Register

Poll

Shouldn´t we write the characters together and give a short description?

That´s not a bad idea!
2 (66.7%)
Yes, I guess it´s important to know the Characters.
0 (0%)
No. Who will do the work?
0 (0%)
I don´t see a sense in doing this.
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: View the characters  (Read 3870 times)

Swordsman

View the characters
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:32:29 PM »
 :-\ I think it is of great importance to make a list describing most of the characters of the various RPGs appearing in the RPGDL to visitors and members. The story background of every character should be written down, and also in which games he/she appears. Maybe even a view over his/her fighting techniques and so on. This would be enough for a short overview of every character and a good "sight" for potential members. That means, we might even get more members ;-)

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: View the characters
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
There actually is some of this in the forms of the character bios.  If you click on the character pictures on the Arena page, for instance, you'll go to the character's page, which holds their records and usually a brief description of the character, though it usually focuses more on their DL history or fighting style than their backstory. 

Admittedly it could stand to be more fleshed out or at least easier to find, but to be honest the project isn't complete mostly because it was hard to find people that actually knew enough about the character and wanted to put in the effort to put the bios together.  So, unfortunately, I'd have to say the workload involved would make it rather difficult to expand them at this point.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 04:35:59 AM »
Actually, this is something I've been working on slowly since I joined up.

I've got a gigantic word file with every ranked (and quite a few unranked) characters with their vitals listed, like age, race, hometown; and a few other useful tidbits like elemental alignment, weapon-types, limits, transformations, summons... depending on game system.

It's about 200 pages long at this point. It takes forever to find some of the more obscure information (parents' names if they exist, real age if it exists, last name if it exists, hometown, etc.), so it isn't complete yet. A lot of the easier games I've skipped over because filling in the information shouldn't take long once I sit down to do it (aka, the Final Fantasy games, CT). Others, like the large cast games, I just haven't had the -time- to finish them (Suiko1,2,5, FE9/10, CC, VP1). I've gotten surprisingly far though. I should sit down and count how many games I've actually finished so far. I've gotten some big ones like FE6/7, Suiko3/4, ShF1/2, Brig, OB.

But lately, I've been neglecting it a bit. I guess I should get back to filling it out as I play new games. I completely forgot to do it during my DQ4DS playthrough. EP, too. The last one I did... P2?

Anyway, I suppose we could add what I have to the bios if anyone's willing to do a big copypasta fiesta.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »
Hm. Not sure they should be added to the bios, since the information available isn't the same for all games, and the bios should be relatively consistent in style. Having something like that available somewhere, though, would be very useful, since it'd be great for writeups and the like. Maybe upload the file to the Wiki somewhere?

Taishyr

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
If you're willing to send the file to me I can work on wikiformatting it, Djinn. Shouldn't be too hard and gives me something brainded to do.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:04:15 PM »
You should also make a link with that character doing some sort of attack action from their respected games!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 03:42:37 AM »
I would like to see that file Djinn.

Swordsman

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 03:17:29 PM »
I´m interested in that file, too.  It surely has been a lot of work! You surely are happy that it will be of good use. :)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 01:32:57 AM »
Hey Tai,

Did ya get that thing I sentcha?

Taishyr

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 03:51:05 PM »
Yup. Working on it, will start posting stuff tomorrow.