Register

Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129229 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #975 on: January 11, 2014, 10:18:32 AM »
Late to the party, but whatever~
Legaia 2:
Lang: 7 - he's a good main!
Maya: 3.5 - closer to a 4 due to being an overshadowed slow healer, but that beginning pacifism docks her half a point
Kazan: 6.5 - overall good, sort of drags towards the end
Sharon: 8.5 - MVP~
Ayne: 2.5 - Somehow worse than Maya

Tales of Symphonia:
Lloyd: 7.5 - Tales main in a game before non-mains became viable controlled options.
Genis: 4 - Ties up the enemy and has crowd control. But, useless on his own, no damage, and generally requires another player for intelligent play.
Colette: 3 - Contributes nothing besides her MT buff later on. Trying to main her is a failed experiment. Slow and fragile, though ranged! Half point for being better than an empty slot early on. Talks to dogs as party leader!
Kratos: 7 - You need another fighter besides Lloyd. Kratos is around longer and earlier. Actually present while his healing is useful. Gets some good equip options lategame.
Raine: 8 - Someone has to heal, and better yet, she can do Genis' role if she's not busy healing.
Sheena: 3 - worse than Genis, damage is useless. Has good combos but never uses them. Trying to main her is just as bad as maining Colette, only Sheena isn't ranged so her fragility is even more of a liability.
Zelos: 6.5 - Kratos minus
Presea: 6.5 - another fighter archetype, at least she's viable and plays significantly differently than the swordsmen. I would peg her as slightly less good overall than them. Wants some kinda cool equipment cheese like them.
Regal: 6 - better than the scrubs! Fast! Unwieldy combos though and he leaves himself open more than a speed-type character should. Also wishes he had equipment cheese.

Final Fantasy 3 (DS):
Freelancer: 1 - Uh... did they even have a point?
Warrior: 7.5 - physical class that can carry you the whole game, so you can relive those FF1 days in an entirely new job system!
Thief: 5 - not the worst thief class in the series!
Monk: 5 - kinda lackluster, but solid damage and doesn't require buying lots of equipment, so that's good?
Red Mage: 4.5 - I feel like this one is a waste of time since you need to be planning for more long-term goals in FF3DS.
Black Mage: 4 - Honestly the same problem as Red Mage, though with less Jeigan potential...
White Mage: 6.5 - You could rock a White Mage all game if you wanted, healing is healing. I generally sent both my spellcasters down White Mage at alternate points in the game.
Knight: 5 - it's an upgrade from Warrior, but not enough of one, which really just translates to wasted time grinding JLs.
Scholar: -1 - I am bitter towards Scholars. They also are useless outside of like one fight.
Ranger: 3 - Possibly the worst physical class? Its niche doesn't really work.
Geomancer: 6 - a bit too random for my tastes, but it's nice to have a carrier class for your mages.
Dragoon: 5 - Another solid though lackluster physical class.
Viking: 3.5 - even more lackluster! And they don't even look like Dwarves now... Where are their beards?
Dark Knight: 6 - physical class with its own niche (MT)!
Evoker: 6.5 - Your attack mage will probably be this at some point.
Bard: 2 - NotaFreelancer/10
Black Belt: 3.5 - lackluster physical class, but now gotten even later!
Magus: 7 - One of two real options for your endgame attack mage. Might've been higher but it is sharing its niche with Summoner.
Devout: 6.5 - Pretty awesome, but sharing its niche with a startup job is embarrassing.
Sage: 6.5 - I feel like this is the better endgame option for your primary healer, who can then use attack magic as a backup plan.
Ninja: 7.5 - Your only good option for an endgame physical class if you're going to grind it out. Loses to warrior on the basis of Warrior needing less investment.
Summoner: 7 - Your other option for an endgame attack mage. You do need endgame magic damage, gotta get it somewhere.
Onion Knight: DNR?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 11, 2014, 09:28:26 PM »
Freelancer: 1/10. Useless, replace immediately.
Warrior: 8/10. Decent enough speed and physical durability, and just the best at direct offence. Has the usual melee fighter weaknesses of iffy MDef and needing to be in the front row, but you definitely want one of them anyway.
Thief: 6/10. Fast and reasonably damaging. Fragile however. Benefits a bit from parts of the game when they have decent ranged offence.
Monk: 4/10. There's nothing really wrong with Monk, but there's not much reason to use them either. They're fairly low-cost at least.
Red Mage: 4/10. The skillset feels too limited. They're somewhat durable later but eh, non-proactive durability in most RPGs, whatever.
Black Mage: 6/10. Fairly good early, bonus point for being the best class for certain places where you are auto-minied.
White Mage: 6/10. Okay healbot.
Knight: 3/10. "upgrade" to warrior? Their damage sucks, their speed sucks. The auto-cover and white magic levels are nice but this is still pretty blar.
Scholar: 4/10. I always feel they're kinda even with knight, trading durability for damage (mostly with items, but books hit surprisingly hard). Bonus point for Hyne.
Ranger: 5/10. Takes a bit to get rolling but the elemental arrows are solid and Barrage gets pretty nasty as time goes on.
Geomancer: 6/10. Solid though a bit unreliable.
Dragoon: 5.5/10. Unremarkable fighter option which gets a bonus half point for Garuda.
Viking: 4/10. I kinda like Provoke (initiative draw fire + defence down on a slow, tanky class), but its accuracy does leave something to be desired, and the class is awful outside that.
Dark Knight: 5/10. Darkness is neat, though yeah they have some equip problems which keeps them from shining as a melee option.
Evoker: 5/10. Okay attack mage with some random healing.
Bard: 3/10. The buffs keep it from being crap.
Black Belt: 1.5/10. I guess they're better than Freelancer but hahaha incredibly JL-reliant class gained late.
Magus: 6.5/10. The only class which felt like it maintained the useful FF3o status thank to their very high Int and plentiful castings of Warp and Break.
Devout: 7.5/10. The most important job to have against the evil final boss sequence. Use this at the end, no questions asked. Maybe two.
Sage: 6/10. Devout with better (still trashy) offence in exchange for less speed. That's a losing trade but Sage + Devout has a decent case over Devout x2 for the last bit.
Ninja: 5/10. Throw's nice at least, and they have good stats. JLs are a problem of course.
Summoner: 5/10. On paper they're good but in practice you just don't face enough multi-enemy fights late in FF3DS, way too many solos.
Onion Knight: DNR / pass

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 17, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »
Final Fantasy 3 (DS):
Freelancer: 1/10.  Pointless.  The one point is for the 5% of the game you're required to use them.
Warrior: 8/10.  Best physical Job in the game, and around a long time.  Why not higher?  Because other physical jobs aren't so far behind that replacing them with something else is do-able.
Thief: 5/10.  It's pretty bad in the first half of the game, but gets actually fairly good in the second half.  Was considering higher except that you kind of want to use one in that first half, at least part way, for it to be good in that second half.  Steal in theory is neat for Scholar for hording Bomb Arms, I guess, but don't think I can give too much credit for that.
Monk: 6/10.  I can see giving this higher if you got a lot of JLevels on it such it's Unarmed Attack actually does good damage; for me, that was never the case, so what we had was a decent but not-spectacular physical fighter who gets outclassed.  Mostly good first half to be alongside Warrior so you can save cash, equips, etc.
Red Mage: 8/10.  Weird Job where everything sort of falls into place.  The JLevels they get let their Healing magic be sufficient the entire game, have the rare combination of Mage-level Magic Defense and offense that comes close to Physical Fighters (Physicals > Magic in this game), and in worst case scenario, can double up on shields, go in back row, and work as tank healers.  Resources are a little low at first, but honestly, the pay off is well worth it.
Black Mage: 5/10.  Pretty much the opposite of the Thief.  IT's got a strong first half, having Bows for damage, and magic being actually decent, but really weak second half.  Thief's 2nd Half > Black Mage's first half, though, offset by Black Mage being good out of the gate.
White Mage: 6/10.  Battery Healer, the fact that Red Mage is actually good this game at a lot of what White Mage has does hurt it's appeal value though.  Main reason to use it is for the MP.
Knight: 3/10.  Tank PC that isn't as tanky as you'd think because Knight Armor gets outclassed and doesn't upgrade until Diamond Stuff shows up, Cover is unreliable since enemies often hit past the near dead status or use Magic, and on top of that, has a legitimate Mid-Game Weapon Lag, where Blood Sword is it's best until Defenders, and Defenders are it's best until the Labyrinth (Stoneblade.)  All other jobs get SOMETHING to compensate (Warrior's Axes, Red Mage's utility, Dark Knight's Katanas, etc.), Knight does not, and it already has some offensive issues.  Ragnarok + Excalibur does give it legitimate offense to be fair, but that's final dungeon only.
Scholar: 5/10.  Weird Job.  If you use one the entire game, they're actually worth something, but if you ever stop using one, they won't be.  The big thing they have going for them is your best source of Magic Damage by far due to Double Damage Spell Items, which are great for nuking bosses, specifically CoD's Tentacles.  Their damage is better than you'd expect, and they have Mage Magic Defense, but if you're going that route, you'd probably be questioning "Why not just use Red Mage?"
Ranger: 4/10.  Turns into something decent after a point, but generally not worth it.
Geomancer: 4/10.  I never saw what was amazing about them; they are good at first but really don't last.  The random chance of Shadow Flare is a gimmick, but again, unreliable.
Dragoon: 6.5/10.  Solid Physical Job with an OP Weapon available early, and Blood Lance gimmick.  Loses half a point since it really needs Gungnir to be worth something, which is a permanently miss-able item.
Viking: 6/10.  What Knights wish they were.  Provoke is way more reliable than Cover, their unique defensive gear is way better, and they've got better weapons throughout the game offsetting their worse hits (Knight is the only job that doesn't just destroy them on hits.)
Dark Knight: 6/10.  Soul Eater is a rare case of good MT damage, and they have no problems with good weapons.  Flaw?  Shit armor selection for quite a while making them a little too Glass Cannon for my likings.
Evoker: 4/10.  Nerfed so bad from their FF3o self it's not even funny.  Ok, Ifrit's Healing is great, and Titan is ok reliable damage, but Shiva and Ramuh have awfully unreliable status, Chocobo is an unreliable Run Away, and the 3 Elemental Summons damage just isn't as good as you'd like.
Bard: 2/10.  People argue they have these cool uses but the numbers suggest otherwise.  sorry if I can't respect 10% Free MT Healing when Red Mage's single MT Cura heals way more.
Black Belt: 1/10.  AHAHAHAAHHAHAAH no.  Upgrade of a Monk...in theory.  In practice, Monk has all those JLevels making it a way better job...and this Job is JLevel intensive to boot.
Magus: 4/10.  Don't really respect status this late seeing as your offense in Eureka is high enough to cut things down fast, and enemies in the Side Quest areas are even worse.
Devout: 7/10.  Yeah, you want one of these for the final dungeon...
Sage: 7/10.  Or one of these, if not both.
Ninja: 6/10.  Decent physical job, though not spectacular.  I guess Throw lets it take a defensive build (wanna say it can use Genji Shield) for bosses, which is a gimmick.
Summoner: 4/10.  Good for Eureka and Side Quest areas, where you fight groups, kind of meh elsewhere.  It's only use in the final dungeon is blowing up one of the CoD's Tentacles, and really, Sage does that fine (or Scholar if you're using one) while also bringing another Healer in the mix.  The fact that it's late and the fact that 3 of the 4 late game dungeons are heavily "Single Large Enemies" formations instead of groups really kills this job's use.  Bahamut's good damage, but decent physical jobs compete.
Onion Knight: 1/10.  Gimmick Job gotten via Mognet shenanigans only *flush*
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 17, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »
Final Fantasy 3 (DS):
Freelancer: 1/10.  To be gotten out of as soon as possible pretty much.
Warrior: 9/10.  Physical attackers rule FF3DS, and Warrior is the best of them.
Thief: 7/10.  Surprisingly good attacker, though not as good as warrior.  Back row damage is a nice niche.  Slight issue with late blooming.
Monk: 6/10.  Basically Warrior-.  Still a physical attacker.
Red Mage: 8/10.  Almost as good offense as Warrior without Advance, can heal decently well, and gets mage-level magic defense (which is important in this game).  Using Red Mages for offensive magic is a trap, don't do it beyond the water crystal.
Black Mage: 3/10.  They're better than Freelancers.  However, their edge on damage magic is pretty small for the portion of the game where damage magic is worth using; I'd rather just use a Red Mage, as they're perfectly adequate for the parts where you NEED damage magic (mini dungeons) and have much more longevity.
White Mage: 7/10.  You'll need one eventually for long-term healing (there are parts of the game where RM healing alone doesn't hold up that come before Devout unlocks).
Knight: 4/10.  Probably the second-worst physical job in the game.  Bad offense due to severe weapon availability issues, and they don't actually do their main role (tanking) well.  Meh.
Scholar: 8/10 on DS, 5/10 on iOS/PSP.  Basically, see Meeple's comments.  I give them +3 points on DS because of the existence of an item dupe bug that gives them a bottomless supply of attack items.
Ranger: 5/10.  Meh, thief is better at back row attack niche.
Geomancer: 5/10.  Functional, not great.  Unreliable.
Dragoon: 6/10.  Decent physical attacker, quite great when you first get it but kind of plateaus.  +1 point if used in conjunction with a thief so you can get extra Gungnir.
Viking: 6/10.  Knight+, for all that I feel that tanking isn't terribly useful in this game, they're at least good at it.
Dark Knight: 7/10.  Souleater's probably gamebest MT damage, but that's only worth so much.  They're good physical attackers without it though.
Evoker: 2/10.  Unreliable mages that come beyond the point where magic starts to fall behind.
Bard: 4/10.  I'm not gonna claim they're good but I've found ways to make them useful before.  But they're definitely not good.
Black Belt: 1/10.  Gameworst job (not counting Freelancer).  Literally the only use of Black Belt is maximizing HP gains on levelup to prepare for the aftergame bonus bosses, Monk will be better at everything Black Belt does if you've leveled it at all.
Magus: 2/10.  It's Black Mage+ after damage magic has badly fallen behind.  No thanks.
Devout: 6/10.  It's White Mage+.  Scores lower due to job level dependence (you will notice a dropoff in MT healing numbers when you make the switch and for a good while after).
Sage: 5/10.  I don't get Sage hype in FF3DS.  Their speed sucks, they heal worse than devouts, attack magic isn't useful, and they don't get full summoning to boot.  All of that adds up to Devout- for me.  The only niche I can see for them is packing a few status spells from black magic in their list, and maybe Flare, but see Meeple's comments re: status.  That said, I do agree with NEB that Sage+Devout > Devout x2.
Ninja: 6/10.  Best back row attacker there is, if you can afford the shuriken spam.
Summoner: 3/10.  See Black Mage/Magus comments.  Crowd control job in a game that has very few crowds later on.
Onion Knight: DNR, gimmick job that requires silly wi-fi sidequest on DS, and requires excessive grinding no matter what.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:31:27 PM by Reiska »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 19, 2014, 02:33:17 AM »
All the ratings below can be completely blamed on whoever posts immediately after me.  So if there's anything you disagree with, you know who to take it out on!

Average   Std. Dev.
Freelancer   1.2   0.45
Warrior   8.1   0.55
Thief   5.8   0.84
Monk   5.2   0.84
Red Mage   6.3   1.92
Black Mage   4.4   1.14
White Mage   6.3   0.45
Knight   3.8   0.84
Scholar   4.4   2.51
Ranger   4   1
Geomancer   5.6   1.14
Dragoon   5.8   0.57
Viking   4.5   1.41
Dark Knight   6   0.71
Evoker   4.5   1.66
Bard   2.6   0.89
Black Belt   1.8   1.04
Magus   4.9   2.01
Devout   6.8   0.57
Sage   6.1   0.74
Ninja   5.9   1.02
Summoner   4.8   1.48
Onion Knight   N/A N/A

Full Cast Standard Deviation: 1.62

Best Rating and Worst Rating would be redundant to state now because I bolded and italicized them respectively.  YES I AM THAT LAZY!

MOVING ON! We have DISNEY and JAPANESE NAMES!

Kingdom Hearts:
Sora:
Donald:
Goofy:
Tarzan:
Aladdin:
Ariel:
Jack Skellington:
Peter Pan:
Beast:

Persona 3:
Minato:
Junpei:
Yukari:
Akihiko:
Mitsuru:
Koromaru:
Ken:
Aigis:
Shinjiro:

SIDE NOTE: If you're going to post multiple ratings for a character, please make it clear which one you want counted into the averages (be it via bolding, text, etc.).  Otherwise, I'm taking the first rating I see.  This is more of a reminder than anything else.  I am bringing it up now because from my understanding, one of these games could very well have multiple ratings per character.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 21, 2014, 05:53:52 AM »
Persona 3:

The first number I give (the one you should probably use, Meeple) assumes AI control as in the PS2 versions (I don't think the differences between vanilla and FES are especially notable enough to change ratings much).  The second number is for P3P assuming manual control.

Minato Arisato/Protagonist: 10/10 PS2, 9/10 PSP.  One of the most broken characters to ever grace an RPG period.  He loses a point on PSP because of the really broken fusion spells being a bit less accessible in that version, and because he's now weapon-locked - the male protagonist uses only rapiers (and a distinct set of them from Mitsuru) while the female protagonist uses only naginata.  There's no mechanical difference between the male and female protagonists worth mentioning, certainly nothing that would affect the rating (I do find the female protagonist's battle initation timing to be slightly easier, though).

Junpei Iori: 4/10 PS2, 5/10 PSP.  His durability is non-special, his magic is bad so he's poor at triggering One Mores, and on PS2 in particular, his skillset is loaded with redundancies.  P3P improves his skillset enough to give him an extra point (he trades Deathbound and Assault Dive for Fire Break and Brave Blade), but he still feels like one of the weakest PCs overall in spite of this improvement.  AI control doesn't make much difference on him overall.

Yukari Takeba: 6/10 both versions.  Earlygame healer with notable durability issues later who has some serious issues doing damage (her only meaningful offensive option is wind magic).  The AI usually plays her competently, too, so manual control of her isn't worth a point.

Akihiko Sanada: 6/10 PS2, 8/10 PSP.  His skillset didn't change between versions, but in my experience, manual control allows much more effective use of his debuffs (getting the AI to use them over just nuking required a fair bit of annoying micromanagement, IIRC), and Persona 3 debuffs are really damn good.

Mitsuru Kirijo: 5/10 PS2, 7/10 PSP.  Like Akihiko, manual control is such an improvement on her (no more wasted turns spamming Marin Karin or Tentarafoo on shit she could just OHKO).  She just doesn't bring as much to the table as Akihiko does, though.

Koromaru: 4.5/10 PS2, 6/10 PSP.  Koromaru's skillset got revamped like Junpei's, somewhat more extensively at that.  He gives up Evil Smile and Fire Break in exchange for Mudo Boost and Masukukaja - a sharply winning trade, if you ask me.  The only thing he doesn't do better than Junpei is straight physical damage, really.

Ken Amada: 6/10 PS2, 7/10 PSP.  In P3P, Ken trades Hama Boost for Primal Force, which I feel is more or less even since Ken lacks Mahamaon to really capitalize on Hama Boost.  He was pretty much always a better Yukari, and P3P makes him a slightly better better Yukari, but not half a point worth, really.  EDIT: After thinking on it for a while, AI issues in the PS2 version are enough to downgrade him a point, yeah.

Aigis: 5.5/10 PS2, 7.5/10 PSP.  See Akihiko, being able to control her makes her immensely more effective as a support PC.  Her damage is still kind of bad at base, but P3P makes her a reliable force multiplier for the rest of the team enough to justify her use.

Shinjiro: 6/10 both versions.  He's basically a better Junpei while you have him.  Shrug. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:07:44 AM by Reiska »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #981 on: January 26, 2014, 06:49:25 PM »
Kingdom Hearts:
Sora: 8/10
Donald: 6/10
Goofy: 4/10
Tarzan: 5/10
Aladdin: 4/10
Ariel: 5/10
Jack Skellington: 4/10
Peter Pan: 3/10
Beast: 6/10

Persona 3:
Minato: 10/10
Junpei: 3/10
Yukari: 7/10.  While you can get away without using Yukari (generally by running Mitsuru/Akihiko/Aigis together), it's not really worth it.
Akihiko: 6/10.   
Mitsuru: 5/10.
Koromaru: 4/10.
Ken: 4/10.
Aigis: 5/10.
Shinjiro: 3/10.  If P3 had leaked experience he'd be higher (he's pretty good really, no weaknesses and all), but as is you have to let another PC fall behind to use him.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #982 on: January 27, 2014, 01:44:18 AM »
Kingdom Hearts:
Sora: 9 - Let's be honest, you basically have to solo this game because the AI of your teammates is crap.
Donald: 5.5 - I feel like I'm weighting the ally performance. Donald's not really much of a 5.5, but he occasionally does something good.
Goofy: 3 - Unlike this loser, who is always the one I replace when I have an option.
Tarzan: 5 - Is fast and does damage sometimes!
Aladdin: 4 - Better than Goofy!
Ariel: 6 - Has magic and tends to use it semi-intelligently!
Jack Skellington: 4 - Better than Goofy!
Peter Pan: 4 - Ditto!
Beast: 5 - Does damage and doesn't die easily! I wonder if I shouldn't lower all of these non-Sora scores by a point?

Persona 3:
Minato: 10/10 - Probably fits the definition of 11/10.
Junpei: 4 - Low end middling PC, better when there are less options, but not actually -bad-.
Yukari: 6 - yay healing
Akihiko: 6 - Saves your ass!
Mitsuru: 5.5 - For all that manual control would be better, I still will happily take a Marin Karin casting over most of the other crap these AI idiots do.
Koromaru: 3.5 - would probably be better on Manual control? ID with AI and enemies that can reflect spells in a game where MC death=game over, no thanks
Ken: 5 - See Koro, but has healing so possibly worth the risk.
Aigis: 7 - Use her, she's got that Orgia mode and the durability and few weaknesses and solid physical and magical damage.
Shinjiro: 2 - Not a game you wanna be using temps in. Probably still only a 4 as a permanent PC.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 28, 2014, 05:14:58 AM »
Persona 3: Gonna rate the PSP version here, since it's the one I played most recently.
Minato: 10/10. Kinda a no brainer here.
Junpei: 4/10. Solid enough early, falls off late.
Yukari: 7/10. I overvalue healing. This is nothing new.
Akihiko: 8/10. Non-Minato MVP cleanly. The debuffs are great, he has no real weakspots other then the elemental weakness, does essentially everything and does it all well.
Mitsuru: 7/10. Really solid attack mage.
Koromaru: 5/10. Cleanly better then Junpei, but feels....well, like he really just doesn't bring enough to the table to use him over Mitsuru, Akihiko or Aigis.
Ken: 5/10. Maybe this is just "it's been awhile" but I really do not recall Ken being a good enough healer to replace Yukari. He's still not bad, though. But like Koro, Light/Dark feel like things better left to Minato when they come up, having elemental coverage is more important.
Aigis: 7/10. The MT buffs are nice. I found her worse then any of the mages vs randoms, but a hell of a boss slugger. I'll call it evened out to same score as Mitsuru.
Shinjiro: 4/10. Physical powerhouse in a game where elemental weaknesses are the big thing to capitalize on.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 28, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
Kingdom Hearts:

Sora: 8.5/10. Hard to rate your only controlled character, but feels right. Sora's skillset is pretty much hands down the best in the game and he even sticks on top of the damage curve throughout. Huge degree of control over his growth also tips him over pretty much definitely. I only don't hand him a 9 because he benefits through osmose from a systemic build.
Donald: 6.5/10. Durability sucks, but hey look Sora's magic skillset in his hands and he doesn't fail at using it, and that's a pretty big part of what makes Sora good. Being an additional heal battery's also nice.
Goofy: 3.5/10. His offense is anemic, but his support isn't -entirely- useless. Pretty bad overall, though.
Tarzan: 4.5/10. Subpar healing and bad offense, I guess. Worth -something-, certainly subbing him over Goofy.
Aladdin: 2.5/10. His damage is -appalling-. Only thing he's really capable of is tying enemies up to some degree, and I'm not even sure he does that better than Goofy.
Ariel: 6/10. Decently solid. Healing is decent and she has -a lot of offense- when she rams enemies right. Also good at tying them up with said offense.
Jack Skellington: 5/10. Actually not bad, weirdly, especially considering he's a goddamned attack mage in KH1. Gravity plays a part in that, since Grav spells are -nasty-.
Peter Pan: 2.5/10. The stage does him no favors and his AI is astoundingly stupid. It completely wastes the decent base damage and quirky skillset.
Beast: 6/10. Saves your ass in a section where you badly need him to and is passable otherwise. Certainly worth as high a score as Ariel, I guess.

Persona 3:
Minato Arisato: 10/10. Just dominatingly powerful from start to finish even ignoring the AI woes. He has no growing pains like Yu does (starts out glaringly superior instead of more versatile, but with ups and downs) and is designed to be able to solo the game if necessary.
Junpei Iori: 2.5/10. Game-worst PC hands down, there's just no -reason- to use him ever. Specializing in physicals running off bad mults and a sketchy stat build in such a mage-centric game is asking for trouble.
Yukari Takeba: 7.5/10. The only reason I don't hand her an 8 is her sketchy offense due to no Boosts and Amps. Even with boosting accessories, she falls behind the curve because the equips stack with the skills. Otherwise, you have no reason to sub her away once she gets going, since P3 punishes you for rotating party members and you don't want to run without at least -one- backup dedicated healer.
Akihiko Sanada: 5/10. Solid stat build and he can play the red mage game decently, but getting him to apply debuffs is a pain in the ass. They're less potent in P3 than P4 as well.
Mitsuru Kirijo: 6/10. Dominating as far as pure mages go (Ice feels like the best in-game element). The bad AI with status keeps her from going any higher, but TENTARAFOO hilariously trivialized some boss fights for me before.
Koromaru: 5/10. He's actually the second-best mage and has a powerful, sorta overlevelled start, running off upgraded Persona stats at a point nobody has an upgrade - and stays that way for a while. Problem is when he decides using Mudo, which sucks. He's also very one-dimensional, lacking even healing.
Ken Amada: 4/10. Sub-Yukari offense, running off a sketchy element that's better covered by someone else and starts underskilled for healing duty. Durability is better than Yukari and his elemental weakness is less dangerous on average, but, once again, the game openly punishes you for rotating party members outside a Koro case.
Aigis: 3.5/10. I find Aigis openly inferior to almost all your options until the lategame, at which point it doesn't even matter. Relying on mostly ST physicals for offense blows in P3 and her support skillset (i.e. her long-term selling point) not only stays crappy for a long time, but it's also marred by the Akihiko clause. Orgia Mode is a double-edged sword, but it can be cool. She probably gains ridiculously from P3P due to her benefitting so heavily from actual control, but that's not the version I played.
Shinjiro Aragaki: 3/10.. His physicals are at least powerful compared to everybody else's but he's a goddamn XP trap in a game that punishes you for rotating party members as -is-.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 31, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »
Kingdom Hearts:
Sora: 8.5/10.  Is the work horse of the team being the only playable character, capable of fulfilling many roles, though he's not overpowered about it.
Donald: 7/10.  Low durability and weak early game, but he gets all the spells Sora gets, so he can keep you alive with healing and Aero, while shoving Stop and Gravity on opponents.
Goofy: 3.5/10.  Lots of HP and Item slots...which unfortunately does not make up for his iffiness on all other fronts.  MP Gift sounds good in theory, but you get MP Back so fast you don't really care.
Tarzan: 5/10.  Healing before you have cure, otherwise kind of eh. 
Aladdin: 3/10.  Uh, yeah, nothing really going for him whatsoever other than locking opponents down.
Ariel: 6/10.  A lesser version of Donald, the extra healing alone makes you feel immortal during the Atalantica arc.
Jack Skellington: 5/10.  SOlid offensive mage with no real notable failings but doesn't really stand out either.
Peter Pan: 3/10.  See Aladdin, really.
Beast: 6.5/10.  Actually capable melee brawler whose strong enough to deal with all threats during the part of the game where Sora is completely awful.  Nothing special once Sora stops being worthless, but the use during that point gives him the extra half a point.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 31, 2014, 09:41:13 PM »
Sora: 8/10
Donald: 6/10
Goofy: 3/10
Tarzan: 4/10
Aladdin: 4/10
Ariel: 6/10
Jack Skellington: 3/10
Peter Pan: 3/10
Beast: 5/10
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 01, 2014, 06:10:07 PM »
Persona 3:

Minato Arisato/Makoto Yuuki: 10/10.  Pretty straightforward, if you ask me, with a stronger wildcard than Narukami and the ability to -solo the entire game-.

Junpei Iori: 3.5/10.  He does what he's supposed to early on (tank fire, hit things), and he gets half a point for his usefulness against Sleeping Table on higher difficulties (OHKO-grade Maragidyne makes fire resist a necessity), but other than that he's not that good.

Yukari Takeba: 4/10.  Good earlygame healer.  However, given that in most cases lategame ST healing is either sufficient (Akihiko, Mitsuru, and Aigis all have Diarahan) or once again handled by the main (who is just broken).  Both of whom lack the offense or durability issues she has.

Akihiko Sanada: 6/10.  Fairly decent red mage early, goes into generalist caster later where he becomes a more durable less-damaging Mitsuru.

Mitsuru Kirijo: 5.5/10.  MARIN FUCKING KARIN docks her a point.  Otherwise I distinctly remember her being worthy of mainlining lategame courtesy of good magic and Mind Charge.

Koromaru: 5/10.  Magic is largely superior in P3 (excluding Vorpal Blade shenanigans), so he ranks easily above Junpei.  Starting out Fire-immune and having ID which he doesn't use stupidly helps a lot.  Also a big help against Sleeping Table on higher difficulties.

Ken Amada: 4/10.  Felt a lot worse than Koromaru, particularly since Akihiko was already a competent lightning user and Ken had a frustrating tendency to go for Cruel Attack when possible instead of angling for more knockdowns.

Aigis: 4.5/10.  Didn't use the buffs to her advantage, but is still a better healer than Yukari.

Shinjiro Aragaki: 4.25/10.  Lack of weaknesses counts for a -lot- defensively in P3, and this on top of a non-terrible critical rate.  While he is an XP sink, I found him useful for a few situations in particular.  I'd probably rate him higher if he weren't a temp.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 02, 2014, 02:12:15 AM »
   Average   Std. Dev.
Sora   8.4   0.42
Donald   6.2   0.57
Goofy   3.4   0.42
Tarzan   4.5   0.71
Aladdin   3.5   0.71
Ariel   5.8   0.45
Jack Skellington   4.2   0.84
Peter Pan   3.1   0.55
Beast   5.7   0.67

Standard Deviation: 1.71

Persona 3:
   Average   Std. Dev.
Minato   10   0
Junpei   3.5   0.63
Yukari   6.25   1.25
Akihiko   6.17   0.98
Mitsuru   5.67   0.75
Koromaru   4.5   0.63
Ken   4.67   0.82
Aigis   5.42   1.39
Shinjiro   3.71   1.38

Standard Deviation: 1.94

Best rating of this session: Minato w/ 10.00
Worst rating of this session: Peter Pan w/ 3.10

Congrats to Minato for the perfect 10.00 score.

Moving on, we have one game, one bonus round and one person being smacked with a large bag of rice should they post directly after me!
NOTE: May Not be any rice involved.

Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete:
Hiro:
Gwyn:
Lucia:
Ronfar:
Jean:
Lemina:
Leo:

BONUS ROUND!!!

RATE THAT LAWYER!

This is involves rating the character at how good they are at their job.  No, I'm not sure what that means, that's for you guys to figure out.  This isn't based necessarily on "How good of a character they are!" but rather, how good of a Lawyer they are.  Also only factoring ni Lawyers who play a legitimate role in a case as something other than a Victim or Defendant, hence why someone like Lana Skye isn't on this list.

Ace Attorney Series:
Phoenix Wright:
Mia Fey:
Apollo Justice:
Athena Cykes:

Winston Payne:
Miles Edgeworth:
Manfred von Karma:
Franziska von Karma:
Godot:
Klavier Gavin:
Gaspen Payne:
Simon Blackquill:

NOTE: I did not factor in Ace Attorney Investigations because of a bunch of grey areas, and one of the games not coming state side. 

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 02, 2014, 03:09:59 AM »
really gotta get around to playing those.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: February 04, 2014, 01:51:22 AM »
Hiro: 8/10. Solid character, fast and decent offense throughout. Probably more of a 7.5 for most of the game but the ending spike is something, so sure, 8 works.
Gwyn: 4/10. He's okay, provides healing at least. If you reach higher levels than I did he gets a great ability against Guardian, but not giving much credit for that.
Lucia: 2/10. In theory she's a source of infinite healing but blah.
Ronfar: 6/10. Being a healer in a game like Lunar is really good, and Ronfar has no bad stats or anything, but he's really bad at everything that isn't healing (damage, skillset) so I have a hard time giving him a better score than this.
Jean: 7/10. Her status magic is okay, otherwise she is a Hiro variant, does the damage at high speed. Falls off some at the end. I'd give her half a point more if she didn't take a while to pick up her first big-damage tech, although her base physicals are solid even before then at least.
Lemina: 4/10. Slow and fragile; good damage isn't enough to offset this combination.
Leo: 5/10. I dunno, he's a competent enough warm body, certainly an improvement on Lucia. Lack of speed costs him compared to Hiro/Jean though.

BONUS ROUND!!!

RATE THAT LAWYER!

Scoring their proven abilities as an attorney in court.

Ace Attorney Series:
Phoenix Wright: 8/10 I dunno. He's not great at first, needs Mia to help him a lot especially in the first few cases. Gets better as the series goes on though (2-4 and 3-2 we get to see him even use his abilities for untruthful causes), and he feels kinda godmode by Trials and Tribulations. I feel like he may backslide a bit in Dual Destinies but maybe that's just the quality of the opposition. Overall still ends up pretty good though, just because Phoenix at his best is the best defence attorney we actually see in action.
Mia Fey: Pass. Plotwise Mia is probably comparable to Phoenix; T&T even ends with the implication that he has "caught up" to her. Unfortunately for Mia, when she's playable we kinda see her at her worst; she barely seems capable of doing much that is clever and struggles with some relatively easy opposition. So I suppose I should give her a really low score but that doesn't feel right.
Apollo Justice: 5/10. I'm not certain. In AJ, Apollo isn't allowed to stand on his own much, with either Phoenix or Klavier bailing him out a bunch, I felt. By Dual Destinies he's doing a bit better, I think, although having Athena with him helped.
Athena Cykes: 5/10. Seems really weak in 5-1, but then we realise there's a plot reason for that. Fairly competent in 5-3, but I'd like to see more from her before giving her a higher score.

Winston Payne: 3/10. Yeah, he's bad. Even in his first chronlogical appearance where he's an arrogant fucker, he doesn't present much meaningful opposition.
Miles Edgeworth: 9/10, though varies a bit (weaker in PW1, stronger in AAI and DD?). He's really good; highly intelligent. I don't think he's quite as good at the nasty prosecutorial traps as the von Karmas but yeah, best attorney in the series at thinking things and often figuring out Phoenix's logic before Phoenix does.
Manfred von Karma: 10/10. Yeah, no question, this is perfection. While there's quite a few characters I like more than him, there is nobody who runs a trial quite like he does. Completely controls the flow of the trial and the judge's mood in a way that other prosecutors may try to imitate, but nobody has ever matched. You could never face this guy repeatedly the way you do most of the others because it would be completely unbelievable that you'd win against him often; he was undefeated (and all but unpenalised) for 40 years for a reason.
Franziska von Karma: 8.5/10. Not quite as meticulous a planner as her father, and not quite as intelligent as her brother. Still the second best at controlling a trial and setting traps, and no slouch at arguments and logic either.
Godot: 2/10. He's kind of a joke; misses obvious things and it feels like anything good that happens for the prosecution in his trial is due to the killers, not him. Gets some points for having presence I guess, but not really. The two and a half trials of Phoenix vs. Godot are easily the most curbstomp showing by the defence attorney in the series. Diego Armando is presumably a decently competent defence attorney but we never see that.
Klavier Gavin: 4.5/10. I like Klavier but he's pretty weak as an opponent. I'm a little rusty on watching him at work (haven't played AJ myself in years) but scoring him around Apollo feels right... he does see some things Apollo does sometimes, but he also has some rather memorable obvious things he misses, and in general doesn't take the job as seriously as he probably should.
Gaspen Payne: 3/10. Blah. Same as Winston I guess, just more annoying.
Simon Blackquill: 7/10. Pretty smart, capable guy, but he's not Edgeworth-level bright and isn't willing to do immoral/illegal things to win, which hurts him compared to the others. Very good at influencing the judge's mood despite this, at least.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: February 04, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »
Hiro: 7/10.  Generally solid.
Gwyn: 4/10
Lucia: 3/10.  Bleh.  Lunar 2 makes you care about MP enough the score is not totally horrible here.
Ronfar: 6/10.  Absolutely key member of your team as the only reliable healer, and I suspect his random revive-all is rigged in your favor, but bleh vs. randoms.
Jean: 7/10.  She is at her strongest when the game is most difficult, Disc 2.  Her relative fall-off at the end is very very late, and she's serviceable if unspecial on Disc 1.
Lemina: 3/10.  Nice MP well for Crests at least.
Leo: 6/10.  Tanky reliable damage.

Rankings of "how good a lawyer" on a scale that includes something approaching ethics, which would indicate that the entire PW legal system sucks and is horrendously unfair and needs to be dismantled immediately, and noticing this fact should override all else, and more generally not granting any credit for winning via "cheating" (e.g. intentionally withholding crucial information to the other side to make things more dramatic when revealed in the trial):
Phoenix: 6/10.  Shows some awareness that things are bad in 4-4 with "reform" efforts, continues with efforts against the Dark Age of the Law in DD...  although the game seems to think this is an unusual abberation rather than the expected result.  Aura was right to not trust the legal system.
Edgeworth: 5/10.  See Phoenix for DD actions, he apparently has a reformist streak despite being the DA and thus weirdly powerless.  Hard to say though, classic Edgey would be a 2/10.
Klavier: 4/10.  Is not up in revolt, but is also like the only DA who isn't trying to actively hide things from the defense and is outright friendly with Apollo.  Flip side, he doesn't drop the charges ASAP in 4-3 / 4-4 like he by all rights should have, but blah.
Everyone else: 2/10.  Is not up in revolt.
Manfred: 0/10.  Is a criminal who probably falsely imprisoned lots of people even aside from his other actions.

Okay, okay, yeah, that isn't the fun way to look at it!  Okay, rankings strictly based on perceived "likelihood to win a case" with some allowance for the prosecutors about how they're rigged to usually lose in-game.

Ace Attorney Series:
Phoenix Wright: 8/10 by the end, sure.  Why he has money problems after so many successful murder defenses we'll never know.
Mia Fey: DNR, see Elf. 
Apollo Justice: 7/10, but hard to rate, yeah.  Case 4-3 & 4-4 have issues and not the best place for him to show off.  Regardless DD plays him as 2nd banana to Phoenix, but not a bad person to be compared to.
Athena Cykes: 3/10.  Athena's a great character but no I don't want an 18-year old doing my murder defense, thanks, she can be co-pilot and learn the ropes for awhile.  The game also explicitly criticizes her for total bullshit reasons in 5-3, but I guess she's supposed to be psychic or something about things the prosecution didn't tell her, and 5-3 is weird in general.  It's really the script's fault but she isn't getting a great score when the script features lots of Phoenix / Apollo hand-holding and the judge criticizing her.

Winston Payne: 3/10.  He's not a moron - he has a nice pathos in 4-1 - but he clearly draws the loser cases.  Hard to rank for obvious reasons.
Miles Edgeworth: 8/10.  Phoenix's rival -> he must have the same score.  Seems to fit, anyway.
Manfred von Karma: 10/10.  Well since the script says he's allowed to just boss the judge around, and nobody seems to care when he commits crimes in pursuit of winning his case, yeah, he's kinda unstoppable.  Makes him a good villain, at least.
Franziska von Karma: 3/10.  Unlike Elf, I'm not sure where he gets the competence vibe from. She's played almost as comic relief villainy, and is impetuous and immature - give an 18 year-old a grudge and absolute power and a license to attack people in the courtroom, I guess.  And these flaws all come back to haunt her, repeatedly!  Even in AAI, where she's theoretically some Interpol person, she lashes out on the wrong track several times out of deranged sibling rivalry.  About the only thing she deserves "credit" for is JFA letting her amp up the judge penalties way high for insta-kills, but that's more a gameplay thing.
Godot: 3/10.  Godot wants to mess with Phoenix, not particularly win his cases, yeah.
Klavier Gavin: 6/10.  Hard to judge.  On the evilness scale, Klavier is by far the most sympathetic prosecutor in the entire series, never pulling dickish moves, not "cheating" very much, etc.  Anyway, see Apollo but subtract some points due to losing 4-2.
Gaspen Payne: 3/10?  But really the police's fault, a bombing is serious business and they apparently forgot to investigate even remotely competently.  BUT BUT we should disrespect him because he entirely rationally ran off after another bomb threat from someone who likely just performed a bombing?!  Yeah no, come on guys.  (It's not like there's any sane "escape" anyway if the worry is the witness running off.)
Simon Blackquill: 8/10.  He puts on a good show in his cases, and he has the smarts to attempt to NOT call the obviously unreliable real-killer witness in 5-2.  He has some fun moments in 5-5 too.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:08:24 AM by SnowFire »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #992 on: February 04, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
Hiro: 7/10.
Gwyn: 5/10.
Lucia: 3/10.
Ronfar: 6/10.
Jean: 7/10.
Lemina: 5/10.
Leo: 5/10.

RATE THAT LAWYER!

I'm inclined to vote them in the context of their ability to function within the confines of PW's system of law.  It seems to be adversarial (so the job of prosecutors is to shoot down defense theories of the crime, while the job of the defense are to question the validity of evidence), but more notably we won't be judging based on The Ends Justify the Means :D tm

Ace Attorney Series:
Phoenix Wright: 8/10.  Undeniably effective.  That he doesn't let injustice go even when DISBARRED is a point, but while it's a necessary evil, he's pretty clearly violating PW evidence law during the trilogy, essentially blackmailing poor Gumshoe into telling him what's up.
Mia Fey: DNR.  Trial lawyer in all of one case that's not even finished properly.
Apollo Justice: 6/10.  Apollo doesn't have the savviness of Phoenix for piecing together theories of crime, but he's a hard worker who, thanks to his ability, knows where to press a witness in open testimony, so he's good at half the job and adequate at the other.
Athena Cykes: 3/10.  Has moments, but largely needs a lot more seasoning.  I'm still in awe that she was given so much latitude with Widget, even in PW logic.

Winston Payne: 3/10.  He hardly ever does much beyond present the police's theory of the crime.  Bare minimum guy, bare minimum.
Miles Edgeworth: 8/10.  Pulls some fast ones on the legal system in the trilogy, but otherwise immensely competent.  Has a knack for logicing out alternate theories of crimes before the defense can, and knowing where the holes are.
Manfred von Karma: 5/10.  Terrifying definitely, and clearly quite competent without flagrantly breaking the law.  But also flagrantly breaks the law and almost certainly got some convictions that were not deserved.  Although we only know of this happening willfully once, which limits the damage; not his fault if he's better at punching down defenses than they are at validating evidence.
Franziska von Karma: 4/10.  utterly unprofessional and fairly sloppy, but fairly good at making the defense work at least.
Godot: 2/10.  It's like he's not even a trained prosecutor or something.
Klavier Gavin: 7/10.  Little prone to doing the defense's work for them, but always stays competent in his role while he's at it at least.
Gaspen Payne: 2/10.  A less ethical Winston.
Simon Blackquill: 8/10.  "Try that again with some actual effort and evidence" is practically his catchphrase.  Reacts quickly to defense theories, and is quite savvy to when his own evidence is weak and he needs better evidence.  Unlike Klavier, when he's pretty sure the defense is on the right track, he basically sets up evidence for it to be shot down, forming more accurate theories as they go.  He's basically the first time in the series we see how a PW trial is actually supposed to be conducted far as I can tell.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 07, 2014, 07:38:10 AM »
Unlike Elf, I'm not sure where he gets the competence vibe from.

It's obvious we rate by different criteria (which is cool) but sure I can still respond to this.

(Spoilers for the whole series, duh.)

Franziska competence is made pretty apparent I felt? Franziska thoroughly destroys Phoenix in the early parts of 2-2, more decisively than any other prosuector ever does save Manfred. The photographic proof of Maya channelling stands out as particularly resourceful, but aside from that she just has the case set up incredibly well, to the point where she wins and the only reason the trial continues is because she herself asks for it to be drawn out to watch Phoenix suffer more! Now, I can see penalising her for this certainly (I assume it was what you were referring to about her immaturity coming back to haunt her); it would be much more prudent of her to just take her damn win, especially against the man who was good enough to defeat her previously undefeated brother (2 or 3 times depending on canon) and father. But for me the fact that she reaches this point is pretty impressive.

We only ever see Franziska actively prosecute one other case (3-5 doesn't really count), and I'd rate her 2-3 performance as competent, though unspecial. She doesn't really do anything to bungle this case and has her witnesses lined up well, and even takes advantage of Moe's annoying nature to get the judge to shorten the cross-examination. Unlike some other instances where the prosecutor says "HEY LET'S DO A HIGHER PENALTY JUST BECAUSE", this one actually feels justified in plot so I do give it some credit.

AAI's arguably not relevant to her rating but I just replayed it so I'll weigh in anyway. I think you're just misremembering here, honestly! She appears in three cases, and only in one (case 2) does she accuse anyone (Rhoda). There's an awful lot of evidence against Rhoda at this point, so it's hard to see why you'd fault her here, and since Edgeworth himself is not convinced of her innocence at this point, the reason certainly can't be sibling rivalry.

Franziska has three other instances in the game where she makes arguments. They are:
=She demands that Edgeworth prove his innocence in case 2. This is obviously a test to make sure he is able to clear himself of suspicion; if you actually think she believed Edgeworth was the killer then I don't know what to say.
-Her analaysis of the deaths of Rell and Faraday in case 4. She doesn't accuse anyone, merely tries to claim they murdered each other (as the scene was set up to look like). This isn't her best showing logic-wise but she's also thirteen.
-Finally, in case 5, her sole "cross-examination" consists of explaining her movements when she is falsely (in both senses of the word!) accused by Lang.

Speaking of which, I think you may be conflating Franziska with Lang here somehow? He's the one who makes several false accusations on very flimsy grounds, accusing Mike Meekins, Luaren Paups, and Larry Butz, all without much evidence (okay, until Lauren "confesses" at least). It's to the point where he goes on and makes a fourth accusation with paltry evidence (Franziska) I didn't even stop to think that this one might be fake because it was such a pattern by this point (despite him only being in two cases!).

Maybe.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 08, 2014, 06:08:29 AM »
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete (haven't completed yet, so this may not be truly accurate):
Hiro: 7/10--Yeah, it's Hiro.  I haven't gotten to the endgame spike, but as-is, the damage/speed combo is still solid enough to put him on the frontlines.
Gwyn: 4/10--While he was a Warm Body, he was also your healer for the first real dungeon of the game.  Can't fault that too much.  Having the only debuffs in the game feels like a bit of a downer, but so it goes.
Lucia: 10/10...for the very short segment where she's fully powered and can take on most things in short order.  3/10 in actuality, since you have a few issues.  Always acting last being one of them, and depending on the AI to pick spells being another.  Were she controllable, she might be worth another point or two, pending.
Ronfar: 6/10-- Healer.  He can contribute fire magic damage early on as well thanks to Anger Dice, but that...eh.  It gives him something other than basic attacks to use during randoms, at least.
Jean: 7/10-- Holy shit that speed.  With it, she gets damage not dissimilar from Hiro, and almost always goes first.  Having status options with early AoE doesn't hurt either, and fast status on yellow or green means at least a solid try for disabling a group.
Lemina: 5/10-- She can hit elements well enough, and synergizes nicely with crests for extra magic, but god damn that speed.  She does get a whole 1/10 for the field dispel making certain bosses actually beatable (hi, Blue Fiend)
Leo: Temp/10--I know he joins later, but my current ranking puts him as a temp.  Also as a slower Hiro that can take hits better and use (expensive) AoE.  Not the best trade, I feel?
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 09, 2014, 12:21:37 AM »
Hiro: 8/10
Gwyn: DNR
Lucia: 3/10
Ronfar: 4.5/10
Jean: 7/10
Lemina: 3/10
Leo: 5/10

Ace Attorney Series:
Phoenix Wright: 8/10
Mia Fey: DNR
Apollo Justice: 5/10
Athena Cykes: 6/10. Dismantles the 5-3 villain better than Apollo really does to anyone in any of his cases! She also contributes in some ways more than Apollo to the solving of 5-2.

Winston Payne: 3/10
Miles Edgeworth: 8/10
Manfred von Karma: 8/10
Franziska von Karma: 7/10
Godot: 1/10
Klavier Gavin: 6/10
Gaspen Payne: 3/10
Simon Blackquill: 7/10
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: February 14, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »
Hiro: 8/10.  Solid Main Character all around, etc.
Gwyn: 4/10.  Warm Body healer.  Not good, but could be worse for a temp.
Lucia: 3/10.  Low damage, unreliable healing, can't be controlled, slow...the only reason she gets this high is because she's a 5th PC that would otherwise be an empty slot, and she's better than that.
Ronfar: 7/10.  Healers in Lunar games are exceedingly vital, so yeah.
Jean: 6/10.  Iffy status whore in first half, fast and primary damage dealer for most of the 2nd half...yeah, this works.
Lemina: 4/10.  She's not awful, but not really good either before Catastrophe which is final dungeon only.
Leo: 6/10.  He's rather solid but lack of availability means I can only give him so high.

Ace Attorney Series:
Phoenix Wright: 8/10.  I don't hold AA5 too much against him since he just got back into the job, and thus is probably a bit rusty.  That said, we see that by AA3, he's pretty much unstoppable, though he does need assistance here and there.
Mia Fey: DNR.  yeah, what we see of her is not a good indicator of how good she is as an Attorney, so she gets a pass.
Apollo Justice: 5/10.  Seemed kind of generic honestly.
Athena Cykes: 6/10.  Considering she's got very little experience, she did pretty darn well for herself in her first case and unlike most, she was up against an actual prosecutor.

Winston Payne: 3/10.  He sucks, there's a reason Rookies beat him regularly (or amnesiacs...)
Miles Edgeworth: 8/10.  He's basically Phoenix's equal yet opposite.  He's especially strong in 2-4 where his goal of "Truth" stands out because the guilty verdict is legit, and shows that Edgeworth when he's honest is actually way scarier than when he's forcing the verdict.
Manfred von Karma: 9.5/10.  See Elfboy really, though, based on what the game implies, Manfred DID get one penalty, and there was clearly a flaw in his style in that it falls apart if something unexpected happens.  Still, the chances of that happening are extremely low.
Franziska von Karma: 7/10.  Watching 2-2 again, she really does have Phoenix on the ropes and in 3-5, she literally learned the entire case on a plane ride to the courtroom and still managed to hold her own.  She's definitely competent
Godot: 3.5/10.  More competent than Payne because he can at least get under people's skins, but that's really all he has going for him.  Honestly, Fran being used in 3-5 to face Edgeworth felt absolutely necessary, because Edgeworth would have exposed Godot for the fraud he is and completely wrecked him; Fran at least managed to reciprocate a lot of Edgeworth's attacks.
Klavier Gavin: Abstain.  Haven't played AJ, so haven't seen him in action.
Gaspen Payne: 3/10.  Equal to his brother, the hairstyle is irrelevant here.
Simon Blackquill: 7/10.  For someone who comes off as evil as he is, he is surprisingly honest and effective at his job.  He lacks Fran's forcefulness of getting you in the corner, but is better at holding off until the very so I say it checks out.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 16, 2014, 03:04:45 AM »
And thus, with a beck and call and...ok, I'll stop before I get out of hand and you guys throw the nearest large heavy object at me...

Lunar Eternal Blue Complete:
   Average   Std. Dev.
Hiro:   7.5   0.55
Gwyn:   4.2   1.76
Lucia:   2.83   0.41
Ronfar:   5.92   0.8
Jean:   6.83   0.41
Lemina:   4   0.89
Leo:   5.4   2.26

Full Cast Standard Deviation: 1.66

Best Rating of this Session: Hiro w/ 7.50
Worst Rating of this Session: Lucia w/ 2.83

BONUS ROUND: RATE THAT LAWYER!

Ace Attorney Series:
   Average   Std. Dev.
Phoenix Wright:   8   0
Mia Fey:   N/A   N/A
Apollo Justice:   5.6   0.89
Athena Cykes:   4.6   1.52

Winston Payne:   3   0
Miles Edgeworth:   8.2   0.45
Manfred von Karma:   8.5   2.12
Franziska von Karma:   5.9   2.3
Godot:   2.2   0.84
Klavier Gavin:   5.88   2.77
Gaspen Payne:   2.8   0.45
Simon Blackquill:   7.4   0.55

The next game I have decided to do is retro...then go more retro in another bonus round!

"But Meeple! That Bonus Round game came out after the mainline game by about a year!"  to which I say shut up, and argument invalid because Turnips.

Final Fantasy 1:
Fighter-O:
Thief-O:
Blackbelt-O:
Red Mage-O:
White Mage-O:
Black Mage-O:

Warrior-A:
Thief-A:
Monk-A:
Red Mage-A:
White Mage-A:
Black Mage-A:

BONUS ROUND: RATE THAT PLATFORMING CHARACTER!!!!

Super Mario Bros 2:
Mario:
Luigi:
Toad:
Peach:

A few things to note:
First off, yes, I know her name is Toadstool in SMB2, but she's been Peach for long enough, and frankly, it just looks better in terms of name distinguishing that her name is Peach her when Toad is right above it.  This is no different than me calling the character Deis in BoF1/2!

More importantly, FF1, like FF4, has a bit of a vote split scenario.  While there are differences between the NES and Origins version, I feel the differences are kind of marginal, while that is clearly not the case in the GBA and PSP versions.  As a result, I am lumping the former two together, and the latter two together (GBA and PSP I believe are identical for these purposes even.)  I know there are technically other versions like the mobile versions but don't think anyone has actually played those <_<

As a result, the "O" refers to "Origins" and "Original" which is why I used that, so only rate those ones based on the NES and Origins version.  The "A" refers to "Advance", which is the GBA and PSP versions.

ALSO:
Do not rate O based on Easy Mode.  It's called Easy Mode for a reason; this is based on Normal mode only for Origins.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 16, 2014, 05:04:20 AM »
"But Meeple! That Bonus Round game came out after the mainline game by about a year!"

Not in North America, it didn't!

Fighter-O: 9/10. Fighter is kind of dumb. Ridiculous HP, ridiculous defence much of the time, great elemental defence too... i.e. he's the king tank and you need this in FF1. Oh and he's great at damage too. No real weaknesses beyond that if you have 3-4 of them they start kinda suffering for equipment, but the fact that this is even a serious consideration (which it certainly isn't for any other class!) says much.
Thief-O: 1.5/10. I'll give him above a 1 because Haste is a good spell and he does pick it up, along with better equipment/damage than Red Wizard, late in the game. Basically, Ninja is okay and saves this class. Thief is awful, 0/10 material. Fighter with way worse everything, or spellless Red Mage with worse everything except HP, take your pick. Either way it's gross.
Blackbelt-O: 4/10. Has the best damage (well, sometimes fighter has more), but kinda fragile and nothing but damage, and the damage isn't always that great (in particular it nosedives against high def).
Red Mage-O: 7.5/10. Has a bit of everything. Second to third best durability, okay damage, a bit of everything skillset-wise... in particular you want someone with Exit and Life and Haste and hey RM gets all three.
White Mage-O: 5/10. Red Mage who trades away offence (except against undead) and Haste for having Life before promotion, and a few other niche spells like the L7 healing charges. It's a losing trade, certainly, but not a terrible one.
Black Mage-O: 4/10. The extra spell charges over RM definitely do matter, as an extra shot or two of the highest black spell at any point from level 3 onwards really matters (they lay waste to randoms, and Flare is great against lategame bosses for the 1-2 shots you have). However, lower durability, lower spammable damage, and lack of white magic all mean he's clearly a worse choice.

BONUS ROUND: RATE THAT PLATFORMING CHARACTER!!!!

Super Mario Bros 2:
Mario: 5.5/10. I kinda like Mario, he can make 4-panel vertical jumps and is speedy if I'm actually interested in that.
Luigi: 5.5/10. I go back and forth on whether I prefer Mario or Luigi. Mario's the all-rounder, Luigi has the amazing vertical jumping (and pretty great horizontal) but controls terribly.
Toad: 2/10. I don't have much good to say about Toad. Mario who can't jump worth shit. I can't think of many places I'd value his even greater digging/carrying speed than Mario's, not enough to make up for how much trouble he just has platforming.
Peach: 8/10. Well she has stat weaknesses (can't make 4-panel vertical jumps, slow at grabbing things) but goodness hover is so broken. Luigi's long jumping for skipping some parts of levels, but the control is amazing instead of awful. Makes a mockery of several bosses where she can just hover above their projectiles, too.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:29:19 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 16, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »
Super Mario Bros 2:
Mario: He is good at everything though never the best at anything, 6/10 works
Luigi: Jumps are cool, the controls are not.  5/10
Toad: lol.  2/10
Peach: hover lolz at the game, who cares if everything else is a pile of meh.  8/10