Register

Author Topic: 2018 games in review  (Read 1541 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
2018 games in review
« on: December 31, 2018, 03:44:55 PM »
2018!  Games!  Stuff!  Things!

Previous years: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, 2016, 2017.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: 2018 games in review
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 03:53:12 PM »
12. Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight (PS4, 2018)

A few good solid SLink scenes buoy this up a bit, but in the end the Persona Dancing series is not what I want from my rhythm games on a pure gameplay level, like it’s not near so good as Theatrhythm, and while pulling together dancier remixes is thematically appropriate they miss a chunk of the appeal of this sorta game.  I mean… like I kinda wanna play some of the straight up Persona 3 music?  I know P3’s OST is held back by its abysmal main battle theme in actual practice but like that’s already one of the four unaltered tracks in the base game!
Also dammit how dare you make me spend money to get Labby.  Bastards one and all.

5/10

11. Dragon Quest IX (DS, 2009)

DQIX reminds me most of Golden Sun.  Well, that’s unfair, it’s trying really hard to be the Dragon Questiest game to Dragon Quest.  But the end result is a game with exactly one standout quality I can remember without rereading stuff I wrote about it months ago, a distinction it shares with Golden Sun: it is an aggressively adequate game and no more.  It’s fine.  It has no particular outstanding issues, once or twice it has a solid idea or effective scene, I don’t regret playing it.  It just never aspires to more than that, and the only thing putting it ahead of GS is it’s been a couple years since I played a Dragon Quest game.  Yeah that’s about all I got that’s not examining the implications of “what’s a Dragon Quest game”.

6/10

10. Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch, 2017)

Disgaea 5, at long last, completes the circle for Disgaea.  A series with its roots in savage mockery of anime, from its superficial genre conventions to the foundational bedrocks of heroism and friendship, celebrating the weird and the way surface-level violence could mask complex and deeply felt feelings, Disgaea 5 at last is just a cliché anime ass anime.  It is a third rate shonen knockoff, to the point I can’t even tell you which show it’s knocking off because it’s too bland to stand out enough.  If they omitted all dialog from the game I think it would actually be an improvement, because the sprites and the acting paces the game puts them through communicate far more emotional and depth than the script does, to say nothing of how goddamn obvious it is the voice cast does nooooooot caaaaaaaareeeee.  And it ain’t a lack of talent, among other standouts this cast includes both Kira Buckland and Kyle McCarley, otherwise known as the cast of NieR Automata.  Doubly damning, it’s still a game that was extremely playable, I had plenty of fun storming through the game with the bountiful past-game cameos of the DLC.  But good lord it doesn’t get that it’s a Disgaea game.

6/10

9. Super Metroid (SNES, 1994 (WiiU VC))

I’m not sure what I can add for Super Metroid that I didn’t say at the time, really.  It’s certainly an interesting playthrough, but between showing its age in the margins and the Castlevania side generally playing to my sensibilities better it’s not something I was SUPER engaged by.  It does a really good job of establishing a few set pieces, and when it really embraces them to lean into its Alien inspirations it’s amazing how effective that can still be when the protagonist is a verifiable badass.

6/10

8. Transistor (Switch, 2018)

In its first two games at least, Supergiant seems to have a minor preoccupation with the nature of player agency, and in particular nudging the player to realize that it doesn’t exist.  Transistor is much more explicit about this, and that’s probably the biggest reason I don’t think it quite works as well (playing both in such close succession probably didn’t help).  That the main character’s quest is futile, somewhat obviously so, in a game so thoroughly tying itself to breaking down the illusion of choice… I dunno, it gives things a sort of hopeless feeling I can’t really embrace.  I also feel like the aesthetic doesn’t really pop very well, so while the way they fill every single margin of the game with Red’s character and it’s rather brilliant, it just lacks the punch that should give it somehow.  I’m not sure if I’m explaining it well, or even if that’s actually how I feel?  But it’s my best approximation.

7/10

7. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch, 2018)

So funny story I’ve never played Castlevania III?  But apparently this is basically Castlevania III with better character balance and more modes built in.  So probably I could fix that but on the other hand I have SO MANY games and already did my aging classic for the year dangit.  In any event the music and style of this definitely get me hopeful for the bull Bloodstained game.  The two final bosses are SO GOOD y’all.

7/10

6. Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS, 2015)

It was perhaps inevitable that Bravely Second would disappoint.  The precise conditions Bravely Default entered the world in are hard to replicate.  And in that light I don’t want to be too hard on it: the new classes are cute, the core flaws of Default are well dealt with, and there’s a solid core of theme and character dynamics everything is bound to.  The rest of the game shows so much visible strain of being a sequel to a game incredibly not meant to be sequelized, and while they *eventually* do interesting things with the new villains they take their sweet ass time getting to it.  Pacing issues in new and exciting ways!

7/10

5. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser’s Minions (3DS, 2017)

So my history with this game is weird to me.  Long ago, I made a snap decision between this and Fire Emblem, and despite having really liked SMRPG I went with FE7.  And then I tried to play it and just oof, those GBA controls get tedious.  But this rebalanced game is pretty good!  The non-sequitor humor doesn’t hold up as well as it could since I’d seen around half of it before on the GBA version, but still, pretty good.

7/10

4. Bastion (Switch, 2018

Ahh, okay, I dunno what all to say about this that’s not everything *everyone* says about this goddamned game.  That narration!  It is so bright and vivid and ALIVE (another utterly key area it dominates Transistor).  The way the narration and the gameplay blend to provide backstory is something I’m particularly fond of, like aside from the two vocal songs it’s pretty much why it’s here.  The Kid is a bit underdeveloped, and shoot this game would be sorta miserable without that free retry button, but yeah.  Sorta sad I saw a video of that one scene still.

7/10

3. DeltaRune Chapter 1 (PC, 2018)

This is a game I immediately had to run out and type like 2000 words babbling about theorizing just to get it out of my brain where it could process.  And to some degree like… y’know it’s a 2 hour game that’s clearly part of a larger project (or if that never happens, invokes that feel). So that’s going to be a big part of it obviously!  But there’s definitely a self-contained game here that’s really quite charming and while not Undertale does distinguish itself well.  Some parts that may not settle well for everyone but even still I kinda love Susie’s arc?  And the Alice thing is almost always fun.

8/10 I guess?  It feels weird to rate a demo (or demo-length) thing but.

2. Dragonball FighterZ (PS4, 2018)

So my favorite stretch of Dragonball Super is the Recruitment Arc leading up to the Tournament of Power.  It is TOTAL filler and all about just faffing about with the supporting cast and giving them all a chance to show off and highlight their fighting style.
FighterZ is an whole game of that.  I mean it is also the horniest on main I’ve ever seen Dragonball, like holy shit is there ANY other reason for Android 21 to be that?  I remain the suck at fighting games so not gonna comment there, but it’s just hella fun as a Dragonball thing and came out at a time I wanted more of that in my life and is a bit more of a complete experience than some of the other games here so sure, why not.

8/10

1. Celeste  (PS4, 2018)

Celeste is exactly a game I needed exactly when I played it.  When I first groked what it was doing my first impulse was to laugh at the timing of it all.  I actually haven’t played too many of this sort of precision platformer, so novelty might make a bit of difference in my appreciation.  But even without that… I dunno.  It does its thing so well, and even as I find its depiction of anxiety and depression is a bit muddled, the impact of them are spot on and so well integrated into the larger themes and presentation of the game it’s hard not to love it.

8/10

-------
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS, 2018)

A second run thought Radiant Historia only increased my appreciation of it, and there was only so far it could rise because it was already REALLY GOOD.  And in a way I may just be in a slightly different headspace in 2018 than in 2011, and a game with such overtly spiritual language around its main character and his role as savior of the world does in some ways speak more to me now than it did then.  But even while on paper I can’t say any character in this game except Stocke and maybe Heiss rise above the level “I like them okay sure”, like characterization and growth aren’t huge priorities for the secondary cast, I found on replay I was intensely looking forward to doing their personal quests and seeing those lean arcs do their rounds. 

And ultimately it’s just such a smart game, and so deftly avoids the writing holes so many other games fall into even now (Bravely Second is a fine example without even leaving this post!), and Stocke in particular manages to keep up with a bright player and keep things from bogging down or repeating themselves needlessly, it’s really rather impressive.

The remake swapping the music for Heiss’ sacrifice away from Red Locus was a weird ass move though.  Actually that’s the biggest issue with the new content, that ending was so perfect and it does lose something with the changes.  But eh, you’re also literally offered the option to turn them off at game start so y’know.

10/10  (but y’know this is also Radiant Historia except with more game grafted on, it doesn’t count against the other stuff)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 03:58:25 AM »
Listen, I'm old. I could die at any moment. This was easily my worst year ever as far as finishing games goes. My Dominion ranking also tanked, and I wasn't even able to compete in the big tournament this time. Taking care of a one year old, teaching four classes, and gaming: pick 1.5. You can't do much more. Still, I tried. I "finished" 5 games this year. I'm maybe 1/20 of the way through Dragon Quest XI and have had it since release day. I don't anticipate finishing it in 2019 either, sadly. I'm also playing Fire Emblem IV on my phone, which has been enjoyable. I'm telling you all this in case any of my opinions on these games seem outlandish. This is the state I'm in. Have pity on my soul.

5. Doki Doki Literature Club
I imagine if anyone really cared about my opinions on games, I would get some flack for this, but I just wasn't fazed by or impressed by this game at all. Maybe it's because I have seen the Shyamalan twist thing done so many times in recent games, or maybe this game actually did it as poorly as I suspect. Yeah, sorry if it's a spoiler to you that this game has a twist to it. It starts out as a generic dating sim with some hints that weird stuff is going on, then at some point weird things happen, and then honestly the rest of the game lost my interest. The dating sim portion of the game is the longest part, and it's extremely vapid and tired by design, but being by design doesn't excuse just how vapid it is. I didn't care about any character in this game. Didn't even take any glee in it when bad stuff started happening to them. If you want to play a better game in this vein and haven't played them already, try Undertale, Ghost Trick, 999, or Nier! I loved those games a lot, and they tickle the same buttons this one was attempting to. I'm probably less impressed with DDLC because games like those exist already. I can understand somebody who isn't normally exposed to postmodernist elements in games being impressed by this.

4. Dragon Quest Monsters
So, I tried for a while to get the 3DS remake with fan translation working and eventually had to give up on it; I ended up playing the original version instead. It's perhaps unfair to judge this game on the terms I'm going to, as I have to imagine the remake is more palatable. Conceptually, I'm very enamored with this game--it's monster collection with Dragon Quest gameplay, and seems to have much more depth than the Pokemon titles released around the same time. I liked the breeding system as well, and I think if I had played the game to completion, I might have really enjoyed it. It was also cool hearing all the world map themes from DQ I-VI in Game Boy sound format. The problem with this game is a simple design choice that made it nearly impossible for me to enjoy playing, and in retrospect, this is really funny. The developers placed "auto-battle" as the default battle option and made it so you have to go down two options to select attacks. Perhaps I'm fickle, but I really hate letting an AI control fights for me in a game like this. This problem is compounded by the controls being a bit finicky; I was consistently accidentally hitting the auto-battle command even when I didn't want to, which led to death in several boss fights. I had to start save stating every turn to try and avoid this. Eventually, I got sick of fighting the controls and quit playing. Stuff like this shows how important remapping is for games; I actually think Pokemon RBY is superior to this game almost strictly because you can move menu options around in battle. Not everyone plays games the same way, and it adds a lot of accessibility when you allow some control customization for players. If I can ever get the remake working on my PC, I will give it a go again some time. (Okay, that's idealistic)

3. Deltarune (demo)
It's more Undertale, and I'm not complaining. Come for the jokes, stay for the feels. I am less sold on the characters this time around, but to be fair, this is only the first chapter, and I am nonetheless intrigued about where it's going. Many questions filled my head when I finished this thing, and I think it will be a fantastic game when/if Fox finishes it. I have mixed feelings on the upgraded battle system. I want to see what gets done with it, and having multiple party members definitely opens the door for interesting new types of fights, but it also means more clicking through menus and downtime. We'll have to see. Either way, I totally think it's worth doing, and this is easily one of my most anticipated games for the future.

2. Nier: Automata
It was pretty good, but I must say I enjoyed the first game more despite popular consensus. If I had to put a finger on why, it was the cast. Weiss and Kaine added so much needed humor and pathos; the pods in Automata didn't accomplish the same for me. 9S was a cute character, but I never felt any attachment to 2B or A2, and enjoyed Pascal more than any of the main cast. I appreciate this game's ruminations on the meaning of existence (to be or not to be; cliche, but a clever reference. 9S being a reference to Sonnet 9 and A2 to Julius Caesar was also neat), particularly in a post-humanity context, but it's the kind of stuff that was more interesting to think about and read comments about after playing than it was to experience in-game. I do applaud Yoko Taro for attempting a game with this crazy of a concept and actually succeeding for the most part, but I don't think I would want to play or read another story with an all-android cast after this. I guess I might consider that praise for the game in some sense.

As for gameplay, the combat wasn't any better than OG Nier's (not that it was impressive or anything). Mostly it just involved mashing buttons. Using magic in Nier was more satisfying than anything in Automata. You don't get anything as cool as the Dark Hand spell in that game. After a while I turned on the option to let the game play itself because I was bored. Souls has really killed most other action games for me. There's nothing compelling about this type of gameplay to me anymore. I found myself rushing through the actual game to get to the next story scene.

Oh, and the soundtrack, while quite good, also didn't quite measure up to the original. Not that I'm complaining; it's still great stuff. I particularly liked the arcadey versions of songs that happened during hacking segments.

I am happy that this game got so much critical recognition, regardless of my feelings. Yoko Taro deserved to have some victories.

1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
This sure is Super Smash Bros. Better than Melee? Ehhh... we'll see, but I don't think so. I think it's the best one since Melee, though. Honestly, the best thing about it is that it's finally on a system that makes it possible to play when you'd like to. You can take the Switch anywhere and easily let friends join in or play it while waiting on your Frappucino. Too bad I have to hide the thing from my son...
(Incidentally, as of this posting, I still haven't unlocked all the characters. haha)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 06:04:33 AM »
7. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (2015)

A few words to describe this game are: unfocused, batshit, fashionable, unique.

There are so many things to say about this game. I have spilled a lot of ink on this game already, so I will just condense those thoughts down a bit.

The gameplay is enjoyable. The game is clearly designed with a set of units you ‘should’ use together ranged unit, melee unit, healer/support character. There are times when you can feel ‘stuck’ without a ranged unit in your party. I think a warning or reminder for that fact would have been nice, although you can just let the lead unit die in a pinch.  I found both the randoms and the bosses pretty pleasant and enjoyable, with a couple of exceptions. There are a couple of areas that massively spike in difficulty, but otherwise, the game’s level curve is on pace with your own, even if you don’t do a lot of extra content. Dishonorable mention for the final boss, which is a stupid trainwreck of stupidity. Why in the world did they think that two plot fights and no actual final boss was a good fucking idea?

The war story is… decent, and sometimes hits you with some emotional notes. The game hits the theme about war sucking hard, from the cadets being traumatized by battle to the moral debates behind the use of nuclear bombs from both sides. Neither side is portrayed as particularly great; feels a little WWI-esque in that way. I think the war documentary aspect of the game’s plot is one of the strengths of the game. The game is QUITE dark compared to most other FFs and definitely most games set in a school, which caught me off-guard. The endgame suffers from usual Fabula Nova Crystallis issues, with the totally insane, nonsensical plots at the end. All of the setting work in the game is basically blown up just for some weird apocalypse and it’s all very confusing.  The character work is quite poor, and most of it boils down to a combination of scene direction, scene choice, and general systemic underdevelopment of all of its characters. A few particularly irritating characters are Machina, Cinque (who is barely a character but wow), and Jack, who might have the worst voice acting this side of Star Ocean 2. Ace, who is ostensibly the main, disappears for large chunks of the game, and a lot of his random scenes in the school are just singing the weird song (that is blocked by the ps4 lolol).

The outfits are sweet. The music is good, but the music direction is horrible. Tracks play at very inappropriate times with sometimes awkward results. The towns are very bland; towns from each country pretty much all look the same, which is soooo lazy. The scenes always feel a little shorter than they should be and seem to cut out at random times. I know that it’s not a budget game because it looks pretty nice it’s made by Square-Enix with the FF name, but it feels like a budget game, which is never something you want to say. The RTS stuff is bad, and lastly, what the fuck is up with the directors randomly joining your party (it’s a choice, but you don’t know what the choice entails until all your PCs disappear!)?

Would I recommend it to others? Unless you are really in love with ARPG combat, fuck no. But it’s not the worst or anything.

6. Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (2016)

Spoilers obviously.

A general reminder that I am not the world’s biggest Ace Attorney fan at base. As time as gone on, I think the games have gotten slower than more convoluted in their mysteries, but have streamlined their mechanics to not piss me off as much. I like DD pretty well though, so let’s give the new one a shot.

Case 1 is a disaster. It is not very funny and its unique characters suck and it takes too long. Thumbs down.

Case 2 is decent (has Apollo and Athena together, the best one-two punch in the series) but the murder mystery is VERY VERY RIDICULOUS AND NO HUMAN WOULD EVER DO SOMETHING SO COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY STUPID. I really like the villain, but the mechanics of the murder/coverup require so much incompetence and Xanatos pileups that it takes a little bit of the fun out of solving it.

Case 3 is pretty much everything that Case 2 is but has Maya and Phoenix interplay instead, which is way less good. To be honest with you, after playing this case I’ve concluded that Phoenix is definitely played out to some extent and needs to be around either Apollo or Athena (preferably as the assistant not the lead). Rayfa is queen and is the only saving grace of this case. Also, WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THAT DAY 1 TRIAL DAY? It is pointless, it makes Nahyuta seem like a total fucking idiot, and Maya is somehow charged with murder again. That might be the low point of the series? Sigh. I’d have to think about it.

Case 4 is a treasure. It is FUNNY. Simon is WONDERFUL and SO MUCH BETTER than Nahyuta. Athena deserves all of the screentime and is wonderful too. Can we just have a whole game of Simon and Athena?

Case 5 is where the game unveils its plot. Dhurke is probably the best single-case character in the series; he’s endearing, complex, and funny. (Are you taking notes, Datz?) I loved the part with Apollo and him bonding in the cave and to be honest any time Dhurke was on screen, I was interested and happy. Sarge is also a treasure. Paul is quite funny as well but I feel like the actual murder mystery of the first half of that case falls a little flat. Still good, though.

Case 5 part 2… has the epic reveal, which i really liked, and it has Apollo being great, but I think the end of the plot is weak because of the questionably motives of a couple of the key players (namely Amara and Nahyuta) are botched.

The most interesting thing about this game is just how well it develops Apollo as a character. I’m not sure how I feel about trilogy Phoenix ( second trilogy Phoenix is worse, but I feel it is only fair to compare strength vs. strength) vs. trilogy Apollo but I really appreciate that Apollo feels like he has a more fleshed out backstory and you have a better sense of where he comes from. I don’t think he is quite as funny, but his serious stuff is better for sure. And I appreciate that Apollo does not feel like a Phoenix clone. I’m hoping Athena will play a larger role in the next game, too.

Overall, I feel like the game introduces a couple of really cool new important people (Rayfa and Dhurke). I think it does some good character work with Apollo. I think the Athena/Simon case, while totally irrelevant, is great. I think most parts involving Phoenix are mildly botched and that the new setting didn’t really ‘work’ because it is a police state but also very very bad at being a police state. Ooooh, scary, convicts seem to escape all of the time and you let convicted criminals perform investigations with the Crown Princess. Is this place just stupid or what? Just have a mock trial! Nahyuta, who should have been an integral part of the story, just falls flat. Oh well.

5. Pokemon Moon (2016)

I finished Pokemon Moon four days before the end of the year, so it’s the most recent entry onto this list.

The number one selling point of this game compared to the rest, in my view, is  the fact that the game offers a shake up in the structure/plot of the game which really needed. In particular, breaking away from the Gyms story structure really allows the game to feel more like a regular game storywise. The game manages to have a couple of half-decent characters with gasp actual character development (mostly Lillie and Lusamine). The game also seems to work toward having gender parity in its main cast. I didn’t really religiously keep track, but it feels very close to even. Wow, a distribution like real life, amazing! I really do appreciate the effort to have its world populated with a variety of people. There’s both Olivia/Kiewe (dark-skinned) and Hapu/Hala/Hau/Kukai (medium-skinned) who are clearly designed off native Hawaiians. Nice to see that this Hawaii knockoff isn’t just populated with generic racially white/Japanese anime characters, although there are some of those.

The game has interesting Pokemon selection without being too overwhelming and new and inspired Pokemon designs (Mimikyu is hilarious, and I love the donkey). The game is just a little more chill than some of the other Pokemons, which can bring a more relaxing experience…. However, comparing it to Pokemon X/Y, it is really noticeable just how few random Trainers are in the game compared to it, and the lack of Victory Road is an odd omission. I had trouble with Guzma, Lusamine, and the Flying E4, as well as the final boss. I really did miss the Victory Road and the random trainers along the way! Anyway, I think because Pokemon is fundamentally a gameplay game despite praising its plot (relatively at least), my opinion of the game is not as high as it is of some of the other games in the series.

Also, what the hell is up with the Trainer in cutscenes? Regardless of what is happening, she just stares blankly into the void with her cold, dead eyes. I’m not sure what you want to do with silent mains in 2018 (besides punching them into space), but having these awkward cutscenes is not it. Also, is it just me, or does the game really turn up the hero worship of the main character compared to the other games in the series?

Overall, it’s not as good as X/Y, but it’s pretty fine. Pokemon is Pokemon is Pokemon if you are in the mood for it.

4. Fire Emblem Warriors (2017)

Sitting in the middle of my rankings is Fire Emblem Warriors, the FE-spinoff Warriors game. I’m mostly going to compare it to Hyrule Warriors because that’s my frame of reference. I am both a big fan of FE and a big fan of HW, so I thought I’d give the game a go. The game is interesting. It adds a few mechanics which decrease the frustration of the game, such as having allies that follow orders and aren’t the worst at their job, character switching, and the ability to heal bases, which I think are all universally positive decisions and make the tactical part of the game better. Character switching in particular makes some maps way more fun and it allows you to use a larger variety of characters in a shorter length of time.

The other big advantage the game has is that, obviously, the fanservice is more up my alley, as a person who likes FE and not really Zelda. The history mode is a bit more consistent with its content as well. I also really like the voice acting in the game, which was not in HW.

The actual action combat is worse than HW. The bosses don’t feel as inspired or interesting, and a lot of the random minibosses are way easier. I miss the random monsters bosses (except The Imprisoned, fuck that guy). The game feels much more like a hack and slash than HW did. In HW, you have to actually plan out your combat and dodge things when attacks come at you. I feel like in this game you can mostly just smash through the bosses. The story of this game is VERY cookie cutter. I thought HW, while not story of the decade, tells a coherent narrative that makes sense and the original characters are … okay. This game’s original characters are really bad; they spend the first scene fighting over which one should take the throne because neither of them want it! Wow, what compelling characters. The only highlight of the original cast is Darios, who mostly just coasts on hammy voice acting.

Overall, I think its combat deficiencies relative to HW make it a less satisfying experience than HW, but it’s still an enjoyable game that I got many fun hours from it!

3. Celeste (2018)

This is the only platformer of the year? That seems extremely sad! Anyway, this game is pretty freaking great, with lots of cleverly designed stages, amazing platforming, and constantly throwing new and interesting stuff at you! I like all of the ‘themes’ of each of the stages (okay, maybe not the wind stage so much…) I feel like all of the levels are varying degrees of great but I think I like 3 the best because it punches you in the face over and over and hates you forever. Especially Oshiro, what a douchebag. I also really like 6, which has the evil you boss fight.  I don’t really have a lot to say about this game, it is good, you should play it, etc. Story is cute and fine and floats you through the game.

2. Octopath Traveller (2018)

Octopath is the most ‘traditional’ RPG I’ve played this year and I think it brings a lot of the genre’s strengths to the table. Like other JRPGs with job systems, the game is harking back to another time, but unlike some of the other nostalgia-based games, it doesn’t have any obvious game that it takes from, but rather has a strong influence from SaGa Frontier, Bravely Default, and even a smidgen of the better parts of Xenosaga. It takes a bit of a different approach than those games to its characters. Each of the PCs is one of the eight main characters, and you follow each person’s path individually, encountering the NPCs from each path independently, whereas most of the other games of its type have different sets of PCs on each quest. I know Live a Live ultimately ends up with the different paths converging, but not for more of the game. I think it’s nice because you have a consistent party that you build throughout the game rather than having these individual quests that you play a few hours and quit. Although each character’s quest only features them in the main plot, there is some character banter in each chapter, which at least reminds you that the other characters are still around. I’ve never seen a game that has the PCs interact with each other in the story of the game itself so little. The game does a decent job with its NPCs, so they largely fill the void, but it’s an interesting decision plotwise.

The game follows an patterned trajectory storywise. Each of the stories are different from one another, but most of them follow that certain pattern. Chapter 1 is your introduction to the motives of the main character and often introduces important NPCs to the character’s story. Chapter 2 is often the character ‘in their element’, as it were, solving a relatively simple problem to show off their strengths. Chapter 3 often throws a wrench into the character’s plans, either through adversity or often the character questioning their core world views. Chapter 4 is the conclusion of the story (to varying degrees of satisfaction from the lead at the end of said story), often with the character overcoming their greatest adversary. I’m not sure how I feel about just how methodical the game is structured. In general, I feel like Chapter 2 is generally the weakest part of the game writing-wise and I found myself less happy with the game during that point, but I think it hits its stride late with some character development and introduction of more serious stakes. The symmetry/rhythm of the paths brings a bit of a … poetry to the game? I don’t know.

Speaking of the PCs, one of the things that I really appreciated about the game is that none of its characters feel like a generic RPG main and none of them feel very similar to each other, either. Primrose is my favorite main; she is a very dark character and I like it. The stuff they do with her plot is heartbreaking but very effective. The rest of them vary from edgy but interesting (Therion) to generically heroic (Olberic, H’aanit), to adorable (Ophilia, Tressa), to hilarious and campy (Cyrus), to endearing and sweet (Alfyn). The NPCs in each path vary in quality; a few that I enjoyed include Simeon, Erhardt, Cordelia, Heathcote, Darius, Ogen, Lianna, and Suzanna. None of them are character of the decade by any stretch, but all fulfill their purpose in the plot. (Sadly for Tressa’s path, her NPCs are quite bad. Oh well.)

The job system has a bit of a different implementation than usual. Each of your characters are ‘stuck’ in a base job but are allowed to change into one other job. I think this is a nice way to limit cheese by spamming a particularly powerful job. I really like the skill system; they throw very powerful skills at you, but the game knows you have those tools and throws foes at you that can match (some of) the cheese. The game is definitely breakable if you so choose; I don’t really care about that so I didn’t.

The gameplay itself is pleasantly enjoyable; the break system adds a level of complexity to an otherwise pretty cookie cutter system. Timing your breaks carefully and managing your turns wisely can really help turn the tide in fights, and you do really feel like your strategies matter. Much like the plot, I think the game takes a while to get rolling gameplaywise, but ultimately there are some very enjoyable boss fights in Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 especially, and the horrifying superboss/final boss tops off the game with a bang. One of the game’s weaknesses gameplay is that its random encounters are definitely a little on the easy side overall, for all that some of them can be rather tricky. The random encounter rate is also too high, for all that Cyrus comes with a skill that halves the encounter rate!

The game’s art/music are both good as well, but not exceptional. I <3 Primrose’s art and theme music though~

Overall, I really enjoyed this game. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good at a lot of stuff.

1. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (2017)

A strategy RPG at #1? Alert the presses. This is not a game I expected to be in the top of my yearly games list just based on its description (I’ve never played a game with Rabbids, and I didn’t expect a Mario SRPG, for all that Mario has been in pretty much everything else so why not?), but Grefter convinced me to play “Mario XCOM”. Grefter is objectively the coolest human.

The gameplay is a variant on XCOM except more information, more polish, and less weird triggers for enemies. The game throws the formations out there and it’s your job to figure out what to do with them. The encounters feel very purposefully designed; there’s no ‘random’ encounters so everything you fight is designed for the specific terrain.

Why do I love this game’s gameplay so much? Here are my reasons!

The game tells you what your % to hit on every enemy is when you move your cursor to move to a location. In XCOM, i found this to be a rather challenging to figure out due to some strangeness with line of sight, but this game just gives you all of the information before you move, which is amazing! The character balance is reasonably good. I think Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Peach are the best PCs, but they don’t feel so overpowered that you couldn’t survive without them. The different types of enemies and how they interact is a delight. The game really forces you to use strategy in order to win and rewards you for optimal play, both by have multiple fights without healing, but also monetary rewards. The stage design is so good! I want to emphasize what a big deal this is in SRPGs. I actually think it might have the best (or at least the most consistent) stage design in any SRPG I’ve ever played. The skill system is really flexible without giving you everything you want too quickly. in fact, there were still things I wanted at the end of the game that I hadn’t gotten! I really like when skill systems actually let you make decisions instead of it being a matter of ‘well, halfway through the game I got all of the skills, I guess this skill system is over.”

I also want to say that the characters feel very unique and unlike any PCs from any other SRPG I’ve ever played. The dashing mechanic, where a character uses part of their move to hit an enemy and run away, is unlike anything I’ve seen in an SRPG before, and the jumping mechanic adds some weird movement mechanics that don’t exist in most games either. In general, your characters are quite mobile (but so are the enemies…). Rabbid Luigi in particular is quite unique; he has a move that attaches vampirism/draining for the rest of the turn on his Dash moves. He has low base damage with his regular weapon, but his dashing is very powerful and lets the rest of the party heal (This incidentally is why Rabbid Luigi is probably the best character in the game.) A nod toward Rabbid Mario as well, who has burst-effect dashing and all that entails. Good times, good times.

For non-gameplay things: The game is bright and colorful and cheerful and fills me with happiness. The animations and the expressions on the character’s faces when they move and attack are so nice! It has nice music and the classic Mario-style pleasant but not amazing graphics. Story is not great but has a few moments of good humor, both subtle and not-so-subtle. I love Rabbid Peach and her tendency to take selfies at completely horrible times, like when her enemies are falling to their deaths, as well as jokes about Bowser Jr.’s repressed daddy issues.

“I am a robot. I do not dream, but if I did, I would dream of intelligent machines taking over the world.”

Overall, if you like a nice gameplay-focused SRPG with great stage design and interesting and unusual PCs, this is the game for you. Its difficulty is a little uneven map-to-map, especially early, but that is a minor quibble! I should pick up the DLC at some point.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 07:53:28 AM »
My Top Games of 2018:

(Dis)Honorable Mention: Throne of Lies: The Online Game of Deceit  (you don't get a link.  Other links mostly to Steam, although many on the list are multiplatform.)

If you'd asked me in summer, this would have been my clear #1 game of the year - a great online Mafia implementation with lots of roles that worked together like clockwork, with an active and engaged community.  I spent about 700 hours playing it and many more watching it, promoted it, was a caster for a tournament, and was about to cast a second one when things went south.

A series of disastrous sweeping patches erased the old game, destroying community strategies and directly thumbing the nose at the competitive community.  The developers responded to widespread outcry by banning dissenters, doubling down on the worst changes, posting abusive and harassing responses to negative Steam reviews, and more, all the while never touching the parts of the game that actually needed work. 

The winners of both community tournaments have been banned, one from the official Discord, the other from playing the game entirely.  It's not clear who still works for the company other than the lead developer and his wife.  The second full time developer stormed off and hasn't been heard from throughout December.  The new balance dev that was supposed to respond to community feedback hasn't been heard from since late October... and there are questions as to whether they even existed in the first place or were a shell identity for the existing balance dev.  The latest blogpost ends on this juicy quote: "We wish we could offer something in exchange for an unbiased review (since there's annoyingly little incentive to do it, I know; I wish they added something for your time), but alas, terms of service prevents this! Call it Holiday Spirit?" 

2018 saw a lot of shocking falls from grace.  Telltale Games abruptly dissolved, tossing hundreds of developers onto the streets with little warning and no severance.  Exposes about Rockstar and RDR2's working conditions made labor issues a serious conversation, finally sparking some actual game dev union formation.  Steam did... a lot of bad stuff, and is losing its monopoly both from external competition and internal chaos.  Blizzard was laughed off the stage at their own convention.  The saga of ToL is the one that personally affected me.  I quit, and I can't recommend anyone play it in its current state, or projected future states.  It's going to die unless some miracle happens, and effectively is dead already for my interest.  Really a shame.  What a way to kill a great game.

Best Moment That Can Never Happen Again: Being king, trusting a single physician claim and coordinating heal+guard teamwork that stopped the evil team from killing anyone and brought the good guys back from a numbers deficit. 

Game I Want To Play Most But Didn't Yet: Return of the Obra Dinn

Everything I read about this game, and what little I let myself see, convinces me that I will love it.  Just haven't found the right time and mood yet.  From all indications it would be headed for a fairly high placement. 

#10: Subnautica

I don't like simulation games, especially survival sims that put the player on aggravating timers for persistently repetitive fetchquests.  I don't love open world sandboxes, at least not nearly as much as other people seem to.  I downright hate crafting systems in games, there's few easier ways to get me to stay away from something than talking about chains of gathering X quantity of Y to make Z to make Q to thinly veil some 20 boar pelt MMO grind loop.  I admire the style and aesthetics of the Atelier games from a great, great distance, and had absolutely no desire to ever touch Minecraft even before I found out its creator was a terrible person.

So of course I'm kicking off this list with Subnautica, an open world survival sandbox with crafting and base building as primary elements.  Game owns.

True, it does cheat.  It has an actual story to progress, a number of setpieces, writing, blah blah.  But that isn't actually why I like it, I'll claim a little hipster beat for it though and say that I was liking the game even before it had those things, back when it was early access with none of the "main storyline" implemented beyond the initial crashed ship.

The atmosphere is right.  It's gorgeous.  The UI feels good, somehow avoiding all the things that usually turn me off the genres involved.  It's fun to swim around and explore the different environments.  Aesthetically, it feels closer to all the perks of a good metroidvania.  Exploring and finding some rare material feels like getting rewarded with a missile expansion in metroid, rather than "finally, boar hide 2/20".  And, of course, when the story did get put in, it was pretty nice.

You can get super into the base building if you like, making stuff feels good, I still wasn't THAT grabbed but I didn't mind making some lockers and a tube aquarium that didn't look like ass.  Considering how much I normally am not into these things, I can recognize this game as pretty darn great.

Best Moment: Creating a Cyclops sub and boarding it for the first time.  "Wait, this isn't just a vehicle skin around me.  I can... walk around?  There's multiple decks?  I can drive this whole thing?  I can build INSIDE IT?!"

#9: Into The Breach

This is a popular pick for many GOTY lists, and I have little unique to add to the effusive praise.  Go read Rami Ismail's list if you need an overview.  Super polished, super solid.  When I want a small scale tactics game, this is going to be the one to turn to for years to come.

Best Moment: By its nature, the missions all kind of blend together.  The best moment for me was spending 45 minutes on a single turn figuring out a way to save a train that seemed doomed to wreck.

#8: Heaven Will Be Mine

I guess this year's theme is followups to megahits.  How, as a creator, do you continue after a smash hit magnum opus?  You keep going.  Into the Breach is no FTL but it's still very good.  We'll see more of this later on the list as well.  We Know The Devil was just such a megahit in the queer indie circle, in contention for my #1 game of all time forever, and here's the team's next work.  It's different, it doesn't speak to me as much, but it's still very, very good.

It's a mecha anime story.  I've never watched Gundam, I've never liked mecha, it's not really my scene, so a lot of stuff surely flew over my head.  And that's fine, I always say I love works that take sight at a specific niche and make a deep appeal to a small slice of people rather than trying to shallowly appeal to everyone.  Even though it is not entirely for me, it works to make me into more of a person whom it is for - I see some of the appeal now, the constant allegories of war and robots and personae (shipselves, here.)

What it does have for me is amazing characters and emotive writing.  You can't help but cheer on Saturn as she goes for the title of Most Disastrous Disaster Lesbian Of All Time, or agonize with LT over whether to shoot her down (there's no question that LT can shoot her down.  That's why she's the ace.)  And Pluto's figurative and literal gravity well draws everyone together.  I'm being a bit vague because the narrative is everything, here, but yeah, well worth the journey.  Austin Walker is more articulate than I, and much more of a mecha fan, if you want to read more praise.

Best Moment: The sniper scene between Luna-Terra and Saturn in the second set of missions.  The energy of the characters and the game blazes through here, giving the reader a mix of narrative, physical and sexual tension.  Everyone lives to their fullest, until they die.

#7: One Night Hot Springs

A short and simple VN made in a game jam that took off in indie circles and gained well deserved exposure and applause.  The protagonist, a young Japanese trans woman, is invited to spend a night at a hot spring resort with her best friend and another person she hasn't met before.  What to do?  That's it, that's the premise, there's no twist, and it's only about 30 minutes to play through and see all the content.  And yet in its simplicity it manages to be both educational and emotional. 

Out of everything on the list, this is the game I would most recommend everyone play.  You'll learn things, you'll feel things, no matter whether you are trans, know trans people, or don't know any and don't care about the subject. 

Best Moment: All of it.  Seriously, it's short and consistently quality, I can't pick any specific bit out.  The link is right there, and it's free.  Give yourself a treat and go read it for yourself!

#6: Celeste

Another game that everyone else has written about, because like Undertale, it made it so big as to break out of "indie" discussion entirely and get on most people's mainstream GOTY lists.  Marries the best of the precision platforming community to a great atmosphere, absolutely amazing music and touching story.  It's already got a #1 placement in this very thread, you don't need me to tell you about Celeste. 

If anything, it feels weird for me to have it this low, but that says more about me than it does about the game.  I was already familiar with precision platformers and character-focused stories about anxiety and depression and etc, so for me a lot of the game's beats were more "ah, good, this thing is here and polished" than "oh wow, I've never seen anything like this before!"

Best Moment: Chapter 2 is really the whole game in a nutshell.  Also has the best music.

#5: SURVEY_PROGRAM_WINDOWS.EXE

A short questionnaire from a Smash Bros player about creating an identity and constructing some hopes and dreams.  It was cute.  I felt like my choices really mattered.

... by which I mean, Deltarune: Chapter 1. Again coming back to the theme of 2018, when you've made a megahit, how do you follow that up creatively?  Toby Fox takes the more daring route of "yes, actually, make the same thing again.  But different."  It acknowledges that most everyone playing it will have played Undertale.  To death.  And beyond.  It's the same.  And yet, it's not the same at all.  Everything is recognizable, but twisted around, and somehow it still manages to capture the most essential elements of surprise and delight that put its predecessor into people's hearts.  "Wait, there's a battle system?  Wait, there's a party?!  Is this grazing?!?  Is this an actual game?!?!"

It stands alone, it's intensely satisfying, and the weirder elements come a little more to the forefront.  I want more, I want more of that town at the end, I want to hang out with Noelle and find out what's up with the Knight.  There's a certain fascination to be played on here, where something was left ambiguous, and now it may be answered, and you wonder what the answer will be and fear it may ruin everything.  But it's never quite what you expect.

Best Moment: I'll be with you in the dark.

#4: Cultist Simulator

When I was first writing up this list in Discord, the Celeste section sparked a discussion about precision platformers and games that seem to hate the player.  I don't think precision platformers hate the player.  They want you to succeed, and the difficult challenges are a way of making you think harder and become better at the controls and techniques involved.
Cultist Simulator?  Cultist Simulator hates the player.  This game wants you to be confused, and utterly out of your depth, and borderline frustrated, and devastated when one of the many terrible things that can happen creep up on you and consume hours of progress.  "Ah," you whisper.  "I am ruined."  That's what makes Cultist Simulator great.

The game itself is simple when you break it down, it's a plate spinner, and it gives you little to no guidance about what you can spin in the plates, much less what you should.  You stare at a table for hours, planning a route to something, and then something else comes up and you forget and drop something in a timer juggle.  Nothing is explained.  Even sharing tips with other players, it's impossible to cover more than a fraction of what's going on.

This is all very much by design, to walk this tightrope between confusion and overwhelmingness and keep it at juuuust the right balance to make people keep playing, get that old strategy "one more turn" going rather than making you give up.  It succeeds at that, marvelously so.  Every time I play this game, eight hours pass in a heartbeat and I still feel barely done.  The same was true for the people I have watched play it, who got me into the game.

And there's a reward at the end of the tunnel, too, because Alexis Kennedy is a pretty darn good gamewriter.  It's just not the reward you think it is.  The true reward is understanding the world, when you've read enough of the books that you start piecing together connections between the brief scraps mentioned here and there, putting characters in their places, noticing the little details and connections between this and that recurring element.  The true joy to be had is like what you get from reading an RPG setting guide.  I know I'm going to be stealing a ton of stuff from this setting and cosmology in future projects.  It is a weird game, and not for everyone.  But it does not disappoint, and its strangeness and intentionally obfuscated nature are part of its charm.

Best Moment: Learning to navigate the sea of icons representing character traits, checking out several characters, and noticing what one of them lacked compared to the others: the "Mortal" aspect.  "Oh.  Oh."

#3: ESC

Out of this and Heaven Will Be Mine, I was more excited for HWBM and thought ESC would be a short side dish.  Turns out I had them backwards, and that's no slight to HWBM.  ESC is a  solo project from Lena Raine, composer for Celeste, so I guess she wins the year with two appearances on my list.  A cyberpunk story that is probably under the visual novel umbrella, except not quite, and more auditory than visual, and interactive except not, and derivative yet utterly creative.  I played through this in a single shot on stream, have the whole thing saved as a highlight. 

There's a sequence in there that I think is about ten minutes of nothing but silence and heavy breathing.

Raine is best known for her composition and audio work, and no surprise it's outstanding here.  The soundscape is as much a part of the story as the text and other visuals.  Feels more like something you'd go to a museum or theatre for than a video game, but undeniably has roots in gaming (it's about an oldschool Multi User Chat Kingdom, for starters).

Some of the plot covers familiar territory, if you've read books or engaged with non-gaming media in the last decade.  Some of the twists I called.  Others I didn't.  Even the ones I did were compelling in their presentation.  You know how there's a difference between watching a movie in a theatre and at home on a TV?  Play ESC with headphones on.

One thing it does have in common with HWBM is a very relevant forward look at modern society, especially tech.  The augmented reality parts feel very plausible within the next couple of decades, and the projected social stuff right on the nose.  There were even some news stories that broke right around the time of the game's release that, without spoiling much, are quite relevant to the parts where it dares to name some specific names and corporations and things they might do.

Definitely "The Alex Pick" on the list, I don't see it on many others, but it hit me hard.

Best Moment: The overwhelming everything of the cast waking up in the city and making their way down to the train station.  Exquisite.

#2: La Mulana 2

Yet another "Theme of 2018, how do we follow up a smash hit" entry.  Yet again, not as good as the original, but different and does its own thing that is in some places better.  There is a certain satisfaction in La Mulana's exploration and puzzle solving that I don't think I've seen really replicated in anything else.  LM2 manages to recapture a fair bit of it.  That alone rockets it up the list, as I wasn't sure these feelings could ever be replicated.  But here we are, buying caltrops from a duck. 

It has warts, there are a lot of bugs, the ending is rushed.  Still the pinnacle of exploratory metroidvania that it is.  Sometimes I question if I even like playing games anymore, and then you have these rare gems that bring it all back and send me rushing to the computer every waking moment for nearly 70 hours straight. 

Best Moment: The Kujata boss fight.  Some of the best audio and visual work in the game, as the player boards the fairy king's boat and sails into a maybe-real space ocean to fight a titanic seven-eyed bull with a volcano on its back.  All the grandeur of a big Fromsoft boss setpiece, placed in a delicious middle-intro of metroidvania goodness.

#1: Slay the Spire

Without a doubt the game that dominated the year for me, wrapping together a ton of themes I love into a single ultra-polished package.  It has the mystery and atmosphere of Dark Souls, the pop and detail of a good adventure game, the precision deckbuilding and gameplay of a really good tabletop/cardgame like Dominion or M:TG, great music, great art, satisfying challenge, brainteasing, roguelike replayability, adjustable and accessible difficulty, a responsive and amazingly skilled development team... it has everything.

It's sort of a quiet game, since it's been chugging along in early access with continual development.  Probably not on many people's top 10s.  But for me, I was into Spire at the start of the year, am still playing it heavily here at the end, and will still be doing so into 2019.  It is a really, really well made video game.  The development alone, watching the highly transparent team at work responding to the community and tweaking things, and directly comparing that to the Throne of Lies dev trainwreck... well, it's night and day, and made it easier to understand why StS took off and met with so much success compared to similar titles like Hand of Fate.  This is how games should be.

Best Moment: Any unbelievable how-did-that-win?! run.  For me, probably one of my earlier runs with the Defect, the game's robot wizard archetype, where I discovered the true power of randomizing card costs and recursion to break my way into infinite or near-infinite combos on every late fight. 

#0: Night in the Woods

Not a 2018 game, but that's when I got to play it.  Knocks everything else on this list out of the park.  Play Night in the Woods.  It's a story about being a trash person on the wrong side of life at the end of the world, friendship, poetry, and life in general.  There's a shoplifting minigame, and another for reading microfilm at the local library.  It's the only piece of media I've seen that I felt really understood some parts of my life I've shared with almost no one.  It's raw, it's real, it communicates effectively.  Play Night in the Woods.

Best Moment: Lying down on the train tracks with my mouse horror buddy.  Gregg shooting someone with a crossbow.  Chasing Bea across a strange city after being the worst person to her.  Smashing with Angus.  Meeting Germ's friends.  Spying on the poetry club.  Sailing to Trash Island.  Digging up a ghost.  Becoming a breeder of vermin in the forgotten corpse of a holiday.  Getting drunk in the woods.  Dreaming of stars.  Waking up.  Realizing Mae's friends care about her.

In conclusion, play One Night Hot Spring and Night in the Woods.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 06:31:18 PM »
Games I replayed this year:

Fire Emblem Fates: Specifically Conquest, twice. Finished my run of Lunatic Conquest then later did a sword-only run of Hard. Looks to have game of the decade sewn up at this point!
Mario Kart: Double Dash: Randomly revisiting a series I'm a fan of.
Mario Kart 7: Randomly revisiting a series I'm a fan of.
Wild Arms XF: Completed my seventh(!) playthrough of the game, in which I didn't do much out of the ordinary gameplaywise (used only four PCs) but primarily played to do my project of counting lines for the game. I want to do more of those in the new year, that was fun! I'm a data nerd.
Final Fantasy 5: I mean honestly, you have to go all the way back to 2010 to find a year I didn't play FF5. The Four Job Fiesta rolls on. This year I tried out the iOS version which was neat, and learned that stealing Twin Lances sucks.
Shadow Hearts 3: Just an ordinary enough replay, watched the plot again since why not? It's definitely a mixed bag, but this is known. Gameplay is great as always. Fourth playthrough.
Super Metroid: Played it twice, once casually (got close to 100% but then got bored), and once a bit more speedily (1:04).

Games I played this year, but not enough to rate:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: I'll probably pick it up myself sometime next year and write about it then. For now, it's more Smash, can't complain.

And the new games:

11. Rise of the Tomb Raider (Playstation 4, Square Enix/Crystal Deynamics, 2015)

I enjoyed the first game in the Tomb Raider reboot series quite a bit when I played it. Not a personal favourite, but solid enough. I kinda expected more of the same when I picked this game up, and on the whole I'd say I got it, but it turns out that what was good about the original Tomb Raider isn't easy to re-create and what is easy to re-create isn't actually that good.

What I mean by that is... the best part of the original Tomb Raider was the oppressive feeling of trying to survive a shipwreck on an island, find your friends, and avoid getting murdered or worse by a crazy cult of men. It's a game where you get to see the protagonist really get ground down by the horror of what she is witnessing and commiting. This is not a plot you can recycle, and I guess it's to credit of Rise that it doesn't try, but unfortunately the new plot just isn't nearly as compelling.

Past that you get a game which is technically sound, has decent enough action and exploration, but doesn't really wow me on any front. Rise isn't a bad game, but it's a bit of a bland one. Its attempts at plot don't work that well, and the gameplay is unexceptional.

Rating: 5/10

10. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch, Nintendo, 2017)

I have a bit of an odd relationship with 3D Mario. The 2D Mario games include some of my favourite games of all time. The 3D games are much more of a mix. There's Super Mario 64, a game I never found anything more than middling, to the point where I skipped its followup, Sunshine. There's Super Mario Galaxy, which took 64 in a direction which emphasised platforming challenges more, using the 3D and gravity physics to great effect; that was more my style. There's 3D Land and 3D World, which bring the outstanding design sensibility of the 2D games to the 3D environment; 3D World is one of my favourite games of the past decade.

And now there's Odyssey, which... is meh? It resembles 3D Mario to be sure, but feels like it's gone in a different direction (compared to 64) than either Galaxy or 3D Land/World. It's a game which is more about exploring what's around the corner. The game has literally hundreds of "moons" scattered throughout its large stages and your goal is to find as many as possible. The ways in which you get them are super-varied; many are just hidden; some require minor platforming challenges; others mini-games. And it's... okay, but none of this really appeals to me that much aside from the platforming? And the platforming is not the series' finest.

It's technically a fine game, it controls very nicely, etc. But it's not what I want out of Mario at all, and for me ranks the lowest of the series since its rebirth on the DS a bit over a decade ago.

Rating: 5/10

9. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch, 505 Games, 2018)

Unlike Odyssey, this is at least a platformer which knows it's a platformer. It also lets you play as four different characters! Given that Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario 3D World, and Mega Man X8 are all among my favourite games, you might guess this is something that would make Curse of the Moon appeal to me, and you'd be right. You can switch between the characters at will and it's a lot of fun when you have to figure out which character (or better, combination of characters) is the way to deal with a certain platforming section or boss fight.

Of course, given its spot on this list, it's not all good. The jump physics are primitive and clunky, which rips the heart out of a platformer for me. The character-switch mechanic is handled weirdly in that if you die, you lose that character (fine) but also get sent back a bunch (why?) without access to the character you lost, and everyone else still at their current (possibly low) health. Far too often it becomes good play to sacrifice your last character or two.

Actual stage design itself is... okay, again a bit hampered by the jump mechanics though. Boss design is quite good, though, both aesthetically (given the game's limitations of a NES-like sprite game) and as fights, so that's a plus!

This game is kind of a teaser for the less-retro Ritual of the Night. Looking forward to that when that comes out; hopefully it's good!

Rating: 5.5/10

8. I Am Setsuna (Switch, Square Enix, 2016)

This is a neat little JRPG which I'm glad I got around to. It cribs from Chrono Trigger, which is a game which is rightly loved. Like Chrono Trigger, it's an ATB game where AoE moves are prominent and characters feel memorable and distinct gameplaywise while being reasonably balanced. That's good!

Also good is the fact that the story is, aside from its woefully ineffective silent main, actually quite good; we've seen the story of a young woman going on a pilgrimmage in famous RPGs before but this game does a good job of exploring the self-destructive nature of such a quest and has some interesting characters along the way. It's not a story that hits all its beats entirely right but it still makes you think in a good way.

Unfortunately the game doesn't really measure up to the games it imitates. On gameplay, the fact that you can't see the effect areas of your attacks sucks. So does the needlessly cumbersome systems of crafting and skill acquisition (it won't be the last RPG on this list to trip up over making such things more complicated than they need to be). And the game can be a bit dreary aesthetically (which is kinda the point) with a soundtrack that largely fell flat for me.

It's still a solid experience which I recommend, but for a game that both imitates and at time feels like it's on the threshold of greatness, there's little question it falls short.

Rating: 6/10

7. Cosmic Star Heroine (Playstation 4, Zeboyd, 2017)

By comparison, this game definitely isn't clunky; Zeboyd as always eschews many of the more questionable elements of RPGs and just delivers sold RPG gameplay from start to finish. And it's funny; this game is much less like Chrono Trigger gameplaywise than Setsuna is, but the graphical style is almost a complete ripoff. There are worse choices!

Anyway Cosmic Star Heroine, like other Zeboyd outings, isn't really worth playing for anything but gameplay, but fortunately it's good at that. The game features a unique system where each skill can be used exactly once before you spend a turn to recharge them, so you have to consider when to use each move (with your extra-effective "hyper" turns and the Wild Arms FP-like style gauge having an affect on these decisions). Gameplay boils down to good teamwork where you use the right skills to achieve the greatest effect against the enemies you're fighting. It's a fun puzzle to solve, and the wide array of options (characters get more skills than they can actually set, and there are lots of characters each with their own unique battle style) makes for a lot of fun. Also, as is the norm for Zeboyd, all relevant information is presented to the player upfront and I love this as much as always.

My main knock on the game, which I keep coming back to, is that all the interesting stuff is very player-focused. What enemies do barely matters, especially since you don't actually "die" until one turn after you drop below 1 HP, giving you extra security that your big damage combo strategies are gonna work. It's a good thing the game keeps giving you new toys to play with, since once you find an effective strategy there's often little need to modify it until you get new ways to improve on it.

Oh yeah and the plot/characters are weak and nothing else about the game is too notable. But if you've played their games before, you probably knew that, and this is probably the best of them.

Rating: 7/10

6. Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (Nintendo DS, Chunsoft, 2010)

Easily the most unique of the games I played this year, 999 is an interesting little game. I liked the blend of puzzle game with the psychological thriller story (and the way they intersect); my fondest memories of the game are trying to figure out what certain characters were trying to do based on the possibilities which the numbers of the game allowed and implied.

It's not the best technical story ever but it has lots of interesting things to dissect anyway, and is just very compelling - as I played through the game, I was thinking about it a lot, and wanting to see what would happen next and if it would line up with my thought processes. The structure of the game additionally does take advantage of the strength of the game medium in telling a story in that you can explore several possibilities and use the combined information of those to solve the ultimate mysteries of the game.

Gameplay... eh, it exists? Mostly simple point-and-click stuff. The puzzles within it vary but are decent enough. It's not really why I played the game, and honestly I was happy that they were pretty quick to do once you figured 'em out (especially since you are forced to redo some of them to fully explore the story).

And of course it's literally a game about number theory so y'know that earns some good will from me right there.

Rating: 7/10

5. Octopath Traveler (Switch, Square Enix, 2018)

Octopath Traveler is without a doubt the most complete RPG I played this year. It doesn't really excel at anything, but it delivers a solid experience on pretty much every front.

Let's start with the gameplay. The game has two key signature mechanics in addition to the JRPG norms. First, you can break (stun) your enemies by hitting them with their elemental weaknesses a certain number of times (this number is known and thus you can plan strategies to achieve it, using the visible turn order as a helpful guide). Second, you gain 1 "Boost Point" every turn and can spend them on actions (up to three at once) in order to make those actions more potent (even buffs and statuses are improved this way, by increasing their duration). These mechanics interleave nicely to create lots of strategic choices. Battles, both randoms and bosses, are quite fun as a result.

On writing, again, the game does pretty well for itself. There are eight stories, all relatively short, but most of them (as many as seven, really) are quite well done. The stories know the themes they want to examine and generally do a pretty good job of doing so. There's no one story I have completely unalloyed love for, but several of them definitely were thought-provoking in ways I didn't expect, such as Primrose's examination of revenge, Alfyn's of the responsibilities and the moral quandaries faced by a healer, and Ophilia's dealing with family bonds and the strains grief can place on them. I also liked how the optional "final boss" (more of a superboss really) manages to tie together elements from all the stories nicely.

Even the music is a great microcosm of the game; many very solid tracks (particularly for towns, battles, and character themes) though no one which completely floors me.

It's certainly a good game. I think my biggest complaints may lie in its pacing; it's a long game, and both its boss design and several of the stories suffer a bit during the second chapter out of four, before they find their identity. I feel like I'd absolutely love this game if it were more streamlined. As is, it's still pretty darn good, and is the best traditional RPG I've played in several years (with a caveat on this comment to be addressed shortly!).

Rating: 8/10

4. Metroid: Samus Returns (Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo/MercurySteam, 2017)

I think of myself as a Metroid fan, and I imagine most people who have heard me talk about the series do too, but until this year there were only two I played I was actually a big fan of! I love Metroidvanias but since Super Metroid kinda codified the genre, there were just two more pure 2D Metroids over the next two decades. What gives, Nintendo? Fortunately, this game came along, and now there's finally a third.

Like the previous 2D Metroid, this is a remake of a previous game, that being the Game Boy game Metroid II. However, this game is, to its great credit, certainly not content to just simply put a newer-Metroid coat of paint on an old game (which I'd argue was a problem that the previous remake, Zero Mission, had). It very much feels like a new game. The addition of the rather magic-like Aeon abilities (which run off a shared, easily rechargeable resource) is welcome. There's also now a melee counter which opens up some options in combat though is rarely strictly necessary if that playstyle isn't your thing. And the ability to aim freely is a combat option I didn't know I needed.

Speaking of combat, it's something that Metroid remains good at! Enemy design is solid enough. Boss design is... decent overall, though it does suffer a bit because you fight the same bosses repeatedly (as was the case in the original Metroid II and as befits the fact that you're essentially playing an extermination mission). As always you get increasing options to deal with enemies and it's a lot of fun.

I don't think it does plot/atmosphere as well as my favourites (Super and Fusion). I feel like the game doesn't really explore the enormity and finality of what you're attempting (although a certain scene in the ending is effective at least) and the game doesn't have much else to talk about on this front.

But overall the complaints aren't major. Without question, the game delivers a fresh new spin on 2D Metroid and undoubtedly moves it forward in at least some ways, for the first time since 2002.

Rating: 8/10

3. Celeste (Switch, Matt Makes Games, 2018)

A very fun little romp of a platformer. The maingame of Celeste is only seven stages long, but their finely crafted, each with their own theme and gameplay quirks. The game is beautifully designed and within each stage does a wonderful job of using the quirks of the level to build a steadily more challenging experience. It's a tough game, but never unfair and wants you to succeed, and it controls nicely. As pure platformers go, this one is up there with the best.

Although the game is short it does have lots of extra content, like more challenging re-imaginations of the game's base stages. In general I don't think the extra content maintains the same high standard of design as the base game, but it's not bad and I had fun with most of it anyway.

It's also a game that actually has a decent enough story, which is obviously something platformers often struggle with. Its look at depression isn't earth-shattering but it's still a nice attempt to address the issue and the story it tells is sweet and charming, so I'm not going to complain.

But yeah, the core stage design is just so good that it's ensured a high spot on this list, and despite its challenge feels like it manages to be accessable to almost anyone. A great game.

Rating: 8.5/10

2. Tales of Berseria (Playstation 4, Namco, 2017)

Octopath is the best traditional RPG I've played in several years... unless you action RPGs count. Then it's, against all odds, a Tales game that takes that crown for me.

Not that its action RPG gameplay does it any favours. It's certainly more functional than the last Tales game I played (Abyss, 11 years ago) since its movement system finally feels functional. But it's not really a reason to play the game; it's usually rather mindless and has a bunch of goofy sub-systems related to equipment and skills which I never figured out but never really felt I had to.

But you know what, I don't care. Because Tales of Berseria has the most interesting writing of any game in the traditional RPG narrative mold I've played in over a decade, and is a serious contender for "of all time" as far as I'm concerned.

It has some absolutely stellar characters. Velvet is a highly compelling lead and the game leaves no stone unturned in examining her quest for revenge, the morality thereof, and its effect on her. Surrounding her are range of characters who at worst have good interactions with their castmates, and at best go through their own thought-provoking character arcs. Special shout-out to Magilou being one of the best comic characters I've seen, who also gets some effective serious stuff.

It examines its themes well and talks about big things. Human behaviour is its single overriding focus: emotion versus reason and the hypocrisy of those who claim to be superior for focusing only on the latter. The game's arc words are "why do birds fly", which bereft of metaphor is pretty much "why is this person doing this". The game wants you to ask that question not only of all its playable characters, but all of its major antagonists and supporting casts as well, and the answers are interesting, at times surprising, and far from black-or-white.

In a time where I increasingly want my story-focused games to say something of value, Berseria shows up and it has things to say. The fact that I don't have it rated higher mostly reflects my own biases as a player; this is as high a score as I ever give out to anything whose gameplay I don't care for.

1. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch, Ubisoft, 2017)

The strategy RPG remains the queen of video game genres. Great ones don't come along often enough, but when one does, it's probably going to top my game list for the year. A crossover between Mario and Rabbids is pretty much the last place I expected such a strategy RPG to appear from, but, well, here we are.

The game is often compared to XCOM and that's fair in that both are games in which sight lines and cover play a huge role, but Rabbids very much carves out its own identity. Whereas XCOM is about procedurally generated stages for maximum replay value, Rabbids is a game where each stage is custom-designed with the knowledge of the options the player has in order to create a devilisly fun and challenging battle experience.

And is it ever good at that. There's so much the game does right. The game makes more use of movement than perhaps any other game in the genre. The playable characters feel unique and discovering how each of them plays and then using their strengths to overcome different maps is a lot of fun. Enemy design is solid at base (since the enemies make use of all the same mechanics you do) and downright inspired at best (such as the Smasher, a low-move enemy who charges towards you as a counter and has brutal melee damage). The game handles enemy-phase reinforcements in a way that actually is telegraphed and presents the information to you fairly ahead of time (take notes, Fire Emblem). The fight against Bowser (whoops, spoilers) even includes a SRPG translation of the "make him do something dumb and self-destructive", and it's glorious.

On writing, it's a Mario RPG, with an infusion of the crazy and irreverent humour of the rabbids themselves. It's silly and at times funny, though not a game you should play for this primarily. (Its actual plot isn't always explained very well because the game doesn't care, so I guess neither should the player.)

It's a game I really want to see how replays treat it and haven't gotten around to those yet, but even if it ends up on the low end of my expectations (which is where I have it tentatively rated), it's my game of the year anyway.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:03:05 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 11:51:39 PM »
Looking back, it seems I played a lot of games in 2018!  Not sure why.  Maybe kicking the League of Legends habit freed up more time than I thought.  Basically all of them were good, though, I enjoyed 'em all, even the 6/10 ones.

For those interested, I have the same data in Google Doc form here, with slightly fewer "DL"y references: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Eniw2m6HWAqGTfP-lycfvFpcflN8qctBJbJg58UwsV8/edit?usp=sharing

Short version, detailed writeups below:

15. Slay the Spire (Steam, 2018)
14. Prismata (Steam, 2018)
13. Jake Hunter Detective Stories (Nintendo DS, 2008)
12. Aviary Attorney (Steam, 2015)
11. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (New Nintendo 3DS, 2016)
10. Azure Striker Gunvolt (Nintendo 3DS, 2014)
9. Cosmic Star Heroine (PS Vita, 2018-for-Vita, 2017 for other platforms)
8. Suikoden (PSX via PS Vita over PSN, 1996)
7. Golf Story (Nintendo Switch, 2017)
6. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Steam / PS4, 2018)
5. Dragon Quest XI (Steam, 2018)
4. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (Nintendo 3DS, 2017)
3. Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch, 2018)
2. Celeste (PS4, 2018)
1. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Nintendo 3DS, 2012)

Okay (6/10)

15. Slay the Spire (Steam, 2018)

Neat build-your-deck as you play game that combines a dungeon crawler with Dominion & friends.  Anyway, it's very cool and clearly has extreme replay value for those who are into it, but a little too stressful for me.  I prefer something like Hearthstone Expert Challenges for my single-player CCG challenge: one ludicrously hard battle you can retry with variants as often as you want, not a tense tightrope which might be easier in the abstract, but any single failure ends your run. Anyway, this might be a little unfair; it's a great game, just not for me past my ~5 attempts or so.

14. Prismata (Steam, 2018)

An indie attempt to combine StarCraft, Dominion, and Chess, kind of like Puzzle Strike.  The result is a consistent base set + a randomized draw of things to build.  Like Chess, though, it's perfect information, so there are "openings" and the like to memorize, although the random set helps mix things up from game to game.  Anyway, it's good for what it is, but what it is is also a brutal game for casuals in PvP due to the perfect information thing.  Similar to chess, this is a game where if you are a bit worse than your opponent, you will lose every game.  Tricky learning curve as a result.  Of course, there's the single-player campaign as well which is actually decently written if you're up for a far-future transhumanists in space type plotline!  It was decent.

13. Jake Hunter Detective Stories (Nintendo DS, 2008)

Obscure old original DS visual novel game I got a long time back, and was reminded of because another Jake Hunter game came out in English this year, Ghost of the Dusk.  I figured I should finally get around to it.  This is actually a compilation / remake of several games originally done for the original Nintendo / NES / Famicom that never made it out of Japan, along with a few new cases and a new overplot wherein the excuse is a new character reading Jake's old files.  Anyway, Jake Hunter is the most pulpy private eye ever who does pulp private eye things like investigate mob casinos, tail diplomats, start fist fights in alleys, intimidate bar owners, etc.  As a visual novel, I could potentially spill a LOT of ink dissecting the plot and everything for a game I doubt few will ever play, so the somewhat shorter version...

The plots aren't very good, and show their age (e.g. sometimes clearly written before cell phones were everywhere).  They do have the virtue of being somewhat simpler / less convoluted than the craziness inherent in Phoenix Wright series plots, but that is at the cost of the gameplay being basically nonexistent.  It's all 5th-grade reading comprehension quiz stuff of can you parrot back to the game what it just told you.  There's no series of crazy twists or people demanding for the player to point to a specific piece of evidence that supports what they think.  I think there's exactly one point in the game where I felt like I had to figure something out based on my current clues and it wasn't told to me directly or easily brute forced by conversation options being limited.  The game does improve on this as it goes on, at least.  One of the later plots is by far the least realistic, but hey, it's actually interesting, so I'll take it.

Music is nothing special either.  There's maybe two good tracks, and there isn't enough music either, so the same pieces repeat a lot.  The game also isn't exactly a shining example of women in fiction.  Actual 1950s noir ladies might have their appearances commented on constantly ("the sultry redhead", etc.), but they had agency - they did things, they knew things, they helped, they betrayed.  This isn't usually true in the game, a few too many are just background damsels in distress or information dumps or the like.

I would be all set to give the game a pretty awful score, BUT!  Somehow, the bonus material is legit better than the main game.  There's 6+ "Jake Hunter Unleashed" bonus cases where everything is drawn in a chibi style, everything is over-exaggerated, bland characters now have personalities, and there's real gameplay in that you get to see all the facts then make your deductions with tons of wrong answers to pick and not TOO much blatant cluing.  Even bonuses-to-the-bonus and a quiz and the like.  It really helped save the game.

In the event you want a "serious" mood visual novel thriller on the old Nintendo DS, you should play Hotel Dusk first.  And Last Window second.  This is third, I guess.

12. Aviary Attorney (Steam, 2015)

This is basically a Phoenix Wright clone, except it is set in 1840s France, and also all the characters are French animals.  Another Indie studio development that was basically just 2 people as best I can tell.  It's very short, but smartly written, and has a decent amount of branching in its 3rd & 4th cases.  It actually uses something approaching real court procedures as compared to Phoenix Wright, too, which is super cool.

As for how the dev managed the game on such a tight budget, he cannily uses public domain stuff: free recordings of Claude Debussy, and cartoons made by J. J. Grandville of the era.  However, the real 1840s Grandville wasn't writing the French equivalent of Garfield or a newspaper strip that had consistent characters; he was doing something more like The Far Side or editorial cartoons, where each cartoon had its own crazy thing going on.  In other words, the dev is kinda stuck with just one piece of art for each character, and that's it.  The developer makes a grand show with just that, having the art bounce up and down, be reversed, put on masks, etc., but it does kinda stand out in terms of cheapness.  For things like maps, evidence, crime scenes, and so on, the dev took authentic pictures of the era and adds some sepia toning and the like to brush it up.

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Ignace_Isidore_G%C3%A9rard_Grandville if you want to see some examples.)

Anyway, it's good.  And fast, and cheap.

11. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (New Nintendo 3DS, 2016)
10. Azure Striker Gunvolt (Nintendo 3DS, 2014)

An interesting, very shonen anime spin on Mega Man.  The stages aren't a big deal (unlike some of the Mega Man games), but the boss showdowns tend to be cool & challenging, and more importantly, stylish & fun.  This is good because the plot is not great, so better milk style points for all you got.

The two games are pretty similar.  On one hand, I like the 2nd character they added for ASG2 and the general structure of that game.  I'm still going to slightly put ASG1 first since the balance is a little less lopsided, and I enjoy taking on a cyberpunk megacorporation more than a nonsensical X-Men Magneto ripoff.

9. Cosmic Star Heroine (PS Vita, 2018-for-Vita, 2017 for other platforms)

Zeboyd Games, the makers of Cthulhu Saves The World and some retro sprite-based RPGs other back during the original indie game spread (but before the market was totally flooded), got enough name recognition that they felt like stepping up from comparatively cheap 8-bit homages to more complicated 16-bit homages, specifically Chrono Trigger & Phantasy Star IV.  Turns out that this is much, much, much more complicated & labor-intensive, leading to a release date delayed by years and years, and even the first release being pretty buggy (still wasn't perfect on bugs 1 year later when the Vita version came out, but better at least).  Still, the fact that they made this at all is quite impressive, and a reminder why we don't see this style all the time.

The good: The battle system.  There's a lot of love in all the enemy designs & encounters; lots of unique enemies, not much reuse of them, no color swaps.  Characters have interesting and unique skillsets, and the optimal strategy is more about setting up deadly buff'd combos to do a zillion damage then spamming a single move and then sometimes using healing.  Freely adjustable difficulty settings so you'll never get stuck nor bored.  Dungeon design is okay too, not too big, not too small, not just one straight line corridor.

The bad: The plot.  The characters.  The dialogue.  Ugh.  The game has its moments, I guess, and is "charming" at times and has some nice CT callbacks.  There's also a few points where it clearly decided to tweak or thumb its nose at a plot cliche, which is cool.  But why must the writing be so bad?  It seems determined not to even do a simple plot about evil forces mind controlling people well.  It has a few too many "witty" lines that fall flat.

This game is TECHNICALLY unfinished but whatever, I only have like the final dungeon left.

Good (7/10)

8. Suikoden (PSX via PS Vita over PSN, 1996)

Oddly enough, I never played Suikoden I Back In The Day in the PSX JRPG category.  It was pretty fun!  It's interesting how much the first game "got right" in setting the tone for the later sequels: some sort of clash at a nation-level rather than the world-level, a game structure that's all about recruiting allies and making alliances via some RPG do-gooding, people from all classes of society being involved, at least somewhat sympathetic antagonists who have enough Real Bad People in 'em that you don't feel too bad about fighting 'em.  It's also interesting how unashamedly sparse some of the towns & dungeons are: budget, partially, but also not to let things bog down too much.  Yeah, there's only 2 houses here, get to the next plot point, presume there's more people elsewhere or something.

Anyway, while the game is pleasantly quick with solid quality-of-life features for the day, there definitely are a few weird sharp edges and FAQ-bait nonsense, too.  The difficulty is much better tuned than later Suikodens (which are all too easy), but ultimately the game's system is still pretty darn simple, alternating healing & damage a lot will get you far.

7. Golf Story (Nintendo Switch, 2017)

I'm not exactly a huge golf fan, and don't think I've bothered with any other golf game before.  Nevertheless, this game was rad!  It takes its totally insane premise of being a Golf RPG exactly serious enough to make it work, while still being amusingly zany.  Kinda similar to Cosmic Star Heroine in the indie 16-bit esque art & sprite style, but if the writing was much better.  Challenge was about perfect too, hard enough to make you pay attention, but forgiving enough to almost never block your path with having to retry an event repeatedly.

Great (8/10)

6. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Steam / PS4, 2018)

NES Castlevania III but updated to be a "modern" game with less frustrating play control, playing faster, and having modern quality of life features.  I did in fact play Castlevania III before and it was good, and this is much better.  There's also a ton of replayability - play it on Nightmare mode without Zangetsu and with a new final stage, play it with super-Zangetsu killing everyone, play it on Low% for the ultimate challenge.  It's a great platformer.

(Also, don't trust my PSN achievements, stalkers, I played the vast majority of the time on the Steam "preview" version after that launched first.)

5. Dragon Quest XI (Steam, 2018)

For whatever weird reason, I got into a Dragon Quest mood in the 4th quarter of 2018 - maybe reading the fine FrankZP LPs of Dragon Quest 2, 3, and 4 on SomethingAwful helped.  I also found out that there was an orchestral mod on the Steam version to improve on the music, so I figured why not, let's get our old-RPG nostalgia on.

For what it is, Dragon Quest 11 is extremely good - it is a solid and enjoyable "classic" RPG where you will go from town to town fixing their local problems.  The graphics are beautiful, the gameplay is interesting and includes some appreciated difficulty modifiers, you can skip encounters or grind at your pleasure, most of the characters are amusing enough, and the localization of the script is exceedingly well done.  It's got that hard-to-define "charm" that helps keeps things sailing forward.  And even when the plot is dumb, it's generally compelling: think a trashy page-turner novel or an action movie.  How will our heroes get out of this jam next?!

The main complaint about DQ11 is the plot.  I generally liked DQ8's various per-town plots; DQ11's per-town plots are unfortunately weaker.  As for the overplot..  to be sure, if we're doing a Classic RPG, I am to some extent okay with the villainy being "I AM THE MONSTER LORD AND AM EVIL", but that is indeed about the most we get here, along with some usual gotta power up and find plot coupons or super weapons to break magic barriers filler.  Additionally, the main character being silent doesn't really work that well in DQ11.  In DQ3/4/8, it was fine because the MC basically does generally heroic things at all points in time; in DQ5, the main has a plot but the game sells you what exactly the main is thinking and what he wants to do at all points.  In DQ11, especially the early parts of it, the main gets into several terrible situations and doesn't do some obvious common sense actions nor vanilla heroic actions.  It badly requires some dialogue to sell, but we don't get it, and the plot points are often too uninteresting to really sell anyway.  (Example: immediately after a terrible event, rather than investigate or respond to said event, Our Hero and Erik decide to basically go treasure-hunting for an object which the game doesn't even tell us why anyone would want it, or why it would be valuable, or why Erik cares about getting it.  50 hours later it explains why Erik cared, but that "explanation" doesn't actually explain anything either.)

The good news is that the plot improves over time.  While the various vignettes are of erratic quality and often include giant plot holes or arbitrary nonsense, the second part of the game and the third / postgame section are pretty decent.  The sheer size of the world, with tons of towns to explore, characters to meet, and so on also helps out.  All in all, it was a grand experience.

4. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (Nintendo 3DS, 2016)

The third game in the Zero Escape series.  As usual, you will solve escape room puzzles while listening to interesting dialogue with a tendency to veer into problems in philosophy; the gimmick in-between for this one is the "Decision Game", different from the Nonary Games of the earlier two games.  You get to make a decision!  Sometimes a moral choice, sometimes a puzzle-infused-with-randomness (e.g. the Monty Hall problem), sometimes an exercise in pure unadulterated randomness.  Most of them are pretty interesting, although the very nature of the game's branching structure somewhat dulls the impact of the "moral" choices - of course you're going to examine both branches, even the evil / dumb ones.  The puzzles are in general solid as well.

The mood is a bit darker in ZTD than the other two games.  Sometimes it works great, but there's a few times it misfires IMO.  I blame the fact that the game was funded only due to fan outcry, which let Kotaro Uchikoshi indulge his auteur side more. 

The Zero Escape series is good for its convoluted-but-cool plots, and ZTD largely delivers here.  I would say that ZTD is maybe the weakest of the three, but I really like the other two games, so this is hardly an indictment?  Basically, the villain's plot is probably the weakest in ZTD, and the game indulges in "narrative cheating" a bit which the other two games were more sparing about.  That said, the game has some damn impressive moments none-the-less, and great characters, so this is still definitely reason to play it.

3. Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch, 2018)

See Dragon Quest XI, but better.  It's also a classic RPG, though more patterned after the Final Fantasy 6 World of Ruin than Dragon Quest 3/4, complete with a cool modernized 16-bit sprite style.  It also has an excellent localization and a witty script.  However, the characters are better, the plots in each town are more interesting, and the game is just "tighter".  The weakest 8PT plots tend to feel about equivalent to an average DQ11 plot, e.g. find a legendary treasure that was buried after some sort of sea race that somebody simultaneously won and also died in.  And heck, the big evil postgame badguy who sits around doing nothing is somehow better done as well.  While there aren't any difficulty settings, it's easy enough to challenge yourself on replays by mixing things up and hard-charging bosses and the like rather than being a completionist.

Excellent (9/10)

2. Celeste (PS4, 2018)

The pleasantly brutal platformer surprise of the year, kinda like Ori & The Blind Forest for me in 2016.  I saw others playing this on streams, thought it looked cool, and it was indeed cool.  This game is hard but incredibly rewarding: you will be presented with tough challenges, but the game wants you to succeed.  And then after you beat the tough challenges, there are MORE tough challenges in remixes of the stages.  Luckily, the game constantly auto-saves, so you can't ever lose your progress; you can try a room as often as you need to beat it.  It's also impressively sparse; your tools are your double jump and wall jumps, and that's about it, but it turns out Celeste can make tons of great gameplay and interesting gimmicks from just a few simple ingredients.

The plot was also a very welcome change of pace.  It's nice to have a story about overcoming internal demons with the only exterior "opponent" basically being nature.  The soundtrack was also really cool and different, doing a fantastic job of fitting mood to the stages.  Go play this!

1. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Nintendo 3DS, 2012)

For reasons I can't begin to explain, I bought this game when it came out, having totally loved 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and wanting to play its sequel, then proceeded not to play it for 6 years.  Why?  It is a mystery.  That said, it ended up working out, as I was able to leap from this game straight into the sequel with all the plot fresh in my mind.

The general structure is solving puzzles in escape room-esque type environments, then getting to play the Ambidex Game, which is basically the Prisoner's Dilemma.  The result is a game that goes "wide" rather than "deep" - in other words, in a normal game like Dragon Quest 11, the plot points are basically sequential, with maybe the occasional swerve at the very end.  In VLR, instead the story is constantly branching: which room did you go to?  Afterward, did you ally or betray your partner?  Any one story might not go too deep, e.g. Lounge -> Ally -> Gaulem Bay -> Ally -> Security, but there's tons of them.  And of course, the game really is "deep" as well, as a meta-tale advances looking through the lens of all the stories, since (this is not a spoiler) you eventually start importing information from one parallel "timeline" into others to unlock new possibilities and endings.  Think Radiant Historia, I suppose.  The plot for this game absolutely and utterly hooked me - it's one of the most interesting, craziest, and yet comprehensible plots I've played.  I was constantly updating my guesses on what the hell was going on, constantly being at least somewhat surprised, yet not thinking it was total bullshit or the game had "cheated" (unlike Zero Time Dilemma at its worst).  The final plot revelations are great.  I loved all of the characters.  I can totally see why there's, like, fan-made artzines dedicated to this series.

Bad things?  Well, as usual, some of the puzzles a slightly FAQ-bait, and worse, some of the supplementary puzzles even the FAQs note are slightly broken - there doesn't appear to be a clue at all to them, or they involve just being experimentally obscure.  (This may have been fixed in the Steam/PS4 re-release.)  Also, one particular room is buggy & crashy in the 3DS version and took a few attempts to clear (this was definitely fixed in the re-release).  This is all pretty minor ultimately, and more a footnote.  Virtue's Last Reward was awesome!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 01:54:48 AM by SnowFire »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 11:56:51 PM »
Also, SnowFire's other random stuff:

Notable replays:
  • Fire Emblem ("The Blazing Sword", GBA-via-emulator) - Finished up an attempted SS rank Eliwood Hard mode runthrough albeit on an emulator (read: save scum cheating possible to keep sanity, although I tried not to abuse it too much).  It felt so close to making it, then my XP score cratered from 5 stars to 3 stars after the second-to-last battle which seemingly expects you to farm reinforcements forever.  Sigh.
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (GBA-via emulator) - Playthrough on-going, doing a scrubs-only Ephraim Hard mode playthrough.  Fun times.
  • Civilization V (Steam) - Still one of the best games ever.
  • Super Punch Out!! (SNES-via 3DS Virtual Console) - Amusing enough.  Got to the 83 year old incredibly badass Japanese dude with a staff, in a boxing match, and gave up.

Unfinished:
  • Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - I was enjoying this when I stopped!  Just getting my ass kicked.
  • Stella Glow - Ephraim alert.  It's a portable strategy RPG, and one that actually has some teeth in difficulty.  Embarrassing anime plot / characters, though, so YMMV on tolerance to that.  (Bland Young Hero gets to befriend cute witches, explore their psyches as translated into strategy RPG maps, etc.  Could range anywhere from "harmless fun" to "skeevy" to "offensive".  Very anime.)  Also, the battles go a little slower than they should IMO - a bit too much waiting around between characters taking their turns, no way to skip enemy movement, etc.
  • Civilization VI - I was waiting for some more expansions to resume my game that would hopefully tighten the AI up.
  • Night in the Woods - Pretty neat, about halfway through.
  • Papers, Please - Started this at DLCon with a group, which seems the fun way to play through.
  • Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Well this is really a 2017 entry, but I did get farther at it?  It's interesting, but the dungeons bog down after awhile.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Started, not close to finished.  Will need to keep my must-explore-everywhere side in check for this one, clearly, lest I never get anything done.

Hard to rate:
  • Throne of Lies - See Sir Alex's entry.  I played a tad bit of this with Sir Alex & Yakumo back during the summer.  It's a pretty cool mafia-esque type game that, at its best, is the right combination of thinky logic under a timer that doesn't devolve into a math puzzle.  I don't think I'd ever have been a super hardcore player, but it was fun with others, and it's cool that a tiny studio was able to keep a project like this afloat.  Unfortunately, at least one of the devs went crazy and decided anybody disagreeing with them about anything was clearly Evil Saboteurs or something.  The downside of indie devs having strong personalities or something.  They also patched the game to be friendlier to people who like their mafia to be more random and less logicy, which seems like a miss to me, but what do I know.
  • Fire Emblem Heroes - Still going, still cool strategy bits, still some grindy auto-battle nonsense, still ludicrously expensive even if you are very disciplined (if you get out your wallet even once to maybe grab a favored character, that's the price of an entire other game immediately).  The game has simultaneously become grindier in some ways (needing to log in every day to do Aether Raids) while nicer in others (SP, once hoarded, can now literally get 8x to 16x rate of the original without a big deal).

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 11:48:29 PM »
Ok here we go

8. Dark Souls 3 - a worthy sendoff to the series, technically polished, extremely strong level/weapon/boss design, but it also makes it pretty clear that From has run out of insights into Dark Souls mythology.  And this shouldn't be too much of a surprise considering that the a core part of the Dark Souls mythology seems to be that everything that happened in the whole of human history is barely important in the grand scheme of things. Anyway. This game is stylish as fuck and a ton of tense fun, and anyone who played it but never got around to the DLC can look forward to some of the coolest bosses in this or any other game.

I said this last year, and I’m bringing it up because I was wrong: Dark Souls 3 DOES have new stuff to say, but it’s difficult to get the full message without some help (read: watching lore videos on youtube).  The main plot of DS3 feels like a retread, and it more or less is, exploring all the various possibilities that exist within the cyclical history of humanity and kinda demonstrating that there's nothing new under the sun (har).  The DLC, however, puts all of that in perspective, tying a bow on the cyclical nature of history and showing a path to a meaningful future.  It’s truly great.  Also those bosses, still fucking amazing.

Games I Replayed

Hollow Knight - Hollow Knight added an expansion called Godmaster in 2018, and I played the hell out of it.  The expansion is basically a boss rush, with a plethora of modes, changed environments, and a few new or modified bosses.  Doesn’t sound that exciting but the bosses in HK are superb - I actually can’t think of a 2d platformer with better ones - and the new and improved bosses are the best yet.

Dark Souls Remastered - Replayed this on the ps4.  It’s a game I love dearly, and this version looks and feels great but isn’t gonna change anyone’s opinions about it.  Played through with a big fuckoff 2h club, which was fun and different from my usual.

Ys VIII - replayed this with a self-imposed challenge to beat it on the highest difficulty, with the additional restriction of never healing.  Really interesting experience, and the game’s bosses were absolutely interesting enough to make it a worthwhile challenge.  I probably heard the phrase “My, that’s a magnificent look in your eye!” like 80 times.  Made it to the first phase of the true final boss, but it was just too much for me, which is a terrible shame because second phase of the true final boss is extremely cool.

FF12 - played the ps4 version of this, and it’s everything you would want in an HD version, especially for a game like FF12 where you manage combat rather than make every input.

The ones I haven’t played enough to rate

Dai Gyakuten Saiban - Didn’t play per se but watched through youtube translations of the entire game.  DGS has a direct sequel and it’s clear a lot of stuff from the first game will only be resolved in the second, which is a shame because only the first case of the second game has been fully translated to date.  Anyway this is a surprisingly great PW game, has every bit of polish that the modern 3DS entries do, and the plot greatly benefits from being liberated from trying to resolve PW’s convoluted backstory.  Highly recommend watching it, though if cliffhangers bother you, you may want to hold off for now.

Underhero - interesting indie paper mario-like or something about a grunt in service of the Demon Lord who winds up killing the legendary hero.  Includes a pacifism mechanic in combat.  Really curious where it’s all going, could be very good, could be less so.  A bit slow and clunky overall, though.

The Count Lucanor - a dark indie pixel adventure game take on Rumpelstiltskin.  Didn’t quite grab me but if that string of words appeals to you, it’s definitely worth a look.

Sonic Mania - which I played some of but not enough to rate.

Battle Chef Brigade - Sweet indie game with RPG, action, and competitive cooking elements.  It’s a cool idea, the art’s rad, but the pressure involved in timed cooking wasn’t my cup of tea.

Creepy Castle - Very cool retro game that hearkens back to DOS VGA graphics, has cool art, has great comedic writing, excellent music.  The main plot has some promise but it’s the sort that you can’t really judge til you see where it’s going with it.  I’m comin’ back to it.

Enter the Gungeon - cool game, played a few hours.

Dokuro - The Lemmings, starring a princess as the lemming, and a skeleton as you.  It’s a cool idea with a sweet art style, but gameplay and graphics quality is pretty bad.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Is more Yakuza.  Not done with it yet, but it’s cool.  Great localization.

Game's

8. Dragon Quest XI - Not impressed.  I’ve said plenty in wgayp so I won’t rehash here.

7. Darkest Dungeon - Extremely cool idea, extremely cool implementation, but just too fucking long.  I’m really torn rating this so low because it is unquestionably an artistic triumph, and that artistry is reflected in gameplay, and I value that a whole lot but it just takes too damn long to play.

6. La-Mulana - A fascinating, original game that I poured a ton of hours into.  I respect the hell out of the devs but I can’t rate it very highly because it is utterly disrespectful of your time.  I challenge anyone who thinks better of it to tell me so immediately after doing the platforming section up the waterfall to Bahamut (no double jumps allowed).

5. Slay the Spire - Cool game, which I don’t think I have anything to say about that hasn’t already been said.

4. Dead Cells - Extremely well-tuned roguelike platformer.  I’m not sure I’ve ever had more fun going fast in a game.  Everything feels great - in addition to attacking enemies with ranged or melee weapons, you can ground slam from above, you can knock them off edges, you can stun them by dodge-rolling through breakable doors at them.  All these systems are designed to let you succeed, glass cannon that you are.  Shout outs to doors with that lock if you don’t reach them in time, and have juicy loot for the fast.  Shout outs to synergistic status effects.  Shout outs to Ice Bow.  My principal complaints with the game are that bosses are not very well-designed, especially the final boss, and that higher difficulties create difficulty by reducing your ability to recharge your healing flask, and that’s just no fun.

3. Tales of Berseria - An excellent RPG that I think I’ve probably said enough about.  Best Takes game since Vesperia, much-discussed in wgayp so I won’t rehash it here.

2. Celeste - Rating a game based on living up to its potential, I’d give Celeste a perfect score.  What could it have done better?

1. La-Mulana 2 - Deciding between this and Celeste was quite difficult.  This game is a staggering accomplishment.  For those unfamiliar, LM2 is a direct sequel to La-Mulana, and is a puzzle platformer with a heavy emphasis on puzzles.  If anything it feels less like a traditional platformer and more like a platforming version of the puzzle structure of a classic crpg (but with better clues, puzzles, UI, and such).  Writing down clues and mapping levels are an absolute must.  This game took over my brain, so I’d go to sleep thinking about some problem I couldn’t resolve, and wake up with a potential solution to try.  Solving the puzzles and sorting out the structure of the game is extremely satisfying, and its sense of humor is pretty great, too.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:52:56 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 06:52:58 AM »
Alright, here's my 2018 gaming summary.  These are listed in no particular order, I'm not really bothering with ratings so much, and I'm not counting phone games or games I didn't complete a significant enough chunk of this year.  (This is kind of arbitrary.)

Monster Hunter: World (PS4, 2018)
Monster Hunter at its best, pretty much.  It doesn't really reinvent the wheel as the franchise goes; the really big change World brought to the franchise was the elimination of loading zones during hunts and the corresponding ability to move (slowly) while using consumables, since "running away through a loading zone to heal" is no longer possible.  It's nice to play Monster Hunter on a big screen again rather than a dinky handheld.  It's lighter on content than the more recent 3DS/Switch entries, but it doesn't actually feel lacking in content, and I don't have a Switch to enjoy that version anyway.

As usual, MH is best with friends, and luckily I have a consistent group to play with.

Secret of Mana (PS4, 2018)
What we have here is an exceedingly faithful remake of the original SNES game from 1993.  The controls are more fluid than the original version as they've added 8-directional attacking whereas the original was limited to 4.  On the whole, though, very little is changed from the original game, and this is both a blessing and a curse; all of the original game's flaws are still present, for sure.  Still, it's a competent remake - after playing this version, I don't see myself ever replaying the SNES version again.  Good on the devs for including the ability to toggle between the rearranged soundtrack or the original SNES soundtrack (unfortunately, the arrangements are overall a downgrade in my opinion) and also being able to tweak things like consumable item carrying limits - if you want to maintain the original version's limit of 4 of each consumable, you can, but you can also set it as high as 9.

I played the PS4 version, but it's also available on a bunch of other platforms.  Can't comment on the quality of other platforms.

Super Robot Wars X (PS4, 2018)
It's licensed, and translated, SRW!  It appeals to a nrrow niche as such.  Unlike 2016's Original Generations: The Moon Dwellers, the translation for this game is very competent; in fact, Bandai Namco contracted out to western SRW fans involved in some previous fan translations for the localization, and the quality shows. 

The game itself isn't perfect.  The original protagonists aren't quite as compelling as 2017's SRW V, and a couple of the licensed series don't blend into the game's setting very well - Gundam Reconguista in G and Buddy Complex in particular are handled quite awkwardly, in my opinion.  The premise behind the crossover was fairly original for the frnachise, setting all the action in an original universe which they worked a couple of the licenses into directly (Cross Ange and Gurren Lagann) and isekai'd in the rest.  Unfortunately, they only used the Gurren Lagann movie plot, which made its inclusion oddly unsatisfying; Simon shows up fairly early in the game but spends the overwhelming majority of the game just tagging along until the plots of most of the other licenses are done, because his own plot is too high stakes to do before then.  I also felt like the overall presentation of the finale was a bit weak by series standards.  Still, I enjoyed the game on balance.  I think I'd probably replay V before this one, maybe?  X was definitely stronger than V in some parts, but V's stronger endgame carries it a long way.  One big thing X does have over V for replays is an expert difficulty mode, though.

The game also has a Vita port, which has lower resolution and occasionally worse frame rates but is otherwise the same game.

Touhou Genso Wanderer: Reloaded (PC, 2018*)
This version of the game came out in 2018, anyway.  It's a 2018 localization of a port of an expansion to a 2017 localization of a console port of a 2014 doujin game.  Anyway!  It's Mystery Dungeon meets Touhou.  If you know Touhou and you know Mystery Dungeon games, you pretty much know what to expect.  It's competent at scratching that Mystery Dungeon itch.  Haven't finished it yet, and probably won't for a long time; game's bursting with content.  I played it on PC; it's also available on PS4.

Dragon Quest XI (PS4, 2018)
My impression of what I've played is that it starts off very strong, peaks early, and spends the rest of the game sliding.  I feel like it's pretty much the DQ franchise's answer to FF6, in a lot of ways (and that pattern is one of them).  anyway, it's dragon quest, it's good dragon quest, if you like dragon quest I'd be shocked if you don't like it.  if you don't like dragon quest it probably won't change your mind (but if you liked DQ8 and didn't like other ones, 11 is more like 8 than anything else).

Pretty much see what SnowFire said.  I don't disagree.

Persona 5 (PS3, 2017)
Started this in 2017.  Still didn't finish it in 2018.  Will definitely finish it early in 2019, though.  Game's oozing with style, that much I'll grant.  The plot is timely in a way that makes it frankly uncomfortable.  I definitely get why the game got the kind of hype it did but... frankly, it's overhyped, and Atlus is still getting worse, not better, at the whole "hurr durr gay panic is funny!" thing.  It's overall a game I would recommend but with significant reservations; the gameplay advancements are definitely appreciated, but on the whole, up to this point, I still liked P4 more.

Elminage Gothic (PC, 2012)
Finally made significant progress in this.  Elminage is a series of Japanese clones of classic Wizardry, basically in the mold of Wizardry 5, and Gothic, the fourth game in the Elminage series, is generally the most difficult/punishing/unforgiving of the franchise.  I've gotten about 3/4 of the way through the game.  Not much I can say about this though really: it's a genre I know doesn't appeal to most of the DL at large to begin with and is often frustratingly punishing even by the genre standards.

SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (PS4, 2016)
Another carryover from 2017 which will continue into 2019!  This is a mission-based SRPG of sorts; the missions cover the whole gamut of the Universal Century Gundam timeline from the One Year War through Gundam Unicorn, and while you can do them in any order, the later in the timeline you go, the higher the difficulty goes.  As such the game strongly encourages you to play through the timeline in chronological order.  The missions don't merely cover only the major anime series, either; they also cover a large variety of ancillary/obscure Gundam expanded universe works like the various untranslated PS2 games set in the One Year War and OVAs like MS IGLOO.  As you play through missions, you'll unlock more pilots and increasingly powerful mobile suits for them to use.  Pilots can't die, but destroyed mechs are lost forever, so careful play is rewarded.  I've finally gotten through all of the One Year War stages (which comprise about half of the game's total), so progress is slow but forward~