Register

Author Topic: Song selection topic for "Kaitlyn's Song of the Week"  (Read 32965 times)

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
Re: Song selection topic for "Kaitlyn's Song of the Week"
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2016, 10:11:08 PM »

Bastille - Huh.  Huuuh.  Well, I like this a ton, but it's one of those cases where the video is essential and it's more like a short film that happens to be built around a song.  Actually at its worst in the middle when it's just doing a standard major chord rock chorus, the middle minute or so fell flat with me, but everything else before and after?  Fantastic.  Atmospheric, attention capturing, great sound design and conceptual linkage. 

Battle Beast - I guess we are far enough away now that we can do Trump protest songs.  It's solid.  Too politically on the nose to do better than "solid" with me.  The music has a classic feel to it, but I'll never be able to hear it without the lyrics and theme overpowering everything.

Olly Murs - Too saccharine for me, and not a lot going on in the music, just yon standard romantic/nostalgic happysong.  I liked the chorus coming in at the very end, but too little too late, it should *start* rather than end there. 

Julian Jordan - For the first 1:30 I didn't even look at the video and predicted it would be concert shots when I did.  It was.  Pretty by-the-numbers track, not much to see here or say about it.  Higher pitched than most, which is interesting but more likely to score negative points than positive.

Timmy Trumpet - See previous track.  The vocals and running beats, especially in the back half, do make this one quite a bit better, but it's still stuck in the land of stock drops and structures, so like 7.5/10 rather than 5/10. 

Tegan and Sara - See Olly Murs, though much improved.  T&S is something I feel like I'm supposed to like, everyone else seems to, but their latest stuff just isn't doing anything for me.  It's smooth and not unpleasant to listen to, but... no emotional resonance, nothing standing out.  Just another pop piano song.

Pretty clear winner for me, Bastille is good enough that I don't feel much need to go digging in previous weeks, although there is still quite a lot of good stuff from the last couple months of this thread.  The world of "song" is always fun though, thanks for doing this, as ever!

Bastille > Battle Beast > Timmy Trumpet > Tegan and Sara > Olly Murs > Julian Jordan

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2016, 10:39:48 PM »
I was expecting it to be between Tegan & Sara and Bastille, Battlebeast puts up some competition though because it is some decent Iron Maiden throwback stuff.

I think I like Tegan & Sara more than Bastille personally, but it is a track about regret, self reflection and not liking what you see.  Broken songs about broken people.  Bastille is really strong in the ways they were on Bad Blood.  Clean production but really lush.  Not overly busy but pretty dense tracks and super evocative lyrics and imagery in the videos.  If you haven't seen Pompeii yet Alex you should really check that out.

So I guess Bastille > T&S > Battle Beast.

I think there is a bit more going on with Timmy Trumpet than Alex does, but he is just doing old hard dance stuff that was popular in Australia when he got his start so it isn't like a huge stretch.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2017, 09:28:57 PM »
Been home sick; only have one new song to add (so recommend a song that was skippe dfrom a previous week probably).  The one new song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMeyvg1M52k
Yelle

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2017, 10:32:47 PM »
No recommendations.  Would pick this over previous weeks.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2017, 07:33:39 AM »
Yelle - Pretty good, I liked it.  Nothing too spectacular, but unusual instrumentation, good high/low contrast and a quirkpop vibe that feels like it's much more common in non-American music (or maybe that's just the french lyrics rolling well?)  Seems fine as a pick.  Nothing else from the last few weeks makes me want to unseat it.  The Shtevil or some Tegan and Sara would be the contenders there?  Yeah I like this better than those.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2017, 11:12:09 AM »
My vote is David Bowie and you know why.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2017, 07:44:37 PM »
Ed Sheeran - I liked the percussion intro, and then... that was the whole song.  That and the unrelentingly crass lyrics.  What a shame.  There are roots of a great song in here, but instead it goes in directions I find quite unsatisfying.

Tinashe - Really reminds me of the Doom 2 soundtrack, of all things.  Pretty minimalistic, I don't hate it, the rhythm and beats are nice and sharp.  The last minute in particular suddenly takes a turn to awesomeland.  But... being so minimalistic puts a lot of emphasis on the lyrics and video, if you have it up, and those are, uh, A Thing.  I guess they're less bad than the previous song, but still getting me to knock off a few metaphorical points.

Crazy ex girlfriend - Ha'kay.  Entertaining, I approve of TV shows going in this direction.  Pretty reasonable quality, funny lyrics.  Wears out after a single listen though - even on just the second pass I'm already done with it.

David Bowie - Still releasing songs from Dracula's moon base, I see.  And... yep.  I didn't necessarily like *all* his final album sing about my own death stuff, but I like this.  Completely different level to the competition.  It is in the most common Bowie atmosphere groove, but nothing wrong with that, it has its unique touches, and the execution is exquisite. 

Ravi - Good rap, lower/darker toned (musically) and more direct than I would expect from K-rap.  Not very complex though.  Feels like an artist/genre filler song, fine when you want that kind of music, but nothing particularly outstanding about this specific track.

Epica - I went on an emotional metal binge last night, not sure if that is adjusting my perception of this up, down or not at all.  Good song, really strong chorus.  I think it's overall a little softer than I would like for the concept - 4:45 is okay but even there it feels a little held back until the solo at 5:15.  Yeah, the back half is really good with that section and solo moving back into the final chorus.  Sooooooooooo gooooood.  If the front sections were on the same level I'd rate this top tier!  But as is, I'm not quite sold until the final two minutes, which is just a bit too late for me to really get the groove on. 

Good week, I loved most of these, and even the ones I didn't had some things to like about them.  But yeah, the pick is not even close to close.

David Bowie >>> Epica > Ravi > Crazy ex > Tinashi > Ed Sheeran

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »
Hmmm...well, the question is whether I go against advice this week.   "Two first places" dictates that I should pick Bowie.  But...Epica was very solidly first for me, and Bowie was towards the lower half of the pack.  Epica is also #2 for Alex (although...for different reasons--he finds the section at 4:45 one of the better parts of the song, I find it one of the weaker parts).

I also got the opportunity to talk to my family over the break, and it definitely reasserted how much they care about an interesting video.  (Bowie's video is a video of a screen with lyrics.  For obvious practical reasons of course.  That said, it manages to be fairly compelling--although my attention wanes when it starts showing like...migratory birds on the screen instead of words >_>)

If my parents or my sisters were Bowie fans the choice would be Bowie...but they're not.  Hmm...think I'm going Epica, actually.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2017, 05:59:28 AM »
Well, I do definitely have a clear favourite this week; I probably could be talked into another song though.  Finalists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GoGcVs6pbU
Sia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNlbtjYrxzU
Choi ye_guen Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3k7r_U8b40
Battle Beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m37MbmblFpk
Shusei’s Project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYDix4FttA
CLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMVOwH2exHs
Xandria

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2017, 02:08:26 AM »
Sia - This is the weakest Sia has had I think?  At least in recent memory.  It is fine I just don't think it rates this week.

Choi ye_guen Band - This is probably my pick musically this week super easilly.  Swing with the brass section stripped out?  Yeah I can get behind it.  Some of this is probably just mood based, but this is good.

Battle Beast - Not as good as King For A Day, but I don't think I have actually called out how rad the lead singer is.  She is rad as fuck.  Her jackets are always on point.  The makeup is great.  Like I probably should have done that rant sooner.  Also this album feels a lot more England and more of a throwback than the stuff from earlier in this than they did.  That is it feels like more of a Thatcher era throwback than it did before.  I can dig it.

Shusei’s Project - Track from Laggy?  It hits that sweet spot of stuff I associate him liking that isn't Jazz/hard dance techno fusion or someone throwing rocks at a wind chime.  It is okay.  Could be an anime opening or closing and it wouldn't stand out.

CLC - I don't think much of the song, but the shirts are fucking out of control.  'What is Adult?'  Wow that is a lot to unpack.

Xandria - I love like... everything this does.  It is camp as fuck and the costuming is all over the place.  Everyone is having a great time and is all in on the delivery.  That is absolutely everything I want in my melodramatic symphonic metal about fantasy things.  Wizards of the Coast need to pay these guys for the rights for this to be the next plane they develop anything for in MTG.

Also since I typed up half of this last night and then got...  distracted, this is a bit less timely, but friend of mine's band had their album come out today.  Aversions Crown is probably wayyyy too heavy for our usual audience here, but even a day after release Xenocide is currently rating #1 in Australian Metal charts on iTunes and still showing in overall charts, which is pretty hype.  So happy for Aversions Crown and need to pedal their stuff wherever I can.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2017, 03:34:55 AM »
Couldn't get to this earlier due to youtube crashing and depression, will do later tonight.  Brief looks at everything seems good; curious what Kaitlyn's favorite is?

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2017, 06:01:11 AM »
Sia - Eh yeah, what Grefter said.  It's ok but doesn't seem particularly inspired like her other recent works.  Creepy little girl is creepy but I'm not really getting much from it.

Choi ye_guen Band - Good music.  I dig it a lot.  I feel like it's a benificiary of foreign language music syndrome and I would dig it less if I understood the lyrics.  But I don't, so they sound cool.

Battle Beast - Video is kind of interesting, music not doing much for me though.  The spoken word part is good!  Takes a long time to get there though.  Overall in the same vein as Xandria but not quite as good.

Shusei's Project - Pretty, very anime.  Good violin and voice.  I hear a lot of this kind of music though and this track doesn't really stick with me.

CLC - Came and went.  Nothing bad about it, just another song that doesn't stand out much to me.  Good fashion.

Xandria - Vocals could be a little louder, her voice is certainly good enough to support the focus.  Great singing, lots of heart, fun video, some nice grunge guitar solo, yeah I'm on board with Grefter's summary.  This is all I could ask for from fun symphonic metal.

So yeah Xandria stands out a lot, CYG Band is also good, the rest of the pack is pretty close to me.  Probably depression getting in the way of emotional responses to some degree, but eh. 

Xandria > CYG Band > ... the other four are all equal, I can't even process a ranking for them.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
So...the one I wanted to listen to and kept listening to on repeat when I was supposed to be listening to 6+ songs is Battle Beast.  Not like there was a particularly objective reason for this, it just...was.  We did just pick them recently, and also picked symphonic metal last week.  Looks like it's not standing out for either Grefter or Alex, though.

So...Grefter and Alex's #1 choices are Xandria, and CYG band.  I know I had CYG higher of the two (probably 2nd or 3rd) but I also didn't listen to them side by side much.  Let me give them another listen.

...Alright, yeah, of those two it's definitely CYG of me.  I recognize Xandria as technically proficient, I think the outfits are rad, but it just doesn't hook me that much for some reason.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2017, 04:28:16 AM »
Well hmm...2NE1 is one of the three biggest K-pop bands...they broke up, and this is their breaking up song.  Has a fair bit of relevance to me.  But it's also competing with like...Japanese Chicken Yodelling...I dunno, this is hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yxmCqikFss
Lady Antebellum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AWwn-QuDQM
Y'akoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEkLHC7l25w
2NE1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeqyLBHkCQ
Lily Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UIEbtFB3lQ
Hasley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miomuSGoPzI
schmoyoho ft Takeo Ischi

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2017, 11:08:12 AM »
Lady Antebellum - Film clip opens and I thought they were doing a horror movie.  It quickly turned into a Pop Country track.  So I guess I was right, but just on a personal level.
"The way you move to the bass" in a pop country track.  Which is to say bass line like someone punching pillows.  Go away Pop Country, stop pretending to be EDM.  You don't do nearly enough ecstasy to be house music.

Y'akoto - Okay this is very up my alley.  It is simple.  It is all right there on the page.  ALso "Fool me twice, shame on me too" now that is a twist on a stock phrase that I love.  It is simple, speaks volumes and is an idiom that I could try and stick to.

2NE1 - Okay noting that I have 0 emotional investment in this which should probably really be taken into account with this one.  Its okay.  The opening bars really had my brain expecting it to be a Jojo meme.

Lily Allen - I like Lilly Allen's delivery usually.  This is no exception, but its a nice cover and timing is obviously a big deal.  So... its politically me.  It is by an artist I like.  I can see not picking it, but I think I probably have to give it my nod.

Hasley - So there was a Halsey song I hadn't heard in the Hottest 100 that I was really amazed by and I was hoping it was that.  It turns out it is a Beiber cover (which context changes pretty completely), so... I went in hoping for this and then it wasn't, which isn't fair, but eh, this isn't as good as other stuff.

schmoyoho ft Takeo Ischi - It is fun but I don't understand what is going on and why?  I do like yodelling a lot though.

Okay after sitting for a while and letting it all just settle... I am too burned out this week on Trump to vote for even a good protest song.  I just... can't right now.  So the song that makes me feel good first.

Y'akoto > Lily > schmoyoho > 2NE1 > Hasley > Lady Antebellum

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »
Lady Antebellum - Genre bias in full effect here, I'm afraid.  Pop country does very little for me at the best of times, and nothing here stands out to me.  Except the opening and ending, which are not really part of the song, and made me hope it was going to do something special, which it didn't.

Y'akoto - I think the video for this is very nice, goes really well with the song!  Song itself... eh, it's a little understated for my taste, doesn't quite click.  I can see it being put together very well, just when a song is so minimal it has to hit very precirsely, and doesn't quite get the sweet spot for me.  I can really see where Grefter is coming from, but at the same time, I am not there myself.

2NE1 - Hmmmm.  Actually my thoughts on this are pretty much the exact same as the previous track, except swap "Grefter" with "Kaitlyn"...  Really good video, good production, but so minimal that it aims for a very specific landing pad that I can see in the distance but do not own.  The intro shot with the candles really stuck with me though.

Lily Allen - Good cover, good delivery.  Audio is fine but obviously overwhelmed by the video and messaging.  So the video... my first reaction after finishing it is a slight negative, I think it's not quite as good as it could be.  Too much emphasis in the shots on calling out Trump specifically.  More focus on the "Stop Racism" type of signs instead of the "Stop Trump" ones would have gone a long way for me.  The man himself is already very memorably indicted by "Fags Hate Trump" and "This Pussy Grabs Back!"... and even if he is somehow summarily impeached, it is clear that the underlying issues are still going to be boiling, but this vid on it will lose some relevance.  Will let this sit for a few and see how I feel.

Hasley - This was okay.  Feels like I should like it a little more than I do... I guess there is a bit of tonal mismatch between the music and lyrics.  The composition is very dark, but the lyrics are quite bright.  If she's really not afraid or ashamed anymore, why doesn't the Inception bass let up?  The instruments sound kind of compressed, like a TV commercial, compared to the vocals.  That all sounds awfully negative but I still didn't dislike it...

schmoyoho - 11/10 perfection.  Hilarious, dramatic, and also really well performed and nice to listen to.  Every corner of this is polished to perfection.  Totally lost it when the second verse delivered on the word they held back the first time.  This is just the best possible incarnation of itself that it could be, and that's what I like to look for in these, so...

What a week.  I'm glad to have finished on Chicken Attack, if that wasn't here I wouldn't know what to do.  I guess Lily Allen takes second, but could def consider any arrangement of the middle four.

Schmoyoho > Lily Allen > Hasley >= 2NE1 >= Y'akoto > Lady Antebellum

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2017, 06:08:21 AM »
Well...I'm not sure about the ordering of the rest of them, but Lady Antebellum gets trashed.  (I think 6th from all three of us.  I picked it for 6th over Little Mix for a bit more genre variety, but I don't think Little Mix would have gone places either).

1st places are...

2NE1 from me.  (4th from Alex, 4th from Grefter)

Chicken Attack (close 2nd from me, 3rd from Grefter)

Y'Akoto (5th from me, 5th from Alex)

Also worth mentioning is Lily Allen (2nd from Grefter and Alex, drifted down to 4th from me as Hasley just slowly climbed the ladder the more I listened to it).

Man...if I don't pick 2NE1, then this entire series will be run without picking them.  But...on the other hand, it's pretty clear that Chicken Attack is the right pick for the week, and if I didn't pick it this week, I'd probably want to pick it next week anyway cause that's just a song that I really should share.  I guess the thing to do is pick Chicken Attack this week, and then potentially circle back to 2NE1 next week depending on competition.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2017, 04:54:23 AM »
None of these are super standing out to me; I am thinking about grabbing one from last week.  We'll see what everyone else thinks though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHmnNeSXGM
Klang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORu4jcidXno
Camille and Kennerly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e2TTqnRYvw
Chrome Molly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-eqapU1wf8
Cascada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsOdQKQduW0
Crazy Ex Girlfriend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDGw_VRqzAk
Betsy

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2017, 07:38:25 PM »
Klang - Pretty nice, I am a sucker for a good beat with a clear melody attached and that's what we've got here.  Simple and not spectacular but all around competent.

Camille and Kennerly - Neat idea let down by execution.  There were quite a few times where I could hear notes from the original song get dropped, mistimed, or double hit with an adjacent string, and the lingering reverb messes with the chords, especially in the second half.  It's impressive they did this well with it, harps are hard, but play mistakes in a cover are a dealbreaker for me.

Chrome Molly - Pretty average metal song, okay but nothing special.  I like the instruments, especially the solos, but don't like the vocals as much.  Lead singer's voice needs to be more prominent (over the guitar, rather than under it) and not have the "raspy old man in a garage" vibe.

Cascada - Synthpop, exists, doesn't stand out.  Kind of bored me.  Can't find much else to say.

Crazy Ex Girlfriend - Is okay.  Disney musical style parody, but not very funny, and I don't watch the show so I don't get any of the drama.  So... really just has the style gimmick going for it.  Another in the "nice to listen to but wouldn't feature" pile.

Betsy - Existed, again didn't stand out or capture my interest.

Eh.  Klang > Chrome Molly > Crazy Ex > Betsy > Cascada > Harptwins... but none of this is really great.  Not a standout group. 

Sounds like we're probably going back to 2NE1?  That didn't make a huge impression on me either, but as a band breakup song, I lacked context for it - never really heard of them before.  But clearly Kaitlyn's a big fan, and just seeing that intrigues me.  So, yeah, I'd love a column talking about the group and maybe linking to some of their big hits as well?

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2017, 05:42:27 AM »
I mean, as far as jumping back to last week, there's also Lilly Allen as an option, which, does have a higher overall rating between the three of us (adds up to 8, 2NE1's aggregate adds up to 9).  It is fair to say that 2NE1's song actually has a kinda weak video (mostly just old clips that don't match well with the song)--I hadn't really noticed that when listening to the audio.

Two weeks ago the notable snubs were Xandria and Battle Beast.

Three weeks ago the very obvious snub is random David Bowie (where...I basically broke with advice).

As far as linking to a bunch of 2NE1 videos...there's one that's just totally obvious, which I've probably linked you before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7_lSP8Vc3o

But like...after that I get less sure what to link.  The song that's probably my second favourite from them was one of CL's solo pieces, and I also recognize it's probably not objectively good, but really campy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LP4foN3Xs4

EDIT, ok, I lied, there's a third one I really liked in Hate You https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5jyYD2WEw
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:52:12 AM by metroid composite »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2017, 10:46:22 AM »
Bowie would be good as well.  Lily Allen... I don't even know anymore, suddenly I'm in ground zero for protestland and wanting to get away from that with music. 

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2017, 04:47:34 AM »
Alright, this week's finalists.  Honestly not sure what to pick here.  Mixture of stuff with personal significance (a remix of Red Dead Redemtion...and I'm working on RDR2) and stuff that's just catchy music to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2PKGZCX3OE
J.None

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVpF-5sI_Uw
liltommy J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtA44m2vOSU
Falconshield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKJir0rJwyk
Forever Still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVGIDmKOgOQ
Cross Gene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkkr-HhnwS8
M.I.A

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2017, 12:20:42 PM »
J.None - Before 2 minutes I was going to say this sounds nice, but has a bland video and just doesn't stand out to me.  After 2 minutes it gets a lot better though!  But... probably not better enough to change the overall evaluation from "sounds nice, but."

liltommyj - Yeah, this is quite well made!  Not flawless, the middle sections struggle a bit and the whole production is very game remix, but still, solid A- at worst, a fun romp, and memorable just due to its nature.  Toss in the personal significance and we have a very nice package, could totally pick this.

Falconshield - Hmmm, well this provides a nice contrast to liltommyj, if an unfavorable one?  Even though the production is better on this, the video and narrative are much less memorable.  The lyrics aren't going to make any sense to people who aren't familiar with all the gaming references, and honestly still seem weak to me even though I understand them all.  It's just one reference after another, with not much actually holding them together, and then the song just abruptly ends and leaves me wondering what the point was.  Even with all this, it's certainly far from terrible, but to me it was most memorable for establishing what liltommyj did right.  Even though I haven't personally played a minute of RDR, I easily grasped what that song was about and was entertained, whereas this I can't praise much beyond "reasonable rapping skills."

Forever Still - At 0:26 and some later points in the song there's some harsh static burst, maybe that's just me?  Aside from that, solid genre song, gets in, does its thing, gets out.  Not particularly exciting, but catchy enough that I gave it a couple loops.

Cross Gene - Huuuh.  Well.  This is the exact opposite of the "pleasant but bland" selections; I found it very memorable, and interesting, but didn't enjoy it!  There are several different components all going on in sequence: a rap part, a pop part, an instrumental interlude, several rather graphic "black" video sections and then a "white" section with a bunch of kpop boys in heaven...?  The characters are all the band members, I guess?  I didn't feel like any of these sections worked together particularly well, though.  There were occasional individual moments that worked for me, but as a whole nothing seemed to come together.  Left me kind of sad, since normally this sort of striking imagery would very much be my thing, but in this case I left feeling like it didn't do enough to offset or justify the squick factor.

M.I.A. - So I figured out the issue with some of these videos causing youtube to lock up and not display the video - apparently it's some adblocker interference code google's trying to run.  It you have Adblock Plus for Firefox enabled and go to certain "trending" videos with forced ads in front, it breaks and displays a black screen, both there and on any further videos you click from that page.  So... kind of a point against featuring something that might break for people, although it has nothing to do with the song itself.  Unfortunate.  ANYWAY!  Once I got it working, it was... okay.  Didn't like it quite as much as other M.I.A. pieces (Borders in particular).  Part of that might be a growing general aversion to politics in fun song time.  Part of it is the minimalism - this is too minimal for me, I wanted a bit more music.  She is the Saddam though and that's cool.

Interesting week, strengths and weaknesses all around and I can see totally different hit/miss takes on these.  Overall I'm on liltommyj here, it's good and fun, does a lot of things right and not much very wrong, and has the personal relevance factor going for it.

liltommyj > Forever Still > Cross Gene > J.None > Falconshield > MIA

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2017, 02:04:17 PM »
J.None - I can't tell if there is more than just audio mixing on the bass line or if it is actually has effects layered through, but I would rather hear it without even the different mixing of levels.  A capella is always at its strongest as a group singing in harmonies together.  Tooling with it in post production or just even in the live audio mix kind of is defeating the purpose of it?  Like yeah its still difficult and takes a talent, but I just don't get the point of involving other people when at that point you could get yourself a synthisizer and work with like 2 other people at most to cover range you can't reach.

liltommy J - Song didn't do much for me.  Reminded me that like everyone in the game has better facial hair than John Marsden.

Falconshield - Flow is alright, but rhymes are put together without any intent other than rhymes and reference, not tons of sense made other than vague feelings of call out or pump up lines.

Forever Still - This is alright.  I don't know what there is to say about it, its just alright at what it is.

Cross Gene - Song I can't speak for, but the film clip appears to be full of pretty vampire boys being killed by other pretty vampire boys, they go to heaven and then come back to life as pretty zombie vampire boys or something.

M.I.A - I don't... really have tons to say about this either other than that M.I.A. is predictably good like always.  In a week of stuff that to me at least is kind of just okayish, M.I.A. is going to pretty much always be on top of that.  I should probably really remember what the long flowing cloth is calling out to, but it is just reminding me of Priscilla Queen of the Desert.