Author Topic: Movies  (Read 281782 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #2925 on: July 12, 2017, 01:52:28 AM »
So...they ran out of money? That seems unlikely.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: July 23, 2017, 01:27:54 AM »
Dunkirk is intense as fuck. I saw it on IMAX and it isn't just the size of the screen but the sound design that shines through in that format. I'm unsure where it ranks for Nolan films but I think it's pretty high up there.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: July 23, 2017, 04:57:26 AM »
Yeah. The oppression of the action and sound design was almost too overwhelming at times, I can't imagine what it must have been in IMAX. People were in tears despite almost 0 tangible attachment to the characters beyond seeing what they're seeing. I've never seen it.

Nolan was my favourite director as a 20-25 year old guy, having rewatched Memento recently I think it aged very well. It's maybe too convoluted for its own good, like all his movies (except maybe Interstellar and Dunkirk, but Dunkirk still does have the whole week / day / hour thing I didn't really understand until after leaving the theater - I thought the movie just had a random ass timeline)
I expect all his older movies are still good, except for Batnolan 1 and 3
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 05:01:28 AM by Fenrir »

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: July 23, 2017, 01:35:20 PM »
I don't know if it's convenient, but I try to would watch it in IMAX if possible. It's really overwhelming and that is the intent. Each bullet fire makes you jump and the sounds from the bombings just surrounds you. The soundtrack also really works well in that format because you can hear every fucking tick of that watch.

Lately he's made films that have some nakedly emotional moments, and that is true of Dunkirk as well with the arrival of the civilian fleet of boats, lying to Ciaran Hinds about the kid surviving, Tom Hardy shifting to reserve fuels to shoot down the last plane, the commander staying behind to save the French, soldiers talking about home, reading the Churchill speech at the end .

Nolan is really popular among dudes in their 20s, mostly for the Batman films. Begins and Dark Knight are quite good and the most I've ever liked superhero movies but Rises is kind of a turd. The ones that still stand up to scrutiny are still Memento, The Prestige, and Inception (I'd add Dunkirk here). The Prestige is still my low key favorite of his. I also did not hate Interstellar like a lot of people do.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: July 24, 2017, 01:35:35 AM »
I'm weird. I'm not a huge fan of Inception, I think the writing on Dark Knight was weak (saved by amazing performances from Ledger and Eckhart), but think Rises hits some really good notes (but is otherwise dragged kicking and screaming back down to turdville).

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: July 30, 2017, 06:56:50 PM »
I'm disappointed by Baby Driver, it's a stylish movie but not terribly clever or inventive compared to Shaun of the Dead / Hot Fuzz. It's too pulpy

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: August 28, 2017, 02:54:51 PM »
Went and saw Atomic Blonde last night. Good fun, good action scenes, pretty crazy and twisty plot. It was nice to see John Goodman after watching Roseanne the day before.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: October 16, 2017, 01:37:36 AM »
Blade Runner 2049: saw this with the fam yesterday.  It's good!  I really liked the music, which was reminiscent of Hyper Light Drifter, often overwhelming the action with electric, alien sound.  I assumed HLD picked that up from an 80s sci fi movie, but I didn't think the original Blade Runner did that.  Maybe it did and my memory is failing me.   The cinematography uses stark light contrasts and frequently is filtered into one color plus black.  Shots were sometimes uncomfortably far away from the action.  The total effect is oppressive, makes the characters seem like ants.  Good.

What wasn't so good was the villain, who was too much of a baby eater to make an impact.  Is this all this Jared Leto fellow is good for?  He sucked.  I have mixed feelings about the movie's heavy reliance on elements of the original, but the plot overall was solid, if occasionally poorly executed.  When a character has to have flashbacks of what people said so that the audience can connect the right dots, it betrays that the director doesn't have a lot of faith in the plot to make itself known.  The movie does that a couple times, and I wish it hadn't (even though one of the times pointed out a major plot point I hadn't figured out at that point).

Also, the movie went out of its way to demonstrate that in the future women are still treated like garbage, and it was a bit over the top.  Like, point taken!  You can stop throwing women in the refrigerator now!  Also also: don't future police stations have security cameras?  For goodness' sake!

Anyway, good movie, and I'm probably underestimating it because I was neck deep in the Nier: Automata final act when I went to see it.  And Nier:A is a lot less compromising and a lot more impactful than the movie was.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: October 16, 2017, 09:34:40 PM »
I also saw this over the weekend. Broadly the same impressions. Good movie: mostly quality performances, amazing sights and sounds, story hits all the detective beats effectively. The movie has a lot of ideas to throw at you, and not all of them work, but I always respect creative ambition even when it's not 100% successful (we all know I have a soft spot for flawed but adventurous productions). I'd recommend that people see it, just like I'd recommend any science fiction movie that's interested in doing what science fiction is really for, asking searching questions about the nature of humanity, instead of just using futureland as an excuse to blow shit up. Like its predecessor, it deserves a better reception than it got. There's a fair amount, narratively, that could've been patched up better, but most of it holds together on its own without needing to build off of an established property. As far as unnecessary, decades-late sequels go, it is on the better end of the scale (it's no Fury Road, but what else is?)

Blade Runner 2049: saw this with the fam yesterday.  It's good!  I really liked the music, which was reminiscent of Hyper Light Drifter, often overwhelming the action with electric, alien sound.  I assumed HLD picked that up from an 80s sci fi movie, but I didn't think the original Blade Runner did that.  Maybe it did and my memory is failing me.

2049 pays dutiful homage to the venerable Vangelis soundtrack on more than one occasion, but it is also doing its own thing. The descent into oppressive noise is its main original contribution, and this can be extremely claustrophobic and effective with theater surround sound blasting it at you. Prime example: the scene where the guy finds the thing (you know the one). It just feels like someone's world has been pulled out from under them. Sound team did a man's job, sir.

And yeah, movie looks amazing, brilliant visual stylist director checking in. There is some straight-up Drakengard scenery happening later on. Who builds a city out of giant naked lady statues? Yes, I'm spoiler-tagging scenery, because it's disarming enough when it happens that I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

What wasn't so good was the villain, who was too much of a baby eater to make an impact.  Is this all this Jared Leto fellow is good for?

Pretty much. I think the issue was more with the philosophy of the character as written than with the performance, though. One thing I did like about him: just how off he was, visually, while interacting with anyone else. It's the eyes. Not the weird sheen they have to them, but the way he never seems to be looking directly at whoever he's talking to. Eventually you realize, oh, he's blind, and those technoglobule drones that float around his office making alien dolphin noises are how he sees. I appreciate it when a movie lets you pick up on your own details that are not entirely obvious, but still fairly apparent when you think about it for a minute, without taking time to exposit them at you. (As you pointed out, this narrative is not always that considerate elsewhere.)

I don't consider him the villain, though, at least not anymore than Tyrell was in the original movie. The antagonist of importance to the narrative was Luv. She gets way more screentime and takes an active role in ruining things for, well, pretty much the entire rest of the cast. There's probably something being said in the fact that the movie's most eager killer also cries the most, but I dunno what exactly. Compare with Roy in the original film: the replicant with observable motives is the protagonist's opposing force, not their creator who just wants to make a buck (or uh EXPAND THE LANDMASS through slavery).

Also also: don't future police stations have security cameras?

A thought that I had while watching this movie.

I think the main sticking point is just: did it absolutely have to tie in directly to people and events from the original Blade Runner? And the answer on a production level is probably, "Yeah, otherwise people wouldn't be suitably nostalgic." The movie's smart enough that I don't think having to pay homage totally derails the narrative or proves an irredeemably compromising distraction, but I also think the story could've stood on its own without ever providing a direct connection to the original movie, and maybe have been better for it. Harrison Ford feels like he belongs here, though. This didn't feel true when he had to come back for Star Wars. That felt phoned-in to me, but Deckard looks, talks, and even moves like a broken old man who goes on living only because he doesn't know how to do anything else. It helps the last third of the movie land successfully when the "Look, it's a sequel!" arc could've proven terminal. The only time this aspect of the movie proved too intrusive for me was when Leto floated the whole "Deckard, maybe you're a replicant too because that was THE PLAN ALL ALONG," theory, because just no, god no, okay? I don't care how much Ridley Scott likes to tell people these days (unless he changed his mind again, who knows) that Deckard was always meant to be a replicant. The idea makes no sense, and the suggestion was only ever of value in the original film as a means of making you question whether the hunter was actually any more human than the hunted.

The police chief's relationship with our totally not Kafakesque protagonist Agent K* is so weird. It reminds me of this bit from Top Ten, when a woman admits that her old robotic servant was the best confidant she ever had. The implication is the same: because he's property and therefore subhuman, I know he'll never betray me, so I can feel confident communicating in a more direct way than I would feel comfortable doing with an actual human.

(*Jesus, someone even calls him Joe)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: October 17, 2017, 04:10:49 AM »
Harrison Ford feels like he belongs here, though. This didn't feel true when he had to come back for Star Wars.

Agreed on both counts

The police chief's relationship with our totally not Kafakesque protagonist Agent K* is so weird. It reminds me of this bit from Top Ten, when a woman admits that her old robotic servant was the best confidant she ever had.

The police stuff in the movie also gave me a Top Ten vibe, but for me it was the obvious n-word stand-in racial epithet. (in Top 10 they call robots "clickers." subtle it ain't.)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: November 05, 2017, 11:44:12 PM »
Ragnarok:  Fucking great.  They went the full comedy route and it works.  It really works.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: November 06, 2017, 05:59:01 AM »
Ragnarok:  Pretty great.    Definitely worth watching.  The comedy was spot on, but the dramatic parts felt really flat.  Hela was a bore.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: November 06, 2017, 10:23:57 AM »
"Why are you handing me the melt stick? He just interrupted me. That isn't a capital offense."

The middle two-thirds or so of the movie when they're on trash planet is very entertaining. I don't think the movie ever sold me on caring about the Asgard bookends, but it's fun as long as it's committed to going full Kirby and being as outlandish as possible. There's a gruesome execution which is played almost entirely for laughs, which is a thing, let's just call it a weird thing, but I guess Jeff Goldblum had to do something awful to ground the mostly buffoonish facade of his dictator character. This is quite possibly the ugliest alien planet yet designed by humans, but it was obviously on purpose (Thor even comments on it). I guess it just makes me smile that bizarre little corners of the Marvel universe like this can now be the centerpiece of a movie.

Rock dude stole the show anytime he said anything.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: November 06, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »
So one other thing I noticed in the movie is that the music where the title appears in the beginning sounded like they were referencing this melody.  To me it did, at least.  I hope it's true because it would be awesome.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: November 06, 2017, 08:41:57 PM »
It would be awesome, but I'd be very surprised.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: November 07, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: November 08, 2017, 05:49:09 AM »
Ragnarok was great. I'll give Marvel this one. I agree in that a lot (but not all) the dramatic beats fell flat, but I actually rather liked Hela. Not sure if just really low bar for Marvel villains though.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: November 08, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »
I just liked her outrageous headdress, which advertised more style than she generally conveyed in character.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: November 08, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
Agreed on the headdress...thing.  I thought the weakness with her was basically that she has a point about Odin and the history of Valhalla aaaaaaand it’s not resolved or even reckoned with in any meaningful way. 

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2944 on: November 08, 2017, 07:30:48 PM »
"Burn it all down" is about as reckoned as you get methinks.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: November 09, 2017, 02:10:28 AM »
You have a point, Hela, but you're also awful so who cares? is not exactly what I would call reckoning.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: November 09, 2017, 02:15:44 AM »
Agreed on the headdress...thing.  I thought the weakness with her was basically that she has a point about Odin and the history of Valhalla aaaaaaand it’s not resolved or even reckoned with in any meaningful way.

Agreed. She has style, Kate Blanchett gives her charisma, they establish her as a genuine threat pretty well. Her first scenes are great! Dagger spam pretty awesome. Her motivations are pretty valid. After that, yeah. They just... don't use her in any meaningful way. But at least she had better screen presence than pretty much 90% of other Marvel villains.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:18:09 AM by Hunter Sopko »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: November 09, 2017, 02:34:39 AM »
Speaking of villains, Loki was perfect.  I can't think of a single thing I'd want changed about his role.  I'm surprised he wasn't more prominently featured in previews and the like.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: November 09, 2017, 02:56:07 AM »
So one other thing I noticed in the movie is that the music where the title appears in the beginning sounded like they were referencing this melody.  To me it did, at least.  I hope it's true because it would be awesome.

It seemed more like they were just going for the 70's scifi synth type sound.

Also, I couldn't really take the movie seriously when Immigrant Song came on for the fight scenes. Because it was used very prominently in the first Destiny live action commercials, and they are shot in very much the same style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZyQK6kUdWQ 

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: November 09, 2017, 03:41:45 AM »
Immigrant song worked for either of those fight scenes, or for the trailer.  Using it in all three?  Loses its punch that way.