imageRegister

Author Topic: Musci tourney misc. discussion  (Read 803 times)

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Musci tourney misc. discussion
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:57:10 PM »
A home for all those random thoughts/discussion/links that don't quite fit into the voting topics:  What new gems have you discovered through the tourney?  Any pieces that you think would do well if they hadn't been outclassed in round one? Surprised by any winners or loser?  Want to rage over how a favorite got robbed?  Alternate sound versions or remixes?

While I acknowledge that this sort of discussion can take place in chat just fine, good luck finding a link in the chat logs of a week ago.  Might as well post the youtube link that inspired me to make the topic in the first place.  There is a higher sound quality version of Protoman's theme out there from the Megaman arcade game.   I had completely forgotten about it when choosing noms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PC5x3RIA9E

Would have amused me greatly had Haunted Castle's "Don't Wait Until Night" had been matched up with Aria of Sorrow's "Heart of Fire" but that was not to be.

Perhaps the strangest outcome to come out of this is a desire to cosplay a character from a game I'd never heard of before the tourney.   ;D  Not saying who.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:54:02 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: Musci tourney misc. discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:56:11 PM »
I have a plethora of regrets along the lines of "Damn, I wish I'd nommed this," but that's inevitable, you always gotta make choices. Principally wish I'd dug into the Silent Hill soundtracks some (their "OSTs" are in large part arranged music, and at the time of nomming, I had no idea which tracks genuinely played in-game).

Answers not making the main tourney hurt, though.

Notable good finds I had no idea existed and made me want to hear more were mostly Ace Combat tracks, though the Touhou track that failed to get out of the list round was also a nice surprise.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:19:25 AM »
I am a little regretful that I didn't nom any FF15 tracks my self.
I was expecting FF15 to be a popular this tournament, but things turned out other wise.
Really should have nommed Invidia and Apocalypsis Aquarius.

On the other hand, finding out a track from Rosenkreuzstilette being nommed is a pleasant surprise.

The greatest findings for me is being introduced to Risk of Rain and Fast Than Light.

Answers not making the main tourney hurt, though.

Feel the same here, especially that among the FF14 tracks that were nominated, this one is my favorite.

Speaking of which, can't help but to feel that The Ultimate was composed to challenge the Answers in someway.
And I won't be surprised if this is really the case, consider how GBF has poked at FF more than once.
https://youtu.be/feMyS0wq2Qo?t=3338

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »
FF14: Answers made it into a music tourney on another site I visit.  It also got a rough round 1 matchup.

ttps://www.cavesofnarshe.com/forums/ipb/index.php?showtopic=17920

EDIT: Voting appears to be closed.  Damn, too slow.

CK's commentary on FF8: Legendary Beast mirrors my thought process before I chose to nom it.  Not exactly word for word though quite close without the presence of telepathy.

I kind of hoped Crusader: Main menu would do well but it got almost the roughest matchup possible.  Too bad.

Personal new favorites include Atelier Ayesha: Guidance and Bravely Default: Wicked Flight.  For both, the soundtracks have raised my interest level in the games.

Voting has dropped off.  Not too surprised since there's no new material to check out, heh.

As I've rediscovered how awesome Xenogears soundtrack is, here is "Flight"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQi7vk9Yzdk
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:06:01 PM by DragonKnight Zero »

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 02:11:45 AM »
"There sure is a lot of Undertale this round."

To satisfy my own curiosity, I gathered data on which games have multiple tracks in round 3.

Undertale does, in fact, have the greatest number of tracks still in the tourney, though not overwhelmingly so.  With 4 tracks out of 64 active competitors, it is the highest number from an individual game.

Right behind at 3 tracks each are Deemo and Atelier Ayesha.  The games with 2 tracks still in are rather well known titles: Bravely Default, Chrono Trigger, Dark Souls,  Lufia (2): Curse of the Sinstrals,  Xenoblade Chronicles  Still a good variety of games represented this round.

Took some notes on game series with multiple entries still in.  Nier, Ace Combat, and Persona have tracks from three different games present.  Wild Arms and Final Fantasy have two representatives each.  A different Atelier title has a track still in bringing the series total to match Undertale.

None of this is intended to be statistically significant.  There's a number of games where only one track got nominated after all.  A knockout tourney of 64 with 4 tracks each from 16 different games would make an interesting experiment; if I were less lazy about it, I'd consider running it.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 09:46:44 AM »
People like Undertale music.  Good stuff, mostly.

Just some random links:
https://musescore.com/catrione/justice-rip-storm
Someone's piano score version of one of FE Fates's music in Warriors, but also in Camilla's FE Heroes super-grinding map.  I like it at least.

Also from games I played too late to nominate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEgyHwdRgyM&list=PL_uhBlXGL-MQ3cjBZtFYW8QzErpMogYhG&index=14
A Rose in the Twilight had pretty good music, albeit an awkward fit for a music tourney in general...  lots of background you-are-solving-puzzles music.  Anyway, that's to the full playlist, but to the final boss theme, which I got to be intimiately familiar with as Rose repeatedly died.  (If you watch a video, it doesn't look THAT impressive on a single take, but any single mistake means instant death and back to the start...  and mistakes are quite easy to make, it's precise.)
If you want a sample of more of the creepy ambient music, try "Memory of Castle" instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5YGxMjywSk&index=28&list=PLmai4tR__ZfQ_J4KaaXAfJVpEs5BAbvGR
Fire Emblem Echoes has some pretty good music, even if it holds a little too closely to the original NES soundtrack a bit wherein Alm & Celica's theme were all you had (so for most battles, they feel semi-obligated to just play remixes of them - albeit getting grander and more interesting remixes as the games goes on).  Anyway, the final battle theme is pretty rad, good Super Epic Showdown with evil choir & stuff.  (The next piece in the playlist, the optional superboss theme of Forbidden Sanctuary, is a remix from the final FE12 battle interestingly enough...  got a nice Castlevania vibe.)