Author Topic: Long Live Astrasia or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love 5e  (Read 3027 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
There seemed to be a couple people in chat interested in in 5e, so I’m doing this as a bit of a log of my experiences with the system.

The idea to start up a 5e campaign was rather spontaneous. I wasn’t initially thrilled with a lot of the changes 5e brought about – the return of the complicated save system, where sometimes the player rolls and sometimes the DM rolls when you cast a spell, and the spell levels being reverted back to the needlessly complicated level naming system (why do you get a level 3 spell at level 5 again? Could you have at least given it a less goofy name, like ‘Rank 3’?

But I was eager to play in another campaign after our 4e campaign with the same group had gotten derailed, so we decided to get together a group of people (beginners and people who don’t min/max) to play.

Looking through the Player’s Handbook, I noticed that feats as a mechanic was drastically reduced. Feats is one of the things I found most daunting about 4e, so a de-emphasis on them is a good change. In this edition, you choose at certain levels to either take +2 in a stat (or +1 in two stats) or to take a feat. This makes taking feats vs. stats an interesting decision, and to compensate, feats are quite powerful.

Another thing I immediately noticed and liked was the Advantage and Disadvantage mechanic. In 4e, one of the most frustrating things in my opinion was keeping track of all of the buffs and debuffs. In this system, it is pretty simple. If you have Advantage, roll twice and take the better result, if you have Disadvantage, roll twice and take the worse result. If you have something that gives both (even if one is given more times than the other), you roll normally. Conditional buffs and debuffs were not the most elegant part of 4e.

The main other notable things is that the skill system is pretty similar to 4e, and the characters generally have less options, with the lack of dailies and encounter powers for classes like Rogue and other physical characters. This makes the game faster and more simple, the latter which can both be good and bad. Also, low level spells can be ranked up, so if you cast a level 1 spell from a level 2 slot, it is more powerful. I’m not sure if 3e really does that. There are also Cantrips for mages, which act as 4e At-Will powers. All of the mage classes get at least one damaging Cantrip, and the arcane casters (Warlock, Wizard, and Sorcerer) get more. These also level up over time.

Stats are generally lower and scale up more slowly than in 4e. The maximum stat is 20 normally, and proficiency bonuses replace the half-level mechanic from 4e. Proficiency bonus affects attack, saving throws in abilities which you are trained, and skills which you are trained. For the most part, skills in which you are not trained you will be bad at forever. AC does not rise with level, only with upgrading equipment and gaining Dex. Dex, btw, is kind of an overpowered stat in the system. You can use it to use some weapons, and it affects AC and Initiative. Con is back to being a dominant stat, because it affects your HP every level.

Another mechanic that the game has is Concentration, which I think 3e has as well but I’m not certain. If you are hit while casting a spell that has the Concentration tag (often buffs or debuffs will have this), you have to make a Con saving throw or else the spell ends. You can take feats to give you proficiency in Con saving throws or Advantage on Con saving throws to lower the chance of being screwed over by this. There’s also the Hit Dice mechanic, which allows you to heal yourself for your HP die + Con modifier for a number of times equal to your level, but hit die only come back per day equal to half your level (according to rules as written, you never get them back at Level 1, but that is kind of idiotic so pretty much everyone is houseruling that. The Hit Dice mechanic makes Cleric less vital, but you really want in-battle healing for revival so don’t worry Cleric fans, they are still good.

Going through all of the classes, the character balance is pretty good. Casters don’t feel overwhelmingly powerful, and all of their spell slots max out at 4 per level. I know more about the classes our characters are actually playing, so those entries are longer.

Barbarian – Pretty defensive and reasonably good at taking care of themselves. Rage gives them resistance to physical damage and a bit of extra damage, and Reckless Attack gives them Advantage against enemies in return for them getting Advantage back at you. Later, you get more movement, two attacks, and critting ability, as well as a primal path which lets you emphasize either nature or anger. Their capstone ability is +4 Str and Con, and the cap on those stats is raised by 4 as well.

Bard – A versatile buff/debuff/healbot with a decent physical attack option. One of their main niches is Bardic Inspiration, which allows allies to add a die to an attack roll, a saving throw, or an ability check. The die starts at d6 and goes up with level, and after a while it turns from CHA mod of times per long rest to CHA mod times per short rest*, which is a nifty improvement. The second niche they have is the ability to dip into other class’s spells at certain levels, giving them offensive or healing options that they otherwise don’t really have. They also have two choices for their subclass; one gets more skills and more spell dipping, and the other emphasizes a physical build, giving multiple attacks, medium armor, and shields. Each also has modifications to Bardic Inspiration.

*a short rest is an hour in this edition, so it is a little more stringent than 4e encounter powers

Cleric – Cleric is still their usual good self, with great healing options, large variety in paths, and Channel Divinities that are on average quite good. They get an attack buff (or cantrip buff in the case of the more casterish Cleric builds) a few levels later than the others get extra attack, which helps them somewhat keep up in damage with the physical fighters. They can also pick up heavy armor in some of their paths. One of the paths, Light Cleric, is reminiscent of 4e Invoker.

Druid – They are a diverse caster with healing, nature, and some attack options, and they can morph into animals which is quite interesting. They also have a cantrip that makes their physical run off their Wisdom which is kind of awesome. I’m not sure how practical or battle useful that the Wild Shape powers are, but turning into an elephant is fucking awesome and I won’t hear otherwise.

Fighter – Fighter is your basic weapons and defense person. They get all weapons and armor, and they get one of six abilities that allow them to be better at different fighting styles – ranged, one-handed, two-handed, two-sword – or better at defending – an AC booster and an ability to block incoming attacks from allies. They also get a once per short rest ability that lets them take an extra turn, which is quite rad. But probably their two biggest niches are their ability to acquire stats and feats at a faster clip than the other classes and their Extra Attacks, which they get four of (no one else gets more than two). The two paths for Fighters seem pretty complementary to the package rather than amazing.

Monk – Their big thing is the multi-attacking with the unarmed strike and the ridiculous mobility. They can also reduce the damage of projectiles, which is super cool, and later they can reduce the damage of spells.Ki points also offer them some movement versatility, with Disengage being a good action to take if you want to get somewhere without provoking an opportunity attack. Their level 5 ability to stun for a Ki point seems potentially quite potent as well.

Paladin – Paladin is naturally a personal favorite, and the 5e incarnation is interesting. They have some of the Fighter passives, but no duel wielding or ranged style. They emphasize protection and helping allies with auras and stuff, and one of their spells is kind of like a 4e mark. They can also be a secondary healer in a pinch, although they shouldn’t be the primary healer. They have spells buff their physical attacks as well and they get a single Extra Attack. The paths are pretty cool as always, and one of them resembles Avenger from 4e. And all of the paths have awesome transformations at level 20!

Ranger – I’ll be honest, Ranger seems like a worst of both worlds Fighter/Rogue. I don’t really even give enough of a fuck to go over it. They can attqck but not as well as Fighter, they can dodge and reduce damage but not as early as Rogue, blah blah whatever.

Rogue – Rogue is pretty freaking awesome, sneak attack dice go up ridiculously fast compared to the general low damage scale of the game, and you can even ranged attack with Sneak Attack as long as an ally is next to the enemy. Awesome. They can be a skill monkey, with Expertise making them better at skills than most, but Cunning Action is really their great ability. The ability to attack and hide, disengage, or take a second move action is so good. They also can halve damage with reaction (!) at level 5 and can dodge spells a bit later. Yeah, Rogue is really good.

Sorcerer – Sorcerer and Wizard are pretty similar classes in the style of the 3e spellcaster. They have the classic spell lists (although somewhat toned down in their overpoweredness). In the case of Sorcerer, their big feature is Metamagic, which gives you a few choices of different properties of the spells. A couple of personal favorites are the one that makes their burst spells ignore friends, the one that increased accuracy by imposing Disadvantage, and one that makes spells Bonus/minor actions rather than full actions. You use these abilities by spending Sorcery points, which you start with 2 at 2nd level and gain one per level after that. These points are limited at first, being only restorable after a long rest, but over time you can use them quite often. Dragon Sorcerer ends up seeming pretty nifty, but I’m not into Wild sorcerer so much.

Warlock – Warlock is like the Satan-worshipping cousin of Wizard, but they feel distinct from Wizard or Sorc because of the nature of their spells. They restore spells after a short rest rather than a long rest, which allows greater freedom with spells. They only get up to 4 spells per short rest though (2-3) at lower levels, unlike the crazy number of spells from some of the other classes. They get some great passive abilities called Eldritch Invocations, which give them the ability to cast daily spells at will (False Life, which gives you 8 temp HP forever, is pretty damn valuable and makes the Warlock feel tanky compared to the other two arcane casters). Another great EI is the one that boosts the damage of Eldritch Blast, which is one of the money cantrips of Warlock. At higher levels you get the ability to fire multiple shots of it at either one or several enemies, which makes it a great cantrip. Another interesting thing about Warlock is that their spell slots are always the highest level they can be, so all of Warlock’s spells act as level 2 spells when he or she is class level 3 or 4, and since most powers scale up at a higher level, Warlock is able to use scaled up versions

Wizard – Wizard is pretty boring and straightforward; they have arcane traditions for each style of magic, and each of them boost those particular types of magic. Evocation is definitely a heavy-hitting damage dealer and allows you to target spells ignoring friends, so that seemed pretty cool. I haven’t looked at all of the arcane traditions that throughly, though.

I ended up deciding on a Valor Bard, but it was a tough decision. I also decided to play as a Lightfoot Halfling. Halflings actually has a really cool power that makes up for their low movement and limited weapon choices, which I didn’t feel like they really had in 4e. The best thing they have is Lucky, which allows you to reroll 1s, using the second result, lowering the chance of massive failure dramatically.

We ended up with a Dragonborn Barbarian, a pacifist Dwarf Cleric who ended up leaving the party after his traumatic experience being a mercenary, a Halfling Rogue who sneak attacks people with her bow, a Warlock Drow, and my bard of course. We ended up replacing the Cleric with an Elf Monk, which is an interesting and very mobile class. You’ll note that there are no Humans in the party, as this game seems to be encouraging people not to play as Humans.

On, and as an aside, the 5e Player's Handbook is something I have very conflicted feelings about. On one hand, its art is magnificent and colorful and the characters depicted are diverse and generally are quite beautiful. On the other hand, the book loves drooling over Drizzt, and even talks extensively about his anime rival Artemis. In the book, his personal motivation is described as “I will not rest until I have proved myself better than Drizzt Do’Urden.” Seriously now, whose life motivation is solely to be better than some random person? Maybe a sibling or something, but just no otherwise. Lastly, whoever decided to organize the spells in alphabetical order instead of level, class, or even school of magic should probably be fired.

Next time I’ll talk a bit more about how the game actually plays rather than character creation. Any questions/comments/corrections would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:51:12 AM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
Re: Long Live Astrasia or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love 5e
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »
I'm not sure what 5e calls them, but I know in 4e at level 10 you could sort of upgrade your current class into a different version which would let it specialize more, basically like Prestige Classes from 3e.  Does 5e have something similar?

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 05:09:33 PM »
They do exist in 5e, though in a more similar vein to 4e where they add on to the existing class as opposed to being a completely independent class. Each class calls them something different, and you get to choose one somewhere between levels 1-3. Each class has 2-3 of them to choose from, currently. Except Cleric and Wizard, because they have Domains and Schools of Magic.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 07:21:34 PM »
I think Cleric and especially Wizard are the most important of the paths; most of the others add bonuses which can be interesting or a neat complement to the class, but rarely influence the style of combatant as much as the Wizard Schools.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 08:05:55 PM »
I'll have to look into pursuing a Druid with a focus on the shapeshifting then.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 06:59:43 AM »
Now, about the actual combat… I’ll introduce in depth the cast of characters first.

We have a Barbarian named Sirius who is the tankiest member of our party by far (besides the Cleric, but he’s gone anyway); highest HP grown of all of the classes, starts with a feat to have 10 + Con mod + Dex mod AC when not wearing armor, and he starts with the ability to use a shield. This defensive style is a contrast to 4e where they are more about pouring damage into enemies. Anyway, Sirius’s job is to take hits and be in the front while us weaker party members hide. Personality-wise, Sirius is pretty quiet but loves dispensing his own brand of justice and believes that evil doesn’t deserve due process. He is Chaotic Good according to ye old D&D alignment chart.

Molly is a Lightfoot Halfling Rogue and her primary job is to make enemies die by shooting them over and over. Unlike in 4e, Rogues can get Sneak Attack die by an ally being next to an enemy, making it much easier to get the damage buff. Her extra damage starts at 1d6 and gains a d6 every two levels. Considering the slow damage progression of this game, that increase is quite powerful. I’d say the biggest flaw with Rogue is that they always only have one attack, and if that misses, then too bad. Fortunately, at Level 2 they have the ability to Dash (move again), Disengage (move away from enemies without being hit while moving), or Hide (roll Stealth to be able to attack with Advantage next turn). This combination is particularly valuable with the Lightfoot Halfling build, because they can hide behind allies. Overall, Molly is our single-target damage queen and a pretty good one at that, although her durability is pretty poor. Personality-wise, Molly is also pretty quiet, and she spends most of her time spying on people and stealing from others. She is True Neutralish with a slight preference for chaos.

Alita is a Drow Warlock who is the party mage. Warlocks get back their spell charges after an hour instead of a day, which can be quite powerful, and her potential for multitarget damage is high relative to the rest of us. She is also versatile, with a Cantrip/At-Will Power that is better than base physicals and another that she can use if she is trapped by an enemy. Warlocks are also the tankiest of the Arcane blasters; at Level 2, she gets an ability which gives her 8 temporary HP at the start of every battle, which makes her HP quite a lot better (she has 15 normal HP at Level 2). The ability doesn’t scale to high levels all that well but it’s nice for a while. Personality-wise, Alita is a runaway princess from the Underdark (wanted for attempting to murder her uncle) and she is chiefly concerned with pleasing her patron Belial by giving him parts of defeated enemies and draining the blood of random people. She wears a blood-soaked wolf pelt (that she pelted personally after one of our battles). If you value your internal organs and especially your blood you should probably steer clear. Alita is Chaotic Neutral, or so I like to tell myself.

Regan is a Lightfoot Halfling Bard who is the party healer and status mage, but she can also do both melee and ranged combat as well. Unsurprisingly, Bard’s calling card is their ability to do a little of everything. Spell-wise, healing magic and Sleep spells have been her calling card, although her Cantrip Vicious Mockery is pretty good at debuffing a single enemy (it imposes Disadvantage on an enemy’s next attack roll. She is pretty fragile, much like Molly, so staying in the back firing arrows is generally what she prefers for combat. Bard also has a lot of out of battle use; Song of Rest makes Hit Die significantly better at healing, lowering the demand for a dedicated healer, and Jack of All Trades makes her decent at most skill checks. Personality-wise, Regan is a talkative, happy Halfling who loves travelling, especially with people of heroic character, and she loves cheesy romance novels and other romantic stories. She is Lawful Good.

Tybalt is an Elf Monk with huge speed and lots of versatility. Ki points allow you to do limited extra actions, including Dash, Disengage, and a small double attack, and their speed allows them to get many places to do it. I don’t have as much to say about Monk yet, as the mission we did with the Monk wasn’t all that Monk-friendly, but they seem potentially quite interesting. Since Tybalt is an Elf, he can wield a Longbow quite effectively, so good luck trying to outrun him. Personality-wise, Tybalt is a bit hot-headed and arrogant, but he is quite loyal and believes rather strongly in order. He is likely Lawful Neutral.

Freylour was our peace-loving Cleric with STR and DEX scores of 8. He took no offensive actions in combat because of being a pacifist, and although it was fun from a battle roleplay perspective, the character was not especially effective in battle. In-battle healing isn’t really so vital that you need a dedicated non-combatant to do it, especially since there is healing you can do as a bonus action, which allows for revival while still attacking. Anyway, he believed that harm should not come to living creatures, which was a bit of a conflicting philosophy with the other party members. Alita and Molly were fairly relentless in killing, and Sirius was not particularly cool with leaving evil people alive. Eventually Regan, after getting fed up with Freylour reviving terrible individuals after trying to revive a man-eating ogre, shot the ogre, made Freylour sad, and he ended up leaving the party.

The best way to describe 5e combat is that it’s fast and can be quite lethal (although we haven’t had anyone die yet). It’s also really fast-paced compared to 4e, with less indecision paralysis caused by too many options, and the turns go by quickly. Levelling up in 5e is quick for non-magic users as well, so if you want to put minimal effort into character creation, you will be fine. We’ve been playing the game with a map, which I am really fond of because I feel like it offers spatial perspective, but you don’t necessarily have to.

We’ve gone on two missions since we started the campaign; our Level 1 adventure investigating ruins and the Level 2 adventure was rescuing a Lord’s wife, a Cleric of Helm.

At Level 1, we did a couple hours of character stuff and travel, and then we dealt with a group of bandits in the first encounter. It was a nice introduction to combat, a couple of archers and a stronger physical character, and Sirius managed to fall below 0 HP in the first encounter. We had another encounter on the same day with a hostage situation where we dealt with two hobgoblins, and had a pretty lengthy interrogation afterwards. The thing that struck me after this session is how much stuff happened because the combat flows so naturally and quickly. Another thing I will mention is because of the lack of complicated feats or setups, it’s pretty easy to control other people’s characters without botching them too much.

In the next session we did four battles in a day, which is crazy for 4e but again speaks to the pace of the game being overall faster.

I think the weakness of the system is the lack of tricks in its monster design; our first boss, a half-ogre, was neutered completely by just Vicious Mockery combined with not rolling all that great. Those are the breaks, but 4e does that style of fight better, I feel.

At Level 2 we had a more complicated mission where we had to stealth into a hobgoblin camp and rescue a hostage. That ended up being most entertaining, with our invisible-until-attacking party trying to figure how to not die on this mission. Eventually one of us (Tybalt) got separated from the rest of the party and found the personal bath of the hobgoblin leader, Gripp. He also ended up wandering into his quarters and since Gripp can smell elves(?), Tybalt was kind of caught.

Meanwhile, the four of us are wandering around the camp together and came across a prison. Regan decided to stake out on the roof while the others checked it out from the ground. Molly tried to pick the lock on the door to the prison, while Sirius removed their siren bell. However, she was heard and the guards freaked out especially after the bell disappeared, so they decided to go get others so we attacked them. Alita hurled a spell at them while Regan put one of them to sleep, but we ended up with a few hobgoblins in our face. Tybalt heard us and decided to jump out the window and help, but he hurt himself on the way out. Ow.

We fought a valiant, epic battle where three party members dropped, but because of the ranged, Bonus action healing, we managed to get two of them back on their feet to finish off the enemies. Alita in particular used her multitarget within 10 ft attack to murder the enemies. Meanwhile, our still-invisible Rogue delivered a Holy Symbol to the woman captive and she let out holy bitch smiting which pretty much won us the battle. She also revived our final downed person.

Our party ended up fleeing from the camp while being chased by a mob of hobgoblins, but after they got Sirius within 1 HP of dropping, we managed to high tail our asses out of there.

We have now reached level 3, where most of the party has picked their class path. We’ll see how the battles go now. :)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 05:15:39 PM »
Warlock seems kind of really good at Level 3. She upgrades her spell slots so everything she casts is at level 2, meaning Hellish Rebuke is 3d10 damage, Eldritch Blast is very good for a range 20 power, and she has burst 2 mulitarget that does 3d8 damage (and half on a miss). Oh, and effective HP that is better than everyone in the party except the tank (pretty crappy AC though, but she regens temp HP when she kills enemies).

Where was this Warlock in 4e?

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 11:27:43 PM »
Since I've had some 5e experience, I feel I can add my commentary here a bit?  It's somewhat disorganized and coming off of the top of my head, just as a warning in advance.

Experience in 5e generally slows the hell down after third level.  The system's set up to get your first two level-ups really quickly as to make it like a "tutorial".  I suppose it's easily possible if desired to start a game at third level with next to no fuss, really.

Bards...are a bit weird.  Their effectiveness depends largely on being able to read what the GM wants to use, knowledge of what does and doesn't work on what in general (which basically means having a copy of the monster manual), and your ability to strategize and take initiative in out-of-combat scenarios.  Alternatively, you can largely be a healbot who hands out save bonuses and throws Faerie Fire on people to grant advantage on attack rolls against them.

Valor's very much a deceptive archetype for Bards to pick, since their real benefits aren't going to be reaped for melee fighters until you hit level 10.  More than anything, their benefit is less that they're more capable of dealing damage, and more that they're a great deal harder to hit between access to Medium Armor and Shields.  Level 10 is simply when they can start using spells to actually compensate for their lack of damage-boosting abilities the physical primary classes get (somewhat.)  Lore bards are actually more effective for people who want to have a more significant offensive option earlier on.

Paladins, if allowed to nova their spell slots, essentially become melee cannons.  Probably one of the most effective classes at its job, all things considered, though restricted access to long rests will generally impact this.  Kind of gets terrifying with Oath of Vengeance paladins.

Fighters are...eh.  I'm not impressed with them, but I admit I'm biased in favor of ToB9S in 3.x for physical combatants.  Battle Master is less of that and more of allowing the "general" range of 3.x combat options.  Bit of a letdown, but it's at least more options than Champion, who leans on expanded crit ranges and nothing else.  Action Surge is pretty effective, at the very least.  They can be quite effective with Archery(+2 to hit with ranged weapons?  Yes please.) and Fencing (+2 to damage with one-handed weapons) fighting styles.  Feat backup for them generally involves the weapon feats for either heavy or ranged weapons, since they get to pretend they have Power Attack with them.

Warlocks are, as you have noticed, Ciato, fairly devastating.  Spell recovery on short rest plus one of the best cantrips in the game (boosted Eldritch Blast renders weapons in general largely meaningless for casters once you get to 5th level; two separate attacks at 1d10+CHA if you took Agonizing Blast is amazing, and it doesn't help that it's one of the best damage types in D&D ever: Force damage) will lead to that.  They have a fairly small per-encounter pool as a result, but the pros outweigh the cons on that one.  Infernal Warlocks(which I presume you picked) come with the extra benefit of having access to Fireball.  Holy damn, Fireball hurts.  Enjoy becoming the scourge of hordes. (Scorching Ray is also nice to pick as one of the few spells that reasonably scales up with slot level.  Second-level Scorching Ray fires 3 rays.  Fifth-level Scorching Ray fires six rays at 2d6 each.  Enjoy your eventual 12d6 focus-fire damage.)

Sorcerers...not sure what to say on them.  You're not the only one who finds Dragon sorcs more appealing than Wild sorcs--the former has more benefits you generally have control over.  Having played a Dragon Sorcerer myself, they can be built to have hilarious HP mods; mine gets +7 before any HP die roll (and at level 3 has 33 HP).  Not much else I can say on the matter that I haven't for Warlocks, aside from the fact that metamagic is a pain in the ass to pick at times.  Weirdly, the best close-range option he has right now isn't any of his spells, but his dagger.  (People keep thinking I've forgotten about Shocking Grasp when it's simply that unless I'm fighting something with metal armor, the dagger does more damage on average.  Gets weird)

So what do I think of 5e total?  It's...okay.  Advantage is an amazing mechanic that they should've used earlier, and narrowing stat curves has helped a bit (alongside eliminating the absolute PLAGUE upon magic items: ability score boosters), but I wouldn't call it the greatest?  I kind of miss some of my options and tacmaps, admittedly, so I'm going to be a bit biased.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 04:17:28 AM »
I find Bard and Rogue seem to have some really good chemistry since Rogue is so dependent on their one hit to do damage (as a contrast to Monk), so I generally just lay Bardic Inspiration on the Rogue unless there's a convincing reason to do otherwise. I also picked up Invisibility, which we might be able to combine with Assassinate in some fun ways, for all that right now we are just exploring a forest.

I really want to play a Paladin since they sound kind of badass in this addition, but with the current party composition I have to be the healbot.

I agree with you that Lore has better damage due to access to spells earlier, but the shield proficiency without dipping into another class or a feat is very nice, especially for the primary healer. Considering that my HP ain't so hot (27 at Level 4), it's nice to at least be dodgy. And yes, she's an Infernal Warlock who has been hunking Scorching Rays at all around her.

I dunno if it's just our specific campaign, but characters dying in battle after Level 2 or so due to overkill damage seems really really difficult. Also, our DM's philosophy on levelling seems to be "do something cool" rather than adding up the monsters anyway, so I dunno much about the EXP curve.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:19:34 AM by Luther Lansfeld »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 07:12:40 AM »
Scorching Ray is nice and all, but Shatter is what makes my poor encounters cry. Damn that spell.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 07:41:16 AM »
It's fun to pretend to be an AoE person periodically~

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »
Also, Level 4 has come and the choices have been made~

Monk and Bard took DEX, Warlock took CHA, Rogue took Crossbow Expert (which has poor synergy with Cunning Action but gives them an option for getting a second shot at Sneak Attack, and the Barbarian took Charger to help him get involved in the fight even if he is far away. I was pleased with the fact that the Feats vs. Stats debate seemed pretty balanced.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 05:10:39 PM »
Experience in 5e generally slows the hell down after third level.  The system's set up to get your first two level-ups really quickly as to make it like a "tutorial".  I suppose it's easily possible if desired to start a game at third level with next to no fuss, really.

Absolutely; the 5e game I play in with friends (who were all veterans of 3.x) started at level 3 without issues.

I actually generally hate advanced starts - I like to feel out the formative levels of a character organically - but I'm the only one in my group who feels that way, so I bend to them most of the time.  So it goes :P

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 05:42:20 PM »
The first two levels were great for the newbies to get their feet wet. It was really where the game shined, as opposed to 4e where I think both of the same people got a little lost because of all the additional complications. I think it took us two real sessions to get to Level 2 and another two to get to 3? I forget exactly.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 05:48:23 PM »
Yeah yeah Xperia curves whatever.  Real talk needed.

What specialisation did Regan take so I can choose between Arcane Trickster or some flavour of Fighter?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 05:52:35 PM »
Regan is a Valor Bard. If you were wondering about Molly, she's an Assassin.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 06:16:13 PM »
I can't read.

Hmmm so you see Arcane Trickster can pick locks and pockets with the power of their own mind as a free action.  That shit is off the chain.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 07:35:53 PM »
It is pretty damn cool. I think Molly's player just didn't want to deal with the cluster that is spell charges and all the bookkeeping associated with that.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »
p.s. grefter you should totally be a halfling and lord your rerolling 1s over others

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 05:38:26 AM »
This topic hasn't been posted in a while, so I thought, why not?

We are starting a new campaign at Level 3. As you may or may not know, Ranger was considered to be quite a bad class, and unenjoyably bad to boot. I think the class was tuned in a way that made them have some cool out of combat stuff, but they were ineffective and had difficulty doing damage and not dying in-combat. So they released this...

https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf

A few things they have changed to help Ranger:

At level 1:
-You ignore difficult terrain (this was level 8 before)
-You have advantage on initiative rolls.
-On your first turn during combat, you have advantage on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted.
-+2 damage against your Favored Enemy (increases to +4 at level 6) (this was their level 20 ability more or less)
-the natural explorer features work in all terrain rather than 'favored terrain' which was removed as a mechanic altogether

Higher levels:
-extra attack is now a path feature - the beast master does not get it
-healing spirit is a really good healing spell that ranger gets
-level 6 - +4 damage to favored enemy as well as advantage on all saving throws against favored enemies
-level 8 - bonus action dash replaces ignoring difficult terrain
-level 10 - hide in plain sight is greatly improved by not requiring being in nature
-level 20 - wisdom modifier to each attack roll or damage roll once a turn

Beast Master was completed overhauled, but I will be playing as the Deep Stalker Ranger, which is a bit of a revised version of the Gloom Stalker from Xanathar’s. We’ll see how these improvements help the class and its viability. It seems pretty damn good, but I’m not sure, having not seen it in action yet.

That’s a fuckton of improvements, though, which shows you how generally underwhelming Ranger was before. They felt massively overshadowed by Rogue, who is already not wonderful.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 04:15:42 PM »
Two extra notes:

1. To clarify, the Level 20 ability on Original Ranger is a bit different and probably a bit better. Rather than +2 damage upgraded to +4 damage every hit (Ranger gets two attacks a turn, so a potential of +8 damage), the Level 20 feature adds +Wis modifier (which will likely be either +4 or +5) to one attack or damage roll, applied after the roll. So you can flip misses to hits with the ability, which is pretty cool. I'd have to run the math on which one would be better.

2. Revised Rangers can pick ‘humanoids’ as their favored enemy at level 1, which is very powerful/overpowered depending on the setting. Old Rangers can pick from two humanoid races three times, which would end up covering a lot of the same bases, but they would not have six races until 14. (Also you aren't that great against Favored Enemies until level 20 in original anyway...?) I personally decided that I didn’t want to be a serial killer / bounty hunter / assassin, so I didn’t choose humanoids as my favored enemy, but I recognize that it is very powerful.