Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 12  (Read 1875 times)

Technetium43

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 12
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Locus vs Street Fighter II- Guile’s Theme: Guile's Theme is Guile's Theme, and I actively dislike the voice synth of the FF14 song.
Undertale- Hopes and Dreams vs Final Fantasy XIV- Brute Justice’s Theme: See above.
Deemo- Parallel Universe vs Suikoden III- Mysterious People: Unexpectedly nice. It reminded me of something, but I can't think of what it is.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask- Song of Healing vs Wild ARMs: Alter Code F- Murdering Princess: While I don't exactly dislike Song of Healing, I find the other song more interesting.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix- Flock Step vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Seas- Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze: Very nice sounding, probably my favorite or the Atelier series songs in the tournament so far.
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness vs Final Fantasy XIV- Steel Reason: Speaking of best songs from things that have been nommed heavily, this is ALSO probably my favorite FF14 song.
Little Inferno- Reporting From the Weather Balloon vs  NieR Automata- Wretched Weaponry: Actually, this is probably one of my favorite NieR Automata songs so far as well, I just really like the other one.
NieR- Kainé/Salvation vs Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate- Noble Monster: Partial bias against vocal songs coming into play here, but I also just really like Noble Monster on its own.

Also, the NieR Automata link is broken, here's the one I used.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 02:05:19 AM »
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Locus vs Street Fighter II- Guile’s Theme: Oh fuck you Hatebot, mark 1.
Undertale- Hopes and Dreams vs Final Fantasy XIV- Brute Justice’s Theme: Fuck you Hatebot mark 2.
Deemo- Parallel Universe vs Suikoden III- Mysterious People: This is better than I remember Suikoden music generally being.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask- Song of Healing vs Wild ARMs: Alter Code F- Murdering Princess: Rarely wowed by Zelda music + it's scythegirl.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix- Flock Step vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Seas- Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze: The personal style preference is apparent pretty immediately.
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness vs Final Fantasy XIV- Steel Reason: Wow, fuck you Hatebot mark 3. Too much in this pool shouldn't be round 1 matches for me. Own nom bias, but Toccata is one of the all-time great boss themes.
Little Inferno- Reporting From the Weather Balloon vs NieR Automata- Wretched Weaponry: This is tough. Get to the Choppa is nice, but then there's that Nier moment when the drums show up. Okay, I guess Choppa can have it for getting to the point quicker.
NieR- Kainé/Salvation vs Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate- Noble Monster: I find that Nier music tends to shine more in its more dramatic tracks.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 05:29:02 AM »
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Locus vs Street Fighter II- Guile’s Theme - Alexander has my least favorite battle themes in FF14... but Guile's theme didn't age well on me. Locus take this just by a little.
Undertale- Hopes and Dreams vs Final Fantasy XIV- Brute Justice’s Theme
Deemo- Parallel Universe vs Suikoden III- Mysterious People
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask- Song of Healing vs Wild ARMs: Alter Code F- Murdering Princess

Rhythm Heaven Megamix- Flock Step vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Seas- Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze - This is like, my favorite out of the entirety of Atelier series.
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness vs Final Fantasy XIV- Steel Reason - I'll join the fuck Hatbot heere.
Little Inferno- Reporting From the Weather Balloon vs  NieR Automata- Wretched Weaponry
NieR- Kainé/Salvation vs Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate- Noble Monster - Things could have been different if it is Rain of Light competing instead of Salvation... wait, Rain of Light is not in the game. Never mind.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 05:44:11 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YEI2UUIW-g

I know people hate extend version. But this is Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze in much better sound quality.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 06:45:28 AM »
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Locus vs Street Fighter II- Guile’s Theme - not really digging the vocals on Locus
Undertale- Hopes and Dreams vs Final Fantasy XIV- Brute Justice’s Theme - Well Brute Justice does get points for the 80s mecha parody.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask- Song of Healing vs Wild ARMs: Alter Code F- Murdering Princess - eh

Rhythm Heaven Megamix- Flock Step vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Seas- Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze - Decided within three seconds of listening to the Atelier track.
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness vs Final Fantasy XIV- Steel Reason
Little Inferno- Reporting From the Weather Balloon vs NieR Automata- Wretched Weaponry - both of these are good, rotten luck, this.
NieR- Kainé/Salvation vs Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate- Noble Monster - yep

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Locus vs Street Fighter II- Guile’s Theme
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask- Song of Healing vs Wild ARMs: Alter Code F- Murdering Princess

Rhythm Heaven Megamix- Flock Step vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Seas- Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness vs Final Fantasy XIV- Steel Reason geez, toccata getting dunked round 1? Steel Reason plays too much to my biases though.
Little Inferno- Reporting From the Weather Balloon vs  NieR Automata- Wretched Weaponry
NieR- Kainé/Salvation vs Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate- Noble Monster - WO3 is full of great songs to whack hordes of mooks to, but few that are standout on thier own. This is one of the few imo.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »

Rhythm Heaven Megamix- Flock Step vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Seas- Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness vs Final Fantasy XIV- Steel Reason : Let flow the hated bot's oil!
NieR- Kainé/Salvation vs Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate- Noble Monster

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 01:55:56 AM »
So this is where most of the Final Fantasy 14 noms congregate?  Thanks, Hatbot.   ::)

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Locus vs Street Fighter II- Guile’s Theme  The robot voices so do not appeal to me.
Undertale- Hopes and Dreams vs Final Fantasy XIV- Brute Justice’s Theme  When I'm asking "is it over yet?" and the piece is still at 1:30 in, that's not a favorable sign.  Brute Justice does get better but not enough to surpass Hopes and Dreams.
Deemo- Parallel Universe vs Suikoden III- Mysterious People  Close, decent for different reasons.  Coinflipped though after that, decided that Parallel Universe is slightly stronger as a standalone.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask- Song of Healing vs Wild ARMs: Alter Code F- Murdering Princess  Meh to both.  No vote here.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix- Flock Step vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Seas- Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze  Random underdog vote.  I liked Flying Clouds, Drifting Have.  Solid background piece that drifts past without sticking out, matches the title.  Guess it was just a case of where my mood was at the time to favor peppy.
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness
vs Final Fantasy XIV- Steel Reason  Both seem good at doing what they set out to do.  Close, chose by coinflip.
Little Inferno- Reporting From the Weather Balloon vs  NieR Automata- Wretched Weaponry  Close one, both have qualities i found enjoyable.  Wretched Weaponry has enjoyable instrument work and the vocals mesh well.  Reporting from Weather Balloon has its interesting sound effect additions.  Could go either way, tossing one for what I believe to be the lesser known piece.
NieR- Kainé/Salvation vs Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate- Noble Monster   Decent on both ends; the vocals weren't jiving with me this time.

Favorite "new" piece: Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze  The higher sound quality in Niu's link does make all the difference.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:39:03 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 11:22:31 PM »
I'll finish the rest later.

- This matchup is just rude.
- So's this one.

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness vs Final Fantasy XIV- Steel Reason

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »
Quick votes!

[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 10:50:57 PM »
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Locus vs Street Fighter II- Guile’s Theme - Locus seems... I dunno, droning to me?  Guile's them of course is a legend etc etc etc.
Undertale- Hopes and Dreams vs Final Fantasy XIV- Brute Justice’s Theme - Now Brute Justice is much better.  The electric vocals are kinda a miss for me, but fuck if I don't appreciate going full Mazinger cheese.  Hopes and Dreams still has a slight edge I think (mostly Brute Justice doesn't use it's loop quite right is the best way I can do it) but certainly worthy.
Deemo- Parallel Universe vs Suikoden III- Mysterious People - Ohh, the Alma Kinan theme.  Probably not my favorite town theme in Suikoden III, although it's a shockingly decent competition.  Parallel Universe is somewhat unnervingly perky, like... I dunno, like they took a moody unsettling piece then shifted it into major keys or something.  I do think the sound set Suikoden III uses hinders the track a bit, which is enough for the edge I think.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask- Song of Healing vs Wild ARMs: Alter Code F- Murdering Princess - I've always found the way I remember Murdering Princess is a bit better than it really is.  But that's because I remember it being like the best song in ACF and it's merely pretty good, although loops too quick.  Song of Healing (much like MM in general) never tickled me like the big OoT songs.  now if it were Oath to Order...

Rhythm Heaven Megamix- Flock Step vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Seas- Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze - *shrug* I got nothin'.
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness vs Final Fantasy XIV- Steel Reason - Steel Reason reminds me a bit of Judgement Day from FFVII, except with guitar.  Nothin' wrong with that.  Toccata into Blood-Soaked Darkness, as implied by the name, is the mosts Castlevania of Castlevania themes.  Well, except maybe this but that's unfair, it's a fan cover.  I think Steel Reason just takes a bit too long to really get going by comparison.
Little Inferno- Reporting From the Weather Balloon vs  NieR Automata- Wretched Weaponry - I think Reporting from the Weather Balloon is like the best inspirational commercial song ever?  I do not know why my brain immediately goes there but it does.  Wretched Weaponry does not entirely live up to the standard of its namesake, lacks a real hook. 
NieR- Kainé/Salvation vs Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate- Noble Monster - I'm finding NOble Monster hard to remember.  Kainé (Salvation) sounds like tears.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 07:54:59 AM »
Not really feeling either of these.  Locus is weird, which is cool in its own way, but I'm not sure it's weird I'd hype out of game, so sure, Guile wins.
Oh hey more of the good Undertale music.

I like the Deemo music nom'd, but standing by an old favorite.
Sure, but it does feel like it loops too fast.  Both probably lose to both entrants above.

more like rhythym hell megamix amirite
Close one.  I like Steel Reason more than the above two FF14 pieces though.

Nier fanboyism, but the other two are good!

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 03:57:31 AM »
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Locus  vs  Street Fighter II- Guile’s Theme
Undertale- Hopes and Dreams  vs  Final Fantasy XIV- Brute Justice’s Theme
Deemo- Parallel Universe  vs  Suikoden III- Mysterious People
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask- Song of Healing  vs  Wild ARMs: Alter Code F- Murdering Princess

Rhythm Heaven Megamix- Flock Step  vs  Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Seas- Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness  vs  Final Fantasy XIV- Steel Reason
Little Inferno- Reporting From the Weather Balloon  vs   NieR Automata- Wretched Weaponry
NieR- Kainé/Salvation  vs  Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate- Noble Monster

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 07:11:52 PM »
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Locus vs Street Fighter II- Guile’s Theme - oh look it's the "stuff Jim put on his music quiz" matchup.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask- Song of Healing vs Wild ARMs: Alter Code F- Murdering Princess - this was a tough choice

NieR- Kainé/Salvation vs Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate- Noble Monster - Kaine/Salvation is the most raw, emotional music from Nier's entire soundtrack, and used brilliantly in-game.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 08:22:59 PM »
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward- Locus- iiiii vs Street Fighter II- Guile’s Theme - iiiiiiii
Undertale- Hopes and Dreams- iiiiiiiiii vs Final Fantasy XIV- Brute Justice’s Theme - ii
Deemo- Parallel Universe- iiiiiiiiii vs Suikoden III- Mysterious People - iii
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask- Song of Healing- i vs Wild ARMs: Alter Code F- Murdering Princess - iiiiiiiiiii

Rhythm Heaven Megamix- Flock Step- ii vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Seas- Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze - iiiiiiiiii
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness- iiiiii vs Final Fantasy XIV- Steel Reason - iiiiii [15:21] <CKDLbot> 10,0CmdrKing rolled :2,0 1d2 --> 3,0[ 1d2=2 ]4,0{2}
Little Inferno- Reporting From the Weather Balloon- iiiiii vs  NieR Automata- Wretched Weaponry - iiiiii [15:22] <CKDLbot> 10,0CmdrKing rolled :2,0 1d2 --> 3,0[ 1d2=2 ]4,0{2}
NieR- Kainé/Salvation- iiiiii vs Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate- Noble Monster - iiiiii [15:22] <CKDLbot> 10,0CmdrKing rolled :2,0 1d2 --> 3,0[ 1d2=2 ]4,0{2}
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.