Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183581 times)

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #1900 on: August 04, 2014, 11:30:17 PM »
Yeah, Child of Light isn't going to win any prizes for plot/writing but I find it oddly endearing/charming none the less especially from the chat exchanges  various characters have with each other after random battles a lot of which I didn't encounter or realize what was triggering it until my third run through the game on my second NG+ run since my first runs were spent on no randoms challenges~, exchanges like the temp's assessment of Aurora's group of friends, she seems genuinely complimentary of Rubella and Tristis, especially Tristis for some reason, calling him brave to pursue his dreams, a conversation Rubella has with Oengus about her Dad being a carpenter and apparently it turns out he helped do some building for Oengus's tribe, Oengus thinks her dad would be proud of Rubella now, a convo between Gen and Tristis where Gen wonders why Tristis is always so sad, she queries if the parents of Tristis and Rubella are dead, Tristis doesn't want to talk about it, he feels the pain, and he feels for Gen's loss as well~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: August 05, 2014, 12:44:38 AM »
Gods Will Be Watching trip report.

This is a game that exists.  How does this game exist?  How did this get made and to a point where it is actually being sold to people?  I am kind of in awe.

It is a hostage situation/POW torture simulator and resource management game.  A lot of reviews hide this for whatever reason, they really shouldn't because the people who will not like this game will REALLY not like this game.  It is like Papers, Please turned up to infinity.  I am not even sure I like this game.  I derived some form of enjoyment or satisfaction from it... I THINK... but I am not sure I can recommend it to any other human being.  I can't even think of a better way to talk about it than to just describe what it is.

You start by playing a group of rebels who have invaded a facility and taken some hostages.  The gameplay is turn based and consists of choosing actions in order to not die.  You have to negotiate with the police and stop them from encroaching on your position, both physically and electronically, and manage the group of hostages.  They have different personalities, if confident hostages get too comfortable they'll try to fight or escape, so you have to yell at them, kick them, maybe shoot some of them in the kneecaps to keep them in line.  But if you're too intimidating, then the more scared hostages will panic and make a break for it or do various suicidally dumb things.  Your team members also have different personalities and some of them can object if you're too violent or cruel or lax.  There is some amount of RNG in the decisions and outcomes as well, which is mechanically infuriating but plays to the theme.  It is definitely possible to play optimally and still have things go south very fast.

Then the next encounter reverses the situation, your characters get captured and tied to chairs and you must survive several days of torture and interrogation.  Your options are "PROVOKE, BEG FOR MERCY, LIE, THINK OF MORE CONVINCING LIE, CONFESS."  Your captors wrench your teeth out and blowtorch you and various other things in gruesome pixel art.  One of the torture options is Russian Roulette, 1 bullet in the revolver and anything your captor doesn't like earns you a pull at the trigger.  It is legitimately randomized and can fire on the first shot.  That is the sort of game this is. 

The game continues.  It does actually get less brutal in the later stages, which involve things like "merely" having to decide on an acceptable lethality rating for the drug cocktails you're live testing on someone and then waiting to see if they wake up from their sedatives or not.

After every mission you get an online stats comparison where you see what percentages of people behaved in the same ways you did and are tantalized with how things could have gone differently.  Walking Dead, eat your heart out. 

This is a video game experience that somehow exists.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: August 05, 2014, 02:37:55 AM »
If you hit select while on a character's status screen and move the cursor to the zodiac sign, you can see a list of signs they have good or bad compatibility with. (Unfortunately you have to learn to recognise the zodiac signs, which out of all skills I have picked up while playing video games is the one I am most ashamed of.)

Naturally the high-faith recruits I grabbed have worst compatibility with Ramza. Oh well, never stopped me before!

EDIT: though it does mean I don't give a shit about friendly fire, which is fun.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:49:57 AM by El Cideon »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: August 05, 2014, 01:34:04 PM »
Bravely Default: Liam O'brien has been murdered, that is all.

Wind Waker HD: About to do the Earth Temple, I think.  It's "I think" because I'm not sure what I expect when I bring the bird person to the temple and things happen and...

...wait a minute...

A BIRD person (which are apparently descendants of the Zorras because THAT'S how evolution works, right?) is the Sage for the Earth Temple, which was originally run by a Zorra, aka a Fish person?  And I can already tell the Sage for the Wind temple is going to be a Tree Person...

...correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't those be like swapped?  Ok, forest and wind fit, but forest and earth fit a hell of a lot better than bird and Earth, and Bird and wind seem like an obvious connection.

...also, I killed a gauntlet of enemies that included no less than 6 Dark Nuts.  my reward? 200 Rupees!  THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN HEART CONTAINER WORTH DAMN IT!!!  Ah well, at least my limit is 5000, so it's going to be hard to reach that "YOU GOT A BUNCH OF RUPEES! ...but you already have max so you can't care, go spend it on useless stuff so these can pretend to be rewards again" moment.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: August 05, 2014, 09:18:30 PM »
FF6 Eviltype - Doing WoR stuff now. I actually don't want to go too recruitment-happy too fast for level re-averaging reasons, so I figure I'll do a somewhat different order than I often do. I do grab Gau right away because (a) Setzer really sucks right now and (b) Gau knows craploads of spells from all his WoB playtime + hey some Rages are useful.

Narshe - 1 reset. The enemies here are certainly legitimate, being able to output plenty of damage, and Red Wolf seems to tank every status I throw out. I die to Wizards when they break Ice Rods on me. :( That's what I get for not having any elemental resistance I suppose. Anyway some status (I think it's Stop) deals with them. Mog get, Moogle Charm get.

With the Moogle Charm I raid the final dungeon for among other things a Minerva, an Aegis Shield, a Force Shield, a Force Armour, and the Fixed Dice. This is kind of a big deal.

Veldt Cave - Toe Cutters aren't too bad, MT poison damage isn't negligible but thanks to my newfound elemental resistance doesn't threaten to just MT 2HKO me or anything. Similarly, it lets me tank Allo Ver's nasty Snowball spam which is quite dangerous, especially since he has runic so I can't heal against him normally (Harvester Rage is a big help).

SrBehemoth - 4 resets. Screw this guy. First stage deals some brutal elemental damage which can be dealt with by Rasp (at low HP he pulls out Meteo which is MT OHKO to whatever it hits, extrapolating from his other damage. Yet another reason to Rasp him). The second stage is of course the real problem since Lullaby->Lullaby->Overcast what the hell is that. One reset from forgetting that Ribbon = permazombie in this battle, the rest just from getting too hosed by Lullaby. At my levels I need two good rushes so have to survive two of his killer status turns. Unicorn, I realise, will heal one used of Overcast, which is great, and Runic can block one Lullaby. Still pretty much just need to tank the other with MBlock (could have used Ribbon once I realised about Unicorn but it's risky). Oh well, I pull it off eventually.

Current levels are 21-22.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: August 06, 2014, 03:06:52 AM »
Dragon Quest 6 - Got up to the Dread Realms and have got most of the way through it.  Probably up to the second last dungeon or so based on pacing.  I am still enjoying this even in its simplicity, which is unexpected to be honest.

Dragon Quest 8 or 9 with Tension stripped out?  A shitty version of class system that is only introduced 1/3 of the way through the game?  Clearly this is terrible.  It isn't really though, it is kind of a kludgey pile of functional sub par ideas.  It is like Lufia 2 kind of, a bit more polished, but a bit less "fun".  It is an "okay" game.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: August 06, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
FFT: I considered taking Gaffy's equipment before he inevitably stabbed me in the back but decided I valued my sense of immersion more.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: August 06, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »
Sadly for the sense of immersion, but happily for your inner kleptomanic, all of his equipment shows up in your inventory after the battle anyway.

Maybe.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: August 06, 2014, 05:39:50 PM »
During the battle, really.  If you leveled a thief enough, you can steal all the gear he was equipped with and have two sets of it.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: August 06, 2014, 09:22:18 PM »
Child of Light - Finished this. Levels were 36-39 or so, took about 15 hours. I had some definitely trouble with the final boss which was mostly fixed by noticing there were some armour occuli which resisted general magic damage and using more Lull Elixirs.

Game was pretty enjoyable. Grandia-style but gives you a bit more control. Being able to use your pet firefly to slow down one enemy is probably a tad OP especially once you're down to one remaining enemy (especially once I noticed the in-battle flowers) but I like it in principle anyway since it gives you some more ability to influence the system, and hey the game is hard enough if you play HM and skip most randoms. (Probably isn't hard enough otherwise, of course.) The game has two notable flaws gameplaywise I think. One is that healing between fights is annoying. You sit there slowly firefly-spamming yourself back to full, or you try to find some flowers without accidentally running into more randoms, or you use one of a finite resource. Not even towns provide inns or anything, c'mon. Game could probably have just used full HP restoration after each battle (which it kiiiinda has since you get all your HP/MP back whenever you level, but consistency would have been nice). My other issue with the game is that two PCs feels strategically limiting. Switching being a free action helped and was very welcome (whereas in some games it feels a bit too powerful) but it meant things like multitarget buffing or using Ally X (usually Rubella) to heal Ally Y's HP felt cumbersome. It's not the end of the world, but I don't really think it's a decision which worked in the game's favour.

Boss fights were enjoyable but did feel a bit too similar to each other. Especially disappointed that Nox didn't have the skillset she really should have had. I think some of this is that enemy space is limited to 3, and having less than 3 tends to be too weak given how potent slow/firefly are, so always 3 enemies, all the time. I did like some of the things they did with interrupt-countering though. A fun idea there. Also I think they hit a good balance between single- and multi-target damage, though I ended up favouring ST a bit more because usually getting one enemy dead would make a battle controllable.

The game's aesthetics are nice, but the story seemed a bit confusing/messy. I didn't really "get" the confessions which probably didn't help. I don't really have patience for that kind of thing in my games though. Music was good but a bit repetitive (despite having three random battle themes and multiple boss themes).

Dunno where it ends up falling for me. Probably that 6/10 to 7/10 region which lots of RPGs I've found good but not mind-blowing of late. Definitely worth a play though.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 - Downloaded this, patch seems to be working nicely. Too early to say much, but really glad this game got a translation.

Also still playing Mario Kart 8 and have started up a new file of New Super Mario Bros. U with friends because why not.

Maybe.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: August 07, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »
CK and Grefter told me to post more so ok sure.

Antichamber:  For those who liked Portal for the gameplay and not that annoying computer woman.

There is no plot.  There is no characterization.  You are dumped in a surreal maze full of non-euclidean geometry and puzzles.  After you complete a puzzle, there is usually a sketch on the wall with some pithy aphorism about life.  Oh, and there's a countdown in the hub room.

Eventually you obtain a portal-gun-like device that can manipulate the colored cubes around you in various ways.  Solve puzzles.  Continue onward.  Get more powers for your block gun to solve more puzzles.  Hallways that once led to one area now take you to somewhere else entirely.  The eyes on the walls may be staring at you.  How the **** do I get that door open there aren't enough cubes?!

If you like 3d physics and geometry puzzles you will like this game.  If you want plot or story you will not find it here.  It is pretty simple.  Other than the dry presentation, the only major complaint I can muster against it is that there are some puzzles you encounter early on but cannot solve yet, so it can be hard to distinguish whether you are spending 20 minutes on a puzzle that looks impossible but is actually the thing you must figure out to progress, or wasting 20 minutes jumping around a puzzle that is actually currently impossible.  The game's internal logic does hold up most of the time though and you can eventually figure out where to go. 

It does pull you to want to keep on solving puzzles.  It does this very well.  I was easily enticed to marathon the game in one sitting, and so were both of the streamers I've watched run through it.  Good game.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: August 07, 2014, 12:16:55 AM »
Ultra Street Fighter 4: AI characters with command throws are the worst. Also, I suck.

Persona 4 Arena: I also suck.

Starting to improve in the general fighting game category though. Starting to respond to blockstrings for once. Go me.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1912 on: August 07, 2014, 04:45:52 AM »
Crusader Kings 2- using the Clash of Kings mod because I am gonna fix all of Robb Stark's mistakes. Currently on my second generation. Robb married Margaery Tyrell to keep the Reach out of the war, then finding and taming a dragon after an absurd number of failed attempts. Dany invaded, killed Stannis, put Dany on the throne. She's an idiot so I sent for a Faceless man. She dies and the throne is passed to a Florent, for some reason? This will not stand so I take it for myself.

Robb and Margaery have a son, a hunchbacked dwarf who is super sickly. Not a good start. He dies and then there are six daughters until I get someone to sit on the Iron Throne after me without having to use Dornish law. At Prince Anthony's fifteenth birthday, Tyrion (the only Lannister whose head Stannis did not chop off) gets real drunk and asks me if he can sit on my dragon. I say yes. The dragon eats him.

I'm currently conquering Myr, Pentos and Braavos right now, because I can. Not sure how Far I want to go east yet but it will at least be to the Dothraki, where House Martell fled to after I went sick house on them.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: August 07, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
The Fall - short point & click adventure game with light combat, starring...the AI of a combat suit, operating autonomously because the suit pilot is injured and unresponsive.  The AI's mission is to save the life of the pilot, but the suit's diagnostic functions are damaged, so the AI has no idea what condition the pilot is in, or even if the pilot is still alive.  Nice setup, eh?  AI's functions are constrained by its own internal logic (no misrepresenting reality; no risking the life of the pilot) and unlocked only when needed in order to accomplish the AI's mission.  The AI's voice acting in is fantastic, typically the lull and cadence of artificial speech, with occasional bursts of annoyance and urgency.  Setting is also great - abandoned science facility creepy enough (and containing enough wry humor) to give Portal 2 a run for its money.  I took a little under 4 hours to finish it, and it was time well spent.  Story ends on a cliffhanger, and a direct sequel is in development.  when it comes out I won't think twice before picking it up.

It's on sale for the next 11 hours or so.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:45:07 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: August 07, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
Cloé’s Requiem: RPGmaker Psychodrama Horror Mansion: Taste Poison: Revengeance

So there's this subcategory of games: freeware Japanese "light" survival horror in some flavor of RPGmaker or similar engine, usually starring young children, exploring some sort of spooky and/or cursed locale and uncovering some dramatic plot about simple emotions, child abuse, thinly veiled Japanese social commentary, something like that.  You explore the place, hear some stock music, solve some basic item or environment puzzles of the "put the creepy doll on the correct shelf" variety, maybe there's a chase sequence or two (or twenty) and feel sad about kids getting killed or whatever. 

In recent years these sorts of titles became popular as amateur translation projects, thanks in large part to vgperson's translations of Ib and The Witch's House.  Those two games are definitely the most well known titles in the genre, and also generally agreed to be in its top tier of general quality (in Japan, too, not just counting translated works).  They're amazing, you should play them if you haven't - and Cloé’s Requiem amassed quite a bit of pre-translation hype as rivaling them.  So I was anticipating it eagerly, or thought I was, but then summer events happened and apparently tosiaki finished translating months ago and I never noticed until now. 

So here's Cloé’s Requiem, in English.  Does it live up to the hype?  Well...

Y...eeeesss but also no.  The game's overall craftsmanship is strong and easily apparent, the plot hits the notes it needs to and the gameplay is interesting without being frustrating.  It doesn't really do anything wrong, not exactly, but it doesn't do anything spectacularly right either.  There's no real spark of creativity or flavor that would elevate it above the general mental 'norm' for this style of game, nothing on the level of Ib's incredible atmosphere or the hilarious deathtraps of The Witch's House.  A solid hit to first base, rather than a home run.

The characters are probably the game's strongest point.  Michel and Cloé have to carry the entire game on their disaffected 12 year old shoulders, and that's an area where most of the genre drops the ball.  CR does come through, though!  I was actually left feeling more than token empathy for both mains at the end.  This rarely happens, especially with such a basic plot, so props for that.

Puzzles are ok, environments are above average if small, music is pretty decent.  Not earthshattering though.  That's something of a shame, since the thematic premise is all about classical music, but it feels... underutilized?  Yeah, definitely could have done more with the musical aspect, as it is it does have links into the plot, but mostly just as "something the leads happen to do" and art or sports or something could have filled that gap just about as well.  Plot itself is shallow but well executed, except for the overly long Michel flashback.  It does characterize him, but could have either been far shorter or have a greater eventual payoff than one lategame scene.

Unfortunately the ending really holds the game back some.  Lord knows there are worse, MUCH worse, but... ehn.  Do some moderately unintuitive thing, receive "True End" that doesn't really make a ton of sense.  It concluded the story appropriately, but nothing more. 

Overall rating:  "... but nothing more" works.  If you're wondering why I've described the game so heavily in comparisons, it's because it's extremely difficult not to, because it doesn't do anything original and cribs points from dozens of other similar games and polish them up.  Definitely an execution-based title.  It's ok, good even, enjoyable, probably very good for people other than me who don't have standards that could be described as stupidly high.  But... ehn. 

Not on Ib/Witch House level.  Probably below those two and Mad Father, but above the rest of the genre that I've played.  Still quite enjoyable and worth a look if you're interested in the genre though, just play those other three first.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: August 07, 2014, 11:23:20 PM »
Final Fantasy 10 HD: I just killed Seymour!  I guess I'm in the aftergame now!

...joking aside, back to Chronicling stuff!  So Macalania Woods provides no plot sans the Bartello stuff which is basically Auron being awesome, and little else.  Then we fight Spheriomorph who is as godlike as ever, then we get the Jecht Sphere.

While the first hint of "Jecht cares about Tidus" was in the Farplane, this is the first instance where the game demonstrates the real issue.  Farplane, we just saw Jecht thinking of Tidus, but with little context other than "Tidus is starting to second guess himself."  Here, we learn the problem is that Jecht did care for Tidus, he just was really bad at expressing that part of himself.  Even sitting in front of a camera, he has problems fessing up, and can only finish it by going off the camera, and being a bodiless voice.  Opens with Jecht saying "stop crying" which really is a metaphor for "you need to grow up sometime"; this is actually a really neat thing considering a Tidus rant in Zanarkand but I SHOULDN'T BRING THAT UP NOW OH GOD SPOILERS WHAT AM I DOING AAAAH!!!!!
*Camera fuzz*

We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties.  Please stand by.

*Camera fuzz*

...anyway, at first, it comes off as Jecht just being "man up already" but you see he's trying to pass a message onto Tidus, and ultimately, the theme of it is what he says at the end, being effectively "You're my son, and I believe in you."

Auron does note that Jecht did change throughout the pilgrimage, going from "Is in it just to kill time til he finds a way home" to "is committed to helping Braska at all costs, to the point where even if he could go home, he'd stay behind."  Thing to keep in mind though is this Sphere is clearly done early in the Pilgrimage.  Remember, they started in Bevelle, the next image is in the frozen lake area, and then the woods, so we can deduce they went Bevelle -> Macalania Temple -> The Woods.  This gets the point across that "Jecht cares for his son" wasn't a revelation he came across late in the pilgrimage like you'd expect, it's something he's always felt, and he just never had the words to describe it.  The message of course suggests this is about where Jecht starts to resign to the fact that "He can't go back home to Zanarkand" and thus, is making this message in case he never sees Tidus again, and Tidus somehow finds his way there.  Sounds Xanatos Roulette like, but then consider Jecht doesn't sound sure of it; he opens it with "If you're watching this, you're probably in Spira too."

Anyway, Auron relays some info to Tidus, most notably that Jecht loved Tidus, and felt bad that he couldn't go home, but despite that would have stayed in Spira because he was that determined to help Braska.  Tidus tries to act cool by blowing it off at first (though he does have a narrative in between stating he understands where Jecht was coming from, and illustrates he completely relates to Jecht's situation), but he ends, as Auron is walking off, with "Thanks." That "Thanks" is important because it demonstrates that while Tidus on the outside is still "My old man is a jerk!", internally, he's starting to legitimately take this stuff to heart and accept "maybe he's not as bad as I thought."

Then we get the "Rikku is an Al Bhed!" scene.  Tidus doesn't do much special here other than "Rikku's just Rikku, that's all that matters."  Basically your typical "He's the good guy, he's gotta always say the right thing!" line; it's completely in character of course, especially since Tidus has no reason to dislike the Al Bhed (heck, they DID save his life initially), but doesn't really expand his character.

Now what does expand here is Rikku vs. Wakka as this is the first moment where they argue.  It also demonstrates that Rikku is not a total moron which is why her dimwitted self in FF10-2 is kind of facepalm inducing.  The conversation being basically this:

Wakka: Machina are bad and cause Sin!
Rikku: Proof?
Wakka: Yevon said so!
Rikku: What is Yevon is wrong?
Wakka: HOW CAN YEVON BE WRONG!?
Rikku: So you're just going to do whatever Yevon says, without questioning it?
Wakka: That's right!
Rikku: So how do we stop Sin?
Wakka: We atone for our sins!

And basically circle jerks like that, but Rikku's doing what Tidus was doing the entire game, except there's an actual argument, but that's because there are two key differences:
-Rikku actually knows Spira, Yevon, etc., Tidus is completely ignorant to all this, hence Tidus really can't form an argument, just the innocent perspective and derive his own conclusions.  Rikku actually knows what Yevon says to a degree and Spira's history, by contrast, and knows "Uh, yeah, that's not working now is it?"
-Wakka hates Al Bhed, so "HEATHEN DOESN'T KNOW WHAT SHE"S TALKING ABOUT AND MUST BE GIVEN A LESSON!" and basically sticking finger in his ears to her side because "YEVON IS GREAT!" By contrast, with Tidus, it's more a general "hey man, you just don't know, but that's ok, I'll be your teacher ya?"

In any event, while the game doesn't declare a winner, anyone with half a brain would say Rikku won, simply because she used the Socratic method of "question the other side" and kind of proved Wakka doesn't have an argument other than "Yevon said so." 

As far as the Snow Mobile scene, this time I got Lulu.  I don't remember what the Rikku variant was like, so I won't discuss that but the Lulu one is neat because Tidus simply prompts Lulu for what she knows, and brings up a fact that Lulu never considered, namely "No one really knows what Sin is."  Lulu's response is a fair "No one needs to know, so no one asks, you run or fight."   This sequence displays that Lulu is still subjected to the same Yevon brainwashing as Wakka is, but she's capable of being respectful about it (eg not shouting "YEVON IS THE TRUTH!")  Ultimately, Tidus doesn't really change Lulu's perspective, but then that's not his point; he simply wanted to learn more, due to the whole "Jecht is Sin" thing, and ultimately Lulu's response is "You really did come from a world where there is no Sin..."

Seymour sequence, mostly just demonstrates Wakka is having an existential crisis as he's forced to stand against everything he believes to protect Yuna and it's making him go crazy (and he's all "I'm sorry Seymour, we don't mean this honest!"), the rest of the Guardians are all "SEYMOUR IS EVIL, PROTECT YUNA!" because...well...he is.  When Seymour dies, Tidus tries to raise spirits by going "Hey, it's ok, we'll just explain the situation! Seymour's the bad guy, we'll be fine!"  Auron's quick to go "It's not going to be so simple..." and well...yeah, it isn't. 

And that's more or less where I ended, because I didn't feel like dealing with the whole "everyone is freezing under the lake" sequence yet.  So far, the whiniest characters in the game are Rikku, whose more just typical Hyperactive Impatient Teen whining more so than anything else, and Wakka, whose got the Yevon Zealot + Al Bhed hatred thing going on.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: August 08, 2014, 01:10:44 AM »
SPACE GAMES

Teleglitch: Roguelike action.
Amazing first impression (! the shadows) but it gets very repetitive fast. Would be deeply atmospheric, if not for the logs which are not afraid to joke around a little, which is the worst that could happen in that kind of desolate game. In the end this feels more like top down Doom with resource management rather than survival horror, despite the crazy fucking hard difficulty. It's kind of a wasted opportunity.

FTL: Roguelike strategy.
2 playthroughs, got to the end of the game each time and died there.
Blah. Playthroughs are way too long to have a game where the beginning and middle are so easy and the end so hard. Spelunky should be the standard for length / difficulty balance in roguelikes. I doubt I'll play that much more.

The Swapper: Puzzle.
The best one. Metaphysical and lonely, reminded me of sad space movies like Solaris or 2001. Amazing art direction too.
Puzzles were just the right amount of difficulty, which usually never happens. Lategame puzzles were all brain teasers but I never had to spend more than 15 minutes to figure them out.
Worst part of the game is the name of the studio. The devs basically only made this serious contemplative game and still named teir studio Facepalm games?

Waiting for Routine.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: August 08, 2014, 01:56:33 AM »
Tales of Xillia: Trying to finish up my third playthrough in preparation for Xillia 2.  But I'm sooooo grossly out of practice it's absurd.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: August 08, 2014, 02:29:12 AM »
AAI2 - Beat the first case! Definitely the longest and twistiest first case ever. It'd be very intimdiating to play as your first Ace Attorney case (although they do still do the tutorialish things at the start) I think, but I guess they figured hardly anyone would. The appearance of Shelly de Killer was of course awesome. Not sure what I think of it as a case past that, beyond that it feels more like a second or third case in a game. Interesting to see where the game goes from here.

I will probably look into downloading a completed save file for the game, though. I can't stand not being able to speed up text on a first playthrough. Can't believe it took them seven games to fix that.

Eviltype -

Mucking around as usual. Owzer's house wasn't too bad (exploding birds are hilarious and I almost lost to them, but not quite).

Chadarnook: 2 resets. No one thing would make me instantly lose, but some combination of death sentence, lullaby, cold dust, and the OHKO moves to lower defences, and Rage (MT 2HKO at my levels before Shell) would eventually hit a perfect storm and kill me. The most frustrating of the two resets occured when I put in a command to revive with a PC who had 9 left on the death sentence clock, then boom bosses use Pearl -> immediately transforms to get rid of all that time on the clock in one clocktick. Goddamnit. Anyway Super then points out that Demi/Quartr work on him, so I use those. Despite poor accuracy they speed up the battle a lot, so I have more time to keep things from going wrong (and am able to finish the battle around the times thing seem to be going wrong).

I then decide to hit up Narshe again, and pick up Snowman Jazz. I also beat Tritoch, who I debilitate then start hitting with various magic damage, though really Fire 2 alone does bad things to him.

Dirt Dragon: 1 reset here. I use Snowman Jazz's uber-gravity and poison to grind him down, while constantly maintaining float and dealing with periodic OHKOs from Honed Tusk. Then his death counter wipes me out. I could probably beat him, but I'll save it for when my offence is a bit higher.

Triangle Island: 2 resets here, as Tap Dancer/Covert MT damage wipes me out and Wooly/Karkass also take me out with a Slow 2 followed by a couple badly timed Ice 3 OHKOs. But I master them, and a combination of rasp, sleep, stop, etc., deals with things. I get Gogo.

I also get Strago and pick up a few more rages/lores. Both Woolly and Karkass have some pretty great rages, and I'm able to get Quasar (which is insanely badass right now), the Lx spells, Blow Fish, and a few others (I already have Dischord and Pearl Wind from Esper Mountain). I should probably look into getting CleanSweep / Aero / Big Guard too.

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1919 on: August 08, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
Endless Frontier: Beat.  I'm not entirely sure why I just sat on the game so long, when I beat a much longer and less good game in a similar style last year.  Eh, silliness.  Anyway, very charming and breezy in the SRW manner.  It can be a tad one-note at times, but the smaller cast benefits it relative to OG SRW I think, the nuance for each character is relatively greater I guess.  8/10 feels right.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: August 08, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »
MK8 - Got all of the stamps after doing all of the time trials. Game is fantastic, my second favorite Kart after 7. Better graphics without bad game design like Wii does that; I think the series benefits a lot from being graphically beautiful.

Xenoblade Chronicles - The game managed to pass the Bechdel test in its seventeenth hour, much to my surprise. Most previous scenes had just been a single woman surrounded by a bunch of dudes until Melia joined. (Not that Sharla and Melia have passed the Bechdel test...) Also, God, this game's bosses are stupid and annoying. They are like a bizarre combination of plot fighty, gimmicky, and slow to kill. At leas the game is pretty and has Melia.

Thornheart - ~ fires the bechdel test into the sun ~

Donkey Kong Country Returns - About to fight the fourth boss, but I've been too busy collecting letters.  :-[ Great game. Read to play Tropical Freeze next.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: August 09, 2014, 01:53:59 AM »
Tales of Xillia: I nearly died against Veywind Eye.  The ultimate in poor play.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: August 09, 2014, 01:57:02 AM »
Gods Will Be Watching trip report.

This is a game that exists.  How does this game exist?  How did this get made and to a point where it is actually being sold to people?  I am kind of in awe.

After playing Binding of Isaac I'm convinced it could only have been made by utterly deranged minds for utterly deranged minds. It sold like 2 million copies?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: August 09, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
Not doing this Steam thing right as I'm buying games that aren't even for sale. WTH

Crypt of the NecroDancer:
Rhytm based roguelike, still in alpha, all awesome. It's a roguelike in which you have to move to the beat
The game actually works because, while the standard roguelike difficulty applies:
- The game's rather merciful about beats, it's not Guitar Hero, you can be slightly out of sync.
- You can not get hit at all without much trouble. Enemies have fixed attack patterns and are easy to manipulate.

Essentially it is a pretty easy game that forces you to make a decision every second or half second

Now that I've dissected the game mechanics I have to say it's hella charming too. With the best OST.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhFC8pd7oZvxexNzqt8xtzItaTyMBqTCj

I was a bit wary of it since it used a Ben Kuchera quote for its promotional trailer (That's like the only game journalist I know and he's terrible) but hey. You have to promote your game

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1924 on: August 09, 2014, 06:49:36 PM »
Captain K, have you tried out Star-Lord yet?  I'm only like level 25 and he's really goddamn fun so far.