Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183553 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2500 on: November 09, 2014, 10:20:53 PM »
But aren't you playing on easy? Do you really need that VIT? Doesn't OCD demand you to start collecting 99 of every item right now?

El Cid, um, Wasteland 2 doesn't look good at all? What do you think of the game right now?

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: November 10, 2014, 12:27:06 AM »
I'm enjoying it well enough but it really isn't Yattaf-friendly (that's what you were asking, right?)

Combat is basically old-school Fallout except you can command your whole team. Actually maybe X-Com would be a better comparison, in that case. Honestly not that far from Shadowrun Returns either (if you stripped the magic out). So deliberately simplistic down and dirty shootin' and stabbin'. It's reasonably well-balanced on normal, enemies will fuck you up if you make stupid tactical decisions, so don't do that. I run from every world map encounter, though, and reload when I fail to run. The fixed battles are fine, but I really don't want to fight every random schmoe in Arizona. Dungeons are always unexpectedly huge, so there's a genuine sense of tension early on when you don't entirely know what the game wants from you and it seems like you could realistically run yourself out of resources and permafail. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but it does gel with the setting and there is unspoken emphasis that you need to build a diverse and balanced team. (By this point though I can afford to just leave the Uzi on burst fire and turn everything before me into a red paste.)

The writing is adequate. There's some nice flavor text but really little outstanding material (though I have to say it's a distinct step up from what I was previously playing). Oh, I wanted to mention, during chargen there's a religion and brand of cigarettes dropdown for each character? And these have reflected None for every follower I've recruited, which I can't help but think is strange. It might be suggestive of the caliber of NPCs you're working with, they'll make casual comments as you walk around new places but there's no personal Q&A after recruitment and they don't have personal quests or any of that stuff. Aside from Angela, who you get handed to you overleveled in the intro and who has genuine plot importance, none of them so far have had any plot significance at all (setting significance is there, though). And your core team's lines come entirely from interrogating NPCs with questions that basically all boil down to "'Metal Gear?'" so they're not contributing a ton either. There are persuasion options in conversation but they crop up rather less often than I'd expected.

Personality was clearly always meant to come from the world, so your mileage may vary with interest in the subgenre. The game has a very odd sense of humor. Oh, I wished earlier to submit this piece of wisdom: "Don't hurt hobos and hobos won't hurt you." That's sound advice Super.

The score is restrained to the point of nonexistence. I'm not convinced there are more than two background tracks in the game. Maybe there will be more now that I've transitioned to the second half?

So mostly it's a series of "Yeah, that's good enough" boxes checked off in something that plays well to my thematic biases. If nothing else, I continue to be amazed at the number and variety of ways in which my attempts to bring law and civilization back to the post-nuclear desert continue to trainwreck.

~

Grefter: 4-1 is a fair deal shorter than the other first round areas (the other X-1s are all quite lengthy with shortcuts, 4-1 just makes you worry about even attempting the place because skellingtons). 4-2, however, more than makes up for this deficiency without even the decency to include a shortcut. I might genuinely have quit the game if I'd died in there.

EDIT: you know, I actually don't know this, why do people kill themselves deliberately in Demon's Souls anyway? (Apart from black world tendency shit, that is.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:37:50 AM by El Cideon »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: November 10, 2014, 12:39:20 AM »
4 is one of the many reasons I never replayed Demon's compared to the Darks.  I think I killed all of Phalanx and Tower Knight just to test the Northern Regalia before stopping with a hearty "Fuck that noise."

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: November 10, 2014, 01:06:27 AM »
You kill yourself in the nexus in order to avoid losing white tendency in the levels.  (Dying in human form lowers tendency by 1, and you need max tendency to do white world events)

Also, if you have white character tendency, you deal more damage in soul form, but I think the extra hp generally trumps that unless you are using hyper mode.

The biggest frustration is that logging in online resets tendency, so you either have to play offline or never turn the game off to preserve white world.

None of this is relevant to a blind playthrough, mind.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:42:39 AM by jsh357 »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: November 10, 2014, 03:33:37 AM »
Oh I'm not trying to solo everything. Look at Dragonfall! I'm not soloing it yet!

This does sound pretty interesting at times, buuuuut not enough to compensatey for my complete lack of interest in the setting and my strong dislike of the aesthetics of this game. (In fact I can't even think of a worse looking game post N64 game right now, aside from games with horrible character design)

Like I should rather just replay Fallout 1/2 if I want to scratch that hitch since I've forgotten about them.

Dragonfall: Doing extremel shady work trying to raise 50 000 bucks for Alice.
I'm playing as Miss Very Nice Biowarish Main Character (called Sam) just out of respect for the plot and world of the game, but I really want to pick all these douchebag options. It's becoming incredibly harder to resist. The game even acknowledges that I'm doing some really wrong work, out of fear or desire for revenge only.

It's immensely frustrating to be a 3 charisma, 1 intelligence melee character and see all these AMAZING dialogue options I can't pick. It's like:
- Hey Delita, let's go kill some rebels
- (INTELLIGENCE REQUIRED: 6) *greyed out* Hey Delita, maybe you should hide your sister while this commner revolt goes on? I don't think she's safe here, she risks being associated with the Beoulves but doesn't benefit from the same protection.

Melee is eeeeeeeeeh in this game, it does unimpressive damage with meh accuracy, at 1 range obviously (move and attack is viable for 1 AP though), it pretty much forces you to eat a lot of bullets with no cover.
AP damage is nice.
Sam is still the MVP. I think, as she becomes a monster with Aim and Haste on, unlike every other character.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: November 10, 2014, 04:35:41 AM »
I don't know a tooon about melee in it (since I am not huge on the source material), but my understanding is that the big appeal for melee is the AP damage yeah.  It is an interesting counterpoint to your usual system where mages are about control and your melee fighters run in and do clean up.  Running melee, mages and ranged in Shadowrun Returns is Mages buff you up/support, Melee ties things up and ranged guys clean up with the damage.

That said when I played the main campaign it was far more just about buffing and everyone else blasting shit with guns.  I defaulted to melee guys using guns just as much as melee since I only used street samurai NPCs, so points dumped all over the shop.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: November 10, 2014, 05:56:07 AM »
Hyrule Warriors - So I have finally obtained purty picture after a few hours of work. Objectively it wasn't really worth the time, but it was so shiny. Now I need to work on getting higher level weapons for Midna, Darunia, Zant, and Ghirahim.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: November 10, 2014, 06:38:42 AM »
I don't know a tooon about melee in it (since I am not huge on the source material), but my understanding is that the big appeal for melee is the AP damage yeah.

It's easier to gank dudes with melee if you are good at fightans than it is to shoot dudes if you are good at shootans.  But melee you can only attack one enemy per round as opposed to shooting twice, potentially at different targets, or spraying a room with bullets and making your GM hate you.  Ahem.  Also, if you fail at combat, your target may injure you instead.  High risk, high reward.  Unless you're a troll with a nodachi.  In which case you should melee all day long.  Or you're fighting a troll with a nodachi.  In which case you should reflect on the poor life choices that led you to this juncture.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: November 10, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »
Well I know in baseline Returns I spent a lot of time fighting multiple enemies, so locking down a single enemy wasn't a huge benefit really.

Demons's Souls's - Went to Flamelurker.  Died a stupid number of times to falling down the shortcut.  Died once to Lurker just with backing myself up to the stairs and getting caught on debris there.  Went and fought him again and abused random shit lying around the arena and then suddenly couldn't get camera locks easy (The Real Cameras's Souls's Starts's Here) tried to blitz down the last bit of health, miscalculated thinking 1 Soul Arrow was needed when 2 were.  Killed him as I got hit by explosion.  Got the kill and no souls.  I will take it.

Edit - I think this counted as being killed as Human once, because after killing Dragon God I can't get the Dragon Bone Smasher...

Oh well?  I am pretty sure I didn't goof and forget to kill myself in Body form back before I went and died to Dragon God once like a putz.

Edit 2 - Killed Tower Knight.  Since I had killed the Red Dragon with cheese I could go back and get into the execution pit.  Killed Executioner Miralda, got some loot I don't care much about, but good (?) light armour.  Debating whether I go to 1-3 to rescue Yuria or if I suck up my fear and do 3-1.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:01:55 AM by Grefter »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2509 on: November 10, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »
 Locking down single dudes is really something that doesn't come fully into use until late in the game when you start running afoul of the seriously dangerous guys that come strapped with miniguns and Fire breath.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: November 10, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »
Super Mario 3D World - Gotta get ready for Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, so gonna play this. World 1 was pretty standard easy Mario fare, we'll see if the game picks up in challenge later~
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: November 10, 2014, 08:47:30 PM »
WL2-  Newest patch added the ability to import your characters from the last game.  So now that I'm done with the game I'm going to do a perfect playthrough where I fix everything with a team of four level 40 rangers.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: November 10, 2014, 09:00:22 PM »
Grefter: Dragonbone Smasher is good but also incredibly fucking heavy. You don't care about it unless you're running a pure strength build (which you're obviously not). Miralda's armor is pretty good insofar as Demon's Souls armor goes. I ran with it (sans hood) pretty much the entire game because it looked snazzy and everything other than light armor is completely worthless.

And man, that's why people kill themselves in the Nexus? To avoid shifting world tendency to black when they die in other worlds? Dude, there is so much shit I would not have survived in my playthrough without that nice buffer of running at full HP. That's gimping yourself for insurance so much worse than perpetually running with Rings of Life/Soul Protection in DS2 (at least that only takes up one out of four ring slots instead of chopping your HP by 25% and taking up one out of two ring slots).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: November 10, 2014, 09:18:16 PM »
I would have been after it just to see stuff with Scirvir rather than to use it, so not really a big deal since I don't need the Pure stone he gives for Str builds for the same reason I don't need the Smasher.  I assume this is a significant part of tot for most people knowing that most people on the internet obsess over this shit like I do, but there will likely just be some percentage that are after loot from Perfect White NPCs or events.

I was mostly holding off on just suiciding in 2-x o get Talisman of Beasts so I stop messing around with Talisman and Catalyst juggling.

I am not finding running Soul Form all the time that big a deal now even with dedicating that ring slot to Thief's ring instead of Cling Ring.  The difference in HP between survivable to get away and use grass or be able to take a second hit is pretty huge.   I could probably test it out more now that I am levelled  up a bit more (the resist for Soul Level seems to be significantly more important here than in Dark Souls and it was already pretty decently effective there) but I am happy playing more stealthy.  I wouldn't be able stealth as well in Body form either, so wooooo.  Stealth being one of the most effective ways to cheese bosses is really shaping my play.

If I was playing a melee character though my choices would be different, but fuck this game, it doesn't deserve anything more than the cheesiest tactics I can.

And wait, Dark Souls 2 has 4 ring slots?  Man I would struggle to find a fourth ring better than "play Souls Game like a normal game".

Also of note, item dupe glitch is craaaaazy easy.  I did it to get Ephemeral Eyes, but damn.  I might use it for ores that are refusing to drop...  I could also use it on souls to get ALL THE SPELLS too.  Not sure I want to cheat that much though, but picking between Fireball and Firestorm is bugging me a little.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: November 10, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »
Grefter: Dragonbone Smasher is good but also incredibly fucking heavy. You don't care about it unless you're running a pure strength build (which you're obviously not). Miralda's armor is pretty good insofar as Demon's Souls armor goes. I ran with it (sans hood) pretty much the entire game because it looked snazzy and everything other than light armor is completely worthless.

And man, that's why people kill themselves in the Nexus? To avoid shifting world tendency to black when they die in other worlds? Dude, there is so much shit I would not have survived in my playthrough without that nice buffer of running at full HP. That's gimping yourself for insurance so much worse than perpetually running with Rings of Life/Soul Protection in DS2 (at least that only takes up one out of four ring slots instead of chopping your HP by 25% and taking up one out of two ring slots).

That's why I say it's irrelevant when playing blind.  I am pro at Demon's Souls and can beat the whole game in Soul form with hardly any deaths, but most players are not at that level.  The loss of a ring slot if you need Cling is pretty huge.

Re: Talisman of Beasts, I hope you are prepared to cheese Scirvir or for the fight of your life.  Hardest NPC phantom in the series, even worse than Old King Doran in my opinion.  If you want to kill him easily, I suggest baiting him out and pushing him off the ledge somehow.  You have to jump down to get the Talisman, but it saves headache if you can pull it off.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:42:38 PM by jsh357 »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: November 10, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »
Cheese is the only thing this game deserves.  That as how it was always going to be.  I am wondering if he will run off after Soul Remains like Miralda apparently will.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: November 10, 2014, 10:25:46 PM »
My laptop has been doing extremely weird noises for a few weeks.
Whenever the fans start it does a "Hmmm?" sound then whenever they stop he goes "Hmmm."
It is weird.

I don't know a tooon about melee in it (since I am not huge on the source material), but my understanding is that the big appeal for melee is the AP damage yeah.

It's easier to gank dudes with melee if you are good at fightans than it is to shoot dudes if you are good at shootans.  But melee you can only attack one enemy per round as opposed to shooting twice, potentially at different targets, or spraying a room with bullets and making your GM hate you.  Ahem.  Also, if you fail at combat, your target may injure you instead.  High risk, high reward.  Unless you're a troll with a nodachi.  In which case you should melee all day long.  Or you're fighting a troll with a nodachi.  In which case you should reflect on the poor life choices that led you to this juncture.

Moving and attacking only costs 1 AP so I can attack twice per round! Three times with Haste!
My main character is getting really good with a 5 damage katana, +6% hitrate cyberware, strength boosting cyberware, the Cleave skill (Multitarget damage), and Deitrich's buffs.... She eats a ton of damage but that's why I've replaced Eiger with the glorious healbot.
I really should have gone with Bear worshipping (Grants a heal skill) over Racoon worshiping (Grants a +mov buff) since cyberware can boost movement. Ah well.

This game is as unspectacular as it is impressive. Somehow. It is impossible for me to be excited by it, but it's definitely one of the best WRPG I can think of. It's weird.
In any case they failed the marketing on that one. The game sounded like some DLC released as standalone (like Farcry 3 Blood Dragon) but from what I can tell the original Shadowrun Returns is like a demo and this is pretty much the real stuff.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:27:20 PM by Fenrir »

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: November 10, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »
I believe Soul Remains work, but since Scirvir uses ranged attacks you may have to do some work to get him off the edge.  The Mirdan Hammer's 2 handed R1 and the Dragon Bone Smasher are pretty good for knockback if you can wield those.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: November 11, 2014, 02:44:53 AM »
See, I didn't even know soul form = stealthier. That (or the Sneaky McSneakerson ring) would've been a nice bonus for the one boss who's blind (kind of a neat gimmick From's never duplicated) and was kind of terrifying to fight as a slow bruiser.

Grefter, I personally would withhold all judgement if you decided to item dupe upgrade materials. Ore is stupidly rare in Demon's Souls, I didn't come close to maxing out even a single weapon.

Fenrir! If you're hauling Dietrich and Glory around with you, lemme know what deep dark secrets Apex has to share about them (the only plot character I had along for that mission was Eiger; for this purpose, the game apparently does not recognize the plot decker as a plot character).

Dragonfall is definitely a level of magnitude or two cooler than Dead Man's Switch (which wasn't bad or anything, just not hugely impressive in comparison).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:48:06 AM by El Cideon »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: November 11, 2014, 03:39:28 AM »
All right I'll try to remember.
You had another PC for that quest?
Was she Lucky Strike?

I already had Glory confess to me how she worshipped Satan. I asked the magic shop guy some trivia about worshipping Satan, he asked me why i asked but I didn't want to spill the beans. Hmm. Wonder where that would have gotten me.

The NPC interactions go well beyond the Bioware standard. I think I'd say this game has the best NPC interactions in a game not named Planescape Torment? There are real consequences to your choices and all, too, and the nice choice is not always the best choice. Super great.

The missions are extremely memorable too. Though maybe I'm just talking about the Director's Cut new missions here, which probably got extra polish since they're, like, DLC of DLC. I can't find a list of what the new missions are so I can't comment on that much more.

BTW, isn't Dragonfall way longer than DMS too?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: November 11, 2014, 03:45:28 AM »
It was like Neverwinter Nights.  The initial down payment was mostly for tools for user generated content with the original release.

Then after that there is a patch/expansion to update toolset and actually release a really good campaign.

Dead Man Switch shits all over NWN1 original campaign though.  It actually is fun.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: November 11, 2014, 04:21:40 AM »
Some of the weapon upgrades are pretty simple to get (Spider, Dragon, Faint) but there are some that are basically pure chance like Bladestone.  Fortunately, the easier to get stones are generally more useful anyway.  Fire weapons are insanely good, Blessed weapons give HP regen, Sticky bows are nuts, etc.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: November 11, 2014, 04:23:53 AM »
How long is Dragonfall? Because you make it sound like a full-length game all on its own.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: November 11, 2014, 04:32:22 AM »
I'm gonna estimate 15-20ish hours? Don't exactly recall. Steam says I've got 37 hours logged on SR total, so twentysomething probably about right. Dragonfall is a fair bit longer than the original campaign.

I don't remember who the fourth wheel was in that fight, Fenrir, and my saves are on the old computer so I can't check. I usually made sure to have a mage in the party because Haste is the shit, but memory says there was a rather tremendous amount of shooting on that mission. If Lucky Strike's the rifle chick with the cool hair, yeah, I think I used her a lot. It was definitely some hire, at least. They're not important enough for Apex to acknowledge!

If working for Satan is the only bad thing Glory's told you about, she's not done yet.

The nice choice is not always the best choice! In fact, if you're talking to Eiger, it's almost always the worst choice.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:36:25 AM by El Cideon »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: November 11, 2014, 07:45:46 AM »
How long is Dragonfall? Because you make it sound like a full-length game all on its own.

It's pretty much is, especially now that they've re-released the Director's Cut version which is an actual stand-alone.