Author Topic: RPGDL 2016 Season 3, Week 4  (Read 1119 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2016 Season 3, Week 4
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:57:32 AM »
Godlike

Violetta (Grandia III) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Riou (Suikoden II)

Heavy

Percival Fraulein (Suikoden III) vs Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Georg Prime (Suikoden V) vs Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium)

Middle

Sargent Jordi (Suikoden III) vs Clarine (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword)
Fred Maximillian (Suikoden III) vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI)

Light

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)
Fredrick (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Igrene (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword)

Data Mine

Please list any games you'd like to have added to the ranking data.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2016 Season 3, Week 4
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 01:24:29 AM »
Godlike

Violetta (Grandia III) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn): Violetta can't even OHKO the corner auras. Granted, her fan attack should get multiple and 2HKO them, but even if it gets all four she'll need two of those + four Dances of Death? Meanwhile Ashera 2HKOs her.
Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Riou (Suikoden II): Holy resistance.

Heavy

Percival Fraulein (Suikoden III) vs Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics): Break or something. As usual I don't respect Yellow Scarf getting non-S3 statuses.
Georg Prime (Suikoden V) vs Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium): OHKOs, I imagine.

Middle

Sargent Jordi (Suikoden III) vs Clarine (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword): I mean it might not be completely crazy for Clarine to 4HKO, double, and survive a Silent Lake through evasion, but nah probably not. Joe accuracy was pretty solid, he should land the 2 attacks he needs out of 4.
Fred Maximillian (Suikoden III) vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI): S3 fighter without Heavy Damage against Mog. That'll work.

Light

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters): More MUSIC! Similar to her fight with Mallow probably. I dunno.
Fredrick (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Igrene (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword): Straightforward. I'm not sure how Frederick got to round 3 of a tournament, but it probably involves Chidori and Edward being really damn bad.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:44:29 AM »
Godlike

Violetta (Grandia III) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn): Violetta can't even OHKO the corner auras. Granted, her fan attack should get multiple and 2HKO them, but even if it gets all four she'll need two of those + four Dances of Death? Meanwhile Ashera 2HKOs her.
Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Riou (Suikoden II): Holy resistance.

Heavy

Percival Fraulein (Suikoden III) vs Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics): Break or something. As usual I don't respect Yellow Scarf getting non-S3 statuses.
Georg Prime (Suikoden V) vs Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium): OHKOs, I imagine.

Middle

Fred Maximillian (Suikoden III) vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI): S3 fighter without Heavy Damage against Mog. That'll work.
Light

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters): Absolute smash.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 02:24:56 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:38:28 AM »
Godlike

Violetta (Grandia III) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Well then.
Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Riou (Suikoden II) - Well so much for Forgiver Sign.

Heavy

Percival Fraulein (Suikoden III) vs Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Break.
Georg Prime (Suikoden V) vs Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) - Something fatal probably happens turn 1 here on average.

Middle

Sargent Jordi (Suikoden III) vs Clarine (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) - look at this smug duck

Light

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - Well unlike Mallow, bardy things is a core part of Ricardo's skillset.  Of course his core means of attacking has nothing to do with music... but that doesn't really change the fact that I kiiiiind of don't see Trish doing actual damage here.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 05:09:15 AM »

Heavy

Is Percy's slugging under SL really that incompetent?  I guess.  (Also, I'd be inclined to let Scarves stop Stone, but not sure if that helps since Chicken isn't really immunable.)
EDIT: And Random claims Magic Sword isn't silenceable anyway, so.

Middle

Light

Idly, I wonder if Fred would have a shot in a no-Braves average where Javelins hurt a bit more.  Probably not.

Data Mine

I Am Setsuna, I guess.  (Apparently it's just me, with partials for Random & Djinn, I think?)
I don't see Celestian Tales: Old North in the list?  Was that ever done?  (For all that this one is a bit weird since there are Xenosaga-esque sequels promised for the future...)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:22:49 AM »
For what it's worth, plenty of FFT enemies immune chicken (brave loss, no, but chicken yes). A lot more than immune blind/slow/silence, for instance. (Slow, secretly badass in Final Fantasy games.)

Even as far as extending S3 status immunity goes (reminder: it only blocks 4 status effects, out of 6, which is one of the least impressive claims to "full status immunity" I've ever seen), extending it to petrify feels weird. Petrify's a lot like instant death, after all, one of the things scarves explicitly miss. I can see saying it's more akin to paralyse, for all that I don't really agree.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 06:33:07 AM »
Almost no FFT PCs immune Chicken, though, which is the interesting part to me.

I forget what the 5th status that apparently isn't immuned is (Freeze?), but one of the ones that isn't is ID, which isn't exactly a status effect and many many games don't let status immunity cover.  So my recollection is that it's more like 4/4 statuses which isn't bad.

Fair enough that seeing Petrify as an instant death analogue, though.  I know that if all the remaining PCs are Petrified it's game over, but is that true for enemies as well?  (I guess it probably is thinking about it, I don't recall having to break undead statues in the swamp with Mustadio...  I guess I could be convinced.)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 06:48:55 AM »
Yeah, you win if all non-dead enemies are petrified (and/or invited). Which is good because you can't actually deal damage to petrified targets.

The other status yellow scarves miss is stun.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 02:33:12 PM »
Stun I wouldn't even consider a "normal" status ailment either.  So yeah, Yellow Scarves do indeed get all "conventional" statuses, which makes 'em a perfectly legit all-blocker to me.

Put things another way, compare it to Pokemon Safeguard.  Safeguard gets all "normal" statuses that persist turn to turn, but doesn't stop the likes of Flinch or ID or cooldown turns on Hyper Beam-style moves (=unbalance), which are exactly analogous to the S3 case.  Or exotic weird effects like Encore.  It's fair to say that Petrify is closer to ID, but for "normal" status ailments (rather than "any change interesting enough to be noted"), it seems clear that the intent of the moves is to stop them.

Moot here anyway of course.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 09:38:18 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 01:15:10 PM »
Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Riou (Suikoden II) - lol

Percival Fraulein (Suikoden III) vs Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Stalling is not how you beat Beowulf's status game.
Georg Prime (Suikoden V) vs Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) - Should OHKO on average, yeah, even with def-twinked setups. Beowulf Heavy champ is going to be -silly-, though.

Sergeant Jordi (Suikoden III) vs Clarine (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) - Yeah, Clarine sometimes might even -win- this fight, but it's not in her favor as a general rule.
Fred Maximillian (Suikoden III) vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI) - lol

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - Yeah, my line of thinking here's pretty much along Random's lines. Tricia with nerfed offense is a really sad thing.
Frederick (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Igrene (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) - Good job beating up on Punies, Frederick. Sadly, this is as far as you go.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Godlike

Violetta (Grandia III) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Well then.
Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Riou (Suikoden II) - Well so much for Forgiver Sign.

Heavy

Percival Fraulein (Suikoden III) vs Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Break.
Georg Prime (Suikoden V) vs Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) - Something fatal probably happens turn 1 here on average.

Middle

Sargent Jordi (Suikoden III) vs Clarine (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) - look at this smug duck

Light

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - Well unlike Mallow, bardy things is a core part of Ricardo's skillset.  Of course his core means of attacking has nothing to do with music... but that doesn't really change the fact that I kiiiiind of don't see Trish doing actual damage here.

This works.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 07:02:28 AM »
Godlike

Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Riou (Suikoden II): Holy dead Tenkai batman!

Heavy

Percival Fraulein (Suikoden III) vs Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics): Silent Lake.
Georg Prime (Suikoden V) vs Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium): OHKO's fairly cleanly I suppose.

Middle

Fred Maximillian (Suikoden III) vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI): Mog vs. Defense-subject physical attacks. WINNING PLAN.

Light

Data Mine

Please list any games you'd like to have added to the ranking data.

Celestian Tales: Old North?

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 02:27:30 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Data Mine

Tokyo Mira- *is shot*

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 07:33:31 PM »
Data Mine

Tokyo Mira- *is shot*

It has at least four players, so that's enough for it to be a serious suggestion!

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 08:58:41 PM »
Yeah, I absolutely plan to track #FE.  My own list is along the lines of Trails SC, Trails of Cold Steel, and #FE.  I mostly like to fish for suggestions because I tend to derp on stuff a lot (for example I'd have totally forgotten I am Setsuna)

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 01:25:55 AM »
Godlike

Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Riou (Suikoden II) - This is why the winner last week didn't matter!

Heavy

Percival Fraulein (Suikoden III) vs Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Silence doesn't stop Magic Sword? Really? That seems like a design oversight but whatever.

Middle

Light

Data Mine

Bravely Default 2.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 12:57:59 AM »
Godlike

Violetta (Grandia III) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)- iiiiiii
Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV)- iiiiiiiiii vs Riou (Suikoden II)

Heavy

Percival Fraulein (Suikoden III)- i vs Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics)- iiiiiiiii
Georg Prime (Suikoden V)- iiiiiiii vs Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium)

Middle

Sargent Jordi (Suikoden III)- iiiiii vs Clarine (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword)
Fred Maximillian (Suikoden III) vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI)- iiiiiiiii

Light

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)- iiii vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- ii
Fredrick (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Igrene (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword)- iiiiii