Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183581 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #1400 on: May 21, 2014, 06:56:45 AM »
I dunno, I think the fact that it's a fourteen year old game and people are still talking about it (outside of the DL too!) is actually MORE of a reason to spend some time discussing people's perceptions of it.

And hey, I mean he's replaying it now anyway, let him dissect it, what else is he gonna do besides talk about how pretty the new graphics are in his what, fourth playthrough?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 21, 2014, 11:41:24 AM »
Fenrir: Why would you ever jump in the plague baby pool. I mean, I don't actually know what the items in there are, but seriously why would you do that. And yeah Selen's armor is the nicest looking gear in Demon's Souls. It's just a pity that it's, you know, Demon's Souls armor, I'll wear flashy swag that's just useless, but not mechanically kneecapping myself for it. Re: roguelike Dark Souls, man just Homeward Bone out of Bed of Chaos after fragging each of the shield generators. That's basically what I do in a normal run just because fuck Bed of Chaos.

Child of Light: Oh god dammit. Yeah, the skill overlap was suspicious, but don't expect me to not complain about the style downgrade anyway.

I was all "I have too much health and a Claymore + 574. Plague babies can't be as bad as I remember"

The worst part about Bed of Chaos has to be actually getting to the second insect for me!
Actually, look at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ0csuFo5vY
Hahahah totally doing that.

I'll snipe the Anor Londo archers and tank Gwyn wearing Full Havel.
Might be not that bad! Mostly scared about Iron Golem (yep) and O&S now.

This should still be the hardest roguelike out of the three games: No bonus HP/ring slot from being human form, no extra healing in case things get rough.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:47:28 AM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 21, 2014, 12:01:16 PM »
I mentioned to a friend you were doing this stuff.  He was thinking Capra might fuck you over, but I figure you have played enough that you have learned the lessons of Capra.  Alternately you may just throw poop at it instead if it is really a scary thing.

I also have no idea what the fuck I just watched.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 21, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »
I don't think Capra is going to be too much of a problem. I can beat him pretty reliably. He's an optional boss. I'm always going to do a bunch of other stuff before and save him for later. I would not even fight him if it weren't for all these souls and the ember in the depths.
I'm also going to farm some Chunks in New Londo before O&S

For Bed of Chaos, you basically have to go to each side of the room to kill an insect while the boss attacks and the floor crumbles around you. It is a Climatic Uncharted Fight except you can die. Here the guy just threw bombs in an arc to kill the insects from afar and pretty much skipped the whole fight.

My plan right now is to head straight to the forest at the beginning and kill Shiva and Ninja Buddy with black firebombs for Ninja Flip Ring and Murakumo, then go to the catacombs and shit. Going to be awesome.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 21, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »
I thought that video was going to be sniping the generators with a bow (which I've gotten slammed a couple times doing). Wow, dude. Nice dumbfiring.

The best counter to Gwyn I've always found to be the Black Knight Shield. 95% fire resist what up. Maybe there's a comparable greatshield, but I don't use those. And obviously I'm not parrying him to death because ohmygodohmygodohmygod so my version of tanking it out is just not taking direct hits. (I wore Havel's my first time through the game. I still died to him like a dozen times! Then I stopped idiotically trying to block with the Grass Crest Shield.)

Shiva and his buddy are pretty fearsome at low levels. Good luck!

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1405 on: May 21, 2014, 10:16:40 PM »
Child of Light: Thank you, DL hype machine. I tried this out after reading all the comments on it, and yeah, it's awesome. There are flaws but none of them are ones that particular bother me. On chapter 3, hoping it keeps up this brisk pace. Would prefer at least a 3-member party, but it's fine. Djinn-bait.

It's good to know that even though Grandia hasn't made a game in like 10 years or whatever, the indie scene hasn't forgotten it. Both Zeboyd PA games and this are great for getting my Grandia fix, even without Millenia~

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 21, 2014, 11:31:13 PM »
Shit I started a reply to El Cid RE: Child of Light there and lost it somewhere.

I am bothered by both the style downgrade and the fact that I found that the most interesting combat PC (and the most fun in party interaction for what there is).  You get other things that fill some of the utility but it is all through different delivery methods that I find way more boring.   I will edit in more on this in tiny text or a new post when I get to work.

Ubisoft not very Indie though DJ.  I am pretty happy to see a bigger developer adopting a more Indie business model to publish JRPG style games though!  I think it is both a more viable business model and a good way to handle the genre.  They don't need to be 40 hour mega epics.  I am happy to buy 10 or 20 hour things for $15.

That said, El Cid and I are now officially a DL hypetrain?  Does that mean people are going to start listening to Joe Satriani now?

Zenny, I haven't played Burial at Sea so can't speak for that (that does sound bad) and yeah agree on they are generally not interesting questions anyway.  I just wanted to answer the one I could.  Even as someone that likes Infinite it is a thing I liked as a journey, not as something you sit down and analyse.  Your mileage will vary on if you think the stories shallow enough that they only hold up during the journey being an acceptable or not.  For lots of video games, especially action based ones I think that is fine personally.  If you give me an action based movie as well that references as broadly and well read as Bioshock Infinite does then I would probably be just as likely to come out happy as well.

That said, the Lutece's motivation isn't revenge so much as trying to correct what they see as a great wrong and prevent Comstock from existing and creating an infinite number of brainwashed fanatical Elizabeth's that want to conquer in the name of god with steel and fire who all have the ability to hop between dimensions.

There is more than one Comstock just like there is more than one Booker, there is still a nearly limitless number of divergent paths that take place during people's lives for all the parallel universes.  The point to go back and off Booker before Comstock can be "born" during the baptism is that it destroy every single possible scenario where there could have been a Comstock that would buy a child off a Booker. 

Also travel doesn't cause amnesia specifically, it is existing in the parallel universe causes the brain to struggle with accepting the new reality.  The brain rejects it and starts suffering a fatal aneurysm because of some kind of seizure (because it is struggling with too much data?  Too many impulses?) lots of the time when you see people completely fucked up by it.  Sometimes the minds of the two people in the same existence enter a kind of fugue state like you see with the weaponsmith.  Every Booker you play as suffers from it the whole game whenever they get nose bleeds and blackouts.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 22, 2014, 12:14:03 AM »
That said, El Cid and I are now officially a DL hypetrain?

You two + Pyro. That's a divergent enough set of views that I'm interested, at least.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 22, 2014, 12:28:17 AM »
So I need to get Pyro listening to guitar wank.  Okay.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 22, 2014, 01:50:19 AM »
Rogue Souls:

- 1 death to Titanite Demon because he blocked me with his foot (DAMNIT FEET) and I couldn't avoid his        l i t t l e    m o n e y       overly telegraphed attack that I actually had never seen actually connecting before. Spoiler: It hurts.
- 1 death because I tried to jumpslash Minotaur Demon and he blocked me with his foot.
- 1 death because I ignored a zombie knight who actually followed me around and got me in a corner (bastard)

On the plus side on one run I tried to fight Shiva and pal and won. Barely.

Not going well at all, Dark Souls 1 is indeed by far the hardest game out of all three. Normal enemies do a ton of damage. At least gold pine resins murder the earlygame bosses.

I'm tempted to just go with a Zweihander or something, and ignore tha Murakumo for a while. I want to try it out and all, but having to spend all the earlygame souls on a dumb crest hurts.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: May 22, 2014, 02:39:26 AM »
Fenrir why are you not just headshotting the titanite demon from a million miles away. For reals. (I hope you left a BE WARY OF FEET message.) Also sorcery is really easymode DS1, there's almost nothing in the game this notably fails against (oh hi crystal golems meet low-requirement blunt weapons instead). Is this not being considered as an option?

You know, I'm forced to wonder what you're going to do with yourself if/when you actually accomplish this.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 22, 2014, 02:43:07 AM »
I'm waiting with baited breath for all the Seethe skip failures.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: May 22, 2014, 03:41:23 AM »
Seethe skip would be a speed run thing though.  Fenrir can go with safe but slow routes rather than high risk high technical execution things 3/4 of the way through a run.

That said more Bone Wheel Skeleton shield strats plz.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1413 on: May 22, 2014, 05:06:50 AM »
That's sure a lot of words to defend a character from a 14 year old game against detractors.

Any time I see more than three sentences from Meep I just assume I'll be bored and skip it so maybe try that.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: May 22, 2014, 05:17:18 AM »
Zenny, I haven't played Burial at Sea so can't speak for that (that does sound bad) and yeah agree on they are generally not interesting questions anyway.  I just wanted to answer the one I could.  Even as someone that likes Infinite it is a thing I liked as a journey, not as something you sit down and analyse.  Your mileage will vary on if you think the stories shallow enough that they only hold up during the journey being an acceptable or not.  For lots of video games, especially action based ones I think that is fine personally.  If you give me an action based movie as well that references as broadly and well read as Bioshock Infinite does then I would probably be just as likely to come out happy as well.

That said, the Lutece's motivation isn't revenge so much as trying to correct what they see as a great wrong and prevent Comstock from existing and creating an infinite number of brainwashed fanatical Elizabeth's that want to conquer in the name of god with steel and fire who all have the ability to hop between dimensions.

There is more than one Comstock just like there is more than one Booker, there is still a nearly limitless number of divergent paths that take place during people's lives for all the parallel universes.  The point to go back and off Booker before Comstock can be "born" during the baptism is that it destroy every single possible scenario where there could have been a Comstock that would buy a child off a Booker. 

Also travel doesn't cause amnesia specifically, it is existing in the parallel universe causes the brain to struggle with accepting the new reality.  The brain rejects it and starts suffering a fatal aneurysm because of some kind of seizure (because it is struggling with too much data?  Too many impulses?) lots of the time when you see people completely fucked up by it.  Sometimes the minds of the two people in the same existence enter a kind of fugue state like you see with the weaponsmith.  Every Booker you play as suffers from it the whole game whenever they get nose bleeds and blackouts.

That I can agree with. Like I said, I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the game. It's just... ugh, Ken Levine, stop.

You know it probably says something about how mind blowingly stupid the ending was that I completely forgot about the interlude where Booker sees Elizabeth destroying New York. That said at least in those Universes it seems like she doesn't have her dimensional powers, but yeah that probably explains the Luteces enough.

I think discussing anything else at this point is just going to be dancing around big-ass plot holes, and none of it is very good even before the DLC makes it super inconsistent, so I'm ready to put thinking about the game to rest.

Now to pass this test in July and then download Dark Souls so I can be several months late in joining Cid and Fenrir. Yay.

Quote from: Rob
Ignore Meeple

In my defense I was reading from my phone scrolling upward and unfortunately didn't realize it was Meeple until I got the jist of the post. Really, it is my own fault.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: May 22, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »
Played through Disgaea D2.  Pretty fun romp if you enjoy the series in general, though it's unlikely to do anything major to change your mind if you're not a Disgaea fan.  I'm bored and feel like rambling so I'll break it down a bit.

The good:

As Disgaea experiences go, DD2 is incredibly streamlined and convenient.  The shop system has been retooled; customer rank, rather than functioning as the maximum shop rank you can achieve by passing bills in the Dark Assembly, simply gives you -3% to purchase prices and +3% to sell prices per rank.  (It advances a bit slower than it used to as such, which is fine.)  Shop rank is now instead capped by game progress, and advances automatically; the game holds it at a minimum rank equal to your current chapter minus one, and you can pass a Dark Assembly bill to raise it one rank (and only one rank, as it's capped at your current chapter). 

Tweaking enemy levels is no longer in the Dark Assembly at all; it's now simply a menu toggle which you can do freely in the new Cheat Shop, which also lets you do things like adjust the balance of how much EXP/HL/Mana you earn.  I found that generally, it was best leaving the rates at 100% until you promoted whatever generics you end up using one or two tiers, and then dumping mana gain while boosting EXP and HL as high as the chapter allows them to go; there is vanishingly little need to use the Dark Assembly in maingame in DD2 - at most you'll spend maybe 300 mana per generic you use and then maybe another 300-400 or so split across the story PCs.  (You probably will use a couple generics, since for most of the game you only have 5 forced story PCs in this one.)

The master/apprentice system and Extra Gain are back all the way from Disgaea 1, fittingly since this game is a direct sequel.  However, this system too is massively streamlined; master/apprentice relationships can be changed at will for free, and there are no funny adjacency requirements on an apprentice using their master's skills/spells (and yes, weapon skills are inherited by apprentices just as spells are).  It is utterly trivial to teach your entire team Heal/Espoir for example by apprenticing absolutely everyone to Flonne or a generic healer and having them cast it on themselves in battle 3 times.  That's it.  That's all you have to do.  By the same token, you can create a new generic in deep postgame, apprentice them to Laharl and have the entire sword weapon skill tree learned on the new character in a matter of minutes without grinding weapon mastery levels the old-fashioned way.

Gone, too, are rarity numbers on equipment; it is now simply a trinary system - equips are either normal, rare or legendary, and can be upgraded in rarity by running (a lot of) Item World.  Common items upgrade to rare when you clear 30 floors in them, and rare items upgrade to legendary when you clear 60 floors in them.  Unlike in previous Disgaeas, if you clear an item's world in its entirety, you can now rerun it for even more item levels (if you're so inclined for aftergame, you can actually level items up to level 999). 

As this is a direct sequel, the core cast from the original Disgaea (Laharl/Etna/Flonne) is back, and you have all three of them for the entire game.  The Disgaea 1 cast is probably my least favorite Disgaea cast, but this game handles them, IMO, better than the original game did - possibly because it doesn't have to waste time developing them and can just jump right into the crazy hijinks.  Sadly, none of the other Disgaea 1 characters return as playables besides those three, and only one of them even appears at all.  DD2 is pretty light on story PCs in general: you get one at the end of chapter 2, another at the end of chapter 4, and then you don't get the last forced story PC until just before the final chapter (10).  There are, however, two optional story PCs that can be recruited in maingame (after chapters 5 and 6 respectively); both are worth it IMO. 

Unlocking new tiers of generic classes is back to the (superior) Disgaea 1 system: based solely on category and level.  You can level a tier 1 up and unlock all tiers from it - no need to level up, reincarnate to tier 2, level up again, etc., etc.  Even if it wasn't back to that standard, you wouldn't need to anyway - as briefly alluded above, generics can now promote to their class' next tier now without reincarnating for (current tier*100) mana or thereabouts.

The bad:

As Disgaea plots go, this is one of the weaker ones really.  There wasn't a whole lot left to *do* with this cast after Disgaea 1, and it kind of shows.  It doesn't really detract from the game too badly, but coming off of Disgaea 4's strong effort it contrasts quite a bit.

Also, as mentioned, weapon mastery is back.  At least you only have to really grind each weapon once and then you can just apprentice all the skills around after that.

General commentary/things that aren't good or bad:

Overall, in a lot of ways DD2 played like a heavily modernized, streamlined remake of Disgaea 1.  This is not exactly a bad thing, as it does keep most of the good things from later Disgaea games while adding some of its own (CHEAT SHOP HYPE), but weapon mastery returning is arguably a regression.  Magichange is gone, as well, replaced by monster mounting; this is a fairly lateral change IMO - humanoid PCs can "mount" monster PCs; while mounted, the combined unit cannot use either any of the monster's skills nor the humanoid's weapon skills; only basic physicals and any magic the humanoid PC has learned are available, plus a "Collaboration Attack" which is basically functionally the same as D3/D4 magichange specials.  Unlike magichange, mounting has no time limit.  The combined unit uses the defensive stats of the monster, and the offensive stats of the humanoid, as far as I can tell; if the monster is killed, the humanoid is left on the field still.  Overall I found monster PCs still pretty good.

I'm not the right person to stat topic the game since I grind a little too much, but I think it'd be fun to speculate on how these PCs would look in the DL in a Futurama or the like, so I'm going to do that below.  The new characters will be tinyfonted for spoilers but not the main three. (Note: All "stat boost" evilities cap at +200%.)

Laharl:
He's pretty much the same as his D1 version.  In-game, he has two different evilities: one that he carries for chapter 4 only, and one that he has for the rest of the game outside of chapter 4.  In aftergame you can switch between his evilities in the Dark Assembly; switching to his chapter 4 evility is trivial but switching back to his regular one is expensive on mana and has a low pass rate.  His standard evility gives him +10% to all stats for every unit KOed in the battle (until the end of the map, and both sides count), while his chapter 4 evility adds the restriction that the KOed units must be equal or higher level to him, but ratchets the stat boost up to a whopping 25%.  Sadly neither of these evilities do a damn thing for him in the DL.  He comes with swords by default, and has A affinity with fists/swords/axes.  He is likely better off with fists than swords in this game, as his innate skills give him all the AoE he really needs and fist damage is generally better on single targets.  I ran him with swords and found them surprisingly a little underwhelming compared to my fist-using generic or even Etna's spears.

Etna:
Solid upgrade from the D1 version, I think, no matter what.  Spears are better, spear techs are better, and she's just all around better.  Starts with spears, has A in spear/gun/axe.  She probably wants to stay with spear.  She has a spurious claim to a very overpowered spear for "plot" reasons as well, though it's totally missable and it's not actually unique to her so I could totally see not allowing it.  (Specifics: You have to pass a bill at the Dark Assembly to make her stop following you in the base - which costs 10 mana and always succeeds - then hit the two hidden switches in the Overlord's Castle to open up the secret room where her diary was in Disgaea 1.  The switches are in the exact same places as D1, too.  Then you have to read the entire diary and you get the weapon.  The weapon is a "unique" in the sense that it's not in the standard rank scheme for Disgaea equipment, and the description in-game specifically calls it "Etna's favorite spear"; it's guaranteed legendary and has 1500 ATK/300 DEF/262 RES/262 HIT plus whatever its innocents grant.  However, you CAN equip it on any spear user.  It's only there in the aftergame, though you can do it immediately upon clearing with no other requirements.)

Like Laharl, Etna has two evilities: one that she carries for the entirety of the main game, and a second which she gains (in addition to her original one, not replacing it) immediately on game clear (automatically; nothing special must be done to unlock it).  The maingame evility boosts her damage by 50% against full-HP targets, while the aftergame evility doubles(!) all her stats if she's the only non-Prinny PC on the map (being alone counts!)  Obviously if you allow her this, she's pretty terrifying in duels.

Flonne:
Definitely upgraded from the D1 version as well, even if you don't allow her spells learned from Extra Gain.  Staff physicals now are based on INT and are ranged.  Add to this that Flonne can counter, and that DD2 counters are now universal rather than only triggered by basic physicals - specials and spells trigger counters just as physicals do - and the fact that Flonne's attacking specials aren't too bad anyway.  She gets S mastery in staves and A with bows and books; going books gives her a sleep weapon skill at the cost of ranged counters.  Like the other two mains, she has two evilities: one which she carries for chapters 1-8, and a second she carries for the final 2 chapters.  In aftergame, she returns to the first evility and you have to spend (a lot of) mana to get the second evility back.  The second evility is the one she uses against the final boss though.  Her initial evility gives her +10% to all stats whenever she heals someone to full HP (until the end of the map); her lategame evility gives her percentage stat boosts when she is healed, equal to the percentage of HP she regained (so if she's healed for 50% of her HP - overhealing doesn't count - +50% to all stats). 

Oh, and she innately learns healing spells.  Yeah, her second evility is absolutely insane for dueling anyone who doesn't OHKO her or status her to death.  It's about as broken in-game too.

Sicily:
Eeeh... well, she's a slightly better D1 Flonne, I guess.  She's got S in books and A in staves; books are really not great weapons, but since she doesn't get innate magic of any sort she depends on their weapon skills for much of her offensive game.  So it goes.  Her specials are basically "Laharl but INT-based", and her stats are much the same really.  Her evility reduces all elemental damage by 75%; this is processed separately from the standard elemental resist system (and stacks multiplicatively with it as such, not additively).  It doesn't catch Star element; personally I'd interp it as catching all common elements, but not stuff like the esoteric SO elements or Almighty or the like.  Book weaponskills give her a sleep skill, which helps some.

Lanzarote:
She's a palette swapped Archer that trades some offensive stats for stat-buff spells, including some which are normally unique to the Sea Angel monster class (and which cannot be apprenticed onto other PCs).  DD2 stat buffs are +50% stat for 3 turns, so this is good, but she can't buff DEF or RES.  Her evility is simply +4% all stats to all allies and -4% all stats to all enemies, nothing too interesting.  Most of the unique buffs are irrelevant in the DL (one gives +50% crit rate, which is nice).  Standard weapon is bow (S), and she has no better than B in any other weapon.

Barbara:
Basically a palette swapped Heavy Knight with a different hair style.  Standard weapon is spear.  She only has two specials but they're pretty good.  She has A in sword, spear and axe, and probably just wants to stay with spear since she's a late PC and she starts with the most levels there.  Her evility boosts her attack and defense by 50% and makes her always counterattack (if in range) when she is defending... which means she probably just wants to spam Defend in duels and let things kill themselves on her as that's likely to be her best damage if her opponent can't outrange her.

Asagi:
She's a maingame PC this time, if an optional one!  She's got S in guns, nothing above B elsewhere, and has the same skillset as her Disgaea 4 "HD Asagi" DLC incarnation as far as I can tell.  Her evility is useless in the DL (whenever she performs a Team Attack, she attacks again, up to a maximum of 3 times if she repeatedly Team Attacks).  Gun skills are decent and she can possibly outright kite with them since she has 5 movement as well.  Hmm.

Porkmeister:
The other maingame optional PC and the only story monster.  Like his father Hoggmeiser in Disgaea 1, he's simply "generic Minotaur with better stats and better specials" and a unique evility (in this case, +30% all stats whenever any "Overlord" is on the map, so nothing in the DL).  Eh.

Final boss:
Well, all he does is spam one massively overpowered attack (it OHKOed all but one of my PCs it hit), but his evility makes him a potentially very interesting dueler.  His evility drains stats from nearby units (regardless of allegiance) and adds them to his own: 30% of base (unequipped) stats at point-blank range, -3% per square of distance between him and the unit.

EDIT: A few added notes that might be helpful for anyone who DOES stat topic DD2 sometime:
  • Final boss is level 80.  I'd probably take endgame levels somewhere right around there, though getting there would take some grinding, in large part because the final boss' design strongly encourages overpowering him with a single PC supported by a very tanky healer.  In my case, with moderate grinding, I had levels in the high 80s/low 90s and most of my characters were getting OHKOed by him.
  • DD2 counters are the most inclusive things I've ever seen, in sharp contrast to counters in early Disgaea games: everything offensive triggers them, whether basic physical or special physical or magic, and whether ST or MT.

Also, I added another point to the good things above.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:14:09 PM by Reiska »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: May 22, 2014, 07:30:03 AM »
The end of Burial at Sea is really fucking uncomfortable and it doesn't seem to serve any real purpose other than shock value.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 22, 2014, 07:53:58 AM »
Her dimensional powers are specifically because she is partly in two dimensions (the lost finger).  I suppose we don't actually know if that is a singular situation (we know multiple Elizabeths are functionally stolen from Bookers because Comstock can't have kids...), but I doubt it.  The Luteces only needed to succeed once to make the change, but there is clearly multiple Comstocks with functioning flying cities and they only worked on the strengths of Lutece.  Not sure how much is derived from Elizabeth and how much from Lutece.  Shit I don't think we have any idea of what Elizabeth ends up like if she doesn't have powers.  Or does Colombia even end up with the power to effect that kind of change just on what Lutece more restrained transdimensional stuff.

Anyway, none of that is particularly interesting like you said.  It is mostly just filling in plot holes by digging bigger ones.  Like I said, for me it is far more enjoyable a ride than a well built road.

Oh and for what it is worth, he didn't run the studio into the ground.  He just closed it.  Dropped the mic while he was on top.  Suck it h8rz.  In no way was Bioshock Infinite not a success financially. 

Also plz no pissing contest.  I will shit on your chest later if it makes you happy.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1418 on: May 22, 2014, 10:57:25 AM »
Played through Disgaea D2.  Pretty fun romp if you enjoy the series in general, though it's unlikely to do anything major to change your mind if you're not a Disgaea fan.  I'm bored and feel like rambling so I'll break it down a bit.

What a great summary of all of the salient points of Disgaea D2! Thanks for this, I will link to it often.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: May 22, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »
I'm waiting with baited breath for all the Seethe skip failures.

I'm inclined to suggest Seath mk. 1 death shouldn't count since it's basically a forced plot kill (and the skip route is incredibly risky, since you know it isn't supposed to be possible).

Also Zenny how in the world could you ever mistake a Meeple post for someone not Meeple. Just saying.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: May 22, 2014, 05:02:02 PM »
Your question about Elizabeth without powers is answered in Burial at Sea pt 2.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: May 22, 2014, 10:27:56 PM »
Any time I see more than three sentences from Meep I just assume I'll be bored and skip it so maybe try that.

In my defense I was reading from my phone scrolling upward and unfortunately didn't realize it was Meeple until I got the jist of the post. Really, it is my own fault.

Does it hurt to be that far up your own ass?  What is this, second grade?  You need a time out?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: May 22, 2014, 10:44:27 PM »
Not to mention we just spent like 2 months talking about Xenogears plot.

Saints Row 3:  I think this is the first game I've seen that lets you put facial hair on women.  Also, it has the Three Amigos Salute built into it, so automatic 10/10 game.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: May 22, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »
Bravely Default - Still poking through this.  I am still getting minor enjoyment out of doing all the side stuff.  Just minor differences between things is interesting and cute how it is only hinted at rather than fully fleshed out, but does leave me wanting more.

Now I want to talk about Natural Talent.  This is hands down the most expensive skill in the game.  For 1 SP and 3 equipment slots you double your attack power.  It needs to be used with Knuckle Lore on most classes.

This competes with Double Hand which is 1 SP and does the exact same buff.

Fuck Natural Talent.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: May 22, 2014, 11:22:06 PM »
Two-Handed only doubles the -wielded weapon power-, I thought. Doubling the actual -attack- stat post-weapon modifiers is a different ballpark.

That said, Natural Talent's still a terrible skill, it exists only for shiny numbers.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....