Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183416 times)

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #525 on: March 10, 2014, 09:46:22 PM »
Bravely Default - Up to what I assume is the C2 boss; it is a bastard. I approve.

Are you talking about the Watery looking guy? I'm doing it on normal because Hard was just too frustrating for me so things will be different, but I found that a Mage Knight with 2 hands could just demolish his hp. If you use Examine on him before he splits, you can keep track of which one is the real one too, although the copies hp was low enough that 2 Crescent Moons from a Valkyrie and some a MT Thundara were enough to wipe them. Obviously in hard they would probably have too much hp for that, but I think having a Summoner Brave 3-4 times should be enough. Also, you might want to look into beelining towards the special moves from the town builder minigame. I think hard was sort of balanced around using them before you get some of the crazier class options.

In none handheld games: Earth Defense Force 2025! This game is amazing and everyone should experience it.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 10, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
Oh Fudo, you also probably haven't died to a vagrant >_>
So do Shiva and Ninjabro disappear forever from your game if you fight them and lose?

I'll have to wait until monday for DS2. Avoiding everything until then.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #527 on: March 10, 2014, 10:15:43 PM »
After chapter 4 there's fewer dungeons.  I also turned off encounters and just turned them back on at +100% if I needed to level (or more often, get money) at around that point: I ended up having to do major grinding to finish the last sidequest in C4, and subsequently had enough levels for C5 and 6 on that alone more or less.  So some of it is playstyle, but the later chapters are legitimately a lot shorter with or without sidequests.

I should note I played the entire game on Normal, which turned out around where I like RPG difficulty; punishes screwups and bosses might take a few tries to work out strategies, but very little chance of wiping out of nowhere and very rarely roadblocking you for sheer levels even on harder fights.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:17:50 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 10, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »
@ Meeple I don't know about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-hByduxuU4&list=UUN_Z2daAn2_YX2c03vEog4A

I am having fun. Tales/Star Ocean are mostly about gameplay for me so I don't mind getting the battle boots on for them. Mind you I'm sure there's things I haven't discovered yet and I can tweak/improve on things next time through too~

I saw the thing with the coffee. Neat. Lloyd seems to be agreeing with me overall mostly so far, and he's even been in my party the full game so far (barring alternative teams in forced team splits) breaking my don't using the main character if possible first run rule. I miiight still switch him out later but we'll see.

Currently still rolling with Colette, Lloyd, Kratos, Sheena, been to get Undine and heal Pietro, can go to Tower of Salvation now, but going to do some optional stuffs (dunno if I'll put Genis and/or Raine in any or not)~ 

Sheena is slowly growing on me after the rocky start (I am a sap and it doesn't take much to break me)~

(did you do Emotive Pianoist and the play yet :))
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:38:51 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 10, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
Oh Fudo, you also probably haven't died to a vagrant >_>
So do Shiva and Ninjabro disappear forever from your game if you fight them and lose?

I'll have to wait until monday for DS2. Avoiding everything until then.

Can't die to nothing I haven't seen!  Or however that goes.

Nah, once they're in-game they're there to stay.  If you die to them in Blighttown they'll move back to the Forest though apparently.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 10, 2014, 11:01:48 PM »
(gameplay spoiler warning, woo)

Bravely Default - Up to what I assume is the C2 boss; it is a bastard. I approve.

Are you talking about the Watery looking guy? I'm doing it on normal because Hard was just too frustrating for me so things will be different, but I found that a Mage Knight with 2 hands could just demolish his hp. If you use Examine on him before he splits, you can keep track of which one is the real one too, although the copies hp was low enough that 2 Crescent Moons from a Valkyrie and some a MT Thundara were enough to wipe them. Obviously in hard they would probably have too much hp for that, but I think having a Summoner Brave 3-4 times should be enough. Also, you might want to look into beelining towards the special moves from the town builder minigame. I think hard was sort of balanced around using them before you get some of the crazier class options.

I think things have 50% more HP on hard? That said you kinda hit on a lot of my ultimate strategy, Two-hand Thundara Spellblade Crescent Moon x2 to wipe the minions immediately was a big part, and of course I examine everything - knowing when you can afford to brave-blitz a boss is crucial. The real issue with the fight on Hard is that Dark Flow does 900+ MT default-ignoring damage which is nuts; I used a combination of Protect, Spirit Barrier, and my lone Ice Charm to make it doable. Onto chapter 3!

I had assumed Norende was part of the weird online nonsense which pervades most games these days; maybe I should actually look into it...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:04:13 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 10, 2014, 11:06:18 PM »
Bravely Default: Beaten all the way through. Final level was ~80 something and at ~70 hours.

The main plot past chapter 6 disappears or is worthless. I strongly suggest avoiding/ignoring it by doing a certain act at the last available point in C6. The (Blue exclamation marked) sidequests however are great stuff, as in Chapter 7 and Chapter 8 they become more unique and challenging. Chapter 8 especially features some of the nastiest JRPG enemy setups I've seen.

Spoilers for plot.

The good points of Bravely Default's plot are the solid execution of the relatively 'ordinary' story in World 1 and the character interaction/development therein. The Duchy is painted as clearly wrong and the game doesn't try to equivocate on this point too much. The Summoner sidequest is a pretty good example of the solid execution, eschewing a happy ending in favor of a darker one more consistent with the story of that chapter. In general, the characters discuss their actions with each other and they respond to situations in some fairly flawed but understandable ways, which is especially apparent in Chapter 3. Edea is charming and amusing as a character (often saying what the player is probably thinking), Agnes is rather believable as you get acquainted with her and is far from a 'perfectly nice girl' that someone in her archetype normally gets shoehorned into, and Ringabel is rather endearing in his constant stream of jokes (except for a stint in chapter 2 where JRPG boob-joke flaws rear their ugly heads). Tiz is just kind of there, and wasn't worked on very well at all.

I greatly enjoyed paging through D's notebook, even if it proved too much of a spoiler for the most part (it's very very easy to guess it's Alternis Dim's early in the game, as well as what that and the late writings in it entail). The book helped with Alternis' characterization.

The big flaws in Bravely Default plot is... well let's get it out of the way. The 'multiple worlds' thing is not handled well past Chapter 6. At all. The game just kinds of goes two iterations without any discussions at all, despite very big causes for concern amongst the PCs. And then the entire final sequence is just flat out retarded and makes no sense. This is especially bad in comparison to a fairly competent 'bad end' storyline which retains Airy as the primary villain. She works much better as one than the Space Flea Ouroboros (whose design sucks, by the way). The game would have been better served by even more focus on the pre-C6 plot rather than including this silliness at the end. (The final battle music is pretty good though)

More minor flaws include the fact that the villains could have solved the problems WAY more easily had they not been dumbarses and insisted on keeping their mouths shut about what they knew in regards to the situation. Also the failure of Duchy forces to recognize Ringabel as Alternis. Why was this never touched upon? Little things here and there prove to be annoying. And the 'True' ending featured living alternate Light Warriors, which made no sense as there was only 1 Airy who was implied to have killed all the other Light Warriors in the worlds she had been to.

Bravely Default's battle system and job system have gotten a lot of praise and for good reason... So I'll just give classes a lowdown of how I thought of them.

Freelancer: A fairly useless skillset and no good reason to be a carrier class, except for the analyze skill! Being able to see boss HP is useful because it lets you decide when to go balls-to-the-wall offense and take them down by going negative on BP. It would have been nice to have this be a 1-point passive skill option, but you have to dedicate one of your 8 skillsets to it, which is unfortunate! Otherwise the Freelancer has the 'raise probabilities of chance-based skills by 1.5x' which can be fairly cool if utilized correctly, and the ultimate skill, Mime, which does the traditional set of allowing you to use a skill that someone else has without actually having the skillset, OR you can quadra-act something nasty and only pay the price for it once. Finally the class gets a decent passive skill in the ability to survive otherwise fatal attacks with 1 HP at a 75% chance (assuming they were not already at 1 HP). But the cost is 3 Ability Points, so it is quite expensive. The default passive class skill is only useful at endgame, and only very, very slightly useful... washed away by the lack of S's in offensive weaponry. Oh, and Earned JP up is still rather cool for mastering more classes faster.

Monk: A competent enough physical class. Being able to use combat saves means that you can have a solid physical slugger who doubles as a healer with an awesome MT healing/revive/MP restore/BP+ move! The early skills are a bit of a turnoff though, and the lack of good defense hurts even if it is offset by the high HP. The ultimate skills are amusing in the sense that you sacrifice all semblance of defense/equipment versatility for raw amazing attack power. The passive class ability honestly feels kind of wasted when good fists are available for puchase.

White Mage: It is a healer class. You want one, possibly two of these ability sets. White Mage's buffs are rather pitiful (ST 25% Pdef/Mdef for all of 4 turns, oh wow), but Dispel and Esunga are priceless, and competent MT healing is highly desirable. The damage is lackluster to say the least, lacking elemental variety and magic attack power/damage buffing skills. Default passive skill is rather worthless (heal status on winning battles), but the "Angelic Ward' skill you learn is sweet and serves to improve team survivability by a lot!

Black Mage: Elemental canons with status. Early on the MP-reliance hurts a lot since MP restoration is harder to come by. Lategame (especially after learning Pierce M.Def) they turn into impressive damage dealers without much setup/fuss. Their skill to group-cast magic that is normally ST only can be rather cool when combined with other magic types... MT Reraise? MT Reflect? MT Dispel? MT Quick... several possibilities. That magic defense ignoring skill is where the damage is at, though.

Knight: Two-handed makes for an awesome offense skill and is easy to learn. Beyond that Knights tank rather well and Stomp does good damage. The "two Shields" skill makes for a neat way to improve raw and elemental durability on casters/healers/utility builds.

Thief: Speed boosting abilities are always useful and that is what Thieves do. Stealing doesn't usually get you too much good stuff. Beyond that they make surprisingly good damage dealers because Bows are a fantastic weapon type. Their utility skills (Rob Life, basically) isn't bad because Parasitic healing is always cool. Mostly the class is good for speed boosting skills that you can set up how you see fit.

Merchant: Generally a weak class, to be honest. They are for money boosting really, which I'll admit is something you probably do want some of, but as combat PCs they aren't terribly good. Special mention DOES go out to their second-to-last skill, Low Leverage, which reduces all damage dealt/healing done by 50% for friend and foe alike for 5 turns. When facing down enemies that multi-act and have lots of damage, this sort of skill is a godsend. It is rather endgame for use however, as attempting to use it a lot may just prolong otherwise faster battles you would win anyway.

Spell Fencer: Nail weakness on enemies more commonly, and inflict statuses  with fair accuracy, all while saving on the MP a Black Mage would expend... the Spell Fencer is an appealing class. The Brave/Default system makes them much better for blitzing then the Magic Knight ever was in FF5, since one spell followed by three blades in a single turn makes for much better quick offense. Drain Sword is a nice way to keep afloat for physical classes too.  Generally a competent class.

Time Mage: Time Mage was one of FF5's best classes, but here it is rather underwhelming. Time SLip would make for a better support ability if Autosave wasn't on and bosses didn't have save points before them all. The speed boosting doesn't generally last long enough (4 turns) and there are other ways of getting what you need on that front. The damage could be good if it is twinked for but it isn't something to write home about.

Summoner: The MT magic damage canon of many elements, but Summoner's MP costs are prohibitive early without some kind of gimmick and the damage late isn't something you write home about. Still probably a good randomsmashing class with the right setup. Passive skills aren't worth discussing.

Hunter: ST damage class. The accuracy boost is nice and the skillset allows for plentiful Bow specials (anytime you hit weakness) but ST damage is all the class really brings to the table. I mentioned Bows were good weapons in this game (albeit you eschew a shield, an innate 2-hand property of the weapon type) and Hunters bring an S in that weapon. Does great damage throughout the midgame, although not having a skill to hit weakness against humans is a pain (stuck with a 1.25x mult instead of 1.5x, and no bonus to the Super-move count for bows).

Valkyrie: An interesinting variety of Dragoon that does nice things with MT physical damage. Jumping is always kind of a mixed bag. It could be rather nice if you set it up on multiple PCs I'll grant, as the damage on it ranges from "Quite solid" to "WTF". It is all ST and that 'losing a PC for 1-3 turns is a turnoff. But it still has that MT physical skill, which is good for randomsmashing. The default passive ability is rather decent as well.

Red Mage: Red Mage has a series of interesting passive abilities, but the primary skillset kind of blows. White/Black magic up to L4, when L5 and L6 are where you want to be at endgame. Still it is competent enough at physical offense, and some of the passives make very nice combos with other classes, such as negating MP costs below 20% HP and getting +1 BP whenever an attack is dodged. The default '25% chance of +1 BP whenever receiving an attack works WAY better on the enemy end than the PC end.

Salve-Maker: Bravely Default's Chemist. All of the job's abiltieis are geared towards item usage and it kind of rocks. Skills to double healing effectiveness (that is the default spend-no-points skill!), Auto-Potion, Auto-Phoenix (Phoenix Down as a free action if someone is KOd when you take a turn, and this has no detriment on their BP so is the best revival there is!), can use any regular item MT for an extra BP, has plentiful ITD damage of any element that ranges from astounding (when you first get it) to competent (at post-lategame) and costs only 400pg a shot, stat buffs, mt revival, can grant ST one-element immunity or force a weakness on an enemy ... And the class IS a healing class, with full revival, MP restoration, and ST HP healing. The only thing the class is lacking is infliction of status ailments and more MT options. Truly a ridiculous class, this one.

Pirate: Single-target physical damage and debuffs are what you'll find here. They have means of blowing MP to do lots of damage but this is generally a bad idea (1/4 or 1/2 max MP a shot for a 2x or 4x damage attack). Combine it with some kind of 'zero MP cost' trick and you have yourself a mean damage dealing machine. But they are slow, and their preferred weapon (axes) are inferior to swords on account of lower accuracy/speed/hits. The debuffs are nice, but the really competent ones (-25% enemy attack stats) are kind of late on the class.

Performer: Support skillset that is quite good. +25% MT buffs of every stat kind (speed/str/mag/def/mdef...), and a way to transfer BP to another PC (while not quite as good as 'turn shifting', this improves your long-term offense if used appropriately, or to 'recover' someone whose BP went negative). Compact that with good base class speed and acceptable stats and you have yourself a highly competent support class. The best passive ability in the class is the one that doubles buff duration for 1 ability point, albeit only on the PC that is using it.

Ninja: This class specializes in low-power-high-mult damage and evasion. Both are solid enough niches, and there guarenteed 'dodge 1 attack' skill can be quite a lifesaver vs. certain bosses and enemies who bring to bare very powerful physical skills. Their speed is excellent of course. The damage isn't that competent to be honest, and their skillset aside from the guaranteed dodge leaves much to be desired. The passive abilities are geared toward getting some boon upon a dodge, whether stat boosts or an auto-counter to evading an attack. this makes for some fun times vs. entirely physical opponents.

Swordmaster: The counter class! This works much better on an enemy that is facing a party than it does a party facing enemies. Beyond that the swordmaster has competent enough stats (Speed isn't special though)... and Katanas are the best weapon type (high crit rate) so having the skill that grants an S in that is nice. Being based around counters just tends not to work too well. Although at least the counter skills halve damage and work on MT attacks. So not too bad if you know what your foe will be spamming MT-attackwise (although it can still waste a turn far too often).

Arcanist: Most of the Arcanists skills are for assisting in randomsmashing, and it requires inflicting status ailments on them first. In general this is not an impressive forte. Their skillsets can be abusive towards enemy and friends alike, so that is another point against them. Not actually being able to INFLICT those status ailments with their own skills is another mark... All dark damage which isn't TOO bad except they are soon to be competing with... well... something better at that particular niche. A point for coming with a solid enough default passive, insta-healing 30% of any suffered magic damage. This combines in interesting ways with some other skills like Healing Lore/Angelic Ward, I think. But that is about the only point for the class.

Spiritmaster: This is a support class. Primarily based around manipulating the party's elemental attributes (skills to grant omni-element absorption, skills to grant MT elemental immunity, skills to enhance one PC's elemental offense, and so on). It also features the skills Fairy Ward, which grants MT full status immunity for 5 turns (including stuff like Doom and such that would normally be non-immunable), Stillness, which makes the entire field immune to damage for 3 turns, and Convert BP, which spends 1/4 Max MP for 2 extra BP. The class is balanced by requiring extra BP to use most skills (only the ST elemental absorption doesn't), but that Convert BP along with some MP healing can give you some absolutely ridiculous results. Elemental absorption is extremely valuable and Fairy Ward nips some things in the bud that would be otherwise very frustrating (some bosses like ST status). Stillness is a FANTASTIC 'oh crap' button for when everyone but the Spiritmaster has died or something like that. This class' element nulling is nice for another reason too...

Templar: The Templar is a 'holy Knight' class that is geared towards defense, boasting the best survivability of all classes. It also features a skill to reduce damage while defaulting to 25% instead of 50%, which is solid. Other boons of this class include Rampart, a skill to give everyone a barrier that blocks 1 physical attack (including a lot of POWERFUL enemy MT moves like dragon breaths and so on). The class is extremely slow, and while they have good offensive skills their offense suffers from that speed some. But it never hurts to run a tank PC for emergency situations where enemy offense is overwhelming you some. Helps to buff the speed somehow to make them able to DO something in such an event!

Dark Knight: This class does damage. Not healing, not tanking, not utility... Damage. Usually while sacrificing HP to do so. The default skill boosts stats whenever 20% HP threshholds are crossed (this helps to keep buffs on longer). The class starts with Dark Bane, which is a 1.25x mult ST dark attack that consumes 20% HP. Then it gets Black Bane, which a 1.5x attack that consumes 30% HP, and is MT. Then it gets a passive skill to boost dark damage further. Then it gets a skill that boosts all stats (sans Speed) 50% for 5 turns at the cost of inflicting Doom. But a prize move for this class is the Dark Nebula attack. For 20% HP it does an MT 4x attack. Unfortunately this MT includes your own party. But combined with a Spiritmaster or plentiful use of Dark Shields (of which there are 3 in the game) you can spam it, and it is utterly devastating to enemies. For maximizing damage, there is Rage, a 2 BP move (costs as much as 3 actions) that uses Dark Bane 5x (or until HP reaches 1). A little twinking such as Sword Magic and you have reliable 50K damage for 3 BP, albeit it ST. And this can be used 2 times in a turn. When facing down boss teams there is nothing better than this class for putting them down in a hurry via the MT stuff. Fun fact: If they use the Doom-inflicting move under the Spiritmaster's Fairy Ward, they get the stat buffs without the Doom status!

Vampire: The blue mage class. But while the majority of their skillset is from getting hit with enemy magic, they also feature highly competent things like a skill that serves as a physical attack with parasitic healing, one for magic, and one to steal enemy BP. Then a skill to steal enemy stats (inflict -25% on them and +25% on you), and a skill to boost the effect (damage) of drain skills. They also feature a skill to instaheal 30% of any physical damage received. Their actual blue magic is primarily status stuff, but with some elemental MT and so on in the mix too. The class stats are very solid. Basically a good class, although the default passive is not useful due to being the one for learning new blue magic.

Conjurer: The last class, and not a terribly good one. Their skillset is ST buffs that last 10 turns, which is not terrible but not all that impressive either. Most of their skills are geared towards helping Summoners, which isn't exactly a selling point for this class.

Gamebest classes are... Spiritmaster (Utility of win and awesome), Dark Knight (DAMAGE), White Mage (Dispel, Esunga, MT healing), Performer (more utility of win and awesome), and Salve-Maker (Healing and utility!). Black Mages also get competent on damage with relatively little fuss lategame.

Think I'll go for a 'Normal Mode' stat topic of some kind.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:11:16 PM by Pyro »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #532 on: March 10, 2014, 11:14:28 PM »
Norende is basically fueled by online connections yeah.  Whenever you streetpass or online check the game, you'll get about 3 new profiles, which adds them to your Summon Friends list, gives you that many new villagers (to build stuff faster) and gives you some new bonus monsters in teh village menu.  THe actual village building can be done without going online at all, just it'll take you forever to get anything out of it.  Basically it builds stuff in real-time, just leaving the DS in sleep mode counts towards the total as well as play-time, but later levels of the buildings take 99 hours at base.  So without other villagers from online connections you'll basically never get anything.

(You only reallyi need about ~15 villagers to get everything meaningful but with 1?  Yeah no.)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 10, 2014, 11:21:24 PM »
Ah cool, about the ninja. I thought dying against them = No DWGR until NG+

I've seen one vagrant once, before I even knew about them.
It was extremely creepy (What the hell is that thing and why is it there in that area I've been through several times???) but weak.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 10, 2014, 11:45:04 PM »
I've had all of two vagrants. First one I killed immediately not knowing what it was. Second I toyed with enough to recognize that they can be incredibly damaging with missile spam (if you don't block this for some crazy reason, they're extremely slow and predictable).

I've still never had to deal with gravelord phantoms (outside of encountering them as a phantom in someone else's world).

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 11, 2014, 12:19:26 AM »
Saw in vagrant in other's world.  Think I posted about it here once even?

You don't know true terror until you fight black phantom bonewheel skeletons.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 11, 2014, 12:22:19 AM »
Saw in vagrant in other's world.  Think I posted about it here once even?

You don't know true terror until you fight black phantom bonewheel skeletons.

That's my nightmares for the rest of the week covered.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 11, 2014, 02:25:41 AM »
Well my stupid obsessive brain is still trying to understand this game without actually playing it, so I have been made aware of this mod existing which sounds terrifying.

On the other end of the spectrum though there is this that you can play co-op with a fixed partner apparently.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 11, 2014, 05:14:31 AM »
Soul Silver: Fighting Gym was harder than expected but then I lacked psychic types, and my only flying type was Noctowl, so was kind of RNG mercy here...that and Jolteon, Magmar and Tauros had to eat up a lot of earlier EXP to play catch up, so my levels were probably a little low too!

Also, seriously considering punting Noctowl for an actual thing capable of doing stuff in combat, and using it only when I need fly, but dunno what yet.  Crocanaw and Gloom are the rest on my team (starter + Surf (eventual Waterfall) user, and Grass-Type-I-never-Used-before-Will-Eventually-Evolve-into-Vileplume-because-screw-you-useless-Bellossom-evolution)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 11, 2014, 05:44:13 AM »
Ys Memories of Celceta: Finished.  Fun game!  Already said it, but it truly is Ys 7-2.  Lots of nice interfacey things ironed out since Ys 7 though, so probably more pleasant to play overall.  Nevertheless, it's actually probably worse than Ys 7 due to, of all things, the story.  Notably, the villains are lame.  Yeah yeah YS PLOT etc., but no, it really matters if you're going to actually spend time watching cutscenes & exploring villages & talking to people & all.  Zelda plot is no great shakes, but the Zelda games usually spend far less time on said plot than Ys, so it's going to be graded more harshly for Ys.

Anyway, here's what I expect out of a Ys game: a hammy, even melodramatic plot that doesn't have to exactly make sense (although that is a plus), but should deliver continuous dramatic confrontations and the like.  Throw in some CRAZY PLOT TWISTS and you're good to go.  Example: Oath in Felghana.  Chester hams it up as the villain, you get to beat him up twice, there's a PLOT TWIST with a new villain who hams it up instead, dramatic betrayals, heroic sacrifices, etc.  Memories of Celceta has some of the ingredients lazy scriptwriters use to juice up a plot (WARNING SPOILERS) - amnesia, a mind control villain, etc. which allows you to write twisty plots that wouldn't work if played fairly.  And then...  they fail to make use of any of it?  It's weird.  You have a hero with amnesia and he didn't forget about how he murdered the final boss before the game even started, or unleashed the doom comet, or anything.  The conflicts they set up are mostly lame.  Normally I'll take a good human villain over a god / entity villain any day, but they like forgot to write anything approaching a motive here for our human villain.  "Most humans are scum, only elite awesome dudes like me & Adol DO anything."  (sage nods that the villain is right from the party) "So that's why I'm going to test humanity by blowing it all apart."  Uh huh.  Got it.  Eldeel has his problems, but at least he felt like an actual threat and had something approaching an actual dramatic conflict (cozy humans with "guidance" vs. smash them in the right direction).  His music is way better, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEaXvBhD1jg

But yeah.  The actual villains suck, so meh.  The original Ys 4 plotline sounds like something along the lines of Ys 1 - totally incoherent, but THINGS ARE HAPPENING constantly, with lots more kidnappings & rescues & other stuff going on.  They might have managed to make the plot actually worse in Memories of Celceta (even if all the side things like townspeople dialogue makes it in effect better, of course).  Wat.

So, some random comments:
* Like Ys 7, skill level for the various moves is important, skill level still increases based off # of uses, and you have too many characters to sanely build moves for all of 'em.  Seems to very much encourage a "pick 3-4 characters and use 'em, ignore the rest" style which is a tad meh.  On the bright side, there are accessories that speed up skill learning...  kinda lame since it's like Earned JP UP in FFT, you basically have 1 less accessory slot than it appears, but better than encouraging a massive grind and/or sticking with the one skill you got to level 3.

* There isn't an item cap on healing items like Ys 7, nor any "can't spam items forever" rule a la Tales.  So...  you can't really lose boss fights unless you want to, healing items are pretty cheap, and even if you refuse to ever buy healing items, they give you some in chests, so I'm pretty sure it's legit to use those at least.

* And this is fine, actually, the boss fights are pretty fun, and you can make them as hard as you like by setting some item limit on yourself.  ...except toward the end of the game, where boss difficulty randomly DIVES.  It's weird, they went from making me learn 'em a bit in the mid-game and still having to use some items to just sucking and being no-item cleared on the first or second try.  To be sure, I always thought Oath / Origin bosses were too tough relative to the randoms, but this is too far the other direction.

* As noted before, the existence of a ubiquitous "dodge" button makes the characters play a wee bit too much the same IMHO.

* Can I mention again that the villains are lame?  Because they are.  I don't ask for much, "MWAHAHA I WILL REVIVE THE DARK GOD AND GAIN INFINITE POWER" would have been just fine, but you didn't even give me that.  Oh and there's some dumb animal rights thing for one of the side villains that makes no sense.  Sigh.

Despite all the whining, it was pretty fun.  Still worse than Ys 7, since Ys 7 has challenging bosses / a decent plot twist / marginally better characters (not that this says much).  Oh well.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 11, 2014, 05:54:14 AM »
Also I started writing the post above a week ago, just as I have a giant Phoenix Wright post I started writing a month+ ago.  This one will be quicker!

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: Was awesome!  Nostalgic throwback so it's cheating, but it's fine on its own.  I really like that you can just explore nearly everywhere from the start, and can do the dungeons in whatever order you like.  Most importantly, LBW has really solid dungeon design - they took lessons from the Portal people of introduce you to the tricks you can do with the item du jour, then actually force you to master them later on.  I loved the dungeons, they were all flavorful & interesting.  LBW also has a plot twist worth a damn, unlike Ys Memories of Celceta, despite spending way less time on its chatting.  Sweet.

Nitpicks:
* Aw, young Link?  I'm always a fan of using adult Link, for all that it was cute when they played up the angle.  (It was fine in OoT because it drew a contrast, please skip straight to adult Link in games without that.)
* Boss difficulty was super-erratic.  Some were good (Ice Ruins boss!), some were okay (Dark Palace boss), some were total jokes (lots of 'em).  Oh well.
* The final boss sequence needed one extra part to it.  I'm sure it's obvious what it should have been to those who played it.
* Unlike LttP, the final dungeon leads directly to the ending.  Thus when I beat the game, I lost all my progress in the final dungeon, including getting the Red Mail for the Treacherous Tower.  Oh well.
* On that note, the Blue Mail / Red Mail are BROKEN AS HELL.  (Damage halving / quartering ahoy.)  I didn't have them until the final dungeon basically but yeah, skip these if you want anything approaching challenge.

Did Dark Palace -> Skull Woods -> Turtle Rock -> Ice Ruins -> Thieves' Hideout -> Desert Palace -> Swamp Palace.  Ended up a good sequence, I thought.

I have lots to say about some games I enjoyed, but not this game particularly.  Maybe because it's short.  Play it, it's great.

Bravely Default next, I suppose. 

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 11, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »
Dark Souls 2!: I have died 14 times in 3 hours of playing.  I have achieved the equivalent of making it to the Undead Burg Bonfire.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 11, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
Dark Souls 2!: I have died 14 times in 3 hours of playing.  I have achieved the equivalent of making it to the Undead Burg Bonfire.

So it is easy mode for scrub casuals?  Good to know.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 11, 2014, 05:16:27 PM »
Jesus I can't wait.

So what's going to be your build?
I think I'm going with dual wielding since it's new. (Well, dual wielding being apparently marginally useful is new)
And I'm totally a Souls pro so I'm probably not going to ever need shields lol
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:23:39 PM by Fenrir »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 11, 2014, 06:22:26 PM »
26 deaths before I even fight a boss.  Swell.

Actually went with Swordsman duel-wield start myself.  It's been uh, "interesting".  Just sort of meandering at the start getting levels to get HP.  Picked up a new sword that might become cool though.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 11, 2014, 07:21:10 PM »
I think things have 50% more HP on hard?

25% boost to all stats, if the FAQs are correct. Regardless, I haven't even touched Hard mode and I've found the challenge very much fine.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 11, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »

Actually went with Swordsman duel-wield start myself.  It's been uh, "interesting".  Just sort of meandering at the start getting levels to get HP.  Picked up a new sword that might become cool though.

While I mean to not read much about stuff I haven't encountered yet...

...do let me know if you find a whip.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 11, 2014, 08:56:40 PM »
FF7 Hard Mode: The Rufus boss trio was actually pretty cool!
First time I used my last phoenix down (I had bought a few ones before and still ran out!) on the elevator fight since the propeller could drop OHKO attacks on Nanaki and Aeris. Then Motor Ball had his doubleact 2HKO attack and I had no way to revive.
In the end I had on both fights Cloud or Aeris on bolt spamming duty while the two others sat there and spammed Cure + their limit breaks.
Rufus either does 5HKO damage or laughs. Doggy has 3HKO Bolt. Could have been threatening? But both are weak to Sleep and I had all these items around...

Shinra building spear dudes (those you can steal a neat sword from) were relentless. Lots of damage + Sleep aaand you fight two or three of them at the same time.

Main party is Cloud/Nanaki/Barrett. Aeris lacks HP and steals kills (Healing Wind is pretty nice for boss fights though), Tifa is subpar at everything. I want to use mostly Yuffie and VINCENT.

Shinra building is still the best part of the game but all these people inside are so shockingly incompetent. Rufus' speech was hilarious!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:00:25 PM by Fenrir »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 11, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »

While I mean to not read much about stuff I haven't encountered yet...

...do let me know if you find a whip.

Info screens do say whips exist, so there's that.

Also the second boss has killed me like 20 times.  Many of them without me even landing a hit.  DARK SOULS 2!

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 11, 2014, 10:46:13 PM »
Bravely Default Hard Mode boosts enemy HP by 35%, boosts P.Atk and M.Atk (really Int, which x2 is M.Atk) by 25%, and Mind by 25%, which boosts enemy M.Def by a smaller amount than 25% (maybe ~10-15%).

Speed is unchanged, and P.Def is not affected. The 25% offense stats have a HUGE effect though, given that you can, conceivably, get a fair number of PCs that have P.Def stats higher than enemy P.Atk stats.