Author Topic: Redoing the season schedule  (Read 6536 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Redoing the season schedule
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:09:01 PM »
Possible season layout

Week 1- 4 matches per division
Week 2- 4 matches per division
Week 3- 2 matches per division, the people who won in week 1
Week 4- 2 matches per division, the people who won in week 2
Week 5- The old week 4
Week 6- Finals+Nom pools go up with a theorical way to tie it to the site.
Week 7-NR week+upgrades/downgrades. NR week is 1-4 NR matches that we put on the main site, plus whatever we do with upgrade/downgrades. This week has no required writing, since NR would be done weeks ahead of time.

There are other ideas here, including Elfboy's redo of the reranking week and some other suggestions about how to redo the lineup. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:16:57 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: Redoing the season schedule
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »
Works. I would vote to stick with the current reranking format if we're going to do NR and team matches in Week 7, just to avoid confusion.

Taishyr

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »

NR would be done weeks ahead of time.

Cue Snow's laughing picture... now.

This wasn't quite a smash hit last time we tried running NR, I can't imagine it being that successful on an integration with the site proper. Maybe I'm just being a pessimistoro, but.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
 If people seriously want NR to return, it needs to be preparead ahead of time.  One-four matches however people want to work it. If not, we'll find something else easier to use or take it off entirely. I'll talk to Djinn and others interested about this. It having a fragment of the work -should- make it doable.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:57:02 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:16:32 PM »

NR would be done weeks ahead of time.

Cue Snow's laughing picture... now.

Yeah no, it didn't work the last three times people tried to get that done. The idea is great on paper, but ready-to-fire site work doesn't happen without a fair degree of last-minute whipping.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:23:07 PM »
Skepticism about NR success goes -here-, but I suppose the flexible number of matches makes it more workable. If a match doesn't get writeups, it doesn't go in the season. That's motivation at least.

How do people feel about reranking stuff, anyway? This may need its own topic.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:25:43 PM »
I honestly like the idea of rearranging the reranking system - the one we have is pretty interesting, but it's sorta cumbersome and garners nearly no interest as it stands. Reshuffling it to something more elegant, yet still representative, would be nice. You could even bring up the idea you came up with as the topic opener.

And yes, I also think it's worth opening its own topic for it.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:31:18 PM »
Skepticism about NR success goes -here-, but I suppose the flexible number of matches makes it more workable. If a match doesn't get writeups, it doesn't go in the season. That's motivation at least.

How do people feel about reranking stuff, anyway? This may need its own topic.

I donno, even I can throw together a writeup for one match at worst. If it doesn't work, it doesn't, but it's different than the team match which also doesn't generate much interest.
-------------------

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:33:19 PM »
Hm.  When you say "1-4 NR matches", do you mean 1-4 in a full divisional setup (ie, 4-16 matches) or actually 1-4 matches, similar to the bonus system Djinn's been playing with?  Considering the lag involved, I think just having them for exhibition purposes rather than trying anything more elaborate is preferable.  Even then though, I think that sticking to maybe two matches would be best; 4 writeups is fairly trivial as long as you avoid the hardcore obscura.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
Bonus system Cmdr, not a full slate of matchups. So 1-4 matches, not a full week's worth.

New topic for rerankings.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:37:57 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »
If it's just singular NR matches, I can probably come up with and write enough theme matches (Marth vs Roy!) that amuse me to last for several years.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 09:39:39 PM »
Just chiming in, I like the season reschedule. Seven weeks isn't too long, and it gives more time for write-ups, if anything. Heck, assuming we can get the nom pools rolling in week 7, and have up the new season for write-ups before the NR week, or the upgrades/downgrades, we could probably get some write-ups off our shoulders early (and I could even try to -not- procrastinate!).

As for week 7 itself, the rerankings as they are now don't actually bother me all that much, and I do typically vote on them, but I wouldn't mind them changing if they don't draw all that much interest.
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »
I'm assuming we take a week off between week 6 and week 1 of next season regardless. (Advisable if we're going to be doing all these new things)

Week 1- 4 matches per division. One week's prep time.
Week 2- 4 matches per division. Two week's prep time.
Week 3- 2 matches per division, the people who won in week 1. Week's prep time.
Week 4- 2 matches per division, the people who won in week 2. Week's prep time.
Week 5- The old week 4. Week's prep time on half, a day's prep time on the other half.
Week 6- Finals+Nom pools go up with a theorical way to tie it to the site.  Day prep time, but light work.
Week 7-NR week+upgrades/downgrades. NR week is 1-4 matches (One in each division in theory) and is super light work. We can have people sign up for a divison ahead of time and do the writeups, along with a set deadline. If we don't have them by a certain time to edit, they don't go on site.  This gives us a fairly pain free week and new content on that week.
Week 8- Break week? We can also make this NR week if people are inclined or feel the need. If we do this, we get two weeks for week 1 and 3 weeks for week 2.
The advantage of this is we have much more time to get the writeups done, and missing comments won't be a problem any more.
-------------------

Bardiche

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 10:14:52 PM »
The second half of week 5 will just be 1 match per division? I think that looks great, personally.

//Yeah. Basically we have almost no writeups to do on the fly, which is nice.

//edit: ^ H-h-h-hey super!! No editing my posts!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:33:06 AM by Bardiche »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »
A full on break week is right out, I think. A week of nothing updating is a bad stutter-step in a smooth schedule. I'm fine with the 7 week plan, but if people feel the need for 8, keep NR for then.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 01:28:41 AM »
If we're going to a 7-week matches schedule, then no to the break week. An 8-week rotation feels too long.

If we're dedicating more time to NR, then it goes on whatever the 7th week is.

I personally think we could stick with the old 6-week match schedule and then just do NR/teams/whatever exhibition matches on the 7th (break) week.

But either way is fine so long as we keep to a 7-or-less weeks schedule. Eight is just too much. in my eyes. Someone pointed out just how long that makes the rotation of seasons in Hal's topic - where it ends up being something like 3 years on average before a Middle dueller can get another match.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 02:02:26 AM »
Frankly, using the average for something like that when there's a bunch of duelers nobody cares about and therefore nobody nominates is pointless.  I mean, really.  Does anyone here really give a shit that Rebecca, for example, hasn't been in for over 30 seasons?  She's a plotless bit character in a large game with boring mechanics.  Characters that people really want to see will get in, characters that people don't want to see won't.  That's the way the site is designed.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 03:18:50 AM »
7 week season looks like it will work really well. I'm not a huge fan of the 8 week season as it makes the season too long and gives us either one week where nothing is happening or two weeks with very little.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 03:21:38 AM »
7 week season looks like it will work really well. I'm not a huge fan of the 8 week season as it makes the season too long and gives us either one week where nothing is happening or two weeks with very little.

That. Things would feel a bit empty with an 8th week, even if we did find something to fill it with.
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 04:21:27 AM »
Bard: Apologies, meant to put up a new post there.

Week 1- 4 matches per division. One week's prep time.
Week 2- 4 matches per division. Two week's prep time.
Week 3- 2 matches per division, the people who won in week 1. Week's prep time.
Week 4- 2 matches per division, the people who won in week 2. Week's prep time.
Week 5- The old week 4. Week's prep time on half, a day's prep time on the other half.
Week 6- Finals+Nom pools go up with a theorical way to tie it to the site.  Day prep time, but light work.
Week 7-NR week+whatever upgrade and downgrade system we use.  NR week is 1-4 matches total (One in each division in theory).

That sound alright?

Frankly, using the average for something like that when there's a bunch of duelers nobody cares about and therefore nobody nominates is pointless.  I mean, really.  Does anyone here really give a shit that Rebecca, for example, hasn't been in for over 30 seasons?  She's a plotless bit character in a large game with boring mechanics.  Characters that people really want to see will get in, characters that people don't want to see won't.  That's the way the site is designed.

Strongly agreed. Interesting characters tend to appear over and over for a reason.

Edit: The other part I really like about this system is it gives us more time to find editors. Andrew/Ashley both are good at it and willing to edit, but are tied up with work or other things friday evening when we do updates. Giving Snow/Tai off weeks is good.

Edit: Going to make a new topic with a poll about this.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:05:30 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 06:55:43 AM »
Frankly, using the average for something like that when there's a bunch of duelers nobody cares about and therefore nobody nominates is pointless.  I mean, really.  Does anyone here really give a shit that Rebecca, for example, hasn't been in for over 30 seasons?  She's a plotless bit character in a large game with boring mechanics.  Characters that people really want to see will get in, characters that people don't want to see won't.  That's the way the site is designed.

Completely mis-interpreted, perhaps?

The 3 years figure is just based on the idea of X number of duelists exist in a division, if everyone got time equally, then they'd each show up about once every 3 years. Certainly, it's possible for that figure to be even longer.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 08:31:07 AM »
And what you said feeds directly into my point.  WE DON'T NOMINATE PEOPLE EQUALLY.  We don't care about people equally.  So that figure doesn't mean jack shit!  People that are interesting enough for people to care about will still get in fairly often.  People that aren't as well liked will get in once in a while and be forgotten again.  That's how it's always been and changing to an eight week format won't really make a huge difference.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 10:30:50 AM »
Of course it has meaning. We don't rank just anything. Yes, there's a lot of crap no one really cares about anymore (looking at you CC, Suikoscrubs, VP1 einherjar, ShFs, FE scrubs). But, I'd wager there's even more characters that have fans than those that don't. Even -just- among the characters we like and find interesting, there's a HUGE number of ranked duelists. An 8-week schedule has us looking at a 2-3 year rotation schedule still. >.>;;

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »
I'm more for the 7 week season in it's current form with rerankings staying the same (as discussed in the other topics). The 8 week season I proposed serves a purpose, but an 8 week season with a break week tacked on wouldn't work as well. The 8th week being a complete break time with nothing going up also interrupts a smooth updating schedule, while two weeks of Rerankings + NR just... doesn't feel right to me.

Doing both on the same week (if rerankings were done in the newly proposed way) would lead to 9 matches to write for, plus a couple NRs, depending. This is a lot of work and I can see NR kinda falling off of it eventually as apathy sets in and disturbs the plan to get them done beforehand and the sudden, before the update burst of work is taken up by the Rerank stuff that needs to be done.

Conversely, if we hold NR apart in it's own seperate week, people might feel compelled to do more matches just so it doesn't look so empty, which defeats the purpose of the changes since we're making them not only to reduce the workload but reduce the apathy inspired by this kinda stuff.