Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183549 times)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #1925 on: August 09, 2014, 07:07:15 PM »
Guacamelee: This game was a lot of fun. Dark Souls's exploration had me itching for a Metroidvania and this fit the bill. The combat system was really fun, and I enjoyed hard mode quite fun up until the final dungeon, where it got so hard it stopped being fun.

Dark Souls: Finished playthrough 2 with pyromancer, probably gonna remake because now I am too high level to PVP with anyone except other highlevels and specialization drops off a looooooot at the place I'm at. Started two new playthroughs, Welcome to the Club!! starring James Murphy, and a Sorcerer run. It's amazing how Sorc and Pyro are almost exact opposites in what is difficult and what is easy.  Almost everything that was a cakewalk as a Pyro has caused multiple resets (Iron Giant aside), while some things that caused resets were stupid easy.  Club is club. I like clubs.  But only if they're giant.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: August 09, 2014, 08:26:52 PM »
Captain K, have you tried out Star-Lord yet?  I'm only like level 25 and he's really goddamn fun so far.

Not yet, mainly Pimping my Reed (hur hur).  Prestiged him once, will probably do it again this weekend for pretty blue name.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: August 09, 2014, 09:02:04 PM »
FFT: How have I never gone the punching ninja route before? Because seriously, knocked out final Wiegraf in one punch, pugilism souls strikes again. Probably could've taken out Velius before he moved because Ramza inexplicably got two turns immediately upon starting the second phase of the fight, but...I didn't notice he was going to get two consecutive turns (how does that even happen) and instead had him run to a corner because he had 20 HP left and I forgot to give him Chakra. So instead someone else had to do it, it's all thanks to DanceNinja.

Latter also unexpectedly outspeeds the assassins so uh so much for the rooftop battle. Ninjas!

I am almost entirely ignoring optimal armor HP/MP boosts in favor of sticking with outdated stuff that just happens to boost speed/PA/MA this time. Not really my usual playstyle in RPGs, I avoid unnecessary risks and gambles basically all the time, but maybe after too much Souls games I just prioritize murdering things faster over all other concerns now. Although this is perhaps proving less than ideal as enemies start to learn what OHKO damage is. Or like when the game fucks over auto-potion reliance by giving me a hi-potion for Riovanes 1. Yeah thanks for that it's not like I bought 99 x-potions and dumped everything else for a reason.

FFT auto-equip why do you like Feather Boots so much.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:03:46 PM by El Cideon »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1928 on: August 09, 2014, 09:20:03 PM »
Captain K, have you tried out Star-Lord yet?  I'm only like level 25 and he's really goddamn fun so far.

Not yet, mainly Pimping my Reed (hur hur).  Prestiged him once, will probably do it again this weekend for pretty blue name.

It wouldn't be that hard, seeing as they turned everything up serverside for this week.  I gobbled down all the boosts I had gotten from promos lately and I'm up to level 40 in one day.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: August 09, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »
Ciddy: Bare fists ninjas of doom inflict horrifying amounts of damage. You are doing the correct thing by keeping them with twist headbands/power sleeves. You'll probably want to give them thief hats, otherwise don't bother changing their gear. Enjoy the smash.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: August 09, 2014, 10:16:30 PM »
Probably could've taken out Velius before he moved because Ramza inexplicably got two turns immediately upon starting the second phase of the fight, but...I didn't notice he was going to get two consecutive turns (how does that even happen)

Short answer: Ramza usually starts the Velius leg of the fight at 100 CT, meaning it's quite easy for him to get two actions in a row if he has comparable/better speed than Velius.

Long, technical answer which most people probably won't care about: Any battle which transitions from one stage to another (this one, Dycedarg, and Altima) will transition only at certain points. If the action which ends the first stage (e.g. killing Wiegraf) occurs in the middle of a character's turn (i.e. after he acts, if he still has a move left), then the transition occurs immediately. If, as is more common, the character's turn is ended by that action, then the transition occurs at the start of the next turn anyone on the battlefield gets. In the case of the Wiegraf duel, that will be either Wiegraf himself (if he was reduced to critical HP and is still able to get turns*) or Ramza. In your case the transition occured at the start of Ramza's next turn, meaning that he is at 100+ CT, ready to get a turn when the game brings in Velius, the demons, and all your allies (who all start at 0 CT).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: August 10, 2014, 03:10:19 AM »
Wiegraf was actually knocked to critical rather than properly KO'd (he dodged Ramza's first punch) and after I'd moved (had to to get into melee, because his first turn was Lightning Stab). So I dunno man.

Anyway Zalera didn't get to act. Doubleninjateamed trying to cast a spell. Huge shock. Elmdor was way more trouble! (Stupid sexy Blade Grasp.) Crit HP Agrias as the lone survivor broke out of Stop at the last possible moment to Lightning Stab his ass. And despite the assassins being bizarrely Ultima-happy, and Ramza getting hit with it, I didn't get the spell (not that I'd use it anyway). I guess he has to survive the fight? He survived the spell but then got Muramasa'd or something.

Now it's time to train up Melly and Reis even though it's completely pointless! Beo/Reis specials are MA-driven, right? You know, after not playing the game for quite a few years, it's really striking to see how poorly I'd optimized offense previously. I don't think I'd ever bothered to look up how the game calculates goddamn anything.

At one point I ran into the Bariaus Hill rare encounter and it was 100% oh my gahhhh. (I'd brought the B-team for the JPs not having any idea what I was in for. It went poorly.) Now I'm totally paranoid walking back and forth through there for all the special character crap in Goug.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1932 on: August 10, 2014, 04:35:03 AM »
Now it's time to train up Melly and Reis even though it's completely pointless! Beo/Reis specials are MA-driven, right? You know, after not playing the game for quite a few years, it's really striking to see how poorly I'd optimized offense previously. I don't think I'd ever bothered to look up how the game calculates goddamn anything.

To be fair, it's not like it's WoW where they straight up lay the damage formulae in front of you.  That they don't expect you to do that after not providing the information to do so up front is very reasonable of them.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: August 10, 2014, 04:43:00 AM »
Wiegraf was actually knocked to critical rather than properly KO'd (he dodged Ramza's first punch) and after I'd moved (had to to get into melee, because his first turn was Lightning Stab). So I dunno man.

If you were the same speed (8) then you'd both have gotten your next turns on the same clocktick, ensuring Ramza would be at 100 for the transition point.

Beowulf's status hit rates depend slightly on MA but it really doesn't matter (1 MA = like half a % of spell accuracy), you're better off trying to raise his faith if you want to optimise him (otherwise focus on other stats, speed and/or durability etc.). Reis' breaths are based off magic, yes.

Maybe.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: August 10, 2014, 05:05:23 AM »

To be fair, it's not like it's WoW where they straight up lay the damage formulae in front of you.  That they don't expect you to do that after not providing the information to do so up front is very reasonable of them.

It's true, the game really falls apart when you know how everything works, to such extent that they clearly didn't expect you to. I dunno if I can play it again after this because it's just not as satisfying to utterly humiliate the game (this goes for most games, really). I found it quite challenging the first time through!

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: August 10, 2014, 05:29:51 AM »
After playing Binding of Isaac I'm convinced it could only have been made by utterly deranged minds for utterly deranged minds. It sold like 2 million copies?

Yeah,  but BoI is a solid zelda-ish roguelike under the scatological surface.  It's the kind of game where you play it a hundred times and don't even notice the skin anymore; "Isaac" and "Satan" don't register to me any more than "@" and "h" do.  Actually h and H are way more scary than anything in BoI to me.

Gods Will Be Watching, on the other hand, is 100% about the skin, there really isn't any gameplay beneath it.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: August 10, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
Wild ARMS ACF - Did more practice this afternoon with some minor tweaks to the route. Just need to do more practice.

Wild ARMS 4 - Learned 3 new skips, one of which is really tricky. Gonna aim for sub 5:10 the next run attempt I do. Then maybe a full record for SDA. Kinda amazing how the new tech I learned since joining SRL IRC has improved my time to the point that the 5:04 doesn't look that great anymore. Theoretically, 4:50 is definitely possible.

Persona 4 Golden - Working to get a file for DL data testing. Turned on EXP boost and Money Boost. I'm at level 51 already before Mitsuo. Halp.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: August 10, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »
OMD1- Been watching Glen clear this on warmage. It's always great when someone gets to Hard climb!  Dialog's still hilarious and it's fun to watch setups of doom being unleashed upon the poor orcs.

Kid Icarus Uprising- Played the first three chapters of this. The game's pretty, the dialog's sharp and the music's fantastic. I see why people like it! Just I'm not enjoying the gameplay at all. I'm a leftie who doesn't use the stylus whenever possible so so you can imagine the frustration. Went with the alternate control setup which is at least playable. Specifically, this game really needs a mouse, trying to aim with the XYAB buttons is a step down. Donno how much of this I'll play.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: August 10, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »
That's pretty fair. I enjoy the stylus controls myself but they're not for everyone and I'm not sure how well the other schemes work in practice. If you do give up on playing it, I definitely recommend checking out a video playthrough of it just so you can see the rest of the writing (and music), which only gets better once the other major characters are introduced midgame. You can also drop the intensity to 0 at which point the game all but beats itself if you'd prefer.

FF6 Eviltype - At this point I have Gau, Relm, Strago, and Gogo in addition to the initial four PCs, so I can actually take a run at the Phoenix Cave and get my hands on what is probably the best Esper in the game. But I figure I need more good equipment before I do this (unless I feel like constantly shuffling equipment between teams. I don't.), so... Mt. Zozo it is! Not much to say about the randoms, they're balanced for being done as the first thing post-Falcon probably and I have no major difficulties. I grab the three shiny shields, the Red Cap, and the Force Arm- ohshit

Storm Dragon (1 reset) - The big problem here is Rage, which is gross MT non-elemental ITE damage, OHKOing my lower-MDef PCs. Shell to the rescue! Slowing him and getting the entire team in Shell helps a lot. He can OHKO people with Wing Saber, but I get very lucky in dodging it. Cyclonic mostly proves that I need Cure 3, since it takes three castings of Cure 2 to fully heal it (Rage hits that hard, I care about getting back to full). Not too bad past that, although he has a lot of HP to cut through.

Phoenix Cave - I actually don't have any resets in the randoms here, but they're nasty and I have to run away several times. Trixters are particular pests in their reflective, status-resistant ways, Necromancers are extremely dangerous but can be revived, Chaos Dragons use an evil Disaster but can be controlled by Stop. The common enemies of the lower floors aren't as bad but they do hit hard so take nothing for granted. Relm uses Control, otherwise I mainly fish for status holes where possible, gravity/damage where not of course. Still, whatever things I could say about the randoms, they're nothing compared to...

Red Dragon (4 resets) - Celes/Strago/Gau/Gogo is my party here. Possibly the hardest boss in this playthrough so far, there is so much that can go wrong with this fight even IF you block fire on most people. The first big problem is Meteo, which easily OHKOs anyone it hits. Its accuracy is mediocre, but it still usually kills 1 or 2 people, and that's with me prioritising MBlock a fair bit on my setup. The second problem is that some of his other magic damage is also brutal, with Flare in particular OHKOing who it hits and Southern Cross being brutal to anyone who doesn't null fire. These can be solved by maintaining a Runic shield, so I do so. That leaves Level 3 Flare, which sadly does down one of my PCs, and Eraser, his ITE physical which OHKOs the people with lower defence (MBlock twinking ensures they exist) and makes me heal (after a revival from Meteor) the others. But after a couple resets, I'm able to manage all this.

Unfortunately, below half HP, things get serious, and he summons four Vectaurs. They have 10k HP and are status immune, I can't blitz them quickly and they have solidly 2HKOing physicals which they spam until I die (as well as some low-level fire magic which isn't too scary but absorbs Runic so that I get hit with Flare, Red Dragon's favourite spell). I die once to this, horribly. The second time I summon Fenrir to absorb their initial barrage, and also come up with a way to blitz them quickly: a Tritoch summon followed by a Mimic, which does insane weakness-hitting damage to the Vectaurs letting me kill them off in two actions. Which, I then learn, causes him to instantly summon more. I die horribly. Finally, I settle for one Fenrir, one twinked Tritoch, one MT Ice 2, and a barrage of ST Ice 2's/Bum Rush/similar damage to KO three of the Vectaurs before they can overwhelm my image status. I rasp the survivor (they don't have much MP) then continue the fight as before, just with added damage from the Vectaur, although slowing him helps. At one point Red Dragon buffs himself like crazy but fortunately I do have Dispel learned, and I learn Big Guard from this! Anyway, past that and needing to revive periodically from Meteo/L3 Flare/Eraser, juggling actions as always... not too bad.

Cave to the Ancient Castle - I learn CleanSweep from Enuos and Magnitude8 from Goblins. Randoms are annoying with all their anti-magic tricks but by and large gravity still works, so that + pick them off.

Master Pug (1 reset) - Step Mine counters OHKO, but he doesn't have much MP so I rasp that away but before I do Quake KOs my entire team. TRY AGAIN WITH FLOAT. Same strategy, I'm a bit worried because of course Step Mine removes Float as it kills me, but once his MP is gone he's a chump.

KatanaSoul (1 reset) - What a difference elemental resistance makes! First time I get three people OHKOed by his opening Air Blade. Next time... Minerva, Thunder Shield, and two Force Shields put me in a much better position to recover. Then I learn he is vulnerable to Dischord. WELL THEN. (This is especially good because his GP Rain does about 900 MT damage, not far from unblockable OHKO, although I think I could have won without Dischord? Still, it helped a lot.)

Blue Dragon - After how badly Red Dragon slapped me around this guy is pretty simple. I mean, insanely so, he's vulnerable to Level 5 Death. Still, he doesn't seem too bad anyway, so I dick around and steal from him, then he casts Quick and the resulting action puts me in a bad position I have to scramble to recover from. I do so, get everyone revived, and kill him off.

I decide to keep Odin over Raiden. Meteor!

At this point, with the Offering, I take a run at getting Snow Mufflers. One more Veldt trip gives me two more Behemoth Suits (and a few more shiny rages, such as Goblin and Tyranosaur). I recruit Shadow, then promptly hand him the Assassin+Striker 8-hit combo and try to instant death Outsiders for my Snow Mufflers. RNG is with me two times out of three. I also get a couple Pearl Lances since I don't intend to use Cyan, Mog's 255 defence setup means poor Aquila has no chance.

I also get Terra at this point. My average level hit 24 so I figure now's as good a time as any, I won't hit average level 25 until I do the final dungeon most likely. That just leaves Umaro...

Dirt Dragon - Time for some revenge! And revenge I get. Offering Fixed Dice let me carve into him pretty quickly, so I focus on other PCs healing/buffing while Setzer does the damage. Then Dirt Dragon knocks him into critical with Quartr right before he attacks and... he uses Red Card, charming him. HAHAHA. Actually this isn't -that- big a deal because the thing I am actually worried about is his death counter, which I still see. But I'm ready for it this time. With Gau raging Rhinox for Life 3, and summons of Fenrir+Starlet right before I kill him, I'm able to easily tank the death counter... in fact I get lucky and everyone lives! Also, him hitting himself with Honed Tusk for 9999 is hilarious.

At this point I remember that with Locke I can get Ragnarok, so I do. I opt for the sword just to not have to work on another 1x learn rate with my encounter limitations, and head to the colloseum to turn it into Illumina. With fire immunity and reflect there's not much Didalos can do to Gogo, who I just have set up with Blitz to Bum Rush as quickly as possible, hopefully.

Next up is recruiting Umaro and getting Terrato.

Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: August 10, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »
Okay Alex, really good point.
I'll grab this thing when it goes on sale too...

Rogue Legacy: Got the platinum. Finishing under 15 deaths wasn't hard (I actually did it on my second try) It just took a long time since I made sure to go through the whole castle with every character to farm for gold, equipment and runes. I'm not very good at fighting the final boss so I prefered to just get uber stats instead.
All my money went towards unlocking the ninja (Who edals very high damage) then health and attack only.
After 5 or so characters I had a ton of vampire (HP drain) runes and equipment, and could survive the hardest parts of the castle without much trouble (I would go back to the beginner area and fought a few monsters there if I ran low on HPs) All of this gave me a ton of blessing runes (lowers the level of enemies, and lowers rewards) Final boss was pathetic with three blessing runes on.

The new bosses you have to fight with fixed characters were insane though. (Except the slime) I found a glitch that made me only fight one Brohannes at once and I had no remorse abusing it after the pure hell that were Neo Khidr, Alexander IV and Ponce de Freon. (I had to fight each one more than 100 times, I swear)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: August 12, 2014, 08:47:56 AM »
Donkey Kong Country Returns - Finished! Holy crap this game is hard. Not sure why you randomly turn Donkey Kong of all things into some ridiculous platforming deathfest.

Most of the worlds have at least one or two really tough stages, but World 8 has like four. I did notice that the skip on World 8 has you do the same numbers of stages but the skip one is sooooo much easier than the other one. I ended up having to stockpile tons of lives from Cranky as well as the Heart Booster. The final boss is a giant douche. Also, holy shit, the World 8 really decided to steal the Mario motif of lava, including a time-honored tradition of lava chases.

Incidentally, I love Cranky Kong. New Smash character perhaps?

I decided not to collect all the KONG letters. I had enough trouble with World 8 without trying that. :/
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: August 13, 2014, 02:00:21 PM »
Bravely Default: Earth Temple is started.  If I say anything else...it will be meaningless, because really, that line says everything doesn't it?

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Beat World 2.  This game is more of what Ciato said for DKCR,

Wind Waker HD: Beaten, I'll make a bigger rant about it later, just not in the mood to do it right now.  I can say, however, it is easily the best 3D Zelda title I've played (and based on LPs, seems a fair bit better than TP and SS), as well as I can tell why many weren't too fond of the original; the improvements have that much of an impact.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: August 14, 2014, 01:27:45 AM »
Xenoblade Chronicles - Finished Melia's dungeon and beat the boss. Now doing a couple quests to be able to buy scrolls and sadly I can't sell Reyn into sex slavery. I've been rotating between Reyn, Shulk, Sharla, and Melia as PCs (and anticipating Seven's joining).
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: August 14, 2014, 02:01:28 AM »
AAI2 - Up to the fourth case. Enjoying this, unshockingly. The translation's not up to AA's high standards in terms of humour/cultural relevance but it is competent and far, far better than nothing. The game does a pretty good job with cast size; there are still a good number of cameos, but lots of new folks too, and they're balanced well. Sebastian is too stupid to live; hopefully Courtney actually has a good reason for propping him up. All the cases are a bit odd in one way or another but that isn't necessarily a bad thing... but the cases are interwoven enough that I'll probably have a lot more to say about their subjective quality when I'm done.

FF6 Eviltype: Narshe and random other stuff before the final dungeon.

Ice Dragon - Ice and physicals, which means Snow Mufflers largely take care of things. Or do they? As his forms fall he gets rather vicious and kills off everyone but the people who are auto-acting, and his repeated healing means that I can't overwhelm him... until finally Poison Frog kicks in off Dusk Requiem (which I had mostly used to fish for gravity vulnerability) and I win.

Umaro's Cave - Largely easy.
Pugs - Knife is shockingly unscary, I'm unable to avoid seeing three of them but physical spoiling handles it. They also relentless counter with Pearl... but can be silenced.
Pug - I actually have more trouble with this jerk. Step Mine counter to everything (OHKO), and uses it a lot on his own turn, plus good immunities means I can't really overwhelm him! Eventually am able to get in the actions I need though.
Umaro - Easy. The second boss to die of poison while mid-jump this playthrough.

Doom Gaze - I choose a party of people who AREN'T Level 25 and start cutting into him. Not much to say, ice and death protection good, fire and holy damage good, cursing when he runs away... isn't good, but it happens anyway.

Cyan's Soul - 1 reset to L? Pearl against a solo PC it hits, screw that. Once I recruit the others though the randoms here aren't too bad, that start is always kinda dicey.
Dream Stooges - Ugh this takes forever since they apply slow a lot and I wasn't blocking it, and somehow don't have anyone with Haste 2 on the team I bring here. Ugh. Delta Attack however is their own really scary move since I equip lots of elemental defence for the fight. Curley's healing is nasty but Rasp to the rescue, along with Dispel to remove Rasp. Just yeah, fuck slow. Fight becomes much easier once one of them dies of course.
Train/castle sections - Not much to say here, the usual fishing for status holes etc.
Wrexsoul - I drop my MBlock and make sure nobody is blocking petrify, because Break is my favourite way to get him to reveal himself. Once he does, hit him with all the ice or ITD damage I can muster. His offence again is largely dealt with via lots of elemental defence.

Fanatics' Tower - I don't do the whole dungeon, but I figure I do want to go after White Dragon so I can get Crusader, and hey there's some useful gear here I suppose. The randoms are legitimate enough, particularly L70 Magics who have reflect and are really tanky until I find their status weakness.
White Dragon (1 reset) - Scar Beam + Pearl doublecast really hurts as Pearl can OHKO most and Scar Beam picks off people I try to revive... yeah that's a bad combo as soon as my one PC with Life 2 drops, the fight's basically over. So I change my team, go grab a Titanium from a TumbleWeed and bet it at the colosseum for a Cat Hood (Doom Dragon can't deal with Flame Shield + Snow Muffler for maxed def), and come back with a setup which includes the only three holy-halving equips in the game (besides Paladin Shield) and crazy MDef twinking (Force Shields!), Auto-Shell on everyone (Pod Bracelet, Graedus, Force Shield)... and now Scar Beam + Pearl can't kill anyone! ... though it comes kinda close. Anyway, slow him, battle becomes kinda rote now...
White Dragon phase 2 - Or so I think. Below half HP he starts healing with Pearl Wind and using Big Guard. Yes yes dispel Big Guard... which also gets rid of slow, argh. And I promptly have terrible luck reapplying it because he has lots of MBlock. Anyway my damage isn't wonderful here as he has pretty good MDef and my only ITD spells are Meteor and Quake (and only on one PC each), but between those and Fire 3 I'm able to finally start punching through his limit healing/buffing I think... then he uses WallChange. I scan him and he absorbs water (one of two elements I don't have access to via magic). Anyway the healing still exists so yeah this is hopeless, and I can't get him to use WallChange again. So I drain his MP, cursing his MDef/MBlock all the while, until finally that's gone (having to watch out for Scar Beam/Pearl as always, as I do it). Once it's done... well, I've won, but have to settle for berserking my Illumina and Trident users (the water elemental spear, yes). It works eventually. That took too long.

Moogle Charm the way down because no not redoing that fight thanks!

So yeah, not bothering with MagiMaster or GrandTrain I think, I've done everything else and am ready for the final dungeon, using everyone but Locke/Cyan. I restock on everything, buy enough Bard's Hats and Earrings so I can equip an entire team of 12, and yeah, ready to finish this over the next day or two. I'm sure Kefka will be super-easy guys.

Maybe.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: August 14, 2014, 02:21:13 AM »
The extra fixed dice and AP from Hidon would be nice at least!
-------------------

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: August 14, 2014, 05:42:37 AM »
Right I totally forgot extra Fixed Dice were a thing.

Maybe.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: August 15, 2014, 06:08:10 AM »
I've been playing Shining Force Sword of Hajya for no particular reason aside from the fact that it's there. This game is very unbalanced. To give an example, I faced a wizard boss on one map who dumped a Blaze 3 on a bunch of my units. It did around 20 damage to the ones that it hit when they had around 30 HP at most. The range for the blaze spell was the usual FFT summon spell range whereas all of the previous spells had used the cross shaped pattern. Naturally, I was looking forward to when my basic mage learned the level 3 Blaze Spell.

It turned out that the second mage to join the team learned Freeze 3 much faster than the other mage learned any of her level 3 spells. Freeze 3 is completely nuts. Whereas Blase 3 does about 20-25 damage to everyone in range for 8 mp, Freeze 3 does around 40-50 to everyon in range for 10 mp.  Most enemies have around 40ish hp so doing this huge amount of damage is pretty substantial.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:34:01 AM by dude789 »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: August 15, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
Mega Man II GB VC - played through

Fine enough. Didn't remember Quint being so pathetic. Game in general was pretty easy, I don't think I game overed at all... the same can in no way be said for MMIIIGBVC.

Going to say that MMIGB is better but that could be nostalgia talking.

SaGa 3: Shadow Or Light - played through

I was apprehensive going in because I'd heard that they'd SaGa-fied the game, and I guess they somewhat did, but I still found it much more enjoyable than SaGa 2 GoD.

The game offered to let me play it in easy mode, so I took it up on its offer. Now, I don't know what most of the changes in easy mode were, but the one which I found most striking is that weapon deterioration is disabled.

You might think that this just makes the weapon system the same as FFL3... but no, it's kinda broken. Magic was changed to have charges in this game instead of feeding off MP, so you now have endless magic as well. Furthermore, every weapon in the game actually has four different possible attacks, which eat increasing amounts of charges - for example, the Tome of Fire Magic has Fire for 1 charge, Fira for 2 charges, Figa for 3 charges, and Hellfire for 4 charges. In easy mode you can just spam the most expensive attacks without regard for this (once you learn them, anyway). I have to say that I would probably have found this system kind of annoying if I had to deal with it! So I'm not too broken up about that.

Since stat gaining is more SaGa style now, I was originally planning on rotating the... classes my characters were using, but given that skills learnt for each weapon need to be relearnt for each character I ended up keeping people using the same set of classes throughout the game instead. Specifically, I had Dune (Arthur) as Beastperson & Monsters, Bolnarev (Curtis) as Esper, Milphy (Gloria) as Cyborg and Mecha, and Shilew (Sharon) as Human.

It's a small thing, but I really like how stat gains happen midbattle in this game compared to happening after battles in SaGa 2 GoD. Don't know if any other SaGa games have ever used that.

One thing that I'm not too happy about is that they gutted Mecha. Instead of being a set of creatures parallel to monsters, they're essentially just SaGa 2 GoD Mecha. They did put some of the mecha from FFL2 into the Monster set, but that just makes things make no sense when you eat meat and turn into a tank, and then implant parts and turn back into a beastperson.

The overworld was replaced with a node-based system. I was incredulous! The game with Float, Dive, and the Talons, really? But given how railroady most of the game is, it ended up growing on me.

...until you get the Stesslos and flying over a node-based map is just as dumb as you might imagine. You can't even find any new locations with it or anything, despite being able to see shipwrecks on the map and so on. I haven't actually enumerated all the shipwrecks, but it really feels like there are some that I haven't been able to visit in any era.

...until you get the Stesslos 2, and it turns out that the remainder of the Pureland is actually built around you flying around the map. But still. Flying around the regular maps: almost pointless. In some cases it can be slightly faster than following the nodes. Especially in the future because they didn't put a route between the Palace and Viper so you need to go around through New Dharm.

They let you go back to the regular eras once you get the Stesslos 2 now, but there's almost no reason to do so outside of taking up the Times Gear options which require negative Times Gear points.

Never ended up using the remote control in battle, so I can't say how awesome Stesslos attacks are. I have to say that powering them up by having the Stesslos abduct enemies seems like the most tedious thing ever, for all that it's vaguely hilarious.

I don't recall if anyone's ever linked the design for adult Nemesith (Faye) here before so I'll do that because it's kind of terrible.

[EDIT]Oh right, I was also a big fan of the Stack Battle system. Much, much better than just flooding you with enemies like SaGa 2 GoD was doing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:22:27 PM by Twilkitri »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: August 16, 2014, 01:23:02 AM »
This just makes me want to play FFL3 again

Anodyne: Zelda Link's Awakening without tools.
Storyline is "Dreamlike" (YMMV, but I got no greater meaning from anything, and nothing made sense, so I just stopped talking to NPCs after a while) and gameplay is unremarkable. (I just kinda went up against enemies and smashed them? I only lost agains the final boss)

The Stanley Parable: Short walking simulator.
The game's point is mostly about mocking New Game Design (Think Bioware or Assassin's Creed)  But they are easy targets, really.
I like the game more when it deviates from this point; as it can have a wicked sense of humour. The employee lounge was my favourite part and I always checked it.

Jazzpunk: GREAT name. Killer art style. As far as walking simulators go I liked this one less though.
I enjoyed my time with this overall, but it should have had less references, random humour, and walking. (Much like in classic adventure games, the funniest parts of the game are about being a total jerk) The New Zealand resort level was really boring (esp. compared to the first and last levels) and the game lost its momentum there.

Shovel Knight: Kickstarter game that looks like a NES game ans has Ducktale's classic Pogo Stick attack. It's pretty much the best NES game, and a better effort than Megaman 9 at a classic retro game. It actually feels more like Megaman than Ducktales with its carefully tuned single screen rooms, and crazy game mechanics unique to each stage.
I feel that enemies don't really do enough damage, pits and spikes are too large of a threat in comparison. That's my only complaint.

Serious Sam The Random Encounter: Crashes after the first battle.

The Binding of Isaac: Oh god I'm pulled in. Help.

The Void: In the tutorial, already lost. What is this about my left stomachs and my right stomachs and my heart...s?
My mouse is acting like crazy so I can't play much more.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: August 17, 2014, 04:21:34 AM »
Warframe:  Started this a few weeks ago, since it finally has enough polish to where it looks like an actual game instead of Big Rigs 2.  Started as Volt, and made a Valkyr frame because that booty go clap.

Just hatched my very own Kudrow to follow me around.

Wow she has not aged well.