Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183569 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2000 on: August 28, 2014, 08:46:11 PM »
Fenrir do I really need to point out that it isn't just crimson it's King Crimson

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: August 28, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »
I didn't use Blackman, I am a failure.  I tried to use different people than normal.  Used Millich a bunch and a few other random people, but the only really different person outside the norm I grabbed was Ronnie in the final dungeon because she can hate things to death with fireballs.

Otherwise I can't help myself but use Mister Crowley and well the game forces you to use Cleo late in the game so she never hits the final dungeon with a level deficit and Cleo is pretty fucking amazing.

One other thing I did do was grab the Fortune rune at the start of the game and equip it to Victor all the time until the final dungeon just to see how big an impact it has.  It made home about a level higher the the rest of the party all all the time.  Such a great rune.

Edit and yeah King Crimson is actually super Suikoden

Album covers like this.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:16:08 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: August 28, 2014, 11:12:29 PM »
Bravely Default: In the middle of chapter 6.  yes I'm dragging my feet with this game, what about it? Don't blame me, blame the fact that Zatz is ugly as sin!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: August 28, 2014, 11:31:40 PM »
Fenrir do I really need to point out that it isn't just crimson it's King Crimson

It's worth noting that it goes Crimson -> Death Crimson -> King Crimson
Anyway Blackman's how/hoe is stronger. BOOM.

We can't know about Yuber's sword but I bet it's
Gun sword -> Scythe sword -> Gunscythe sword

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: August 28, 2014, 11:48:25 PM »
BTW Suikoden isn't a game where level deficit matters. You have no excuse Grefter. None.

Thinking back, it's weird how cool Suikoden 1 and 3 feel to me while Suikoden 2 and 5 feel totally utterly uncool. 4 being pretty uncool but weird enough to compensate with its super slimy cast.

I want to play Suik1 again sometimes for Qlon & Blackman & others, but the forced characters all the time were too terrible.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: August 29, 2014, 12:49:22 AM »
It doesn't matter for performance with some minor work, but the spike in impact of spell slots just makes mages look attractive without the level deficit.  Like I said, Cleo is really that amazing in practice (hitting that point between spells slots and decent physical that Flik and the other sword/shield dudes do, trading Shield for better hats and L range along with Power for like 2 more L4 slots).  Having her at level 50 just makes her a super attractive pick.

That said, I should have used him.  2 Cyclone Runes, a Rage Rune and a jetpack fueled by HATE wiped out Gold Dragon ridiculously quickly and just cleaved down all the heads within 2 or 3 rounds of each other.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: August 29, 2014, 02:21:19 AM »

?

(sorry CK's bandwidth)
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: August 29, 2014, 02:42:54 AM »
I think that would be more of a Suikoden random boss fight than a character.  Those robo hitops are fucking hot as shit though.

I know I personally would use the shit out of Smug Pirate PC on the "In the Wake of Poseidon" cover.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: August 29, 2014, 02:56:34 AM »
LFT - Jesus it's been a while since I played a PSX game. Circle for confirm? WTF is this bullshit.

Also christ I am bad at this. Multiple resets on both Sand Ra-a-ats Cellar and Algus. I think part of that is being really rusty and the other part being that I'm playing around midnight and get tired.

Oh, FUCK! is the best name for Ramza btw.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: August 29, 2014, 03:04:28 AM »
FUCK! It is I you must fight with!

Yeah I have no counter-argument.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: August 29, 2014, 03:27:57 AM »
It also works well if you pretend that Ramza yells his name before everything he says.

"Oh FUCK! It's the guards! Let's deal with them before the others come."

"Oh FUCK! Delita, are you OK?"
"Leave me, Oh FUCK! After I'm done with Algus, you're next!"
"Oh FUCK! Delita..."

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: August 29, 2014, 10:30:10 AM »
Circle for confirm fucks me up constantly. Seriously you guys, why.

DS2: Thar be more DLC.

Though suffering from an unfortunate and persistent grayness in some areas, the level design and architecture are still head and shoulders above most of the base game. Exploration's a lot of fun. Boss quality mixed. From still thinks the best way to make bosses tough is to just give them too much damage and absolute boatloads of HP (disclaimer of course that I've only played this on NG+). Fume Knight is mostly pretty fair as far as moveset goes, but seriously that damage is just wrong. I've been overkilled at close to two thousand HP by some of his attacks.

*Mystery Boss* is the biggest strike against DLC round 2 just because he's a motherfucking palette swap, and basically the last one you'd want to see. I guess it shouldn't be a huge surprise given the area, but come on. I still hate him and I still hate his ass-face. The flame aura on his sword now covers most of the arena (which is no bigger than it was last time) and they fiddled with his moveset just enough to ensure you'll get murdered for relying on reflex memory alone. It doesn't help that getting to him is possibly the worst run in the entire game so far. The only possible shortcut requires you to have near-perfect timing on two consecutive sequences of dodges (missing basically ensures death by Enemy Horde Ahead) and doesn't so much skip anything as give you the opportunity to snipe the most obnoxious dudes instead of fighting them all melee. Running past everyone is much easier said than done considering there are three horrible enemy groups to navigate around and they all include dudes with Tranquil Walk of Peace (or whatever it's called in DS2). And the loot for the entire area is almost wholly worthless! Your prize for all this is just a beardy mask. From be trolling.

So yeah, fuck Iron Passage, probably the worst place in the entire game, but apart from that side area Crown of the Iron King is pretty cool. Sir Alonne is basically the kind of fight you wanted the entire base game and mostly failed to get. Unquestionably the highlight. Dude's just some random samurai but he's absolutely terrifying (and for once in DS2 the music is of outstanding contextual benefit, which may color my judgement a little). Unfortunately, cool as his sword is, it's a tactical nuke rather than a main weapon. While not Old Whip fragile, it still won't last very long. But you can commit seppuku to get a damage buff! (It looks like straight-up double damage from limited usage so far.) Other stuff:

-Just waiting for someone to extract the statue audio clips from the game so we can actually tell what the hell they're saying. (Other than "I am sinful," because come on lady you're a Souls NPC, I mean duh.)

-"Predators invaded."

-Arty's sword is back! It explicitly benefits lefties, which is outstanding.

-I got a ring that makes me invisible while rolling. OP.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:01:28 AM by El Cideon »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: August 30, 2014, 01:31:23 AM »
FF6 Eviltype: Nearing the end of this, all that's really left is the final bosses. They are, at these levels, unsurprisingly terrifying. Hope you guys like stupidly long challenge recaps (if not, you know where the page down button is).

Doom (2 resets): [Terra/Relm/Strago/Gogo] I'm a bit fuzzy on this fight now, beyond that it isn't too bad early. Ice magic everywhere, so resisting it is certainly key, and the physicals are mean so maintaining a good defence is important. The second half of the fight is where things get hairy. Part of the problem is Forcefield which shuts down a fair bit of my offence (namely, Relm's Pearl is the best thing I have), part of the problem is her triplecombo of Reverse Polarity / Demon Rage / physical which kills one person for sure and possibly one other person (yeah I should have had Gau or Mog in this team), and notably removes Protect which is necessary to not get blitzed down by the physicals. Also Step Mine can murder people too. But... really not too bad overall!

Goddess (8 resets): [Umaro/Shadow/Sabin/Gau] So once she enters a certain HP loop Goddess gains a crap-ton of damage moves and multiacting, including Flash Rain, Cleansweep, Scar Beam, Pearl, and Quasar. I could talk a bunch about the various defensive shenanigans needed to survive all this (in particular, which hits both sides and which don't, makes a big difference!) but none of it matters because uh holy crap Quasar does like 1900 MT ITE ITD damage to both sides oh god I'm dead. The solution to a limit OHKO move? MP kill the bitch.

But I didn't incur 8 resets on Quasar alone, which meant the other seven came from how nasty the fight is even in the first stage. (Made extra hard by this being probably my weakest party.) The crap I have to deal with:

Bolt 3: Crazy amounts of lightning damage, also used as a counter sometimes. Block lightning or die, even halving it is pretty bad and may KO. Unfortunately this party lacks much innate lightning defence beyond Umaro's Rage Ring, so once the two Thunder Shields are gone I don't have much else unless I want to use a Force Shield, which isn't an option for reasons which will be clear later. The solution? Well, Goddess does damage in one of two ways: physical and lightning. And Gau can be set up to null physicals. So... drop the lightning defence on him, just cast Reflect, and I never need to heal him, though recasting Reflect is a concern. I consider a Wall Ring here but I opt not to for relic slot reasons.

Physicals and Drain Kiss: So aside from a bucket more HP and a small magic power boost, Goddess isn't that different a boss from vanilla. This is probably the biggest change, out of nowhere, she learned how to hit like a truck. Safe is absolutely necessary on Sabin/Shadow to not get pureed and even then Drain Kiss comes very close to OHKOing; it also means I need to equip them into relatively high-def setups past their Thunder Shields. Drain Shield's also ITE because fuck you. (All the goddess special physicals are.) One nice bonus is that while MP-killing Goddess, Drain Kiss gets less deadly, unfortunately she does periodically damage herself off counters which I can only get rid of in exchange for making Sabin notably worse. Oh, and Relic Ring doesn't stop Drain Kiss. I tried to make it relevant, I really did. If she focuses physicals on Sabin/Shadow they can die, not much I can do about that.

Overcast: MT death sentence is horrible enough and by itself justifies the use of a Memento Ring and Safety Bit. Worse still is the zombie-upon-death effect which persists forever. Oh and if you equip a Ribbon you become a perma-zombie if you die. (Something I have to relearn the hard way.) The non-death-protected person just needs to be revivified upon death, which sadly brings them back to trivial HP.

Charm: Fuck this move so much, if I get hit with it I have to kill the afflicted person myself before. Shadow is good at doing this with his targettable ITD/ITE throws. If Shadow is charmed it's really damn annoying and I kinda mostly hope Goddess will smack him around. Thank goodness dying into zombie state cancels charm (it doesn't cancel Rage, something else I learn the hard way).

Love Token: Mostly this just makes Umaro hilariously useless even before I decide to MP-kill the boss. Wow, never take him to this fight, she counters everything she does by making him take physical hits for her, which uh yeah means all he can do is a 25% chance of Storm against her stupid-high MDef. Umaro spends most of this fight dead, which is a shame because he's tanky enough to draw hits well but I can't justify reviving him constantly as he kills himself.

Megazerk: grahhh this merits status immunity, but no ribbon as per above! Peace Ring to the rescue. MT ITE Berserk is terrible. I can't protect everyone from it, and it's a pain to get rid of because I don't have Dispel, but fortunately the afflicted PC doesn't act against me while I kill him or wait for him to die (usually the latter).

Lullaby: Well no Ribbons means this will certainly hit, but compared to the above it's not too bad. Doesn't hit both sides at least, unlike the other MT status.

Yeah that's pretty much it. One useless PC, three PCs with non-super-stellar magic power, trying to Rasp away a magic tank's 19000 MP while all sorts of things can go wrong. I pull it off eventually. Once I do, I burn through the rest of her health which isn't bad without MP, seeing "Quasar: Need MP" is cathartic. Good thing I never have to deal with THAT again.

<Super> Having trouble with Quasar? You're fighting Poltergeist then?
<Elf> ffffffffff-

Poltergeist (5 resets): [Celes/Edgar/Setzer/Mog] Good news is I have a better team for this fight! Bad news is that Quasar is back, slightly stronger, and no longer a limit. WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO- *Dark Holy Elf is hit by half a dozen planes and explodes*

Okay. OKAY. I could learn Life 3 though trying to survive against Poltergeist's offence after everyone revives from that is messy (as a fast boss, Poltergeist is guaranteed the next turn after a revival of that sort). And anyway nobody has Life 3 yet. I consider grinding for it but then I die once more to Kefka's Tower randoms and decide I have too far to go... and anyway I remember a way around this: Celes' desperation attack Spin Edge, which does 40k MP damage, taking out all of Poltergeist's MP. I just have to use it before she uses Spin Edge. Great.

After some messing with the setup, I create a Celes who will mostly be safe at low HP. She naturally nulls Poltergeist's fire and wind spells, and I give her a stupid-high MBlock setup with Illumina and all that so only Psychrip is the real threat, and whatever, reviving someone brings them back to critical at least! The problem is dropping her into critical to start the battle, but fortunately W Wind is really accurate (or I'm lucky?). If W Wind misses, don't heal seizure and I can use it again, this time hitting nobody else since apparently it misses those suffering from seizure already, which does make mechanicaly sense. Fortunately desperations can't be used the first few rounds. Or not so fortunately.

My other tactic to buy myself some time is to cast Stop on my lowest-MBlock PC. Why? Because Poltergeist will waste a turn instantly killing anyone suffering from Stop. Ha HA! The other two PCs can revive and re-stop. Unfortunately Poltergeist is too fast for this to lock her down, not to mention my own Stop sometimes misses. So it's not perfect, but it helps. Once the Spin Edge lands, the fight... isn't trivial because of the last big trick I should mention. Anyway I should note that this is the only time in my hundreds of hours of playing FF6 that I have purposefully fished for a desperation attack. For the purpose of it being useful, I mean, instead of just to see one.

Anyway I haven't mentioned all of her damaging arsenal yet, but it is relevant. Psychrip is a nasty ITE physical, she has fire damage for days (with Minerva, Red Jacket, and two Flame Shields I'm in the clear, even halving it didn't really work), Aero (at least Celes nulls it), Bio, and Shrapnel. Shrapnel is the big problem here: it's non-elemental and very powerful. If used ST it OHKOs anyone it hits (doesn't usually hit Celes), if used MT it OHKOs anyone except Celes, or those in Shell. Shell/Safe of course are staples, and if someone gets Stopped/IDed or otherwise killed they get reapplied quickly. Once the MP kill is in place, Shrapnel and Psychrip remain threats, but the removal of a few other turns goes a long way and the fight isn't TOO bad.

Okay, let's talk final battle. After some thought I decide to go with a Celes/Terra/Gau/Mog team. It provides a good spell arsenal (Terra's a bit behind, but whatever she has Cure 3 and Life 2), two Minervas which greatly easy elemental damage, and two Snow Mufflers which null physicals. Gau's also my only source of Life 3 (besides Gogo). Edgar and Setzer are on standby but I really don't hope to use anyone else.

Setups are simple enough, aside from the armours, Terra/Celes rock Aegis Shield + Red Cap while Gau/Mog get Thunder Shield, Muscle Belt, and enough Def to hit 255. The HP boosters are explained later. Relics are mostly Earrings/Hero Rings and Gold Hairpins to speed things up, aside from the requisite Muscle Belts. Maybe I should have opted for more defensive gear (Pod Bracelet, Ribbon), I'm not certain.

First tier: Not too bad. Slow the part that can be slowed, and buff like mad. Haste, Regen, Safe, Shell, Rhinox rage for Life 3. The damage is pretty decent before the buffs are in place, but nothing that can't be managed. The problem moves are Reverse Polarity which pulls Terra/Celes to places they take real daamge (Row command immediately) and Dread which petrifies someone making me put all my buffs back in place again. Oh, and a nice thing about finishing each tier is it pulls me out of Rage/Dance (I also use Snowman Jazz to help speed the fight along once I'm comfortable I'm set up well, since Surge and Snowball are both great, and hey Ice Rabbit is MT full healing).

Second tier: This is where things get nasty. The punchy dude in the front isn't too bad, as my party tanks physicals pretty well. When it dies it launches 10 Hits, and in one of my attempts it would be better named 10 Misses. :D

The mage dude in the back can be silenced! Sadly this does NOT make him negligible, since he has a Stop-inflicting ITE physical of Sage's creation called Eternity (0:08 is how I feel if he decides to spam it) which is a colossal pain in the ass (stop can't be blocked), so I have to plan out my turns being down a PC or two pretty often). Oh yeah it hits hard, OHKOs Terra or Celes without Protect or comes very close. Fortunately it wastes a lot of turns on magic.

The woman in the centre fires off all sorts of Magitek nonsense, of which the nastiest are Launcher which leaves my party a critical-HP mess (not as bad as it sounds, but some magic can kill Gau/Mog and physicals kill Terra/Celes in this state), and Delta Attack, which is petrify, now in ITE mode! The rest is mostly elemental damage which looks pretty evil but yeah no I'm nulling/absorbing everything important except fire which two PCs half.

Finally there's the tiger. Blah blah fire damage who cares. He has two big problem moves, North Cross which freezes, and Doom Tusk which zombies (mercifully, both blockable). However, a status assault combo involving zombie, freeze, and stop is a big threat.

I never do lose but I come very very close once. Mostly just have to carefully manage all my turns and keep the buffs in place, and always keeping a turn handy to respond to Launcher. I should mention the mage picks up a new trick or two when low on health, he starts countering like mad and while MOST of what he uses is magic, there's also Imp Song (MT imp, waste all my time with green cherry nonsense) and Cold Dust (freeze, burn it with fire). Oh and when he dies his death counter isn't affected by silence, and it dispels. Just more buffs to set up again in phase 3, since I leave him until last.

Third tier (1 reset): Two parts here. The first is a healer who heals so damn well I can't really outpace what she does (in no small parts because she absorbs all elements, so Celes' Flare is about the only thing I have which reliably and consistently does good damage). She also uses ITE sleep physical which is pretty damaging against front-row Terra/Celes but otherwise not too bad. Oh and if you kill the other part first she full-revives her buddy. Ha-HA!

The damage-dealer of the fight is of course the real problem. Meteor as usual is the demonspawn move, and it does 1500 MT. My first reset occurs because this could KO some people in one shot, so I came back with the HP-boosting gear above. Keeping everyone topped up is important so this doesn't kill. The rest of his skillset includes W Wind, which also merits a massive burst of healing and an Antidote spell, Merton which was brutal even halved until I made sure everyone could null it (Minerva, Thunder Shield). He can Reverse Polarity and chain it with physicals which of course is nasty. He's also got a bunch of status: he'll use his immunity-ignoring ID special Calmness on occasion, as well as MT confuse, mercifully not too accurate so I just have to hope for the best there (fortunately my actions aren't the type which backfire horribly if I get confused). His scariest move is Condemned, which if he casts it MT is a brutal Overcast-style effect which I can get around by letting people die early and reviving them. Fortunately MT Condemned is rare.

So it's a fight which requires me to stay awake during it, and constantly clearing off status. Once the right equipment is on place, though, it's not TOO bad.

Unfortunately blitzing the fight isn't really going to work, since once his HP falls below a certain threshold, he gains Meteo (inaccurate MT OHKO) both at will and as a counter. Even one Meteo could wipe me out; seeing two back-to-back due to a counter would bring the odds unacceptably high. So Rasp it is! Fortunately his MDef isn't silly high like Goddess' was and he "only" has 10000, and once that's gone he's a joke outside the odd Calmness. I do indeed see two Meteos back to back while killing him!

It turns out, though, that I need to MP-kill the healer as well, as I can't outpace her Pearl Wind spam. Fortunately she, as the attacker before her, likes to burn through her own MP which helps a bit, and again the amount to burn through is manageable, but yeah it means this fight still takes a long time. Kill the caster first so that I don't see Calmness knocking people out before Kefka.

Kefka (1 reset): So at low HP, Kefka gets a whole bunch of crazy things which I'd rather not deal with: Meteor, Quake, Goner, and Ultima (though the latter is at least only a counter) all of which costs MP. I figure the safest way to approach this is to kill Kefka's MP too, because what the hell this fight isn't THAT long yet is it? (kill me) Anyway this means just dealing with Kefka's high-HP phase which isn't too bad. The elemental spells and Aero are useless except Fire 3 which isn't too scary, Bio is easy enough to heal and Antidote away, Fallen One requires some big healing Doom and Havoc Wing sometimes claim OHKOs but whatever, no big, revive and move on. Actually this is remarkably straightforward. Unfortunately his MP is 39000 so it's a long, long slog, which I get increasingly impatient with.

Once that's done I start to work on chewing through Kefka's HP. He gains HyperDrive counters but whatever, revive and move on. He gains Revenger which dispels everyone but whatever, who needs buffs. I get to see delightful messages such as "Quake - Need MP" and then he charges Goner. I give no shits. The charge resolves, and... the spell actually goes off, KOing everyone except Gau who was raging in brainless damage mode. Gau dies not too long after.

SIGH.

My fault for being cocky I suppose, but the Eviltype docs note the change to Goner's damage formula but make no mention of its changed MP cost! The insulting thing is that with Shell and/or Morph I could have tanked it but had gotten lazy with reapplying buffs since I figured I had the fight wrapped up and really didn't want to drag out the already incredibly long fight further. I don't really want to redo everything to get back to this point, so maybe I'll hack the tiers down to 1 HP and Kefka to 0 MP and redo the fight from that point again, since whatever I've already proven I can deal with them. Bending the rules a bit but if I can't really justify spending all the time again (about two hours) to get to the same point.

Regardless, one way or another the challenge is almost over. Hooray~

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: August 30, 2014, 02:48:31 AM »
FE 13- Beat this a while back. Definitely my favorite FE. Well balanced for grinding+actually giving you a reason to grind was nice. Hard mode no permadeath (which also was a very big boon. Helped balance not having save states very well). Certainly my favorite FE by lightyears. Probably 7/10 (and in playing this, I kind of want to move all other FE games down at least 1 or 2). I got 6-7 children (Cynthia, Inigo, Kjelle, Wyvern Knight Rider, the Taguel off the top of my head. I'm sure there was at least 1 other though), most of which were just beastly when leveled (Cynthia especially when compared to Sumia).

Child of Light- Second playthrough. Up to the point where I'll be getting temp stats. Sitting a lot closer to the TV this time as the game loses some details from faraway. Much prettier when I'm closer.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: August 30, 2014, 07:29:19 AM »
FF6 Eviltype: Annnd done.

Kefka was pretty damn legit even without MP which is uh telling how well I would have handled it if I didn't get to breathe a sigh of relief whenever he used a turn on Ultima (which is uh not just a counter, yikes, well I guess it's just an improved Meteor due to eviltype Ultima nerf), Flare, Pearl, or Quake. He's pretty much reduced to Havoc Wing (KOs Terra/Celes, sometimes used after other actions except Goner), Revenger (dispels everyone), Train (silences everyone), and Goner. With the setups I used Goner would KO Terra/Celes even in Shell (but not Terra in Morph), and would KO Gau/Mog unless they were in Shell. So I eventually settled into a battle plan of removing silence ASAP in response to Train, reviving in response to Havoc Wing, ensuring Gau/Mog were always Shelled and that Terra had a turn ready if I thought Goner was about to be charged. If he charges Goner, Morph and Fire 3, then as soon as the attack ends, revive Celes and have Terra revert and heal everyone up (sometimes tossing in a Cure 2 if needed, I neglect this and Mog dies to one of the Goners which is terrible, I blow my Phoenix on this error which fortunately was equipped on Gau). I do have Palidor to dodge one of them. Without Dance/Rage Celes' Flare is my biggest source of damage (though it occasionally misses), along with the morphed Fire 3's. I don't attack with the others much late in the fight to keep their turns handy and to trigger fewer counters: the counters aren't THAT bad (HyperDrive OHKO 1/3 of the time, physical 2HKOs but this only matters against Terra) but meh no need to risk everything on Meteor/L2 spells (Gau and Mog's best spell damage since Quake is blocked and neither have L3s/Flare/Pearl). If I'd left my Force Shields unequipped (and thus able to be re-equipped midfight) this would have been notably easier since they would have given Terra/Celes the MDef push to survive Goner, probably, plus undispellable Shell! Everyone was around 170-180 MDef which resulted in Goner doing 2300-2600 before Shell (1550-1750 after).

No resets on him besides the one already detailed above.

Whew, it's done! Not sure where this ranks among RPG challenges I've done, pretty high though for sure (if not PS4 LLG level terrifying). Final levels were around 27. This isn't THAT much lower than I'm used to but FF6 levels are relatively important (if not, like, original TO level or anything) and Eviltype doesn't fuck around much to start with. At first it didn't seem like the challenge would be that bad (Ultros 1 aside, he's always a douche) but as the WoR went on it pretty much got worse and worse. Red Dragon, Atma, Goddess, Poltergeist, and the final battle were all brutal, brutal fights.

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: August 30, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »
Dark Souls - Up to Bell Gargoyles.  I am fucking bored as shit of this run up.  I can kill one of them before the second one comes sometimes.  As long as it doesn't do one of many things that will stun me or hurt me over my shield or just breath fire fucking everywhere.  If there is two it is GG.

Joined The Club +5 to handle it.

Bored bored bored bored bored.  Punitive run ups is the worst punishment when you die in 2 or 3 seconds.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: August 30, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »
Gold pine resin wrecks their day pretty handily if you still have any.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: August 30, 2014, 07:20:31 PM »
BD: Chapter 7.  Oh look, more refights! I think I'm addicted...

*Goes to beat Ominas Crowe, gets something completely unexpected*

...ok, this is defintiely worth it for challenge purposes.  Also hey, seems to give a lot of really good gear.  Just wish 2 of my PCs didn't die on the last turn and I was spamming healing or something, ah well.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: August 30, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »
I still have 3, but using it when I still sometimes die in a few seconds seems like the not smartest decision.

I have nearly won a few times but die to breath attack, breath attack and ooooooh another breath attack.  Y U NO DODGE!?!?!?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: August 30, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »
Try not locking on, so you can see both gargoyles at once.
There's always one gargoyle which is fire breathing, which is a good thing since you can get away from it fairly easy and focus on the other gargoyle or heal.
Don't be afraid to use consumables since this is the best place to use them.
Upgrade max HP
You can also get human and summon solaire right before the boss room

Or restart as a mage and nuke
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:39:15 PM by Fenrir »

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: August 30, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »
It'll be hilarious to you how much easier that fight is on repeat plays.  I generally just run up to the gargoyle, roll through attacks, then smash them with something, but there are various approaches.

The Reinforced Club might be a better option here since it can inflict Bleed.  Clubs are good for most of the game in either case.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: August 31, 2014, 12:03:00 AM »
Two tries and I beat it this morning.  The key elements were being less tired so being able to easily recognise that they will just Dodge R2 club swing by flying up and their flying attacks are punishes, thinking about the fact that it was HP based trigger for the second summon, so moving out into the middle of the roof (it goes further along than I thought) before unloading on the first one and when when fighting the second one finding that a double roll to the right dodges the fire breath and lets me punish with R2-Club2 face.  Still not super comfy on ability to get Tail weapon if I gave a shit, but yes.  Fight easy when you know how to dodge.  Problem is long run up, massive spikey damage, no time to learn to dodge.

So many wipes did give me Gargoyle Hat, Shield and Halberd though so woot lewts.

Also because I was mad I forgot to cheer about getting the fully sick Pig Hat.  Because the Gargoyles spit hot fire I opted to go back to my Tattered Cloth Manchette (totes a porn name) and Pals instead of rocking Pig Hat and some boots.  Pig hat is pretty fucking metal though.  Glad I got that drop.

Edit - Also torn on if I want to try to fight Capra Demon properly or just throw shit over his wall.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:17:31 AM by Grefter »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: August 31, 2014, 01:22:30 AM »
...Wait, can you seriously do that?

EDIT: also the Fenrir advice to disengage lock-on is sound. You get so used to using it that sometimes you forget that you can get away from AoE attacks just slightly faster when you're moving in a straight line rather than circling around someone.

DS2: Oh hey Fume Knight's actually not just some plotless roadblock after all. I guess that squarely sets the DLC zones as existing contemporaneously instead of being crazy past realities or something (I guess I just assumed that because AotA). For proper irony, go into the fight with the Rebel's Greatshield equipped. For OH MY GOD OH MY GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING go in wearing Velstadt's set.

Someone without the DLC was eager enough for Sir Alonne's armor set (storebought after you beat him) to trade me the entire Shadow set for it. Aw yiss, finally a proper pugilist mummy now.

Also this DLC adds extra red phantoms in NG++ (vs. NG+). And since the zone's related to the Iron Keep, you can guess what the worst ones are. Whyyyyy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:27:37 AM by El Cideon »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: August 31, 2014, 05:28:41 AM »
Now to talk about things besides Eviltype, specifically things returning.

Lightning Returns: Finally started playing this. It's interesting, not sure what exactly I think of it despite having sunk a decent number of hours into it now (17?). Its premise and setting are pretty interesting, quite reminiscent of Valkyrie Profile. Is the writing good enough to make good on the setup? No, not really, although I will give it credit for having a more coherent story than 13-2, and Lumina is more enjoyable than any of 13-2's new characters (though topping uh Noel is not much of a feat for me). Its main story does threaten to be interesting but it's constantly derailed by the deluge of sidequests of which approximately one so far (Bhakti) got more than a "meh" out of me.

Gameplaywise it is probably the weakest of the trilogy just because I don't think solo RPGs are where the genre shines. Still it's pretty solid for a solo RPG, FF13 battle system mixed with some timed defence and management of three ATB gauges, there is definitely some thought/strategy in fighting the most efficient way to fight things. The game's take on resource management is an interesting one, fighting things gives you more EP which essentially translates to more time so you fight things not for Exp (which you don't get at all) or money/items (which matter some but are secondary) but for time instead, and then you use that time to finish quest objectives which give you your Exp. It's novel enough to be engaging, though no idea what I ultimately think about such a system. On the note of the time limit: I like the time limit, I don't really like when the game makes you essentially treasure hunt blindly in said time limit, way to just reward FAQing. There's only been one really egregious case of this so far (hunting for the code in Luxerion), sadly it came quite early, though fortunately it was mitigated somewhat by there being other stuff to do simultaneously and you essentially having 18 hours to do it in.

It's keeping my attention more than I feared but less than I hoped, considering my two closest friends out of those who have played the game have ridiculously disparate opinions on the game. <_< Clearly it's not going to measure up to the original to me. It's too early to weigh in on it vs. 13-2 though my respect for the game is higher because at least it isn't completely coasting on "hey the game before this had an awesome battle system, have some more" (for all that said approach may still prove more fun in the end).

Donkey Kong Country Returns - I have less to say about this. It's a platformer. I haven't played DKC since like the 90's when I played all of 1 and some of 2. I find it interesting that this game upped the challenge rather ridiculously (despite doubling your hit-taking ability) compared to those, especially those "-K" bonus levels, man what the hell the two I've done are ridiculously rude. That's probably the most notable thing about the game. It's at its best when it's throwing all sorts of nastiness at you and hoping you don't notice that the way Donkey Kong plays is very limited that its stage design is a bit scattershot. I'm enjoying it but am not really in love with it either, so far? Elf positing ambivalent opinions about games part 2. (On the good side of ambivalent, at least.)

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: August 31, 2014, 07:02:43 AM »
Magic the Gathering - played 3 player EDH with my brothers.  UB mill deck for me (not much of a winning deck honestly, but annoying and okay at Kingmaking, which is better than winning right?), BG deck that just raises strong cards  for my older brother(probably should be a dredge deck but none of us are good enough to play or make one), younger brother plays a RG beat down deck that he always plays that is simple and doesn't push new keywords or complex cards much.  He thinks he is worse at Magic than he is and is super attached to the way the game was circa 4th edition.

Was a long game with lots of stalling.  Younger brother could have won earlier if he was more aggressive, older brother won about 3 turns after I think he had win on the board.  I was killed by my older brother swinging his 7/7 Jarad at me, me choosing to eat it to the face (still at 31 life).  Younger brother Bloodlusts and then uses some Red instant to give Jarad double strike.  Kills me with Commander damage.

He has no idea of the specifics of rules in EDH.  Pretty good play entirely by accident.