Register

Author Topic: An Aesthetic Discussion Spanning 17 Years - Andrew vs Pokemon - DAILY UPDATES!  (Read 39354 times)

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Babymon, edgymon.

Hippopopopopotas looks like a clay pot that someone threw, saw wasn't working very well, and slapped some extra slip of various colors on to make it look cool. Then they abandoned the idea and tried to bury it in the sand. Then a frog found it and got stuck trying to get out of the hole at the top.

Hippodown is like someone made a Digimon of the failed art project (it's those metal bracers that do it). While I get that eyes may become irritated and itchy when exposed to large amounts of sand, this seems like it's maybe overdoing it? Maybe?? I do feel a little sad for him, though, because his attempt to drag himself out of the quicksand is not going so well, even though his body is trying to bail out the extra sand.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
I forgot they existed.   I forgot this for a reason.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Skorupi: Accordion scorpion. Also the return of purple. I feel like the weirdest thing about this design (eyes popping off the head aside) are the fact that its "claws" are just single balls attached to its head. Like, I have no idea what to do with that. I think the core body looks decent (if a little weird), but those arms really mess with the whole design. Beyond that, something about the aesthetic here really makes me think Gen 3 for some reason, but I can't place it. 2/5.

I can't handle Drapion tonight. I'm too sleepy.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
"Okay, let's start with a nice, cute round head. And give it a spheroid little body. Oh, and add four legs! We like things with four legs. And then I guess since it's a bug we'll have to add in, like, angular eyes? And --"
"HORNS!"
"What?"
"IT NEEDS HORNS! ON ITS TAIL!"
"It has a tail? Well, alright, I guess, it can have a tail too. Oh, I know! Slinky Pops are kind of neat, let's do one of those."
"WITH HORNS."
"Okay, sure. So then because it's a bug we can give it some mandibles, and --"
"MORE HORNS."
"... what? Where? On its head? I guess --"
"NO! ON BALLS ON ITS HEAD."
"... what? Wh -- you know what, nevermind. Sure. Extra pokey things on balls on its head. Why not. We have like 80 more of these things to finish. We'll do better on the next one."

OR WILL THEY

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Drapion: Its been a month and I still don't know what to do with this fucker. Its a man scorpion made of slinky pops with its arms coming out of its head. And the fang/mandibles became, like, tissue paper. There is just a lot of stuff going on here, and literally none of it is good. I hate this thing so much. 1/5

Croagunk: Also not fond of this thing. The design just doesn't... really evoke anything for me. Purple gets you poison I guess and like... the wraps get you fighting? I don't know. The colors don't super compliment each other well. Its just uninspiring without being so hideous that I absolutely loathe it. Without knowing anything about it, the orange middle finger is super goofy (and doesn't really communicate what reading the dex tells you). 2/5

Toxicroak: I made a mistake coming back to this. The froggy throat pouch looks like a tumor. The upper lip(?) line looks stupid. The white wraps have movede down to look like a diaper. There's a lump on its back that looks like another tumor. I guess the stabby finger at least better communicates what it does. Except they then add a random orange toe that looks pointless. Just... every individual element here is kinda stupid, and they do not add up to be more than the individual pieces. Or maybe they do, but they just are all worth negative numbers. 1/5
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 05:49:24 AM by AndrewRogue »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
I for one can appreciate declining to give Croagunk and Toxicroak numerical rankings out apathetic contempt.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Carnivine: Man. Grass really has some of the like, super forgettable pokemon. It isn't like, the worst or anything. It just feels really uninspired for such a cool plant. The colors are good (nice little red vines), the body is kinda weird and reminds me of the issues I had with Mismagius though, where they just sorta put a bulky shape there for... reasons? It at least makes a bit more sense with a plant since it looks like it is sprouting out of a seed, but that kinda makes it a waste as a one-stager. And those eyes are really googly. Which I usually don't have a problem with but for some reason it just kinda sits poorly with me here. 2/5

Finneon: It is fish. But I like it. The colors are relaxing, the body shape is nice (better than the slightly misshapen Goldeen), and the butterfly tail is cute. And the little triangle by its eye makes it look so happy! And its got anime girl bangs on its head as top fins! Its cute. But also really generic and continuing this post's theme of "pokemon no one really remembers." 3/5

Lumineon: Reminiscent of an angelfish, but less good. Like what is that horrible tail it has? And why are the butterfly fins attached on like, the top of its body? And why does it look smug/stoned? Colors remain nice, but yeah. Its the negative side of generic and boring. 2/5

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
I like Finneon as a design, but I don't think of it as a Pokemon. It's one of the few I can think of off the top of my head where the shiny version actually looks like a decent color scheme and not just subjected to some washed-out or yellow-ified filter.

I mean, yeah, it's still yellow-ified, but at least it looks coherent.