Author Topic: Song selection topic for "Kaitlyn's Song of the Week"  (Read 33150 times)

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
Re: Song selection topic for "Kaitlyn's Song of the Week"
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »
Quintino & NERVO - Is okay, nothing outstanding, I liked it better than Halestorm but that's about it.

PSY (Luv It) - Yeah, I much prefer this to the other PSY.  Fresh beats, good outfits, fun journey.   Does it go to the top... maybe.  It goes above MKR for me.  Think it's still slightly below Icon/Tinie for me, but I could definitely buy it as a pick.  A couple days time has made me a bit more bearish on MKR as well, probably move that under Unleash now.

Icon for Hire > Tinie Tempah >= PSY (Luv It) > Unleash the Archers > MKR > PSY (Fresh) > Quintino > Halestorm

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
Only change for me is Psy #2 coming in at 2.  It has a better video than Unleash the Archers, but I really like Unleash the Archers.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2017, 09:08:44 PM »
Hm, kay, Unleash the Archers was a #1 for me as well, so with two #1s it's that.

Icon For Hire was a little all over the map; originally had it very high on the list, but sunk on repeat listenings, squeezed in at 6th for me.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2017, 04:29:59 AM »
So...it should be noted the DNCE song has another music video (that got posted the week that the forums weren't working).  So...if we want to pick that song, we have two videos to choose from (I don't watch the videos, but I suspect the older video might be better because dogs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWn7PYm-W90
Lindsey Stirling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJhIxqz3_N0
Boy Pierce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzZWXrlDj-A
DNCE
(dog version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7it_g_gAY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL_mTKWwRto
hitchiker x taeyong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqdYHnulCms
In This Moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNRokMpmyCo
Lacuna Coil

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
This week's theme is "I listened to Lindsey Stirling first and everything else got a quick "is this better than Lindsey Stirling" test"

L-shizzle the Stirizzle - A staple.  Good song, good video.  Sasuga Stirling.  Only qualms are the super high pitch vocal breaking my immersion, and that it's a little bare and we're all (hopefully) familiar with LS as a known quantity.  But she hasn't actually been featured since... Sept. 2015?!  Okay then, remove that qualm.

Boy Pierce - This is good too, more of an artist demo than a song of the week though.  Would be fine in a weaker week, but this week I dismissed it early as "no video and not as good as LS."

DNCE - Good song.  Nicki's rap is okay, not quite as good as Boy Pierce's.  The dog video is WAY better, it also adds some nice pun meanings to the lyrics.  2mainstream4me though and not as good as LS.

hitchiker x taeyong - "Ah, Taeyeon, here's the week's dose of kpop, I wonder if this will be more on the cute and sweet side or - oh.  TaeYONG.  Glory to the hypnotoad."  Uhhh this was cool and I really like it, however I think I like it way more than most people would, and even I am not sure I would put it above LS.

In This Moment - Ok, this actually does challenge LS for me.  Similar in quality and build, different take on the tone.  Good music, good video, very resonant.

Lacuna Coil - Also good.  Not quite as good on the music as I'd like to keep up with the video though.  Bit below In This Moment on the close comparison, and not as good as LS.

This list owns, I liked every single thing, and everything except maybe taeyong is something easily above my "happy if this wins a week" quality threshold.  Even taeyong, *I* would be happy with, but probably wouldn't recommend.  Anyway, ITM appealed to me a bit more than LS, but I would expect Lindsey to clean up with the consensus.  All very close, easy defer if Gref/Kaitlyn/others have some strong opinions.

In This Moment > Lindsey Stirling > Lacuna Coil > hitchiker x taeyong > Boy Pierce > DNCE

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2017, 10:08:28 AM »
L-Steez - I dig this more than some of the other recent stuff.  It feels less base line for her stuff and trying something new again.  I did the same as Alex, this was a bench mark.

Boy Pierce - Well it isn't a demo because it is his track for live shows.  But yeah I have been hitting Danny Brown this week, so the shifting beat and timing is nothing in the face of that.  Danny Brown tracks are way more fucked up than this with better flow.

DNCE - don't dig this as much.  Dog version I went in hoping for Gabe.  That was not Gabe.   Would vote for a Gabe track one day.

hitchiker x taeyong - okay on a single listen only I think I might dig this even more than Alex did.  Like, it is hot garbage, but the emphasis is on the hot.  It is like a bunch of synths in a washing machine and I love it.

In This Moment - Alexchan.  It is okay.  The music is fine, but you can say you dig it because it is Bloodborne by way of Resodent Evil 7 (or any of the tropes they quote).

Lacuna Coil - 90s as fuck.  I think I might throw it and Super a bone just because it is Aiel as shit.  A Lacuna coil called You Love Me Because I Hate You?  That is Aiel.txt right there

Lacuna Coil >= Hitchhiker x taeyong => LiStir > in this Moment > Boy Pierce > Dnce

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »
Lindsey Stirling actually barely made the top 6 for me this week.  Could have been picked if she did well with gref/alex, but no firsts from either.  Funny story, we've picked Lindsey Stirling a lot, but haven't picked her for over a year.  Might have just had a really strong album.

High picks for me were like In This Moment, DNCE, and hitchhiker x taeyoeng, with maybe Boy Pierce squeezing into the top 3 at then end on repeat listens.  DNCE and boy pierce are getting killed by gref/alex, so those are out.  Nobody has hitchhiker x taeyeong first.  This looks like In This Moment?

Lacuna Coil...was decent on a pure audio listen, but lower middle of the pack.  It's a piece I recognize is probably better with the video.  I should probably actually watch Lacuna Coil's video head to head with ITM.

EDIT: ok, watched both...yeah, Lacuna Coil probably had more impact on me with the full video, but mmm...might be pushing the threshold of stuff I want to share with family (graphic scenes of dead bodies, a man chaining the female protagonist down and strangling her, plenty of blood).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 05:53:29 PM by metroid composite »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2017, 05:00:47 AM »
Hmm...well this feels like slightly different genres than where the final 6 usually are; let's see how this goes--finalists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdsWDpnR0BQ
ZZ Ward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9-4xHVc7uk
Robin Schulz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMDfR_PJ7ss
Got7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcp3UWQOmM
CHON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDMdSc1K7sU
Coasts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P4kjROkn8I
Lindsey Stirling

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2017, 08:02:50 AM »
Turboing the reviews a bit because I already spent a lot of time doing up music stuff this week and my brain is overloaded.

ZZ Ward - Existed.  Was fine.  Didn't make much of an impression on me.

Robin Schulz - Song's in the above average tier.  Video's certainly interesting.  Hit the wrong notes to appeal to me.  Still a fairly strong contender.

Got7 - Good pun game and production.  Liked it.  Not super thrilling or standout but appealed more to me than Robin Schulz.

CHON - I was going to say this was a great song with a very cute dog until the dog peed (barely offscreen) on one of the guys.  Dunno why they thought that was a good idea to have in the video.  Aside from that one part though, it's really good.

Coasts - Bit too melodramatic for me.  You're a creeper dude, she doesn't owe you a relationship.

Lindsey Stirling - A good song.  Different composition from her usual, some parts I like better than typical LS style, others not.  But overall I liked Lost Girls quite a bit more, so that makes it difficult to place this too highly.

THankfully easy rank.

CHON > Got7 > Robin Schulz > Lindsey Stirling > ZZ Ward > Coasts

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2017, 04:31:21 PM »
Inclined to wait for Grefter on this one (Alex and I are somewhat split).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »
I didn't really watch the videos because I am doing it so late and multi tasking.

CHON > Lindsey Stirling > Robin Schulz >Got7  > ZZ Ward > Coasts

I did watch Robin Schulz while I was finalising the listing and that would probably bump it up above the rest WITHOUT having watched them, but that's not really fair on Lindsey Stirling who is the competition (CHON is better either way).  Video clearly speaks to me more than Alex because broken relationships and What Can Change the Nature of a Man (7. Regret).

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2017, 05:08:04 AM »
Alright, let me briefly make a comment on the following.  I can see the criticisms of one of these songs "it doesn't differ enough from Pirates of the Caribbean", but I will just note, having put pirates on my playlist before, the actual OST of Pirates of the Caribbean has like...long stretches of no music, or just flat "tension" sounds.  Just making a cover that's listenable requires significant re-arrangement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK8eQWgGkKk
Scooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th4Czv1j3F8
Alestorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsc01-0V_QU
Mary Lambert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSA96NrNb3A
331erock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ophOW8ckMpc
Take That

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThLEuFaAU3c
Metallica

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »
Scooter - So Eminem sent a track 20 years back in time huh.  This is simple and owns it.  I like it, but it's not super awe inspiring or anything.

Alestorm - Musically not much to it, but lyrics are Way more amusing to me than they should be.  Not sure general audiences will feel the same, but hey, if it made MC's finals list...

Mary Lambert - Another in the simple and decent category.  Was okay.

331erock - Yeah, I did look up some Pirates soundtrack stuff a while back and had the exact experience MC described, it wasn't listenable.  So this is pretty cool, good arrangement!  Not sure Pirates benefits from going to this instrumentation though.  Ends up around the same as the rest... this'll be hard.

Take That - Ok, found the winner.  Song's a bit more my speed, and the video's amazing.  Great stuff.

Metallica - Also good, but takes 1:30 to even start up and the payoff is not as great as I'd like for the time investment.

Take That is a clear leader for me, the rest are all around the same range, no terribly strong opinions.  They're all good.

Take That > Alestorm > Scooter > Mary Lambert > 331erock > Metallica

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 02, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »
I think I am way harsher this week than Alex is.

Scooter - I think of something very different when I read Bora! Bora! Bora! because of Pluto.  Party track that eh.  Okay.

Alestorm - I am tempted to vote for this just because I want to see you try and write a post about it.  I swear way too much, so of course I dig a cussing chorus.

Mary Lambert - A) Everyone in this film clip is my fucking hero.  B) Musically it is pretty straight modern post Taylor Swift/Miley Cirus pop.   It cribs from pop country and faces more on the pop side of things.  The film clip aesthetic is great and everyone's stage names are great.  The aesthetic doesn't really mesh with the clip though.  I want it in something camp 80s style like Far Cry Blood Dragon ish or more like the intro to http://neoscum.libsyn.com/kannabis-jak]Neoscum (bias being I am literally listening to Neoscum right before I started doing this).

331erock - Clearly the inferior pirate rock this week.  I also tend not to like Disney songs and yes this is still a very Disney song.

Take That - Hey Adult Contemporary! It is Okay!  Adult Contemporary is the definition of It is Okay!  I don't understand why everything is a horror film.  You guys aren't Michael Jackson and he did this with Thriller, not ABC.

Metallica - This is a very Metallica Metallica song.  Long riff heavy rolling guitar intro that goes on a bit too long into a solo.  I was going to make a comparison to One and then kind of dismiss it as not really going to be as big a thing One (since One is a Johnny Got His Gun style story of someone wishing they would die but are physically incapable of doing it and can't communicate).  Checking the lyrics to be sure?  I guess you could frame it as a sequel when death does come?  But there is a lot less substance to it.  It is solid like everything on Hardwired... but not REALLY noteworthy in their catalogue other than Metallica sounding like themselves again 20 some years later.

I dig Kirk Hammet's White Zombie guitar too.

Alestorm > Metallica > Scooter > Mary Lambert > Take That > 331erock
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:59:27 AM by Grefter »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
So yeah, 331Erock and Alestorm were back and forth for my #1.

Funny story, but Alestorm wasn't actually that high this week (4th or 5th) until Trump pulled out of Paris.  Then I couldn't stop listening to it.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 06, 2017, 05:44:36 AM »
I thought this week was going to go by with just crickets (no likes or replies on twitter, no replies to my email) but then I got this:

"Considering its words, this song has a very lively and lilting tune.
-Mom"

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »
Rae Morris - Pretty good!  All typical artsong stuff, but the arrangement clicks for me more than most of its type. 

Caleb Hyles - I am a fan of these folks and saw this as soon as it went up.  Good cover, strong work.  They bring a constant energy to it, which fits the source, but might come off as flat to people who don't know it (the singing might be a bit hard to understand too.)  That's the only complaints I have here. 

Tay Zonday - Didn't click as well for me as his other stuff.  The super weird vibe he's going for here is really hit or miss, for me it's a miss.  A slightly different arrangement might be a hit but I couldn't say why other than gut reaction.

FTisland - 2 minutes in I was bored, almost clicked through the rest of it and wrote it off as a maudlin piano thing, then the band finally kicked in.  Back half definitely redeems it and pays off the intro... not completely but ends up above average.

Mandy Harvey - Hm well.  Torn on this.  The song in a vacuum is nothing to write home about.  The context is cool, and supporting deaf musicians and diverse talents in the arts is great!  ... But on the other hand the corporate context is a little less cool.  Like... this is literally a clickbait clip that asks to be shared on social media and flashes big facebook and twitter symbols right after she finishes.  Maybe that only bothers me, idk. 

Captain SKA - Mmm.  I like that it's direct in the messaging here, but it could be more clear about what exactly she's lying about.  I'm not sure if this is about anything in particular, even though I thought I've been catching the news on the election.  So, eh.

This is just going on personal reaction and not considering political contexts; if you want to feature Mandy Harvey or Captain SKA that's very understandable!

Rae Morris > Caleb Hyles > FTisland > Mandy Harvey > Captain SKA > Tay Zonday

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »
Grefter?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2017, 12:25:51 AM »
Fell down an MMO hole.

Mandy Harvey > Rae Morris > Tay Zonday > Caleb Hyles > FTisland >   Captain SKA.

General thoughts, Mandy Harvey is a style I would listen to without the context.  Idol shows does hurt it, but I obviously have a soft spot for people coping with an impairment.  One Punch Man opening song is good.  Captain asks would rather much higher before the election (even though hung parliament is better result than I expected).  Tay Zonday is pretty musically weak, but I dig the theme and the one man band thing.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2017, 06:53:21 AM »
Hmm...ok, so my top spot alternated between Caleb Hyles and Tay Zonday.

Rae Morris is 1st from Alex, 2nd from Grefter, probably around 4th or 5th from me?  Don't really remember. (total 7 or 8)

Mandy Harvey is 1st from Grefter, 4th from Alex, fluctuated a bunch for me (as high as 1st, probably finished 3rd) (total 8)

Tay Zonday was 6th from Alex, so that's probably out (1st or 2nd from me, 3rd from Grefter) (total 10-11)

Caleb Hyles was 1st or 2nd from me, 2nd from Alex, 4th from Grefter. (total 7-8)

Hmm...with just Alex responding it was looking like Caleb Hyles (which was like...2nd from both of us).  Adding in Grefter...looks closer to a three-way tie.

I think I lean Mandy Harvey of the three just because I think my family will like it.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2017, 04:38:41 AM »
Think this is probably an above average week, at least from my perspective; some of these might not be to Gref/Alex's taste (there is a country song...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw8B1q1tKgs
Little Mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeM8NkLwhdU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8FAJXPBdOg
Acapella Science

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUendT_dGks
nigahiga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moeux7r2izg
Tune-up (튠업)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZKXkD6EgBk
Selena Gomez

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 16, 2017, 09:39:25 PM »
Little Mix - Overall feeling was "this existed" except for Stormzy's segment.  Just didn't make much impression.

M0 - Liked it better than Little Mix, was interesting sometimes.  Still got the "1 minute after the song ended, I couldn't remember anything about it" beat though.

Acapella Science - Cool idea, I approve of science songs.  I don't care for the source track though, so this being a straight cover musically wound up working against it.  (Or, science lyrics without overt humor weren't enough to save it, whichever way you want to look at it.)

nigahiga - Turns out I'm actually fine with country when it isn't slathered in glorification of rural white evangelical luddite american south culture.  So this was nice and refreshing!  Not socks-blowing, pretty basic musically and relies on the lyrics for content, but hey I liked the content so... pretty good.  The wub parody section was particularly nice.  Guy's got a good voice.

Tune-Up - ... This is even better though.  Blend of styles that all mesh together well and feel like a single song?  I am there.  Ending's a little weak but yeah this was a fun ride.

Selena Gomez - And back to not making much impression.  This one I can remember, but barely existed in the first place.

Yeah, the M0/Selena Gomez/Little Mix pack is definitely a style that clicks better with MC than me, though I didn't dislike anything.   

Tune-Up > nigahiga > M0 > Selena Gomez > Acapella Science > Little Mix

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2017, 04:33:17 PM »
We must get our shovels, and dig the Grefters out of the MMO holes!  For the glory of Communism!

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2017, 03:55:52 PM »
Or not.  Well, acapella science was my #1, but niahiga was my #2, so going with that.  (Quick, pick the country song while Grefter's not looking!)