Register

Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 1  (Read 1551 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 1
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song - The D.Va one I don't like at all, while the Dark Souls track doesn't do much for me, but it isn't actively disliked. It feels more like fancy elevator music more than anything else, but good enough to get the win here.
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change - Hakaiwhatever is bland in my opinion, while Life Will Change is...wow okay, BlazBlue wins this round.
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight - New World Order is...I'm not sure what, but it's not to my tastes. The other one's okay in a light pop-ish sort of way. I won't say I quite like it, but I wouldn't moan if it came up on the radio.
XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time - Spark Operational feels like epic music for the sake of epic music, which is inherently anti-epic. It's just trying but not breaking out to me. Oh the other hand, Chrono Trigger. Not a hard choice.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand - I wanted to like Reel Rumble, but it quickly grew old on me. I'd hate to have to listen to it even remotely often in a game, its charm vanished about a minute in. Dunno why. On the other hand, the singer in God Hand is a huge no to me.
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny - Both are okay but not great. A coin flip of 5/10s for me, Chrono Cross nudged past. Death by Glamour would've beaten most of the top half of this round, just bad luck for it.
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer - I'll confess, I like the J-Pop track. I think the trick is that with the lyrics being a mystery due to the language barrier, the simple upbeat nature of the music shines. I dunno, I don't like much pop otherwise. Conversely, I'm not the biggest fan of most 'epic' music tracks. Some are good, but most leave me cold. Old Dragonslayer is one of those.
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway - Meh.

Lots of misses this round, don't see most of these going far unless they draw favorably in later rounds.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 12:14:10 AM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song - I could see giong either way based on mood honestly, but Nameless Song feels a bit stronger as a bit of music overall?  Yeah sure.
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change - BlazBlue's whole EPIC INTRO bit kinda works, although they certainly fall into very familiar riffs after that.  Life Will Change is pretty different from a lot of Meguro's other stuff, but I feel like the song itself just kinda has one setting which makes it feel a bit lacking overall?  Like the chorus isn't really any different from the verses, yeah?
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight - Pretty equal in vocal perforamnce I think, but I like the backing music a lot more in the GBF track.
XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time - Kinda a kneejerk on this one.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand - I feel like Shimomura arranged a medley of FFXIII music for this.
I love all of those words but damn man.  Of course God Hand ends with a  cast dance party, why wouldn't it.
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny - Just has a lot more personality.  Shocking I know.
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer- I feel like both of these are just kinda washing over me.  Hello My Friend is a pretty decent anime OP, Old Dragonslayer is a pretty decent final boss theme (not that either is necessarily those things, but that's what they remind me of) without really having quite enough of a hook to keep me here.  Dragonslayer is kinda what I'm feeling at time of writing I guess, but not a huge preference eitehr way here.
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway- Well that in no way fits my conception of what Spyro music would sound like.
Okay so I can kinda see how that works actually, it has a kinda cutesy but also industrial vibe that would work really well for a tech-y level that's also not terribly serious.  Phantasmal Blaze suffers some of the issues that made a lot of Cold Steel's music feel kinda samey, like they said "okay Erebonia is the MILITARY EMPIRE so we have to have a backdrop of stately marches in everything".  But still, the choral vibe is always points for me and there are parts here that have some pull.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 12:55:11 AM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song - One of Sakuraba's best pieces easily. It's quite haunting and highly fitting for the ending of Dark Souls. The other track is pretty good, though not a style I'm fond of (trying to avoid this criticism). I can't say what it does for the game, but it's up against an incredible track so I feel pretty comfortable with this choice. 
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change - I haven't played any BlazBlue games at all, but I do really like the song here. It reminds me a little of Uematsu's more epic tracks. Guitars remind me of Sabbath a little, and I love the flute part that comes in around 4:20. Now, I've actually played P5, and I while I like this track, I have to say I prefer the instrumental variation that plays after Calling Cards in the game. The singer ain't working for me. So I'm giving this one to the first song.
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight  - Don't know either game. First track sounds like something out of Bravely Default; I was quite surprised to see this was an Uematsu track. The second song isn't bad, but I can't help comparing it to Snow Halation, which I've heard a zillion times over the past year thanks to memes. I dunno, I think I prefer the first a little.
XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time - I guess it doesn't help that I don't know the Xcom games. The Xcom song reminds me of the background music in Metal Gear Solid; the melody doesn't strike me. Probably fits the scene it's in. On the other side, we have one of my favorite songs from Chrono Trigger, a song which still amazes me by sounding so alien and atmospheric with a Super Famicom soundfont.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand - I don't know God Hand. The song made me laugh, but I don't think I'd listen to it on purpose. The FFXV song makes me fondly remember one of the only fun experiences in that game.
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny  - Two really fantastic songs from two of my favorite soundtracks. It really comes down to how much I love Mettaton in the end here.
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer - I will gladly take heartwarming jpop over Sakuraba autopiloting.
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway - Don't know either game. The production/sound quality does the Spyro song no favors, but even aside from that, this feels like a stomp to me. The Trails song really gets you pumped.

Technetium43

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 01:42:37 AM »
Heroes of the Storm - D.Va Music vs Dark Souls - Nameless Song: With such drastically different styles it's a little hard to get a handle of which I 'like' more given my constantly changing tastes in music, but Nameless Song is strong enough that it shines through.
BlazBlue Central Fiction - HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5 - Life Will Change: For about a minute and thirty seconds I was entirely unimpressed by HAKAISHIN, but it absolutely rocks when it hits its stride. Life Will Change jams all the way through, but never quite hits that level of interesting enough to really catch my attention. Still quite close, for me, but I'll give it to the one I hadn't heard before.
Granblue Fantasy - New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters - Twilight: And this is where my personal bias comes in hard... I don't like about 90% of JPop. When it's good, it's good, but otherwise it doesn't grab me and at times actively grates. Twilight is relatively inoffensive, but I actively enjoy New World Order.
XCom 2 - SPARK Operational vs Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time: The XCom song has a fairly nice instrumentation, and I like the overall mood it creates, but it's completely blown out of the water by Corridors of Time. Superb instrumentation given the limitations, and evokes an incredibly unique mood.

Final Fantasy XV - Reel Rumble vs God Hand - God Hand: Don't really have much to say about this one. Reel Rumble basically does nothing for me, while God Hand at least jams pretty well, and is listenable.
Undertale - Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross - Fate, God of Destiny: Another victim of my personal tastes, given that I will usually go for the music that jams the hardest. And if there's one thing Death by Glamour is, it's jammin'. The Chrono Cross song is quite nice though, and would probably win against a lot of other things.
Tokyo 7th Sisters - Hello... My Friend vs Dark Souls 2 - Old Dragonslayer: Again, not a fan of JPop. And, I will admit, I'm definitely a sucker for 'epic' music if nothing else stands out.
Trails of Cold Steel II - Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon - Harbor Speedway: Gonna give this one to nostalgia. Phantasmal Blaze, while pretty cool, evokes pretty much no emotion in me, but I like industrial-esque vibes, and aforementioned nostalgia tips the Spyro song in favor for me.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 02:29:16 AM »
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight  - Don't know either game. First track sounds like something out of Bravely Default; I was quite surprised to see this was an Uematsu track. The second song isn't bad, but I can't help comparing it to Snow Halation, which I've heard a zillion times over the past year thanks to memes. I dunno, I think I prefer the first a little.

New World Order is not by Uemtasu.
It is done by Uematsu's buddy Narita.

Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song
Pure favoritism here. Sakuraba not sucking for once and did not use synth!? Perfect!

BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change
Supporting my nom here. And my opinion on Meguro's Persona tracks were never that high.

Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight
Same, supporting my noms here.

XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time
And I'll let my nostalgia take the lead here.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand
No, not Reel Rumble, NO!
At least God Hand is fun for what it is.

Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny
Mettaton's theme in general had not impressed me much? All of them gave me the impression that they lack one last push or something.

Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer
Neither track does much for me here. I'll just give it to the game I am more familiar with.

Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway
There were already two arrangements of Final Choice before this, and I thought I won't be phased by any of its arranges at all as I've heard it enough...
And then when I decided to turn off my game when I arrive into the Blaze Demon Castle for the first time to save the dungeon for tomorrow, I head this. And I can't turn off the game anymore, therefore was forced to went through a sleepless night.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:14:11 AM by Niu »

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 04:40:20 AM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song: Nameless Song sounds kind of lethargic.  This isn't a bad thing; I nommed a number of lethargic tracks myself.  Rationally, I would be inclined to like it.  Shocked myself by voting for the other option and not really sure why.
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change: I have no words to describe my preference here.
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight: An easy choice for me.  Not caring for J-pop (or K-pop, can't tell a difference) is a factor here.
XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time  XCom piece sounds like it would be right at home in a Front Mission game.  Decent piece worth listening to for 3 minutes.  But Corridors of Time is in a whole different league.  Hey, never claimed to be fair and unbiased here.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand  held my attention better and got a laugh from me with the ridiculous lyrics.  Reel Rumble has that classical music feel to it (for me classical music lulls me to sleep).  I'll admit I lost interest after the first minute and only pushed on longer because of this contest.
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny  Both are new to me.  "Fate" made the stronger impression.
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer : Anticipated voting this way even before listening to the tracks given my distaste for J-pop.  Even after listening to each, felt kind of "meh" on both fronts so personal bias decides it for me.
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway   Haven't played either so going in completely blind on both.  I made a mental connection of the Spyro track to Mario Kart before I listened to it and after hearing it, I still think of it as a Sonic track mixed in with Mario Kart.   I do enjoy the music from both but eh, Phantasmal Blaze blew it away in quality in my subjective view.  Even with no context, I lost track of time while it was running.

Favorite new piece: Phantasmal Blaze
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:20:59 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 06:06:42 AM »

Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 07:32:34 AM »
Forgive me, Emi Evans.  Nameless Song is just a little TOO laid back (although I'm sure it's fine in context), while retro beeps are just...  fun.  (For all that HotS client music is only vaguely sorta in-game music, but eh, whatever, equivalent to opening movie of normal games I guess).
Honestly I like the vanilla version of the Phantom Thieves theme more than the sung version, but it's still fine (if this version loops a little long, cutting it to 2 minutes would be just as good or better).  HAKAISHIN, though...  what?  I'm disappointed.  BlazBlue series has some great music and that was just a miss for me.  Showed some occasional promise then forgot to get to the awesome part.
Generic J-Pop vs. something pretty cool.  More American songs should talk about Destiny's pulsing fragments and souls rising to a new dimension.
I like both, but sure, nostalgia nod.

Okay God Hand is supremely silly, but fishing in FF15 is EPIC.  The fact it's brutally hard helps the effect, too.  I won't pretend I don't appreciate the ball buster, tho.  (And Mersenne Twister did a good job on generating the random numbers, I have to say.)
It's time for cooking with a killer robot!  By which I mean FATE which is a killer robot.  But with less cooking.    Unfortunate.  Mitsuda triumphs over fun.
I dunno.  I like J-Pop, but Tokyo 7th Sisters isn't quite doing it for me.
Phantasmal Blaze is p. awesome, definitely one of my favorite pieces from the CS2 soundtrack, I'd vote it over everything in this pool (except maybe Corridors of Time if I'm feeling particularly nostalgic).  That said, Harbor Speedway is pretty rad!  It is not at all what I expected, but it's got a neat vibe.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song - I guess? I fail to have strong opinions on this one.
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change - One of my favorite P5 songs, and P5 is one of my favorite soundtracks in a long time. HAKAISHIN is a great song though.
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight - Again failing to have strong opinions. NWO is a bit better I suppose?
XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time - The XCom music is alright, but different tiers of good here.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand - I don't think I'll vote for it again, but it caught me in a mood for silly stuff I suppose.
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny  - I think I may be tiebreaking just for the one with the better name. <_<;
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer  - Dragonslayer is epic sounding, sure, but doesn't feel like it goes much of anywhere.
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway - Nostaligia is a thing. Listening to this got me thinking about playing the Spyro skateboard levels and how much fun that was.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 05:26:28 PM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song - Nameless Song is probably a good insomnia cure but at least it doesn't inspire active dislike.
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change - Persona vocal tracks continue with their trend of doing nothing for me.  I wouldn't call the BB track great or anything since it takes over a minute to actually start, but sure, enough to beat insufficiently rocking Persona music.
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight - Good vs. incredibly generic j-pop
XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time - The XCOM track is decent background music but you kind of wish it actually went somewhere if you're actively listening to it.  I'm not even that big on CT music and this still isn't that hard a vote.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand - Sure, I'll go with the amusing parody end credits song over EPIC FISHING MUSIC
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny - Pretty decent and fun vs. dull and bland background music.
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer - Generic j-pop vs. Sakuraba autopiloting, coin says generic j-pop
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway - I wouldn't call Phantasmal Blaze one of the greats but the Spyro track does nothing for me.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 05:57:32 PM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song - Never played either game, but Nameless Song left more of an impact on me.
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change -  HAKAISHIN had a rather slow build up, but I prefer the main song to to Life Will Change.
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight - The instrumentation felt more solid with New World Order if you ask me.
XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time - Not a fan of either song, but I'll go with the Corridors of Time as the melody builds up a little faster. It also helps how I've actually played Chrono Trigger.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand - The lyrics killed God Hand for me. Reel Rumble sounds decent, but I could imagine it growing old quickly.
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny - God of Destiny isn't a bad song, but it's competing against one of Undertale's strongest pieces. Considering how Death by Glamour is in a soundtrack full of great songs, that's quite an accomplishment.
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer - Didn't care much for either, but Hello..my friend has some more energy to it as opposed to a generic 'epic' piece.
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway - Both are pretty good, but Harbor Speedway coming from a game I've actually played gives it the edge for me. It also helps how it works well in the levels it plays in.

Welp, this has made me realise how little I've played in the way of video games.

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 05:58:21 PM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song - I like the choir of Nameless Song but the rest is apathy inducing.
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change - I dislike the lyrics for Life Will Change more than I dislike the long build up for HAKAISHIN.
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight - The opening instrumentals for the former are pretty neat.
XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time - Spark Operational vs one of the most over loved gaming songs. I'm going to hum the latter quicker than I will the former.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand - I've never played FFXV, but I hear the song makes fishing pretty intensive.
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny - Death by Glamour is badass, Fate, God of Destiny is just okay.
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer - Both are apathy inducing. I think I'll go with the latter as I find the vocals in Hello... my friend to be intrusive.
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway - Phantasmal Blaze is fine, but I'm giving the point to Harbor Speedway due to fanboy reasons.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 12:58:03 AM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song - For the style, I feel Dva Music doesn't quite do as much as I would like, kinda shows up, makes its statement, then doesn't go anywhere.

BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change - Hakaishin's pretty sweet, but I dig Life Will Change more.

Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight - I wonder if I picked the right t7s songs?  Not the most creative song but I think it showcases some great singing.

XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time - neither really grabs me but I like the idiosyncratic style of the latter

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand - God Hand helps me work out my stress.  Reel Rumble's pretty cool tho!

Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny - Death by Glamour is one of the very coolest tracks in Undertale in terms of how it uses motifs from other songs.

Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer - The old dragonslayer fight took me a bunch of tries. why do I have no recollection of is music?  Anyway, that's pretty sweet, but I like my nom better.

Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway - This was a tough matchup to decide on - they're both pretty sweet in their own ways. The former goes places, and the latter has a lot of personality.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 11:30:50 PM »
Damn, of course I'm out of the country to provide comments for me noms and change them before this starts!  Oh well, I'll add as I go along:

Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song - Yeah, I...both are very different, but I don't really like the D.Va song that much.  Nameless Song has violin, and violin wins. 
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change - Context for Life Will Change I think edges it to the top.  It plays for all the big determination parts of the game, although I think the instrumental version may actually win here (it's overall a bit better, I think).  BlazBlue's song isn't bad, but takes a bit to get going, and isn't anything special to me.
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight - I...don't think this is even close.
XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time - Not true X-Com, therefore loses.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand - Just...so much more fitting and awesome.  It feels right to have the God Hand track play, whereas Reel Rumble is...sometimes too jarring. 
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny - I like Death by Glamour enough, but I really do love Fate.  That Marimba...
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer - I just do not like the Tokyo 7th Sisters music, apparently.
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway - This is...very easy.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 01:02:13 AM »
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change - Sorry, I literally don't understand how anyone can like that Blazblue song.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble
vs God Hand- God Hand
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny - I think almost any other CC song could have won this.

I will get to the others later.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 02:39:09 AM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song: "What even happened in that game I just played?" > "What did I even just listen to?"
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change: Better bassline.
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight: Lite rock > J-pop, I guess. Duets are nice for variety at least.
XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time: Something pretty okay vs. one of the finest musical experiences I've encountered in a game.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand: I give Reel Rumble points for being super dramatic fishing music, but God Hand is too cheesy to lose.
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny: When the bass kicks in a minute in. Yeah.
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer: TKS not really reaching me. Old Dragonslayer isn't amazing, but it's decent enough (and way better than most of the sludge that filled DS2's OST). Also, 7/8 time. Always a plus.
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway: This feels like the next evolutionary step from the Sonic 2 soundtrack. And that's nice.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 01:35:31 PM by El Cideon »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 10:54:03 AM »
These are both sorta okay.  Nameless Song plays to my biases a bit more.
Didn't know Life Will Change had a vocal version because I'm not that far into the game (spoilers!!).  This version is solid too.  HAKAISHIN is good, but doesn't win out here.
I like both of these, but I put New World Order on my list for a good reason.
Spark Operational is pretty good but this is an unfortunate match.

God Hand is amusing, but Reel Rumble is actual musical genius.  It constantly being unpredictable and keeping you off balance has got to be intentional.  Perfectly fits the mood of trying to catch that damn fish.
The beginning of Death by Glamour is extremely good.  I really love the layering going on there.  The rest of the song's solid too but not anything special.  Fate, God of Destiny... I actually don't remember this song.  It's pretty good though!  Not good enough, sadly.
Having trouble forming an opinion on either of these.  Might take another listen later but think I'm going with this for now.
I was pleasantly surprised by both of these, but much more so by Phantasmal Blaze.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 10:23:19 PM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music  vs  Dark Souls- Nameless Song - I'm not as enamoured with Nameless Song as others, but D.Va tries to mix way too many styles and sounds like a song in a blender.
 BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN  vs  Persona 5- Life Will Change - Hakaishin is okay once it gets going, but it feels like it has two extended intros that go on way too long. LWC fluctuates as my favorite P5 track.
 Granblue Fantasy- New World Order  vs  Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight - I like what the Granblue track does, not so much the same with the other.
 XCom 2- Spark Operational  vs  Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time - XCom is a good atmosphere/tension building action stuff, but nostalgia+still a somewhat unique sound beats it.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble  vs  God Hand- God Hand - Na na na na na na na na FISHING
 Undertale- Death by Glamour  vs  Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny - I confess I actually like Smooth McGroove's version of DbG better, but this is enough to beat the CC track.
 Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs  Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer - No vote. I don't really like either one.
 Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze  vs  Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway - Spyro's is kinda cool, but going with the one I obviously favor.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 12:34:24 PM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music  vs  Dark Souls- Nameless Song
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN  vs  Persona 5- Life Will Change
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order  vs  Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight
XCom 2- Spark Operational  vs  Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble  vs  God Hand- God Hand
Undertale- Death by Glamour  vs  Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs  Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze  vs  Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »
Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song I like neither, I just dislike this one less.
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN vs Persona 5- Life Will Change I like neither, I just dislike this one less.
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight Eh. The first one's harmony is good. I find tracks with lyrics to be super contentious and will generally never pick a track with lyrics over one without. But both had them this time so the competition wasn't quite uneven, except they move at two totally different paces.
XCom 2- Spark Operational vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time No argument. Spark Operational takes way too long to gain my interest, sounds like a movie trailer that never ends.

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble vs God Hand- God Hand I like neither, I just dislike this one less.
Undertale- Death by Glamour vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny Undertale gets the slow burn of tedious overcoming done far better.
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer Okay, uneven competition here too but I suppose I like that DS2 isn't so unbroken. Later part of the song makes up for boring beginning.
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway  As much as I love Spyro, this isn't the track that sets the best mood standalone.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »

Heroes of the Storm- Dva Music- iii vs Dark Souls- Nameless Song- iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
BlazBlue Central Fiction- HAKAISHIN- iiiiiiiiiii vs Persona 5- Life Will Change - iiiiiiiii
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order- iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii vs Tokyo 7th Sisters- Twilight - ii
XCom 2- Spark Operational- i vs Chrono Trigger- Corridors of Time - iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Final Fantasy XV- Reel Rumble- iiiiiiiiii vs God Hand- God Hand - iiiiiiiiii [07:54] <CKDLbot> 10,0CmdrKing rolled :2,0 1d2 --> 3,0[ 1d2=2 ]4,0{2}
Undertale- Death by Glamour- iiiiiiiiiiiiii vs Chrono Cross- Fate, God of Destiny - iiiiii
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Hello… my friend- iiiiiiii vs Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer - iiiiiiiiii
Trails of Cold Steel II- Phantasmal Blaze- iiiiiiiiiiiiii vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Harbor Speedway - iiiiii