Register

Author Topic: Shift Tourney 2: Week 2  (Read 794 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Shift Tourney 2: Week 2
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:10 PM »
Results:

Piastol (Skies of Arcadia) vs. Depth Dragoon (Mega Man X Command Mission) (2-0)
Jenna Angel (Digital Devil Saga) vs. Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete)
(3-3, snake tiebreak:
>>> random.choice(["angel","devil"])
'angel' )
Yuna (Final Fantasy X) vs. GenocideHeart (Saga Frontier)
Loki (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Emelious de Pamela (Grandia 3)

Claude (Star Ocean 2) vs. Emily Bell (Suikoden 3)
Magus (Chrono Trigger) vs. Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia)
(3-3, snake tiebreak:
>>> random.choice(["dark matter", "radical hairdo"])
'dark matter' )
Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Lamington (Disgaea)
Ness (Earthbound) vs. Kary (Final Fantasy)

Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) vs. Fogel (Ogre Battle) (3-1)
Levin (Wild Arms XF) vs. Tibarn (Fire Emblem series)
Shania (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Kurando (Shadow Hearts 2)
Worker 8 (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Clarissa (Wild Arms XF)

Maria Traydor (Star Ocean 3) vs. Vyse (Skies of Arcadia: Legends)
Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star 4) vs. Gen (Saga Frontier) (6-4)
Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs. Belcoot (Suikoden 5)
Guy (Fire Emblem) vs. Joshua (Trails in the Sky) (3-2)

Jude Maverick (Wild Arms 4) vs. Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile)
Lucian (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Odie (Soul Nomad)
Katsuya Suou (Persona 2: Eternal Punishment) vs. Angelo (Dragon Quest VIII)
Basilio (Fire Emblem Awakening) vs. Ashley Winchester (Wild Arms 2)

--

"Help!  Help!  Police!"  The cries of the running civilian came closer to Detective Aya Brea - a somewhat out-of-shape dark-haired male in a lab coat.  "I was at the research hospital doing purely innocent research on mitochondria-mutated birds, and was definitely not trying to build an army of drug-addled bird slaves, when this monster attacked for no reason!  You gotta help me against it!"  There was something odd about this Dr. Izuka, Aya thought, but she'd met lots of odd characters in her time on the streets of post-apocalyptic New York.   Still, the part about the chasing monster was definitely true - a horrific half-bird, subhuman beast let out a war cry and seemed to be descending toward the innocent civilian.  Sighing, Aya readied her M-9, aiming carefully at the attacking NMC hawkman...

Divinities

Depth Dragoon (Mega Man X Command Mission) vs. Jenna Angel (Digital Devil Saga)
Yuna (Final Fantasy X) vs. Loki (Valkyrie Profile)

Demigods

Emily Bell (Suikoden 3) vs. Magus (Chrono Trigger)
Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Ness (Earthbound)
Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) vs. Tibarn (Fire Emblem series)
Shania (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Worker 8 (Final Fantasy Tactics)

Heroes

Maria Traydor (Star Ocean 3) vs. Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star 4)
Belcoot (Suikoden 5) vs. Guy (Fire Emblem)
Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Odie (Soul Nomad)
Angelo (Dragon Quest VIII) vs. Basilio (Fire Emblem Awakening)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Shift Tourney 2: Week 2
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:34:35 AM »
Divinities

Depth Dragoon (Mega Man X Command Mission) vs. Jenna Angel (Digital Devil Saga): Boost speed twice, spam Thunderclap to cancel any Jenna turns probably. He can probably just tank Bhairava with buffs too. Jenna's own debuffs are pretty paltry by comparison.
Yuna (Final Fantasy X) vs. Loki (Valkyrie Profile): She has a pretty good argument to take this without aeons, idly. Phantom Ring deals with Extension Force and should greatly reduce the potency of Indiscrimate, especially with Shell as the first action. Obviously in practice whatever, summon+magic as often as needed takes care of things.

Demigods

Emily Bell (Suikoden 3) vs. Magus (Chrono Trigger): Yeah no, the physical walling is too strong, here.
Shania (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Worker 8 (Final Fantasy Tactics): Buff self so that W8 hardly scratches her exact with moves which suicide, heal as needed, hit him on his own turns (wouldn't see him countering, both the fact that La Sirene uses thrown energy orbs and the fact that Hard Hit knocks the target across the battlefield make me confident she can get around melee counters if need be. Although I think she can take this even if you disagree).

Heroes

Maria Traydor (Star Ocean 3) vs. Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star 4): Block ID, use turn 1 paralysis. She's fortunate that she uses physical status of a type Psy equips don't cover, because status isn't turn 1 against Rune too often! So it goes.
Belcoot (Suikoden 5) vs. Guy (Fire Emblem): Hmm. Guy doubles, goes first, and certainly isn't killing in less than 6 hits (5's enough to me), so with a counter in there he should be able to kill on his second turn. So Belcoot needs a OHKO. That's... very unlikely, as Guy's high speed and luck will reduce his 2x-swing and crit rates even further, and he does need one... just misses a OHKO without it (98% damage or so). To make matters worse Guy might even evade, although that's not too likely with Belcoot's good accuracy.
Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Odie (Soul Nomad): Odie doesn't have any defensive advantage against spears, so I think Lawfer should OHKO him?
Angelo (Dragon Quest VIII) vs. Basilio (Fire Emblem Awakening): Faster, isn't OHKOed, and has instant death which certainly isn't worse than turn 2 here (50%).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:35:26 AM »
Depth Dragoon (Mega Man X Command Mission) vs. Jenna Angel (Digital Devil Saga) - Jenna only gets Dekaja on the form with Bhairava and Depth Dragoon can stack his buffs far faster than Jenna's first form can. Given his base defenses, actually, Jenna quite possibly can't outslug even if he doesn't pile up his defensive buffs. Having over 3x PC HP in effective pdur is a pretty good way to stave away Bhairava's threat.
Yuna (Final Fantasy X) vs. Loki (Valkyrie Profile) - Phantom Bangle + Shell means Yuna quite possibly doesn't even need the aeon conga to win.

Emily Bell (Suikoden 3) vs. Magus (Chrono Trigger) - Partly ITD damage is a nice thought, but when she doesn't crit, Emily's ramming against over 13x PC HP in pdur and the speed doesn't help against counters. Tough luck, toodles.
Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Ness (Earthbound) - Blaze Wall, the end.
Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) vs. Tibarn (Fire Emblem series) - FE9 Tibarn runs off 1.87 mdur off half-shift averages, which I'm pretty sure I don't ascribe to (I go by unshifted for all Laguz who don't transform in able time to enjoy the boosts). That tanks a Liberate with plenty of room to spare.
Shania (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Worker 8 (Final Fantasy Tactics) - This is pretty lol. Leonardo's Bear just guarantees Worker has absolutely no shot at winning this.

Maria Traydor (Star Ocean 3) vs. Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star 4) - Rune 2HKOs and goes first, but Paralyzer Maria just gives no shits. Block ID, win with status.
Belcoot (Suikoden 5) vs. Guy (Fire Emblem) - That evade is bad news for Belcoot.
Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Odie (Soul Nomad) - EDIT: No type advantage? Huh. Still, against GR-Lenneth averages, Lawfer misses the OHKO on Odie. Which leads to pretty much the same result as if he had typing edges.
Angelo (Dragon Quest VIII) vs. Basilio (Fire Emblem Awakening) - Angelo's ID is probably turn one against Basilio Res. It doesn't have to be.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:41:07 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:36:28 AM »
Divinities

Yuna (Final Fantasy X) vs. Loki (Valkyrie Profile) - Yeah Yuna probably takes this without the conga, never mind with.

Demigods

Emily Bell (Suikoden 3) vs. Magus (Chrono Trigger) - um.
Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Ness (Earthbound) - Yep.
Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) vs. Tibarn (Fire Emblem series) - Not sure I respect Liberate enough to one-shot FE10's mdur even ignoring any potential bullshit there, let alone 9's which is higher.   Considering the likelyhood of the potential bullshit... yeah no.
Shania (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Worker 8 (Final Fantasy Tactics) - W8 is hopeless here.

Heroes

Belcoot (Suikoden 5) vs. Guy (Fire Emblem) - Blah blah evade.
Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Odie (Soul Nomad) - No defensive advantage means Odie definitely gets OHKO'd here to me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:38:03 AM by Random Consonant »

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:13:26 AM »
Divinities

Demigods

Shania (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Worker 8 (Final Fantasy Tactics)- Lol

Heroes

Belcoot (Suikoden 5) vs. Guy (Fire Emblem)- No free counters mean that this comes down to whether Guy evades 1 of 2 Belcoot shots (I'm just going with Belcoot's base damage for sanity), which is turns comes to respecting S5 accuracy as being a good evasion buster. Abstain since I have no idea about that.
Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Odie (Soul Nomad)- Generics in average=Lawfer doesn't OHKO
...into the nightfall.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 04:36:21 AM »
Divinities

Depth Dragoon (Mega Man X Command Mission) vs. Jenna Angel (Digital Devil Saga) - Depth Dragoon needs to stop mauling my noms.
Yuna (Final Fantasy X) vs. Loki (Valkyrie Profile) - And this is the difference between the high end of High Godlike and the "low" end of it.

Demigods

Emily Bell (Suikoden 3) vs. Magus (Chrono Trigger) - If it weren't for the counters she might actually be able to punch through this with those crits. Buuuuuuut counters make her cry.
Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Ness (Earthbound) - You could argue his para blocker might stop the status. Then she just beats him with something else in the bag of tricks, though. That's a p.good bag of tricks.
Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) vs. Tibarn (Fire Emblem series) - Yeah, tanks through or dodges a Liberate. And that's game.
Shania (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Worker 8 (Final Fantasy Tactics) - I'll buy her dodging counters, sure. Not sure she needs to, but hey.

Heroes

Maria Traydor (Star Ocean 3) vs. Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star 4) - Maria.txt
Belcoot (Suikoden 5) vs. Guy (Fire Emblem) - Belcoot needs a crit to win this. Even if he procs 2x swing, odds are Guy will dodge one of the two swings. Slightly lower Guy durability respect or higher Belcoot damage respect could tilt this, but...well, Guy attacks, doubles. Belcoot Falcons, Guy counters, doubles. Guy attacks, doubles. Belcoot could parry one or two of those, but that's balanced out by Guy's crit rate. Good fight, Guy just hammers out a bit too much damage for even Belcoot's physical spoiling to take.
Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Odie (Soul Nomad) - Yeah, I guess Odie goes first and kills before Lawfer gets to PWS, doesn't he?
Angelo (Dragon Quest VIII) vs. Basilio (Fire Emblem Awakening) - Sure, Whack a mole.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 05:02:14 AM »
Demigods

Heroes

Belcoot (Suikoden 5) vs. Guy (Fire Emblem)- Don't take evadeable physicals against Guy.
Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Odie (Soul Nomad)- Survives a non PWS turn, murders.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 05:22:40 AM »
Yeah, I guess Odie goes first and kills before Lawfer gets to PWS, doesn't he?

Lawfer goes first (Odie is below average speed). That said Odie has counters so if you see those working he gets two attacks before Lawfer gets one, and he 2HKOs Lawfer regardless of averages used. So I think the fight comes down to this...

-If you don't consider SN counters, Lawfer wins.
-Otherwise, if you scale Odie against SN generics, Odie wins.
-Otherwise, if you use the highest listed VP damage average (the one which reflects NV3's gross damage on turn 2 fully), Odie wins.
-Otherwise, Lawfer wins.

That should work as a flowchart for all voting types I'm aware of offhand! (My own views take me to the last line.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:04:59 AM »

Demigods

Nobody's hyping Ness's status game?  Not that it really matters, I suspect Moon Saber -> Reflect -> draining beats will slowly drain out Ness's PP even without Lunar Energy for the crits.
Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) vs. Tibarn (Fire Emblem series) - Hey, a hypothetical no-OPB-moves damage average would still have Aya massively overkilling everything...  but yeah PE is a game where that wouldn't be wise.

Heroes

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
Kinda hard to hype a status game when you don't get a turn. To make things worse, Ness' status game is horrible failure against Wall, also being inaccurate and below average speed (i.e. usually considered slower than Purim). So uh yeah. And just to nail the coffin shut, SoM engulf and paralysis hit two explicitly distinct immunities (there -is- paralysis immunity in SoM, it does nothing against engulf).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:22:25 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 08:54:26 PM »
Closing this tomorrow.

Jo'ou: Yeah, I should have added "with the proviso that Ness is seen as being able to block engulf."  I for one am pretty lenient about consolidating other game's statuses even when they're clearly separate in the home game, but yeah, Ness has an uphill fight.  (Frost Saber -> eat 1 turn of Ness's status attempts -> turn Ness into a Snowman -> buff the hell up then Wall, wait for Ness to de-Frostify is a pretty solid win too.)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »
Divinities

Demigods

Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Ness (Earthbound)- No vote.

Heroes

Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Odie (Soul Nomad)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.