretty great.  This is definitely a game where its unique design sensibilities and sense of style really show - they thought about the style they wanted and hit it really hard.  You are the red white & black rebels against the system, and they own it in every element of the plot and design.  The plot is built around the same, and works out quite well for the most part.  I didn't even think the end was as bad as others did; maybe not as high as some of the other parts of the game, but it's perfectly workable.  Also, the game was not nearly as "creepy" as some other Japanese properties can be; I found it was considerably less fanservicey than I feared.  It helps that while the main character is still a bit of a Gary Stu, he's one that has to earn his way up; he starts at the bottom of the totem pole, brutally, with everyone and society hating him other than outcast Ryuji.  And he gets knocked back to Square One in various ways, so it feels like he merits some pats on the back after he fights through anyway.

Anyway.  Complaints, which are more like nitpicks: The difficulty curve is too hard early, too easy late, as usual for SMT.  I generally played on Hard, and Adjustable difficulty helps a lot - just change the difficulty if you want.  While that deals with Palace 1 being insanely brutal (crank it back to Normal, although this is where I brag I beat Kamoshida on Hard anyway), there isn't really a way to fix the overly easy second half of the game.  Oh well.  Money is too short unless you confuse-grind Mementos bosses, which is boring and lame.  Palace 5 is lame both design-wise and plot-wise, where it's a little too transparent the party is getting played in a fashion that should be clear to them, and the internal PARTY DRAMA feels a little forced / nonsensical.  Doing the game "properly" (well, properly for SnowFire) requires researching a bit on obscure Optimal Time Spending mechanics so that you can see most of the content without need for multiple playthroughs.  (having a Persona of that tarot card massively speeds your affection gain, maxing Temperance early gives you extra actions, etc.)  None of these are a big deal, though.  A massively enjoyable time, and a rare case of gaming that has a point that isn't uncontroversial pablum like "destroying the world is bad."

1. Trails of Cold Steel (PS Vita)
I waited awhile to play this one, despite some trusted recommendations.  Only so much anime you can safely ingest at a time, after all.  I was a bit skeptical: high school is a massively overdone setting, some of the anime characters seem to veer into the "bad" anime tropes rather than the good ones, Rean seemed a little bland.  What a pleasant surprise that these concerns, while real, were far less bad than I feared, and that the good parts were so strong.  This is modern JRPG done right, with a battle system that's my style, characters which are simultaneously unique and customizable, great Falcom music, and tons of quality-of-life features that make doing side quests and getting around a joy while somehow still selling the size of the country at the same time.  The high school parts are reasonably well-done when they exist, but they end up only ~30-40% of the content anyway; most of your time is spent ignoring the high school thing and going on interesting adventures anyway.  The main class VII cast, while they start off slightly "anime trope"y (especially the females), all get developed so that they stand on their own with their own quirks and personalities.  The gameplay is pretty fun, and puts up a reasonably good fight on Hard, albeit more in the first third of the game and maybe the final quarter, with the midgame being pretty easy.

Anyway, a few plot points don't make tons of sense if you think about them, but it's not too big a deal.  The final dungeon, despite having great music, is weirdly underwhelming, with it both being over-large as well as having a nonexistent-to-terrible excuse to hike through it, unlike the reasonably well-established dungeons elsewhere.  Some of the later deck of characters that come in halfway through the game start anime tropes and stay that way and are meh: Elise, Angelica, Sharon, and Millium notably, although the last two eventually get mildly better.  Still, these are pretty minor complaints ultimately.  This was definitely the pleasant surprise of 2017 for me, and CS1's strength helps carry into CS2 to make me care about what happened to the characters even in CS2's weaker troughs.

Not ranked:

Final Fantasy XV: Not far enough in.  It was okay, and I eventually got around to liking the characters, and Shimomura's music is pretty good, but the gameplay…  ugh.
X-COM2: Not far enough in, either.  I like the plot hook and how adding time limits instantly spices up a fight, though.
Laggy Fantasy Tactics (LFT): Pretty fun.  My spirit got crushed at Doguola Pass (the first battle of Chapter 4), of all things, which killed me like 8 times in a row, way more than Golgorand / Izlude / Velius / Roof / etc..  I still need to summon up the nerve to go back there.  Dragoons jumping on my head for massive damage, noooo.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:39:26 PM by SnowFire »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 12:37:36 AM »
Somehow I forgot to post the mobile game Gumballs and Dungeons, which I've been playing about a year.  I spend more time on it than other mobile games I play.  Here's a nice overview of it:

http://ponderingsongames.com/2018/02/27/progression-done-right-gumballs-dungeons/