Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183520 times)

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2075 on: September 07, 2014, 05:31:39 PM »
Power Within is pretty great; it buffs almost everything's damage.  It's a bit better if you're already pro at the game, though, since it has an HP leak effect.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: September 07, 2014, 11:58:30 PM »
All the good loot is honestly closer to the swamp anyway. 

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: September 09, 2014, 06:19:27 AM »
Donkey Kong Country Returns - Finished. Pretty fun, good but not great, mostly relies on that nasty platforming difficulty it has and handles pretty well. Doing the ninth world now.

Also beat Marathon 2. Not much to say here.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: September 09, 2014, 07:35:42 AM »
Tales of Xillia 2: I desperately want to be done with this piece of shit so I can tear into its awfulness but so much of the post-game content is blatantly unfair bullshit it's a completely painful to play through.  I should not be getting one-shot from game-max-HP on FUCKING NORMAL!

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: September 09, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »
You are using Leia + Multi Item + Immediate Consumption + Chain Consumption + both HP Surge skills + both TP Surge skiils right? I haven't been using Elize much this time but I'm sure she has some broke stuff like from before as well (and this time the game actually needs it) I just got done with the arena party mode Elite on Unknown (which unlocks after beating the game) starting from L75/76~ AVG (characters are L77 afterwards now) and it took all my Lemon Gels, most of my Life Bottles, all of my Syrup Bottles, most of my Panacea Bottles, and a good chunk of my Pineapple and Miracle Gels but did ultimately beat it thanks to Leia and Leia/Rowen Stop Flow (and this serious item efficiency blowout was without using any of Leia's healing spells or Resurrection) Well one of my characters is Agria and Ludger is Ivar now heh.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:23:35 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: September 09, 2014, 12:48:18 PM »
Kirby Squeak Squad: Up to world 3.  Not much to say other than "It's a Kirby Game."

Well, ok, an amusing thing is I always say Kirby vs. DeDeDe rivalry isn't Hero vs. Villain, but rather, 2 Kids fighting over the last piece of cake.  This game's plot?

Opens up with Kirby eating cake, then his cake gets stolen, so he goes to beat up DeDeDe to get it back.

...no, I'm not kidding.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: September 09, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
Folklore - This game is slow-paced, sorta grindy and very strange, yet it's enthralling thanks in no small part to its incredible art direction and sense of atmosphere. Rolling two different, concomitant perspective characters that also play -very- differently helps as well. Currently doing the Undersea Capital with Ellen and going back to power up Fraxinus in Faery Realm because I kinda can't say no to ranged, comboable slash-elemental damage.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: September 09, 2014, 07:14:05 PM »
You are using Leia + Multi Item + Immediate Consumption + Chain Consumption + both HP Surge skills + both TP Surge skiils right? I haven't been using Elize much this time but I'm sure she has some broke stuff like from before as well (and this time the game actually needs it) I just got done with the arena party mode Elite on Unknown (which unlocks after beating the game) starting from L75/76~ AVG (characters are L77 afterwards now) and it took all my Lemon Gels, most of my Life Bottles, all of my Syrup Bottles, most of my Panacea Bottles, and a good chunk of my Pineapple and Miracle Gels but did ultimately beat it thanks to Leia and Leia/Rowen Stop Flow (and this serious item efficiency blowout was without using any of Leia's healing spells or Resurrection) Well one of my characters is Agria and Ludger is Ivar now heh.

I bow before your godly ways.

I don't have as much of a problem with the Bonus Dungeon anymore, or the Arena Party stuff(because I don't have the Cameos unlocked yet) but the Tag is just UGH.  The Tag battles are just the WORST.  I was getting one-shot from 9999 HP.  Lemon Gels aren't gonna cut that out!

The transformations are honestly the high point of the game for me.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: September 09, 2014, 09:46:32 PM »
DKCR - Beat the ninth world. Honestly that was kinda disappointing, the levels fell outside the sweet spot of the DKC experience, the first eight levels were pretty bland/not especially challenging and then the last one was brutal... but also overly long with no checkpoints, meh. Still a fun experience overall of course. Now I have unlocked the ability to play through all the stages mirrored! ... with no Diddy, no items, and one heart. hahaha oh this game.

Probably done with it for now though.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: September 09, 2014, 09:55:26 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles - Finished! Ended up having to grind a bunch to beat the final three bosses, which ended up taking about three or four extra hours. Will do a bigger post after I am a little less annoyed with the game over said grinding. >_>
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: September 10, 2014, 01:46:41 PM »
Heh not me, not that godly if I couldn't beat the Ultimate Tag either :P Made it to the last round pretty much depleted item wise only to rapidly deplete the rest of my Life Bottles and things because the bosses wouldn't stop going after Rowen and Taunt wasn't doing what it was supposed to do. I'll need to check for setting skills that might sort that out. Did discover Eagle Rage > sidestep > etc was a valid escape move for Leia for getting out of being surrounded by a crowd during the whole thing though. Meh lowered the difficulty from Unknown and beat it eventually. Dunno if you know Fudo but there is a shop in the Deepwoods that actually sells stat boosting herbs post game. I haven't bothered with it at all in the buying sense yet but I am tempted especially given enemy stats, I might max at least Leia out for a future Unknown run or something~

Heh Agria x 4 including floating Agria, nice. The transformations are good stuff yeah. I am disappoint that there doesn't seem to be a Rollo one though. For some reason I thought there was~ At least these transformations are going to be good for a future run full of satire and hilarity.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:48:24 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: September 10, 2014, 01:51:41 PM »
Yeah I know.  I've mostly been buying the herbs to make the Cameo Weapons and the occasional useless piece of armor.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: September 10, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles – Finished in 62 hours. It’s an interesting game; a hybrid between a Xeno game, an MMO, and a shounen anime. I only kind of like Xeno games and I really don’t like the other two things, so it was an experiment that was destined to fail (in my defense, I didn’t know it was so shounen anime until I actually played it).

Gameplaywise, the biggest problem that I ran into was being underlevelled. Because of the system of increasing the enemy’s stats when you become too underlevelled, the bosses become borderline impossible (for a first time player, at least) if you are more than five levels under their level. I’m not sure exactly how it works, but the enemies seem to get a 50-75% evasion (and accuracy?) boost from being six levels above you instead of five. The most striking example of this was when I fought a boss, hit around 5-10% of the time, and on a subsequent try put in a party member one level higher and magically could hit most of the time. This is such an absurdly bad design decision, particularly in a game that does a poor job of curving experience (especially lategame) to start with. I am fine with bosses being challenging because you are underlevelled, but making the enemy’s stats rise because you are “too” underlevelled is really terrible. I ended up being a few levels too low for all three of the last bosses, so I ended up grinding a bunch.

The randoms in the game are kind of dully enjoyable in a way that doing mindless activities can be, and some of them can even be interesting due to deciding where to control aggro and when to execute moves. I thought one of the best parts of the game gameplaywise was the superdungeon chain of Mechonis Field / Central Factory / Agriratha that had a lot of randoms in interesting formations. The bosses in the game are largely terrible, they mostly fall under “hit arbitrary level threshold” which I often didn’t meet or are plot fights. The game really could do with less plot fights. I enjoyed Egil and Yaldabaoth well enough as boss fights because you have to balance the multiple enemies with trying to kill the boss, which adds a bit of spice to the otherwise dull single-enemy boss fights. My biggest problem with single enemy fights in the game is that your victory seems to mostly depend on at what moment your tank didn’t mark the enemies properly and when the boss starts hammering on your squishy DPS character.

I mostly used a party of Reyn/Sharla/other person. Since I was generally understatted due to levels, I found not using both Reyn to occupy the enemy’s attention and Sharla to heal was difficult. I could get away with using a more DPS heavy party against easy randoms, but anything actually challenging I generally liked pulling out both of them. I generally used Melia for inflicting multi-target doom, including on the final boss. Her HP was a bit of a hindrance though, and if I ran into trouble with Melia’s durability (like I seemed to be in most of that big dungeon chain I mentioned) I generally used Seven. I also used Shulk for times when I felt like Shield was useful. Dunban was a bit too evade reliant for my generally underlevelled strategy, and I hate Riki and want to throw him into a fire pit so I didn’t use him.

*spoilers*

Plotwise, I think the game has some interesting ideas. I enjoyed a lot of the plot behind the High Entia, with the various conniving factions, and learning about the Mechonis and its soured relationship with the people of Bionis is quite interesting. I also enjoy the setting, it has a bit of a robot apocalypse survival feel going on, which is pretty neat. It has a lot of plot twists at the end of the game but most of them are heavily foreshadowed (with a hammer). At the end you learn about the mythos surrounding the Bionis and Mechonis, which I honestly have very little opinion on.

Ultimately, though, I think the game has too much yelling for me to take it very seriously. There are too many scenes which could be effective and could have interesting dialogue but the game opts to inform us, once again, that the characters are VERY ANGRY! at the robots / other villains, usually forcing the characters to run at the villain while yelling.

Shulk in particular seems like a character with a great deal of promise but ends up as a one-dimensional caricature of anger and tired main character clichés (we won’t give up no matter what, opposition of evil doers, has super powers which make him super cool and ~amazing~). Reyn is a nice comic relief character, not particularly deep but he is fun. Sharla falls a bit into the trappings of being primarily motivated by anger, but she’s not awful. Dunban is pretty cheesy and seems to exist mostly to provide exposition to the player and to have an anime rivalry with Metal Face. Melia seems to have a bit more emotional complexity than the other characters; while she is angry at the villains, it doesn’t seem to dominate her character interactions in the same way that I feel like Sharla’s does. Riki is a failed joke character. Seven seems to straddle this line between damsel in distress and a kind of interesting mix of flirtiness and badassness. I’m ultimately fine with her, and it allows me to talk about having a killer robot as a PC so that’s a plus.

The villains are a mixed bag. I’m very amused by the penultimate boss; not really a great character, but he is effective at making you want to punch him in the face. Egil is a bit of an emo loser but his motivations at least make a certain amount of sense, and I liked that the game points out that he is not all that different from you. Final boss is an amusingly terrible person (although what was up with his final outfits? He looked so much cooler before his transformation). His motive of wanting friendship, though… did he take friendship advice from Bender (Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans)? Metal Face is a hilariously bad villain, zomg plot twist he’s the evil guy from the intro that you don’t give a shit about! Now let’s yell at him a lot. He was a better villain before he talked.

*end spoilers*

The game is pretty nice looking; I liked many of the environments and found piddling around the various cities to be quite fun. I like the variable outfits for characters showing up in the cutscenes, for all that I would have liked to give Reyn some suboptimal gear so he would look less silly. I decided to make Shulk with no clothes for the final cutscenes because it amused me. The music is solid; I particularly like the overworld theme on Bionis.

I FORGOT TO MENTION KALLIAN! HE IS SO BISHIE! I WANT TO HUG HIM AND GIVE HIM KISSES~!

I’m glad I played the game, even it wasn’t necessarily my cup of tea. I’d be interested in playing the sequel if it cleans up the gameplay problems I mentioned above.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:21:49 PM by Luther Lansfeld »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: September 10, 2014, 11:05:47 PM »
Kirby Squeak Squad: Over half way in, both treasure wise and stage wise! 

Kirby is more effective at beating up mice than most animated cats.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: September 11, 2014, 06:35:21 AM »
I forgot two things in my Xenoblade post.

1. It's almost Reyn time!
2. noble sacrifices are the bomb, according to this game

Anyway, decided to play some older games.

CT - Just beat down Magus. Ice Water murders randoms, Ice Sword murders Magus.

Zelda 2 - Never played this before so I decided to start it due to being filled with self-hatred. Beat the first castle and am now trying to figure out how to beat boomerang guys without dying horribly.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: September 11, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »
Dark Souls: so I started playing this a couple days ago.  Between speedruns and Northern Lion's Let's Play I'm totally spoiled on the game so I'm just gonna embrace that.  I got to Anor Londo with a pyromancer and then a sorcerer, basically just getting a feel for stuff, sorcery seemed hellafied but maybe it's less impressive in the lategame or something.  Anyway since I'd gotten the hang of the first few bosses I decided to start over again this morning and do the Great Club thing mentioned a little while back in this thread, because that sounded awesome.  Slow weapons seemed bad though so I figured it'd be sort of a challenge run.

Instead it's been the easiest start yet.  Right away I made a dash for the blacksmith (pausing to note how Taurus died to my second plunging attack), got my Great Club to +5, thought about fighting gargoyles but decided I needed more damage first.  So I killed Capra on my first attempt, grabbed the Ember real quick from the Depths, and got to +6 using the large titanite I'd picked up while getting the club initially.  Then I tested it out on Moonlight Butterfly just to make sure it was up to code.  This thing is disgusting; Capra's been pretty tough every run but the jumping attack just crumpled him up, and I barely fell short of one-rounding the Butterfly.

Gargoyles killed me once when I flubbed the switch between two-hands and shield, then I got it right and killed the first gargoyle before the second showed up and it was cake.  Then I repeated the skip to Quelaag and killed her first try, enabling me to Homeward Bone right back to Firelink Shrine.  I feel sorta bad about skipping Depths and Blighttown but I got cursed and murdered by awful gecko monsters and a giant rat when I took my pyro down there so for now I'm alright.  Taking my act to Sen's Fortress next where I'll try to make the Iron Golem ledge kill work.  Best game of three years ago etc, all it took for me to try it was constant assertions of that fact in this thread over and over ever since it came out.

edit: wow okay Stray Demon's dead now too.  I checked the wiki for what I might be trading up for later (if anything) and noticed the Dragon Tooth.  It seems to have better base damage but worse scaling?  I can't find an intelligible explanation of damage scaling via stats anywhere, so, does anyone know if the Great Club's better in the end?  I hope it is.

edit x2: O&S are dead, got Dragon Tooth but ignoring it in favor of my Great Club +10, eyeing Smough's Hammer but I think it's just too heavy
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:24:26 PM by Otter »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: September 11, 2014, 08:03:46 PM »
Best game of three years ago etc, all it took for me to try it was constant assertions of that fact in this thread over and over ever since it came out.

While you're catching up on vintage 2010-12, play Civilization V (w/ Gods & Kings).  Laggy needs more souls to harvest from the nuked wastelands.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: September 11, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
edit: wow okay Stray Demon's dead now too.  I checked the wiki for what I might be trading up for later (if anything) and noticed the Dragon Tooth.  It seems to have better base damage but worse scaling?  I can't find an intelligible explanation of damage scaling via stats anywhere, so, does anyone know if the Great Club's better in the end?  I hope it is.

Smough's Hammer is unfortunately pretty much trash (most boss weapons are). Even if you pump up your strength to the absurd heights required to wield it one-handed, it'll turn out a little weaker than the great club. It's also way too fucking heavy to be worth the bother. And Dragon Tooth uses super rare upgrade materials you likely won't have enough of without farming and/or PVP, and is also weaker. Gets you a bonus to fire resist though. zomg

EDIT: I guess Smough's might turn out better if you two-hand it? Whatevs, it still weighs too much.

Scaling? A or S = awesome, usually indicates one of the best weapons of its type (if you're pumping the relevant stat). B is passable. Less than that tends to indicate something garbage for bonus damage that's best off as an elemental weapon.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: September 11, 2014, 08:59:09 PM »
But how else can you gimmick O and S phantom killing O and S?

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: September 11, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »
Best game of three years ago etc, all it took for me to try it was constant assertions of that fact in this thread over and over ever since it came out.

While you're catching up on vintage 2010-12, play Civilization V (w/ Gods & Kings).  Laggy needs more souls to harvest from the nuked wastelands.

Sounds lame.  Maybe.  I was always trying to get Laggy to play StarCraft with me, maybe we'll be able to play this instead at some point.  But right now it's not Dark Souls so no.

Smough's Hammer is unfortunately pretty much trash (most boss weapons are). Even if you pump up your strength to the absurd heights required to wield it one-handed, it'll turn out a little weaker than the great club. It's also way too fucking heavy to be worth the bother. And Dragon Tooth uses super rare upgrade materials you likely won't have enough of without farming and/or PVP, and is also weaker. Gets you a bonus to fire resist though. zomg

EDIT: I guess Smough's might turn out better if you two-hand it? Whatevs, it still weighs too much.

Scaling? A or S = awesome, usually indicates one of the best weapons of its type (if you're pumping the relevant stat). B is passable. Less than that tends to indicate something garbage for bonus damage that's best off as an elemental weapon.

Yeah I decided against Smough's so I am now rocking Great Club +13.  How that happened is I saw you needed the Very Large Ember for more upgrades and that it was in New Londo, so I thought, here's an area that hasn't really been spoiled for me much, I'll try to run all over it looking for this Ember.

5 deaths later I find Ingward (in the meantime I had to run up and buy transient curses from the female undead merchant), now I can buy cheaper transient curses and have that Key to the Seal thing, cool.  2 deaths later I find the valve that lets me drain the waterpark.  3 deaths later I get frustrated after dying to three badass black knight-looking dudes and just look up where the Ember is.  None of the souls from all the times I cleared out the ghosts ended up persisting, kinda like the ~20k I lost when I got cocky on O&S.  But now I can leave this place until everything else is dead.

So after a hop, skip and a jump around the burg and parish for black knights bearing titanite chunks, I've got my +13 weapon (good enough for the time being) and no direction at all.  I'm thinking about heading back to Quelaag's crib and murdering her sister for the firekeeper soul (my estus flask is depressingly at +1 still), and past that maybe I'll buy a Reinforced Club or something from the merchant so I can make it Divine and take it to the Catacombs.  The world is my oyster really.  I'm leaving strength at 32 for now, it doesn't seem to keep paying off much and I'd rather pump end/vit (everything else is default still).

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: September 11, 2014, 09:37:13 PM »
Divine clubs are for scrubs. Just run & gun the catacombs til you gank all the necromancers.  You'll probably be 1-shotting the skellies anyway.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: September 12, 2014, 01:13:21 AM »
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreem Legends Complete Edition - Sub-subtitles are awesome. Slugging my way through Ambition mode with Zhurong. Boomerang is kinda trashy early then turns BRUTAL when you get the C6 and have good elements on it. Cyclone/Induction/Slash all at 10 = the C6 can do half an officer's health in one shot. Through guard. Nasty piece of work there.

Everything else - I am being ADD as hell about games lately and unable to focus on anything in specific longer than like an hour or two before changing games next time I play something. Dunno what the fuck.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: September 12, 2014, 01:19:08 AM »
I had seven hours worth of nightmares about Dynasty Warriors last night.

I haven't played a game since 3.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: September 12, 2014, 01:30:23 AM »
Were you being killed by archers from outside of draw distance? DW3 will give people nightmares about that.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: September 12, 2014, 01:34:24 AM »
No I was barraged by an endless amount of names trying to politically maneuver around.  Do you know who Chung Gao is?  I don't!  But he kept taking control of my right arm and trying to cross a river.