Register

Author Topic: DLC10 Wrapup!  (Read 4843 times)

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
Re: DLC10 Wrapup!
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 08:45:37 PM »
imgur is pretty much king for image uploading.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »
Imageshack's fine. FB but don't tag would also work I guess?\

EDIT: https://goo.gl/photos/wKU5wPQAVsi3G9tp6

DLC photos! I didn't take as many as I thought.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 02:19:28 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 03:26:53 AM »
Huh, there's one picture where VSM and Andy look related. Could just be the picture. Could just be that I never noticed before how they are secretly brothers separated at birth.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 05:42:24 AM »
Holy shit, I just noticed that I morphed into my avatar. All need is the newsboy and a vest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welp. Having technical diffculties uploading photos, so I'll comment on the photos posted by Super:

I love how in basically every photo where it looks like I'm talking, everyone else in the photo looks to be groaning.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_5SOLm-DJNcwckkTbCb_4fzAYdcomU__PDaf4lP_XVY=w1608-h904-no

With a discrete look, the open question is finally acknowledged. And answered.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/lh72pqmP8qhct2v1ohgdqbRhkD1HCRYyva4lnCvfWfc=w1608-h904-no

Guilt wracks me as I yet again fail to meet my own ethical standards. Ashley revels in her Chaotic Evil. The Spider-Queen snares another victim.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do have thoughts on specific parts of the con that I wanted to mention.

Mage-Bro: Got to see my newest good DL friend in person, and experience crushing defeats to him in Wii U games.

DKZ: First time we ever met. Took a while for him to open up to the group. Welcome aboard. Stayed in my room at first, was most respectful roommate I've had. I have never slept better at a Con.

Dhyer: This is the first time I actually managed an extensive solo conversation with Dhyer. It was wonderful picking his brain about things he is passionate about, because he expresses that passion with considerable depth.

Aziraphale: After Met and I finally met, she made a comment I found touching, where she said she wished she had my creative spark or sense of humor, and that it was a hard thing for her to say because she's so arrogant when it comes to her own. (As she ought to be.)
You are a captivating spoken reader. Until I met you, I have always considered myself the best at reading to an audience or listener that I have known. I humbly yield my throne. The sheer animation you put into your To Be or Not To Be game was fantastic. You utterly nailed every nuance the author put into his writing's "Speech". As both a Spoken Reader and a writer that goes out of his way to get his punctuation just so, I had to say something.

Gate/Kier: Gate, it's always a pleasure. Like I said, I think you're doing a good job at being a great-nerd-teacher. Kier? Hey, that means you're cool. At the Con, you reminded me of me at your age, because I would always hang out with my older sister's friends instead of people my own age. To see the respect they gave to me reflected in how the DLers is just further evidence for the huge pile that the DL is my family.

The Boards: I post basically never on the boards, and apparently there are DLers here that I haven't seen in ages? Well, I guess I'm back on the boards, or I'll try to be. I promise.

Ashley and Andy's trio of friends:

I observed them playing a card game I had never seen and then after the game sat down and jawed at them about strategy, some of which they didn't do because it would have been cheating (clarifying the rules for me), and some that they felt like they could have seen, but for the whole time I was around them afterward, I felt like a condescending dick. Even though I did say it was probably easier to be an observer than a player. I tried the same game later with Laggy, Kappa, Kier, and Tonfa (who carried us). It is definitely harder to actually play, and I was punished for my hubris.

I tried explaining to Ash/Grefter/Sopko about the strategy error I caught (as an observer), and, when I didn't think they got it, tried re-explaining, which just turned into Sopko perfectly skewering my propensity to over explain things/myself. I think he made Grefter laugh so hard he cried. I also laughed and cried but maybe not in that order.

Anyhow, they were cool people that I thought were really uncomfortable with all of us, despite sticking around voluntarily. I was glad when they played Key to the Kingdom with us.

Balding Guy with Glasses:
I had him pegged as "The Leader" for whatever reason. He reminds me of a guy who eventually ended up dating a girl I had a huge crush on, like, eerily so, and still managed to get me to like him, so clearly a good guy.

Hard Rock Chick
Had swagger. Like me, was Too Old for This Shit and One Day From Retirement when Key started. Hey, the two of us got out alive and didn't even have to grab a single treasure and put up with all that bullshit to do it. Who do you think were the real winners of the game?

Male Resting Bitch Face
Thought he hated me for the above reason, and because I always think everyone hates me. Nope. Turned out to just be acerbic. His Chaos Reigns approach to Key was the best part of that game.

No surprise, they fit right in.

LAX Wi-fi: The worst free wi-fi experience I have ever seen. How the fuck do random run-down Burger Kings in Michigan have better Wi-Fi than one of the most frequented locations on the planet?

For Documentation
VSM, sometime around Christmas, you're gonna wonder what the game Soppy had that you were going to tell your Brother-in-Law to consider. It is called "The Captain is Dead" and might need to be ordered from Canada.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 05:57:09 AM »
Imgur works again. Looks like upload went through. I need to stop forgetting I have my camera. I take so few pictures. This album has 6, total, 3 of which are the group shot/s.

I had others, but they were either just scenery or turned out really bad.

http://imgur.com/a/6hXNq#0

That third photo, with the Canadians and Commander, I have dubbed "...Yikes". I don't know what that's a reaction to, or how I GOT that reaction shot. A lesser photographer would think whatever they're looking at is more interesting, but I think the eyes are a window to the collective soul of humanity and speak more deeply about truth than the situation itself might.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:41:58 AM by Makkotah »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 09:55:48 PM »
This is a good reminder I shouldn't be in pictures.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 01:30:07 AM »
Balding Guy with Glasses:
I had him pegged as "The Leader" for whatever reason. He reminds me of a guy who eventually ended up dating a girl I had a huge crush on, like, eerily so, and still managed to get me to like him, so clearly a good guy.

Hard Rock Chick
Had swagger. Like me, was Too Old for This Shit and One Day From Retirement when Key started. Hey, the two of us got out alive and didn't even have to grab a single treasure and put up with all that bullshit to do it. Who do you think were the real winners of the game?

Male Resting Bitch Face
Thought he hated me for the above reason, and because I always think everyone hates me. Nope. Turned out to just be acerbic. His Chaos Reigns approach to Key was the best part of that game.

No surprise, they fit right in.

I will report back on what they say because of course I am going to share that with them.

For the record:

Ian: We have not yet met the girl he's seeing. There's a chance, since she is (also) vegan, the similarity to the guy wouldn't have carried on that far. Also, he is way too smart for the rest of us but is really nice about it.

Lara: Has a second-degree black belt, so, you know. Plus she is married to John and has to put up with him, so she's got a lot of practice skipping over the real win conditions (see below).

John: RBF is probably because he is building tables for optimization in his head and that takes a lot of work. Especially since from what I saw of that game there's far less "solve" and much more "survive."
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 03:16:17 AM »
Fun activities for all the family.

Put on this in the background and then go to image 6 of VSM's gallery

Mash left and right on your keyboard.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 04:23:23 AM »
I will report back on what they say because of course I am going to share that with them.

For the record:

Ian: We have not yet met the girl he's seeing. There's a chance, since she is (also) vegan, the similarity to the guy wouldn't have carried on that far. Also, he is way too smart for the rest of us but is really nice about it.

Lara: Has a second-degree black belt, so, you know. Plus she is married to John and has to put up with him, so she's got a lot of practice skipping over the real win conditions (see below).

John: RBF is probably because he is building tables for optimization in his head and that takes a lot of work. Especially since from what I saw of that game there's far less "solve" and much more "survive."

That was my intention. My regards, if you will.

You glorious bastard.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 06:27:02 AM »
We need the same kinds of descriptions for everyone at the con.

Like VSM is "Fake Andrew that is shorter and somehow more self loathing."

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
Sure.

Group pic label for those who still don't know who we all are

VERY front row, left and right (Bottom right):

Scrappy Doo, Visitor From Outer Space

Front row, Left to Right:
Still a Douche, Male Single White Female, Exactly as Smug as He Looks, Incredibly Toxic Even Before He Got Sick, Southern Exit Strategy, Eurotrash, Probable Sociopath

Third, Left to Right:
Always Chaotic Evil, Accurate Fucking T-Shirt, White Noise Machine, Now With Statistically Improved Vision!

Fourth, Left to Right:
The Quiet Jim, Sadly Not Quiet Jim, Lesbian Harry Potter

Everyone else is now back row, Left to Right:
John Water's Wolverine, Laggy's Severed Head, Tall Drink of Water, Chaperon, Wolfenstein's Easy Difficulty Setting, President Chester A Arthur, My Mom Said You Looked Forty (Sorry, Bro)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope no one's offended. I love you all like family, and therefor I will treat you like I do my family. Much worse than they treat me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:23:33 PM by Veryslightlymad »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »

the best part of this is vsm and andy switching smiles like the two of them only have enough happiness between them for one person

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 03:26:55 PM »
omg

he IS chester a arthur
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 08:33:26 PM »
I landed fine.

Thank you Laggy, Andy and Ashley for the post con activities.  Bundle in with RICHARD, Tal and Signeur Tori  Good food and good company all round.  Appreciate it a lot.

Ciatos and Elves,  super appreciate the couch crash as always, you guys are the greatest putting up with me being a lump on the couch that talks too much and swears at games in a running commentary every year.  Shakespeare continues to be a fun event to consume and to discuss.  A shame I missed your parents as much as I did David, they are great company and I adore every minute with them.  Really hope your dad has a great birthday.

I will do con related stuff later when not on phone, mostly just a "my plane didn't explode" post.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 10:23:58 PM »
Fixed my Dhyer joke. Should properly read "John WATER's Wolverine" which makes a lot more sense.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 05:07:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure you mean that extremely high compliment of John Waters' Wolverine.

Anyways, I would post something more indepth, but I think lots of familiarity (both with people AND location this time) makes indepth summaries harder. I did especially enjoy talking to DragonKnight Zero, Mage and Kier (who I am counting as a new person) since it's always great to meet new DLers. Basically, it was lots of fun (as always). Disappointed that the fantasy bookstore we were going to check out had become online only.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:55:24 PM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 07:25:47 AM »
I really like both John Waters AND Wolverine. It was mostly a jab at the hair.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 10:56:12 PM »
I did say it was a high compliment. I just meant that John Waters' is correct, unless you mean some XMen writer John Water?
...into the nightfall.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2015, 10:02:55 AM »
No, the awesome director/writer.

I originally put "John Carpenter", because he's the other director for go-to director jokes, but it implies something completely different. Mixed up my Johns.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2015, 05:35:19 PM »
Mixed up my Johns.

You'll never be all the hooker you can be if you keep that up.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2015, 10:12:03 PM »
Grefter caught wind of it and gave me some education. It was for my own good.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2015, 05:17:57 AM »
"Magic Sign: Milky Way"

I have my guesses on which cutesy nickname I've been given.

Unsorted  thoughts about DLCon:

As I was motivated to connect person to person, I didn't bring any portable gaming devices on principle.  Was a bit of culture shock to walk into a room with 6-8 people and see every person in the room individually on their own gaming devices and not talking to each other.

Execution of my intent could go better.  I'm total cause for that, not blaming anyone here.

I'm glad the group I went on a food run with waited while I grocery shopped.  Small thing yet overall experiences are built on many small things.

Enjoyed gabbing about FFT in a face to face conversation.  Yes, I am able to match FFT battle music to the story battles they play in.  So nerdy...

No PS2, darn.

I rarely play those complicated tabletop games that take an hour or more to learn.  This weekend, I actually felt I had the time to dig into something completely new.  I dig the cooperative aspect of Eldrich Horror.  Didn't take it personally that the RNG went on a mean streak and I ended up with a dead character.

Jeopardy style clickers for the music quiz is a fantasy that won't come to pass due to logistical hassles.  It's not enough to know the song; one's got to be quicker than the rest of the room, heh heh.  (I liked it as is; clickers are mentioned for humor)

Enjoyed a lazy Sunday morning.  Didn't think anything in Gamestop could catch my attention though I was surprised to see a Mario level maker.  Took Nintendo over 10 years to catch on to the modder community and decide to profit from it...

I would often consciously walk away from a conversation when it turned into a "they should" rant or a Moan and Groan society meeting.  Not attractive.

My stomach had an influence on when I chose to take off on Monday.

Would I attend another DLCon?  Yes.  No promises as to when; I factor travel expenses into my choice.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »
  As I was motivated to connect person to person, I didn't bring any portable gaming devices on principle.  Was a bit of culture shock to walk into a room with 6-8 people and see every person in the room individually on their own gaming devices and not talking to each other.

This is the single greatest thing I've ever read about the DL or about DLcon.

EDIT:
Incidentally, all nicknames are facetious. If you ever come to another one of these, I'd gladly be your roommate again.