Register

Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 13  (Read 2074 times)

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 13
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:46:37 PM »
Legend of Mana- City of Flickering Destruction vs  Transistor- We All Become  Anti-voting my own nom because it reached top 16 in the last music tourney and I'd like to make way for new blood.
Civilization V- Shoshone Sun Dance ~Pocatello War Theme~ vs NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate  This time, I am feeling this more.
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan- Battlefield: With Eyes Blazing vs Gradius 3 Arcade- Departure for Space  Tried to listen without letting my personal bias get in the way.  With Eyes Blazing never seemed to go anywhere though.  Departure From Space starts stronger though doesn't really have an endpoint.  In game, it serves its purpose to make way for the main part of the stage but has that hanging feeling as standalone.  At least it's done faster.  I'd probably catagorize it as average or mediocre if I didn't have such a fascination with the game's soundtrack.
Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE vs Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me
  More appealing, an easy win.

Bloodborne- Hail the Nightmare vs Dark Souls- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder  No context for both, liked this one more.
Child of Light- Aurora’s Theme vs Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra- Godsibb  No real strong preference here.  Decent though not exceptional on both.  I've heard better melancholy themes in this tourney (as well as outside) so that nudges Aurora's theme down a bit.
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Just a Coffin and an Automaton vs Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~- Einherjar Rubedo  Variety vote.  It didn't make a great first impression but liked it more on a second listen.  I like Just a Coffin slightly more but other factor prevailed.
Final Fantasy VII- One Winged Angel vs Path of Exile- The Grand Arena   One Winged Angel calls to mind rabid FF7 fandom more than anything else for me.  Quite the technical achievement in its time; doesn't make me like it more though.  Grand Arena is interesting and doesn't irritate me which is enough.

Favorite "new' piece: Stand by Me  This field felt mostly decent, inoffensive, background noise.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:09:22 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Technetium43

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 10:42:11 PM »
Legend of Mana- City of Flickering Destruction vs  Transistor- We All Become: Transistor has a good soundtrack. That is all.
Civilization V- Shoshone Sun Dance ~Pocatello War Theme~ vs NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate: The first NieR song to break the pattern of disappointing follow-ups to incredible openings, for me at least. Stomp.
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan- Battlefield: With Eyes Blazing vs Gradius 3 Arcade- Departure for Space: Hmm. Refreshingly cute and nice.
Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE vs Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me: Well this is just mean. I actually really liked the other song.

Bloodborne- Hail the Nightmare vs Dark Souls- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder: Ah, there's the actual good Dark Souls song. Knew it was out there somewhere.
Child of Light- Aurora’s Theme vs Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra- Godsibb: Pretty 50/50 here, I'll go with the one that is less effort to listen to.
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Just a Coffin and an Automaton vs Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~- Einherjar Rubedo: Both fantastic and better than expected, but I'll go with the one that plays more to my personal tastes.
Final Fantasy VII- One Winged Angel vs Path of Exile- The Grand Arena: Classic for a reason.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 12:31:38 AM »
Legend of Mana- City of Flickering Destruction vs Transistor- We All Become - Well either of these lose to Fate to me so I wouldn't bother with a got-in-a-bunch antivote even if I believed in such things.
Civilization V- Shoshone Sun Dance ~Pocatello War Theme~ vs NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan- Battlefield: With Eyes Blazing vs Gradius 3 Arcade- Departure for Space - Not With Eyes Blazing.
Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE vs Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me - There is something about this I find amusing.  Also the Ar nosurge track is something I find completely and utterly awful.

Bloodborne- Hail the Nightmare vs Dark Souls- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder - the bloodborne track sure is background noise alright
Child of Light- Aurora’s Theme vs Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra- Godsibb - Feeling this one a bit more today
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Just a Coffin and an Automaton vs Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~- Einherjar Rubedo - rocks harder
Final Fantasy VII- One Winged Angel vs Path of Exile- The Grand Arena - Grand Arena is some good stuff, and I'm pretty lukewarm on OWA.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:11:55 PM by Random Consonant »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 05:09:22 AM »
Legend of Mana- City of Flickering Destruction  vs   Transistor- We All Become
Civilization V- Shoshone Sun Dance ~Pocatello War Theme~ vs  NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan- Battlefield: With Eyes Blazing  vs  Gradius 3 Arcade- Departure for Space
Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE  vs  Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me

Bloodborne- Hail the Nightmare  vs  Dark Souls- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
Child of Light- Aurora’s Theme  vs  Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra- Godsibb
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Just a Coffin and an Automaton  vs  Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~- Einherjar Rubedo
Final Fantasy VII- One Winged Angel  vs  Path of Exile- The Grand Arena

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 03:16:32 AM »
CK: Seems the copyright strike gremlin got some of the links.
Song of the Ancients: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ady--PNMsfI
Just a Coffin and an Automaton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2rhgILSj4k

Legend of Mana- City of Flickering Destruction vs  Transistor- We All Become
Both are great.  I'm voting for Transistor partially due to City of Flickering Destruction doing well in previous tournaments and new blood favoritism, but it's great.
Civilization V- Shoshone Sun Dance ~Pocatello War Theme~ vs NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate
Well that's an unfortunate matchup for super.  I do like the Shoshone music though.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan- Battlefield: With Eyes Blazing vs Gradius 3 Arcade- Departure for Space
With Eyes Blazing is maybe TOO stressful, but I guess it succeeds at its mission.
Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE vs Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me
EXSPHERE_NOSURGE is acceptable, but doesn't stand out too much from generic Hymnos (like, say, CIEL_N_PROTECT did).

Bloodborne- Hail the Nightmare vs Dark Souls- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
Match of Alex.  Some of the Dark Souls music nom'd has been hit-or-miss for me, but I do like Gwyn's music quite a bit.
Child of Light- Aurora’s Theme vs Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra- Godsibb
Match of SF-bait.  Godsibb is great (Cid, it's the Yuriev fight music, so no robots) but I really like how Aurora's Theme is used in-game and the variations it has.  (This is where I drop off another link to the flute version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJnzWceKHxk .)

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Just a Coffin and an Automaton vs Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~- Einherjar Rubedo
The first minute or so of Coffin is fantastic, but it feels like an opening that's building to something, which never quite arrives.  Still enough to win.  Rubedo is good though, but feels a tad repetitive until the very end around ~2:50.
Final Fantasy VII- One Winged Angel vs Path of Exile- The Grand Arena
Grand Arena is cool though.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 04:17:16 PM »
Legend of Mana- City of Flickering Destruction vs  Transistor- We All Become - Pretty vs Pretty and actually goes somewhere
Civilization V- Shoshone Sun Dance ~Pocatello War Theme~ vs NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate - War Theme's not bad for background music to march troops around to. But Song of the Ancients is really good.
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan- Battlefield: With Eyes Blazing vs Gradius 3 Arcade- Departure for Space - hmmmmm more in a cheerful mood today I think
Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE vs Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me - Own nom bias. Also not discordant noise.

Child of Light- Aurora’s Theme vs Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra- Godsibb - while listening to this, godsibb attempted to hijack my computer and kept playing even after I shut the browser window down. I feel compelled to vote for it out of fear of what might happen if I don't.
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Just a Coffin and an Automaton vs Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~- Einherjar Rubedo
Final Fantasy VII- One Winged Angel vs Path of Exile- The Grand Arena - bells frogs big cherries, peter pan magic cheese SEPHIROTH
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 11:14:58 PM »
Legend of Mana- City of Flickering Destruction vs  Transistor- We All Become - Both are very good and oddly similar in ways.  Transistor is one on my list to play, and right now, it's more of what I wanted to hear, so it wins
Civilization V- Shoshone Sun Dance ~Pocatello War Theme~ vs NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate - Hey, a Nier song I've liked so far
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan- Battlefield: With Eyes Blazing vs Gradius 3 Arcade- Departure for Space - The former is too much cacophony for me
Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE vs Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me - This...feels so, so weird.  Almost meta

Bloodborne- Hail the Nightmare vs Dark Souls- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder - Both good in similar and different ways, like the piano in this one more
Child of Light- Aurora’s Theme vs Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra- Godsibb - An actually excellent final battle theme.  Not the best boss, but a great song.  One of the better tracks in the series. 
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Just a Coffin and an Automaton vs Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~- Einherjar Rubedo - Mmm...what Snowfire said
Final Fantasy VII- One Winged Angel vs Path of Exile- The Grand Arena - Mmm...OWA is very good, but I have to agree with a previous comment - it's...there's something about it to me that has worsened.  Like, I hear Godsibb, for instance, and I'm reminded of the battle, as short and pathetic as it was.  OWA almost feels, as I look at the game again, like it's a little out of place at times?  I don't know, maybe it didn't age as well.  It's classic, but I'll vote for the underdog of sorts here.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 12:27:11 AM »
Surprised to see no one remembered where the Godsibb played correctly:
It is the Omega Metempsychosis fight music.

Yuriev has the generic boss theme.
Final battle theme on the other hand is Promised Pain.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 03:20:58 AM »
Civilization V- Shoshone Sun Dance ~Pocatello War Theme~ vs NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate: Bit of a curbstomb for me. Civ music rarely reached above background fluff.
Child of Light- Aurora’s Theme vs Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra- Godsibb: Nobody remembers where Godsibb plays because the fight is a joke mecha boss in a dungeon that has way too many of those. And it's an... okay piece of music but the greater hype really confuses me. Even within XS3, Testament and Battle for Your Soul did a lot more for me.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 09:09:42 AM »
While we are on the topic of Godsibb, here is the live concert version for those who are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrBk3oZ2jc0

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 09:01:42 AM »
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan- Battlefield: With Eyes Blazing vs Gradius 3 Arcade- Departure for Space
Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE vs Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me - Not a big fan of Stand by Me, but as FF15's ending theme... it totally hits Niu's button,. Enough to make me vote against my nom.

Bloodborne- Hail the Nightmare vs Dark Souls- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder - Hatbot is so on purpose.
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Just a Coffin and an Automaton vs Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~- Einherjar Rubedo - Supporting my nom. But how did they translate "Coffin of Book" into "Just a Coffin"?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:23:09 AM by Niu »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 11:43:16 PM »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 04:27:29 AM »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 12:15:04 AM »
Legend of Mana- City of Flickering Destruction vs  Transistor- We All Become: This is rough. Classic vs. cool new thing, both are great. I flipped a coin, Susan B. Anthony said go Shimomura.
Civilization V- Shoshone Sun Dance ~Pocatello War Theme~ vs NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate: Champ powered. Other's neat, though. I should look into more of these themes later.
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan- Battlefield: With Eyes Blazing vs Gradius 3 Arcade- Departure for Space: Decided almost instantly because Eyes Blazing is a mess.
Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE vs Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me: Whereas I find AT music to be weirdly competent while being an ungodly mess. I am deeply amused by the confluence of classic + modern cover + FF harps, though.

Bloodborne- Hail the Nightmare vs Dark Souls- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder: One of Souls' best vs. one of Bloodborne's least. Pretty easy. HtM matters in-game because it's for that rare locale which actually gets background music, but I don't enjoy it out of context.
Child of Light- Aurora’s Theme vs Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra- Godsibb: CoL music is fine in-game, but it doesn't stick with me.
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Just a Coffin and an Automaton vs Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~- Einherjar Rubedo: Is more rawk.
Final Fantasy VII- One Winged Angel vs Path of Exile- The Grand Arena: PoE track didn't grab me at all. One-winged Angel, meanwhile, is not a favorite, but is classic for a reason.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 11:33:10 PM »
Coulda sworn I submitted answers for this already but I guess not.  Here goes:

Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 05:50:21 AM »
Legend of Mana- City of Flickering Destruction  vs   Transistor- We All Become
 Civilization V- Shoshone Sun Dance ~Pocatello War Theme~ vs  NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate
 Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan- Battlefield: With Eyes Blazing  vs  Gradius 3 Arcade- Departure for Space
 Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE  vs  Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me

Bloodborne- Hail the Nightmare  vs  Dark Souls- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
 Child of Light- Aurora’s Theme  vs  Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra- Godsibb
 Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Just a Coffin and an Automaton  vs  Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~- Einherjar Rubedo
 Final Fantasy VII- One Winged Angel  vs  Path of Exile- The Grand Arena

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 07:38:05 PM »
Legend of Mana- City of Flickering Destruction- iiiiiii vs  Transistor- We All Become - iiiiii
Civilization V- Shoshone Sun Dance ~Pocatello War Theme~ vs NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate - iiiiiiiiiiiiii
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan- Battlefield: With Eyes Blazing- iii vs Gradius 3 Arcade- Departure for Space - iiiiiiiii
Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE- ii vs Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me - iiiiiiiiii

Bloodborne- Hail the Nightmare vs Dark Souls- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder - iiiiiiiiiiii
Child of Light- Aurora’s Theme- iiii vs Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra- Godsibb - iiiiiiiii
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Just a Coffin and an Automaton- iiiiiii vs Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~- Einherjar Rubedo - iiiiii
Final Fantasy VII- One Winged Angel- iiiiiii vs Path of Exile- The Grand Arena - iiiiii
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.