imageRegister

Poll

Should the DL's main site tournament be shut down?

Yes, indefinitely.
4 (9.3%)
Yes, for a long break.
5 (11.6%)
No, but we can cut down on the writing.
21 (48.8%)
No, but we need to change it.
12 (27.9%)
No, it's fine just the way it is.
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Should the Main Tournament Shut Down?  (Read 29661 times)

Bardiche

Re: Should the Main Tournament Shut Down?
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2010, 11:50:57 PM »
Kazan was there when I first visited this site last year... October? I thought he was rather permanent. Wouldn't mind seeing him replaced for once.

Shion is clearly superior.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2010, 11:52:07 PM »
Kazan's been around since season 38. Time to replace him. Hal did mention some changes with the front page, so donno exactly what he is doing with the redesign.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2010, 03:31:25 AM »
I defintately approve of Rise as the new front page intro. As for changing them regularly, maybe change them after every two new ranking periods and use one of the characters from a game that got ranked if there are any who fit the position. Professor Oak for when/if we rank Pokemon D/P would be awesome.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2010, 04:29:46 AM »
I defintately approve of Rise as the new front page intro. As for changing them regularly, maybe change them after every two new ranking periods and use one of the characters from a game that got ranked if there are any who fit the position. Professor Oak for when/if we rank Pokemon D/P would be awesome.

I support this. Although, having Rise as the permanent welcome-wagon would also be cool.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2010, 05:41:56 AM »
Eh, a permanent one gets stale.  Then again, I'm not sure how many people actually read the front page anymore anyway...

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2010, 08:22:23 AM »
Change it to one of the previous season's duellers after each season to keep it fresh. <_< >_>
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Taishyr

« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2010, 12:57:50 PM »
I'd support a switch every 6 seasons, as that's nearly a year. Hell, I could get behind a switch every 4 just for more variety.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2010, 05:31:16 PM »
Keep it at 8-10... just make sure we actually stick to it this time and avoid a 19 season run.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2010, 06:30:11 PM »
I'd support a switch every 6 seasons, as that's nearly a year. Hell, I could get behind a switch every 4 just for more variety.

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me. 6 seasons isn't so far apart that we'd be forgetting at any time to do it, and a yearly switch would probably work pretty well. Keeps up variety, too, which is what we all want out of this.

Although I wouldn't be unhappy if we kept it to 8-10, I'm just throwin' in my two cents.
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2010, 11:58:40 PM »
Change it to one of the previous season's duellers after each season to keep it fresh. <_< >_>

I like this idea. Maybe the new face of the front page could be one of the previous season's champions. That would put a bit more significance on winning a title, don't you think?

Downside: You'd have to change it every season.

Upside: Changing it that often would certainly keep things fresh and different. And hey, if the front page character sucks and has a boring personality, at least they won't be up there for long.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2010, 05:55:08 PM »
We should have a tournament between fighters in the DL to see who gets to host the front page!

Like, a separate nom pool kind of thing. Do the usual  six noms for each division and then nom someone who you would want to see be on the front page hosting or rather be the RPGDL greeter of sorts to all who come and vistit.

The winner of the Tournament could be determined and stay for like 5 seasons and then either fight to stay five more seasons or get replaced by someone who could beat them.

edit: It could even be a popularity contest so that a Light could possibly beat a Godlike contestant!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:21:57 PM by Scar »
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Feldschlacht IV

• Dick Justice
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2010, 06:20:52 AM »
Maybe I'm really late to this discussion, but if the meat of the problem is lack of new interest, members, and people to stimulate discussion and activity, why hasn't the subject come up simply to get more people here?
The site has a very interesting topic, and instead of removing the aspects that brought such life here in the first place, why not pump new life in it, and replace any stale ideas with new ones instead of removing them? If it's a matter of staff members getting weary, isn't there anyone who would like to help or take their place?

As far as bringing new people here, none of you know anyone or know any ways to advertise this site, get the word out or anything like that?
It's new. It's improved. And it's the best gamemaking site around. (and also, we host your games, screenshots, and progress logs of any maker.)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2010, 02:31:56 PM »
Getting people here to the community and getting them to stick around is the difficult part. If you have any ideas or places that would be receptive, by all means say so.

We've made the work community wide instead of just staff, which helped some when we did that several seasons back. It still usually takes nudging to get those people to write for the first time.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Feldschlacht IV

• Dick Justice
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2010, 04:40:40 PM »
Hmm...I'll try to think of some specific ideas, but if you want some general ideas, I have plenty of those.

One thing that people forget about when they try to bring new life into a community, it's not as simple as getting a couple of dudes to sign up that your friend knows, or whatever. It's a drive. It may sound corny, but a constant marketing push to get this site known by all of your intended audience is what gets people to flock here. You have to get the word out, and there are quite a few ways to do it, like advertising this site in your signature in forums of other sites, sites like Digg and whatnot, and if other sites allow it, upfront advertising topics and such.

This site has the fatal flaw of ironically, many JRPGs in that its a great concept, but its not marketed enough to people who would find it awesome, if they only knew about it. The key to injecting new life into the site is putting it out to as many people as you can, and keeping the place itself active so people are excited about coming here.
It's new. It's improved. And it's the best gamemaking site around. (and also, we host your games, screenshots, and progress logs of any maker.)

Feldschlacht IV

• Dick Justice
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2010, 05:22:23 AM »
Has anything been decided about this?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2010, 05:40:04 AM »
You sorta came to the topic a bit late, truth be told. We already agreed upon a few changes to the system (changed the season flow and the upgrade/downgrade systems), and Djinn's looking into ways to integrate some user-created content into the DL for access, at the very least. However, any other input is obviously appreciated, and your enthusiasm is pretty welcome.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

OneWingedAngel12

• Denizen
  • "I will... never be a memory."
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »

No matter what happens, the tournament must go on.

However, just a little changes and remakes must be done.

Seasons have come and have gone.

It's been some time this feat has been existing.

Just be positive in a sense.

:)