Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183647 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #1325 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:44 AM »
The fire caestus would stick to its own scaling, unaffected by the pyromancy flame itself but following the same basic rules. Specifically, the caestus' physical damage would still get a damage bonus from STR/DEX, and the caestus' fire damage would get a damage bonus from INT/FTH (these appear to influence fire damage equally--every even number you hit in either of them will boost a character's Fire Bonus stat, which is applicable to damage with both pyromancies and fire weapons).

I'm not sure how effective a fire caestus would be. Elemental infusions are generally best for weapons that have high base damage and don't rely much on scaling in the first place. Making a normal weapon into an elemental weapon basically does the following: reduce base physical damage to something like 70%; add base elemental damage equal to the base physical damage; reduce the weapon's existing scaling ranks by one letter; add elemental scaling as a C or B (think it ranks up to the latter with linear weapon quality upgrades).

Anything less than an A is fairly unspecial for scaling in DS2. I imagine it would be painful losing a +10 caestus' A in STR/DEX since that's where most of the weapon's damage comes from in the first place, but bonuses from multiple stats can definitely stack up. I guess if you're running a character with basically modest stats across the board who doesn't excel in the physical attack stats in the first place, you might come out on top this way.

Of course, you can totally try it either way since the caestus is storebought in infinite quantity. If it winds up being crap as a fire weapon you can still revert it back to normal later. Should note it takes handing a specific item to a specific vendor to able to infuse anything, and although you could run straight to both it's probably going to be a good half-dozen bosses into the game. Earliest place I know of to get the ore needed for the specific infusion is in the salamander room in the Forest of Fallen Giants; you can jump down there safely with the cat ring but might want to range kill the salamanders first (they're bastards).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:29:15 AM by El Cideon »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 14, 2014, 11:14:56 AM »
I don't have the game, just generally following my interests.  I understand that there is at least one salamander out of three that you can snipe (maybe two?).  I had envisioned this build starting as Sorcerer honestly and coasting on Soul Arrow for the first chunk.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 14, 2014, 11:34:06 AM »
Oh I wasn't suggesting a fire caestus, this would probably suck yeah. Also infusion is mid-lategame anyway. You need to get to both the Iron Keep and the Lost Bastille first. I think you can snipe three salamanders out of 4. Would take so much time though.

Cid has shown that Pyromancy scales extremely weakly with stats and the spells have no requirements, so I was just suggesting a couple spell slots as you'll have some slots left at the end.
Hexes require a high stat investment (Faith, Int, and Attunement), miracles and sorceries a moderate one (Either Faith or Int, and Attunement), and pyromancy a low one. (Only Attunement) So pyromancy is the good default stat to support melee builds.

Sorcery/Caestus/Big Shield could work... Maybe... I don't know.
If you choose a Sorcerer you're stuck with 14 Int while, say, the Bandit has 1. If you respec you can't go lower than 14 Int. It's a bit of a waste if you don't plan on using sorcery later. Sorcery also becomes very weak pretty fast if you don't focus on it.
But you could enchant your caestus and shield and shit, and turn your shoes blue.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 14, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »
Well I am sold.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 14, 2014, 11:18:53 PM »
Bravely Default - Into the 4th chapter now.  Discovered the first Blue Quest that doesn't hand feed you all the various steps besides time of day juggling.  Currently in the Earth Tower, which is feeling like a decent spike in difficulty.  Though, part of this may be a combination of not having Examine around for targetted killing, and having Edea learning Templar which feels like a drop in offensive power from her Pirate/Valkyrie/Swordmaster days.

Fiddling around also found a dragon which kicked my ass.  Though, I can see how I'll beat the Salamander quickly (so long as I don't mind only getting Exp and JP for Tiz)

SRW:AG - Also playing this.  Nearing the end of the game, as knowable by the fact that I've got the Hi-Nu, Mazinkaiser, and Shin Getter.  Naturally, they are also seeing use.  Garrod and the Double X is also in play due to the fact that I jumped through all the hoops to get me some G-Bits, so I may as well use them.

Random notes. 
Hi-Nu Gundam's moveset looks ridiculously dramatic.  I especially like the touch of adding Lalah's ghost to the Fin Funnels.
Mazinkaiser is still obscenely broken.  Why yes I want a 1-4 range free attack that can do up to 10k damage without Valour.
Finally, just two Mastery Points away from locking in the Hard Ending.  With four maps left before the pathsplit, it should be doable.  Though the masteries are at least getting harder now.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 15, 2014, 01:19:10 AM »
Fiddling around also found a dragon which kicked my ass.  Though, I can see how I'll beat the Salamander quickly (so long as I don't mind only getting Exp and JP for Tiz)

Hahahaha.  I'm on C5 and am only tackling the dragons now (3 down, 3 to go).  Your clever Iceflame Shield? strategy is not going to work.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 15, 2014, 05:30:30 AM »
Link's Awakening - Kinda running out of steam. Just beat the sixth instrument dungeon.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 15, 2014, 05:47:02 AM »
I haven't made any progress in Chapter 4, decided to cut down the dragons and wanted something mindless to do while I was cooking supper.  Half of them are down now and the hardest part is finding the ruddy things.  Killed Dark, Light, and Wind, know where Fire is, but no clue where Water is despite trying to hunt it down.

Tiz is the only survivor, but I got the Wind Dragon with the Unscathed bonus.  They are, um, kinda easy to break, and Comeback Kid only makes it take a lot less time.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: May 15, 2014, 06:21:18 AM »
Bioshock Infinite:

Just got dropped off in Finkerton. Game is a clear step up from Bioshock 1, with some solid fights that actually threaten to kill you on Hard mode. The addition of Elizabeth is quite nice as it cuts down on running around looking for health packs in the middle of a fight, and if I miss a few coins here and there while exploring it's nice to have an NPC to just pick them up (or point out when I overlook things like lockpicks). Also, the skyline system is pretty neat.

The downside is that they kinda botched the weapons system, I think. You can only hold two guns, which on the one hand lets them have a pretty large selection of guns and lets there be a handful of unique overpowered guns that you use once and throw away, but on the other hand actually just means I stick to the Carbine and RPG or Sniper Rifle and use nothing else for fear of not having one of those two/three available when I need it. And when I *DO* need one of them that I don't have on hand, it leaves you running around the battle field scrounging for supplies, negating the entire reason Elizabeth is nice to have in combat. To top it off, the Vigors are all borderline useless, the most useful being the lightning one because it actually stuns enemies long enough for you to reload in a pinch. And from a storyline perspective, the Vigors feel... really out of place. In Bioshock 1, your Adam moves were an integral part of the setting and mythos, but in Infinite it feels tacked on, like someone said "It's Bioshock so we need magic powers," and there you have it. The only time they've actually been a part of the story so far was when one was acting as a Macguffin to sidetrack you for a couple hours.

To sum up, gameplay wise it has worse designed guns and vigors than BS1 but much better designed encounters and ancillary mechanics.

Setting wise, it certainly feels more alive and distinct than Rapture in BS1, with more backstory than "Rar Libertarianism", and it has given me an excuse to fight not one, not two, but four different mechanical George Washingtons With Chainguns, and that is Cool. On the other hand I can't help but feel that the game is going to be uncomfortable for anyone who isn't a white man to play because of all the blatant racism. I get that it's going for an era set-piece sort of thing with all of it, but I just can't help but feel like it's being handled poorly. It hasn't really come into play except to go "Hey look at all these bigoted assholes aren't they horrible. Here's a picture of a hook-nosed Jew and a bespectacled buck-toothed Chinaman. Do you feel repulsed yet." Granted I imagine I'm not even halfway through the game so I do hope that they do more with it, but at this point I just don't think that it's making a strong or poignant enough social commentary to justify all the horribleness.

Plot wise it is all very intriguing and all but I imagine it is going to go into the shitter quick because it's Bioshock. I was not impressed by the Would You Kindly twist in 1 and I imagine whatever they pull out of their ass for Infinite will be just as tedious-yet-somehow-universally-praised-by-the-internet.

A final note, I'm not sure the whole choose-your-morality choices really fit when you have a character who speaks, has a personality, and above all none of the choices seem to affect that personality. And while some of them are your standard "spare your enemy or don't" type of choices a lot of them are just dumb, like "this is an obvious trap and the character in front of you is literally saying "yes he is here we'll take care of the situation" do you draw first or wait to have your body filled with bullets to shoot your guns?" Morality systems in games that are distinctly not RPGs are just bad and this one is no exception.  Oh well. I guess I'm going for the good ending now? Except for the time when I didn't want to get shot first? I don't even care.

I'm still having fun with the game but I imagine I'm going to be happy I waited for a sale and didn't pay full price for it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 15, 2014, 07:37:48 AM »
I will read your shit drivel later you sexy sexy man slurry.

Excal: Water dude is on island North East of Florem.  Just before the Snow starts.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: May 15, 2014, 10:14:40 AM »
I'm still having fun with the game but I imagine I'm going to be happy I waited for a sale and didn't pay full price for it.

Oh, you will be. I look forward to endgame story rants.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 15, 2014, 10:21:07 AM »
I started Bioshock Infinite a couple of months ago and got bored waiting for something to happen other than rummaging through trashcans.  I mean at least Star Ocean 2 let you fight Alan Tax after a while.  With this game it's like how long does it take before you get to fucking shoot something?

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 15, 2014, 11:20:29 AM »
I started Bioshock Infinite a couple of months ago and got bored waiting for something to happen other than rummaging through trashcans.  I mean at least Star Ocean 2 let you fight Alan Tax after a while.  With this game it's like how long does it take before you get to fucking shoot something?

Yeah that's a fair point, it was like an hour of obsessively checking trashcans and then they finally give you a weapon at the raffle. In hindsight, considering how pointless money became once I could buy something, I wish I had just run to the raffle. I'd have, what, one less upgrade for a weapon I only ever use IIF I'm out of Carbine ammo and need a weapon NOW, OR the RPG / Sniper Rifle, whichever I'm carrying at the moment, are useless (which is really damn rare) without that cash? yeah whatever. That said it at least picks up immediately. SO2 still sucks even when it gets going.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:27:05 AM by Makkotah »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 15, 2014, 06:10:59 PM »
Super Metroid - what the hell was up with that wall jumping section
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 15, 2014, 08:16:57 PM »
Damn casuals who want to never be threatened but still feel like they've achieved something so look how much HP I took down.

I think the balance issue you're having is mostly a result of you just having hit max level.  For DH especially, your damage can be boosted via equipment more efficiently than your health can, so if you gear up a bit, you'll soon find the high risk/high reward challenge you want.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 15, 2014, 09:30:10 PM »
Soul Nomad: Finished. Around 25 hours, levels around 30-32 mostly. Final boss was fairly legitimate at least, one of two battles that convinced me to bother using decors (the other was Yavis/Parin which remained clearly the most difficult map in the game to me).

It was pretty fun. The best thing about the game was, of course, Gig. The design doc for the game was presumably all based around him; the rest of the plot feels kind of mailed in but Gig stuff, both the obvious humour and the learning about his role in the backstory, were good times. Even better, his voice acting is basically amazing, and completely sells me on a whole bunch of his lines. He's not the only good part of the game, mind. Most of the rest of the PC cast is quite solid. I liked Danette, Levin, Vitali, and Tricia pretty well! Even Grunzford was less bland than I was expecting, and Juno was fine. Generally found most of the cutscenes pretty enjoyable as such. I enjoyed plenty of the NPCs too. Shauna and Raksha get shout-outs for being memorable villains; Thuris and Kanan were fine too. Unfortunately the late villains are rather bland/unmemorable by comparison. I really can't bring myself to care about any of them after Raksha, and certainly any of them after Dio.

I think my previous post made this obvious but yeah you can add Levin's reveal as another on my list of beloved face-heel turns. Another case where great voice acting helped sell the scene.

The writing's not perfect certianly. The setting feels rather mailed in (some of this is the complete lack of visual budget), and I don't think the game tied up its serious plot points very well. I basically felt nothing during the conflict with the last three villains (four depending on if you count someone as a villain) and that's not very good. I got emotionally invested in the major characters, but not the plot. Also Endorph is a pretty obnoxious Stu (sorry, Tonfa!) and most of his later scenes were cringe-worthy. I also somehow got his ending. Sadface.

Gameplaywise it is there, it largely doesn't get in your way. It also doesn't make much good of its potential either. Map design feels very lazy; a lot of maps just felt like ("4 of this enemy type, 4 of this other, oh just place there wherever it doesn't matter") kinda like SRW's weaker map designs. I largely ignored decors; they seemed cumbersome to constantly re-equip, but in the end they work pretty well as a "use only if the map is hard" because the game is so easy most of the time. Setting up rooms seemed needlessly cumbersome. Fights were fun when the game made you use the system (although it took me over a quarter of the game to understand the weapon triangle and then make use of it) and at worst they were bland filler before more writing. It's not a gameplay game but the gameplay didn't get in the way and occasionally had some things going for it, so I can't really complain.

Voice acting is great as I keep mentioning, at least for certain key parts. Music was also good. Graphics are of course where the game cuts all sorts of corners, and while it's a bit worse for this, it's not ultimately a big deal.

Going to give the Demon Path a spin next. Nooo idea what to think about that! We'll see.

Probably a 6/10 game regardless. This one's not going on the replay list most likely, but it was time well spent.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 16, 2014, 01:15:59 AM »
Roguesouls 2: YES LET'S WIN THIS

Caestus +10
Caestus +10
Sea Bow +8

50 Vit
40 Str
25 Dex
40 Adp

Tseldora Hat
Tseldora Gloves
Tseldora Chest
Havel's leggings

Ring of Blades +1
Life Ring +1
Chloranthy Ring +1
Covetous Serpent Ring +1

10 Estus Flasks +3
Way too many small stones of healing
Way too many fire arrows
Way too many Lightning/fire/poizn enchant items

Drangleic Castle

Super high confidence
If I die at this point I am going to scream "I DO NOT ACCEPT THIS" like VP Surt for an hour.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 16, 2014, 01:51:21 AM »
FENRIR you need better quality heals to get your precious HPs back

(Seriously why not +5? Is it so dangerous getting the extra two whatchamacallits to upgrade it all the way? ...Or did you just skip Rotten/OIK altogether?)

Re: Soul Nomad demon path, it's much shorter (~1/3 the missions I want to say?) and enemy levels ramp up in inverse proportion to its length. I actually had to do some grinding to get through it, but knowing you you'll just coast through underleveled wondering what the big deal's supposed to be. Either way, totally worth it for all the horrible horrible scenes that ensue.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1343 on: May 16, 2014, 06:25:53 AM »
Oh well. I guess I'm going for the good ending now? Except for the time when I didn't want to get shot first? I don't even care.

It's somewhat less by the numbers than that, FWIW.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1344 on: May 16, 2014, 06:33:48 AM »
Soul Nomad

Glad to hear you enjoyed it overall. It's certainly N1's strongest title to me. And it's nice to see them trying some new ideas. I hope they try this again in the future, but I'm not holding my breath. Fortunately for me, I do like the Disgaea formula so that's fine but I would not mind some other games in wholly different veins than the core series while still being SRPGs. Their roguelikes are interesting, but I'm not a huge RL fan. Alternately, I wouldn't mind seeing a non strategy RPG out of them. Arcadia looks promising as an ARPG, and Witch&TheHundredKnight is mixing things up a bit too, and supposedly has a Gig like main character. Haven't played them yet, but just wanting to point out that not everything N1 is doing is exactly like Disgaea and I'm glad you finally tried SN out.

If you wanted to find some more challenge in the game, you could try out the inspections. They are the main avenue for Grinding in SN. Admittedly, this is also the place where te game gets more Disgaea like, which may not be your cup of tea. It's just a different gaming mindset I think. I saw a cool comment on it the other day that I'm gonna dig up.

Disgaea is the game breaker's game. It's the systematization of abusing exploits in game mechanics. Are you the kind of person who when playing an RPG loves finding ways to go to places you shouldn't be able to go to yet and getting powerful equipment you shouldn't have yet? If you haven, or know people who do, then you know it usually goes two ways. one is people who then enjoy powering through the game, and two, those who having faced the challenge of doing something difficult they shouldn't have been able to do, wish the challenge would continue.

Disgaea serves both crowds. If you go out of your way to abuse game mechanics early, you can turn around and dominate the main game should you so choose to. Alternately, you can visit the dark assembly and request the difficulty of the game be brought up to your level, with higher exp and money payouts to go along with it.

Regardless, if you love exploiting game mechanics, the series is built so there is always something else hidden in the game waiting to be exploited.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 16, 2014, 07:31:20 AM »
Yeah that mindset doesn't really appeal to me at all. I never really investigated inspections after I figured out they were the game's method of grinding (and SN is pretty easy most of the time, why would I grind?).

I do actually kind of like breaking games (kinda. If they're broken to the point where they can't fight back at all they get boring fast) but grinding is like, the child's way of breaking games. I'm much more a fan of learning how best to make use of the tools available to me without grinding, since with the degree knowledge = power in RPGs this is pretty much always an option in all but the most primitive of entries into the genre. I have no issue with people who want to break games via grinding, and certainly Disgaea is a good vehicle for that, but it's not for me and of course a big part of why I rate Disgaea poorly and why it took me just shy of a decade (holy shit, has it really been that long?!) to play a second N1 game.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: May 16, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »
FENRIR you need better quality heals to get your precious HPs back

(Seriously why not +5? Is it so dangerous getting the extra two whatchamacallits to upgrade it all the way? ...Or did you just skip Rotten/OIK altogether?)

Yeah, I'm not grabbing the one near the Undead Purgatory (I've already lost twice because of the tricky jump) and the one behind OIK (Yes he scares me more than Smelter in a no death allowed run)

I also haven't fought RRA. (Or was it V?) Every other boss is dead though.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:00:23 AM by Fenrir »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: May 16, 2014, 08:28:09 AM »
As far as I'm concerned In N1 games either I power through the game normally but the mechanics are never really any interesting/good on their own, or I have to find the fastest way to grind among million ways to grind, which isn't really interesting either.

Also it's not fun to break a game when the game doesn't even pretend to care you won't break it.

So it's more of a Lose/Lose/Lose thing for me

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 16, 2014, 10:24:34 AM »
I also haven't fought RRA. (Or was it V?) Every other boss is dead though.

Given your build and Roguelike Souls I would see zero point in even trying RRA or RRV unless you really want the souls. Authority's a bastard and running to him offline means you get invaded by the awful awful dual-Avelyn phantom in a place where you have almost no capacity to dodge (I've recently discovered Rhoy turns up in Grave of the Saints if you're offline; if memory serves he is 100% PUGILISM SOULS, which is fearsome but not you know dual machineguns to the face). Vanguard is easy and at least gets you Toxic Mist but eh, no point if you haven't any Attunement.

Did you actually kill Darklurker or just skip that headache of a quest altogether like I usually do.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: May 16, 2014, 11:57:38 AM »
I always fight RRV really early on (He's usually the second or third boss I fight) for the extra souls.
Rhoy is actually pretty hard early on! And he's not using a fist weapon, he has an invisible weapon (probably a sword)
Edit: Wiki said he has a heavy crossbow +5 and a shotel +5. Bastard.

I actually went through all of the Door of Pharos because titanite chunks. Red phantom + Rat + Elephant is scary the first time, but the red phantom takes some time to get to you and isn't doing that much damage, and the elephant is slow. The rat is actually the biggest threat there but you can kill him pretty quickly.

RRA sounds too dangerous with no rewards though (Like 1 level worth of souls wooo)

I like the Darklurker sidequest but ahahahah NO. I didn't talk about it because I didn't consider it one second.
I'm not going to fight the king and the dragon either.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:40:15 PM by Fenrir »