Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183539 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #550 on: March 12, 2014, 12:07:14 AM »
26 deaths before I even fight a boss.  Swell.

Actually went with Swordsman duel-wield start myself.  It's been uh, "interesting".  Just sort of meandering at the start getting levels to get HP.  Picked up a new sword that might become cool though.

While I mean to not read much about stuff I haven't encountered yet...

...do let me know if you find a whip.

Info screens do say whips exist, so there's that.

Also the second boss has killed me like 20 times.  Many of them without me even landing a hit.  DARK SOULS 2!

The end of the day is still too far away. THE TRUE DARK SOULS BEGAN HERE.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 12, 2014, 12:13:27 AM »
Andrew died once trying to get his copy of Dark Souls II. Hardest game ever.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 12, 2014, 12:53:03 AM »
I think things have 50% more HP on hard?

25% boost to all stats, if the FAQs are correct. Regardless, I haven't even touched Hard mode and I've found the challenge very much fine.

My biggest problem with hard mode is that it made things a bit too luck reliant. Take the fight against the Summoner boss or the Wind Crystal guardian. An inopportune hit with confusion or a critical hit on normal mode is a setback, but on Hard mode it can be an almost guarenteed reset. I also like doing sidequests immediately, which was just a huge pain on Hard mode.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 12, 2014, 01:44:43 AM »
What Hard mode does is require you to alter your aetup to tailor it for fights that are particularly nasty. Summoner fight wasvery doable... just needed to prep fpr the turns that the MT nukes fly out.

Hard is a little odd in that it rebalances the cast ... Higher enemy attack makes the tanky PCs worse relative to the lightweights (though it can sometimes bring OHKOs up)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:50:21 AM by Pyro »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 12, 2014, 01:48:00 AM »
Mephillia is very predictable as well in her pattern. In fact, it's her support that makes her dangerous on normal, because MT 2HKO every three turns or so is kinda not so awesome with BD's easy-come MT healing.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 12, 2014, 02:20:39 AM »
Mephillia is very predictable as well in her pattern. In fact, it's her support that makes her dangerous on normal, because MT 2HKO every three turns or so is kinda not so awesome with BD's easy-come MT healing.
Yeah it's the confusion that makes the fight a pain. In normal, someone getting confused can force you to play defensive for a while, but that's about it. On  hard that Mt 2HKO is more like a MT 95% PCHP without default, if someone gets confused before the blast turn they're fucked unless they're like a knight or something with full health. The summon will one shot your squishier characters or come very close to it.

And again, the Wind Crystal fight on hard is irritating because a critical breath + normal breath can easily KO a mage through default.

Although granted, I'm still fairly early on in the game so I don't have too many defensive tricks. The next set of classes looks like it will have a lot more options to limit the extreme damage bosses do on hard.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:35:52 AM by dude789 »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 12, 2014, 03:07:36 AM »
Jesus Fudo what are you doing man. I've died once and it was to dogs in Limbo before I had any weapons. (Well okay three more times as a summon. But I don't count those. And two of them I got killed by friendly fire!) Edit: LET ME GUESS you were trying to kill the Obviously Too Bad For You Noobs big dudes in Limbo.

Killed first boss and did some unlocking of random doors. I don't even know what kind of build I'm going to wind up with at this point. See I was going to go with a swordsman and shoot for a light weapon + enchanter setup, but then I noticed that if I went explorer I'd get a nifty hat, a monocle, and a goddamned bird on my shoulder.

I prioritize responsibly.

Immediately the foolishness of this decision becomes apparent when I realize my starting weapon is the dagger. Oh my god it takes me a million hits to kill anything. So I grind out five levels so I can at least use the SHORTSWORD and then get a nifty lightning sword and chunk through more levels to use that. I don't like powerleveling but I like being unable to kill even less. Using this thing will probably become a bad habit just like lightning was in DS1. Oh well. Now levels are going into HP/stamina/carry weight instead. I want to access healing magic because healing is potentially kind of bitchy in this game, but I'd need to sink like ten levels into Attunement + Intelligence or Faith before I could even cast a single anything. Goddammit explorer! Why are you so bad.

(Okay it did let me grab a titanite slab & Cloranthy Ring early, latter being very nice to have practically out the door...but in the long run saving me four thousand souls on a key isn't that great a prize for starting with gimpy stats.)

I'm actually reminded a lot more of Demon's Souls by this than of Dark Souls 1. I wasn't a fan of Demon's Souls. Environments are sprawling fuckhuge zones with multiple bosses instead of basically self-contained linear area + 1 boss; healing is a fusion of both games' handling but so far finite resources play a bigger role than renewable ones due to the latter being so limited (and you can use anything as a phantom); losing max HP in hollow form is just ugh, was bad enough in Demon's Souls, being gradually phased in here is only moderately less annoying; control feels stiffer and less precise than I'm used to after way too much DS1 (granted, my starting armor set is too heavy for fast roll, and while I'm comfortable running around naked in DS1 because I've memorized the goddamn game, I'm not doing that in terra incognita). I'm trying not to be all they changed it now it sucks but there is some questionable design backsliding. Why do I need to button mash through dialogue again every time I want to level up?

Let's see, what other random stuff sticks out on first impression:

-Seems like dropping items now makes them vanish from reality. No more trading?

-Inventory management so much easier. God, finally guys.

-Dear god weapons degrade quickly in this game. My starting dagger actually broke before I reached the hub zone.

-Why does the blacksmith sell a finite number of titanite shards. Auuugh. I hope vendor inventories restock periodically or something.

-I found a regeneration ring but the item description makes me afraid to use it. Like it'll break or something.

-My starting gift was the petrified lump. Because always pick the most useless starting gift.

-One of the pre-order DLC weapons is a dead baby club. Like seriously straight up dead baby club.

-The global death counter is great.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:19:06 AM by El Cideon »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 12, 2014, 03:55:37 AM »
Bravely Default: Up to chapter 5 now. I've nothing to add about the gameplay mechanics to date, so instead here's some comments on the classes I've used significantly up through the end of C4. Right before the point of no return I did some level grinding for the Vampire quest dragons so my PCs could survive without relying completely on Utsesumi, so that feels like a good cutoff point for commenting.

Monk: Main heavyhitter earlygame, faded for a while due to Knuckles not upgrading much and then made a bit of a comeback when I got the Diamond Staff near the Fire Temple (S rank in Staff actually matters for once!). Skillset isn't the greatest, but Invigorate/Hidden Dragon/Qigong Wave all got decent amount of use againt bosses, while Pressure Point helped to OHKO some grunts who counter phyiscals. HP+10% and P Atk+10% have gotten a low of use as fillerish abilities.

White Mage: Main healer class in a game where MT healing is priceless, so it's pretty much the MVP class by default. Widen Area means it's not the only game in town, but it's definately the main one. Angelic Ward is a pretty nice support ability for 1 SP, the others I haven't gotten much use out of.

Black Mage: Hitting lots of weaknesses is nice and bypassing physical counters is situationally all-important, but I didn't feel like relying heavily on MP for randoms this run so I hybridized my WM and used attack magic sparingly with her instead of running someone as a primary attack mage; I'll have to give that a real shot if I even replay BD. Having passable offense in a pinch on my fourth PC was still important for one-rounding a number of randoms, plus the obvious counter-bypassing importance, so I still felt like I got a lot more milage out of BM than, say, Knight, which I ditched as soon as I got Spellfencer.

Knight: Two-Handed is practically free and I eventually got it on 3 separate PCs at separate points in time. Didn't use the class much otherwise, though.

Thief: I mainly used this for the A rank in Bows, to take advantage of Angel Bow ASAP. Never got much use out of steal/mug, but life steal was nice. Raid was kinda pointless until I got Crescent Moon; pumping out one more MT attack on every First Strike/+1 BP encounter was nice.

Spellfencer: FF5 Mystic Knight with an easier time applying elemental weakness vs randoms thanks to Brave. Drain and Sleep sword have their uses as well, and I like the balanced stats, at least for now. My personal favorite class to use to date.

Valkyrie: A class built around Jump, which always feel like a mixed bag in a fairly balanced team. All-jump team sounds like it might be fun (especially with Hasten World from Time Mage), but definately isn't something I'll go for on an initial playthrough. Crescent Moon, on the other hand, is great for pretty much any physical attacker, and singlehandedly justified running Acrobatics as a secondary skillset at times. Judgment is terrible for long term BP management but OHKOing randoms with frontloaded damage is nice at times, and Spirit Barrier is nice if you don't need the MP for something like Sword Magic and Qigong Wave.

Ninja: Great damage against non-tanky enemies and Utsusemi-Transience is amazing vs physical bosses, especially with Turn Tables from Red Mage and Comeback Kid thrown in for fun. Kairai is another option for all-ST bosses if you have a good tank to redirect everything to, but MT bosses are usually the real threat so it's not that great in practice. Frenetic Fighting sounds amazing on paper, but only at much higher levels than I'm at currently.

Spiritmaster: Holy One is outstanding, skyrocketing the MP efficiency of your healing for a penalty that's meaningless for most healers. The support moves like Fairy Ward and Greater Spirit Ward are really good as well, although the BP costs are generally too high to be abusive without BP pumping party setups that I don't have yet.

Templar: Too slow to be anything more than mediocre at damage, but the tanking capabilities are fantastic. Some of the offensive skills look like they'd be pretty nice if carried over to classes that aren't so dog slow, but with Dark Knight just obtained I have much more abusive combos on-paper to try out first.

Lots and lots of interesting classes and class combos that I haven't had a chance to try out yet. Salve-Maker looks especially potent on-paper, I just didn't feel like bothering with item management this run. Not sure how the rest of the game will fare, but I'm definately interested in replaying the first four chapters at least to try out some of the stuff I didn't use this time.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 12, 2014, 05:34:40 AM »
Soul Silver: Oh, right, Fireblast is storebought *gets for Magmar, proceeds to massacre Jasmine*

Ok, actually, Crocanaw did kill the Steelix, in an amusing method.  Surf twice, Sitrus Berry kicks in, and pushes Steelix into that really sweet range of still KO-able by Surf, but too high to consider using a Hyper Potion or whatever, so yeah, victory or something.

Time for the epic section that is...the Team Rocket stuff all the way up to Gym 8, where enemy levels are laughably bad, whoo?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 12, 2014, 06:06:51 AM »
(BD gameplay spoilers)

Mephilia's pet archer can be controlled be sleep (which I don't consider particularly obscure because hey those are randoms she is summoning, and non-undead randoms tend to be uniformly status-vulnerable), and there are storebought confuse blockers as well if Chaos Arrow is really ruining your day. While she is certainly a brutal fight on hard, I found her quite fair and not at all luck-reliant at all once I refined my strategy, in no large part because her own turns are completely non-random. Actually that's somewhat my experience with Bravely Default hard mode in general so far, the right strategy should remove all luck (and this is ignoring Norende).

Meanwhile I'm in Chapter 3. JP gains seem to have spiked up, which is kinda nice... let me grab Staff Lore for my main fighter since the best double-grippable weapon at the moment is a staff. Also I think I know what five classes I will be getting this chapter. And Ringabel = Alternis is seemingly confirmed, but my initial guess was a bit off.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 12, 2014, 09:55:09 AM »
Dark Souls 2: Beat the Last Giant. Pretty minimal deaths so far. The weapon durability thing came as a huge shock. Holy hell weapons wear out now.

Started soldier, also with Petrified Lump. Managed to get a Bastard Sword off one of the hollow soldiers, so woo.

No more dodge frames on rolls is REALLY throwing me off. Enemies are kind of interesting. Their individual hits don't seem too bad for the most part, but getting caught by certain attacks results in a LOT of damage as they combo you or knock you down or something.

Consumables are definitely super helpful, but now with three Estus flasks things are improving. Kinda burned through most of my Lifegems already, but they seem common enough as I've found a bunch more.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 12, 2014, 02:37:17 PM »
Meanwhile I'm in Chapter 3. JP gains seem to have spiked up, which is kinda nice... let me grab Staff Lore for my main fighter since the best double-grippable weapon at the moment is a staff. Also I think I know what five classes I will be getting this chapter.

JP gain spikes are pretty regular (and pretty huge!) in BD so far. This is particularly nice later on because all class JP requirements are uniformly the same. I'm at the end of C4 and the typical JP spill from a single random battle ranges from 200 to 300 - more if you're good at ending fights fast and efficiently. 300 JP jumps you straight from L1 to L4 within a -single- fight, for instance. It keeps job shuffling viable throughout.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 12, 2014, 03:39:56 PM »
Dark Souls 2: OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG From you beautiful bastards you take my everything.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 12, 2014, 08:58:39 PM »
Dark Souls 2: Beat the Last Giant. Pretty minimal deaths so far. The weapon durability thing came as a huge shock. Holy hell weapons wear out now.

It's crazy how quickly this happens. Combined with the three weapon slots, I am guessing the intent was to have the player rely on a broader array of weapons. But that runs afoul of the smith selling finite upgrade materials and my nasty suspicion that we might be looking a recursion of Demon's Souls appalling ore scarcity.

Then there's shields. Most classes don't start with one and I've yet to find one that blocks 100% of physical damage. Add to this the heaviness of starting armor and the implicit suggestion the player will need to carry multiple weapons (just in case) and I can only conclude the devs' intention was for players to try and dodge everything at medium/fat roll speeds. Which is a strange way of trying to upset the previous Dark Souls metagame (a laudable goal in itself, but also something that the changes in stat functions probably would've done anyway).

Listened to the OST in the car to/from work today. Incredibly disappointing. We are in stock Sakuraba territory except he mashes an orchestra instead of an organ. It apes the same basic style as the first game's music, except there's no sense of energy or dynamism to anything (with the notable exception of one direct holdover from DS1). It's like the directors told him, "Hey, we liked what you did in the last game, but can you make it less distinct and tuneful? We want vaguely menacing sounds that will loom blandly in the background and not draw attention in any way." There is nothing like the diversity of moods covered between Sif's theme, Gwyn's, Nito's; here, I cannot distinguish one song from the next. It's depressing to realize that once you've reached the first boss you have already heard everything the game has to communicate aurally, and to know that all I have to look forward to hearing all game is negligibly minor variations on the same combination of strings/tubas/drums/chorus. It saddens me how unmemorable it all is considering it was the soundtrack that made me want to play Dark Souls in the first place.

It is an established fact that I overemphasize the significance of music in games and movies, but it is difficult not to infer that the overall blandness of the soundtrack stems from uninspired source material. It really drives the nail into my developing impression that the game constitutes some longtime From Software staff looking at Dark Souls 1 and saying, "They changed it now it sucks." So they changed it back.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 12, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »

It's crazy how quickly this happens. Combined with the three weapon slots, I am guessing the intent was to have the player rely on a broader array of weapons. But that runs afoul of the smith selling finite upgrade materials and my nasty suspicion that we might be looking a recursion of Demon's Souls appalling ore scarcity.

I will say I haven't had too much trouble since I upgraded to a bastard sword. Weapon generally seems to be living from bonfire to bonfire without too much trouble. Will have to see how that holds up, though.

After talking with a friend, it appears I somehow completely avoided the Pursuer encounter despite being in the right area.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 12, 2014, 09:33:12 PM »
I found my first 100% shield after the second boss of forest of fallen giants.  Another 100% is near the Blue Sentinels.

The songs come across even worse when fighting the bosses.  I only heard my OMG boss clearly, everything else was minimalistic background tune.

In other news, the worldwide death counter broke 2,000,000 deaths in one day.  That's 83,334 deaths an hour, 1389 deaths a minute, and 23 deaths a second.  Dark Souls 2!

Dark Souls 2: Anyway, five bosses dead now: Last Giant, Jackass of the Forest, The Sentinels, OMG and Effortless Garbage.  Hopefully I'll have a sixth one down soon enough.  Completing the Bell Covenant invasion got me a titanite chunk for my one win.  My half-dozen had most end because Poise is garbage now and randomly leaping in another direction than my target when locked on.  These controls are so much worse than Dark Souls 1 except for the jumping.  My old standby of only bringing my shield up exactly when to block doesn't work because the animation gets locked for way too long after blocking something.  I had to switch to shields because the bosses are just unfun and dull frankly.  At least summoning is way, way better.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 12, 2014, 09:41:25 PM »
Listened to the OST in the car to/from work today. Incredibly disappointing. We are in stock Sakuraba territory except he mashes an orchestra instead of an organ. It apes the same basic style as the first game's music, except there's no sense of energy or dynamism to anything (with the notable exception of one direct holdover from DS1). It's like the directors told him, "Hey, we liked what you did in the last game, but can you make it less distinct and tuneful? We want vaguely menacing sounds that will loom blandly in the background and not draw attention in any way." There is nothing like the diversity of moods covered between Sif's theme, Gwyn's, Nito's; here, I cannot distinguish one song from the next. It's depressing to realize that once you've reached the first boss you have already heard everything the game has to communicate aurally, and to know that all I have to look forward to hearing all game is negligibly minor variations on the same combination of strings/tubas/drums/chorus. It saddens me how unmemorable it all is considering it was the soundtrack that made me want to play Dark Souls in the first place.

It is an established fact that I overemphasize the significance of music in games and movies, but it is difficult not to infer that the overall blandness of the soundtrack stems from uninspired source material. It really drives the nail into my developing impression that the game constitutes some longtime From Software staff looking at Dark Souls 1 and saying, "They changed it now it sucks." So they changed it back.
That's a shame about the soundtrack. I'm not a fanof Sakuraba at all, but I felt that Dark Souls really emphasized his strengths as a composer. Shame that the music is more generic. I wouldn't mind bringing back the Demon Souls composer either. A lot of the boss themes in that game reminded me of something you might here in a 1960s Greek/Roman epic movie, but it worked pretty well for the game.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:43:19 PM by dude789 »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 12, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
Sakuraba on sequels "I have to do the same thing again?  Zzzzzzzzzzz mode engage"

Pokedudes X - I need to rotate guys more often, I sunk into a team that doesn't evolve and they are all stupid high level.  Just beat Fairy gym after spending way too long running around Lumiose City for a few days working at hotel and ranking up price reduction O Power so that I can max out my style and then find out I want to spend half a million dollars on an outfit.  #girlproblems
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 12, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »
I heard that weapons all have very low durability but are automatically repaired at bonfires unless broken.
Back to trying to ignore posts.

FF7 Hard: Is the boat the shortest real dungeon in an RPG?
There is a save point.
There is a shop.
There are two different random enemies, that you don't see anywhere else. And three different random battle fomations.
The dungeon is two rooms big including one room you've already visited before. You can go from the savepoint at the beginning to the boss in like 10 seconds and the only thing of note is one little side trip that gets you one item.

Nanaki/Yuffie/Cloud worked very well but now they've unlocked their level 2 limits and those suuuck.
They're all fighter/healer/mages, but Nanaki is the magiest (He gets ALL-POIZN!!), Yuffie is the fighteriest (with auto-haste shoes and a thunder elemental physical) and Cloud is Support/Steal/Sense and stuff. Mostly.

Bosses aren't that good but ATB weirdness and status can make them terrifying. Usually things go well as the team unleashes a barrage of elemental magic on the boss, then the boss uses Stop and kill another PC or something and I spend like 10 turns healing and defending in panic. I sometimes have to kill then revive allies, so the extremely delibitating and long lasting status they have goes away.

Edit: Kaim flashback + Junon = :(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:33:49 PM by Fenrir »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 13, 2014, 03:43:14 AM »
Dark Souls 2: Anyway, five bosses dead now: Last Giant, Jackass of the Forest, The Sentinels, OMG and Effortless Garbage.  Hopefully I'll have a sixth one down soon enough.  Completing the Bell Covenant invasion got me a titanite chunk for my one win.  My half-dozen had most end because Poise is garbage now and randomly leaping in another direction than my target when locked on.  These controls are so much worse than Dark Souls 1 except for the jumping.  My old standby of only bringing my shield up exactly when to block doesn't work because the animation gets locked for way too long after blocking something.  I had to switch to shields because the bosses are just unfun and dull frankly.  At least summoning is way, way better.

The stickiness of the controls is just maddening. How in the world did we get a less polished game when they had such a smooth template for movement and combat in its predecessor? Like, I bought a rapier, right? Because I wanted a backup weapon in case lightning sword broke, and rapier's B-rank in DEX gets me passable damage. I try it out, decide I like the thrusting attack, dump the last available ores (because the blacksmith sells only a finite amount goddammit people fucking really, this shit again?) Then I try it on actual enemies and see it constantly fly like three feet off the mark even locked on. What the frigging christ? I am locked on and facing my target, why are you turning 30 degrees to try and stab that target. And there's all this piddly shit like lock-on staying tagged to dead enemies just a split-second longer than you want it to and augh why. ::effort::

Even the intro! I mean, I don't expect story in these games, right? But at least you knew what you were up against in previous installments, there was some semblance of a task and an ominous presence or four that you were presumably going to have to do something about. DS2 intro is just all, "There was this kingdom and it was ruled by a king. Crazy coincidence, huh? Anyway, that place is all fucked up now and cursed people are drawn to it for some reason. You're Gimbels cursed! So get on that." Why am I even going anywhere? At least some random dude told me to do this specific shit last time!

Okay I'm done complaining for today. Actual game progress stuff: got a pretty good guess what OMG is just based on that one recycled tune in the OST. Accurate?

Anyway, Sentinels are down. Still haven't died in my world! (Phantom deaths: probably a dozen or so. Admittedly I use summoned mode to scout things out once I'm far into a zone and start wondering whether that next fog gate is a boss door or just another area transition). That said: that was a bitch of a fight even with too much grinding behind me, and if not for the explorer bonus of 6x aromatic ooze doubling my damage output, I almost certainly would've failed. I needed every one of those just because difficulty in finding any window to attack (this would've been much easier if the first sentinel hadn't fallen off the damn platform before I could kill it).

I dumped half of my reward on the Fall Control ring (falling damage is really a thing in this game). Fudo, I'm just going to go ahead and ask rather than perform the experiment myself: know if this makes jumping down the pit in Majula safe?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:47:03 AM by El Cideon »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: March 13, 2014, 04:19:12 AM »
Heh, El Cid, your thoughts on DS2's soundtrack remind me eerily of mine on DS1's.

More Xenogears!

Hour 24: The party returns to the Ethos HQ so that Billy can file his report and... oh shit stuff is happening! Wandering the halls we learn that someone has ordered a purge of the Ethos. The party guts a few assassins without learning who they are working for. Finally, they reach the mainframe computer of the facility. (And while it sounds odd for a church to have one of these, in fairness the Ethos is the church of technology, more or less.)

We learn several things here, written in Solarian (as a nice touch, Elly has to translate... obviously Citan could too, but well y'know). One, Ethos has been supplying Solaris with much of their salvage, making it clear that they're just another arm of the empire. This pretty much confirms that Solaris has absolutely manipulated both countries and caused their war. We also learn that they've been using the battler data of Kislev and information on the demihumans there as part of their research. And finally we learn that Shakhan is, secretly, still an active agent of Ethos. As Citan says, "the plot thickens", although for Kislev it's really more a form of closure at this point.

The immediate concern is that Ethos is a client organisation of Solaris. Shortly after, Billy's immediate superior, Verlaine, shows up and confirms that Solaris itself is behind the attack on Ethos. It seems that Ethos wasn't a very good little client organisation and was secretly witholding much of their salvaged technology in order to make a stand for world domination, baby. It seems a questionable decision on their part (since how would they reasonably compete with Solaris unless they got one hell of a trump card), but I can still buy it readilly enough as Ethos was powerful enough that some of them probably got too powerhungry. Also, they may have in fact had a trump card, as they had secretly discovered Zeboim, which is pretty much the height of technology in the history of this world.

But too late for them; Solaris figured out their betrayal and has eliminated them. Verlaine blathers for a shocking while for a minor PC, revealing his disgust for Ethos, which in a bit of a real world callback, had sheilded child-molesting priests. And further, we learn that the leader of the Solarians who are purging the church is none other than Bishop Stone, Billy's mentor. Swerve. We find this out because he murders his underling Verlaine for talking too much, just to establish that yes this guy is a colossal dick.

Stone goes on to talk about how faith is all a big lie and that Billy should feel bad. He also reveals he has more terrible things to tell Billy but is too big a jerk to say now. Billy in general is obviously incredibly shaken by this and I have a hard time not feeling for him. Despite some bad things that Ethos was involved in, Billy was a true believer, and from the dying cries of some of the people you find in the church, he was far from alone. As hard as the game is on the church here, it at least paints a pretty glowing picture of faith itself, which is a little relieving (especially in contrast to the bungling Xenosaga has of the issue) and makes sense in the context of Japanese approach to such things.

Jessie also shows up. It's revealed that Stone is his "rival" though not really more than that yet. Needless to say, Jessie turns out to be on the side of good, opposed to the evil Solarian agents of Ethos. At this point Stone decides that maybe fighting a whole lot of people at once is a bad idea so he runs away in a giant, named gear. I'm sure we won't have to fight that soon!

Meanwhile, things are going from bad to worse, as Solaris makes an overt attack on the Thames. We see the Gazel ordering it, and speaking their thoughts on the Ethos (a bunch of foolish greedy mortals... of course the Gazel want the things they want but they have GOOD REASONS trust them). We also meet Krelian, who is established as man extremely interested in the technology of Zeboim. For now, he seems a decidely evil (he orders reapers to be released on the Thames as part of the attack) but also competent, in a bit of a contrast to Ramsus. I actually quite like him in his early scenes; too bad with the direction they end up going with him.

Fortunately, though, Krelian isn't too interested in destroying the Thames fleet, just crippling it so it can't compete with his salvage operation in Zeboim. We learn that Ethos had recently ordered them to go participate in the slavage of Zeboim, so I guess Krelian really doesn't like competition. Fair enough, you dick.

The party decides that it wants what Solaris wants, and so heads for Zeboim. En route, we get a scene between Grahf and Miang, who apparently don't want to be outdone by the appearance of this new villain. Miang reveals that there is something in Zeboim which both Grahf and Miang need (i.e. nanotechnology), and entreats him to go get it. This line is interesting. Miang wants the nanomachine colony because it is part of the plan to get Deus operational again (same reason Krelian does), but Grahf? Though it's never stated and not explored further, I have to imagine that he has inherited memories of one of his past selves... the father of Emeralda. And doesn't want to see that handed over. Though I'm not certain how his motive syncs up with Miang's in this case. Regardless, he too heads for Zeboim...

Hours 25-26: Into Zeboim. I take Billy and Elly with me, which matters for story reasons. As advertised, Zeboium is a ruined city, although for now we only explore a research lab, after one view of the city. Visually they probably could have done a better job of presenting this, but so it goes.

This is really more of a gameplay section, despite the significance of the location; Zeboim is probably the largest on-foot dungeon thus far in the game, and features two of the game's more competent on-foot boss fights (though this isn't really saying much). The first is against Tolone and Seraphita. They come across as comic relief bosses: Seraphita remarks on Tolone's quick thinking due to her "gin and tonic futon brain" while Tolone just hopes some of the game doesn't get in trouble for cribbing things from "Star Trech". That said Elly identifies them as dangerous, elite fighters, and they do in fact live up to that pretty well.

Also interesting to note, when Elly arrives at the core of the research lab, she starts acting really weird, both remembering the password to get in and freaking out about blood and death. The game designers definitely want us to feel the magnitude of what is here, even though it's not obvious for now, as it's just... a green-haired girl who for now doesn't even appear to be conscious. Stone shows up and reveals that she is a nanomachine. He also has some unique dialogue with Billy here. Interestingly he's still quite interested in getting Billy on his side and tries to convince him that what Solaris is doing is just. He uses some arguments based on the Ethos creed that "only the chosen will be saved". Billy does the perfect choir boy equivalent of flipping him off, saying that he believes everyone should have a chance of becoming "the chosen" through faith, not just Stone and his buddies. Unfortunately, Stone still escapes (again!) with Emeralda because Tolone and Seraphita cover his retreat. They reveal that they don't give a shit about Stone or his boss Krelian, but that they're loyal to Ramsus.

Meanwhile, Fei wakes up, and we get a cutscene of two people looking like Fei and Elly in Zeboim, as soldiers besiege their lab, and the Elly lookalike talks about not handing her child over. Creepy scenes occur with a creepy child appearing to awake and the cross neckalce. We've seen this before and it's never good...

The party chases Stone all the way out of the research facility and back into the city, catching up with him there. But oh shit, Id shows up! This is actually the first time he gives his name. He insists Stone return the nanomachine colony. But for some reason, rather than fight Stone, he fights the party (at least he is nice enough to get out of his gear first). This never made sense to me and still doesn't! Needless to say Stone escapes after the fight (for a third time!). The fight itself is interrupted as Wiseman shows up and engages with Id, so the party can escape chasing after Stone once more, but too late...

The previous scene offered yet more evidence for Fei = Id, which anyone more savvy than younger me who first played the game should really have picked up by this scene if not previously, but it's also noteworthy for the first solid Wiseman = Grahf evidence. And both have a connection to Emeralda... the parallels are certainly increasing!

Hour 27: The party returns to the Yggdrasil, and finds Fei in the gear hangar. Interesting! Of course it's brushed off as Fei just walking around confused shortly after awakening.

Meanwhile, after Stone has dogged our steps and generally been a big ol' dick, it's time for the throwdown with him. Okay, cool, 'sup Stone... wait. Wait wait wait.

What the FUCK happened to your face, bro? I mean Grahf even shows up and grants him "the power" a moment after his appearance (this time, it manifests as an invicible barrier instead of the power boost it was for Vanderkaum) but that's not nearly as weird as Stone's face.

He says he got a new body. I guess it... makes him better at piloting gears? Something? I dunno man, Stone seemed kinda sane if very evil, now he just comes across as weird as fuck. His personality's not much different, though. He finally tells Billy the secret he was holding: that reapers are in fact just humans which Solaris has modified with experiments (which, incidentally, were homeless humans Billy had "rescued" and sent into Ethos care)... so in fact Billy has been killing humans all this time! Ha-HA! Stone furthermore reveals that he always desired Billy's mother until she was "dirtied" by Jesiah, and that the reason he adopted and raised Billy was to make him suffer by having a pious, kind man like him butcher all those reapers HUMANS! Oh Stone, you charmer.

Jessie shows up and actually does a pretty good job of cheering Billy up, pointing out that in a way he was "saving" the reapers, who lived in agony and could only find release in death. He also rides a mech which turns into a gun which Billy fires... and apparently Jessie is in the bullet, killing him! Whoa. Citan tries to warn him but does so only just too late. Fortunately, the attack destroys Stone's barrier, so the party can take him out. Stone becomes the first actually important (if secondary) villain to bite the dust. I guess he was only really a villain for less than 3 hours, but he was a memorable one.

The party does a sendoff for Jessie... which Jessie breaks up by showing up still alive. Billy gained the ability to use that attack as often as he wants! Well I guess given his opinion of his dad, maybe he won't feel so bad about doing so.

At this point, the party needs a new objective, and it gets one. Jessie finally reveals why he's been away all this time... he learned about the reaper experiments (and reveals Krelian to be their author) and its connection to Ethos. He also reveals that the key scientist who participated in the plan sent his daughter and gear away with information on the project, so he spent all this time trying to track her down. ... A bit weird but it wouldn't be Jessie if it didn't kind of rub me the wrong way. Anyway, he reveals that he believes that girl is in Shevat. Well, what isn't at this point?

A Shevat agent who had been captured by Ethos and saved during the crisis now pipes up, confirming the presence of the girl, Maria, but not knowing much more... and in particular, not knowing how to get back to Shevat herself. (Inconvient...) She suggests climbing the Tower of Babel, which is where Shevat used to be located and still -maybe- has the ability to communicate with it. Quite a climb for a maybe, but a now-healthy Fei is psyched to go to Shevat and learn more about himself, and it's not like they have anything better to do. So off they go. Terrible platforming awaits!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:42:17 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 13, 2014, 05:23:54 AM »
The stickiness of the controls is just maddening. How in the world did we get a less polished game when they had such a smooth template for movement and combat in its predecessor? Like, I bought a rapier, right? Because I wanted a backup weapon in case lightning sword broke, and rapier's B-rank in DEX gets me passable damage. I try it out, decide I like the thrusting attack, dump the last available ores (because the blacksmith sells only a finite amount goddammit people fucking really, this shit again?) Then I try it on actual enemies and see it constantly fly like three feet off the mark even locked on. What the frigging christ? I am locked on and facing my target, why are you turning 30 degrees to try and stab that target. And there's all this piddly shit like lock-on staying tagged to dead enemies just a split-second longer than you want it to and augh why. ::effort::

The ores still haven't replenished by my point; though a covenant dude sells the lightning ore unlimited.  Just need to find out where to turn weapons lightning to make that usable!

The lock-on is at its absolute worst when you're using a big honking two-hander and missing means a gigantic recovery.

Even the intro! I mean, I don't expect story in these games, right? But at least you knew what you were up against in previous installments, there was some semblance of a task and an ominous presence or four that you were presumably going to have to do something about. DS2 intro is just all, "There was this kingdom and it was ruled by a king. Crazy coincidence, huh? Anyway, that place is all fucked up now and cursed people are drawn to it for some reason. You're Gimbels cursed! So get on that." Why am I even going anywhere? At least some random dude told me to do this specific shit last time!

Emerald Herald says you should meet the king but that's about it.

Okay I'm done complaining for today. Actual game progress stuff: got a pretty good guess what OMG is just based on that one recycled tune in the OST. Accurate?

OMG uses a new song.  I think I know where the recycle is at though.  Gonna try it tomorrow because it's one of only two paths left open to me at the moment and both scare me.

Anyway, Sentinels are down. Still haven't died in my world! (Phantom deaths: probably a dozen or so. Admittedly I use summoned mode to scout things out once I'm far into a zone and start wondering whether that next fog gate is a boss door or just another area transition). That said: that was a bitch of a fight even with too much grinding behind me, and if not for the explorer bonus of 6x aromatic ooze doubling my damage output, I almost certainly would've failed. I needed every one of those just because difficulty in finding any window to attack (this would've been much easier if the first sentinel hadn't fallen off the damn platform before I could kill it).

You're on track to get the ring reward for no deaths in a playthrough!

I dumped half of my reward on the Fall Control ring (falling damage is really a thing in this game). Fudo, I'm just going to go ahead and ask rather than perform the experiment myself: know if this makes jumping down the pit in Majula safe?

Yeah, just did it myself recently.  Now, is whatever's in the pit safe?  That's for you to discover Mwahahahahaha.

Wordwide Death Counter Day 2: 5.4 million.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 13, 2014, 06:23:20 AM »
I always liked Id's dialogue in that scene.  XG is occasionally too wordy and bland for its own good, so Id was short and to the point.  "You have something that's mine...  give it back."  That said...

But for some reason, rather than fight Stone, he fights the party (at least he is nice enough to get out of his gear first). This never made sense to me and still doesn't! Needless to say Stone escapes after the fight (for a third time!). The fight itself is interrupted as Wiseman shows up and engages with Id, so the party can escape chasing after Stone once more, but too late...

I just watched the scene again ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cirQD3cIWa8 ).  Yeah the fight doesn't make tons of sense, but they don't even set it up, it just goes to fighting - so it's plausible to even assume that Citan is picking the fight?  Or that Id thinks he's such a badass he can handle both sides at once.  In fairness, Wiseman interrupts, then Stone runs off - it's implied I guess that after some warm-up fisticuffs with the party, Id would probably have smashed up Stone and taken Emeralda if Wiseman hadn't been there to intervene.  Anyway, good stuff.

The Jessie Cannon twist was really stupid and blatantly a writer going "we need a fake heroic sacrifice to show Jessie's a good guy and I love giant robot special attacks so let's combine them nonsensically" bit, but it also doesn't really matter or is ever brought up again, so I'll let XG off the hook on that one.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 13, 2014, 06:45:17 AM »
Dark Souls 2:  Started.  Deprived/No Gift/Not using the DLC items because this is Frue Dark Souls.  I smash things like Hulk with my unbeatable two-handed fist technique.

Highlight so far:  crawled into a coffin and grew breasts.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 13, 2014, 10:16:45 AM »
You're on track to get the ring reward for no deaths in a playthrough!

Are you kidding. That's a real thing? I did die to dogs in Limbo once pre-chargen, so that's probably already out. The important thing for my priorities was that I haven't died while human (because that means I still have full max HP goddammit people why did you have to pull this punitive crap again again).

Yeah, just did it myself recently.  Now, is whatever's in the pit safe?  That's for you to discover Mwahahahahaha.

I'm sure that can't end badly considering I almost died to the pigs hanging around the pit when I first arrived in Majula. (Not badass mecha boar, you guys. Regular runty little piglets. That is how bad dagger and starting explorer stats are).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:21:58 AM by El Cideon »