Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129230 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #1000 on: February 16, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »
Final Fantasy 1:
Fighter-O: 9.5/10
Thief-O: 2/10
Blackbelt-O: 3/10
Red Mage-O: 8/10
White Mage-O: 6/10
Black Mage-O: 5/10

Warrior-A: 9/10
Thief-A: 4/10
Monk-A: 4/10
Red Mage-A: 4/10
White Mage-A: 6/10
Black Mage-A: 6/10

A little hazier on DoS, so I might be wrong.

BONUS ROUND: RATE THAT PLATFORMING CHARACTER!!!!

Super Mario Bros 2:
Mario: 5/10
Luigi: 6.5/10
Toad: 2/10
Peach 8.5/10
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1001 on: February 16, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
Final Fantasy 1:
Fighter-O: 9/10 - Ridic, obsoleting everyone.
Thief-O: 2/10 - Sure, Haste hype.
Blackbelt-O: 3.5/10 - Cheaper than another Fighter means he has theoretical use, but I'd sooner use another Fighter.
Red Mage-O: 7.5/10 - Really the only other class you'd need besides 3 Fighters to just rape the game.
White Mage-O: 5.5/10 - Useable!
Black Mage-O: 4.5/10 - Useable, but not as good as WHM or RDM

Warrior-A: 8.5/10 - Still really good!!!!~
Thief-A: 4/10 - Oh hai can I play with you guyz now?
Monk-A: 3.5/10 - I haven't really changed, and may need to be bumped down since cheaper isn't really an issue?
Red Mage-A: 5/10 - Magic works now, so not specializing kinda sucks, still usable!
White Mage-A: 6/10 - Not a Fighter is your only real problem, otherwise you are a serviceable healbot
Black Mage-A: 6/10 - Someone's gotta be doing your crowd control, and RDM is slackin'.

Super Mario Bros 2:
Mario: 5/10
Luigi: 6/10
Toad: 2/10
Peach: 8/10

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: February 16, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
Final Fantasy 1:
Fighter-O: 9/10.  The problem with "tank" characters in your average turn-based RPG is that there's often no way to draw enemy attacks to them, or if there is it costs a turn, which makes characters like XS1 Ziggy or SMRPG Bowser less inspiring than they could be.  FF1 has the magical "first slot eats 50% of attacks" feature, so having a supreme tank there is incredibly useful!  And having TWO tanks in slots 1 & 2 mean that 75% of all enemy attacks are smashing a Fighter! They don't actually need decent spammable offense, but oh by the way they have that too, so sign me up.
Thief-O: 2/10 When I played the game as a kid, I thought that Thief had a % chance of running buff.  Alas that this isn't actually true.
Blackbelt-O: 5/10.  XP grind rather than gold grind dependent, bleh.
Red Mage-O: 7/10 - See Elf, a little bit of everything, and respectable durability / physicals when conserving spell charges.
White Mage-O: 6/10.  See Elf.
Black Mage-O: 4/10 - They crush bosses but don't have enough spell charges to really carry any weight vs. randoms.

Super Mario Bros 2:
Mario: 4/10.  Fastest, but don't really care, no clock.
Luigi: 8/10.  Jump-premacy.  Yeah the control is weird but I got around that by always picking Luigi and getting used to it, and once you know it, there are actually advantages to Luigi's spaziness.
Toad: 2/10.  Having to kneel for super-jumps way more often?  Pass.
Peach: 7/10.  Hover is broken, yes, especially in World 4 (the icy levels).  That pickup speed is insanely slow but whatever.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 16, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »

Final Fantasy 1:
Fighter-O: 10/10. Uber broken in just about every way that matters. The pack catches up to them a little lategame, but the hardest part of FF1 is early.
Thief-O: 0/10. The other end. I disagree with Elfboy here. Haste is nice in theory, but two better classes have it and thief actively hurts your party for the most difficult sections of the game.
Blackbelt-O: 1/10. They're cheap, which is nice. Mostly they have eh offense against things that matter. I would respect them more as boss slayers if temper wasn't glitched in the NES version.
Red Mage-O: 8.5/10. They have a pretty large advantage in defense in the parts of the game that matter. They are fine post classchange as well, they can coast on the fourth best physical late (Still solid!) and haste. They get a ton of ultility spells as well.
White Mage-O: 4/10. Total dead weight outside of two parts: Chaos and the Ice Cave/Volcano, where you really want Life. That said, those two niches are freaking awesome to have, so.
Black Mage-O: 4/10. Durability of paper. One advantage they do have is the extra charges early, which are a godsend against Wizards.

FF1 PSX, since this changes things slightly.  Don't bother scoring this Meeple.

Fighter-PSX: 9.5/10. Other classes catch up to them. They are still savagely broken, but not 'use at least two' broken.
Thief-PSX- 0/10. Still activerly hurts the party.
Blackbelt-PSX- 2/10. Temper and Saber are fixed, which means they are quite good at smashing bosses. Too bad the other issues (Bad against high def, can't really take hits) still apply.
Red Mage PSX- 9/10. Unglitched Temper. It's that freaking good. Still awesome when it matters.
White Mage PSX- 4/10. Basically the same as NES, except they can revive in battle now. The offense is such shit.
Black Mage PSX- 5/10. Temper.

Dawn of Souls: Ignoring DoS bonus caves, those are their own thing.

Fighter: 7/10. MDef is a problem now, but still has those awesome equips. Physical's also been eclipsed to an extent.
Thief: 4/10. Been gimmicked up to be okay. Still an inferior fighter/Monk.
Monk:  7/10. Offense has been vastly improved.  higher levels benefit them the most by a mile.
Red Mage: 3.5/10. Their attack magic's been savagely nerfed and thiefs/monks crush them for physicals now. Sad.
White Mage: 4/10. Eh. Ethers mean they can heal forever but that's it.
Black Mage: 7/10. OHKOs almost every random in the game once you hit Elfland. Durability of paper but who cares, higher level curve in DoS means they can take more hits.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:22:45 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 16, 2014, 08:28:29 PM »
Fighter-O: 9.5/10.  Fighter is the best class in the game by far, the only reason Fighter is not a 10 is because there isn't enough high-end equipment in the game to properly gear out more than two of them, pretty much.  Gamebest ST offense (which is what ultimately matters in FF1), gamebest defense, their only real weakness (being expensive to equip) vanishes halfway through the game.
Thief-O: 0.5/10.  He gets the half point because of Ninja, which is a strictly worse Knight that can cast Haste.  But only half a point, because for the entire pre-promotion game he is only marginally better than an empty slot.
Black Belt-O: 5/10.  Black Belt only eclipses Fighter in damage at much higher levels than you actually need to finish the game, and I don't particularly care that he does gamebest offense when overleveled.  Then his defense is shitty too.  Meh.  -2 points on NES due to nonfunctional Temper.
Red Mage: 8/10.  Hits almost as hard as Fighter for the majority of the game, has serviceable defense and can use almost all of the magic that actually matters.  Falls off some lategame, but still good for randoms.
White Mage: 7.5/10.  Pretty awful at offense until you get Thor Hammer, at which point they itemcast it forever.  Anyone else can do this, but anyone else would rather be doing something else, and thor hammer itemcast isn't awful.  Defensively awful most of the game but they sit in the back so eh.  Their biggest values are pre-promotion LIFE and, if playing the NES version, bugged HEL2 (thus on Origins specifically I'd be fine with dropping them half a point), and of course CUR4 for the lategame bosses.
Black Mage: 3/10.  Game-worst survivability, doesn't use offensive magic better than Red Mage until the very endgame, and NUKE isn't even very good anyway (don't get enough charges of it at reasonable levels to care).  In the original game there is no reason to ever use one over Red Mage.

(For what it's worth, my favorite party in the original version is Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage/White Mage.)

Warrior-A: 9.5/10.  Has not gotten any worse at all.
Thief-A: 7/10.  Yeah, I'm willing to go this high for DoS Thief.  For one, DoS gave thief 4 hit% per level compared to the original game's 2, so for much of the early game (up to about Lich or so) he either matches or even slightly outperforms the Warrior offensively.  Warrior's weapon options pull ahead definitively after Lich, though, then Ninja rams into the Hit% cap, Excalibur appears, and anyway Knight is unquestionably better at lategame.  Still, Ninja can throw Temper and Haste around, and makes a good Masamune user (especially if you're low enough level that the Knight hasn't hit capped? haha) so I can only rate it so low.
Monk-A: 5/10.  Not bad but easily the worst of the physical-oriented PCs.  Hasn't appreciably changed much from the original game, including the dependence on being overleveled.
Red Mage-A: 7.5/10.  Still hits almost as hard as Fighter for the majority of the game, has serviceable defense and can use almost all of the magic that actually matters, while falling off some lategame.  He loses the half point largely because the falloff is a little bigger and he actually casts notably worse than the other mages now due to Intelligence doing something. 
White Mage-A: 7.5/10.  Still pretty awful at offense until you get the hammer, whatever it's called now, at which point they itemcast it forever.  Pre-promotion Life is still good, and Healaga is a crazy good spell now that INT affects it (in particular, Healaga is the spell that makes lowish level runs not rage-worthy).  You can certainly go without them, but having one makes the game pretty much a cakewalk as opposed to just moderately easy.
Black Mage-A: 6/10.  Still game-worst survivability, but now uses offensive magic notably better than Red Mage and Flare no longer sucks.  Better than Red Mage lategame, but Red Mage's physical prowess leaves him ahead of Black for a very large chunk of the game still IMO.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: February 16, 2014, 08:47:20 PM »
Final Fantasy 1:
Fighter-O: 9/10 - Fighter is a textbook 9.
Thief-O: 2/10 - Herp derp FF1 thief.
Blackbelt-O: 5/10 - Honestly, I feel BB is generally underrated in FF1, but that being said it still only gets a 5. BB just does what it does REALLY well.
Red Mage-O: 6/10 - Definitely second best char in the game, so many options and access to most of the stuff you want. Two Reds is a better choice then Black/White, though I'd prolly call Red/White a better choice still.
White Mage-O: 6/10 - Gate overvalues healing, this is nothing new
Black Mage-O: 4/10 - Runs out of juice too fast for my tastes.

Warrior-A: 8/10 - Fighter's lead narrows a bit in DoS, imo.
Thief-A: 3/10 - Thief is no longer complete shit. Still not worth spending a party slot on.
Monk-A: 5/10 - Feels largely unchanged.
Red Mage-A: 3/10. Falls off sharply compared to the other two, especially now that MP healing is a thing that exists.
White Mage-A: 6/10. Feels largely unchanged, just can do it's job more often.
Black Mage-A: 7/10. Now can actually do it's damn job. And does it very well.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: February 19, 2014, 03:23:03 AM »
Lowered BB's score in the NES and PSX version. Holy hell are they useless.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: February 28, 2014, 02:05:22 AM »
Final Fantasy 1:
Fighter-O: 9.5/10.  The only thing holding them back from a 10/10 is the rare high defense enemy early game, and lack of revival for cheap deaths like Sorcerers, making you want at least one Red Mage or White Mage in your team.
Thief-O: 2/10.  Hey guys, he can cast Fast with good defense and attack in the second half of the game!  Pity Red Mage can do pretty much everything he can do, with the only downside being worse defenses, whcih frankly, MT damage, Healing, and not sucking in the first half more than make up for.
Blackbelt-O: 3/10.  They can hit really hard on low defense, but they suck early game due to unreliable weapons, and high defense reams them at all points.
Red Mage-O: 8/10.  Hard to think of a moment where they aren't effective.  Honestly, in most games, Red Mage would probably be 6/10 Material, but considering the competition, their use is heightened significantly.
White Mage-O: 6/10.  Early life and more uses of it are good, Harm is nice for clearing out Undead cheaply, not much beyond that; like Red Mage, it'd probably be 2 points lower in most other games, but this is FF1.
Black Mage-O: 3/10.  Red Mage is better than it in just about everyway, but I can at least respect earlier access to some higher level spells (and more shots of them) that nab it some use here and there...but that's really not enough.

Warrior-A: 8/10.  I don't think Warrior changed at all from previous versions, it's more that the other jobs got notably better.
Thief-A: 5/10.  His offense actually beats Warrior at many points, especially if you do the extra dungeons where-in it covers the early weapon woes, and No-Early Mithril Sword means his offense isn't notably lagging thanks to weapons either.  As a Ninja, his defense is only marginally below Knight's, and he's an extra Haste and Temper user.  Honestly, I think people are underselling his worth here, as they are in fact effective.
Monk-A: 7/10.  Best ST damage in the game by a long shot, but one trick pony does hold him back a bit.
Red Mage-A: 3/10.  OUCH.   Way less offense than Black Mage, it's almost not worth using offensive magic on him, and his durability and rate of spell aquisition is way worse than White Mage.  The Jack of All Trades thing really doesn't pay off here, and worse, the Mithril Sword is much later meaning his physicals aren't even that special.
White Mage-A: 6/10.  Effective healer with a lot of useful support spells, and Holy is even good for MT damage that can be used constantly thanks to Ethers.  Item casts work during that small stretch where they exist but you don't know Holy yet.
Black Mage-A: 5/10.  Temper and Haste are really damned good, and he's the best user of them.  MT damage is appreciably the best of any character for pretty much the entire game, and due to the MP system, he can legitimately spam magic.  Still has durability woes granted, which hold him back a bit.

Super Mario Bros 2:
Mario: 7/10.  Nice and easy to use.
Luigi: 6/10.  His lack of friction I find more of a hindrance than his length of jump.
Toad: 3/10. HE RUNS FAST! ...I got nothing...
Peach: 9/10.  Uh, yeah, those lack of stats are kind of hard to care about when Floating is easily the best gimmick of any character by far.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1008 on: February 28, 2014, 02:39:40 AM »
Final Fantasy 1:
Warrior-A: 8/10.
Thief-A: 2/10
Monk-A: 2/10
Red Mage-A: 3/10
White Mage-A: 7/10
Black Mage-A: 5/10
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 02, 2014, 04:11:18 AM »
This Post brought to you by Twitch Plays Pokemon! ...well, no, not really, but I like to pretend that is the case!

Average   STDEVA
Fighter-O   9.31   0.37
Thief-O   1.5   0.8
Blackbelt-O   3.69   1.39
Red Mage-O   7.56   0.78
White Mage-O   5.75   1
Black Mage-O   3.94   0.68

Warrior-A   8.29   0.81
Thief-A   4.14   1.57
Monk-A   4.79   1.82
Red Mage-A   4.14   1.65
White Mage-A   6.07   1.1
Black Mage-A   6   0.82

Standard Deviation Original   2.84
Standard Deviation Advanced   1.58
Standard Deviation Full   2.2

BONUS ROUND!!
Super Mario Bros. 2:
   Average   STDEVA
Mario   5.58   0.8
Luigi   6.17   1.03
Toad   2.17   0.41
Peach   8.08   0.66

Standard Deviation: 2.46

Not bothering with game best, and game worst because THEY'RE LISTED ABOVE IN ITALLICS AND BOLDING AND ARGH WHY AM I OVERREACTING!?!?

...so yeah, about that twitch plays pokemon thing?  I feel there is no better appropriate time to start this than now!

Pokemon Generation 2 Normal Types:
Pidgeot:
Raticate:
Fearow:
Clefable:
Wigglytuff:
Persian:
Farfetch'd:
Dodrio:
Lickitung:
Kangaskahn:
Tauros:
Ditto:
Snorlax:

Furret:
Noctowl:
Togetic:
Aipom:
Girafarig:
Dunsparce:
Granbull:
Ursaring:
Porygon2:
Stantler:
Smeargle:
Blissey:

NOTE: The above is to be rated based on Gold/Silver/Crystal.  If this turns out to not work, I will...uhh...figure something out! 

NOTE 2: Order is based off Pokemon National Dex Numbering because that's how Serebii has them listed (also easier to keep track of)

NOTE 3: I'm aware some of these things don't exist in the maingame but I can't be be bothered to crosscheck everything, so screw it, do whatever you want here, just "Gotta be Gen 2 standards" is the one stipulation.  If you think something doesn't exist and not fair to rate it, simply DNR it!

NOTE 4: TOP PERCENTILE RATINGS ARE BANNED!!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:16:39 AM by Meeplelard »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1010 on: March 02, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »
Pidgeot: 8.5/10 - Early to get, evolves quickly, has 3 evolutions, 2 STAB typings, and 2 immunities. It's a pretty solid Jeigan and can last the whole game (as TPP proved in RBY).
Raticate: 6/10 - Earlygame, evolves quickly, not nearly as good as Pidgey, but has a few decent moves.
Fearow: 8 - Also fairly early but only 2 evolution stages, honestly not much worse than Pidgeot from what I remember.
Clefable: 4 - Not as early, kinda junky. Stone evolutions can be useful as Jeigans really early on but then you are screwing yourself out of a well-trained monster later. Need one to get all the BABIES~
Wigglytuff: 4.5 - Same as Clefable from what I can tell, but I like abusing Sing earlygame.
Persian: 3.5 - Solid enough, but late
Farfetch'd: 3 - Rare, late, doesn't evolve! Three for Stick hype and HM Slave usefulness?
Dodrio: 2 - Later still, and not that good. Tri-Attack and Fly are something?
Lickitung: Lick~/10 - (3.5/10) - Late and doesn't evolve.
Kangaskahn: 4/10 - Later and doesn't evolve but has better stats?
Tauros: 4/10
Ditto: 9/10 - Terrible in battle, but if characters like Shir get points for things like giving you the Save feature, Ditto deserves credit for making the Breeding function of the game usable.
Snorlax: 5/10 - Bulk has its uses!

Furret: 6.5 - Earlygame and fast. Probably the best HM Slave available?
Noctowl: 8 - Earlygame, flies, decent type coverage. From Normals, your best bet is usually to get them early and use them as Jeigans and hope to power through the later parts with them. Noctowl does this well.
Togetic: 4 - Ugh, unlike Togecrap. It's lucky it got a new evolution later.
Aipom: 3 - As is this guy.
Girafarig: 6 - Hey, it's a dual-type! That's something!
Dunsparce: 1/10 - lol I love you, Dunsparce, keep on keepin on.
Granbull: 3 - I hate this thing, it's lucky it's been retyped Fairy. Worst dog 'mon.
Ursaring: 6.5 - Hey, you're quite usable!
Porygon2: 2 - And you've got some neat tricks! EDIT: Changed score, forgot it was Kanto-only.
Stantler: 5 - What is this, being useful?
Smeargle: 7 - Gimmick/10 but an interesting gimmick.
Blissey: 7/10 - The only normal you should really be using. Minus points for being Kanto-only, but it is damn good.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:47:37 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 03, 2014, 02:38:16 AM »
Trying not to be a mega dick, but you think breeding is an in game use worthy of a 9?  How much do you actually breed in game Djinn?

In game.

IN.  GAME.

Edit - I do think the only points Ditto should get are for it, I just wonder if you approach the game differently than I do.

Edit 2 -   Aaaahhhhhhhhh fuck.  I realize I fucked up delivery there :(.  That was supposed to be emphatically specifying in game breeding not in game use.  Sorry Djinn.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:46:39 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 03, 2014, 03:22:58 AM »
Pidgeot: 4 -Passable, but it's outclassed by just about anything that can learn normal moves.  Its flying movepool is somewhat limited. Final evolution is too late at L36.
Raticate: 7 - Mostly used early on, but it can actually carry you most of the game.  Since GSC's levels curve lower, STAB Hyper Fang is pretty nasty for a long time.
Spearow: 6 - Decent Fly slave, and packs a bit more punch than Pidgey.  Drill Peck comes late but is nice when it does.
Clefairy: 2 - Waste of TMs/stones, but not completely horrible.
Wigglytuff: 2 - Effectively the same as Clefairy.  By the time you can get these guys good, you probably have other things that work better. 
Persian: 2 - Too late, too much competition.  Slash nerf hurts Persian horribly.
Farfetch'd: 3 - Good HM Slave overall
Dodrio: 2 - Would be the most useful of the Normal/Flyings by a considerable measure, but you get it in Kanto.
Lickitung: 1 - Lickiiii
Kangaskahn: 1 - ROCK TUNNEL
Tauros: 6/10 - It's serviceable, but not nearly as powerful as in RBY for a variety of reasons.  You get it before Olivine, so that's nice.
Ditto: 4/10 - All points are for breeding, which isn't always useful in-game but he's practically necessary for it if you want to do it.
Snorlax: 6/10 - You get him late, but he's unlikely to ever die and he hits decently hard

Furret: 5 - Nice HM slave, kind of loses to Rattata as an attacker.
Noctowl: 4 - It's Pidgey only weaker, but it can get more HMs.  Pick your poison.
Togetic: 1 - Completely worthless and sort of a project character.
Aipom: 1 - Can't evolve yet, so he's a total scrub.
Girafarig: 5 - Decent enough Physical and Special attacker.  Will probably be replaced by end-game.
Dunsparce: 1 - <3 Dunsparce.  if he weren't so rare maybe I'd bump him up, but there are just better choices.
Granbull: 3 - I dunno why you'd use it over Rattata but it's all right I suppose.
Ursaring: 7 - A little slow, but it's pretty practical considering how early you'll get it.  Good attack power.
Porygon2: 1 - Kanto, Game corner, required trade... yeah, not happening.  DNR practically.
Stantler: 5 - See Girafarig pretty much.
Smeargle: 1 - Way too much trouble to use in-game.  He's like Gau if Gau could at best do half the damage the rest of the team did.
Miltank: 7 - Bulky, faster than you'd think, and learns decent attacks.  Good choice really.
Blissey: 2 - Kanto and Rare.  Pretty good if you manage to snag one, but who would?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:26:27 PM by jsh357 »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 03, 2014, 09:21:22 AM »
needs more Miltank/10, will maybe unlazy and actually try to remember what half these things were even capable of doing sometime later

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 03, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »
So it's been awhile since I've played GSC, and my memory is shaky on when things show up. Going off gut for alot of stuff.

Pidgeot: 5/10 - Decidedly average, imo. Gets the job done, but isn't really inspiring at all.
Raticate: 5/10 - Earlygame heavy duty attacker, not bad. No real staying power for the lategame, though.
Fearow: 5/10 - Better moves then Pidgeot, but not as much staying power. Same score works I guess.
Clefable: 3/10 - It's got some chuft, which is pretty good. But that innate moveset is bad. Needs TMs to be decent, and pre gen 5, that is not a selling point.
Wigglytuff: 5/10. - Gets two points over Clefable for being even bulkier, and getting Body Slam and Double Edge, which can actually do some work.
Persian: 2/10 - Too little, too late.
Farfetch'd: 2/10 - Just plain too little.
Dodrio: 6/10 - Tri Attack, Drill Peck and better stats then the earlier birds. Would be higher, but iirc it's pretty late before you can get one?
Lickitung: 1/10 - Why do you exist.
Kangaskahn: 3/10 - Good 'mon, but way too late to care about.
Tauros: 6/10 - Heavy hitter, and you can get one earlier then you could in RBY.
Ditto: 1/10 - I never care about breeding until aftergame.
Snorlax: 7/10 - If you're using a normal type for slugging, this is your guy.

Furret: 4/10 - Raticate minus, really. Aside from being cuter~
Noctowl: 3/10 - Pidgeot minus.
Togetic: 1/10 - This line doesn't become worth it until gen 4.
Aipom: 1/10 - Why do you exist.
Girafarig: 6/10 - Can attack on both stats pretty well, and iirc gets some good STABs on normal and psychic. Not bad at all.
Dunsparce: 1/10 - WHY DO YOU EXIST
Granbull: 2/10 - Innate moveset is garbage, but better then the 1/10 crowd I suppose.
Ursaring: 6/10 - Would overtake Snorlax as the best slugging normal type if it got better moves before Thrash.
Porygon2: 2/10 - If you can get one, it's not bad. Big if, though.
Stantler: 5/10 - Solid enough to last awhile in game, sure.
Smeargle: 1/10 - In game use for Smeargle? Yeah, no.
Miltank: 6/10 - Pretty solid, actually. Same score as Tauros feels right?
Blissey: 4/10 - Really good if you can get one. Rarity hurts pretty bad, though.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 03, 2014, 07:30:38 PM »
Pidgeot: Honestly kind of middling.  Sure it can last the whole game but so can a lot of things. 4/10.
Raticate: Early STAB Hyper Fang is something, sure.  Falls off though.  5.5/10
Fearow: Better attacker than Pidgey, though worse defensively.  "Only two evo stages" isn't actually a mark against Fearow here since its stats are comparable to Pidgeot and it gets those at Lv20 instead of Lv36.  As is... sure, flying rat.  5.5/10
Clefable: Bad moveset and Kanto only, no.  2/10.
Wigglytuff: Well you can actually get a Jigglypuff before Kanto if you're playing Crystal, that's something at least.  4/10.
Persian: Not worth raising a Meowth for.  2/10.
Farfetch'd: It's Farfetch'd.  2/10
Dodrio: Good bird, but you have to wait until the E4 for one, which hurts a bit.  5/10
Lickitung: It's Lickitung.  1/10
Kangaskahn: Rare in and in the Rock Tunnel.  2/10.
Tauros: Solid attacker.  6/10.
Ditto: Yeah not really feeling like giving out any points for breeding.  0/10.
Snorlax: Good but can't get one until Kanto, which again hurts a bit.  5/10.

Furret: Serviceable HM slave and little else.  4/10.
Noctowl: Pidgey the nocturnal version. e: that apparently fails at having an attack stat.  3/10
Togetic: Yeah no.  1/10
Aipom: Come back when you get an evolution.  1/10.
Girafarig: Okay hybrid attacker.  5/10.
Dunsparce: rofl.  1/10.
Granbull: What a waste of an attack stat.  2/10.
Ursaring: Apparently you can grab a Teddiursa really early in Crystal so that's cool.  Not the best thing ever but it's workable.  6/10.
Porygon2: Game corner.  No.  1/10.
Stantler: Earlier Girafarig that honestly always stuck me as kind of worse, though not actively bad.  4/10.
Smeargle: Unlike this scrub, who is just awful.  0/10
Miltank: More defensive version of Tauros.  6/10
Blissey: Late and rare.  Good if you can get one I guess but that's a big if.  2/10.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:21:39 PM by Random Consonant »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 04, 2014, 04:37:12 AM »
General thoughts: Normal types have really favorable STAB options in GSC; Headbutt in Ilex Forest (+ more buyable in Goldenrod), Strength in Olivine, and one Return a week; earlygame joiners can reliably max out their happiness in time for the E4. Meanwhile a lot of the good TMs in from gen 1 (Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Rock Slide, Body Slam) are gone, Blizzard/Thunder/Fire Blast are crazy expensive, and Earthquake is near the end of Victory Road. Pretty much every type besides Normal and Water is dependent on their natural moves and maybe element punch compatability to get any sort of decent STAB, and a lot of them lose this lottery. This makes Normal types with mediocre stats better than mediocre-statted Pokemon of other types.

Every gym leader in Kanto is trash in GSC except Blue and he isn't really great, so really Kanto-only mons are only relevant for facing Red.

"Relies on TMs" is not a problem if you have element punch access and decent special: those are cheap, infinitely buyable, and have acceptable power. With Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Flamethrower not TMs at all in gen 2 those three + Surf are core in-game special TMs.

Pidgeot: 5/10. Early Sand Attack is its only real selling point compared to other birds, in a game where Mud Slap is the first gym TM. I guess Mud Slap doesn't work on fliers but how often is this going to matter before Lance (and 99% of people will either drop Pidgeot by then, or just OHKO his team with something like Alakazam or Suicune). Longterm its stats and movepool are clearly inferior to Fearow and Dodrio but still usable and early enough to except a maxed Return for lategame.

Raticate: 6.5/10. Normal is a really good offensive type for in-game with infinitely renewable Return TMs for lategame, while Hyper Fang is nuts when you first get it. Not much coverage though, especially with Dig nerfed.

Fearow: 6/10. Better stat build than Pidgeot, Drill Peck eventually is nice. Worse than Raticate since there's no Hyper Fang phase, though hitting weakness on some stuff is nice.

Clefable: 1.5/10. Only way to get one maingame is to soft reset for the Odd Egg... yeah no. A shame, it'd be really good otherwise.

Wigglytuff: 5/10. Element punches + Shadow Ball + Strength, that's pretty much the meaningful Johto TMs except Surf (and Earthquake for the last bit). Stats are horribly mediocre though.

Persian: 4/10. Route left of Ecruteak isn't so bad for availability, but with the Slash nerf there's not much going for it.

Farfetch'd: 3/10, I'm being nice to it for HM slaving.

Dodrio: 3/10. Nice stats, but only available at L30 right before Victory Road is not a winning formula.

Lickitung: 2/10. Strength + element punches is nice, but those stats are really not salvagable.

Kangaskhan: 1/10. Postgame only and underlevelled? Yeah right.

Tauros: 8/10. Reasonably early, great stats, can get Earthquake to demolish Normal resists lategame. Surf off 40 SpAtk is pretty garbage but can probably Ko a few underlevelled Gravellers since this is Johto.

Ditto: 0.5/10. I actually had to breed in Pokeniu to get a Sunflora with both Mega Drain and Razor Leaf for early/midgame. Realistically though, 99.99% of players are never going to breed in-game, and Ditto is worthless outside of breeding.

Furret: 6/10. Worse than Raticate but not by that much. Normally I'd mock Surf off 45 SpAtk, but with Johto's level curve you could probably 2HKO some underlevelled Gravellers.

Noctowl: 2.5/10. Guys, he has 50 base attack vs Pidgeot's 80. That's significantly worse, with only Hypnosis and special bulk to make up for this until Dream Eater at stupidly high levels. It has its uses when you are intentionally making a team of all garbage Pokemon *cough* so I can't score it too low, but it's still pretty bad.
EDIT: After checking some faqs, I just realized that Noctowl can learn Flash in gen 2 where it is 70 acc but not in gen 4 where it is 100 acc. GAAAAAAAAAMMEEEEEEFREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAK

Togeti: 1.5/10. I'll give it half a point for not being total bottom of the barrel in Pokeniu, and that's probably being generous.

Aipom: 2/10. As quite possibly the only person here to have ever used an Aipom in-game, I feel the need to comment here specifically. Aipom is surprisingly competent at sweeping randoms in this gen, both wild and trainer, because Normal is that good of an attack type for much of in-game. High speed and STAB strength right off the bat go farther than you might expect, unless you remember how sad the level curve is in GSC. Flipside, it's almost completely useless vs bosses and almost every other physical normal type outclasses it, usually by enormous margins, so the rating is still bad. I just can't quite bring myself to say 1/10 bad.

Girafarig: 6/10. Competent, but a bit too late for me to give it credit for full power Return.

Dunsparce: 3/10. Pretty average, except for that awful 1% encounter rate.

Granbull: 5.5/10. Apparantly its availability is actually decent in Crystal (30% rate on the route before Goldenrod in daytime). Speed kinda sucks, but otherwise respectable.

Ursaring: 7/10. Never actually used one before, but it's apparantly available really early in Crystal and its lategame performance is definately outstanding, with 130 attack, STAB Strength/Return, and enough special attack to make the element punches credible options. Speed is bad but 55 isn't completely unusable, at least.

More later, need to look up where some of this stuff is actually found in-game.

Porygon2: 1/10, yeah no to it.

Stantler: 6/10. Better stats than Furret but comes much later, not thinking too much on this.

Smeargle: 1/10. You can probably get Sleep Powder on it with fairly little effort, but that's about it.

Miltank: 7.5/10. Largely inferior stat spread to Tauros for in-game, but Milk Drink is nice.

Blissey: 1/10. Not only is it postgame only, not only is it really hard to catch, but it has NO OFFENSE WHATSOEVER before it evolves, thanks to 35 special attack and no Seismic Toss in GSC.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:02:35 PM by hinode »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 14, 2014, 08:55:53 PM »
Just a note:

This session will probably be extended a week, since this week has been hectic for me and this weekend is basically swamped, etc.  No, this won't be a common thing, but I feel it needs to be done now.  So expect an update on the 22nd.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 22, 2014, 02:08:01 PM »
Haven't done ratings myself yet...even with the extension...I am a bad person!  I will update tonight, don't worry.  Also, I forgot to put Miltank on my original list, so if you already rated and haven't done Miltank, you still have a chance.  If you do add Miltank, I request you simply post giving me an indicator that you did it so I know.

Pidgeot: 5/10.  Gets the job done as a "Fly Slave", but kind of unimpressive otherwise.
Raticate: 6/10.  Good early game thing, lasts mid-game, not much else.
Fearow: 7/10.  What Pidgeot wants to be.
Clefable: 2/10.  Lacks anything that made it worthwhile in Gen 1.
Wigglytuff: 5/10.  Less lacking in those things!
Persian: 3/10.  It's fast and...uhh...yeah, that's about it -_-
Farfetch'd: 3/10.  Cut + Fly Slave potential, that's about all the credit I can give it.
Dodrio: 3/10.  On Paper, should kick the crap out of Fearow, but availability murders it's rankings relative to other gens.
Lickitung: 1/10.  Sucks.
Kangaskahn: 2/10.  Availability concerns on top of being mediocre.
Tauros: 7/10.  Actually good!
Ditto: 1/10.  1 point for breeding, which is 1 point higher than what it gets in Gen 1!
Snorlax: 5/10.  Kanto only, so only so much credit.

Furret: 5/10.  At first I was going to give him an awful score because Ratatta is so much better than Sentret, but then realized it evolves at level 15 which makes him nowhere near as pathetic, and he can HM Slave.  STill worse than Raticate but at least not embarrassingly so like...
Noctowl: 3/10.  This guy compared to Pidgeot and Fearow.  It's damage is bad, getting low level Psychic moves is a laughable compensation, and Hypnosis does not make up for it's lack of everything else.  Worst Early Game Bird ever, yet, still somehow better than...
Togetic: 1/10.  THIS.  Togepi joins you at level 1 and is completely worthless in battle.  Ok, fine, I can live if it evolves into something cool, right? Right?  Except not; it's like if Magikarp evolved into a Seaking instead of Gyarados.
Aipom: 3/10.  I guess you can kind of get him early enough to do something?  Yeah I got nothing, usable but not good.
Girafarig: 5/10.  Actually not that bad; he's not great, but unique typing that he doesn't totally waste, and passable stats.
Dunsparce: 2/10.  1 point for being Jagen-like if you can nab him ASAP, but he's rare, and chances are you'd rather use that early game EXP for something you'll actually use.
Granbull: 4/10.  High attack, but only so much to use it with.
Ursaring: 6/10.  Ah, that's more like it!
Porygon2: 2/10.  Just about every issue I can think of, he has, except that it's decent on paper, but that's not enough.
Stantler: 2/10. No.
Smeargle: 1/10. NO.
Miltank: 5/10.  Actually not as bad as you'd think; tanky and fast.
Blissey: 2/10.  Availability kills it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:11:52 PM by Meeplelard »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 22, 2014, 06:38:37 PM »
I don't remember GSC very well. (Do another game, Meeple!) I'm too lazy to do all the research myself on availability of pokemon, TMs, etc., etc., to do this justice, so I'll just c/p hinode whose ratings sound reasonable to me.

General thoughts: Normal types have really favorable STAB options in GSC; Headbutt in Ilex Forest (+ more buyable in Goldenrod), Strength in Olivine, and one Return a week; earlygame joiners can reliably max out their happiness in time for the E4. Meanwhile a lot of the good TMs in from gen 1 (Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Rock Slide, Body Slam) are gone, Blizzard/Thunder/Fire Blast are crazy expensive, and Earthquake is near the end of Victory Road. Pretty much every type besides Normal and Water is dependent on their natural moves and maybe element punch compatability to get any sort of decent STAB, and a lot of them lose this lottery. This makes Normal types with mediocre stats better than mediocre-statted Pokemon of other types.

Every gym leader in Kanto is trash in GSC except Blue and he isn't really great, so really Kanto-only mons are only relevant for facing Red.

"Relies on TMs" is not a problem if you have element punch access and decent special: those are cheap, infinitely buyable, and have acceptable power. With Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Flamethrower not TMs at all in gen 2 those three + Surf are core in-game special TMs.

Pidgeot: 5/10. Early Sand Attack is its only real selling point compared to other birds, in a game where Mud Slap is the first gym TM. I guess Mud Slap doesn't work on fliers but how often is this going to matter before Lance (and 99% of people will either drop Pidgeot by then, or just OHKO his team with something like Alakazam or Suicune). Longterm its stats and movepool are clearly inferior to Fearow and Dodrio but still usable and early enough to except a maxed Return for lategame.

Raticate: 6.5/10. Normal is a really good offensive type for in-game with infinitely renewable Return TMs for lategame, while Hyper Fang is nuts when you first get it. Not much coverage though, especially with Dig nerfed.

Fearow: 6/10. Better stat build than Pidgeot, Drill Peck eventually is nice. Worse than Raticate since there's no Hyper Fang phase, though hitting weakness on some stuff is nice.

Clefable: 1.5/10. Only way to get one maingame is to soft reset for the Odd Egg... yeah no. A shame, it'd be really good otherwise.

Wigglytuff: 5/10. Element punches + Shadow Ball + Strength, that's pretty much the meaningful Johto TMs except Surf (and Earthquake for the last bit). Stats are horribly mediocre though.

Persian: 4/10. Route left of Ecruteak isn't so bad for availability, but with the Slash nerf there's not much going for it.

Farfetch'd: 3/10, I'm being nice to it for HM slaving.

Dodrio: 3/10. Nice stats, but only available at L30 right before Victory Road is not a winning formula.

Lickitung: 2/10. Strength + element punches is nice, but those stats are really not salvagable.

Kangaskhan: 1/10. Postgame only and underlevelled? Yeah right.

Tauros: 8/10. Reasonably early, great stats, can get Earthquake to demolish Normal resists lategame. Surf off 40 SpAtk is pretty garbage but can probably Ko a few underlevelled Gravellers since this is Johto.

Ditto: 0.5/10. I actually had to breed in Pokeniu to get a Sunflora with both Mega Drain and Razor Leaf for early/midgame. Realistically though, 99.99% of players are never going to breed in-game, and Ditto is worthless outside of breeding.

Furret: 6/10. Worse than Raticate but not by that much. Normally I'd mock Surf off 45 SpAtk, but with Johto's level curve you could probably 2HKO some underlevelled Gravellers.

Noctowl: 2.5/10. Guys, he has 50 base attack vs Pidgeot's 80. That's significantly worse, with only Hypnosis and special bulk to make up for this until Dream Eater at stupidly high levels. It has its uses when you are intentionally making a team of all garbage Pokemon *cough* so I can't score it too low, but it's still pretty bad.
EDIT: After checking some faqs, I just realized that Noctowl can learn Flash in gen 2 where it is 70 acc but not in gen 4 where it is 100 acc. GAAAAAAAAAMMEEEEEEFREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAK

Togeti: 1.5/10. I'll give it half a point for not being total bottom of the barrel in Pokeniu, and that's probably being generous.

Aipom: 2/10. As quite possibly the only person here to have ever used an Aipom in-game, I feel the need to comment here specifically. Aipom is surprisingly competent at sweeping randoms in this gen, both wild and trainer, because Normal is that good of an attack type for much of in-game. High speed and STAB strength right off the bat go farther than you might expect, unless you remember how sad the level curve is in GSC. Flipside, it's almost completely useless vs bosses and almost every other physical normal type outclasses it, usually by enormous margins, so the rating is still bad. I just can't quite bring myself to say 1/10 bad.

Girafarig: 6/10. Competent, but a bit too late for me to give it credit for full power Return.

Dunsparce: 3/10. Pretty average, except for that awful 1% encounter rate.

Granbull: 5.5/10. Apparantly its availability is actually decent in Crystal (30% rate on the route before Goldenrod in daytime). Speed kinda sucks, but otherwise respectable.

Ursaring: 7/10. Never actually used one before, but it's apparantly available really early in Crystal and its lategame performance is definately outstanding, with 130 attack, STAB Strength/Return, and enough special attack to make the element punches credible options. Speed is bad but 55 isn't completely unusable, at least.

More later, need to look up where some of this stuff is actually found in-game.

Porygon2: 1/10, yeah no to it.

Stantler: 6/10. Better stats than Furret but comes much later, not thinking too much on this.

Smeargle: 1/10. You can probably get Sleep Powder on it with fairly little effort, but that's about it.

Miltank: 7.5/10. Largely inferior stat spread to Tauros for in-game, but Milk Drink is nice.

Blissey: 1/10. Not only is it postgame only, not only is it really hard to catch, but it has NO OFFENSE WHATSOEVER before it evolves, thanks to 35 special attack and no Seismic Toss in GSC.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: March 23, 2014, 03:47:17 AM »
So...question:  Should I post a Standard Deviation of each typing, or wait til the very end to show a "Full Cast" Standard Deviation?  Responses would be appreciated!  I'll edit in if appropriate later.

Average   STDEVA
Pidgeot   5.21   1.52
Raticate   6.07   0.67
Fearow   6.21   0.99
Clefable   2.29   0.91
Wigglytuff   4.36   1.11
Persian   2.93   0.93
Farfetch'd   2.71   0.49
Dodrio   3.43   1.51
Lickitung   1.64   0.94
Kangaskahn   2.00   1.15
Tauros   6.43   1.40
Ditto   2.43   3.15
Snorlax   5.60   0.89
Furret   5.21   0.99
Noctowl   3.71   1.95
Togetic   1.57   1.10
Aipom   1.86   0.90
Girfarig   5.57   0.53
Dunsparce   1.71   0.95
Granbull   3.57   1.48
Ursaring   6.50   0.50
Porygon2   1.43   0.53
Stantler   4.71   1.38
Smeargle   1.71   2.36
Miltank   6.50   1.00
Blissey   2.71   2.14

Best Rating and Worst Rating of this session can be seen via the Bolding and the Italics respectively.  Please proceed to...uhh...something!  And yes, if you can't tell, there was a tie.

Pokemon Generation 2 Fire, Electric and Dark types:
Charizard:
Ninetails:
Arcanine:
Rapidash:
Magmar:
Flareon:
Moltres:
Typhlosion:
Magcargo:
Houndoom:
Entei:
Ho-Oh:

Raichu:
Magneton:
Electrode:
Electabuzz:
Jolteon:
Zapdos:
Lanturn:
Ampharos:
Raikou:

Umbreon:
Murkrow:
Sneasel:
Tyranitar:

I am doing 3 typings now because Fire nor Electric have enough reps to really work on their own, and Dark is so small, and already partially covered due to Houndoom, figured I'd just toss them there.  Also, Sneasel...because shut up.

The gaps here are based on typing, not generation introduction, because I don't feel like making so many <_<

EDIT: Raichu qualifies for Light Ball Pika as well.  I forgot Light Ball was a thing here.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:04:36 AM by Meeplelard »

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 23, 2014, 06:50:57 AM »
Charizard: DNR, You can only get him from RBY
Ninetails: 3/10 - You get it early enough, and it learns Flamethrower at L31.  That's a bit of a wait, but could be worse.  Damage is lackluster compared to other Fire types, and its TM pool is not good.  Meh.
Arcanine: 4/10 - Starts with Bite right before a Ghost gym, learns Flame Wheel and eventually Flamethrower (50).  50 is bad, but it learns some great TMs that work well with the high attack stat.  I think it works better if you evolve early and don't wait for 50.  It's not like Arcanine is a great Special attacker anyway.  Stone evolution is a big minus if you can't find a stone.
Rapidash: 1/10 - Kanto scrub
Magmar: 8/10 -Get it early at Burned Tower, learns Fire Punch/Headbutt/Thunderpunch/whatevs, Flamethrower at 41, stats are competent enough and it doesn't need to evolve unless you hatched Magby for it.  Surprisingly good!
Flareon: 2/10 - Is Flareon, takes too long to learn things, Game Freak hates him, etc.
Moltres: DNR, see Charizard
Typhlosion: 8/10 - An excellent starter thanks to the elemental punches and great Speed.  Learns Flamethrower too late but solid regardless of that.
Magcargo: 1/10 - Don't do drugs, kids.
Houndoom: 3/10 - KANTO, but he's a pretty good attacker.  One of the biggest missed opportunities in the game.
Entei: 1/10 GLHF catching this thing.  Even if you do, there's no reason to use it over...
Ho-Oh: 9/10 - While Lugia is more durable, sometimes you'll take what you can get.  Ho-Oh is a powerhouse, he hits certain things hard and can Recover when he's in trouble.  Great TM selection too.

Raichu: 3/10 - Kanto, you know the drill.  If you happen to get one off the Odd Egg, it's usable but unexciting.  Thunderstone evolution is a minus.
Magneton: 2/10 - Typing is nice, but it learns crappy moves by leveling and isn't the kind of thing you want to blow TMs on.
Electrode: 2/10 - Even being traded can't save Voltorb. 
Electabuzz: 7/10 - Generally, this thing is Kanto only, but should you get Elekid from the Odd Egg, it is going to tear things up and do it well.  Elemental punches, Headbutt, you know the drill.
Jolteon: 3/10 - I am not fond of Jolteon in GSC.  You have to trade him to RBY to get Thunderbolt (or breed I guess).  If he learned better moves he'd be good as usual.
Zapdos: DNR
Lanturn: 7/10 Pretty easy to get, and has 2 good offensive types.  Not a bad Surf user at all.  Your best bet is probably a Rain Dance set for ingame (no Thunderbolt without breeding) which is pretty decent if you can spare a turn.
Ampharos: 5/10 Movepool is fine (though it learns surprisingly little by level) but its Speed can be a real problem.  A common choice since Electric types are at a premium in this game, but I don't think it's really that good.
Raikou: 2/10 If you can find the thing it's pretty sweet, but a lot of Pokemon can just use ThunderPunch anyway, so it's more icing on the cake than a huge boon to your team.

Umbreon: 4/10 It's just not that good for in-game.  STAB Bite is OK if you get Eevee to Level 30 before evolving, but that's so late.  Sadly, Umbreon is your best Dark type for in-game purposes if you care.
Murkrow: 1/10 KANTO
Sneasel: 3/10 MT SILVER! And it's frail. Edit: Didn't realize you could get it early in Crystal.  That sort of raises its usefulness.
Tyranitar: 1/10 MT SILVER!  And it's underleveled.  Screw you, GSC level curve.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:52:01 PM by jsh357 »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 23, 2014, 01:17:37 PM »
If someone knows a way to manipulate the phone for reliable elemental stones, I'll raise the grade of stone evolvers. Otherwise, well I've gone through all of Johto without getting a single one in Crystal before, and certainly never more than a single element stone (out of four) in a single run.

Charizard: DNR
Ninetails: 2/10. Nerfed SpAtk, limited movepool, stone evo.
Arcanine: 2.5/10. Some decent moves, but stone evo is so crippling.
Rapidash: 1/10. Comes right before Victory Road with zero half decent Fire moves.
Magmar: 7.5/10. ACTUAL AVAILABILITY (except in Crystal), huzzah. Thunderpunch and Confuse Ray mean it has real movepool options as well.
Flareon: 1.5/10. More stone evo problems.
Moltres: DNR
Typhlosion: 7.5/10. Movepool is fairly backloaded, but the stat distribution is optimal and Johto is fairly kind to Fire types. Being a starter helps it get rolling quickly.
Magcargo: 0.5/10. Kanto only and underlevelled lolno
Houndoom: 1.5/10. Man, it'd be so good if it weren't postgame. >_<
Entei: Need to think about roamers.
Ho-oh: 9/10. The typing isn't really optimal, but hax stats and Recover go a long ways.

Raichu: 1/10. Need to soft reset the Odd Egg AND somehow get a Thunderstone, eww. Light Ball requires trading a Pika in from Yellow, incidentally, I wouldn't consider it an in-game factor at all.
Magneton: 4.5/10. Steel typing is niiiiice, but its level-up list is awful and this is by far the worst gen for electric TM access. Might change my mind on this.
Electrode: 2/10. Does it get ANY electric move by level in gen 2... *checks* nope! Only good for suiciding, then.
Electabuzz: 3.5/10. Would be really good... except, you know, Odd Egg or Kanto only. FUN FACT: The Odd Egg has a 1/8 chance of spawning a shiny, and a 7/8 chance of spawning a non-Shiny with 0 in every IV/DV.
Jolteon: 2.5/10. Stone access problems, electric TM access problems.
Lanturn: 7/10. Great typing, Spark access is a lifesaver this generation. Mediocre stats hold it back, though.
Ampharos: 7.5/10. Thunderwave helps with the low speed. Largely terrible electric options this gen inflate its grade.
Raikou: See Entei.

Umbreon: 5/10. Not really well-suited for in-game, but I'm bumping its grade up for not requiring a stone evo at least. Could change my mind on this later.
Murkrow: 1/10. Gamefreak really had it in for Dark types in-game, didn't they.
Sneasel: 3.5/10. Saved by Crystal adding it to Icy Path. It needs the Shadow Ball TM to actually do its job of Psychic killing, but with the huge dearth of in-game Dark types and SB not all that desirable this gen, that's actually... not too ridiculous? Good offensive stats at least, frail with a lousy movepool though.
Larvitar: 1/10. You can actually buy one at Celadon Game Corner if you really wanted one before Mt. Silver for some reason. T-tar isn't even that monstrous yet, without Sandstream.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:45:41 AM by hinode »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 24, 2014, 06:33:59 AM »
Pokemon Generation 2 Fire, Electric and Dark types:
Charizard: DNR
Ninetails: Bleh, stone evo.  3/10
Arcanine: Again.  3/10
Rapidash: lol.  2/10
Magmar: This had availability?  This had availability.  Okay.  8/10
Flareon: It's Flareon.  2/10.
Moltres: DNR
Typhlosion: Best starter of the bunch as I recall.  8/10
Magcargo: aww yeah.  0.5/10
Houndoom: ;_;.  2/10
Entei: Eh, catching roamers, glhf with that shit.  2/10.
Ho-Oh: Yeah this bird's pretty good.  9/10.

Raichu: ah... ha... ha... no 1/10.
Magneton: Good god get a moveset.  3/10
Electrode: no electric moves by levelling?  gtfo.  2/10
Electabuzz: KANTO.  3/10.
Jolteon: Well at least it's not Flareon.  3/10.
Lanturn: oh hey you're cool.  7/10
Ampharos: god are you the only electric type until lanturn really why.  Oh well, still very useable in this context.  7/10
Raikou: Eh, catching roamers, glhf with that shit.  2/10.

Umbreon: Eh at least it's not a stone evo.  4/10
Murkrow: fuck.  1/10.
Sneasel: ugh, I guess you can get it early enough in Crystal but still what were they thinking with that SpA.  3/10
Tyranitar: why.  1/10.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 24, 2014, 07:47:30 AM »
Hmm I remember having plenty of evolution stones in Crystal; IIRC people kept phoning me to hand them over. Weird luck?

Also this list is reminding me why I don't care for GSC.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.