Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 15  (Read 1801 times)

Technetium43

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 15
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:20:37 PM »
Undertale- Dummy! vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- Dracula’s Castle: Dummy! is a strong candidate for one of my favorite Undertale songs overall, which is not an easy thing to be.
Shadow of the Colossus- Demise of the Ritual vs No More Heroes 2- Philistine: Not exactly the hugest fan, but this is one of the completely non-interesting SotC songs to me, so it's good enough.
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd) vs  Bastion- Settling Sail, Coming Home: If the Bastion song was either Build That Wall or Mother, I'm Here on their own, this would've been a stomp even though I REALLY like the ZE song, but I'm just not a big fan of the layered vocals here. Actually, MOST of Bastion's soundtrack would've probably won here, but that's all personal bias. >_>
Metal Gear Solid 2- Main Theme vs SaGa Frontier- Last Battle T260G: Jams much harder. Much, much harder.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Metal vs  Fire Emblem Fates- Thorn In You: Didn't we just have this three pools ago? Oh wait no, that was ANOTHER song from the same battle with the same godawful voice synth. My bad. Generic FE music easily takes it.
Persona 3- The Battle for Everyone’s Souls vs Final Fantasy XIII- Fang’s Theme: This was actually VERY close, as Fang's Theme absolutely plays to my tastes, but Battle for Everyone's Souls is just... well, much cooler, and plays to my tastes in an entirely different direction.
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King- Bronze Jam vs Caligula- Distorted Happiness: Utter stomp.
Ducktales Remastered- Mount Vesuvius Theme vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Crisis: And here we have arguably one of my favorite songs in general, let alone in video games. Easy vote, own nom bias and all.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 12:38:23 PM »
Undertale- Dummy!  vs  Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- Dracula’s Castle
Shadow of the Colossus- Demise of the Ritual  vs  No More Heroes 2- Philistine
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd)  vs   Bastion- Settling Sail, Coming Home
Metal Gear Solid 2- Main Theme  vs  SaGa Frontier- Last Battle T260G

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Metal  vs   Fire Emblem Fates- Thorn In You (Working, non-extended link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQD11drYtpE)
Persona 3- The Battle for Everyone’s Souls  vs  Final Fantasy XIII- Fang’s Theme
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King- Bronze Jam  vs  Caligula- Distorted Happiness
Ducktales Remastered- Mount Vesuvius Theme  vs  Xenoblade Chronicles- Crisis

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 05:15:44 PM »
Undertale- Dummy! vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- Dracula’s Castle - Dracula's Castle is a good song, but Dummy! is much more fun.
Shadow of the Colossus- Demise of the Ritual vs No More Heroes 2- Philistine - No vote, *flush* both of them.
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd) vs  Bastion- Settling Sail, Coming Home - I guess. Not impressed by Setting Sail, but it's not quite no vote territory. Kinda droning though, but more interesting than the ZTD track.
Metal Gear Solid 2- Main Theme vs SaGa Frontier- Last Battle T260G - MGS2 song would beat anything in this half except T260G or Dummy!. Alas.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Metal vs  Fire Emblem Fates- Thorn In You - T2's ending theme may have left me in a mood for robot metal.
Persona 3- The Battle for Everyone’s Souls vs Final Fantasy XIII- Fang’s Theme
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King- Bronze Jam vs Caligula- Distorted Happiness - Bronze Jam is less jamming than advertised. Distorted Happiness doesn't quiiiiite hit the too discordant for me line, but pushes right up against it.
Ducktales Remastered- Mount Vesuvius Theme vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Crisis - Digging the 8 bit track a little more rn.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 03:55:54 AM »
Undertale- Dummy! vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- Dracula’s Castle  Familiarity, nostalgia, and liking the genre better all in one.  Yes, I feels this jams better.
Shadow of the Colossus- Demise of the Ritual vs No More Heroes 2- Philistine  SotC gets its chance to shine when the other piece invokes active dislike for me.
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd) vs  Bastion- Settling Sail, Coming Home  Quirky.  Also, the vocals in Setting Sail were a turnoff for me.
Metal Gear Solid 2- Main Theme vs SaGa Frontier- Last Battle T260G  MGS2 theme sounds like something out of an Ace Combat work to the point that listening to a mislabeled sound file would fool me.  Not bad.  Other piece has a similarity in taking a bit to get going.  It does get going sooner.  Somewhat close, feeling T260G more this time.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Metal vs  Fire Emblem Fates- Thorn In You  I laughed at the goofiness of Heavensword- Metal; liked it more than I thought I would.  Still prefer Thorn in You, as generic as it may be, still decent.
Persona 3- The Battle for Everyone’s Souls vs Final Fantasy XIII- Fang’s Theme  Fang's theme sound like it would be right at home as the background track for some Disney live-action movie.  Nothing wrong with that; it's decent.  I just found the other a more interesting listen.
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King- Bronze Jam vs Caligula- Distorted Happiness  Don't care for either but one is "meh" while the other is "active dislike" so there's a wide margin there.
Ducktales Remastered- Mount Vesuvius Theme vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Crisis    It came off as a bit of a surprise that Vesuvius theme just didn't appeal to me even though it's close in style to about a third of my own noms.

Favorite "new" piece: Demise of the Ritual  There are parts of Battle for Everyone's Souls I like better but other parts feel like filler which tips the choice of favorite for me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:05:41 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 10:39:50 PM »
Undertale- Dummy! vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- Dracula’s Castle
Shadow of the Colossus- Demise of the Ritual vs No More Heroes 2- Philistine

Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd) vs  Bastion- Setting Sail, Coming Home
I like both of these.  Setting Sail is kinda weird since it's a mash-up of two songs, but sure.
It's too bad, Hosoe did some nice work in the Zero Escape series that hopefully helped redeem him from the sins of Second Miltia in XS2.
Metal Gear Solid 2- Main Theme vs SaGa Frontier- Last Battle T260G

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Metal vs  Fire Emblem Fates- Thorn In You
I might possibly have listened to Thorn in You - well, the Roar / battle version - on extended repeat while coding before.  Maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUm8JBNZWTs  for a link to the Roar version.
While I'm a bit on the BfES antihype train, I also soured a bit on Fang's Theme compared to the rest of the FF13 soundtrack, so sure.

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King- Bronze Jam vs Caligula- Distorted Happiness
Ducktales Remastered- Mount Vesuvius Theme vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Crisis

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 10:05:23 PM »
Undertale- Dummy! vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- Dracula’s Castle - Classic AF
Shadow of the Colossus- Demise of the Ritual vs No More Heroes 2- Philistine - As good of a set piece as the former is, I have a great memory of the latter, just makes me smile
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd) vs  Bastion- Settling Sail, Coming Home - Adorable.  Bastion's music is good, but I just love those chimes
Metal Gear Solid 2- Main Theme vs SaGa Frontier- Last Battle T260G - SaGa Frontier music never impressed me much, beyond a few songs

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Metal vs  Fire Emblem Fates- Thorn In You - Not huge on either, but man, FF14 music has not been impressing me
Persona 3- The Battle for Everyone’s Souls vs Final Fantasy XIII- Fang’s Theme - There is no contest.  Nostalgiagasm + awesome fanservice when that Velvet Room theme plays
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King- Bronze Jam vs Caligula- Distorted Happiness - Takes a bit to build up, but is awesome
Ducktales Remastered- Mount Vesuvius Theme vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Crisis - Eh...they'll both die next, neither I find are great
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 05:13:20 PM »
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd) vs  Bastion- Settling Sail, Coming Home

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King- Bronze Jam vs Caligula- Distorted Happiness

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 10:24:50 PM »
Undertale- Dummy! vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- Dracula’s Castle - Not really feeling Dummy!
Shadow of the Colossus- Demise of the Ritual vs No More Heroes 2- Philistine - the NMH track was certainly a thing I listened to
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd) vs  Bastion- Settling Sail, Coming Home - solid track with okayish vocals vs. insomnia cure
Metal Gear Solid 2- Main Theme vs SaGa Frontier- Last Battle T260G - yeah last battle ver. smashcan is not one of the stronger SaGa Frontier tracks in my opinion

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Metal vs Fire Emblem Fates- Thorn In You - I guess?
Persona 3- The Battle for Everyone’s Souls vs Final Fantasy XIII- Fang’s Theme - okay Disney action-adventure music is not what I expected from FF13's soundtrack.  Nothing wrong with it, just outclassed by the only good piece of P3 music.
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King- Bronze Jam vs Caligula- Distorted Happiness - well if I have to vote for one of these scrubs...
Ducktales Remastered- Mount Vesuvius Theme vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Crisis - Crisis is not my cup of tea at all.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd) vs  Bastion- Settling Sail, Coming Home - One of those songs that makes you remember the worst things that happened in the game and out right heart crunches you. Exactly what an effective game BGM should do.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 10:55:13 PM »
Undertale- Dummy! vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- Dracula’s Castle: Dummy has more going on than I remembered from in-game, but is still much less my style.
Shadow of the Colossus- Demise of the Ritual vs No More Heroes 2- Philistine: Both good, own nom bias, fuck dicebots, that is all.
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd) vs Bastion- Settling Sail, Coming Home: Duet seals it.
Metal Gear Solid 2- Main Theme vs SaGa Frontier- Last Battle T260G. This is tough. Gregson-Williams effect is in play, but I like T260G a lot as a boss theme. I flipped a coin and then decided to ignore it. NO FUTURE.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Metal vs  Fire Emblem Fates- Thorn In You: Is more metal. Obviously?
Persona 3- The Battle for Everyone’s Souls vs Final Fantasy XIII- Fang’s Theme: I'm squarely in the "Dropping a Battle for Everyone's Souls on me is cheating" camp.
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King- Bronze Jam vs Caligula- Distorted Happiness: Well, I didn't exactly like either of them, but whatever I was expecting from Bronze Jam, that wasn't it, so points for being weird.
Ducktales Remastered- Mount Vesuvius Theme vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Crisis: Not really feeling the bit tunes today.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:23:26 AM by El Cideon »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 10:49:28 PM »
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd) vs  Bastion- Settling Sail, Coming Home

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Metal vs  Fire Emblem Fates- Thorn In You - metal is so damn good
Persona 3- The Battle for Everyone’s Souls vs Final Fantasy XIII- Fang’s Theme - this one hurt a little
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King- Bronze Jam vs Caligula- Distorted Happiness  - surprisingly close
Ducktales Remastered- Mount Vesuvius Theme vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Crisis - don't like Crisis as much as a lot of other XBC intense stuffs
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:46:58 AM by Talaysen »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 08:32:52 PM »
Undertale- Dummy!- iii vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- Dracula’s Castle - iiiiiiiii
Shadow of the Colossus- Demise of the Ritual- iiiii vs No More Heroes 2- Philistine - iiiiii
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma- Blue Bird Lamentation (2nd)- iiiii vs  Bastion- Settling Sail, Coming Home - iiiiiii
Metal Gear Solid 2- Main Theme- iiiiiii vs SaGa Frontier- Last Battle T260G - iiiii

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Metal- iiii vs  Fire Emblem Fates- Thorn In You - iiiiiiii
Persona 3- The Battle for Everyone’s Souls- iiiiiiiiiii vs Final Fantasy XIII- Fang’s Theme - i
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King- Bronze Jam- iiii vs Caligula- Distorted Happiness - iiiiiiii
Ducktales Remastered- Mount Vesuvius Theme- iiiiii vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Crisis - iiiiii [15:32] <CKDLbot> 10,0CmdrKing rolled :2,0 1d2 --> 3,0[ 1d2=1 ]4,0{1}
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.