Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183547 times)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2025 on: August 31, 2014, 03:05:26 PM »
I still have 3, but using it when I still sometimes die in a few seconds seems like the not smartest decision.

I have nearly won a few times but die to breath attack, breath attack and ooooooh another breath attack.  Y U NO DODGE!?!?!?

Grefter, are you not using a shield or something? Because you really should be using a shield. I'm fairly sure the Knight Shield you can get just before this boss has pretty high fire damage reduction, too...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 31, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »
Kirby: Triple Deluxe - Pretty boring so far, but I'm only in World 1 and those are often bad.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: August 31, 2014, 10:45:55 PM »
Was using shield.  Might have needed to overcome natural response to not trying to block giant waves of fire breath, but I didn't have the stamina to block 2 of them in a row (especially while two Gargoyles were up) even if I did block.  The answer really lay in better positioning an control of distance (which I could do when I didn't explode the first 50% of Gargoyle 1's health in about 4 seconds of entering the battle field).  Over invested in Strength because I knew I wanted to use Large/Great Club and that Zweihander looked fun (I don't use it enough) and I wanted to see in practice the difference between swinging with stats vs not.

Anyway, realised I wanted to go back and get some missed stuff.  So went head to head with Havel.  Won on the third try.  Feel pumped, okay lets go do those Black Knights.  Fought the one in Burg and the one in Parish.  Win those pretty handily (Some deaths on Parish one).  Killed Titanite Demon near Andre.  Mostly just clearing out non-respawning things so I can leg it around easier.  Did Moonlight Butterfly, died once to seeing what attacks actually look like.  Threw Fireballs and some Firebombs at it next time.  As lol as expectation has been setup.  I still need to kill the Halberd Black Knight blocking Valley of the Drakes entrance I think (just forget).  I died embarassingly often to treedude hugs from the pair of 3 pulls of 2 treedude and 1 Stone giant.  Stone Giants are also great.  Run up to them.  Give them membership twice while they are standing up for free 600 souls. 

Torn as to what to do next.  I could do The Depths and get Laurentius unlocked so I can actually build up Pyromancy (no points in Attunement so far.  Feel bad.) but I really was thinking of hitting up New Londo Ruins to get access to Vamos and a Green Titanite Chunk so I could throw together a Holy Weapon and try Catacombs and get the Rite of Kindling.

What I am doing especially bad though is NPC quests.  Like.  I didn't see Lautrec, couldn't work out how to get Solaire to offer to let me join up with the Bros (so I guess that is out).  Never gone human, so never seen their summon signs.  Killed Butterfly without summoning Beatrice, so she apparently won't show up for 4 kings (though understand that isn't greatly beneficial anyway).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 31, 2014, 11:38:51 PM »
Halberd black knight's guarding a pretty nifty shield. I mean, it's terrible as a shield (crap stability and resists, not even 100% physical) but handy as an accessory (stamina regen up). I don't use it just because it's so awful for blocking and a later ring can serve the same purpose, but it's probably the most widely used shield in the game.

Solaire never disappears (unless you totally flub his quest near the end of the game, which you probably will because lol Chaos covenant). If he's not still in his starting location (the ledge before the wyvern bridge) then eventually he should turn up on a platform by the bonfire just past the wyvern (you can run past between fire barrages, he might fly down to try and land on you but just keep running).

EDIT: Four Kings are easier without Beatrice. She inflates their durability without materially contributing and her presence alone makes their AI less predictable. She can solo the butterfly with ease, of course, but whatevs it's Moonlight Butterfly.

DS2: Master samurai downed through dagger spammage. Daggers are pro. Sadly, he's in the 2/3 of DLC bosses so far that look completely immune to poison.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:41:51 PM by El Cideon »

Niji

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: September 01, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »
Demon Souls: oh gosh the story is so wet noodle thin plot and adopted sister complex I can't take it, the gameplay is so cool, USE YOUR POKEMONS SOUKS TO FORGE NEE EQUIPMENT is SOOO cool. Difficulty level is super weak too.
Monsters: what this battle system is completely automated, but what's this story it's teasingly interesting with its music concept.
Fortina Magus: the bromance is strong with the non player characters! Random little girl super badass THE high priestess appears, sociopolitical interest and intrigue, far to easy random fights and brutal boss fights. STORY is probably the most hits all my favorite notes, never seen a jrpg go there, kinda thing. Feels like the best rpgmaker game with HD sprites.

EpicHearts Plus: so addicted to your battle system. Apparently this was originally a regular mobile game and everything, so high quality.

KH HD remix 1.5: Yessssssss
Super Mario RPG: LotSS - sooo fun still, kinky music I'm noticing now.
2D/2.5D RPGs, Platformers, Action-RPGs, Brawlers are my bag! Minor Video Game knowledge outside of those!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: September 02, 2014, 03:55:47 AM »
Bravely Default: Chapter 8!  Ok, game, this is kind of getting out of hand with this ridiculousness.  Did we really need to do this again?

At least the Asterisk Refights in Chap 7 were cool, dunno what to expect in Chap 8, and yes I'll do them all because I've been doing them all thus far, I CAN'T STOP NOW! COMPLETIONIST POWERS TO THE MAX! ...just so long as it doesn't have dragons involved...

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: September 02, 2014, 06:54:34 AM »
BD- Chapter 4. Speaking of Dragons, I just beat them. Having a hell of a time with the asterisk fight afterwards. I guess I could train up more Ninjas and go cheap, but that's really not my preferred method (I used one Utsusemi spam for Dragons. It's weird that that they de-emphasized elemental resists so badly because it had been a long time since I last paid attention to them (minus some unimportant summon gaining) and that would have made them matter a lot.

Of course, I also realize that I don't really want to track down all the Vampire moves, so I'm not sure why I did this anyways (Extra challenge works I guess. Dragons were often fun fights, if overly similar).

By the way, Utsusemi is technically not 100% against everything. Specials go around it! (Yes, obviously this can only be discovered on enemy usage of it unless that changes with a later boss). But worth noting (So I guess it arguably doesn't like limits. Depends on how you feel about the fact that enemies can't take advantage of it. Certainly should by held against Kikyo).
...into the nightfall.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: September 02, 2014, 11:12:18 AM »
Suikoden 2 - I hadn't realised how annoying the music is in this.  I probably normally turn it off.  All the instruments are super synthy and honestly kind of boring.  Most tracks either range from "Annoying dude at a renfaire that you would punch" to "Is this a 3 bar loop of annoying things?".  Some of them stand out as okay.  Some of them is Gothic Neclord which is good but you never hear often enough.  Then you have towns like Two Rivers, it has three different tracks used (one is a commonly reused one, but still...).  There is even one that I swear is a reject from Wild Arms 1.  There is just tons of music in this game and it is all just kind of meh as a whole.  Compared to Suikoden 1 which still wasn't great, but was way more batshit weird and quirky compared to 2.  Weird since I remember really digging Suikoden 3 and I have downloaded the OSTs in the past.

Dark Souls - So I fucked around in the Darkroot Basin a little bit, got mad at Hydra because his MIRV of water likes to hit you in the back even if you blocked one of the spews.  Went back to the Asylum, got Rusted Iron Ring and Crest Shield (which is my guy now), didn't bother going back to Hydra though.  The Black Knight guarding the cell with the doll seemed to be scaled up way more than others and I hadn't worked out how to backstab consistently when I was there (knowing you need to drop shield is key), so gave up on that figuring I would come back with more gear.  Probs can kill now though.  Poked at Stray Demon.  Massive AoEs is boring.  Flew back.  Went to Catacombs.  This area is terrible and super easy to get lost in.  Lost a bunch of souls accumulated by running the area approximately 1 billion times.  Got a bit mad once when I was trying to find second bonfire and made it to the boss instead.  0 Estus left, like 1 dot of HP left.  Saw a drop into boss room.  Homeward boned out.  Lost all those souls anyway (should have levelled obviously).  Got down there again without finding the bonfire.  Have heard a million times how EZBRO he is.  Went in, got wiped hard by clones.  Went to bed.

Next morning, get bonfire easy after looking up that it is another fucking hidden wall and is right next to Patches spawn point so I had made it past that things consistently most tries.  I spent a long time in Catacombs in 2 play sessions.  Still no where near getting all the loot.  That place is terrible.  If this is the map design people miss in DS2 in favour of more linear stuff?  Give me the linear stuff.  Running through Burg and Parish was best parts of game to me so far and I know between Depths and Blighttown coming up I am going to just miss them more, so sounds like DS2 might be more my kind of game.  Anyway, Bonewheel Skeleton gangbang valley, that place really isn't fun.  Found it easy to pick them off one by one from Vamos area, but no sure how do any other way.  They do crazy crazy damage and have no HP.  Out of proportion risk/reward, but that is the game's MO. 

Pinwheel himself killed me once more because fire hurts.  Second time he did go down.  Long fight because I wasn't really sure how to tell his clones apart, but this time had way more success keeping them under control.  Even with +5 Club and level 30ish he doesn't have a ton of HP, so I can see how if you are coming back end game he goes down super easy.  If he will die in 1 or 2 hits there is no chance for his clones to reach a critical mass or anything.

Figured I would do the sprint under Hellkite Drake for giggles.  Did that.  Saw he despawned when I went a bit into the Parish.  Then running out he landed again and ganked me  when I futzed around on the bridge.  Not sure what do.  meh move on.

Still was tossing up if I poop on Capra or do him properlike.  Figured I would go in once and have a look.  Died in about 2 seconds because I rolled left instead of Right (straight at the stairs instead of away from them) and got caught up in a clusterfuck of hitboxes.  Okay, that is the rep, so it goes.  Go in again after unlocking shortcut to Firelink and stuff.  Dodge around, kill both dogs.  Get killed by Capra.  Figure I have the fight worked out.  Decide that poop is more fun.  Should only take 4 pies to kill him if you hit him with all.  I bought 15.  Killed one of his dogs.  Got down to 3 and still didn't have him poisoned.  Meh lets throw the last over the wall.  That got him.  Satisfying way to kill a boss honestly, just because the vendor that sells poop is right next to the boss and everything.

Forget if I babbled about New Londo Ruins, but I have done those also if I haven't mentioned.  Ghosts were generous and I have like 4 Jagged Ghost Blades, so only really used one Transient Curse.  I am not a fan of them as enemies.  Yeah it is cool having ghosts being able to move through walls, but it really doesn't work well when anything being on a different vertical plane than you is mega fucked.  You fight about half of them on skinny platforms where they can approach you from multiple angles.  It is just incredibly unsatisfying play.  Neat concept, but I don't think the engine really supports it well.  Also approaching a building super slow waiting to bait out any ghosts only to have like 6 of them float through walls as soon as you set foot in the building you spent 2 minutes approaching is boring as fuck.  Having it happen twice is even more boring.  zzzzzzzzzzz stick to dudes around blind corners please.

Also fuck that they can attack through walls, but my Ghost Blade still bashes against solid surfaces.  That could have been a cool trade off for those weapons to let them clip through walls.

Funniest things from all play sessions is finding out that between flying out of Asylum and returning someone took the time to repair the wall to where Oscar was fucked up and reset the rolling ball trap that never reset between bonfires.  Look forward to seeing if it resets every time you fly back.  Also of course I ate it in the face again.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: September 02, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
Working through some games I got from bundles / Trips

Torchlight 2: made a shotgun-focused outlander on Veteran and made it to Act 2 before just getting really bored of the combat.  Like it's cool that I'm clicking the skeletons and they're dying but wouldn't it be cooler if I were actually aiming the shotgun and could maybe dodge enemy attacks with a roll or something?  Why am I doing this instead of playing Bastion?  Is it the loot?  I guess I thought my extended hiatus from this genre would leave me fresh and eager to push through the campaign but that didn't happen.  Someone said Diablo 3 was more interactive and cared about positioning or something, maybe I'll try and get my fix there.

One Finger Death Punch: so this is Torchlight 2 but instead of exp bars and the chance to find some heute leute you've got high scores and no-miss rounds as the OCD hooks du jour.  Adjusting speed to your performance is sensible design and serves as an extra incentive (you don't want to beat a stage only to get the "congrats, but, game speed down because you suck" message).  Beyond that, I mean, it's a browser game that tests reflexes, I played while listening to some podcasts and finished the Grandmaster levels.  It would be sorta cool to set up a 1v1 survival-mode challenge on Twitch (since realtime competition is more fun than comparing your best runs) but outside a situation like that I'm probably done with it.

Guacamelee!: I had no idea this was a Metroidvania or I wouldn't have let it lie dormant in my Steam library for so long.  Ran through it in one sitting yesterday, ran through Hard in one sitting today and got all the secret orbs for the good ending and grabbed all the gold medals in El Infierno.  I really have no complaints except that it's over now and so I'm not playing a Metroidvania anymore.  If it were up to me I'd get to play a new one every week.

FEZ: this's the one Trips gave me, there's platforming and puzzles and the big idea is that you can rotate the perspective.  So far there is not much to the platforming and you solve every puzzle pretty much the same way and so I'm not really impressed yet, but I'm still pretty near the beginning?  I wish it made a better impression sooner but for all I know it could get really good soon.

Dark Souls talk is making me pretty jealous.  Jealous enough to slog through researching USB controllers?  By several accounts it is not much fun to play by keyboard, so, for now I am watching speedruns and reading lore and seething.  Something was bound to make me miss consoles sooner or later.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: September 02, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »
just get a wired 360 controller. It's basically plug and play for dark souls

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2035 on: September 02, 2014, 04:39:54 PM »
just get a wired 360 controller. It's basically plug and play for dark souls

It's basically plug and play for every PC game with a console version since like 2008.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: September 02, 2014, 08:46:38 PM »
Grefter: no one misses the Catacombs. They are terrible.

I tend to just shoot all the ghosts in New Londo because screw vertical melee tolerance (get a bow if you don't already have one).

Trick for hydra is to start from the left side of the valley (where there's a slight rise hidden by a wall) and charge diagonally across to where the corpse is lying in the water in front of him. Most of his projectiles will target where you were a second ago just so long as you're not running straight at him. Once you reach the water he totally forgets he can fire spitglobs of doom and goes exclusively melee instead, which is no threat whatsoever so long as you've got a decent shield (which you do). Hydras are incredibly boring, probably the dumbest enemy design in the game (okay zombie dragons might win out here). Glad there's only ever two of them.

You have to get past him if you want to be as fabulous as possible, though. You do want to be fabulous, right?

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: September 03, 2014, 02:23:51 AM »
Tales of Xillia 2: Everything about this game is drenched in such absolute unfun shit it is actually fucking impressive.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: September 03, 2014, 05:22:58 AM »
Bravely Default: Hey, I can take on the Blood Rose Legion!  I beat the other two legions no pro-*gets slaughtered multiple times despite various different approaches*

...screw that, I'm going to make actual progress in the game now; seems these last refights don't even offer significant rewards.

That said, just defeated a Pokemon that Mega Evolved.  What the hell do I mean?  Well, see, it was a Bug type and it was weak to Fire, so it clearly was a Pokemon.  And since it transformed middle battle, clearly it Mega Evolved.  it did use more than 4 attacks, but I just call cheating bullshit AI hax there.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: September 03, 2014, 05:39:40 AM »
I've been playing some games in the time I've been gone.

Been fiddling around with Romance of the Three Kingdoms 7 around when I dropped offline.  First playthrough was a nice one, decided to play a combatworthy thug with some charisma, but dumb as a rock and no good at politics.  Tried seeing if I could help vault a minor power to a major force up in the northern plains, but the guy never actually did anything, so I left and joined up with Cao Cao who was busy conquoring the joint.  Got plenty of fights that way, and eventually got to be a governor and led a major campaign southward, eventually getting to be a part of the collapse of Sun Quan's Wu.  (The Liu family's Shu got taken out by the Sun family.)

This led to The Legend of Cao Cao, because I found an english patch for it, and it's rare to see a FE style of game that is not FE itself.  I've gotten up to the battle of Chi Bi, which is as brutal as it really ought to be, and the game is kinda fun.  You're given choices, some of which are story choices which move you on this Good/Bad, or perhaps Orderly/Chaotic meter, which will apparently branch the story sooner or later.  And some of which let you decide on your objectives in battle, or even if you're going to retreat instead of fighting on.  And picking the correct answer there can net you more powerful equipment.

This leads to the next game because the two above both prominently feature one class.  The Tactician/Strategist.  Complete with their fluffy war fan.  So, naturally, the next game in the chain is Suikoden 5, because Lucrecia is the closest thing the series has to a proper Chinese Strategist.

This game, the plot is still strong.  Probably not as strong as 3, but that's not really a failing.  On the downside...  loading times are a big one.  The games used to be great at keeping battle times down, but here it's just terrible.  Recruitment is also bad, with several recruitments getting their own quests or dungeons.  And with their trolling you with the old school "Please join me" options.  Fortunately, I was able to borrow a strategy guide which got me all the characters, but still.  Finally, the army battles, which have two major flaws.  The more easily seen one is that it's a real time strategy thing where you have no ability to pause or slow things down to give commands.  Or even, really, to move around the screen without cheating the system a bit.  This is troubling, since the game will outslug you if you don't give good commands and the game seems to love following up a skirmish in one location with a Barrage on the other side of the map so your response is delayed.  But, the bigger flaw, in my opinion, is that the game gives you very little freedom in building your units.  This is a series where you have 108 characters, and most of them get to play in the army sequences.  But, a lot of the battles have forced units, and the naval units are probably the worst about this.  After you get the beavers, the rest of the naval units are basically just support for them.  And the Dragon Horses should just add to that.  But the game always forces them to take up a land unit slot.  Because a godly naval unit should start off as a passable land unit, AND should force you to make another floating Recover repository instead of getting another land unit that'll actually fight.

Ah well, at least the plot is still good.  Just at the final dungeon now.

And finally, the portable games.

Seventh Dragon - I've been fooling around with this.  Currently in the first arc after the prologue.  Don't know if I'm actually going to finish, or if it'll eventually feel too grindy, which is part of what turned me off EO3.  But right now I'm digging the actual dungeons, and the attempt at a plot.  And the benefits for dealing with the Dragons properly.

Edgeworth 2 - Currently in the middle of the third case.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I'm having a hard time really getting into this game.  That said, I did dig the second case once it got near the end.  And I suspect I'll do the same with this case.  I also really enjoy the interaction between Courtney and Edgeworth.  But...  DeBest...  on the one hand, I do find him kinda funny.  But on the other hand, his logic makes my head hurt.  And I am having such a hard time dealing with why Courtney is putting up with him at all.  So, yeah.  Kinda want to finish the game just to see what the deal is there.

Also, one random thought.  You name your ship the Red Rum in the Phoenix Wright universe and then are surprised when a) a corpse shows up on it, and b) you're accused of killing them?  It's tempting fate in the same way as running around in a thunderstorm holding a lightning rod as high as you can is asking to get electrocuted.

9 Hours, 9 People, 9 Doors

Completed.  I had an old save where I got the Submarine ending from a year ago, and decided to take another crack.  Basically, I did five and a half playthroughs (the half is where I was going for the Coffin ending, but decided to save before locking myself into it to check a door option that was still white.  Got a repeat of the Sub ending, which was expected, then went back to my save and did the Coffin ending as planned) in rapid succession.  It actually worked fairly well since each repetition revealed something new, and it felt like I got the appropriate progression.

I kinda wanted to make this post while the ending was still fresh in my mind, instead of about a week old.  But c'est la vie.  Regardless, I enjoyed the game a lot once I got into it.  Each ending did a great job of adding a little more to my understanding of what was going on.  And the twist in the True end was actually pretty good, though it added some questions of it's own.  That said, I've since resolved some of my speculations by reading the Answers section on the game's website.  So, yeah. 

I knew something was up with Akane.  Everyone had their reason for being there, but Junpei's only connection was her, so I knew something about her had to explain why Junpei was there.  Was not expecting that the bottom screen narrator was going to be pre-teen Akane though. 

The other thing that really caught my interest is the climax.  It's weird.   On the one hand, I was thinking "So, a nine year conspiracy to commit kidnapping and murder for the sole reason of time travelling sudoku solving."  On the other, I was totally caught up in the moment.  I cared.  Which means that as ludicrous as the climax objectively is, it did it's job.

And that, as they say, is that.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2040 on: September 03, 2014, 08:36:52 AM »
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney- Haha, man the ending is Layton-y and kinda dumb.  Not really in a bad way I suppose.  Very hard to take seriously though, but like I said, Layton.  Just a pity because some of the earlier bits are pretty effective.

So the game is largely two games with one plotline, which probably doesn't surprise anyone.  I've only played one other Layton game, the first (Curious Village).  And certainly this is a better Layton game than that, but in Layton game terms this came out... like in between the eighth and ninth games in the series or something like that, so there's obviously going to be a huge gap in polish and quality-of-life stuff there, especially since far as I can tell most of the game-development side of things was Level-5's people to start with.  The PW aspects meanwhile feel kinda throwback-y and reminds me of the trilogy more.  This is largely to the game's detriment as newer games were much better about having to retread press-chains and presenting the right evidence several steps too early.  Still, it's not like the earlier PW games were bad and thusly it's still got its strong points as a PW game as well.

So let's talk about it like a PW game for the rest of the post.  Case Order: 3>>1>>>>>>>>ohgodcase2burnit.  Case 4 is... not normal and I find it hard to judge.  Breakdowns in smalltext.

Case 1 is, well, Case 1.  it's pretty good at it: there's just two witnesses, but they're reasonably memorable and the case is that rarest of Phoenix Wright cases that is in no way murder.  Between those two things and the British Judge being pretty danged cool it's llikely the best Case 1 in the series.  But as a Case 1 it's also half-length and so it's just solid overall.

Case 2 is so, soooo bad.  I managed to game-over myself into the middle-point of the case TWICE due to outthinking the game.  A lot of the case is meant to teach you the new courtroom mechanics, basically the idea of having multiple witnesses at once and one witness's statements triggering new information from the others, or using conflicting statements as an Objection.  Okay, tutorial mode, annoying but we deal.  Except you start with four witnesses and they are ALL TERRIBLE.  I get that, narratively, you want to introduce how Labyrinthia works, and that these are irrational peasants on a witch hunt but oh my god.  Nevermind that their particular quirks are basically "Be annoying as possible."  One witness carries around a goat.  Her main mannerism is "squeeze goat so hard it cries out in pain."  Almost every time she says something.  Repeatedly when hyou have to Press her.  I found myself dreading Pressing her.
Basically the only positive here is that it introduces Emeer, and Emeer is kinda great.

Case 3 is quite nice meanwhile.  It's basically all about Emeer's misadventures in terrible personitude.  The prosecutor rather bluntly admits at this point that he'd tried everything possible to keep the man off the stand and I love it.  It's also got a lot of emotional weight, and not for the obvious reasons but because the game pulls off, about as successfully as 5-DLC, a non-murderous 'killer' who Phoenix fights to keep from the fire.  Good stuff all around.

Case 4 is very crossover-y.  You take some breaks for puzzles (it does make sense in context at least: you need to prove a bit of evidence means what you claim it does) and a sizeable portion of the trial is breaking for exposition-dumpage on how the magic isn't magic (I'm given to understand this is just a THING for Layton)  As such I find it just too hard to judge as a PW case, though as a bit of game in a vacuum it's... alright, but y'know stupid as noted in the very beginning of the post.

Decent enough overall.  7/10 feels right?  Yeah probably.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: September 03, 2014, 11:46:28 PM »
I liked the Catacombs! A LOT. It's one of my favourite areas actually.
Having to rush for necromancers instead of just playing defensively like the rest of the game
Kicking skellies so they don't get necromance'd
Wheelies
That evil spiral staircase
Getting lost
Patches
Invading people and tricking them like Patches
Trying to rush for Pinwheel just for the 20 flasks when I'm obviously too underleved for it
I don't mind the more linear design in DS2 though.

Megami Tensei 1: Got a translation.
Weird to see an RPG with a NES approach to plot (Small cutscene where a ton of stuff happens in 10 seconds, then you're in a dungeon, no more story, and it's all hallways now, hallways everywhere. Also the cutscene is really stupid)
Finished the first dungeon, died lots.

The game's surprisingly a lot better balanced than Shin Megami Tensei 1/2 so far. Essentially you have 2 characters, Girl and Dude, they're both pretty strong but aren't enough. You can recruit and fuse demons and stuff, but summoning a demon costs money and resurrecting a demon also costs money, so it's pretty easy to run out. So yeah. Money management. (Additionally demons require MAG but I've always had more than enough) First boss (Minotaur) was tough as hell. You can't just barge in with demons from the first dungeon, you need to fuse them into Nekomatas and all.
Then ten seconds after the fight Nekomata is already obsolete.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: September 04, 2014, 01:14:35 AM »
The hilarious thing is once you know where to fall the catacombs are hilariously quick.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: September 04, 2014, 02:27:07 AM »
Invading people and tricking them like Patches

Okay, yeah, I'll give it that. Chameleon + flipping people off bridges definitely some of the best trolling to be had in the game.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: September 04, 2014, 03:42:48 AM »
Dark Souls - I went into depths.  Found out all the things I cared about is right at the entrance.  Got the Ember, got Laurentius, got a blob stuck on my head.  Left and stopped for the night.

Suikoden 2 - Did the wander to Matilda bit.  Struck again by how much of a bag of dicks Miklotov is.  He directly says he would have treated Riou differently if he knew who he would become when they first encountered him at Muse.  He objects to watching civilians being slaughtered in front of him because it will make them look bad.

But the douchebaggery is all eclipsed by Gorudo being in or directly after discussions with Miklotov.

Also incredibly accurate representation of Monarchy/Chivalry mentality of divine right, so I can't complain too much, it just really clashes with the rest of the City State.  Which I suuuppooooose makes it make sense that they align somewhat with Highland, but damn if that arc isn't really rough.  Currently fucking around in Muse trying to get another Double Beat rune.  I swear every time I think I get enough at the start of the game I want N+1 more.  Also didn't remember to fuck around and get a Fury Rune or two from Muse at the start of the game, so I feel weak.  Not using Death God Yoshino because without the perma berserk it isn't doing her justice.

But seriously fuck Miklotov.  Camus is a bro though (even if he wants to give everyone the D).  Flik and Victor are the real Yaoi Knights of this game.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: September 04, 2014, 04:34:56 AM »
All of the leaders of the city state from a generation ago are total fucking dicks. Unsurprising there was so much war between the highland and the city states considering that+incompetence.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: September 04, 2014, 06:08:59 AM »
I think it was just three of them who were particularly dickish (Gorudo, Alec Wisemail, and the Muse guy whose name I'm blanking on) but yeah. The game definitely avoids painting the city-state as a simple good-guy country, and I do like the portrayal of Matilda.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: not sure whether being chased by a giant bat while in a rocket barrel or being chased by millions of spiders was more terrifying, probably the former but yeesh. Be afraid of wildlife, be very very afraid. (Also of pits.)

Lightning Returns: I'm finally in Yusnaan now, dealing with people's stupid problems before getting on with the Snow-related plot there.

Marathon 2: Randomly decided to continue the series playthrough I started last year. Highest difficulty, currently at level 21 of 28.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niji

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: September 04, 2014, 06:35:02 AM »
Fortuna Magus: COMPLETED after two additional 6 hour binge playing sessions. I must say this is probably the 3rd best mobile RPG on the iOS. Extra Dungeon boss was reasonably difficult vs my max leveled hax overpowered as hell party, died to its attacks and instant death many times, thankfully PMs swaft of AOE self revive items if been hanging onto paid off. Giga damage onnislashs feel so cheap now though.
While definitely lacking in difficulty it's nice to 101% complete an rpg with this yummy of a story in a mere 14 hours! Cash shop(u can earn the cash in game via battling any monsters x5) items are super ultra broken and at least two are needed to fill the log book to full in non frustrating manner. Got to level 90 by the first boss in BAD end, and 100 in the extra zones after continue+

I just have to say they did not dissapoint with the bromance back story, though I'm left wanting a but more detail... CLEARLY main character is their bro love child when you every alternate line in the story into account.

jRPGs also have way to much BrotherSister complex love stuff. I know Japan historically was oriented to marrying in the family particularly your brother/sister/first cousin you spend the most amount of time with. But DAMNNNN. At least the bromance between the plot starters/finishers was something fresh and trendy.

Can't wait to finish writing this review thing on it.

YES IT WAS SO GOOD I halted the 9 other games I'm mating entirely to binge play this over the past two days. SOOOO GEWD
2D/2.5D RPGs, Platformers, Action-RPGs, Brawlers are my bag! Minor Video Game knowledge outside of those!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: September 04, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »
Masoukishin F COTE - So far so good, just a bit too easy. though, a couple of early stages felt unnecessary. Those stages could have been used to resolve some plot thread that was not concluded yet.

Yotennai also didn't have enough screen time, despite being the mid-game big bad.

Though, points to Shu for finally going "WTF I don't even!"

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2049 on: September 05, 2014, 06:17:17 AM »
All of the leaders of the city state from a generation ago are total fucking dicks. Unsurprising there was so much war between the highland and the city states considering that+incompetence.

Their contemporary Highland counterparts, inversely, always seemed far less shitty than the people who followed them.  Like Genkaku or that guy you murder right before the end of the game whose name evades me.  The old guard seemed a lot more rational, at least, in that their goals were things like "take strategic territories from the enemy" and not "kill everything that lives."